PDA

View Full Version : Animé attack portrayal =/= video game attack portrayal

uber gon
3rd September 2007, 7:31 AM
Anyone here think it's sad that most of the attacks in the animé would look better if they looked like how they are portrayed in the animé?

~-Overheat-~
3rd September 2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah attacks like water gun would be cool....

Gold10
4th September 2007, 3:40 PM
But Anime and Game don't mix and plus Diamond and Pearl already made some attacks look cooler like Hyper Beam.

uber gon
4th September 2007, 8:38 PM
But Anime and Game don't mix and plus Diamond and Pearl already made some attacks look cooler like Hyper Beam.

They did? I never noticed.

Anyway, I'm talking about how most attacks don't look different than others. I mean WING ATTACK has the same animation as STEEL WING.

GrizzlyB
5th September 2007, 3:19 AM
Well, showing just one Pokemon's wings glow white and having the Pokemon slam them dramatically into their foe isn't exactly practical in a video game revolving around its simplicity.

uber gon
5th September 2007, 4:08 AM
Well, showing just one Pokemon's wings glow white and having the Pokemon slam them dramatically into their foe isn't exactly practical in a video game revolving around its simplicity.

Well how about SOLARBEAM? The writers could've made THAT attack a whole lot more dramatic.

Kazuki Mirai
5th September 2007, 4:10 AM
Well how about SOLARBEAM? The writers could've made THAT attack a whole lot more dramatic.

Somehow they recently had Pokemon use it without charging time for some reason. *CoughsMunchlaxcoughs*

uber gon
5th September 2007, 4:36 AM
Somehow they recently had Pokemon use it without charging time for some reason. *CoughsMunchlaxcoughs*

That's not a big change.

I mean they could added some sparkles to the attack to make it more flashy at least.

TheTurquoiseTauros!
5th September 2007, 4:56 AM
I hate how they tone the attacks way down on the games. Give me an anime giga impact!

Kazuki Mirai
5th September 2007, 7:16 AM
I hate how they tone the attacks way down on the games. Give me an anime giga impact!

If you seen the DP episode where an Aerodactyl was revived, sorry to bring your hopes up, the attack just doesn't look ultra powerful like Hyper Beam.

Dragonbreath received quite a graphic changes, I always refer to it as a "Green Puke Attack" in its earlier days but now it's made much cooler, a gust of wind breathed by dragon. But this description is similar to another dragon attack, Dragon Pulse. I wonder how will they handle this. =/

ShinyManafi
5th September 2007, 8:52 AM
I can't wait to see them portray Close Combat unless they already have. I wonder what that'll be like..

uber gon
5th September 2007, 7:43 PM
If you seen the DP episode where an Aerodactyl was revived, sorry to bring your hopes up, the attack just doesn't look ultra powerful like Hyper Beam.

Dragonbreath received quite a graphic changes, I always refer to it as a "Green Puke Attack" in its earlier days but now it's made much cooler, a gust of wind breathed by dragon. But this description is similar to another dragon attack, Dragon Pulse. I wonder how will they handle this. =/

Uh, since when has HYPER BEAM been portrayed as ultra powerful? If you mean if first season yeah I agree with you there, but in current seasons it isn't that great.

Kazuki Mirai
6th September 2007, 5:42 PM
Whirlpool is a big meh, I was never impressed with it from the beginning. And how it's utilized by Piplup makes it very cheesy.

Fire Spin... I don't get why people treats it as if it was a powerful version of Flamethrower in the anime.

octoboy
6th September 2007, 5:49 PM

What bugs me is munchlax got away with using it at night, while venusaur can't pull it off on a cloudy day.

Fire Spin... I don't get why people treats it as if it was a powerful version of Flamethrower in the anime.

TCG charizard ring a bell?

I agree on both sides. Some were made more dramatic in the games, while others have the good side in the anime.

Kazuki Mirai
6th September 2007, 6:03 PM
Then we have May's Squirtle suddenly learning Ice Beam out of nowhere while Snorunt worked so hard to master it.

Now... Ash's Squirtle's Hydro Pump. Usually it would be a powerful stream of water shot from the Pokemon, I guess it was too powerful for the little guy that it conceals itself in its shell to utilize it.

Dragon Rage constantly varies.... With Gyarados and the Dragonite family case, it almost looked like a variation of Twister. With Charizard, it was a powerful fireball. Strangely, in the games, it's not that reliable later on as it only deals 40 damage.

uber gon
6th September 2007, 6:35 PM
Then we have May's Squirtle suddenly learning Ice Beam out of nowhere while Snorunt worked so hard to master it.

Now... Ash's Squirtle's Hydro Pump. Usually it would be a powerful stream of water shot from the Pokemon, I guess it was too powerful for the little guy that it conceals itself in its shell to utilize it.

Dragon Rage constantly varies.... With Gyarados and the Dragonite family case, it almost looked like a variation of Twister. With Charizard, it was a powerful fireball. Strangely, in the games, it's not that reliable later on as it only deals 40 damage.

Frankly I'm surprised that the writers would make WATER GUN the same animation as HYDRO PUMP. I mean, couldn't there be something to distinguish these two attacks?

octoboy
7th September 2007, 5:13 PM

Four anime writers sat in their lab. They all cackled as they finished their own horrible creation. A character with the ultimate beauty and cuteness sure to cause anyone who looks it in the eye to love it within a week.

Then their own creation turned against them...

What I'm saying is that they like May and are unfairly nice to her. May I bring up munchlax again?

But realistically, pokemon don't screw up attacks a lot. And don't stop screwing them up the higher level they get (unless you read "screw up" as "do little damage with").

uber gon
7th September 2007, 7:45 PM
You know what would've been nice? The writers should've made Bullet Seed fire seeds that actually look like seeds instead of that yellow ****. Also, for a cool effect, the writers could've added a realistic smoke trail to make the seeds more bullet-like.

Venusaur Master
7th September 2007, 9:41 PM
water pulse has a dynamic change from the games to anime.
anime: a ball of water which erupts into a tital wave
games: a super sonic of water rings

uber gon
7th September 2007, 9:44 PM
water pulse has a dynamic change from the games to anime.
anime: a ball of water which erupts into a tital wave
games: a super sonic of water rings

Would this be considered a good thing or a bad thing? Frankly, the video game portrayal seems right.

Venusaur Master
7th September 2007, 9:46 PM
I like both but the game 1 seems a better description

uber gon
7th September 2007, 9:48 PM
I like both but the game 1 seems a better description

Frankly, I think the writers should've used the game portrayal for their animé portrayal.

octoboy
7th September 2007, 9:58 PM
You know what would've been nice? The writers should've made Bullet Seed fire seeds that actually look like seeds instead of that yellow ****. Also, for a cool effect, the writers could've added a realistic smoke trail to make the seeds more bullet-like.
Yes, I would have liked that too. Frankly, the anime is way too into making stuff glow. I mean why does mega punch glow? Why not just punch? And why does iron tail glow instead of actually making the tail look metallic which could be totally done? I can see why pin missile is, as it would look awkward for a pokemon to fire pins rapidly and regenerate them so quickly, but mega punch?

uber gon
7th September 2007, 10:01 PM
Yes, I would have liked that too. Frankly, the anime is way too into making stuff glow. I mean why does mega punch glow? Why not just punch? And why does iron tail glow instead of actually making the tail look metallic which could be totally done? I can see why pin missile is, as it would look awkward for a pokemon to fire pins rapidly and regenerate them so quickly, but mega punch?

Meh, I guess the writers think the **** they show now is advanced.

Venusaur Master
8th September 2007, 1:48 PM
has anyone else thought that crabhammer is oddly portrayed in the whirl islands when kingler fires a orb of light as crabhammer?

octoboy
8th September 2007, 9:24 PM
Yeah, there were some attacks which make me think the anime is afraid of animating moves which attack directly. Poison sting is one move which got me thinking that. Instead of actually stinging, spinarak fired red lines at the opponent. At least sometimes it's portrayed as launching a poison needle, but what's wrong with stinging?

It's as if they're paranoid that any direct attacks will make kids want to hit each other directly as well. Maybe that's what's with all the glowing. Maybe making the fist glow somehow makes it less violent/makes it less easy to imitate (try making your hands glow).

That also explains why moves like fury swipes were left alone. Viewers could easily mimic a punch, but they wouldn't expect them to start scratching (sooo wrong. There was a little girl I once knew who could draw blood. Beast).

Crabhammer sometimes does hammer. Like when corphish used it.

uber gon
9th September 2007, 7:08 AM
Yeah, there were some attacks which make me think the anime is afraid of animating moves which attack directly. Poison sting is one move which got me thinking that. Instead of actually stinging, spinarak fired red lines at the opponent. At least sometimes it's portrayed as launching a poison needle, but what's wrong with stinging?

It's as if they're paranoid that any direct attacks will make kids want to hit each other directly as well. Maybe that's what's with all the glowing. Maybe making the fist glow somehow makes it less violent/makes it less easy to imitate (try making your hands glow).

That also explains why moves like fury swipes were left alone. Viewers could easily mimic a punch, but they wouldn't expect them to start scratching (sooo wrong. There was a little girl I once knew who could draw blood. Beast).

Crabhammer sometimes does hammer. Like when corphish used it.

Meh, I guess all the banned episodes caused some of the less likable attack animations.

However, does anyone think the writers think Frenzy Plant could've been animated better? Instead of those weird vines, the writers could've used CGI tree roots instead.

octoboy
10th September 2007, 4:28 PM
None of the episodes were banned becuase of hitting. One was banned because it caused seizures, one was banned because a guy kept shooting people, one was banned because of Carol Weatherford, one was banned because it had earthquakes, which I guess reminded people too much of some earthquake catastrophe (what, would they get traumatized or something? The place where it happened, the TVs would get all wrecked) and one was banned because of a body suit.

Nothing the pokemon did caused the problem. Jynx didn't actually do anything, it was her presence which got the episode out, and one could say whiscash was its own undoing, but other pokemon have gotten away with earthquake before, so that didn't cause any changes in other episodes.

uber gon
10th September 2007, 11:09 PM
None of the episodes were banned becuase of hitting. One was banned because it caused seizures, one was banned because a guy kept shooting people, one was banned because of Carol Weatherford, one was banned because it had earthquakes, which I guess reminded people too much of some earthquake catastrophe (what, would they get traumatized or something? The place where it happened, the TVs would get all wrecked) and one was banned because of a body suit.

Nothing the pokemon did caused the problem. Jynx didn't actually do anything, it was her presence which got the episode out, and one could say whiscash was its own undoing, but other pokemon have gotten away with earthquake before, so that didn't cause any changes in other episodes.

I think in the earthquake episode, the Whiscash were using the Earthquake attack.

octoboy
11th September 2007, 4:54 AM
Yes, but as I said in my previous post, other pokemon can use earthquake. Remember slaking?

uber gon
11th September 2007, 4:57 AM
Yes, but as I said in my previous post, other pokemon can use earthquake. Remember slaking?

Yeah, but was there an earthquake prior to the airing of that episode?

octoboy
11th September 2007, 4:09 PM
are you asking me if earthquake was ever used after that? I really don't know, but if an earthquake before the episode can't hurt, then neither can an earthquake after it.

uber gon
11th September 2007, 11:57 PM
are you asking me if earthquake was ever used after that? I really don't know, but if an earthquake before the episode can't hurt, then neither can an earthquake after it.

As long as there are some CGI effects added to Earthquake. If anyone has played KH2 Final Mix+ the boss Lexaeus has an earthquake attack that raises earth columns out of the ground. That'd be so cool in the animé.

octoboy
12th September 2007, 2:43 AM
Overheat could have looked cooler. Instead of having just a big blast of flame, why not make the pokemon look as if it's actually overheating?

uber gon
13th September 2007, 6:13 AM
Overheat could have looked cooler. Instead of having just a big blast of flame, why not make the pokemon look as if it's actually overheating?

Yeah, but maybe the writers thought that'd be too extreme for children...

octoboy
13th September 2007, 3:50 PM
I doubt that was the problem there. I bet they were just feeling cheap that time.

And don't think that the anime is completely paranoid about corrupting kids. Remember the breast scene in beauty and the beach? No, it's 4kids who are overly cencoring.

uber gon
13th September 2007, 8:34 PM
I doubt that was the problem there. I bet they were just feeling cheap that time.

And don't think that the anime is completely paranoid about corrupting kids. Remember the breast scene in beauty and the beach? No, it's 4kids who are overly cencoring.

Oh yeah, you're right.

Frankly, I just hope WOOD HAMMER won't be portrayed in a repetitive manner.

octoboy
14th September 2007, 4:39 PM
I wish it would look like a hammer. Though according to my cousin it's a charge, so it'd probably just look like a charge glowing green.

uber gon
15th September 2007, 1:03 AM
I wish it would look like a hammer. Though according to my cousin it's a charge, so it'd probably just look like a charge glowing green.

I always thought it'd be a body slam with the user covered in something similar to Kidomaru's sticky gold.

octoboy
15th September 2007, 5:16 PM
Why would a grass type attack cover the user in sticky gold?

uber gon
16th September 2007, 7:29 AM
Why would a grass type attack cover the user in sticky gold?

Well if you change the color of the sticky gold into a more brown-ish color, it looks like wood, hence WOOD HAMMER.

octoboy
17th September 2007, 2:05 AM
I guess. Though it would be even cooler to have a wood like texture appear on the pokemon. Though iron tail just has the tail glowing white, so I doubt if that would work (though the attack graphics have apparently improved).

uber gon
17th September 2007, 7:24 PM
I guess. Though it would be even cooler to have a wood like texture appear on the pokemon. Though iron tail just has the tail glowing white, so I doubt if that would work (though the attack graphics have apparently improved).

I thought the sticky gold WAS a wood like texture.

Frankly, IRON TAIL (and all other steel attacks) should've had animation similar to the Pokémon Stadium games.