PDA

View Full Version : Do People Care Where Ash Lives?

~Water Lucario~
1st September 2007, 12:28 PM
In Pokemon, Ash always seems to make the longest introduction to new people while others only say a word or two. I don't know if Ash stats what town he is from in the Japanese versions but PUSA always fill in his longer introduction with "My name is Ash from Pallet Town".

What I find weird is why would anyone really care where he is from, especially if he is in another land like Sinnoh where I doubt people would know where Pallet Town is.

I am not complaining, I have no issue with this, I am not having a go at Pokemon and I know it is just an anime but I just find this quite funny and want to hear other peoples opinions on the topic.

ChaosMage
1st September 2007, 12:32 PM
Well, Pallet Town is the hometown of Professor Oak, and I suppose home towns are considered a point of interest in the training world because the league announcers always announce them. Maybe it makes him sound more distinct to strangers in case they've seen his previous battles?

Electivired!
1st September 2007, 3:33 PM
I think he says it because it would look strange just "I'm Ash Ketchum" and then it's still shows that he's talking when he's really not.

Basically, The Pallet town bit is just a filler.

Korobooshi Kojiro
1st September 2007, 4:47 PM
He says he's from Masara Town in the original too...

I don't think he does it ALL the time. He didn't do it in today's Prinplup episode, for example.

ShinyManafi
1st September 2007, 4:50 PM
He might say it so people don't think he a newbie from whatever region he's in.

Honestly, to me it sounds kind of wierd when he doesn't say it. I'm too used to it.

legendarypokemonjunkie17
1st September 2007, 5:58 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of him saying it for 10 straight years, but what needs to be said needs to be said.

penngrade6
1st September 2007, 8:00 PM
Ash always says he's from Pallet Town to Gym Leaders, but I rarely hear him telling that to filler characters. It's usually, "Hi I'm Ash pleased to meet you" etc.

Gold10
1st September 2007, 8:08 PM
I hate it when everyone says their name and he says Im Ash from Pallet Town when you're in Sinnoh or Hoenn.

They probably don't even know where it is!

Dattebayo
2nd September 2007, 6:41 AM
No, but Ash will always remind people that he's from Pallet Town. But it might be useful for people who watch Pokemon for the first time.

Anaya
2nd September 2007, 6:42 AM
No, no one really cares, but it is mentioned anyway.

morefirepokemon
2nd September 2007, 6:44 AM
im sick and tired of theis especially at the conference championships, it wasnt bad when he was in kanto but now most people dont know where pallet is

AnimeDutchess
2nd September 2007, 6:49 AM
I don't mind, really. i don't know WHY he says it, either, but I really don't mind it. it's just the kinda person he is. Maybe it's used to show that trainers could come from pretty much anywhere, even though we already knew that?

Oh, and I'd assume that some trainers out there would know where Pallet Town is. I'm sure all the Gym Leaders know about the different towns.

charizardpal
2nd September 2007, 8:17 AM
Hey lets start a thread everybody, where we apply Ash's pattern to our own lives. I'll go first:

"Hi I'm Charizardpal, from California! And I wanna become a Japanese linguist master!"

Leona
2nd September 2007, 11:54 AM
Obviously, he needs to introduce himself properly ;\

Xx-Endless_Summer-xX
7th September 2007, 9:37 AM
well in the japanese you introduce yourself as something along the lines of:
Watashi wa Satoshi desu.
and that takes longer to say than "I'm Ash Ketchum."
so they had to stretch it. :p

RYKUU
7th September 2007, 10:52 AM
i reckon hi im from pallet town is a bit much.

Seijiro Mafuné
7th September 2007, 8:23 PM
well in the japanese you introduce yourself as something along the lines of:
Watashi wa Satoshi desu.
and that takes longer to say than "I'm Ash Ketchum."
so they had to stretch it. :pOnly Ash uses mainly either 'Boku' or 'Ore' (forgot which), so that isn't an excuse. (Dawn says 'Atashi'.)

bigpop618
13th September 2007, 5:13 AM
I think everybody will know where Pallet town is...reason being Professor is a world renowned Scientist from Pallet town...He has radio shows and everything so its hard to not now who Oak is and everything...and as for ash...maybe its his weird way of saying hey Im not from around here..can you help me? Like from what I remember..a lot of people give him directions to cities which one woulod assume that they know hes not from around there

Alkaide
13th September 2007, 5:47 AM
Yeah, it does get annoying
sometimes. It wastes time,
but I guess it is something
he feels he should do, since
Pallet Town is where Prof.
Oak resides. However, no-
body else bothers to say
"I'm Todd Aberdeen from
Mahogany Town", or "I'm
Jeffrey Konoikii from New
Bark Town." But I think that
Prof. Oak is the most famous.

thunderblade12
13th September 2007, 6:06 AM
pokemon battles are considered sort of a sporting event in the anime. even in real world sporting events they tell where the players are from. ex. "here michael jordan from north carolina"

uber gon
13th September 2007, 7:24 AM
pokemon battles are considered sort of a sporting event in the anime. even in real world sporting events they tell where the players are from. ex. "here michael jordan from north carolina"

Shame that doesn't also happen with other trainers, except for the leagues of course.

Virtual Chatot
13th September 2007, 8:37 AM
If I remember right, its also customary in Japan to also say where you are from...

It was in a Culture Class I took a year back...

Not sure though, pretty sure I'm right :/

~Water Lucario~
13th September 2007, 9:46 AM
Shame that doesn't also happen with other trainers, except for the leagues of course.

True, Ash is the only one who really does that though, it would be cool to learn where other people he meets are also from.