PDA

View Full Version : Ill-Will Hunting! (513)

Serebii
30th August 2007, 8:37 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/513.jpgHunter J Again! Protect Shieldon!

On the way to the next town, Ash & Co. come across some Shieldon, the rare fossil Pokémon. However, nearby, the Pokémon Hunter, J, has arrived and intends to get these Shieldon. Ash is eager to try and stop this and in doing so is in pursuit of Hunter J. During this pursuit, out of nowhere comes Gary & his Electivire...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/513.shtml)

Discuss

uber gon
30th August 2007, 8:49 PM
Did Electivire undergo the "Aipom and Roselia- wrong size" gag?

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th August 2007, 8:59 PM
Beedrill! They've been on hiatus for a while, but they know how to make an entrace.

And I see Gary got to see Muku.BIRD with his own eyes, eh?

uber gon
31st August 2007, 12:00 AM
Beedrill! They've been on hiatus for a while, but they know how to make an entrace.

And I see Gary got to see Muku.BIRD with his own eyes, eh?

Staravia didn't do that much, though.

Alfonso
31st August 2007, 12:09 AM
does Ash real catch Shieldon or is that a lie?

It was a lie.

Geodude
31st August 2007, 12:41 AM
So typical of this site that the first question asked about a great episode where two important characters return is whether Ash caught something. -_-

uber gon
31st August 2007, 12:45 AM
So typical of this site that the first question asked is whether Ash caught something. -_-

Well Ash hasn't caught any pokémon, whereas Brock and Dawn have caught SOMETHING.

Anyway, has HYDRO CANNON been used in this episode?

Flamez
31st August 2007, 5:48 AM
^ That's because they gave Ash 4 pokemon well before the first gym. There is no hurry to give him his fifth. Ash got Torkoal (his 5th pokemon in hoenn) after the fourth gym and Ash has yet to battle the third gym leader so... Besides the writers should use this time to develop on the pokemon he has, Turtwig has been doing good and so has Aipom. Mukubird will get its development also.

Anyways, saw the episode. I really liked it but this is one of those episodes that I wished I knew Japanese for. I really would've liked to understand the conversations between Ash and Gary, J and that old guy.

Still the episode was awesome, first time we saw Mukubird use "stealth" flying. lol
It makes that look awesome too, the bird is freakin amazing.

I like how Drapion and Salamence were shown to be such powerhouses.

It was great to see Umbreon, its my favorite out of all the other evolutions eevee has.

Also for anyone who has seen this episode and understands japanese what did Hikari say at the end when Gary and the others left?

Aaron_fan
31st August 2007, 5:51 AM
I really liked this episode, but it seemed to be...bluntly wrapped up in the end, if that makes any sense. This is the kind of episode that would have been better had it been a two-parter.

Mythic Mist
31st August 2007, 7:53 AM
I just want to know what the heck they were saying...This is one of those episodes you need to know the dialog to actually know what's happening.

Though I think Dawn made a Pokemon poem in the end and freaked that she could do it like professor Oak. I dunno.

Kazuki Mirai
31st August 2007, 8:56 AM
Lots of action in this episode.

Hydro Cannon effect was extremely... meh.

Whoo. The hunters once again show that they're not pushovers and what's this? A boss? The guy in the shadows reminds me of Blaine from the games not that I'm saying it's Blaine, I'm just saying that their character designs look similar.

Umbreon knows Shadow Ball... How many Pokemon knows Shadow Ball for crying out loud?

Venusaur Master
31st August 2007, 10:27 AM
the episode looks good, it was great to see blastoise and electivire again, I wasnt sure if blastoise was using hydro cannon

Hyourinmaru
31st August 2007, 10:35 AM
Since I've totally not been keeping up with Pokemon news, I totally choked to see Shigeru. Literally.

AWESOME EP. Much needed returns and sdhskjfk J is sexy :D

ChaosMage
31st August 2007, 12:54 PM
So J has now had two appearances while Team Galactic, at least confirmed to exist, haven't done a thing? Interesting...

This looks like a good'un, with some long awaited returns and a few questions about Gary answered (Yes, people, he is in this region!). Shame neither J nor Gary had a new pokemon, though.

MechaBulba
31st August 2007, 1:38 PM
This ep looks gd! Nice to see that Golbat again! Aswell as all Js and Garys pokemon (apart from Dodrio)

Shame no one captured one of them Dinosaurs! Thats two decent ground types in a row that both fit and liked Ash. That he has ignored!

OH WELL!
was the truck still moving when Ash sent out Mukubird? As if so their could have been another classic bash to the heda gag for Mukubird on the axel!

Treecko Girl
31st August 2007, 1:44 PM
I really liked this episode, but it seemed to be...bluntly wrapped up in the end, if that makes any sense. This is the kind of episode that would have been better had it been a two-parter.

I agree with you.
I'm so glad that Gary's come back! I don't think this is the last we'll see of him!

Heartless_Enigma
31st August 2007, 2:32 PM
Who else here thinks that the Shieldons sounded like Hippopotases?

cassius335
31st August 2007, 4:43 PM
Note both times Pikachu tried to fight against a Hunter Pokemon, it got it's little backside kicked. I'm not sure whether that's in the Hunters favour or whether the writers just can't make up their minds about Pika's power level

AshfanGirl20
31st August 2007, 7:06 PM
I saw the images and it looks like a pure gold episode.
Can any one give me a transcript between J/Ash/Gary?

133tSneasel
31st August 2007, 8:59 PM
Who else here thinks that the Shieldons sounded like Hippopotases?

Well they are babies and ground types, so maybe the used the same voice actors.

was the truck still moving when Ash sent out Mukubird?
I don't think so it was right before the truck took off.

How many Pokemon knows Shadow Ball for crying out loud?
Every dark type uses Shadow Ball from what I can see. I think they use Ghost as a dark attack, because each pokemon needs some projectile type of attack. (Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Razor Leaf, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, etc...) There are no Dark type moves except Shadow Claw, and Umbreon doesn't have claws. PLus Gray's Umbreon also knows Quick Attack, and if I remember correctly, it's fast too.

Did Electivire undergo the "Aipom and Roselia- wrong size" gag?

Yes, a few times. Big heads all the way.

Korobooshi Kojiro
31st August 2007, 9:07 PM
Tatetops sounded like he visited the same vocal coach as Naetle to me...

However, Drapion=Kamex=Hariyama=Elekible=Odile

uber gon
31st August 2007, 9:33 PM
Lots of action in this episode.

Hydro Cannon effect was extremely... meh.

Whoo. The hunters once again show that they're not pushovers and what's this? A boss? The guy in the shadows reminds me of Blaine from the games not that I'm saying it's Blaine, I'm just saying that their character designs look similar.

Umbreon knows Shadow Ball... How many Pokemon knows Shadow Ball for crying out loud?

How was HYDRO PUMP'S effect "meh"?

Darn, I was hoping DARK PULSE would be shown on Umbreon.

Kazuki Mirai
1st September 2007, 2:53 AM
How was HYDRO PUMP'S effect "meh"?

Hydro Cannon. I'm pretty sure Gary command it in their battle against Hunter J unless my ears aren't functioning? I was expecting Hydro Cannon to be well.... powerful compared to Hydro Pump.

Alfonso
1st September 2007, 3:00 AM
Since it'll be a while before I get around to this episode, was Gary wearing his lab coat at all during the ep?

Weav-vile
1st September 2007, 3:39 AM
The last few DP episodes (Hippopopopopopotas', Mismagius', Electrike's) were just perfect and they made me laugh a LOT, really.
And... I already knew that DP 45 would not make me laugh as much as I did before, and I wasn't really hyper for it, but... It was still good.
All I - WE - need now is Sushi to come here and tell us about the dialogues and stuff, 'cause I never got THAT lost watching a DP episode since the beginning of the series. XD

[ Kinda OFF this topic ]
And, oh. I'm actually pretty worried about what in this world the writers are gonna do with Mimiroru, Mukkubado, Usuki and Pinpuku. Seriously, guys, they haven't done much lately. I need and want them to have a special episode - each one of them. I really need it, really bad. :(
I mean... When was the last time Mimiroru actually won a battle? (DP 10, I think, against Team Rocket) Is Mukkubado as good as Taillow was? (I hate to compare them, BUT...) What about Usuki? My, it does nothing. At all. :/ And Pinpuku, poor little thing! Since it was born it never showed that super-strenght again (maybe in DP 39, but not with Brock). GAH.
Ah, and I like Pochama, but, y'know, Hikari wouldn't die if she used another pokémon of hers more often than she uses it. May, at least, didn't use Torchic a whole lot more than she used Beautifly or Skitty... Hikari, IMO, has a much better team, but the writers just won't let her use every one of them. =(

[/ Kinda OFF this topic ] -- Sorry & Thx :)

Since it'll be a while before I get around to this episode, was Gary wearing his lab coat at all during the ep?

Nope. But I'm still curious to know what the heck is he doing in Sinnoh... I don't know if he's still a "scientist" or if he's a trainer again. My, I wish he still acted like he doesn't like Ash. [note: I hated his japanese voice. First time I heard it XD :/]

Alfonso
1st September 2007, 4:12 AM
Weav-vile, you brought up some interesting points, but the answer should be obvious. Parawhatchu or whatever it's called, because it's honestly one of my least favorite Pokemon from D/P so I honestly cannot be bothered remembering it's name, is basically the 'Pikachu' of the generation, being all cutesy and girly and almost... well, killable. Wouldn't you love to see Probopass just smash through a wall, come out with some witty, Marx-esque one liner and then gouge the little rat with it's nose?

Hmmmm?

Anyway, my point is, they're using Parawhatchu a hell of a lot more because it's 'cuter' and it 'appeals' more. Also because it has electric attacks, it can do a lot more than a basic Normal Pokemon could. Note that apart from Aipom, the characters rarely catch normal Pokemon, and when they do, they're either not used much or start using other elemental based attacks. (Eevee learned Shadow Ball didn't it? >_>)

Personally I find Buneary's crush a hell of a lot more interesting than that thing. :/

*still waiting on Probopass*

Speaking of the episode itself, I just knew he wouldn't be wearing his scientist coat. The writers like I stated previously were KICKING themselves for dumping Gary so he could be a wimpy Scientist. So they slowly brought him back in, now as a trainer- if they haven't given him a purpose in this series I'll lol, as it'll prove just as worse a plot point as the G/S Ball and Kurt.

tmp1114
1st September 2007, 4:39 AM
And why gary keep stoping ash from capture hunter J it not like hunter j and gary met before.

zeno48
1st September 2007, 4:51 AM
Did gary get a new japanese voice or is it the same as the first episode and does anyone know what he and Ash were talking about? I like the episode because this is the first time I see Ash and Gary double battle and interact since they don't talk much but now look at them. They have both changed and matured and it makes me cry lol. Anyway J is really strong to be able to take out Ash and Gary like that and I liked how the scene were Ash was angry and the look on his face was priceless. I also like how Dawn seemed to have a crush on him. I am not sure if it's a crush but anyway IMO I give this episode a 10/10 and I hope we see more of Ash and Gary interactions and battles. (Hopes for a Paul and Gary battle and Paul and Ash double battle)Can someone please explain to me what Ash and gary were saying? I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.:)

133tSneasel
1st September 2007, 7:37 AM
And why gary keep stoping ash from capture hunter J it not like hunter j and gary met before.

Because if Ash does that, The he is stepping down to her level. And Gary knows there are better ways to catch a villain, or she will screw up again.

Prominence
1st September 2007, 11:57 AM
Nice to see Electivire and Gary again. I'm hoping to see Magmortar soon...

Sushi
1st September 2007, 3:27 PM
Did gary get a new japanese voice or is it the same as the first episode and does anyone know what he and Ash were talking about?
1) Nope, it was the same voice he always had.
2) It was mostly them arguing about which strategy was better. Gary thought it was better to hide or run away from them and join up with Rowan/Jenny before J and Co. could find them, while Ash wanted to confront them directly and keep them busy until Jenny would arrive and arrest J.

Both opinions had their bad sides of course - if they went with Gary's plan, J would escape again and capture dozens of other Pokémon elsewhere, but the problem with Ash's strategy was also that they'd willingly put the Shieldon in danger.

When one of the Shieldon was caught and Gary and Ash hid under the car, they admitted their mistakes and thought of a new plan to rescue it.

But I'm still curious to know what the heck is he doing in Sinnoh... I don't know if he's still a "scientist" or if he's a trainer again. My, I wish he still acted like he doesn't like Ash.
Well, not an exact answer to your question, but since he did say in the last AG episode that he'd return to Sinnoh, it made sense that...well, that he was still there XD

He's still a researcher (and not a trainer), though I think the protection of the Shieldon was a side project that Rowan had initiated, and Gary simply joined it.

And this is just my opinion, but Gary never seemed to act like he actually disliked Ash, he just couldn't stop making fun of him, but that's a sign for him paying attention to Ash rather than disliking him, I think :p

I had to laugh when Ash and Gary had a coffee-party-like conversation while hanging from the underpart of a driving car, but okay =D

It was also funny that Dawn thought Gary could make senryuus just because he was Oak's grandson.

I liked Gary a bit less than in "Home is where the Start is" this time - partly because he was devoid of any emotion whatsoever in the first half (acting like it was the most ordinary thing ever to bump into two +one familiar faces that you haven't seen it quite a while? o.o) or because he was so all-dominant throughout the entire episode.

I could understand it for the most part, seeing how he knew both the Shieldon and the area better than the group did so he was the most suitable as a leader, but what gave him the right to stop Ash when J was about to fly off? He knew she wouldn't attempt to capture Shieldon any more, so I didn't see the problem in trying to fight her once more.

Oh well, I was still happy to see him, and since we got semi-confirmation from himself that he'll meet Ash again in Sinnoh, it's all good.

Snorunt conservationist
1st September 2007, 7:21 PM
Nice to see Electivire and Gary again. I'm hoping to see Magmortar soon...

Yeah me too. Seeing an anime version of it will give me even more ammunition to laugh at it and wonder why anyone would think it was a good idea.

On topic, Electivire really is ugly.

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st September 2007, 7:50 PM
Shut yo mouth.

Magmortar is epic.

uber gon
2nd September 2007, 12:13 AM
Hydro Cannon. I'm pretty sure Gary command it in their battle against Hunter J unless my ears aren't functioning? I was expecting Hydro Cannon to be well.... powerful compared to Hydro Pump.

And it wasn't that powerful?

Maybe we need video evidence to confirm this.

S.Suikun
2nd September 2007, 3:26 AM
Having gone home for the weekend, I finally had the chance to watch this episode (Don't want my new roommates to catch me watching Pogeymonz, heh)

The original Pokemon Hunter episode still remains my favorite episode of DP, and this was a worthy enough follow-up. The action was pretty consistant, with J being the same heartless b**** she was in her debut episode. And wh0ring out Movie 9 music seems to be the cool thing to do now. I also loved Gary's unmoving stare when he first saw Muku.BIRD. (Trust me, if you saw Jesus, I'm sure you would do the exact same thing.) If I had any beefs with this episode, it's that the Shieldon didn't actually do anything. I would have at least like to have seen one of them attempt an attack.

zeno48
2nd September 2007, 4:53 AM
Having gone home for the weekend, I finally had the chance to watch this episode (Don't want my new roommates to catch me watching Pogeymonz, heh)

The original Pokemon Hunter episode still remains my favorite episode of DP, and this was a worthy enough follow-up. The action was pretty consistant, with J being the same heartless b**** she was in her debut episode. And wh0ring out Movie 9 music seems to be the cool thing to do now. I also loved Gary's unmoving stare when he first saw Muku.BIRD. (Trust me, if you saw Jesus, I'm sure you would do the exact same thing.) If I had any beefs with this episode, it's that the Shieldon didn't actually do anything. I would have at least like to have seen one of them attempt an attack.

Why are you worried about what your friends think? I think you should suck it up and tell them that you gasp*like pokemon*. It's like confessing that you are gay. Anyway I agree with you on everything except for the your comment on how the shieldon didn't do anything. How could they? They were being garded and hiding in terror. Trying not to get caught.

AnimeDutchess
2nd September 2007, 5:23 AM
this episode definitely made my summer. *rubs hands together* Seeing Gary again was freaking awesome; i KNEW the writers couldn't ignore him forever, although an earlier apperance would have been more consistant with the earlier seasons (i mean, COME ON, episode 45? should have been episode 15, for Mew's sake...).

I also liked the Ash/Gary character interaction, but Dawn's reaction to Gary was priceless. predictable, but priceless. You knew she'd bring up the poetry bit eventually, but that made the actual "bringing-up" part all the more funny.

Anyway, back to Ash and Gary. I really liked that they just both clung to the underside of the car like that, and how they really battled well together. when they met up, though, it would have been better for both of them to be at least a little shocked/surprised. It's like, you randomly bump into your ex-rival and you're both kinda serious instead of going like, "Wow, this is unexpected!" (granted, they've been randomly bumping into each other since the first episode, so i guess acting surprised eventually loses its charm). I love how Ash ran after him, though. That was cute. ^^

Hunter J was, of course, evil. Interesting that she's answering to either a mysterious Higher-up or a really big client. He could just be some random client, yah know, but i have no idea what they were saying.

Team Rocket...i feel bad for 'em. ^^; i know they were captured and all, but it reminded me too much of a time-out. And time-outs suck in general. ^^;

Oh, one last thing. The Shieldon really seem to like Gary. it's probably because he and his (coughBUTTUGLYANDSHOW-OFF-ISHcough) Electivire were protecting them, but the hug was still cute. And then Ash got to hug one! I can easily see why it could've been mistaked for a capture...i'm glad there wasn't one though. it would've made the episode TOO loaded with excitement.

Bliksem
3rd September 2007, 5:29 AM
I have to say that I really didn't like the episode. The pacing seemed really off, and the animation was just really bad. It's good to see that at least some bad guys aren't push-overs, and J remains my favorite character of the new season. The fact that she, Drapion and Salamence fended off Ash and Gary without some much as breaking a sweat really means a lot. I'm not looking forward to when she finally falls.

Unfortunately, even though Gary made an appearance, it really didn't help the episode that much. It just made it seem like Ash was really hyper-aggressive, and Gary had to stop him every five minutes. Plus, when they released Staravia, they could've actually shown it *doing* something rather then just a still of it moving into the bushes. They didn't even show it coming back with the reinforcements.

The double battle between J and Ash/Gary was fun to watch. But other than that, this episode was kinda bleh.

uber gon
3rd September 2007, 7:28 AM
I have to say that I really didn't like the episode. The pacing seemed really off, and the animation was just really bad. It's good to see that at least some bad guys aren't push-overs, and J remains my favorite character of the new season. The fact that she, Drapion and Salamence fended off Ash and Gary without some much as breaking a sweat really means a lot. I'm not looking forward to when she finally falls.

Unfortunately, even though Gary made an appearance, it really didn't help the episode that much. It just made it seem like Ash was really hyper-aggressive, and Gary had to stop him every five minutes. Plus, when they released Staravia, they could've actually shown it *doing* something rather then just a still of it moving into the bushes. They didn't even show it coming back with the reinforcements.

The double battle between J and Ash/Gary was fun to watch. But other than that, this episode was kinda bleh.

Could someone describe the battle?

Blaziryu
3rd September 2007, 3:55 PM
This episode was good. Now all they have to do is make a episode of Gary meeting Shinji & battle each other.

Dragodynamite
3rd September 2007, 9:06 PM
i begun to wonder in a sec when gary looked weird on dawn, and she kept glaring on him, then she said some wird stuff at the end, i begin too wonder if Dawn got a crush on gary or something :s

Korobooshi Kojiro
3rd September 2007, 9:13 PM
No.

Dawn at first thought because Gary was Oak's grandson, he'd be good at Haiku's like Oak (Gary ths sweatdrops at this).

After the end, Gary says a Haiku as he's leaving and then Dawn points this out and smiles.

uber gon
4th September 2007, 9:28 PM
No.

Dawn at first thought because Gary was Oak's grandson, he'd be good at Haiku's like Oak (Gary ths sweatdrops at this).

After the end, Gary says a Haiku as he's leaving and then Dawn points this out and smiles.

Guess Gary is beginning to be a young Prof. Oak, then.

Bliksem
6th September 2007, 3:23 PM
Could someone describe the battle?

Alright, since no one's answered you.

Battle 1: J's Second in Command (SiC)
~The Hunter's land craft arrives on the scene.
~Gary sends out Blastoise and has it Hydro Pump the land craft.
~Gary tells Ash to command a Thunderbolt from Pikachu, shorting out the landcraft.
~The SiC sends out a Golbat, the same from the first Hunter episode, who uses Air Cutter to send Blastoise rolling.
~Gary prevents Ash from joining in the fight and sends in Umbreon, who spins in the air before using Sand Attack on Golbat.
~Umbreon tricks Golbat into hitting a tree which holds Beedrill... we know what happens with that.

Battle 2: Hunter J
~J arrives on her Salamence and demands the Shieldon.
~Ash immediately commands an Iron Tail, which J blocks with her ray gun. He tells the others to escape.
~The force sends her sliding back, though she smoothly calls out Drapion after recovering.
~Drapion uses Cross Poison, flooring Pikachu almost instantly.
~Gary joins in the fight and commands a Hydro Cannon from Blastoise.
~Salamence counters with a Hyper Beam, and the two attacks evaporate.
~One of the Shieldon, the one that seems to be hocked up on depressants, slipped, and J turns and freezes it with her gun. She so calm, cool and collected! <3 There's not so much of a 'huh' or 'what', just a turn and fire.
~Ash gets upset and has Pikachu fire a Thunderbolt, which arcs towards J.
~J calls Drapion's name, and the scorpion blocks the Thunderbolt with a defensive Cross Poison.
~Ash and J exchange words, with J commanding a Pin Missile from Drapion and a Hyper Beam from Salamence.
~Ash and Gary counter with Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump, respectively.
~The four attacks struggle for a second before the Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump give and the 'good guys' are blown away.

I do like J. She's just the calm villian the show needed. If only it were a bit darker; she'd go great with any fanfiction that doesn't soften her up. She's great at her job, she probably enjoys it, and she has no remorse. It's excellent.

uber gon
6th September 2007, 6:36 PM
Could someone describe how HYDRO CANNON was portrayed?

Kazuki Mirai
6th September 2007, 6:39 PM
Could someone describe how HYDRO CANNON was portrayed?

A Hydro Pump with sparkles. Disappointing.

uber gon
7th September 2007, 12:56 AM
A Hydro Pump with sparkles. Disappointing.

**** man, and the writers made FRENZY PLANT so much cooler.

Here's hoping BLAST BURN has SOMETHING cool.

Sir Lucario
13th October 2007, 8:07 AM
I wonder When will Hunter J reappear in the anime , probably the next time it will be in Pallet Town after it knows where most of Ash & Gary pokemon were. Who Knows? DP is getting more and more interesting.

turtle twig
16th October 2007, 1:13 AM
Anybody know what Hunter J was saying at the end of the episode (with that evil smile)? Did it maybe hint at something?

uber gon
16th October 2007, 7:15 AM
I wonder When will Hunter J reappear in the anime , probably the next time it will be in Pallet Town after it knows where most of Ash & Gary pokemon were. Who Knows? DP is getting more and more interesting.

Maybe she'll steal Misty's rare water pokémon IF she EVER makes a cameo.

WaterDragon trainer
12th January 2008, 5:06 PM
This episode was good. It was cool to see a Shieldon in the anime. It was also cool to see Gary, Electivire, and Professor Rowan again. It was also cool to see a Hydro Cannon for the first time. It was funny when Dawn got all excited about Gary’s “poem”.

mangod/pikachu
12th January 2008, 5:50 PM
Today's episode was good. I liked seeing Gary return for an episode and the Shieldon were nice. It seems Gary has matured a lot since he was in Kanto. Maybe even more than Ash? The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Hunter Jay. Seriously, if she tried to steal one of my Pokémon she would get herself a good punch in the face and maybe a beating. I don't care if she is a girl.

Dattebayo
12th January 2008, 5:56 PM
It's good to see Gary back. I haven't seen him in a long time. I'm quite disappointed that the voice actors failed to make J's goons and dealers to sound more creepy like Frieza's minions and Orochimaru's servants.

Dax
12th January 2008, 8:31 PM
I don't know why but I thought Umbreon was the coolest thing in this episode. That little pose when Gary recalled it was awesome and the way it battled was also great.

AshfanGirl20
12th January 2008, 8:40 PM
Pretty good dube episode. The fights were nice and the Ash/Gary team up was cool. Was disapointed TR didn't run into the gang, Gary would have been shocked to see that there still following him LOL. Hunter J is just as creepy as ever, I hope she returns soon, maybe to give revenge or some thing.

uber gon
13th January 2008, 1:54 AM
Hydro...Cannon...Sucked...

Other than that, pretty good episode.

CabbyFish
13th January 2008, 2:55 AM
Yeah, Hydro Cannon leaves something to be desired.

Why is it that Gary would tell Blastoise to use Water Gun on the truck when it in fact knows Hydro Pump? Speaking of Blastoise, why does it not sound stocked? Then again, Umbreon wasn't so who am I to complain. I don't remember how Umbreon sounded in the old dub though.

Dax
13th January 2008, 3:36 AM
I think Umbreon sounded the same.

MidnightTheMightyena
13th January 2008, 3:43 AM
Sheldon where adorable^^ And Rowan must have been magic to get over there that fast. Oo I mean considering it took Ash and everyone else a few weeks to get there.

Then again Mt. Cornet is closer... Whatever, you get my point. ;262;

dman_dustin
13th January 2008, 3:57 AM
Hydro...Cannon...Sucked...

Other than that, pretty good episode.

i didn't like it either but maybe it's because it didn't get to do anything.

Shieldon running up to Ash (in the end) was awesome

uber gon
13th January 2008, 10:43 AM
i didn't like it either but maybe it's because it didn't get to do anything.

Shieldon running up to Ash (in the end) was awesome

Which is sad considering the fact that Blastoise is Gary's starter.

Fost325
13th January 2008, 9:33 PM
Yeah personally I think Gary's hydro cannon on his blastoise was very blah..
Although I loved his umbreon when in battle. I love seeing when every he uses that thing!

Corzola
14th January 2008, 10:48 AM
Vey good ep, Garys return was great and his Umbreon rocked. I hoped for a longer battle against J with his Blastoise but I guess they had no time to show such a thing.

Having Gary say that much had changed since they last met are kind of symbolic for the show, D/P is different and therefore the characters.

8/10 points.

Rebeccag
14th January 2008, 12:24 PM
I enjoyed this episode it was cool to see Gary back again and it was good to see some Gary/Dawn interaction. I also liked the Sheildon they were kinda cute ^_^. Meeting J again was good as well and i hope she comes back in some other episodes in the future

uber gon
14th January 2008, 7:37 PM
Yeah personally I think Gary's hydro cannon on his blastoise was very blah..
Although I loved his umbreon when in battle. I love seeing when every he uses that thing!

Hopefully Hydro Cannon will look more bad *** the next time we see it.

Heh, imagine if a main character (besides Gary) had Umbreon.:D

Poke'T<3
14th January 2008, 8:33 PM
I can personally say i thought this episode was pretty freaking dull. I was VERY unhappy to see how they completely dulled Garys character to all the rest of DP characters levels. I miss the fun witty remarks to Ash but at the same time he showed he respected and thought ash was good. Why would professor oak talk about Dawn they barely said a word to eachother and how did Gary know that J wanted Pikachu? I was completely delighted to see Umbreon though and how are they gonna make pikachu look all weak against a freaking golbat?

Umbreon_13
14th January 2008, 8:46 PM
i don't get the point here why are we talking about an epesode that never happened unless your hoping the writers will see the site and use this story

Poke'T<3
14th January 2008, 8:47 PM
^^ wow this episode deffinately did happen...

Dax
14th January 2008, 10:21 PM
The thing is that they finished his rivalry with Ash. Paul is the main rival now so all of the interaction they had earlier has now developed into something else.

lightdash
15th January 2008, 3:53 AM
The dub version was just mildly amusing. Liked how Gary reacted to Dawn when she asked for a poem. Then at the end also, she thought it was a poem. Ehh, those are probably the only good parts.

CyberCubed
15th January 2008, 7:17 AM
Really well done episode overall, if only a bit too rushed toward the ending. J needs a two-parter for her next appearance.

And Dawn was funny at the end. Her dub voice has really done a well done job with the character, she captures her very well.

Soiherduliekturtwig
15th January 2008, 5:19 PM
This Episode was one of the best of the D/P saga. It set the stage for many future complications Hunter J will bring to our Heroes, and it had the return of Gary...which its pretty cool to see someone from so long ago show up unexpectedly and kick *** doing so.

9/10

uber gon
15th January 2008, 7:47 PM
And here I thought that guy J was talking to was her boss. Turns out, it was just a client.

Blazios
15th January 2008, 7:57 PM
Is J a woman or not? I mean, half of the people is this episode referred to her as sir, but the rest referred to her as her or she.

Dax
15th January 2008, 8:59 PM
She is obviously a woman.

Blazios
15th January 2008, 9:06 PM
I'm guessing it was just a huge dubbing error then?

Durden
15th January 2008, 9:06 PM
- VERY disappointed with Blastoise's voice. It sounded like a machine compared to its 4kids voice. And at the same time, PUSA manages to make Umbreon sound exactly like it did with 4kids. Lame.

- Nice plot and episodes with J is great as always

- Gary! Nice to see him again

- Too much PUSA music and thus too little japanese music to make this episode enjoyable.

CyberCubed
15th January 2008, 9:32 PM
I didn't notice any change in Blastoise's voice, honestly they all sound the same to me.

pokefan18
15th January 2008, 11:08 PM
But Hunter J at the end still manages to capture a Sheildon at the end of the episode , right?!

Xtra
18th January 2008, 4:57 PM
She does manage to get one, but doesn't get away with it.

uber gon
19th January 2008, 12:36 AM
She does manage to get one, but doesn't get away with it.

Also, her "client" refuses to take it, thus pissing her off apparently.

RageKaiser
19th January 2008, 5:37 AM
- Too much PUSA music and thus too little japanese music to make this episode enjoyable.

My absolute biggest problem with this episode and the entire English dub for that matter.

Honestly, if they'd just keep the japanese music and use instrumental versions for the vocal songs, it'd be so much better.

Blastizard
19th January 2008, 11:58 AM
Blastoise and Pikachu were taken out FAR too easily - granted, the oposition were tough, but two pokemon with the experience that Blastoise and Pikachu should have shouldn't have been so blaitantly ineffective.

Genome
19th January 2008, 2:25 PM
The episode looked amazing from distance. But once you get down to the meat, it can get downright annoying.

Looks like the good action episodes are going to the crappy animation teams. Minor quirks like J's face and Salamence/Beedrill's flight sufferred from it, bothered me every now and then.

Average battles, too much like the game (i.e. Pokemon stand around waiting for the other to attack, they shoot beams at each other) It really sucked the potential from creative anime fighting, glad to see at least Umbreon and Golbat got their parts right, Drapion did alright so it's forgiven.

Also the colonel with the Golbat breaks out of prison to kick *** again! Surviving a mid-flight Volt Tackle last time, now completely knocking Pikachu and toise off their toes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Crobat by its next appearance.

Umbreon got some nice BGM at the start. Sounded like a rare dub track, but I dont think it was.

Some bad character treatment. Gary and Ash climbing under the car was the hook for Dawn and Brock, and before that they did minimal. Then to show how the new guy is mature, Ash naturally paints his face red and commits the most irrational act. And why did the client have to sound more menacing than Jay? I don't think I like this nice Gary at all, doesn't look like an episode could focus around him anymore. At least J's crew is noticable, I like her colonel (stick a personality on him), and the secretary with one of the good filler designs stuck around.

7/10 The use of characters was a little irritating for me.

I thought the original J plot would escalate to a 2-parter, not filler exclusive. And I hope Gary gets something important done in D/P, they stressed his lab being in Sinnoh quite much.

Cobalt_Latios
20th January 2008, 9:54 PM
My absolute biggest problem with this episode and the entire English dub for that matter.

Honestly, if they'd just keep the japanese music and use instrumental versions for the vocal songs, it'd be so much better.
Learn to enjoy a show for what the storyline/plot and characters are. Not for the icing.

The episode looked amazing from distance. But once you get down to the meat, it can get downright annoying.

Looks like the good action episodes are going to the crappy animation teams. Minor quirks like J's face and Salamence/Beedrill's flight sufferred from it, bothered me every now and then.

Average battles, too much like the game (i.e. Pokemon stand around waiting for the other to attack, they shoot beams at each other) It really sucked the potential from creative anime fighting, glad to see at least Umbreon and Golbat got their parts right, Drapion did alright so it's forgiven.

Also the colonel with the Golbat breaks out of prison to kick *** again! Surviving a mid-flight Volt Tackle last time, now completely knocking Pikachu and toise off their toes. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Crobat by its next appearance.

Umbreon got some nice BGM at the start. Sounded like a rare dub track, but I dont think it was.

Some bad character treatment. Gary and Ash climbing under the car was the hook for Dawn and Brock, and before that they did minimal. Then to show how the new guy is mature, Ash naturally paints his face red and commits the most irrational act. And why did the client have to sound more menacing than Jay? I don't think I like this nice Gary at all, doesn't look like an episode could focus around him anymore. At least J's crew is noticable, I like her colonel (stick a personality on him), and the secretary with one of the good filler designs stuck around.

7/10 The use of characters was a little irritating for me.

I thought the original J plot would escalate to a 2-parter, not filler exclusive. And I hope Gary gets something important done in D/P, they stressed his lab being in Sinnoh quite much.

I should reiterate that were not looking at a high quality anime. We're looking at a kids show. So there's bound to be quirks somewhere. Also, kids won't necessarily find those things either.

Personally, I really enjoyed this episode. Considering that Gary's voice actor is the only one who hasn't been switched out, and in fact has been given more roles, its great to hear him voice his original character (or make that original "major" character).

Overall, everything seemed rather well handled, and the fact that Hunter J. in very persistent made it that more entertaining. Although, I couldn't help but laugh at the voice they chose for her client: the narrator. Honestly, it completely screws up his "maliciousness" for the character, if he was supposed to have one.

I'd have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to see Hydro Cannon in this ep. Now all we need is Blast Burn and we're done. I was disappointed that Pika didn't use Volt Tackle. I mean, sure it would have ruined a plot device, but it would have been great to KO Drapion with it (if it connected, which I'm certain the writers would have prevented).

I'm thinking Shieldon had an okay appearance, granted next time it appears I hope we get to see it attack.

There were quite a few comedic moments in this one too. Team Rocket sneaking in to J's aircraft using a very cheap facade was simply hilarious, and the fact that Jessie got them caught thinking the security camera was a movie camera. Not to mention Dawn still under the impression that Professor Oak is merely a poet, not a researcher. Unfortunately, even Gary couldn't convince her.

I'd say, if you looked at the episode without doing any comparisons, or just looking at what you have and not going too deep, it works out pretty well.

8/10 for me.

~C_L~

RageKaiser
21st January 2008, 2:02 AM
Learn to enjoy a show for what the storyline/plot and characters are. Not for the icing.

You mean the repetitive plot and the 2/3 non-bland main characters? Okay then.

Cobalt_Latios
22nd January 2008, 7:17 PM
You mean the repetitive plot and the 2/3 non-bland main characters? Okay then.
You'll thank me later. Oh sure, the original version isn't less repetitive than this version, how so? And look who its targeted audience is, kids. Do you think they care? Probably not.

~C_L~

dman_dustin
31st January 2008, 2:55 PM
I'm guessing it was just a huge dubbing error then?

Sir is gender-neutral when referred to military ranks when a girl outranks you, you usually reply to a girl who outranks you with "Yes Sir" it happens a lot. It bugs me too because of the connotation that goes with the word "Sir"

Anyone else besides me really bugged about that jessie part where she's talking and all of a sudden she says "Bye" really annoyed me that part.

pi-pikachu1_1
2nd February 2008, 8:21 AM
the good thing: gary
bad thing: "a new coat of paint on an old canvas" kind of thing.. it just wasnt interesting
i hope the next hunter j episode is random, unpredictable, and unforeseen, meaning she just appears out of the blue

Bolt the Cat
21st February 2008, 3:28 AM
the good thing: gary
bad thing: "a new coat of paint on an old canvas" kind of thing.. it just wasnt interesting
i hope the next hunter j episode is random, unpredictable, and unforeseen, meaning she just appears out of the blue

1. I actually thought is was very interesting to see J come back. She kind of reminds me of Wes from Colosseum. Which is probably who she's designed after. Did anyone else notice that?

2. The Hunter J eps are fine the way they are.

Not to mention Dawn still under the impression that Professor Oak is merely a poet, not a researcher. Unfortunately, even Gary couldn't convince her.

Yeah. Dawn seems to be more interested in the Prof's poetry than research. She should get a life!

bhrettzerda053
26th March 2008, 3:06 AM
at first, i don't know who is hunter j yet. that's because i havent watched the episode yet. but i will know her soon....

wobbanut
27th August 2008, 4:03 AM
Yay, it was great to see Gary again. At least he has another appearance coming up down the road after this episode. I like the nice-guy Gary compared to the Gary of the first three seasons of the show. It was also great to see J again, she has been a good recurring villain, and much more compelling than Team Galactic.

DanChimchar
13th October 2008, 2:52 AM
Gary :D
I thought J was gonna be a one time evil person but looks like no anyways I love her evilness
Sheildon sounds so cute and sometimes looks cute.
Love Gary coming back

Rommath
31st January 2009, 6:58 PM
Gary's reappearance was good, seeing as he didn't show up at all in Hoenn, least he appeared in Sinnoh. J's an alright character, her crew and herself seems to be the secondary villains after Team Galactic in Sinnoh. I like the Shieldon, they were good fossil Pokemon. Surprised how easily Blastiose and Pikachu were taken down.

katfairy
1st February 2009, 1:30 AM
This was the nice Gary? Funny, it looked to me like he was backsliding a bit, deliberately pushing Ash's buttons the way he used to. It also looks like the writers can't decide if Gary is a jerk or not, so they just go back and forth depending on what they want for a particular story.

Hunter J- that's what a villain should be. I do love a good (fictional) sociopath.

Rommath
1st February 2009, 11:31 AM
Ah yes, I predict good things to come for Hunter J, especially when she makes her fourth appearance. I think you're right about Gary, one minute he's nice, next he's annoying them. Sort of like his next appearance. Overall a nice episode, the Shieldon were a lot better looking than the other fossil Pokemon, I thought. Gary's Umbreon is still great, the Shadow Ball looked good.

(s.i.e)
10th March 2009, 3:16 PM
it was a fun episode to watch i must say that only that hunter J is kinda annoying.

Littlemyuu
13th June 2009, 12:59 AM
It was a nice episode...but Hunter J annoyed me a bit..

S.Suikun
2nd July 2009, 1:00 AM
Now we're talking. After a brief stint through the filler wilderness, we get the long-awaited return of a character who's sheer evil motives won over an audience that had been waiting a full decade for a villain of her measure. Hunter J is no less relentless this time around, and even though she doesn't try to kill anybody this time, her approach is no less brutal. Oh, and Shigeru gets his Sinnoh debut at last, and what do you know, he's actually used in a great role here. We haven't seen much of the researcher side of Shigeru, and it's great to see him utilize his former trainer competence well. It's also pretty cool to see just how far the Satoshi/Shigeru relationship had come since Episode 1. No longer rivals, but always competitors. Shigeru's usage in Sinnoh is overall subdued, but this is his best appearance.

Tatetops is a pretty neat Pokemon, and it's a bit of a shame we don't get to see it do anything but cower here. Nonetheless, the other elements of the episode make up for it, with some pretty neat battles with J. The fact that she simultaneously took out both Satoshi and Shigeru goes to show how much of a threat she is, being leagues above previous villains. My one key complaint about this episode is the conclusion, in which the client cuts back and J ceases fire. Sure, it proves that she's intelligent enough to know she can't go any farther, but it's a cop-out to make up for the fact that the episode has no time left. In other words, this could have been a two-parter to make up for an anticlimax,o but as it stands, there was never a dull moment in the entire 22 minutes.

A-

Lorde
8th December 2009, 4:37 PM
I had always expected Shieldon to appear in Canalave or in Oreburgh since they are supposed to be extinct. Well whatever. I have no idea why they added Gary when he isn't even important anymore but it was ok to see him, even if he didn't play as big of a role as I would have liked. Glad Hunter J returned though. For the lack of an interesting storyline though, it gets a 4/10.

Ash-kid
12th December 2009, 1:51 PM
I loved that Gary returned to this episode.
J was so mean to the friends, but it was great that they have saved the Shieldon.

KGB13
5th February 2010, 11:42 AM
Sooo happy to see Gary again, he's one of my favorite characters. It was also really cool to see Electivire and Blastoise too since they're 2 of my top favorite pokemon. Overall this was a very cool episode, I liked it a lot.

Willow's Tara
31st May 2010, 10:09 AM
It was nice to see Gary again not to mention Electivire, Blastoise and Umbreon (It was in this episode right?).

Hunter J was of course again interesting and quite a badass villain, I think out of all villains she's the best at being a villain (I haven't seen the TC episodes past the Cressila VS Darkrai episode so I don't know about them yet). It makes me wonder where all these so called extinct Pokemon come from exactly. I guess cloned or in the fossil restoration but it's odd there seems to be so many,.

wind21
5th July 2010, 12:57 AM
All right. I'm skipping a few episodes since the last one. dp 42, dp 43, and dp 44 are fillers.

One difference b/w the Hoenn region and the Sinnoh region is that while the Hoenn region had the attitude of something completely new, Sinnoh draws upon a few familiar things: a fair amount of the new pokemon are just evolutions for pokemon already known from prior regions, and then Gary's here. I think the way Paul battled Ash in their first battle, using Elekid's Protect to defend against Pikachu's Volt Tackle (which is exactly the same thing Gary did with Electrivire against Pikachu at the very end of the Battle Frontier), demonstrated that Gary wasn't going to be needed too much in terms of being a rival for Ash- Paul is already a technical trainer. So, I suppose the question is what can Gary add to the dp show besides a nostalgia factor. Well, his biggest contribution to me is that he makes apparent a difference b/w Ash's and Dawn's characters. Gary is Ash's Zoey (insulting thought, isn't it?), someone who freely gives Ash what always seems to be sound and logical advice, earning praise from Brock and Dawn. The only problem is Ash doesn't appreciate it. Not even a little. Dawn may admire Zoey to no ends, but Ash isn't the admiring type. He's much more confident in his skills, and he sees no reason why Gary should think of himself as a superior trainer or someone better at tactics (unlike Dawn with Zoey; Dawn straightaway wants to see Zoey as a superior coordinator). I really like this, b/c I think I'm somewhat that way myself. I have a bad habit of rolling my eyes when people heap praise on my peers for just "sounding" good, if that's understandable (like Ash, people don't really heap praise on me, either, so I don't have to worry about that). Of course, Gary is aware of Ash's indignation and provokes him a little out of fun, although he doesn't do that on purpose this episode-this one is much too serious for that.

The best thing about this episode is that Ash isn't completely wrong about his reckless style, despite how Dawn and Brock respect Gary's cool, logical plans. One Sheildon does get captured by Hunter J, and Ash's quick surprise actions at the end of the episode allow him to recover it. As Hunter J is escaping, though, Ash is enraged and has to be held back by Gary. And Gary is right to do so; the 2 could have gotten in serious trouble if they had attempted to stop Hunter J and her many minions from leaving. Gary and Ash needed each other for this rescue to work, as they balanced each other out. But while Gary takes the logical approach, you still have to appreciate the more instinctive reaction from Ash; he knows more horrible wrong-doings will be done if Hunter J escapes, and he wants to stop it. And well, I like Ash for that. That's why he's an amazing character, b/c his emotions and intentions are easy to read when something means a lot to him.

Gary makes a point of giving Ash credit for being who he is at the end of the episode (saying how important it was in rescuing Shelldon), and that's neat to see, especially b/c Ash is a little surprised. Gary probably realizes that part of Ash's annoyance with him is that everyone (here, Brock and Dawn) acts like he is the smarter guy of the 2. For sure, Brock and Dawn were not going to say, "Way to go Ash" for what happened in this episode.

saar
9th July 2010, 2:41 PM
I was happy when Garry has returned to this episode. He's a good resercher.
The second J episode was less good than the first, but still, it was cool.

Lance The Champ
30th November 2010, 4:33 PM
Wow Hunter J is so formidable and pretty cool too

G50
27th April 2011, 12:26 PM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Shieldon for the 1st time. It was interesting to see J again and her cruel way of capturing/stealing Pokemon and turning them into Sandlike statues. It was cool to see Gary and Electivire back, helping to save the day. It was cool to see Drapion for the 1st time. Drapion is really strong. It was great to see an Umbreon again, my favorite Eevee evolution.

30/100

pkmnwarrior
14th July 2011, 3:35 PM
I was so happy to see Gary. He may have been arrogant in the begining, but he's a hardworking trainer - something Ash can learn (although he has trained very hard since the Johto League) I love his Umbreon, great episode- glad to see them working together

Lorde
27th November 2014, 5:43 AM
I was glad that Gary at least used his Blastoise, Umbreon and Electivire here. Seeing Professor Rowan again was neat as well; I had forgotten just how involved he was in DP. I was actually pleased to see Ash use his head and command Pikachu to strike Hunter J's arm gadget thing, and I wish we had learned more about J's client. Decent episode overall.