PDA

View Full Version : Ash="street wise kid?" thread

charizardpal
30th August 2007, 5:23 AM
Even if you don't read this first post, please post contributions as to why Ash is portrayed as a street-wise kid in the anime.

Ash always uses a lot of questionable slang, (i.e. "I'm gonna beat Gary!"), and in the American Advanced Generation theme the first line is "A kid from pallet town.....don' know whatz ahe'd but it won't get the best of me!" which exemplifies his defiant attitude.
It's actually contrastive to my expectations of a well-manner and sweet talking kid since Ash is usually thought of as "a momma's boy." And so I wonder why the series creators deliberately instilled this speech characteristic in developing Ash's character, and I think it was used for contrast, and perhaps to appeal to the faction that think "being informal is cool."

As a student of Japanese, I further presume Ash's arrogance and clipped syllables was an attempt by the dub to localize Ash's informal speech and reluctance to use honorifics from the Japanese version. ;09;

Xaralampos
30th August 2007, 12:44 PM
I did not understant that.

Riolu boy
30th August 2007, 12:50 PM
I dont understand this aswell.

Artorias
30th August 2007, 12:54 PM
Ash is a very cocky kid, 15/16 of the time not knowing what he is up against.

Ash is the perfect example of a pimp. He attracts girls for Christ's sake!

~-Overheat-~
30th August 2007, 12:59 PM
Even if you don't read this first post, please post contributions as to why Ash is portrayed as a street-wise kid in the anime.

Ash always uses a lot of questionable slang, (i.e. "I'm gonna beat Gary!"), and in the American Advanced Generation theme the first line is "A kid from pallet town.....don' know whatz ahe'd but it won't get the best of me!" which exemplifies his defiant attitude.
It's actually contrastive to my expectations of a well-manner and sweet talking kid since Ash is usually thought of as "a momma's boy." And so I wonder why the series creators deliberately instilled this speech characteristic in developing Ash's character, and I think it was used for contrast, and perhaps to appeal to the faction that think "being informal is cool."

As a student of Japanese, I further presume Ash's arrogance and clipped syllables was an attempt by the dub to localize Ash's informal speech and reluctance to use honorifics from the Japanese version. ;09;

I thought it was ' I came from Pallet Town'

I dont get the thread....

Cassiel
30th August 2007, 1:01 PM
Huh? I don't really understand, but like Mr. Munchlax's says, he's really a pimp.

Kazuki Mirai
30th August 2007, 2:04 PM
Huh? I don't really understand, but like Mr. Munchlax's says, he's really a pimp.

Harem syndrome. XD

Erm.... Isn't it typical for shounens to be.. cocky and all? I mean it's common and its often used as a plot element to get the story going and development which it lacks.

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th August 2007, 3:54 PM
"Gonna" is street now?

I think the TC is trying to sound intelligent.

AshfanGirl20
30th August 2007, 8:02 PM
This is odd, I've never really noticed he used those types of words, hmm. But yes Ash is a pimp.

red2000
31st August 2007, 12:36 AM
Naruto, Tai from Digimon, Lan from Mega Man, Ring any bells, and since when has being street-wise and just some lame informal kid trying 2 be cool the same thing?

Venastois
31st August 2007, 6:15 AM
it's not. that's the point.

although i agree with some of what's in the first post, mainly about the honorifics, Ash is the typical, arguably stereotypical, shounen male protagonist.

it's not uncommon for characters to act like that. get over it.