PDA

View Full Version : What if the 5th Gen Girl was...

Kenpachi
5th September 2007, 4:52 AM
I had this thought that bugged me and I wanted other people’s opinions.
What if the Pokémon people (Which they never would cause their Japanese.) made a 5th gen, what if the 5th gen girl was a respectful black character. (One without huge pink lips.)
Would you like Pokémon any less if they had a black person as a major character?
Of course they would have to have a mirror white version of her exclusively for the games, so the little Asian girls could play it.
I would love to have a good black character but I think it would be bad for their business and sales.
It was a nice thought though, if Pokémon did it than lots of other anime might stop only Asian characters.

TheTurquoiseTauros!
5th September 2007, 4:54 AM
I think it would be strange, considering that it has never happened, but I wouldnt like or dislike pokemon any more/less. I would feel sorry for Jynx though, she'll probaby have a one on one talk with the new girl. She would hate being the old black girl on there IMO.

Gold10
5th September 2007, 12:56 PM
It won't happen, it's just that the makers of Pokemon want their characters in game and anime to stay mostly Japanese and in most our minds (white). We havae a bigger chance having Obama as president than a non-sterotype black character even though the writers will just sterotype her like going with lots of men or liking hip-hop music and that isn't going to go well

Serebii
5th September 2007, 1:01 PM
I think it'd just be pointless panderring by the games and anime. Once companies start being forced to pander, then I do lose respect for them. Its a Japanese game & anime, they shouldn't have to submit to the pathetic racial feuds that go on in the Americas all because there isnt enough characters in major tv shows of certain ethnicity. It really is pathetic

Mamoswine.
5th September 2007, 1:31 PM
Good point, Serebii its japanese and its there game. Also what about the Jynx Saga......There not gonna risk it. Though i dont mind it if there was a black character i play the game mainly to finish the 8 gyms, elite 4 and the PokeDex

ChaosMage
5th September 2007, 7:40 PM
Maybe in future generations you can have more say abou tthe design of your character. But the Pokemon world is clearly caucasian through and through as a design standard. Changing now would just be weird. And to be honest, tokenism never does any character any good- except maybe they'll have a good singing voice.

Kamex
5th September 2007, 7:48 PM
If they were to create a black character just out of fresh creativity I would welcome it, but if it was simply to continue the trend of trying to make everything in the world more racially diverse than it's just sort of pointless for Pokemon, I think.

octoboy
6th September 2007, 4:11 PM
I would like that, but I doubt it will happen. I'm wondering if the jynx controversy sort of steered them off that road somewhat. But the jynx lawsuit didn't get to them, it only got to america, if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, well I guess black is even more of a minority in Japan.

I really resent the fact people say everyone's supposed to be Japanese. Ok, May is definitely not Japanese. Look at that skin, look. What ethnically Japanese person has skin that pink? Plus, you may say she has dyed hair and blue contact lenses, but when she wakes up from sleep, does she put in contacts? No. So I highly doubt that isn't her natural eye colour.

Gravy
6th September 2007, 4:26 PM
I'm still struggling to understand why so many people actually care about this sort of thing when the point of the franchise is to assemble a team 6 monsters from a vastly varied collection of over 400. Does it really matter what one or two human characters look like?

Sammi
6th September 2007, 4:34 PM
I really resent the fact people say everyone's supposed to be Japanese. Ok, May is definitely not Japanese. Look at that skin, look. What ethnically Japanese person has skin that pink? Plus, you may say she has dyed hair and blue contact lenses, but when she wakes up from sleep, does she put in contacts? No. So I highly doubt that isn't her natural eye colour.
True that. Most of the Pokemon characters don't look Japanese at all. Look at Misty, and even Dawn, who has blueish eyes. Then you look at everyone else and... Yeah.

Back on topic, a black person... Uhm, I think that may cause a bad uproar, due to what happened with Jynx. I'd enjoy it, but I'm not sure about those other freaky people...

Blackjack Gabbiani
7th September 2007, 1:18 AM
I don't think it would affect the show in the US or anywhere outside Japan.

IN Japan, though, that would be a different story. I mean, Revolutionary Girl Utena came under fire there because it had a dark-skinned main character. Nothing about her personality or any plot twists, just because of how she looked.

And Dogasu, are you saying that any series that has anything but a homogynously raced cast is "pandering"? What happened to "variety"?

martianman40
7th September 2007, 1:31 AM
Nah, those racist little ******* will never put in a dark girl. learn to accept it.

Kenpachi
7th September 2007, 5:00 AM
I'm still struggling to understand why so many people actually care about this sort of thing when the point of the franchise is to assemble a team 6 monsters from a vastly varied collection of over 400. Does it really matter what one or two human characters look like?
Because when you play a game as any humans (That isn’t decided like an RPG) and you see only white people as options than it kinda hurts. It sends a message that “we didn’t think black people would wanna play, and frankly we really don’t give a damn. “
If they won’t put one in the anime, than Japan must acknowledge the popularity of their show and add extra character options to the games.
“Our franchise was made by Japanese, for Japanese.” That is not a kind message to send to people.

Kabuto
7th September 2007, 5:10 AM
Serebii is right. Its a japanese show, the only reason, we even see people with different hair colors, is cause it would be boring if everyone looked similar.

Besides, white chicks are hotter IMO.

May that last comment be stricken from the record?

Alfonso
7th September 2007, 5:24 AM
To be honest, I don't want a black character to be used as a playable character in a Pokemon game. Not because I have anything against black people of course.

I'd just rather see the male playable character in the next gen to be a stereotypical, sleepy mexican- who instead of recieving his Pokemon from the Tree based Professor in the game, steals it from his lab. (The Pokemon of choice would be Jynx, Nosepass and Lotad, all obviously racist stereotypes.) Instead of a cap, beret or bizzare hair/hat combo that Brendan has, he would have a Sombrero. Instead of the usual natty 'cool' outfit, he would wear a Poncho.

How actually awesome would that be.

Kick *** awesome, that's what. Hell, in the Pokemon Contests, you could even dress your Pokemon likewise- imagine dressing up your Meowth in a poncho and Stalin-esque moustache.

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th September 2007, 12:15 PM
I think the cast should have a black character, mexican, overweight character, and of course a handicapped character.

Like the Burger King Kid's Gang. THAT, is pandering to appease everyone but being overtly idotic about it. Like the textbooks that put a damn handicap kid on every page.

Alfonso
7th September 2007, 4:35 PM
I think the cast should have a black character, mexican, overweight character, and of course a handicapped character.

Like the Burger King Kid's Gang. THAT, is pandering to appease everyone but being overtly idotic about it. Like the textbooks that put a damn handicap kid on every page.

Haha, I remember those kids. Not sure which one I hated more, Ronald McDonald or the Burger Kids- maybe the Burger Kids, simply for being extremely stereotypical and token.

Woah, hold on! Just looked for a picture, I don't remember a lot of these kids. Where the hell did the ginger tomboy, the wheelchair kid, and the indian come from? O_O What a load of rubbish, adding them to pander to people. It's like if a kid goes to Burger King, sees this group of mascots without a wheelchair bound boy, and that'll make him go out and hate on people with disabilities. :|

Hamburgler needs to lay down some smackdown on that crap.

Gravy
7th September 2007, 5:02 PM
I honestly can't remember any of the Burger King kids except the chump blonde with the oversized visor and generic baseball cap.

Because when you play a game as any humans (That isn’t decided like an RPG) and you see only white people as options than it kinda hurts. It sends a message that “we didn’t think black people would wanna play, and frankly we really don’t give a damn. “
I don't really see why they should give a damn about something that is, for all intents and purposes, largely irrelevent in a monster collecting game. I can't play as a red-headed guy with a couple of freckles, but I honestly couldn't care less about the personallity devoid vehicle I have to play as. If I were forced to play through the game as a black, japanese or inuit guy, I wouldn't care either. As long as I can train up some of my favourite funky critters it's all good, and I'm sure the children who love the games think the same way.

Maybe it would be nice if they could diversify a little. Variety is the spice of life, afterall. But at the end of the day, it's hardly something that one should get flustered over, or even be offended by.

octoboy
7th September 2007, 5:08 PM

Because apparently, nobody cares about the pokemon. Really, the name should be changed to Pokemon Trainers, because that's all viewers seem to care about.

Back on topic, a black person... Uhm, I think that may cause a bad uproar, due to what happened with Jynx. I'd enjoy it, but I'm not sure about those other freaky people...
As I said before, I don't think any of that got to Japan. That was only the English people. Unless they got it all forewarded to them or something.

According to Gabbiani, a show went down for having a dark character, so maybe they're afraid of that, but hey, it never stopped Schulz.

To be honest, I don't want a black character to be used as a playable character in a Pokemon game. Not because I have anything against black people of course.

I'd just rather see the male playable character in the next gen to be a stereotypical, sleepy mexican- who instead of recieving his Pokemon from the Tree based Professor in the game, steals it from his lab. (The Pokemon of choice would be Jynx, Nosepass and Lotad, all obviously racist stereotypes.) Instead of a cap, beret or bizzare hair/hat combo that Brendan has, he would have a Sombrero. Instead of the usual natty 'cool' outfit, he would wear a Poncho.

How actually awesome would that be.

Kick *** awesome, that's what. Hell, in the Pokemon Contests, you could even dress your Pokemon likewise- imagine dressing up your Meowth in a poncho and Stalin-esque moustache.

That'd be cool, but save the stealing for the rocket grunt in training. People would think that's offensive. Plus, poor ludicolo, that would be snatching his gig!

Or better, roll two into one and add Stevie to the show! Then bring back Ash's snorlax and Brock's ludicolo for all the overweight or mexican needs.

It's perfect! XD

bobjr
7th September 2007, 5:11 PM
Why don't they make the next champion a really fat person like Jabba the Hut. After you beat the elite 4 you walk in and just stare at this monstrosity.

Rex Kamex
7th September 2007, 9:36 PM
I wouldn't mind if for the next set of games there could be a white and black version of the boy and girl. Not that it would make or break the 5th generation games for me. It'd be one of the extra things I would want to have in the series.

Regardless, I do wish there were at least some non-controversial black people in the Pokemon games/anime. It's not like they'd have to look Jynx-like or Mr. Popo-like. Now, whether or not I think all this will happen is a totally different story.

Kenpachi
7th September 2007, 9:47 PM
It's not like they'd have to look Jynx-like or Mr. Popo-like. Now, whether or not I think all this will happen is a totally different story.
People who draw blacks like that are just ignorant, raciest, or have never met one. Black people don’t look like that, just like Japanese people don’t have big beautiful eyes and colorful hair.