PDA

View Full Version : Glory Blaze! (519)

Serebii
18th October 2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/519.jpgChimchar VS Zangoose! Battle of Fate!

Ash, Paul, Dawn & Brock have all got through to the next round. With Dawn & Brock teamed up with Random trainers and Ash teamed up with Paul, the gang will have their hardest challenges yet. However, with Paul using his Chimchar, will he finally accept Chimchar's strengths? And will Ash & Co. all get to the next round?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/shinou/519.shtml)

Discuss

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th October 2007, 11:50 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/119270183071845d0.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/11927019807803f04.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/11927021400916318.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702168538e817.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702272103cb7a.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702211690e122.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702585123fadd.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702656718cfb8.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/119270275836345e9.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/11927027940694b9e.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702801018cb58.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702890809999d.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702937933cddb.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/Yukiwarashi/1192702973550fe84.jpg

Darkness Angel
18th October 2007, 11:52 AM
I guess I was to late to post some screen shots oh well.

Pachirisu
18th October 2007, 12:00 PM
If anyone wanted to know, Turtwig did not evolve. And now Ash and Paul have to defeat Brock and that girl with Wingull to move on to the finals. Dawn also won her match with that super creepy guy. It was A good episode. The episode also explains why Paul caught Chimchar. Well its more like Chimchar went along with him.

DuquĘ?
18th October 2007, 12:23 PM
Well, I hope have a good explanation for why chimchar went along with him. Chimchar disobeyed Paul for save turtwig? It's look like, so this was the last drop for Paul. Good luck, Ash, in fix this traumatized monkey!

And Brock make his 4th admirer in 10 years of anime...

Pika Hikari KT
18th October 2007, 3:27 PM
Well well--looks like our Goten is more of a Gohan!*shot* Won't be surprised to see him evolve at least once staying with Ash.;)

And as I suspected, Chimchar has a bad history with Zangoose...not to mention it was beat up when Paul ran into him, though with a bit of a twist.

Pokemon Master1995
18th October 2007, 3:45 PM
Does chimchar leave or get realeased

uber gon
18th October 2007, 7:28 PM

He gets released.

Heh, Turtwig back stabbed Zangoose. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

FireFalcon
18th October 2007, 7:29 PM

Chimchar gets released

Korobooshi Kojiro
18th October 2007, 7:32 PM
It looks like Shinji doesn't release Chimchar totally out of hate, but gives him the choice of who he wants to go with.

Dogasu
18th October 2007, 10:59 PM
Heh...before the show starts, there's a commercial for a new Final Fantasy VII "potion" soft drink x_x

Anyways...on to the episode!

-The cold opening shows scenes from the previous episode.

-Opening: Together
-Title Screen-

-It's nighttime, and Mukubird is ordered to use Aerial Ace on all of Satoshi's pokemon. The bird obeys, but everyone is able to dodge by doing that spin thingee Hikari taught them back during the Kurogane episodes.
-Suddenly, in the distance, Satoshi spots a huge blast of fire...
-Meanwhile, at the Pokemon Center, a huge number of trainers have gathered with pokemon who need to be healed (a lot of the trainers look the guys from the Recycled Characters (http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/recylcing.html) page on my website). Joi is overwhelmed by the sheer number of Monster Balls piled up on the counter...it's at this time that Takeshi appears out of nowhere and offers to help out. Off to the side, Honoka angrily wonders why Takeshi is spending time there when he could be training with her...
-Elsewhere in the Center, Hikari and Kouhei are sitting at a table together, talking about strategy. Kouhei starts to give a really technical battle explanation that confuses Hikari. She eventually gets it, though, and runs off to tell Satoshi. After Hikari leaves, Kouhei takes off his glasses, wipes them off, and glares menacingly into his reflection.
-Back in the forest, Satoshi finds Shinji doing some late-night training with his pokemon. But something's wrong...Shinji has his weakened Hikozaru face off against all his other pokemon at once! Satoshi's rival orders his Elekid, Ringuma, Dodaitoise, and Yamikarasu to all use their energy attacks on Hikozaru and then tells the fire-type to use its Flame Wheel. Hikozaru obeys and, impressively enough, is able to repel all of the attacks thrown at it. Next, it uses Flamethrower, but the attack misses and hits Satoshi right in the chest! The attack knocks the young trainer back, causing both Pikachu and Hikozaru to run to his side. Satoshi merely gets up and brushes himself off, praising Hikozaru for having such a strong attack.
-Watching all of this unfold is the Rocket-Dan, who remain hidden behind the bushes.
-Shinji tells his pokemon to keep training. As Hikari arrives on the scene, Satoshi asks Shinji why he's so much tougher on Hikozaru than he is on his other pokemon. At first, Shinji replies by saying that that's none of his business. However, after Hikari yells at him for a minute, Shinji reveals that he is trying to unleash Hikozaru's true power. At that time, Shinji and his other four pokemon turn around and walk away, leaving Hikozaru behind. The monkey pokemon hesitates for a moment before reluctantly following behind its trainer.
-Meanwhile, in the bushes, Musashi comments on how Hikozaru desperately needs a trainer who can take better care of it. She decides that, logically, she should have the pokemon, so she begins to plan on a way to make the pokemon hers...
-In a different part of the forest (I guess?), Shinji resumes his training. He has Ringuma use Hammer Arm, Dodatoise use Leaf Storm, Yamikarasu use Sky Attack, and Elekid use...some electric attack. Hikozaru is then ordered to use Flame Wheel, but it's unable to launch the attack in time and is hit by the Sky Attack. Hikozaru tries to stand back up, but it falls back down to the ground. Shinji, unaffected by any of this, orders Elekid to use Thunder on the defeated Hikozaru. Just as the attack is about to hit, Pikachu jumps in the way and absorbs it. Satoshi and Hikari catch up and tell Shinji to take his pokemon to the Pokemon Center. Shinji reluctantly agrees.
-At the Center, Takeshi takes care of Hikozaru in a separate "surgery room" (it's similar to the room Raikou was in at the Pokemon Center during "The Legend of Raikou"). Satoshi, Hikari, and Honoka watch on from behind a pane of glass. Shinji is nowhere to be seen. Honoka comments on how good Takeshi is at taking care of pokemon, prompting Hikari to add that they've been saved by his expertise on more than one occasion. Then, the three trainers randomly tell each other that they'll win the tag battle tournament.
-After a short while, Takeshi emerges from the "surgery room" and tells Satoshi-tachi that Hikozaru will be better as long as it's allowed to rest.
-Later that night, everyone is sitting at the tables in the common area. Takeshi and Shinji are sitting at one table, Satoshi is sitting at a table beside them, and the Rocket-Dan are eavesdropping from a table behind Shinji and Takeshi.
-Takeshi repeats the question the others had for Shinji..."Why do you train Hikozaru so much harder than your other pokemon?" This time, Shinji answers by launching into a flashback...
-The flashback begins with Shinji catching a Tekkanin in a forest. As soon as he catches the pokemon, Shinji and his Elekid look up and notice that the sky has gotten dark. Suddenly, they hear a horrible screech. They look up at the treetops and see a Hikozaru being chased by a gang of Zangoose. As Hikozaru jumps from limb to limb, one of the Zangoose uses its Crush Claw attack to cut the tree branch that the monkey had just jumped onto. Hikozaru falls and is immediately lynched by about half a dozen Zangoose. As the pokemon continues to take hit after hit, Shinji looks on. Eventually, Hikozaru is chased to the edge of a cliff where a waterfall can be seen flowing. As the Zangoose gather around it, blocking off all possible exits, Hikozaru doesn't seem to have any hope left! The Zangoose all jump up at once to attack when suddenly, the fire on Hikozaru's tail flares up! Hikozaru launches into a massive Flame Wheel attack and plows through the Zangoose, rolling around in circles and breaking through boulders in the process. After the assault is over, Hikozaru looks around with an air of confusion...did it really just defeat all those Zangoose by itself? Shinji, still looking on, can't believe the power of this pokemon and decides that he wants this power for himself. So, he approaches Hikozaru and tells it to look at what it did. As Hikozaru notices the burn marks on the ground for the first time, Shinji tells it (in a rather coarse way) to come with him.
-Shinji ends his story by saying that after he caught Hikozaru, he taught it how to use Dig so it could win Pokemon League matches while it tries to learn how to control is awesome power. He states that he'll resume his training tomorrow, but everyone raises their voice in protest. Joi even steps in and tells Shinji that he'd better let his pokemon rest the next day...

-eyecatch-

-It's time for the next day of tag battles! The teams of Hikari and Kouhei and Takeshi and Honoka (with hearts in her eyes) advance through the league, and the time for Satoshi and Shinji's battle comes. Satoshi calls on his Naetle while Shinji calls out his Hikozaru!
-In the stands, the Rocket-Dan are selling concessions again. Musashi comments on how she thought Hikozaru was supposed to be taking it easy...
-Satoshi's and Shinji's opponents are revealed. The first opponent, a trainer wearing a cape, takes out his Metagross. Hikari scans the pokemon with her Pokemon Zukan. Takeshi says that Naetle won't be any good against that opponent, so it'll be up to Shinji and his Hikozaru to defeat that one. The second opponent is a karate-looking guy with a Zangoose. Satoshi, remembering Shinji's story, gasps in shock. Shinji merely smiles. Hikari scans Zangoose with her Pokemon Zukan.
-Before the battle starts, Satoshi tells Shinji to leave Zangoose to them.
-And...the battle commences! The caped guy orders Metagross to use Comet Punch, so Shinji counters by having Hikozaru use Flame Wheel. Zangoose jumps up to attack Hikozaru in mid-Flame Wheel, but Naetle steps in with Razor Leaf to stop it. However, Zangoose uses Crush Claw to deflect all the leaves, taking no damage.
-Meanwhile, Metagross seems to have dodged Hikozaru's attack and counters with some spinning attack...thing. Zangoose also strikes Naetle. After that, Hikozaru is ordered to use Dig. Metagross responds with a Magnet Rise attack. Suddenly, Zangoose leaps up from behind Metagross and uses Crush Claw on the monkey pokemon.
-As the battle continues, Naetle uses Tackle on Zangoose. The pokemon jumps out of the way, revealing Metagross behind it. The metal pokemon uses Psychic on Naetle, knocking it backwards.
-At that moment, karate guy orders Zangoose to use Crush Claw on Hikozaru, causing the fire-type pokemon to remember the gang who had attacked it earlier. Satoshi notices that Hikozaru is immobilized by fear and orders his Naetle to use Bite attack on Zangoose's arm. That attack is halted, much to Hikozaru's relief. However, Metagross appears and is ordered to use Comet Punch while Naetle still has Zangoose clamped in its mouth! Shinji sees the oncoming attack and decides to be the one who saves the day, so he orders Hikozaru to use Flame Wheel. The attack hits Zangoose and Metagross, but it also hits Naetle as well! Hikozaru looks back and sees its weakened teammate and starts to feel guilty as Hikari-tachi look on in disbelief. Naetle can barely stand up at this point.
-Satoshi's opponents don't let this opportunity pass them by. Karate dude orders his Zangoose to use Crush Claw, pinning Hikozaru to the ground. The monkey pokemon looks up at its attacker and is suddenly overtaken by fear and anxiety. Shinji orders his pokemon to use Flame Wheel, but it's too scared to obey. At this moment, Shinji says "So that's it, huh?" and turns his back on the pokemon. Seeing that Shinji has given up, Satoshi steps in and orders Naetle to use Razor Leaf. The attack frees Hikozaru, but the badly bruised Naetle falls over from fatigue. Zangoose takes this opportunity to use Fire Blast, but this time, Hikozaru is the one to save the day! It steps in between the attack and Naetle, shielding Satoshi's pokemon. The flame on Hikozaru's tail begins to grow as it continues to block the attack, but Shinji doesn't notice. Metagross steps in with Comet Punch, so Satoshi orders Hikozaru to use Flamethrower. Hikozaru obeys and hits the pokemon directly, causing it to faint. Satoshi cheers on the pokemon and reminds his team to remain focused.
-At this point in the episode, "Pokemon Symphonic Medley" begins to play.
-Next, Naetle uses Tackle, but Zangoose dodges it and uses Crush Claw. Naetle reponds by hitting Zangoose with Razor Leaf before following up with another Tackle. Zangoose is hit from behind and is thrown into the edge of the stadium, hitting its head on the wall and fainting.
-The Satoshi and Shinji team have won! Hikozaru looks up to its trainer, but Shinji does not look impressed.
-The line-up for the next round is announced, and it looks like Satoshi and Shinji will be facing off against Takeshi and Honoka while Hikari and Kouhei will be facing off against Recylced Characters #123703.
-That night, Shinji releases his Hikozaru and tells it to go wherever it wants. Hikozaru looks confused. Satoshi and his friends arrive on the scene and ask him why he's giving the pokemon up. Shinji doesn't answer and just walks off. Hikozaru begins to walk by itself into a dark forest, but Satoshi stops it and asks it to join him! Hikozaru stops and looks up at the trainer. Shinji, who had been walking away, stops as well. Will Hikozaru accept Satoshi's offer? To be continued!!

Orchid-Hakase lecture: Doutakun. Orchid-Hakase makes Doutakun embarrased somehow...

mystkmastkal
18th October 2007, 11:04 PM
oh my god the first time a girl has had to "heart" eyes for brock...

Kabuto
19th October 2007, 12:15 AM
Wow poor chimchar. The first time I actually wanted to strangle Shinji/Paul.

Geodude
19th October 2007, 1:25 AM
This episode includes the harshest treatment of a Pokemon we've ever seen in the show. If you thought Paul was ruthless before...

S.Suikun
19th October 2007, 1:37 AM
Seems they finally ended that 10th Anniversary crap. The work the writers are doing with Paul makes their attempts with Gary look flat-out pathetic. Seriously, Gary was a decent rival and all (mainly Kanto Gary) who gave Ash motivation and a reason to want to beat him, but he lacked a little something Paul has - DEPTH. The way bits and pieces of his and his Pokemon's past are steadily trickling out is truly rewarding. He's not simply a cold-hearted creeper. He's a col-hearted creeper with background, motives, and chemistry. In spite of Chimchar's fear of Zangoose rivalry being a little reminiscent of Meowth-in-Boots' hatred of Persians, it was pulled off equally well here. Speaking of Zangoose, it seems the animation team really felt like bringing out its "creepy" side in this. Also, the Metagross trainer reminded me of the Dragon Tamers from the games.

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th October 2007, 1:40 AM
Not too mention Chimchar getting like killed by Zangoose, and Ash taking a Flamethrower directly. The writers really seemed to make this episode pretty violent, for Pokemon.

Also, the Metagross trainer reminded me of the Dragon Tamers from the games.

I believe last episode had the scientist from the games, and we had the Blackbelt in this one as well.

RageKaiser
19th October 2007, 1:41 AM
What was the point of changing the ending song if they weren't gonna change the video?

Bryon
19th October 2007, 1:45 AM
I dunno, Gregguru. Kinda wish I knew too. Ya also think they woulda considered adding Chimchar to the mix, since it seems Ash is gonna get him either in the end of the next episode, or at the start. XD

This episode just from the screenshots show Ash is really impressed by Chimchar after seeing him in battle with Paul several times. Like last time when Ash complimented him on his Flamethrower when Paul was training Chimchar on the sides rather than observing the battle.

It also is interesting to see just how far Paul would go just for satisfaction of his Pokemon. Guy has WAY too high of expectations.

Bryon

Origamigryphon
19th October 2007, 2:29 AM
First off, I gotta hail the animators for this. They made zangoose look absolutely ferocious. I love it!

Second, I agree with Suikun; they're giving the characters more than just what's on the surface, and it's trying (and succeeding!) to be no longer a single episode with a happy ending. The violence is finally starting to show the darker side of pokemon, and that's exactly what I've been waiting for. I think I have enough cavities to last me a year.

Black/Light
19th October 2007, 2:31 AM
Can anyone direct me to a bittorrent for this?

RageKaiser
19th October 2007, 2:45 AM
That Hikozaru is probably going to Skyrocket to a place in my top 3 Satoshi-tachi pokemon, Along with Pocchama and Gregguru.

Shinji needs to be punched in the face really really badly :\

And also about the preview, I see that Hikari is using Buizel...
Y'know what pokemon of hers needs battle/screen time? Mimirol `-`

Kabuto
19th October 2007, 3:39 AM
Watch it evolve in like two episodes for Ash >_<.

Anyway, the little monkey is one of my favorite pokemon. I hate to see it abused, despite the fact that Shinji is the best character in DP.

TeddiUrsa
19th October 2007, 3:43 AM
One of the most brutal pokemon episodes in my opinion. Turtwig looked SO burned when after chimchar hitted it with its fire attack...

I really liked the episode, which isn´t suprising I guess.

Shinji is awesome. period.

uber gon
19th October 2007, 6:20 AM
That Hikozaru is probably going to Skyrocket to a place in my top 3 Satoshi-tachi pokemon, Along with Pocchama and Gregguru.

Shinji needs to be punched in the face really really badly :\

And also about the preview, I see that Hikari is using Buizel...
Y'know what pokemon of hers needs battle/screen time? Mimirol `-`

With the surprises this season is showing, we may see Ash do a shoryuken on Paul's ***.

Anyway, anyone notice that that karate guy threw his pokéball like a hadouken?

FOCUS BLAST sucked.

Momogirl
19th October 2007, 9:25 AM
hi..hikozaru...;~; That poor dear! Such an epic episode though, epic music during the fight, everything. I normally don't like monkeys but hikozaru is becoming one of my faves. I hope they make the music just as, or more epic in the dub.

Paul needs to be punched, I agree with this so much. He didn't even LOOK at hikazaru after the fight ;_; what a jerk. I don't think I can ever like Paul after that, haha. No sad past or depth of character is an excuse for that :| great rival for ash atleast.

Venusaur Master
19th October 2007, 6:06 PM
Awesome episode. Poor chimchar getting attacked by all its comrades. It seems that all of paul's other pokemon have his same aditude like that murkrow.

Origamigryphon
19th October 2007, 7:59 PM
Me again.

I would laugh if Chimchar just swats Ash's hand away and continues going on its merry way...

OR

I would laugh even harder if Chimchar not only swats his hand away, but goes back to Paul on its little monkey knees.

Or a little of both? Chimchar refuses Ash, goes off my itself to train itself, comes back after a while and challenges all of Paul's pokemon again, and totally whomps all of them. Sorta like "You could have had this, but you gave it up. Sucker!"

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th October 2007, 8:05 PM
Y'know, the way Jessie apparently mentioned her feeling sorry for Chimchar reminded me of how neat, personally, it'd be if Chimchar, feeling angry, went off an joined her out of spite. I think it'd make a nice episode atleast.

Other things...

* Those two trainers were oddly close the whole battle.
* Is Kouhei planning to rape Dawn or something? That evil grin in his glasses makes me wonder if he's just trying to win the tournament to get some Glameow.
* In Oak's Lecture...um...he made Bronzong blush (the fact Bronzong has no blood is another story)
* Paul mentioned getting another Fire type. Maybe he'll appear in Chimchar's Tears with it.
* Honoka has a Nosepass, and Kouhei has an Aggron.

Kreis
19th October 2007, 8:16 PM
It would be interesting if Hikazaru swatted Ash's hand, and goes off, then he would encounter Team Rocket/Jessie and decided to go with her, but that is most likely not going to happen.
I felt really sorry for the Chimchar, it looks really sweet. I've always detested Chimchar, but it looks so adorable in this episode. Shiji is such an idiot, he shouldn't have released that Chimchar. The only Pokemon Shini is going to end up with his most likely his Torterra.
Ash is probably going to be stalking Shinji, and waiting for him to realease more Pokemon. ;D

Kabuto
19th October 2007, 8:39 PM
Chimchar was really the only pokemon Shinji treated like dirt. The rest of them he either released at the VERY beginning, or they were strong enough in his eyes to begin with.

Venusaur Master
19th October 2007, 8:52 PM
anyone know the attack ursuring was using ( the ball of light one) ?

Kabuto
19th October 2007, 8:57 PM
ursaring used focus blast

uber gon
19th October 2007, 9:26 PM
ursaring used focus blast

Frankly I was hoping a 120 attack power fighting move would be much cooler.

Chimchar got what it deserved.

turtle twig
19th October 2007, 9:51 PM
I have never been more curious about anyone's dialogue as I am about Paul/Shinji's. Can anyone PLEASE translate any of his lines?Anything he said to Chimchar?

kewlmyc
19th October 2007, 9:52 PM
Frankly I was hoping a 120 attack power fighting move would be much cooler.

Chimchar got what it deserved.

A little harsh there, buddy? I'm a big Shinji fan and even I have to admit I felt sorry for Chimchar. I wonder if PUSA will edit this episode since this is the most violent pokemon episode I ever saw.

Y'know, the way Jessie apparently mentioned her feeling sorry for Chimchar reminded me of how neat, personally, it'd be if Chimchar, feeling angry, went off an joined her out of spite. I think it'd make a nice episode atleast.

Other things...

* Those two trainers were oddly close the whole battle.
* Is Kouhei planning to rape Dawn or something? That evil grin in his glasses makes me wonder if he's just trying to win the tournament to get some Glameow.
* In Oak's Lecture...um...he made Bronzong blush (the fact Bronzong has no blood is another story)
* Paul mentioned getting another Fire type. Maybe he'll appear in Chimchar's Tears with it.
* Honoka has a Nosepass, and Kouhei has an Aggron.
I hope he gets a Magby so he can both a Magmortar and Electivire by the Sinnoh Championship.

Also I wonder where his Weavile was during the training scene.

Kabuto
19th October 2007, 11:09 PM
That was a really nice piece of music that played at the end of this episode

Ash6K
19th October 2007, 11:54 PM
Ooh, amazing episode. The treatment to Chimchar was way harsh yet I liked seeing it I guess since it was part of good development. Paul's flashback with Chimchar was cool too and I liked how it showed the potential for Chimchar's power. As for Chimchar and Turtwig vs. Metagross and Zangoose, also awesome. Zangoose looked so threatening and I kinda felt bad seeing Chimchar go through so much abuse in that episode. Turtwig also was awesome as well by back stabbing Zangoose, saving Chimchar, etc.

Overall, amazing episode. It was pretty violent (compared to other pokemon battles) but that made the episode even better. Can't wait to see Chimchar's good future with Ash's team.

uber gon
19th October 2007, 11:57 PM
Ooh, amazing episode. The treatment to Chimchar was way harsh yet I liked seeing it I guess since it was part of good development. Paul's flashback with Chimchar was cool too and I liked how it showed the potential for Chimchar's power. As for Chimchar and Turtwig vs. Metagross and Zangoose, also awesome. Zangoose looked so threatening and I kinda felt bad seeing Chimchar go through so much abuse in that episode. Turtwig also was awesome as well by back stabbing Zangoose, saving Chimchar, etc.

Overall, amazing episode. It was pretty violent (compared to other pokemon battles) but that made the episode even better. Can't wait to see Chimchar's good future with Ash's team.

Maybe Turtwig will learn SEED BOMB and it'll explode in front of an opponent's face, blinding him/her next EP.:D

Dogasu
20th October 2007, 2:18 AM
Can anyone direct me to a bittorrent for this?

Asking for/providing links to downloadable content is not allowed on this forum.

I have never been more curious about anyone's dialogue as I am about Paul/Shinji's. Can anyone PLEASE translate any of his lines?Anything he said to Chimchar?

Read the synopsis I posted on the first page. Plenty of his lines were translated in that.

Geodude
20th October 2007, 3:55 AM
and Ash taking a Flamethrower directly.
Charizard says hi.

Speaking of which, Charizard's flames always left Ash extra crispy, whereas Chimchar's Flamethrower had concussive force instead.

hatotab
20th October 2007, 4:18 AM
AMAZING episode. OHHHH THE DRAMAAAAA!! I love it.

Wow, that battle was intense. I was surprised at how great the art looked to show emotion and pain on the pokemon. I think when Shinji commanded Hikozaru to attack, even though the attack would have hurt Naetle was great. It just shows Shinji's character more. Then when he was done with Hikozaru and didn't command any attacks---MY GOODENESS, it was just so great. Without a character like Shinji DP just wouldn't be DP.

I've gotten used to the fact that Hikozaru will be going with Satoshi. I just really liked Shinji/ Hikozaru pair though.The only thing that worries me now is how Hikozaru will be handled since he will be with Satoshi. Although the writers have been good this season, I still worry for Hikozaru since they built it's character up so high, and I really don't want to see it's character go down hill from here. I'm crossing my fingers.

I know it was a dramatic moment when Shinji was getting rid of Hikozaru, but I couldn't help but laugh at how funnily drawn Satoshi looked when he was sad.

Almighty Zard
20th October 2007, 4:53 AM
I've gotten used to the fact that Hikozaru will be going with Shinji. I just really liked Shinji/ Hikozaru pair though.The only thing that worries me now is how Hikozaru will be handled since he will be with Satoshi. Although the writers have been good this season, I still worry for Hikozaru since they built it's character up so high, and I really don't want to see it's character go down hill from here. I'm crossing my fingers.

I don't see it going back to him if that's what your hoping for, Paul didn't exactly bond with it when he caught it in the flashback, neither did he seem to care when he released it and as he walked off he stated himself that he would go catch a better fire pokemon to replace it.

I'm certain it will be handled well under Ash's care, it's chances of becoming an infernape are pretty high and it will likely be used in the upcoming gym battle as well as the future decesive battle with Paul, and that's just a few of it's potential battles, I can't wait to see the glorious carnage it unleashes.

HoennMaster
20th October 2007, 6:47 AM
This was a great episode. Zangoose was way better in this episode then in the Hoenn episode. The Metagross/Zangoose vs. Chimchar/Turtwig battle was spectacular. Does anyone know what Paul said to Chimchar after he released him?

Medea
20th October 2007, 11:59 AM
O...M...G...

...I haven't done a review in a couple of weeks. I should get caught up with the rest of Diamond and Pearl. Oh well, onto this one!

-First, I must say that these episodes have been the most interesting I've seen from the show since the Grand Festival...And that's the truth!
-Well, thanks to taitofan...I'm now wrapped up in Kouhei and Dawn! I'm a friggin' Appealshipper and I'm caught up in this one! Oh well, that blushing scene at the beginning was so cute.
-Okay, I may have had a point last year when Drew was yelling at Absol, but between Paul and Chimchar...That was just sad as hell. You know what, I would have preferred seeing AJ and Stella use the whip than see what Paul did.
-Nice...Very original! Like we've never seen a pokemon get its arse kicked by a tougher pokemon and then trainer finds it injured. Tetsuya must be kicking himself!
-I had such a nice conversation with one of my friends last night about this episode and he nearly flipped when I told him that Paul turned his back during the battle on poor Chimchar! But then again, I was shocked (but not surprised) when seeing that!
-And one more notch on the *I FRIGGIN' HATE SHINJI/PAUL* scale, when he let Chimchar go! And now that he did that, I don't think I'm ever going to warm up to him.

Korobooshi Kojiro
20th October 2007, 12:53 PM
Charizard says hi.

Speaking of which, Charizard's flames always left Ash extra crispy, whereas Chimchar's Flamethrower had concussive force instead.

But that was used for Comedy, while this plainly wasn't.

ShinyCharyZard
20th October 2007, 1:50 PM
Great Episode, i was hoping ash would get a chimchar from the start, and now its happened....yay.

I'm certain it will be handled well under Ash's care, it's chances of becoming an infernape are pretty high and it will likely be used in the upcoming gym battle as well as the future decesive battle with Paul, and that's just a few of it's potential battles, I can't wait to see the glorious carnage it unleashes.

i actually don't want it to evolve, i like the cute lil monkey, and i think it could be pretty strong anyway...he needs a fully evolved water poke this season...

Kanto: Charizard
Johto: Bayleef (not fully evolved, but the others didnt evolve at all)
Hoenn: Sceptile

he hasn't had one yet.....oh, unless u count kingler, but thats not a starter.....there aren't many water pokemon choices this season, so i think he should get totodile back and evolve that....he never cycles the pokes he uses....it would be great!

Origamigryphon
20th October 2007, 8:11 PM
Great Episode, i was hoping ash would get a chimchar from the start, and now its happened....yay.]

It hasn't happened -yet-. The episode ends only with Ash making the offer to Chimchar to join him. It'd be nice to see Chimchar refuse, and show Ash that he can't have every pokemon he wants by asking nicely.

Almighty Zard
20th October 2007, 8:12 PM
It hasn't happened -yet-. The episode ends only with Ash making the offer to Chimchar to join him. It'd be nice to see Chimchar refuse, and show Ash that he can't have every pokemon he wants by asking nicely.

It's been confirmed it's going to happen, accept it already people.

uber gon
20th October 2007, 11:20 PM
It's been confirmed it's going to happen, accept it already people.

I've accepted it, and the fact that Shinji will probably beat that little mankey's *** hard at some point.:D

Kabuto
21st October 2007, 2:58 AM
I can already see the end of DP being Infernape beating Torterra.

Bliksem
21st October 2007, 8:44 AM
Shinji scored a few more points with me. If Hikozaru's going to disobey him, regardless of his potential, he has no use for him. It thrills me that the rest of Shinji's Pokemon follow his attitude, especially Elekid.

The Burnt Shadow
21st October 2007, 1:36 PM
Poor little guy. Just wait until you're fully evolved and then you could tear and rip every pokemon Paul has. Personally, I would enjoy seeing Chimchar evolve into an Infernape and make Paul beg for mercy. Unfortunately, those kinds of acts aren't allowed in such shows. Anywho, loved this episode. This episode showed one of the more extreme acts of those harsh trainers...

phoenix12
21st October 2007, 8:46 PM
dude...talk about dramatic...Paul turning his back on Chimchar DURING the battle because of its disobedience, leaving Ash to command both Pokemon and lead them to victory...

basically, this episode rocked (even without understanding Japanese)

DS2512
21st October 2007, 8:50 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one who thought that Paul was amazing in this episode. I know, I know, poor Chimchar, etc, yet, it makes me happy that we finally have a rival that Ash HATES, and not just a funny, annoying, nice rival, like Gary, or Richie. I was getting tired of that.

I just KNEW Paul was going to free Chimchar. Every season, Ash's group had the starters, so I was wondering why the hell this time it wasn't that way. Also, it was pretty obvious that Ash was going to let Chimchar join him after he started being ever so nice to it. What I didn't expected was Paul getting mad because Ash took him away. I thought he wouldn't care at all, but, surprise, surprise.

Oh well. Let's just wait until the league comes and Shinji gets his butt kicked by Chimchar. Yawn, so predictable.

phoenix12
21st October 2007, 9:08 PM
also, for anyone still thinking Chimchar will later return to Paul's team, this episode make it more than obvious that Chimchar does not belong with that group

during training, none of Paul's other Pokemon showed the slightest hesitation when they were told to attack Chimchar, regardless of the extreme pain it was suffering...however, during the tag battle, Chimchar deliberately went AGAINST Paul's orders to defend Turtwig, hence why Paul abandons it in the first place...not to mention how Chimchar apologizes to Ash after hitting him with flamethrower

bottom line, with Paul's approach to Pokemon training, makes perfect sense that he would release Chimchar...a Pokemon with that kind of sympathy belongs with Ash

Somorio
21st October 2007, 9:28 PM
after a little bit of thought, the idea of chimchar going with ash seems so right.

also was that zangoose the exact same one from before, they both had that demonic look...
if it was woudn't it be rather highly unrealistic.

I mean they just HAPPEN to talk about chimchar's past and they just HAPPEN to fight the same zangoose... yeah.

also yay for seviper not doing anything or even showing up.
lol

The Benmeister
21st October 2007, 10:05 PM
Dunno why I waited this long to see the episode. It's not often anything ever brings a tear to my eye, never mind an episode of Pokemon, but this was one hell of an exception.

All I can say is that Elekid is one cool mo-fo with its attitude. And firing attacks at a Pokemon that has clearly been battered in enough? Classy stuff indeed.

legendarypokemonjunkie17
21st October 2007, 11:11 PM
Sounds like Paul is aiming for a "Leona Helmsley" attitude there. I can hardly wait until it comes to the US, I actually hoped Chimchar would go to Ash and that Paul would be a bigger jerk than usual, if that was even possible. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait for a few months for it to premier here, since we're only up to the epi where Dawn captures Buizel.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how the animation was in comparison to other episodes this season?

HoennMaster
22nd October 2007, 2:03 AM
Does anyone know what Paul was saying after he released Chimchar?

Almighty Zard
22nd October 2007, 3:01 AM
Does anyone know what Paul was saying after he released Chimchar?

He did say something along the lines of getting a better fire type, probably magmortar or some old type.

dd1zzle
22nd October 2007, 11:57 AM
not suprised by that...but why doezs James' Canea hafta go to? :(

HoennMaster
22nd October 2007, 12:06 PM
What does that have to do with this episode?

shadowmon
22nd October 2007, 4:01 PM
great epi but i was thinking that shinji didn't want to released hikozaru or at least that he releades it in order that he would eventually get stronger and come back to him ... but satoshi eventually ask hikozaru to come with him which was a surprise for shinji too well at least it's what i think of this epi

uber gon
22nd October 2007, 5:09 PM
great epi but i was thinking that shinji didn't want to released hikozaru or at least that he releades it in order that he would eventually get stronger and come back to him ... but satoshi eventually ask hikozaru to come with him which was a surprise for shinji too well at least it's what i think of this epi

I'm surprised the writers had to wait THIS long to show something like this.

Shiny Linoone
22nd October 2007, 6:10 PM
Exactly.
I was shocked that Paul would actually release Chimchar... and even more suprised Ash would ask Chimchar to join him.
I figured brock would've been the one to get him, seeing as Ash already has the grass starter.

uber gon
22nd October 2007, 8:19 PM
Exactly.
I was shocked that Paul would actually release Chimchar... and even more suprised Ash would ask Chimchar to join him.
I figured brock would've been the one to get him, seeing as Ash already has the grass starter.

If Brock got it he'd just have Chimchar rot in its ball, more or less.

squirtleboy12
22nd October 2007, 9:26 PM
this was an awsome episode but i feel bad for chimchar but its cool that probobly hes going to join ash now anyways this episode was surprising with the most violence in pokemon i ever seen

Dax
22nd October 2007, 11:23 PM
This episode was even better than the last one. It had more emotion and I loved Chimchar's backstory. Paul was honestly crossing the line but that's his personality and I love him for that.

The best part was the end but the thing that I didn't like was the animation. Chimchar had a really big head and in some scenes Piplup looked weird.

I'm excited because the bird is battling in the next one.^_^

Zoramon089
23rd October 2007, 1:09 AM

No, I'm pretty sure he released it and said he'd get a stronger fire type...there'd be no point in him releasing it and somehow expecting to find it again and come back to him, that just wouldn't happen. I think Shinji's surprise was just over the fact that Satoshi too it in immediately after he released it. Even though it wasn't his, it was almost as if Satoshi was saying he could raise it better than Shinji could himself

gamefreak5034
23rd October 2007, 4:32 AM
this was by far one of the best dp eps out there right now, and im glad pokemon has finally decided to add a character like Shinji, i was seriously gettin annoyed with all the other typical rivals

uber gon
23rd October 2007, 4:35 AM
No, I'm pretty sure he released it and said he'd get a stronger fire type...there'd be no point in him releasing it and somehow expecting to find it again and come back to him, that just wouldn't happen. I think Shinji's surprise was just over the fact that Satoshi too it in immediately after he released it. Even though it wasn't his, it was almost as if Satoshi was saying he could raise it better than Shinji could himself

Frankly I'm looking forward to an actual fist fight between the two.

SOS! Its Not Healthy..
23rd October 2007, 5:13 AM
WOW, and Wow, I just was simply when I seen this episode, and it was insane, especially seeing it early in the morning.

I was simply surprised about Paul's training with Chimchar, it was like he nearly murdered it on the frustration that he trying to Chimchar to do. But that flashback with PAul's first appearance of Chimchar, I think that Flame Wheel was kick a**, now I see why he trains so hard with Chimchar. And that battle in the presemifinals, I think seeing a Zangoose, Paul was hoping for seeing Chimchar's real power which did not happen.

The real most shocker obviously when Paul gives up on Chimchar in the middle of the battle, I think his small teeny heart or dream was shattered when Chimchar chickens out and disobeys him. BUt I"m proud of Ash for stepping up and actually taking control of the battle, so far he been the one who been doing all the work. And in the end he releases, I can't wait the look of his face when Ash find its true potential he could not seek.

cassius335
23rd October 2007, 1:48 PM
Frankly I'm looking forward to an actual fist fight between the two.

Hell yeah. Let Ash go Nanoha on Shinji's backside, see how cocky he is then.

Lucario At Service
23rd October 2007, 6:10 PM
Well, can someone tell me what was the energy attack that Ursaring used on Chimchar (before using Hammer Arm). Was it Focus Blast or some other attack.

And also, why didn't Paul use Weavile when he was training Chimchar, did he release Weavile.

Almighty Zard
23rd October 2007, 6:18 PM
Well, can someone tell me what was the energy attack that Ursaring used on Chimchar (before using Hammer Arm). Was it Focus Blast or some other attack.

I believe it was.

And also, why didn't Paul use Weavile when he was training Chimchar, did he release Weavile.

Probably because Ice isn't good against fire.

uber gon
23rd October 2007, 6:21 PM

Maybe it's because Weavile is weak against Chimchar.

Anyway, anybody notice that FOCUS BLAST was portrayed similarly to AURA SPHERE?

Pika Hikari KT
23rd October 2007, 10:07 PM
Anyway, anybody notice that FOCUS BLAST was portrayed similarly to AURA SPHERE?
Focus Blast is to Final Flash as Aura Sphere is to Kamehameha?

And one more notch on the *I FRIGGIN' HATE SHINJI/PAUL* scale, when he let Chimchar go! And now that he did that, I don't think I'm ever going to warm up to him.

Well, he's being a damn good heel then. Now to decide what he's gonna pick up to replace Chimchar...^^;

Geodude
23rd October 2007, 11:46 PM
That was the second time this question has been asked. Please read the thread before asking questions, especially when the episode has been out for several days already and your question is likely to have already been asked.

Mime Jr
23rd October 2007, 11:52 PM
Calm down Geodude. -_-

Anyways, I think once Ash starts to train Chimchar and it starts to get stronger then Paul is gonna want it back. Especially if Chimchar evolves.

By the way I love this episode so much. Its probably in my top 10 favorite Pokemon episodes.

Almighty Zard
24th October 2007, 12:41 AM
Anyways, I think once Ash starts to train Chimchar and it starts to get stronger then Paul is gonna want it back. Especially if Chimchar evolves.

Paul said himself he'd get a better fire type(likely magmortar or one of it's earlier forms) to replace it after he let it go so I don't think he cares anymore about Chimchar's potential.

Just accept the fact Ash is going to keep it already.

uber gon
24th October 2007, 12:49 AM
Focus Blast is to Final Flash as Aura Sphere is to Kamehameha?

Well, he's being a damn good heel then. Now to decide what he's gonna pick up to replace Chimchar...^^;

Um, what's Final Flash?

Anyway, I meant they're similar by body movement.

HoennMaster
24th October 2007, 1:39 AM
It is an attack from Dragonball Z.

uber gon
24th October 2007, 4:45 AM
It is an attack from Dragonball Z.

Oh, right.

Anyway, anyone disappointed by FOCUS BLAST's portrayal?

cassius335
24th October 2007, 11:57 AM
Every time you type attack names in capitals it disappoints me greatly...

...That wasn't what you meant, was it?

uber gon
24th October 2007, 4:23 PM
Every time you type attack names in capitals it disappoints me greatly...

...That wasn't what you meant, was it?

Meh, I was just doing things like the games.

Anyway, I always thought Focus Blast would look more like the Rasengan (preferably the 3rd movie version).

Dark Cacturne
26th October 2007, 1:56 PM
That was a sweet battle! :D

uber gon
29th October 2007, 7:00 AM
Meh, I was hoping Torterra's Leaf Storm would've looked stronger.

Crask
29th November 2007, 11:51 PM
What was the pokemon being zapped by Pachirisu in this ep? I can't quite figure it out.

Durden
30th November 2007, 10:50 PM
What was the pokemon being zapped by Pachirisu in this ep? I can't quite figure it out.

Snubbul actually.

uber gon
1st December 2007, 10:38 AM
Snubbul actually.

Yeah, Pachirisu used Discharge. Also, her partner used an Aggron.

WaterDragon trainer
2nd February 2008, 2:05 AM
This episode was good. It was cool to see Focus Blast. I felt so bad for Chimchar. “Wake it up with Thunder.” I really thought that was unnecessary. It was cool to see Bullet Punch and Magnet Rise. Paul was so cruel in this episode, especially when he released Chimchar. My opinion on his attitude is so negative, there are some words I most likely can’t say here.

WaterKrystal
2nd February 2008, 2:20 AM
^ I agree with the "wake it up with thunder", that was horrible.
--
Ooooo, Holly's getting jealous. Wow, Conway's kinda cute without his glasses on. Aw, Chimchar is soo cute, and caring...he went to see if Ash was ok. I like Paul, but right now I just wanna wring his little his neck out, even TR kinda feels sorry for Chimchar. Go Ash!, get Chimchar out of there, I almost felt like crying with the rough way he was being treated. You know if this was the first time I saw Paul, in the flashbacks of how he met Chimchar, when he ran after him, I would have thought he cared. Now go Nurse Joy, tell it to him straight.

Ok, this is off topic, but I was watching Fried Dynamites "Animal Idol", and I just thought that if Paul needed another job, he could take over Simon's job if they ever had Pokemon Idol.

Back to Pokemon, dang that Zangoose's face is disturbing even to me, no wonder Chimchar got scared, I would too. I can't believe that Paul turned his back on him,
That's what Paul gets for leaving Chimchar, his face was priceless whenn Ash asked him to join him. It usually takes alot for me to get teary eyed over something, but this episode got to me.

8/10

THE ONE THE ONLY...AIPOM
2nd February 2008, 10:30 PM
I agree with the Zangoose thing,I wanted to put my face in my hands after seeing that scary face. First I thought Paul was helping Chimchar when he said thats what it wanted, I thought he cared what it wanted,but after he turned his back I lost all hope.

MidnightTheMightyena
2nd February 2008, 11:05 PM
Zangoose looked wicked in this episode! It had the coolest expressions ever. Otherwise the whole Chimchar thing was really sad, it was a little much for cartoon standards, but none the less a great episode. Holly and Conway were really cool^^

ipazuty55
2nd February 2008, 11:18 PM
Im a 100 percent sure that chimchar is going to evolve to Infernape. Almost the exact same thing is happening like with charmander. Both were abandoned by trainers and both i predict will follow in the same footsteps. I can see chimchar evolving and not listining to ash and monferno evolve because of some huge oppenent and Infernape never does anything ash says until he gains respect.

Dax
3rd February 2008, 1:02 AM
Which will lead to Ash losing the league because Infernape doesn't obey him? That again?o_O

Walcott
3rd February 2008, 1:29 AM
This is my favorite season of Pokemon so far, mostly because of the information about how Chimchar and Pual met and also how things happened between them. But I felt so bad for Chimchar, by Pual just leaving it there for Ash to order. I'm so happy that Chimchar is Ash's now!!

Medea
3rd February 2008, 10:49 AM
A few things I have to go forth on saying...

-Was I watching Pokemon or was I watching Roots? When I was watching Paul "train" with Chimchar, I was really waiting for Chimchar to say "My name is Kunta Kinte!" And you know what happens after that!
-Dawn blushing...Okay, not as big to me now. Only when I watch the Japanese version.
-Nice to see all of the random game characters in this competition. I see a Karate guy, Psychic (it even said Psychic in the closed captioning), Biker (I think), Lass (I'm pretty sure), and of course my favorite...The Pokemaniac/Nerd Conway! Yay!

ShadowDragon16
3rd February 2008, 3:09 PM
Snubbul actually.

No, it was Granbull, snubble airn't that big.

Rebeccag
3rd February 2008, 4:44 PM
rofl at brock with nurse joy and holly getting jealous. Also Dawn getting confused at conways battle skills lol. LOL at Conway saying Ash is the enemy maybe a little pearl shipping hint me thinks. Aww chimchar running to see if ash was ok and meouth going why doesnt that guy lighten up and piplup pointing at paul in anger that was funny, im gonna smack elekid its so cocky and annoying! poor chimchar
Ouch wake it up with thunder that was so cruel poor chimchar then at the end when he let chimchar go. Also when Ash commanded Chimchar that was just so cool Paul just didnt anything and ash had to just jump in and command chimchar

lightdash
3rd February 2008, 11:01 PM
Excellent dub episode overall. With it, I understand more of Paul's story than I did with the original version. Paul ends up releasing Chimchar after all of that hard work...sad indeed. The tag battle characters were pretty awesome too, haha, comical events. :)

RJF
5th February 2008, 2:27 AM
Could someone explain to me why Paul ordered a direct attack on Turtwig? Was there some kind of tactical reason that I missed that ultimately led them to victory, or was it merely to cement the fact that Paul is a douche and he thought Turtwig was getting in the way?

And speaking of Turtwig, the animators really outdid themselves here. Finally, we see a Grass-type sustain remotely realistic-looking injuries from a fire attack. The little guy really looked ready to drop at the end of the battle. Especially when it stands up when Chimchar is holding back the Fire Blast.

uber gon
5th February 2008, 2:39 AM
Im a 100 percent sure that chimchar is going to evolve to Infernape. Almost the exact same thing is happening like with charmander. Both were abandoned by trainers and both i predict will follow in the same footsteps. I can see chimchar evolving and not listining to ash and monferno evolve because of some huge oppenent and Infernape never does anything ash says until he gains respect.

NONE of us want to see THAT again.

absoluteSoul
5th February 2008, 7:45 AM

NONE of us want to see THAT again.

>_> I agree.

Anyways, that episode was great. I'm still irked over the fact that the local channel decided to cut some bits and pieces of the episode (damn it, Toasted TV! Damn, you make me wish I have cable), but it's good that they kept the important scenes.

Man, I really like Paul but... He was a total douche the whole episode. I know he wants to make Chimchar stronger, but putting the poor monkey through so much stress is just too much. Then releasing it by the end of the episode. I'm slightly glad that he did release it because I don't think it's going to last long under Paul's rough training regime. But I'm really happy with Ash right now. Instead of being furious at Paul and shouting at him, he decided that he wanted Chimchar to come along with him... He really handled the situation maturely, IMO. (*sniff* I cried during that scene and my mom was "o_O What are you watching?")

uber gon
5th February 2008, 7:56 PM
>_> I agree.

Anyways, that episode was great. I'm still irked over the fact that the local channel decided to cut some bits and pieces of the episode (damn it, Toasted TV! Damn, you make me wish I have cable), but it's good that they kept the important scenes.

Man, I really like Paul but... He was a total douche the whole episode. I know he wants to make Chimchar stronger, but putting the poor monkey through so much stress is just too much. Then releasing it by the end of the episode. I'm slightly glad that he did release it because I don't think it's going to last long under Paul's rough training regime. But I'm really happy with Ash right now. Instead of being furious at Paul and shouting at him, he decided that he wanted Chimchar to come along with him... He really handled the situation maturely, IMO. (*sniff* I cried during that scene and my mom was "o_O What are you watching?")

Meh, the writers however may NOT have Chimchar give a little "payback" to Paul, though.:(

neo_senku
6th February 2008, 6:21 PM
small thought, did ursaring seem a too eager to blast chimchar with focus blast

Cobalt_Latios
8th February 2008, 1:51 AM
>_> I agree.

Something tells me that C_W is going to be going with this from now on (toasted TV). I may as well go with C_P. Not only did they get the episodes relatively on time, but it was from Cartoon Network. Now I'll have to rewatch this episode again on the other source (thankfully I got it just in case...).

Wow, now this is really something else. I really got to see the way Paul acted towards things, and I really understand the guy more (although, this doesn't make me like him more). What he was trying to do with Chimchar was really something that even ticked off Dawn, considering it wasn't even her partner, not to mention none of her business (I mean that in context, not as an insult).

Also, a showcase of MANY unseen attacks: Focus Blast, Magnet Rise, Bullet Punch, X-Scissor (well I think it was X-Scissor). Basically they showcased tons of very new attacks.

What made me laugh and sort of was "comic relief", was when Holly said this: "I'm just so impressed with Brock. At first I thought he was just flirting with Nurse Joy, but boy was I wrong." Now, what part of that is simply just pure irony? lol!!!

Getting the backstory on Chimchar was particularly interesting, as now I know what's driving Paul.

VA notice: the guy with the Zangoose sounded like Prof. Oak, and therefore was probably Jimmy Zoppi. I'm getting better at this so I think it was him.

Also, for those that have played ToS: doesn't that guy with the Metagross look an awful lot like Kratos? I mean, the cape and the hair are of the right color and shape, so I sure seems like it.

Then, the one scene that basically said: Chimchar, you belong to me now, with Ash giving Chimchar the commands. From that point on, you pretty much know where it's going.

Although, I was hoping Ash would have told Turtwig to use Synthesis. Then again, knowing how Paul works, Ash would've probably got majorly beaten anyways.

And now for my response on the final section of this arc.

~C_L~

wobbanut
28th August 2008, 2:17 AM
Nice to see the flashback to why Paul caught chimchar if he's so harsh towards it. Too bad that Paul couldn't appreciate Chimchar for the fighter it was. At least he ended up giving it up at the end of this episode. I feel so bad for Chimchar at the end, but at least there's a happy ending.

I also like the Brock/Holly subplot going on through this episode. It made me chuckle when she said that Brock's expertise was like having another Nurse Joy around. LOL

Torpoleon
5th October 2008, 2:49 PM
How could Paul be so Selfish?!?But Chimchar is in good hands now!

DanChimchar
6th October 2008, 10:23 PM
I really hate Paul how could he treat should a nice Chimchar and a cute one so meanly. But I'm so so so let me repeat SO Happy Chimchar is with ash and is in better hands now

Torpoleon
6th October 2008, 10:30 PM
Even though Chimchar wanted this Paul took it to a whole other level.

DanChimchar
13th October 2008, 1:24 AM
Yeah
It really showed Chimchar which I loved I hated the scar on chimchars face I was liek so scaried for it and was like Please not make the peremanet
Got to love the holly and brock moments lol

HoennMaster
13th October 2008, 7:20 AM
What's so wrong about a permanent scar? It makes them look more distinctive.

DanChimchar
13th October 2008, 3:04 PM
Good Point but I just didn't like it if they ahd kept it on I may have gotten use to it

HoennMaster
14th October 2008, 6:37 AM
Again...what's so wrong with it....so you get used to it, I'm not seeing the point.

Shiny qwilfish of doom
14th November 2008, 8:36 AM
im happy chimchar is in good hands now,paul was really selfish in doing that.

octoboy
26th November 2008, 6:03 AM
What worries me is the feeling that this is a good start to a lame ending. I've said it before, I'll say it again, pokemon has a tendency to start the story wonderfully, then crap out towards the end. Especially with sceptile's plot.

It would be all to easy for Ash to evolve chimchar, and have it either outspeed torterra, or defeat it with pure force of emotions (anger towards Paul or love towards Ash). That wouldn't be such a pain if pokemon didn't always do that sort of thing. Pikachu's outsped loads of big guys, and it's got its fair share of "I'll win just because my trainer loves me, and I love him, so I have this unbelievable power out of nowhere". The last thing I want to see is that commonly used victory as an end to this great beginning.

Though unlike sceptile's case, I can't think of a lot of better things to do for the pokemon. I think that's where the anime set itself for disaster. With all the cheap wins before, it's hard to think of a good way to win. The only way besides the aforementioned cheap victories is use of strategy, which was more Paul's style.

So, it looks like the show just might have screwed itself.

*cough* Yes, this episode itself was great. Those zangoose were scary! Also, chimchar' preformance was good. My favourite part was its covering its eyes in fear of the attacking zangoose. These cute, monkeyish antics are exactly why chimchar's my favourite Sinnoh starter.

Oh, and what was with Paul's wanting to find a new fire type? I just wanted to tell him, "Dude, this is Sinnoh, yannow, the cold region! What other fire types are you going to get?" every time he said that.

Oh, and glad to see someone finally took a liking to Brock. It's probably going to easily fall flat though.

TurtwigFan1
10th December 2008, 7:22 PM
Great episode, Chimchar was adorable and PAUL IS EVIL!

Igottapoo
6th January 2009, 9:38 AM
I'm glad Chimchar is now with Ash. Paul is pretty dumb. Chimchar is awesome :x

(s.i.e)
11th March 2009, 11:11 AM
that paul guy is quite the prick, i'm glad chimchar joined ash's team.

Littlemyuu
27th April 2009, 4:08 PM
Im so glad that Chimchar join Ash's team..Paul was so mean to the poor monkey

milenadrg
13th June 2009, 4:11 PM
Battle where Chimchar and Turtwig were defeatet Zangoose and Metagross was great! I really like the episode. Paul releasing poor Chimmy was sad... :(

cloudk
24th June 2009, 4:44 PM
Pretty cool "Tiny vs Big" pokemon tag battle right there. Glad to see Chimmy wanting to join Ash.

Shadow XD001
6th July 2009, 1:21 PM
It was cool when Ash told Chimchar to use Flame Thrower. Good thing Chimchar joined Ash.

S.Suikun
9th July 2009, 1:56 AM
Now this arc is on fire. Literally. After this speculative build-up with Shinji and Hikozaru that began with DP003, it all comes into fruition here. It's great to see some further insight into Shinji's training methods, as well as Hikozaru's general past. The battle against Zangoose makes for the perfect tipping point, being not only a culmination of Hikozaru's fear, but is a great battle in general. Some have mentioned how violent this episode was, and I have to agree. The writers did a great job of showing the sheer brutality that Hikozaru has put up with, which is probably more than they have done with any of the gang's previous Pokemon.

Kouhei and Honoka continue to be enjoyable characters, even if they take a slight backseat here to the Shinji stuff. As with the previous episode, I liked seeing the NPC trainer designs used here (though is it me, or has Metagross become a real pushover in this series as a general rule?). Of course, the highlight is the ending, in which we see the abandonment at last, proving just how heartless Shinji is even in light of a victory. It's why I enjoy his character so much - He's the most humorless and non-caring poker face in the entire Pokemon universe. Too bad it took an entire decade to get somebody like him in the series.

A-

vipsoccermaster
16th July 2009, 6:04 PM
This was a good episode, and I'm glad that Chimchar joined with Ash. Paul releasing may be sad, but he didn't really care.

STICKTOPIA
19th September 2009, 2:33 AM
I'm glad Paul released it.

Surfer_Dude
27th September 2009, 7:15 AM
This episode has such an awesome name. (Glory blaze)
Awesome episode. It was really cool to look back to chimchar's past

Surfer_Dude
27th September 2009, 7:19 AM
Also im glad that paul released it and that ash got it. All he needs now is a piplup...

Ash-kid
17th December 2009, 2:45 PM
Chimchar's story was very sad....

And Paul was so evil, he wanted to hurt Chimchar.

6/10

STICKTOPIA
27th December 2009, 2:16 AM
He didn't want to hurt it he just wanted to activate blaze.

Lorde
6th January 2010, 7:48 AM
Paul wanting to witness Chimchar's Blaze again was kinda sick in a weird way. But he likes to use his Pokemon so it's not too surprising; just sort of interesting to take note of. I was glad he released Chimchar in the end though. But why did they show him with it in the first place? Why not give it to Ash from the beginning instead of waiting almost a year? I guess the writers love to make fans angry sometimes with their overcomplicated storylines. Glad Ash got it instead though. At least that was something new and exciting. 7/10.

KGB13
7th March 2010, 11:21 AM
Paul is way too hard on his pokemon and Chimchar is way too timid and emotionally scarred to be with a trainer like that. I know Ash will do a better job raising it and bringing out it's full potential.

wind21
7th July 2010, 11:45 PM
Okay, part 2 of the Tag Battle arc showcases Paul at his very worst. So let me see...Well, first of all, I think this episode is an example of the writers having to make an adjustment in the story so that things flow. One thing we saw last episode during Elekid's and Pikachu's interaction is that Paul cannot be a completely cruel trainer: Elekid is naughty and a bit of a bully, but it is not unhappy. So the writers have to create something to develop the tension b/w Ash and Paul, and this is where Chimchar's Blaze comes in. I don't think the writers had this in mind to begin with, b/c Blaze kicked in for Chimchar during Paul's battle against Roark, and it looked perfectly normal. Well, we just have to make an allowance here.

Blaze creates a unique training problem for Paul. Normally, Paul keeps only the strongest pokemon he catches. They are a sure thing for Paul b/c their base abilities are superior to the average pokemon of that type. On this criteria, Chimchar fails, I think; Chimchar's base abilities are nothing special. But the enticing thing for Paul is Blaze; if he can figure out how to make Blaze work, then Chimchar becomes an unbelievably powerful pokemon. But that puts Chimchar in plenty of danger as well, due to the nature of how Blaze activates. And unlike Paul's other pokemon, Chimchar does not have the security of being superior based on its normal abilities; it either masters Blaze or it is worthless. What Chimchar actually thinks about that, I'm not sure. It's certainly aware of Paul's opinion about Blaze, but it also takes the time to improve its base abilities as well. It's happy when it wins, and it enjoys Ash's compliments on how it has improved, as seen last episode. Maybe in the back of its mind, it thinks that by working hard enough, Paul will come to accept its power just based on the hard work it has put into improving, and that is why it accepts Paul's training regimen. If Paul's intent in training is to master Blaze, Chimchar's intent is to simply improve, and it is able to do that for awhile.

Things start to get out of hand, though, as Paul becomes increasingly impatient with the absence of Chimchar's Blaze during a night training session before the Tag Battle 2nd round. He pushes Chimchar harder and harder, and even cruelly tells Elekid to awaken an unable to battle Chimchar with thunder; fortunately the attack is taken by Pikachu, encased in a volt tackle (Pikachu looks amazing). Ash and Dawn take Chimchar to the Pokemon center, where Nurse Joy takes care of it and requests Paul not to use Chimchar in the battle tomorrow.

But....Paul uses Chimchar anyway, while Ash goes with Turtwig. And...Ash consents to Chimchar's use after Chimchar affirms it wants to battle. I think the situation is very interesting, and it's Ash on the dot; he trusts and respects what pokemon tell him, even if it isn't the most logical or wise decision. Paul and Ash are up against a Metagross and Zangoose, and the battle again takes on a league atmosphere, reaching a pt where Turtwig uses Bite on Zangoose to protect Chimchar. Paul, in response, orders Chimchar to use Flame Wheel on Turtwig and Zangoose, and Chimchar carries out the attack, scoring a brutal hit on Turtwig (the grass type looks even more beat up than when it took Rampardos' Head Smash) and hits on Zangoose and Metagross; this just elevates the tension of the battle to another level, but fortunately Ash keeps his cool. Once Zangoose gains the upper hand on Chimchar, Paul is ready to concede the battle, saying that this is it (Chimchar is terrified due to the whole Zangoose exp that activated Blaze for the first time way back; Paul was hoping that Zangoose would activate Blaze again due to the memory effect, but instead Chimchar's fears come out). Ash implores/orders Turtwig to help Chimchar out, and it does so, although it falls down in pain/exhaustion after knocking Zangoose off Chimchar. Zangoose unleashes a fire blast on a defenseless Turtwig, but Chimchar jumps in and holds it off, gaining a fire boost as well. Chimchar waits for Paul to give it an order, only to realize one is not coming. Paul has determined Blaze is impossible for him to use, and a powered up flamethrower is not going to get him excited; he's done with Chimchar. Well, hold on a second! Last episode, it looked like Paul was looking for powered up flamethrower, not Blaze...Let's see. I'll say the lack of effectiveness of the powered up flamethrower last episode convinced Paul that it was not going to be good enough and made him more obsessed with Blaze, leading into the events at the beginning of this episode. Okay, back to the battle, Ash is the one to give the command to Chimchar (I think this is Dawn's first "Ash knows what's he doing. Do it Ash!" cheer while everybody else is shocked that Ash is ordering Chimchar), and the flamethrower knocks out Metagross. Turtwig then defeats Zangoose.

It's a little bit funny to say that I think this is Turtwig's finest moment in battle (the whole thing) considering it wins with a Tackle.

At the end in a heartwarming scene, Paul releases Chimchar, and as it sadly heads toward the forest while Paul heads stoically the other way, Ash asks Chimchar to come with him. It's an amazing scene, as Paul stops in his tracks with a surprised look-shared by Dawn and Brock, and Ash smiling looks at Chimchar with his hand held out. This scene was a question of not if it was going to happen, but how it was going to happen, and wow, the writers made it a special moment.

saar
9th July 2010, 12:33 PM
Good battle. It was full of tactic and strategy.
Those two guys were strong, I'm happy two small starters like Turtwig and Chimchar have managed to defeat them.:)

Lance The Champ
2nd December 2010, 12:54 PM
One of the best episode in diamond and pearl.... I think Paul did the right thing to release Chimchar... They could not have gotten along well in the future. Thats Paul thinking ahead

RocketTwurpSLR
20th March 2011, 10:04 PM
OMG, no one has mensoined it yet...

i mustve seen this in another way, other then chimchar getting "abused" you have to look it in Pauls p.o.v

i know in the previous episode that Ash used the counter shield with pikachu
against the surf attack (...was it rhydon who done it?)

i think Paul was inspired by it and was trying the CSstratergy with chimchar
but as he was about to... as he told all his pokemon to use all the moves....

the camera angle moved to Ash, making it look like he was gonna hit chimchar with all the moves, i think the writers made us belive that he was abusing chimchar, but was actualy secretly training chimchar.

after he did that he got a little sarcastic about it.

but i have proof aswell, in familurity breeds stratergy he uses the counter shild it with his gastrodon.

G50
27th April 2011, 12:27 PM
This episode was good and so sad... It was interesting to learn how Paul met Chimchar and how why he chose to keep Chimchar originally. It was a bit ironic how in the next battle, Chimchar had to deal with another Zangoose which in this battle it was so terrified. It was horrible to see how badly Paul treated Chimchar. He ends up releasing him with harsh words. It was cool to see Ash reach out to Chimchar in the end. This episode basically showed the Pokemon version of Child Abuse. It was so sad to see...

100/100

TheEpicGoomba
7th May 2011, 4:01 PM
This episode was awsome. I liked the battle and I was glad Ash got Chimchar. Paul is a bit of a douche bag.10/10

Caseydia
20th April 2012, 6:28 PM
This episode screamed POKEMON ABUSE.

I liked the episode though.

Pros:

-Paul makes everything just wonderful.
-The guy with the red hair and cape was hott. But bad voice actor. Sounded like my old neighbor from down the street.
-Chimchar getting focus.
-Ash showing his compassion as always.
-Nice story line.

Cons:

-Conway just loves to hear himself doesn't he?
-Watching Chimchar all stratched up and brused.
-Paul sounded more older in this episode for some reason.

VideoGamer54321
31st January 2013, 11:39 PM
This was a very good episode. However, I felt so bad for Chimchar. I couldn't believe how Paul treated it. And the fact that he released it at the end, it was very sad. I'm very happy that Ash got Chimchar, though.

10/10

Sorren&Rocko
13th February 2013, 2:22 PM
Sorren: Poor... Chimchar... But don't worry, now it's Ash's and evolved into Infernape. This also refers to Charmander and Tepig's old trainers: Damien and Shamus. Man... That reminds me, I want to battle with Shamus and Elite Four Flint, but Rocko says, "In Your Dreams!" hahahahaha!

zhixun
13th May 2014, 9:23 PM
Recently watch this episode again and I like Shinji's crazy character. That Hikozaru used Flame Wheel deliberately on Naetle is very unusual. We need some character that is very special, so Shinji is definitely one of my favourite in Sinnoh.

Satoshi's love and care is certainly important but I think that Shinji's vigorous training is good to see which reflects my running career. If you do not work hard and sustain the pain then you will never get paid off from training. This type of training brought my 1 mile time in 5 minutes and 5000m time within 17 minutes.