PDA

View Full Version : Dawn's Early Night! (517)

Serebii
5th October 2007, 8:02 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/517.jpgPokémon Contest! Hearthome Convention!

Its time to Dawn's next contest. However, as she enters in the contest, she sees that her old friends Nando & Zoey are also entering the contest. With the three co-ordinators eager to win, this is going to prove to be one of Dawn's toughest contests. Will she win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/517.shtml)

Discuss

Korobooshi Kojiro
5th October 2007, 9:37 PM
Toghether was updated with Paul's whole team.

-Starly-
6th October 2007, 2:18 AM
Toghether was updated with Paul's whole team.
http://i21.*******.com/2a91izt.png

Ash's team sure looks underpowered compared to Paul's.

Finally, one of the protagonists didn't make it past the appeal round. And I guess Jessie's appeal including some self-harm will be a running gag in this saga.

I'm surprised that Kinoshita was the art director of this episode, since it looks almost like the art of the OK artists.

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th October 2007, 2:21 AM
Haven't watched all of it yet, but at the beginning there were two parts I loved:

Everyone running into the Gym Door (including Mukkubird!) and then seeing Korotok stare at them, looking down upon the lower scum of Earth.

Jessie, Seviper, and Dustox running around all excited until she announced she wasn't even using them, resulting in a HABRRRRRRRRRRRT!?

TeddiUrsa
6th October 2007, 5:27 AM
Ah, after the lame episode from last week, finally 2 very nice episodes.

I really liked Hikari´s character in the contest one. So over confident, so unsure about herself deep inside, a little *****y after she disappointed herself. It reminded me of the first pachirisu episode. Why can´t Hikari be like this more often?
Her appeal was very nice and she didn´t make a real mistake. The level was just too high for her I guess.

Oh, and is it just me or did Kinoshita improve pretty nice. I mean..the episode was really watchable animation wise. Nothing outstanding , but good enough to enjoy the episode.

Ashy Boy
6th October 2007, 11:41 AM
I can't believe Dawn didn't even pass the first round, she really took it hard big time (and Jessie's taunting made it worse).

Speaking of Jessie, why does she keeping wearing that geeky getup in every contest. You'd think for someone who's trying to be a top coordinator would wear something more glamorous.

ChaosMage
6th October 2007, 2:54 PM
Wow... that was totally blindsighting. We've never seen such an outcome ever! So, did Nando win- I couldn't really tell from the pics. I guess Paul's team is confirmed for now to be staying a while then?

Korobooshi Kojiro
6th October 2007, 3:20 PM
Speaking of Jessie, why does she keeping wearing that geeky getup in every contest. You'd think for someone who's trying to be a top coordinator would wear something more glamorous.
Well, in Hoenn pretty much every Contest she'd lose, cheat, and get revealed to be Team Rocket thus needing a new costume.

However, in Sinnoh, Jessie has never been revealed to be Jessalina, nor has Jessalina ever cheated...so, keeping one persona is probably a good thing.

Anyway, I'm guessing Dawn lost because Piplup and Pachirisu didn't seem to be in-synch, which was especially noticeable compared to how Nando and Jessie's appeals went. They had a nice appeal, but maybe it was too rough?

Oh, and Nando won I'm pretty sure. The way he beat Jessie was awesome, by the way, like somekinda Anime bishounen or something. He's totally one damn good Troubadour.

MechaBulba
6th October 2007, 3:40 PM
Is the site not updateing for me or something? As where are the episode pictures? Normally they are out by now?
For me it says the last update was on Thursday! Not even the "coming up in Japan" has changed?

If Dawn lost this is going to be one LONG series! I meran we got a 3 poart tag battle coming up and still no 3rd gym! Remember in Kanto, AsH would have been on the 4th gym by now. and if Dawn has lost then we will have to have another contest episode!

http://i21.*******.com/2a91izt.png

Ash's team sure looks underpowered compared to Paul's.

Lol Ash's team dose look underpowered! Mukubird looks like the strongest one!
While Puals team can only just fit on the screen. I hope paul removes weavile for something better but keeps Usuring as that bear just fits him and i want to see Ash battle it (with his Snorlax)!

EDIT: Ah now the ep pics are up! Must have been uploading while I was typing! Both episodes looked intresting. However the tag battle episode seemed better! Looks like we are almost near the next gym episode aswell! with both Paul and Nando also in the area!

GreatLiver
6th October 2007, 4:19 PM
Remember in Kanto, AsH would have been on the 4th gym by now.
No, back in kanto by episode 50 they had 6 badges

Pikasaur
6th October 2007, 4:44 PM
i liked the cubone/marowack juggling act and dawns whirlpool/spark(might be thundershock or thundrbolt) combo

Ash6K
6th October 2007, 5:01 PM
Poor Dawn losing in an appeal match, it looked kinda cool but I guess the contest was really high level for her. As for Nando, he was awesome, especially in the appeals round and it was great to see him take victory. Liked how he has a Kricketune now too!

Btw, the opening pic with Paul's team looks pretty cool as well.

Treecko Girl
6th October 2007, 6:05 PM
I can't believe Dawn didn't make it past the appeal stage!!!!
When is she gonna win her second ribbon?!
At this rate she'll never get to the Grand Festival.
I guess the writers are planning to make this a very lenghty series.

(Did she shout at her Pokémon when she found out?! Evil Dawn...)
When is Buizel gonna battle! *Blubbering like a baby* I wanna see that cutie fight!!!
Boy... I talk a lot of rubbish.. Heh heh... Sorry...

dd1zzle
6th October 2007, 8:17 PM
at this rate Dawn will never get a ribbon

S.Suikun
6th October 2007, 8:50 PM
What's this!? S.Suikun is about to review an episode in a serious fashion? What type of madness/sorcery is this?

Let me get one thing out of the way real quick - I have never truly liked Zoey as a character. She comes off as too much of a "friendly" rival to Dawn, and her distaste of doing both gyms and contests always came off as unreasonable to me, hence why I was hoping Fantina would show up to b****-slap her. That said, if Nando is to continue being a recurring rival, he may be the best thing to ever happen to Zoey. *cue shipping* A continued tension between the two could spark some very interesting development over the remainder of the contest arc for both characters, and may actually make me view Zoey as more than one-dimensional.

On to the actual episode, having a main character lose the appeal rounds is a surprising twist, although I guess it was a necessity if this thing wasn't going to become insanely rushed. (My prediction is that there will be another contest in Solaceon Town) Anyways, we got to see Muku.DOORBELL, the debut of Le Mustache, and the practically-forgotten Mime Jr. Though I'm disappointed that they did absolutely nothing with the training done in "Dawn, Zoey, and a Double Performance", throwing that entire episode into forgotten obscurity. Kinoshita is...still Kinoshita, people. Marginal improvement does little wonders when visual mediocrity is still abound. Unless, of course, you like your Marian and Zoey extra-anorexic.

diamond trainer
6th October 2007, 10:57 PM
That took me by surprise that see lost, but its kind off a good thing because in every contest battle the main character is always advancing past the first round.

uber gon
6th October 2007, 11:10 PM
Wonder how that Cubone and Marowak get all those bones? There must be a Marowak graveyard nearby.

TeddiUrsa
7th October 2007, 1:03 AM
nothing with the training done in "Dawn, Zoey, and a Double Performance", throwing that entire episode into forgotten obscurity.

Hey, at least Hikari asked Nozomi about her leg. It was clearly an episode about Nozomi´s feet, not about training.

Kinoshita is...still Kinoshita, people. Marginal improvement does little wonders when visual mediocrity is still abound. Unless, of course, you like your Marian and Zoey extra-anorexic.

Mh, the characters used to be a lot more off in older Kinoshita episodes. The animation are still..well..there are almost none ( see Naoshi´s appeal), but she hides it little better. And, hey...who doesn´t love anorexic people?

Korobooshi Kojiro
7th October 2007, 4:04 AM
Though I'm disappointed that they did absolutely nothing with the training done in "Dawn, Zoey, and a Double Performance", throwing that entire episode into forgotten obscurity

Didn't Pachirisu and Piplup use the same Double Appeal they were practicing in that episode?

And I'm sure we'll see the Icicle Spear...someday!

Momogirl
7th October 2007, 8:21 AM
man, this ep was a good one. I thought it was fairly realistic that dawn didn't do so well this time, though I don't see how she lost to jessies sorry excuse for an appeal. ): them judges are crazy.

wow I also didnt know people couldnt like zoey o.o; I was very happy that she's such a supportive rival! who needs another arrogant rival that teases the main character? not me that's for sure XD too many of those, zoey is pretty different in that sense. she'll probably end up getting over that annoyance with doing both contests and battles soon too, probably that was put in for later character developement. I really like how she comforted dawn at the end too, might be my dawn/zoey shipper-ness coming through, but I thought that was nice for a rival to do.

but anyway, Nando being in the ep pretty much made my whole week XD Even a hardcore new harp for the contest! I also couldnt tell who won..but I guess it doesn't matter. I think this ep will be good for Dawn's overall character developement. good ep, yup.

Somorio
7th October 2007, 8:54 AM
although it was a twist for dawn not making it past the appeal round it kinda felt forced, and a bit of a stretch.

jessie got in how? jessie's appeal was better than dawn's... whatever you say writers...

nando's appeal was next to godly though, probably the most original performence Iv'e seen in quite a while.

I'm kinda mad that a random anime filler guy did better than nando's performance. NOTHING CAN TOP THAT NOTHING!!!

and... was there always a mew on that harp, or was that a new addition.. ugh I can't recall.

Pete the Unstoppable
7th October 2007, 9:20 AM
From the comments I've seen and the pics, this appears to be a really good ep, Dawn doesn't even make it past the appeals rounds and from the pics I've seen, she takes it pretty hard, personally I think if this were to happen it should've happened in AG with May, she's more emotional than Dawn. Also someone needs to upload this epi on YT, but then again if they do most likely they'll get suspended and we don't want that, I don't feel like downloading it...through a torrent anyway and since we aren't allowed to ask for downloads I'm not going to, although I do wanna see this ep and I'm not waiting until Summer 2008 to see it.

Ashy Boy
7th October 2007, 11:50 AM
at this rate Dawn will never get a ribbon

FYI, Dawn DID win a ribbon at the Floaroma Contest. So you can't really say that she hasn't won at least one ribbon.

dd1zzle
8th October 2007, 1:29 AM
FYI, Dawn DID win a ribbon at the Floaroma Contest. So you can't really say that she hasn't won at least one ribbon.

you know out of the 3 contest shes gotten 1 ribbon...

uber gon
8th October 2007, 2:02 AM
you know out of the 3 contest shes gotten 1 ribbon...

Kinda like Zoey during Dawn's first contest.

RageKaiser
8th October 2007, 4:23 AM
I take that by the opening getting updated with Shinji's team, Together is NEVER going to get changed --;

and how much do people wanna bet that the the big word "Bar" is going to get edited by PUSA?

Btw, The for sure destruction of this episode's soundtrack is probably whats going to make me snap against them x_x;

uber gon
9th October 2007, 5:36 AM
I take that by the opening getting updated with Shinji's team, Together is NEVER going to get changed --;

and how much do people wanna bet that the the big word "Bar" is going to get edited by PUSA?

Btw, The for sure destruction of this episode's soundtrack is probably whats going to make me snap against them x_x;

They edited the boss scene for the Burmy episode, so that'll probably happen.

~Mesprit~
9th October 2007, 5:30 PM
Hikari isn't talented coordinator. She would love to be like her mother but not all kids inherit talents of their parents. Nozomi is good with her job but Hikari must learn a lot or give up with her success. She is good trainer and her pokemon also aren't bad but she doesn't have idea how to run a contest show. The last appearance was boring and not original. Pocchama used Bubblebeam, Pachirisu - Sweet Kiss, the red hearts jumped in the bubbles and that was everything what Hikari could figure out. Nozomi's pokemon made a rainbow, even Musashi was better (weird but original). I don't dislike Hikari but doing a good show is little too hard for her. She is still young but I would be happy if she found another goal. It would be a first time when pokemon trainer can't make its dreams real.

Geodude
9th October 2007, 11:05 PM
Well that's just it, it seems that the contests are being paced a little better this time than in Hoenn/BF. Sure Dawn got her first ribbon much sooner than May did, but May didn't lose much overall. Dawn's win/loss record will probably turn out to be a bit more realistic. Also, these losses give us a chance to see some character development for her.

uber gon
9th October 2007, 11:53 PM
Well that's just it, it seems that the contests are being paced a little better this time than in Hoenn/BF. Sure Dawn got her first ribbon much sooner than May did, but May didn't lose much overall. Dawn's win/loss record will probably turn out to be a bit more realistic. Also, these losses give us a chance to see some character development for her.

Because we know the writers won't give much development for SOME other characters.

At least Dawn got over it.

Dax
10th October 2007, 12:01 AM
Hikari isn't talented coordinator. She would love to be like her mother but not all kids inherit talents of their parents. Nozomi is good with her job but Hikari must learn a lot or give up with her success. She is good trainer and her pokemon also aren't bad but she doesn't have idea how to run a contest show. The last appearance was boring and not original. Pocchama used Bubblebeam, Pachirisu - Sweet Kiss, the red hearts jumped in the bubbles and that was everything what Hikari could figure out. Nozomi's pokemon made a rainbow, even Musashi was better (weird but original). I don't dislike Hikari but doing a good show is little too hard for her. She is still young but I would be happy if she found another goal. It would be a first time when pokemon trainer can't make its dreams real.

There's no problem considering she's starting. I love that she lost because it's more real. I never liked May winning over and over after her first ribbon. She lost one but then she kept winning.

CyberCubed
10th October 2007, 1:20 AM
May only had two Contest losses in Hoenn (her first one and the one against the mother coordinator with Lairon), as well as the Grand Festival, and so far Dawn has lost twice as well.

You can't really count the practice Contest as a real loss, so technically Dawn has only lost two Contests so far.

I think a reason why Dawn will have more losses overall if because D/P is going to be a LONG saga and in order to balance out Dawn's ribbons with Ash's badges, she'll have to lose more or she'll get her ribbons too quickly. Since the Grand Festival won't be placed in the middle of her saga, the writers have to do this to balance it out.

uber gon
10th October 2007, 7:12 AM
There's no problem considering she's starting. I love that she lost because it's more real. I never liked May winning over and over after her first ribbon. She lost one but then she kept winning.

May had a real win streak, most of her final matches weren't THAT great.

However, Dawn gets the more experienced rivals this time.

~Mesprit~
10th October 2007, 9:16 AM
Hikari is starting but her mother is coordinator so she should have been leant something about contests from her mother. It's clear that parents teach children about something what they wanna do. Hikari is acting like someone who doesn't have any idea how to do good show. Like I said earlier, I don't dislike her only I see that she is weak.

uber gon
10th October 2007, 8:08 PM
Hikari is starting but her mother is coordinator so she should have been leant something about contests from her mother. It's clear that parents teach children about something what they wanna do. Hikari is acting like someone who doesn't have any idea how to do good show. Like I said earlier, I don't dislike her only I see that she is weak.

She'll get better once some of her pokémon evolve.

Miss Rarity
18th October 2007, 1:03 AM
ROFL! I lurved the Smoochum riding the steelix and blowing kisses! XD Musashi's preformance was kind of lame... It was full of WIN though cause it had mime jr. in it. I feel gipped that they decided not to show Nozomi beating Nando though... >_>;

Dawn_Piplup
19th October 2007, 11:10 PM
Awww! Poor Dawn she lost!
This is the saddest epsiode so far, I felt so sad! I just LOVE dawn! (Isn't it obvious?)

WaterDragon trainer
26th January 2008, 5:40 PM
This episode was good. It was cool to see a Kricketune. There were some double performances that I found to be random; like Smoochum and Steelix. It was awesome to see a Secret Power as well as X-Scissor. It was too bad Dawn didn’t make it.

RageKaiser
26th January 2008, 5:40 PM
Have to say the dub of this episode was great. PUSA did a great job mixing their music in with the Japanese music, I didn't bother me one bit. (shocked? I know.)

But uh, Remember how in an earlier post I predicted that the random "BAR" sign would be painted over in the dub? It wasn't. So hooray for that :D

My least favorite thing about this episode, Zoey. I cannot stand that girl.

Btw, does anyone else get the feeling that Dawn's mother has absolutely no love for her daughter? It seems that way to me. >_>

Momogirl
26th January 2008, 5:45 PM
what's wrong with zoey? By the end of the episode she realy was supportive of dawn, and she even saw her own flaws and complimented nando on doing both contests and battles! Did she do something wrong? O_o; *scratches head*

but yes, good episode *_* nando is just as cool is always, I almost like him in the dub more because of the spanish accent, lol. Atleast now I could see what they were saying! I love the contest rivals in this season so much more than the jerky ones from last season >>;

RageKaiser
26th January 2008, 5:46 PM
what's wrong with zoey? By the end of the episode she realy was supportive of dawn, and she even saw her own flaws and complimented nando on doing both contests and battles! Did she do something wrong? O_o; *scratches head*

Oh, no, It's just Zoey in general. I hate her and her attitude.

E4 Edo
26th January 2008, 5:46 PM
I havent seen it =(

RxZ
26th January 2008, 5:55 PM
I really liked this episode. I agree with Dax. Her losing makes it seem more realistic. It was her FIRST double performance and she lost. She's a newbie trainer starting at 10... What do you expect?
Honestly, do you expect her to be able to compete so well with Nando and Zoey who have had more experience than her? Sure you may say, "well, look at how great May did!" I never found May's whole contest thing very realistic. Plus, some of her appeals SERIOUSLY sucked. Besides, it's good to know that May and Dawn are turning out more different. In the beginning, people complained about them being clones. Well, both of their sagas are turning out to be unexpectedly diverse.
With Dawn, she may not win a lot like May, but they're showing a steady process of her becoming stronger which will add to her character development.

As for the episode overall, I liked seeing the combinations a lot. Especially Nando's.

dman_dustin
26th January 2008, 5:57 PM
Ah yes, this episode was okay, they did rush the ending a bit.

I liked dawn's appeal and it's that which makes me think she only lost because of Jessie, now if one of those random 8 fillers weren't in Jessie and Dawn both would've made it.

And like Jessie said "Yours was good but mine was better" I suppose fireworks are far better than what Dawn did.

PixieMaster
26th January 2008, 8:11 PM
I really enjoyed this one. The unexpected twist where Dawn doesn`t make it to the final round, and the hilarious part where Nando says that the gym leader isn`t here and Ash just goes, "What?" And crashes. I liked this very much.

Pika Hikari KT
26th January 2008, 8:54 PM
Oh, no, It's just Zoey in general. I hate her and her attitude.
You aren't alone. Her bluntness did pull off the Aipom/Buizel trade though...

Dax
26th January 2008, 8:57 PM
I don't like her either. I saw the episode this morning and the combination of her an Nando is horrible. Two boring human beings get together to let us experience how crappy they are.

At least we had Kricketune.

RageKaiser
27th January 2008, 12:38 AM
I don't like her either. I saw the episode this morning and the combination of her an Nando is horrible. Two boring human beings get together to let us experience how crappy they are.

At least Nando sings. =/
Zoey does nothing important but complain and try to motivate Dawn in her lesbionic way, lol.

Geodude
27th January 2008, 4:58 AM
Am I the only one who's not sure why Zoey gets all the hate? I happen to like her. And people's main problem with her, her unexplained grudge against anyone who does both gyms and contests, clearly became much less of an issue at the end of this episode as she gained respect for Nando.

mew..
27th January 2008, 5:02 AM
zoey is awsome at contests,..why do ppl hate her....i hate nando but thats because he wears a cape and carries a harp 0.0

anyway..contests aren't dawns thing yet.....she still need practice.

lightdash
27th January 2008, 9:14 AM
Oh wow, this episode makes me respect the dub version more now. Seriously.

Most of the music are intact, which is big since I would have thought they removed most of the music and add in their weak ones like how they did in the other contests. They still have the Battle version and Ballad version of Dawn's theme so that's fantastic. Then you have the addition of their music, which ties in very well I must say. The translation is superb, being exact in almost all of the scenes, and the emotion is still there. Definitely a great episode no matter which version.

Am I the only one who's not sure why Zoey gets all the hate? I happen to like her. And people's main problem with her, her unexplained grudge against anyone who does both gyms and contests, clearly became much less of an issue at the end of this episode as she gained respect for Nando.

Because apparently people are arrogant since the only reasons they mostly give are either that "she is a pushover" or "she is boring", both which are lame reasons. I'm not seeing it either.

TogeticTheRuler
27th January 2008, 9:52 AM
Damn this episode was actually worthwhile to watch? When is it going to air next?

lightdash
27th January 2008, 12:01 PM
Damn this episode was actually worthwhile to watch? When is it going to air next?

As I recall, it's going to be reaired along with the tag battle episodes which is going to be next week.

Gravy
27th January 2008, 1:21 PM
Because apparently people are arrogant since the only reasons they mostly give are either that "she is a pushover" or "she is boring", both which are lame reasons. I'm not seeing it either.
How is finding a character boring a 'lame' reason to dislike them?

Geodude
27th January 2008, 4:57 PM
Maybe he meant that only saying "she's boring" without elaborating is a lame reason to dislike her.

Durden
27th January 2008, 9:01 PM
Every single piece of music was left intact.
THATS RIGHT, PUSA DIDN'T REPLACE ANY BGMS AT ALL!

We all hate the PUSA music, it just sounds horrible.

*cheers*

CyberCubed
27th January 2008, 10:20 PM

Probably because all she does is mostly the same thing every time we see her. She either acts like a mentor to Dawn or complains about the Gym/Contest thing. I also think people would like her more if the writers didn't show her so much...she's already appeared more in the first 60 eps of D/P than other rivals did in the entire region run.

Rebeccag
27th January 2008, 10:36 PM
I really enjoyed this episode probably one of my faves of the D/P so far. I laughed when Ash fell into the gym door when he found out the gym leader was away and I also laughed when Zoey and Nando were glaring at each other and Dawn was caught in the middle. I also liked the appeals and the double battles. I felt sorry for Piplup though when Dawn shouted at it, I also liked the bit at the end when Zoey conceded that Nando could be a good cordinator after all

jolteonjak
28th January 2008, 12:09 AM
Is it just me, or did Dawn's loss not make much sense? The judges praised her so much. Did that happen in the original version as well, or is this a dub thing?

Personally, I'd've put her through to the next round with the appeal she made here over the appeal she made in Floroma (sp?). She could barely control Pachirisu.

Zoey's appeal seemed kind of awkward. I don't know, but I didn't like it much. She's an OK character, but like Paul, I think they're showing Zoey quite a bit.

Nando's appeal was incredible!

Despite Dawn's loss, I think this is one of my favorites.

lightdash
28th January 2008, 2:19 AM
Maybe he meant that only saying "she's boring" without elaborating is a lame reason to dislike her.

Yes, exactly what I meant. Matter of fact, in general, disliking any character without elaborate reasons is just as lame as well.

Is it just me, or did Dawn's loss not make much sense? The judges praised her so much. Did that happen in the original version as well, or is this a dub thing?
It happened in the original version also. Yeah, it doesn't really make sense...

Avegaille
28th January 2008, 5:57 AM
You people make me laugh. Seriously. xD;; If you all don't like Zoey because you all think she's such a boring/lame/omgshe'salesbian character, then so be it... I like laughing at what you guys say about her anyways... XD

Anyways, episode wise, I finally saw it... >> The dub, so all I have to say is, I was really surprised at the way Zoey is at Nando by the end the episode... But I nearly laughed off my seat when I heard her say " O RLY?" and I think they didn't show off Zoey and Nando's battle due to the fact that they were running out of time... or maybe they just don't want us to see Zoey lose badly.

And remembering correctly, Zoey already lost to 3 contests... and if you include the one with Nando, that makes it 4. >> If anyone listens to watch she says... carefully. The first two was where when she first meets Dawn, and the other one is where she meets the gang again and to catch Buizel.

Darkness Angel
28th January 2008, 7:50 AM
Though I knew the out come of this eppy for a while now it was still nice to be able to finally see it.

Ragnarofl
28th January 2008, 12:37 PM
Probably because all she does is mostly the same thing every time we see her. She either acts like a mentor to Dawn or complains about the Gym/Contest thing.
She has complained about that only two times so far. And apparently now admitted she was at fault.

RageKaiser
29th January 2008, 4:28 AM
Every single piece of music was left intact.
THATS RIGHT, PUSA DIDN'T REPLACE ANY BGMS AT ALL!

We all hate the PUSA music, it just sounds horrible.

*cheers*

You're serious? It was all left intact?
So they just used their music to fill in silence?
Dear god, maybe this'll keep up o_o

(we can all agree that this was one of the best dubbed episodes right?)

lightdash
29th January 2008, 6:32 AM
(we can all agree that this was one of the best dubbed episodes right?)

Definitely. Let's hope future episodes will be just as great as this one was.

Oh, and a side-note, but why has the topic title not been changed yet? o_O

CyberCubed
29th January 2008, 7:37 AM
Rewatched this ep again, yeah, Dawn's appeal loss here did seem kind of off. That kind of appeal just looked perfect and the judges complimented it, I can only imagine how the Japanese felt when they were watching this ep for the first time (since they aren't spoiled like us)...it must have been quite a shocker.

The wierd thing is I felt this was better than her first two appeals in the other contests and she passed there...

TogeticTheRuler
29th January 2008, 7:46 AM
NOO I MISSED THIS EPISODE!

I thought it would be HORRIBLE like the passed dubs since I haven't been watching them for a while.

Did Dawn's theme play?>.> If so, thats an automatic win right there.

If they leave the music intact and fix the voices so they don't sound annoying, it may be just as good as the japanese version

lightdash
29th January 2008, 7:59 AM

I thought it would be HORRIBLE like the passed dubs since I haven't been watching them for a while.

If they leave the music intact and fix the voices so they don't sound annoying, it may be just as good as the japanese version

Yep, automatic win. As a bonus, both of Dawn's theme are intact.

I should just watch this episode again over and over again until I figure out why Dawn lost...>>

pi-pikachu1_1
29th January 2008, 8:02 AM
very good episode... but was jessies tickle thing really that good... i mean it was ok but cmon. 2 pkmn tickle her while shes spinning around ending in some fireworks :rolleyes: dawns was good, but she didnt create a sense of "unity" like zoey did, but whatever

RageKaiser
30th January 2008, 4:56 AM
There is a simple reason why Jessie made it through.
All of the judges are sadists and get their jollies out of the physical torture of others, Therefore when Jessie was putting herself through the torture of the tickle attack, the Judges couldn't help but send her through.

brandon735
30th January 2008, 5:33 AM
I cant believe she lost.I mean Jessies boring performence was boring.I was like:What in the universe.I thought she made it last and lost the second performence stage.Well.There goes 1 contest charcter that lost the first round.And she took it hard.I mean that end part that scream was so unnesisary

E4 Edo
30th January 2008, 5:36 AM
I would be angry to especially after all the hard work and not making it to the last round i would've screamed to...

RageKaiser
30th January 2008, 5:38 AM
I cant believe she lost.I mean Jessies boring performence was boring.I was like:What in the universe.I thought she made it last and lost the second performence stage.Well.There goes 1 contest charcter that lost the first round.And she took it hard.I mean that end part that scream was so unnesisary

Her performance may have been boring to some, But it really makes you think how well she's gotten since her first contest back in (Rustboro was it?)

In the next contest, IMO, I thought she earned that win. I enjoyed her performance.

TogeticTheRuler
31st January 2008, 8:38 AM
Hehe, remember when Jessie told Seviper to use Sacred Fire, but it didn't know how to use it so she did nothing lol.

dman_dustin
31st January 2008, 1:00 PM
Rewatched this ep again, yeah, Dawn's appeal loss here did seem kind of off. That kind of appeal just looked perfect and the judges complimented it, I can only imagine how the Japanese felt when they were watching this ep for the first time (since they aren't spoiled like us)...it must have been quite a shocker.

The wierd thing is I felt this was better than her first two appeals in the other contests and she passed there...

Which is why I think she barely lost, i think it was a tie between Jessie and Dawn but Jessie just impressed the judges more.

Cobalt_Latios
3rd February 2008, 3:29 AM
You people make me laugh. Seriously. xD;; If you all don't like Zoey because you all think she's such a boring/lame/omgshe'salesbian character, then so be it... I like laughing at what you guys say about her anyways... XD

Anyways, episode wise, I finally saw it... >> The dub, so all I have to say is, I was really surprised at the way Zoey is at Nando by the end the episode... But I nearly laughed off my seat when I heard her say " O RLY?" and I think they didn't show off Zoey and Nando's battle due to the fact that they were running out of time... or maybe they just don't want us to see Zoey lose badly.

And remembering correctly, Zoey already lost to 3 contests... and if you include the one with Nando, that makes it 4. >> If anyone listens to watch she says... carefully. The first two was where when she first meets Dawn, and the other one is where she meets the gang again and to catch Buizel.

Wow, she really lost that many contests? I mean, I thought she would have won more than Dawn. But oh well. Also, Zoey took the fact that Nando was doing contests and gyms well... but only after she saw his appeal. Also, I laughed when Dawn was between Zoey and Nando, knowing that Dawn knows that Zoey hates that concept of doing both gyms and contests, and knowing that Nando is doing both just merited a decent lol.

If you'd like, I could send you chunks of it via e-mail. Or, I could upload it on Youtube, and I could give you the link later.

Overall, knowing the outcome of this contest was one thing. Not knowing the music they were going to use was another. Man, it actually felt like she lost big time. However, if you think about from another perspective, this is technically her first loss. Why do I say this? Well, the first type of contests she was doing only involved one Pokemon for the appeals. This one requires two. So in a way its an entirely different form of contests. Since she didn't get enough practice in with this style, I can sorta she her loss as being her first.

Even though I have yet to see it, knowing she loses again is just... mean. Then again I suppose its not that bad. I mean, they've only passed about 5 major cities. Considering how many cities they have left to visit, I think she'll be fine. She needs either another evolution, or another Pokémon for her next one.

Personally, I honestly did not realize any of the music was originally in the... well original version. Though, this makes me amazed that PUSA would actually go that far into doing this. You know, the more I think about it, maybe it was a good idea for PUSA to take over the "entire" Pokémon industry. It seems they're not doing the same mistakes that 4Kids has done (at least from my PoV). Knowing that many others on this forum know a lot more than I do, well take my response for a grain of salt.

Also, there were a good deal of comical events in this episode. Nando being so relaxed towards just about anything gets lots of lulz. Even when Zoey seems to be irritated towards his decisions, he's still calm. Then of course, Ash crashing into the front doors of the gym. Hasn't done that in quite some time (running into things I mean). I still have yet to see the upcoming competition, so that's going to have to wait.

Overall, I thought this episode was very well done. Now for the competition.

~C_L~

Bolt the Cat
21st February 2008, 3:32 AM
Hehe, remember when Jessie told Seviper to use Sacred Fire, but it didn't know how to use it so she did nothing lol.

I don't quite remember that one. Are you trying to trick us?

CabbyFish
22nd February 2008, 1:58 AM

No, but I remember her telling it to use Luster Purge, aka Latios's signature move.

Anyway, the episode wasn't too bad. It's nice to see Zoey finally respecting the idea of doing both contests and gym battles a little bit.

Bolt the Cat
22nd February 2008, 6:59 PM
No, but I remember her telling it to use Luster Purge, aka Latios's signature move.

Anyway, the episode wasn't too bad. It's nice to see Zoey finally respecting the idea of doing both contests and gym battles a little bit.

If that's true, then it just shows how idiotic Team Rocket really is! Not to mention Kenny and Dawn, since Jessie beat them both in Solaceon Town!

Genome
24th February 2008, 4:38 PM
Top notch music and dialogue embracing a good plot all over this episode, it did so well despite shoving the battling portion under the rug. Nando's harmonics and Zoey's ingenuity made this episode have the best appeals I've ever seen all in one contest. Jessie was pretty interesting too, at first I thought she was yelping for pain from Cacnea. Smoochum and Steelix? Talking about random, a nice Duskull(my fave) imprisoning a Psyduck, for the quack's brief attempt to return into the comedy business.

This being Nando's latest appearance, I still don't get why he's seen as so dull and displeasing. I've noticed that he's pulled off some of the best lines of main characters(save Meowth and James):

'Pokemon bard at your service'
'Dear me, thee sparks are suuure flyin'
'Sunflora and Kricketune, make your mark!'

Kricketune will go to good use under Nando, that and Sunflora are beginning to characterize him so swell. Three appearances, three pokemon(and a bonus evolution), rivals are getting good use this time. Zoey VS Nando looks pretty intense too. If 'make your mark' is his catchphrase then that's something I might have to use myself sometime.

Nice feathers and shoulder blade thing there, Nando, except that doesn't count as dressing up! Maybe minor costume glitches are going to be his thing? Sounds interesting. I did find the new harp design quite sharp, some kind of MEW or weasel in it. Maybe Nando's gentle speech pattern makes him my type of guy, that or kids these days prefer characters with a complex(those have actual grow potential).

Dawn was at her best pitch all season, for a random reason Nando improved too, since Dawn of a New Era. And she had some good reactions to go along with it, especially the scream.

'I feel a lot bit nervous'
'Ooookay'

Many times I think PUSA enjoys toying with the dialogue, with the many inserted D/P moments as 'Of course I'm here' it's one of the best original scripts that still sticks the japanese (well, mostly).

8/10 Didn't really think any episode would ever score above 7 without a good battle.

Bolt the Cat
26th February 2008, 10:16 PM
The only thing I liked was the sudden shock when Dawn didn't make it past the first round. Geesh! What a drama queen!

bhrettzerda053
10th April 2008, 12:20 AM
Dawn will never get another ribbon in this one. She thinks it's so grueling, either. And why did Jesse join a Pokemon contest like that?

wobbanut
28th August 2008, 3:09 AM
At least they did something different from normal with this episode, with Jessie getting farther than the twerp in competition, and Dawn washing out in the first round. Her attack looked really good, but I can see after watching her next contest why she didn't advance with the whirlpool/swift combo. It still rankles me that Jessie doesn't win the contest, but at least she gets payback with the next one. :D Mime Jr. and Cacnea working together was cute.

DanChimchar
6th October 2008, 10:23 PM
I was so sad when Dawn did not make it a shed a tear
It was the same day as my school play and I'm like if Dawn wins this then I can do great at my perfomance at my play. Then she didn't make it I got so scaried and sad but I still did good poor dawn

Tadashi
8th November 2008, 9:28 AM
Everyone running into the Gym Door (including Mukkubird!) and then seeing Korotok stare at them, looking down upon the lower scum of Earth.

^ The greatest thing I've seen in a long time ^___^

I'm kinda glad Dawn didn't get past the appeal round... after seeing May do quite well throughout her tenure, it's nice to see some failure every now & then ^^

Don't be so shocked guys, jeez...

Shiny qwilfish of doom
14th November 2008, 9:44 AM
The only thing I liked was the sudden shock when Dawn didn't make it past the first round. Geesh! What a drama queen!

XD

i knew she wouldnt win the ribbon. It was pretty sad when Dawn cried too.

Jessie&James
14th November 2008, 9:54 AM
I feel sorry for Dawn... and it's a pity that Jessie didn't win the contest either

TurtwigFan1
10th December 2008, 8:17 PM
Great episode! I loved the contest, sad that Dawn and Jessie didn't win. Nando hasn't been seen for 60 episodes now, his ribbon should've gone to someone else!

Igottapoo
6th January 2009, 10:40 AM
Eh, another contest episode. >_> I hate contests. Oh well. They're not going away. Decent episode anyway.

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 12:09 PM
it was a nice episode if you ask me, it has been a while since we saw nando.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 5:09 PM
I dont like contest episodes..its to much if ask me

Torpoleon
12th May 2009, 4:09 PM
I feel sorry for dawn that she lost. At least she tried her best! Also, nice episode title. (sings the star spangeled banner)

S.Suikun
7th July 2009, 3:21 AM
Oh crap! It's Nozomi! The only thing that could possibly make me care less about this episode's cast is if Naoshi were to randomly show up! And he does! Zzzzzz... blah. I actually don't dislike this contest, if mainly because we finally get to see the lead female flop in the appeal round. I mean, seriously, the fact that all previous appeal rounds had been successes really killed any past tension they were going for by having the girls pray they would make it. Likewise, Hikari's total breakdown here is rather understandable, methinks, and sets the stage for her eventual descent into unspeakable madness and fury manic depression (or "emo", if you ask anybody else in the fanbase). I really wish we got to see the battles here, however.

It's no secret that I don't like pre-Kissaki Nozomi and could not possibly care less for Naoshi. Seeing as how Nozomi's gym/contest dislike had a lot of potential here with Naoshi's dual paths, it's a drag that they didn't actually take it anywhere. Instead, Nozomi ends up looking like the busy-body that we'd come to begin to demonize by this point, while Naoshi looks as dry of a character as ever. Doesn't help Naoshi in that he'd dragged along Kazue Kinoshita in all three of his appearances. Wasted character opportunities are what bug me about this episode more than the unseen battles, to be honest. Luckily the rest of Yosuga is fantastic.

C+

DarkZerkerX
17th August 2009, 8:04 AM
Dawns performance was ze uba cool! But she didnt make it because of the genericness of it all. I mean everyone can look cute if they tried,but only the people with skillz can make it through well.

Dawns personality fit with my vision of if that episode really happened in RL and i was there to watch. Sure and over confident, just what a young and inexperienced coordinator should be.Yet crushed and depressed when she lost,just like how a young and inexperienced coordinator should be.Kinda felt bad for dawn though.

Willow's Tara
13th November 2009, 5:15 AM
I am not a big fan of contest episodes but this was interesting because Dawn didn't make it to the second round, considering May had gotten to every second round in her contest it was interesting to see something nice, then Dawn loses her next ribbon (Or was that before this episode? I forget).

I wonder if there's a possibly if Jessie gets in the GF and Dawn doesn't, or if either doesn't get into the Grand Festival or Dawn doesn't do too well in GF, it would be interesting

Lorde
17th November 2009, 4:11 AM
I'm shocked that Dawn lost so quickly. At least May made it to the final round before she lost.

I liked seeing Nando again, I wish he'd appear more.

4/10

Ash-kid
2nd December 2009, 11:31 AM
It was odd to see a main character don't make it to the next step, but it's was worth it
I loved to see Nando again, and his pokemon were great

KGB13
7th March 2010, 12:39 PM
I liked all the appeals, my favorite was Nando's. It was pretty sad that Dawn didn't even make it pass the first round but I know in time she'll become a great coordinator. Nice episode.

Indragon
11th March 2010, 12:19 PM
I thought despite the competition, Dawn was gonna be winning this contest. Pretty surprising the way she failed. Not a bad episode, but still not as good as it potentially could have been.

wind21
5th July 2010, 11:49 PM
Skipping 2 reviews this time. dp 46 is one of the 2 best pokemon are separated episodes in Sinnoh, while dp 47 is a filler.

Dawn's loss in the first round of this contest is startling b/c of the reason why she loses: there is not a reason. The writers almost ruin the episode by having Zoey remark that Dawn is overconfident just before the start of the contest, as if to give a cause for Dawn's failure (cold feet from the writers). Fortunately, though, Ash, Brock and Pikachu set the moral straight when they smilingly tell Dawn she put on a great performance (which, truthfully, she did) after the first round results have been announced. Dawn snaps, asking why did she lose then? Ash and Brock do not have an answer; their smiles are gone, replaced by pained expressions, b/c they told her the truth. She worked really hard, she executed the appeal well, and yet somehow she did not advance. As Dawn's mother says when she sees the results, sometimes life goes that way. And it hurts. It hurts to give your best but to realize it just was not enough to win, especially considering that Dawn won her last contest. She had no reason to think she would not advance to the second round. Furthermore, as she runs outside the building crying, the contest continues. The lady commentator announces the start of the second round, and the crowd is ready for it. None of them care how much hard work Dawn put into preparing the performance, or that she did a good job, or that she is not there now in the second round. This is why it is important in life to have friends who really understand you and what you do. Dawn, luckily, has that in Ash and Brock this episode.

Unluckily in this episode, she has Zoey as her friend as well. Zoey's reaction to Dawn's outburst is ridiculous and heartless; she gives Dawn a glare as if she expected her to get angry the way she does and is wrong for doing so. The good thing for Zoey in this episode is that after bad-mouthing Nando at the beginning, she loses to him, giving him his second ribbon (good for Nando, too!). The pokemon bard finally does what has been unthinkable in dp so far in defeating Zoey, earning him his credentials as a coordinator. However, Zoey ends the episode on a bad note, reprimending Dawn for complaining about her first round loss (while Zoey has the right to think about her loss to Nando). Ash points out that since Zoey and Dawn both lost, they can comfort each other, but the idea is off. Dawn's loss does not compare with Zoey's at all; as Dawn tries to tell Zoey before being criticized, Dawn would have loved to have finished as high as Zoey did.

Well, Zoey has another terrible outing. I do remember her doing something right eventually, so I have to keep going until I find it. Down the road, she does give Dawn some words of advice that stick with Dawn for a very long time, so that is important.

saar
8th July 2010, 5:02 PM
I think a loss in this round was needed, so people will realize the appeal round is not so easy. I personaly think Dawn did good in the appeal. Jessie's appeal wasn't better than hers.

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 2:02 PM
Yes thats totally correct. The appeal round is not at all easy. But it was a shock for Dawn

Caseydia
20th December 2010, 8:46 PM
Nobody must have didn't tell Dawn that it was about showing the Pokemon's attacks and beauty other than just the attacks. If she was told, then maybe she would have done differently. But even if her appeal was good, it wasn't the right kind. This makes it better than when they showed the Contests in Hoenn. They made the appeal rounds too easy and then when they got to the battling, it was mostly luck. Half of them didn't seem like they knew how to battle.

G50
27th April 2011, 1:09 PM
This episode was good. It was interesting to see Dawn lose in the Appeal Round, the 1st time a character hasn't made it passed the Appeal Round. It was funny when they walked up to the Gym door, and instead of it opening, they ran right into it. It was disappointing to find out that the Gym Leader wasn't there. Dawn didn't do badly in the Appeal Round, but the other Coordinators did a much better job. Pachirisu and Piplup just didn't look like they were in sync, and that was probably what cost her. It was cool to see a Kricketune for the time.

50/100

Caseydia
15th May 2011, 2:47 AM
It's interesting to see Dawn lose but I can understand why. It's supposed to be about making the Pokemon look good along with the appeal, not just the attack itself. And even if she didn't get to the appeal round, they could have still made Jessie win a ribbon.

KingMinun
28th June 2013, 11:26 AM
Now this was a brilliant episode, I'm glad that they finally had a main character other than Jessie lose in the appeals round so that it doesn't seem so easy, in Hoenn, every main character that entered seemed to pass the round with ease, even when they never entered a contest, including Ash, May, and Brock, this is why I love DP contests over Hoenn, because they didn't seem so easy, I know you could say that Dawn got through the appeal round in her first contest too, but for Dawn, it seems a bit more realistic than the other 3 because she has a coordinating background, her mother was a coordinator, and Dawn always took an interest in it. It also added a nice element to Dawn's story, something we haven't actually explored in Pokemon yet.

Lorde
25th November 2014, 12:28 AM
I cackled when Ash and his Pokemon ran and crashed into the Hearthome Gym's closed door; I guess Ash can't read English signs. Anyway, Nando's musical appeal with Sunflora and Kricketune was fabulous and I enjoyed Zoey and Jessie's appeals as well. Seeing Dawn running outside after she discovered that she flopped was heartbreaking.