PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Pokemon USA dub

Paladin Elric
15th September 2007, 6:36 AM
I haven't watched the Pokemon dub in a while and I quit watching the series before Pokemon USA got ahold of it.
I've got some questions about the dub that I was wondering about.

1. What was the last episode that 4Kids dubbed and the first episode dubbed by Pokemon USA?
2. How much different is the Pokemon USA dub writing compared to the 4Kids writing?
3. How was the dub of the 9th Pokemon movie?
4. On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being the highest), how would you rate the Pokemon USA dub voices of:
a. Ash
b. May
c. Max
d. Brock
e. Jessie
f. James
g. Misty
h. Dawn
i. Paul
5. For those who dislike the current dub, what episodes would you consider to have some of the worst dub writing?

Anonymous Trainer
15th September 2007, 6:47 AM
The last episode dubbed by 4kids was Pasta la Vista. I forgot the title of the episode PUSA first dubbed but it had to do with the Ghost Pokemon. Basically I gotten over the current dub since I don't watch it as much anymore , but if there was a vote off of who has the worst voice, it's Ash. From the episodes I've seen, they're pretty straightforward. They need to stop trying to rap in their intros though. -_-;

CyberCubed
15th September 2007, 4:17 PM
The worst voice was Max. It doesn't matter now since Max is gone but jesus, they made him sound like a real nerd. His 4kids voice actually made him sound likeable.

Generally, people agree that Brock, Jessie and May got the best new voices that sound similar to their old ones. Dawn and Paul, with no prior voices, sound very good as well.

Geodude
15th September 2007, 4:21 PM
James' old voice was better in silly scenes than serious ones, it's vice-versa with his new voice.

Dax
15th September 2007, 4:30 PM
Max was horrible and Ash at first was pitiful. They improved and I'm not bothered now with their voices at all. I actually love the voices they gave to Dawn and Paul.

OverlordPhoros
15th September 2007, 5:51 PM
Who ever voiced Max should have been fired. Seriously. They made him sound so boring especially when he'd comment on the type match ups. And I agree with Anonymous Trainer. They really need to cut that rapping stuff out. The intros are so awful in comparison to the older ones.

But the best voice has to be Jessie's.

CyberCubed
15th September 2007, 5:59 PM
Ash started off really bad but toward the mid/late Battle Frontier eps he started to get much better, and I'm mostly fine with the voice now in D/P.

Pkmn_Collector
15th September 2007, 6:37 PM
well i do give credit to someone for helping us get better voice actors than b4 in the special.those voices sounded so horrible.so glad they changed them.at least the guy who voices brock improved but now getting use to the new VA's and to me the only character that sounds to closest is jessie

CharizardMaster
15th September 2007, 6:51 PM
To sum it up, PUSA is doing a much better job then 4kids IMO.

Power of Fire
16th September 2007, 1:51 AM
i think he said the last episode 4kids dubbed and the first episode PUSA dubbed

pasta la vist (last 4kids)
fear factor phony (start of PUSA dub)

and to be honest the new voices sounds better

old guard truthseeker
16th September 2007, 3:36 AM
i think he said the last episode 4kids dubbed and the first episode PUSA dubbed

and to be honest the new voices sounds better

Agreed! Isn't it great that things are moving in a positive way?

Cobalt_Latios
16th September 2007, 3:40 AM
I guess I'll answer these questions in order, seeing as I prefer it that way:

1. Last episode by 4Kids: "Pasta La Vista"/First episode by PUSA: "Fear Factor Phony"
2. Well, from what I've from some friends of mine, it seems that they do slightly more direct translations and also, they tend to be more passive about things. In fact, Team Rocket has had a major dialogue change, in that they use more and bigger words than before, epescially James and Meowth.
3. Seeing as how they have improved, I'll do a before and after for better comparison(not 4Kids to PUSA, but BF to D/P. And for those that are gone prior to D/P i'll put b(beginning) then e(end)).
a. Ash: BF=5, D/P= 8(improved and gotten used to hearing it)
b. May: BFb=8, BFe=9
c. Max: BFb=6, BFe-6.5(felt like it didn't change)
d. Brock: BFb=8.5, BFe=9(pretty good the whole way through)
e. Jessie: BF=8, D/P=9(simply just got used to hearing it)
f. James: BF=8.5, D/P=9(rather hard to believe that it's actually Jimmy Zoppi, though he's credit under another name I believe)
g. Misty: MasterMind=7(if you've seen the improved one that came with Pokemon 8 it does sound better)
h. Dawn: D/P=8.5(not bad actually, voice fits the character pretty well)
i. Paul: D/P=8.5(definitely fits the character. Was a little concerned, but it really does suit him)
5. I don't mind this dubbing(seeing as how I don't really understand a damn word in Japanese and I haven't seen 1 episode withs Subs I can really post a worthwhile comment. But I'll give the impressions of a friend of mine), however from what i've heard, they seem to be doing better. Since I'm watching this for entertainement purposes only, I'll let the real critics decide for themselves and let you know.

If you'd like, you can PM me for a few episodes in either D/P or BF and I'd be happy to send some your way, for comparison sake.

~C_L~

Kariba
16th September 2007, 6:47 AM
The writing's rather weak, I'm finding. Humor's not there. The characters aren't themselves to me anymore (I stopped watching a while ago). As for voices, Ash's voice is not good at all, nor is TR's. It sounds disjointed and weird. The characters don't have their own personalities anymore, it's just one writer's voice. My friends and I all agree that the show sounds like a fandub.

Dogasu
16th September 2007, 6:54 AM
The new dub is pretty much on the same level as the old dub.

How you interpret that statement is completely up to you.

The Power of Pika
16th September 2007, 6:58 AM
I enjoy the PUSA episodes as much as the 4kids episodes.
I've gotten so use to the voices that I enjoy it just as much.

That's the main thing for me. If I enjoy it then that's all that counts. I seem to be laughing like I did in first season. So dialogue must be okay with me.

My friend seemed okay with it. My brother seems to watch the tapes over and over that I taped off TV.

So all is good on my end.:)

Pokeyug91
16th September 2007, 7:04 AM
a. Ash-1
b. May-3
c. Max-2
d. Brock-4
e. Jessie-5
f. James-3
g. Misty-6
h. Dawn-10
i. Paul-10
Meowth-3
The PUSA dub is terrible when compared to the 4kids dub. The voice acting is horribe. Most of the cast can't even act. The new voice of Ash had no professional experience in any type of acting before voicing Ash. She makes Ash sound like a stupid idiot. The writing is bad as well.

Kazuki Mirai
16th September 2007, 7:11 AM
Rap is crap... They need to know that...

Max sounds like a nerd. Don't mind at all.

James sounds like he has a runny nose. It's okay to me.

Meowth's voice range is somewhere between Nathan Price's and Maudie Blaustein. Alright, good enough.

May's and Jessie's is a bit high. Michelle Knotz still reached both of their characters' personality.

Ash's voice.... struggling. I swear, whenever I hear him, he sounds like a retard.

Brock is mature as Eric Stuart's.... And he has reached out to Brock's character.

I guess, I can say it's alright so far.

Dogasu
16th September 2007, 7:12 AM
The new voice of Ash had no professional experience in any type of acting before voicing Ash.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=95477237&blogID=154568634

You were saying?

Kariba
16th September 2007, 8:34 AM
The voice acting is horribe. Most of the cast can't even act.

I agree with that. A lot of line deliveries (esp. Jessie's, Ash's and James's) have been so bad that I've shut off episodes before the first commercial break. The writing doesn't help matters.

Power of Fire
16th September 2007, 8:43 AM
well i disgress with pokeyug91, i'll rate the voices (IMO)

ash=10
misty=4
max=9
may=9
brock=10
paul=10
dawn=9.5

Kazuki Mirai
16th September 2007, 10:53 AM
I sometimes wonder on Ash's lines...

*After Bulbasaur endured Shadow Punch*

"Bulbasaur, you're okay!"

*After Aipom dodges*

"Alright!"

O_O ..... It just sounded as if they were randomly thrown in.... Any reasons why?

Power of Fire
16th September 2007, 10:54 AM
be serious for once

Korobooshi Kojiro
16th September 2007, 2:56 PM
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=154568634

You were saying?

Don't bother...people seem to think PUSA pulled these dudes off the street and are paying them beans.

Ironically, both the final 4kids episode of One Piece and Pokemon ended with Eric Stuart playing an old man with his horribly cheesy old man voice. Take that as you will.

Kariba
16th September 2007, 5:10 PM
Don't bother...people seem to think PUSA pulled these dudes off the street and are paying them beans.

What do they pay them?

Ironically, both the final 4kids episode of One Piece and Pokemon ended with Eric Stuart playing an old man with his horribly cheesy old man voice. Take that as you will.

Interesting. But I doubt it was intentional, Kojiro.

HoennMaster
17th September 2007, 4:54 AM
PUSA is way better at dubbing, no pointless edits. The Voice Acting is fine, and what most idiots don't get is that all the Voice actors do have experience.

Shift
17th September 2007, 5:52 AM
1. Already been answered
2. One thing I like is they've kicked the habit of squeezing jokes in when they're mouths aren't seen, something 4Kids seemed to develop in the last couple of seasons. And I don't care what some may say, I like the newest motto quite well, and appreciate its closer ties with the one Japan than the second one had.
3. Oh, the 9th dub was quite good; it gave me the same fond feelings I had back during the first half of the movies. I kinda lost that feeling during the next half, probably since that's when 4Kids had started their decline and things were getting a little less impressive. Also, unlike some people, I really didn't like movie 8's dub; Brock and James were unbearable at that point, as were many of their Pokemon voice choices, including Lucario: way too gruff and scratchy for him. Give him Marc Daraison's Zol/ro voice, and I'd have been pleased enough. Anyway, yeah, 9 was good, had good different VAs for the side characters, all that stuff.
a. Ash: 8
Comparison to 4Kids: =
Natochenny started off quite emotionless, of course, so she began with a 5. Now, though, I like quite a lot, and in some cases better than the way Ash ended off, since she brings a sorta fresher spirit than Taylor was able to muster during the last number of years. Season 1-3 Ash was best, however, and Natochenny's still not perfect, though; she can't screen-laugh to save her life...
b. May: 9
Comparison to 4Kids: +
Oh yeah, when Knotz got used to May, she really took off, and I'm glad May's squeeky gasp disappeared with Taylor.
c. Max: 9
Kayzie Rogers' Max is different than Birnbaums, not better or worse, really. Birnbaum was able to give him a youthful voice that Rogers couldn't quite match, but Rogers made him a little more sensitive, and she could really play the scenes where he was being gentle, like with Deoxys, better than Birnbaum in my book. They both could get him sounding exited in a believable way. (Side note: for that person wanting her fired, since Max left, Kayzie Rogers doesn't work on the show, and Wobbuffet and Mime Jr., her two Pokemon roles, are now filled in by archives/Knotz, respectively.)
d. Brock: 10
All I can do is thank Bill Rogers for saving Brock. The guy has not sounded so alive, so believable, since he stayed behind in the Orange Islands. After Johto, he became a completely different guy, one I couldn't ap[preciate for being too much like Kaiba. Again, I'm completely grateful that Mr. Rogers won this role.
e. Jessie: 8
Comparison to 4Kids: -
Now, Knotz sounds okay on her own, and certainly sounds a lot like how Lillis performed the role. However, she shrieks way to much now, and it's ear-grating and sorta unnatural when I hear it. Lillis at least kept her human-sounding all the way through. Still, it's nowhere near actually bad.
f. James: 9
Another guy I gotta give props to; hearing Zoppi (Billy Beach) in the role in Mastermind, I had my doubts. However, after Sweet Baby James, I was convinced he saved James from, once again, Stuart's development of him. Starting mid-later-Johto, things started falling apart for him, and in Hoenn, he had lost all sense of acting emotion, squeeked his voice upwards every sentence, and couldn't act as a believable human being in any respect. With Zoppi, we may have lost the trademark laugh, but in my opinion, gained so much more.
g. Meowth: 7
Comparison to 4Kids: -
Zoppi's Meowth, meanwhile, I can't give the same praise to. Blaustine just had a better tone, overall, and I still like Nathan Price's Meowth after all these years. Plus, I've heard Zoppi drop the accent on occasion, since he's not Brooklyn-native. Still, it's enjoyable enough in its own right.
h. Misty:8
Again, Knotz stays pretty close to Lillis, and in Misty's case, it works quite nicely. However, I should note that I've heard her on the Learning League website, and in order to differentiate her May and Misty, she seems to have given Misty a bit of a stuffy nose, of which I would have to say "minus mark" in comparison.
i. Dawn: 9
The only reason it's not 10 is because I know there's a little more room for improvement purely acting-wise. Still, I'd be hard pressed to think of another VA who could do a more likable job of voicing Dawn; Jenness really has some kind of special spark in that voice of hers.
j. Paul: 10
I've got absolutely no qualms with Reboledo's Paul; perfect emotion, perfect sound, perfect feeling for him. They hit the mark with him, I tell ya.

Sir Devious
17th September 2007, 8:23 AM
I hated Max's. THat's the only one I have a problem with.

At first I hated Ash and Oak's voices but I leanred to accept them. They got everyone else pretty good voices. =] I like the 4Kids writing better but I still freaking love the current writing. The Anime is still going strong so yeah. =]

Anonymous Trainer
17th September 2007, 8:29 AM
For some reason, Ash's voice still bothers me. It's improved since Diamond and Pearl started, but he still sounds well....stoned. Max's voice always annoyed me for both dubs, I just somehow found a way to tune it out.

Shin Ura Yuuki
17th September 2007, 9:12 AM
The show feels the same to me, minus Ash's voice. I want to like it, really, I do. It just doesn't seem to fit him in my opinion. I really miss Veronica Taylor, and no offense to Sarah, but I hope she's not voicing Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. He was my number one pick for Brawl, and unless the voice director does a great job, I'll hate playing as him. x_x

Pkmn_Collector
18th September 2007, 3:41 AM
well now in d/p we dont have to hear may or max anymore.but people still think they can get back the original VA's even though its a fact after no agreement with PUSA and 4kids.but the new VA's arent bad even though james's voice is still abit wierd sometimes its ok i guess but i really really say these voices are better than the ones they hired for dubbing the mastermind special

RageKaiser
18th September 2007, 5:46 AM
PUSA is way better at dubbing, no pointless edits. The Voice Acting is fine, and what most idiots don't get is that all the Voice actors do have experience.

Have there been ANY edits? o_o

Kariba
18th September 2007, 5:54 AM

You can't compare edits when something is on broadcast vs. cable tv.

OverlordPhoros
18th September 2007, 6:52 AM
Comparison to 4Kids: = Kayzie Rogers' Max is different than Birnbaums, not better or worse, really.
Birnbaum was able to give him a youthful voice that Rogers couldn't quite match, but Rogers made him a little more sensitive, and she could really play the scenes where he was being gentle, like with Deoxys, better than Birnbaum in my book. They both could get him sounding exited in a believable way. (Side note: for that person wanting her fired, since Max left, Kayzie Rogers doesn't work on the show, and Wobbuffet and Mime Jr., her two Pokemon roles, are now filled in by archives/Knotz, respectively.)
Thank god. Seriously Max sounded like he was an Old Lady or something with a cold. (Yeah it was me that posted saying she should be fired.)

On a positive note though. I do think the new Brock voice is alot better, I agree with Shift. It's great to be able to hear him and not instantly think of Seto Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh. (Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged so nailed that comparison. lol).

Eric Stuart had started out well but he is honestly losing his ability to voice act these last few years, It seems like he only knows how to do just 2 different kinds of voices in any show he is on. (Though I'll give him some credit. He used to do a great voice for one of the best recurring gag characters, The Magikarp Salesman. Wonder why they changed it in that Chronicals Ep.)

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th September 2007, 12:06 PM
Eric Stuart pretty much is a joke now. All his voices are either highly overracted to the point of rediculus or horrid accents.

You can't compare edits when something is on broadcast vs. cable tv.
None of the edits were FCC-enforced except probably changing the cards or removing the wine bottle.

Kariba
19th September 2007, 6:48 PM
Eric Stuart pretty much is a joke now. All his voices are either highly overracted to the point of rediculus or horrid accents.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Eric on some commercials on tv. Those jobs are supposed to be pretty high paying ones. So you may not like his character stuff but he's doing a lot on the commercial stuff.

None of the edits were FCC-enforced except probably changing the cards or removing the wine bottle.

It's too bad 4Kids never put out some kind of FAQ to address the things that keep coming up so that the "had to be edited" things are clearly defined for those who are interested. A lot of people are interested. I'm not, but a lot still seem to be.

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th September 2007, 9:38 PM
But on his commercials he actually used his real voice. The main problem is he tries way to hard to make very fake sounding voices.

It's too bad 4Kids never put out some kind of FAQ to address the things that keep coming up so that the "had to be edited" things are clearly defined for those who are interested.
I know realistic firearms, smoking, drinking are some.

I don't think Japanese text, rice balls, or "X" shaped eyes (seriously) are.