PDA

View Full Version : Serebii.net Update: Wednesday: Game Mechanics

SerebiiBot
14th November 2007, 9:20 PM
Serebii.net has just updated with this:

- 14-11-2007- 19:35 GMT / 14:35 EST - Serebii There's still very little to update with, lets just hope something unexpected shows up soon...
The WiFi Battling & Trading Chatroom is booming so now its even easier to find people in ...

More... (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml)

wants_latios_lots
14th November 2007, 9:55 PM
Cool, expect that stockpile is still stupid.
4 Returns>full stockpile.
Good to know, though.

QuailMan
14th November 2007, 10:07 PM
What exactly was updated in the tiers? I couldn't find any change from what it was before. Did he change "OU" to "Standard/OU," or was it like that before? I like the info on stockpile, though.

^For total damage, yes, but what if you were against a pokemon that kept using rest? If you use 4 returns, then you're giving the other pokemon two chances to rest, but if you use spit up, then you get a lot of damage at once, so they can't heal in between.

Hey Micky!
14th November 2007, 10:12 PM
What exactly was updated in the tiers? I couldn't find any change from what it was before. Did he change "OU" to "Standard/OU," or was it like that before? I like the info on stockpile, though.
The only notable change was Manaphy to Ubers (although yes, I changed "Standard" to "Standard/OU"). It was a miniscule change, I'm surprised Joe put it in the update.

wants_latios_lots
14th November 2007, 10:23 PM
^For total damage, yes, but what if you were against a pokemon that kept using rest? If you use 4 returns, then you're giving the other pokemon two chances to rest, but if you use spit up, then you get a lot of damage at once, so they can't heal in between.
Oh. That's a good idea.
I guess the temporary-cosmic power it gives the pokemon doesn't hurt either.

Serebii
14th November 2007, 10:30 PM
The only notable change was Manaphy to Ubers (although yes, I changed "Standard" to "Standard/OU"). It was a miniscule change, I'm surprised Joe put it in the update.
I'm lacking update material...if people in the staff room didnt give me the Stockpile idea, I would have just had the tier page

Plus people keep saying "You should have a page detailling the tiers" so its a reminder that we have one

umbreloom
14th November 2007, 10:36 PM
how about you make the PMD2 pokedex or update the old one?

Shineenigma
15th November 2007, 12:01 AM
You lose all of stockpiled effects including def boosts after using Spit Up or Swallow. Make sure to put that in there.

Both moves are terriable. Stockpile isn't bad thanks to the def boosts, but it is capped at 3. Spit up isn't viable. If a pokemon shows Spit Up in a battle then they become laughably easy to predict, so the move becomes nearly useless. If a ghost switches in, it can't be used and all stockpilled effects will be lost upon switching.

Swallow is even worse. It does in 3 turns what Recover does in 1. When you use it you also lose the def boosts from Stockpile. Don't delude the readers into thinking that a Stockpile moveset is even close to usable.

QuailMan
15th November 2007, 12:33 AM
how about you make the PMD2 pokedex or update the old one?

Uh, remember that he keeps mentioning the "massive pokedex addition" that he's working on in the updates? Call it a hunch, but there might be a connection there.

Both moves are terriable. Stockpile isn't bad thanks to the def boosts, but it is capped at 3. Spit up isn't viable. If a pokemon shows Spit Up in a battle then they become laughably easy to predict, so the move becomes nearly useless. If a ghost switches in, it can't be used and all stockpilled effects will be lost upon switching.

Well, If you have STAB and 3 Stockpiles, one Spit up should probably be a OHKO (barring protect, resistances, or stat changes). Also, a Stockpile/Swallow/Spit up pokemon can carry another attack to counter a ghost switch-in.

SHUCKLE MAN
15th November 2007, 7:43 PM
Deoxys-E probably will be downgraded to Standard in a couple of weeks in some Pokemon communities, so when he does, he should maybe be changed there too.

Hey Micky!
15th November 2007, 8:08 PM
Deoxys-E probably will be downgraded to Standard in a couple of weeks in some Pokemon communities, so when he does, he should maybe be changed there too.
Mm, I generally look at Smogon and Shoddybattle for a general consensus on these types of things, so I'll wait to see if they embrace that change, and if they do I'll update the tiers list.

SHUCKLE MAN
15th November 2007, 11:09 PM
Mm, I generally look at Smogon and Shoddybattle for a general consensus on these types of things, so I'll wait to see if they embrace that change, and if they do I'll update the tiers list.

Well, they're holding that Deoxys-E cup on Shoddy in order to test him in OU. They're only on Round 1, so it could take a while to get to the finals, and then for them to make the final decision, but I've been speaking to some of the participants, and they seem to welcome Deoxys-E into OU. I've only spoken to a small sample though.

I think people will also welcome him, because he'll increase Choice Scarf usage, therefore making DP battling more defensively orientated. As we all know, many competitive battlers are slightly disappointed as to how offensive it is at the moment.

I guess it is best to wait though. As the tournament goes on, people may discover a way to make Deoxys-E the dominating thing we all don't want him to be.