PDA

View Full Version : Arcanine: Cat or Dog.

??????
8th December 2007, 1:19 AM
My usertitle got me thinking.... Is Arcanine a cat or dog?

I believe it is a mixture.

Krug
8th December 2007, 1:24 AM
It's a dog, what makes you think it's a cat? The stripes? Look at the face.

markomega
8th December 2007, 1:26 AM
Ar- CANINE
aka dog

EDIT:also Growlithes classification in the dex is puppy pokemon.

munchlaxboy
8th December 2007, 1:29 AM
Ar- CANINE
aka dog

Exactly. It's name even has canine in it. Obviously a dog.

??????
8th December 2007, 1:35 AM
Mane and stripes make Arcanine have a catlike appearance.

Krug
8th December 2007, 1:36 AM
Yes, but what sort of cat has canine in it's name?

PDL
8th December 2007, 1:38 AM

There are a few speices of canines that have manes. Notebly the Maned Wolf.

Aside from the tiger-like stripes, it's more canine then anything.

Anaya
It's a dog duh. It doesn't even look like a cat.

SlipKnoT
It's a dog.

The end.

>.>

Gravy
8th December 2007, 1:39 AM
It's a mixture of both, seeing as it's obviously based on the Shiisaa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiisaa).

Kreis
8th December 2007, 1:40 AM
Arcanine
I think that pretty much proves that it is a canine related Pokemon, and not a cat. I really can't explain it any further, it should be obvious.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I think.

-Xu-
8th December 2007, 1:47 AM
It has lots of canine features but it does have some lion like features and patterning of a tiger.

InfernapeIZCool
8th December 2007, 3:19 AM
note the snout

buneary dude
8th December 2007, 3:24 AM
Cat? Obviously don't listen to the name well enough arCANINE= dog. :P

Hydro King
8th December 2007, 3:52 AM
There's no reason in even polling this.
A canine is a dog, duh. At least I thought that's what a canine was...>_<

Dramatic Melody
8th December 2007, 3:56 AM
^
Yes. Canines = dogs. Felines = cats.

Arcanine is a dog. Growlithe is a puppy, there's no reason for it to evolve into a cat. Sure it has cat-like features, but it's classification will still be of the canine family.

MidnightTheMightyena
8th December 2007, 3:58 AM
I think it's a dog, in the end, though it has tiger stripes it has too many dog features to be considered both. ;262;

Draknir
8th December 2007, 3:59 AM
ArCANINE, so it has to be a dog.

Eclipse
8th December 2007, 7:57 AM
It's a big dog with tiger stripes.

minakichan
8th December 2007, 8:55 AM
It should be inherently obvious to the casual observer that Arfeline is a cat.

Actually, there are no animals in the Pokemon world. It's a Pokemon!

Frozir
8th December 2007, 10:50 AM
It sure is a dog. "Cat or dog" is more like a topic for the legendary beasts.

Btw who voted for human?? o.0

Affirmative
8th December 2007, 5:28 PM
I think it was supposed to be a dog, hence the "canine".

Ro-ohs
8th December 2007, 5:29 PM
Definitely a cat. It's name implies so.

The Great Almighty Poo
9th December 2007, 12:25 AM
For me i think its 85% dog and 15% cat so its a mixture.

Cat
It has a large mane more like a lion than a wolf/dog.
Its colors and pattern look rather like a tiger's. (Stripes and orange/red fur)
Its almost as graceful like a cat.

Dog
It has a snout
Its stance is doglike.
The tail.
Its overall appearance is doggyish.
The name.

Pokemanyak
9th December 2007, 12:26 AM
What?A cat? How can a puppy(growlithe) evolves into a cat??

Blazios
9th December 2007, 12:30 AM
As other people said, it's called Arcanine. Arcanine. Not Arcat or Artiger. Arcanine.

Gravy
9th December 2007, 12:34 AM
People need to stop taking the english names for the pokémon as gospel. So what if it's named Arcanine? It's japanese name, Windie, doesn't imply any species at all.
Just like how Sandshrew, the pokémon blatantly based on a bizarre pangolin/armadillo mix, isn't a shrew.

Hydro King
9th December 2007, 12:43 AM
^Yes, Sandshrew is a shew.
Also Arcanine looks nothing like a cat.
edit: Which two people voted for human?

Super Gullwing
9th December 2007, 12:44 AM
Arcanine is odviously a dog. I don't know why people would think it's a cat...
I heard a lot of people calling it a lion on other forums.

Gravy
9th December 2007, 12:55 AM
^Yes, Sandshrew is a shew.

So you honestly expect me to believe that Sandshrew doesn't behave in a similar fashion to, or resemble this creature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin) in the slightest?

KetchupO
9th December 2007, 10:38 AM
People need to stop taking the english names for the pokémon as gospel. So what if it's named Arcanine? It's japanese name, Windie, doesn't imply any species at all.
Just like how Sandshrew, the pokémon blatantly based on a bizarre pangolin/armadillo mix, isn't a shrew.

So true :)
Names mean nothing.

Anyway, I believe it's based on some sort of legendary lion. So IMO its cat, but that's only cuz I like cats ^^ So it might also be mixed.

~Spacial_Rendation~
9th December 2007, 11:30 AM
Like somebody said. It is 85% dog 15% cat.

Clash
9th December 2007, 11:33 AM
Well it evolves from Growlithe. From my knowledge dogs growl and cats purr. Plus Growlithe has no resembelance of a cat. Arcanine is a dog, hence the word 'canine' in its name.

Definitely a cat. It's name implies so.

Rofl.

The Great Almighty Poo
9th December 2007, 1:50 PM
I did a little research and found that Arcanine is based on a chinise mythical creature called a Shisa. A Shisa is a cross between a dog and a lion.

So there you go, Arcanine is a mixture.

-Dragon-
9th December 2007, 2:12 PM
ArCANINE mean anything to you?

NotChip
9th December 2007, 2:18 PM
I think its a mixture of a Human and a Dinosaur so I say it should be called "Humasaur" :D

Seriously though, Arcanine is a dog - I have never once even had a slight doubt that it could be a cat and to be honest I didn't think any one would ever think it was a cat.

Gravy
9th December 2007, 2:39 PM
I did a little research and found that Arcanine is based on a chinise mythical creature called a Shisa. A Shisa is a cross between a dog and a lion.
Pretty sure I mentioned that on the first page, link included. Of course, it went completely ignored because people are too dimwitted to read into anything further than 'lol, it's got canine in it's name!!!', but that seems to be the popular thing to do these days.

The Great Almighty Poo
9th December 2007, 2:46 PM
Pretty sure I mentioned that on the first page, link included. Of course, it went completely ignored because people are too dimwitted to read into anything further than 'lol, it's got canine in it's name!!!', but that seems to be the popular thing to do these days.

Wow really? I must of missed that

SpriteRight3
9th December 2007, 2:48 PM
Ar C A N I N E.

Growlithe = Growl - Lithe
(Noise dogs make) - (Fire)

Arcanine = Arcane - Canine
(Mysterious) - (DOG)

If the name was Arcat/Arfeline/Armeower/Arpurr/Arckitten/Artediousfurball, then this debate- err... obvious lack of sense- would have some logic to it.

Like somebody said. It is 85% dog 15% cat.

There is no way in hell that it is any percent cat. It is a shisa! It's mythological! The 'logic' in mythological is the only possible way in hell that this thread has ANY logic at all.

END OF STORY.

Emperor Giratina
9th December 2007, 2:54 PM
Arcanine is a dog.... I resembles to a canine more than it does to a feline... See what it's name is made up of?:

Arcane+canine= Arcanine

..... So therefore I say that Arcanine shares a strong resemblance with dog rather than a cat.

Ze Skarmory
9th December 2007, 3:02 PM
Ar C A N I N E.

(Mysterious) - (DOG)

If the name was Arcat/Arfeline/Armeower/Arpurr/Arckitten/Artediousfurball, then this debate- err... obvious lack of sense- would have some logic to it.

There is no way in hell that it is any percent cat. It is a shisa! It's mythological! The 'logic' in mythological is the only possible way in hell that this thread has ANY logic at all.

END OF STORY.

This guy makes the most sense on this thread.
So, I agree. It's a dog.

facetious
9th December 2007, 3:10 PM
Man, you gotta love how an agglomeration of 12-year-olds are posed with a very simplistic question like "IS ARCANINE A CAT OR DOG???", and you receive 41 replies that are exactly the same. Just phrased differently.

pinkerdroit
9th December 2007, 3:14 PM
It could pass as a cat if it really wanted to..

but I think Arcanine is definitely a dog. ;)

niedude
9th December 2007, 3:24 PM
OMFG! ARCANINE! Dude lots of dogs have striopes and even mroe dogs have manes! dude thats pure stupidity I won't let you say my fav pokemon is a cat when it has nothing to do with a cat! omfg....

It's a mixture of both, seeing as it's obviously based on the Shiisaa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiisaa).

Hey jack***, arcanine is based on the koma-inu! inu in japanese means dog so dude, don't assume that he is inspired on what he is not -.-

^
Yes. Canines = dogs. Felines = cats.

Arcanine is a dog. Growlithe is a puppy, there's no reason for it to evolve into a cat. Sure it has cat-like features, but it's classification will still be of the canine family.
Dude, I agrre up to the point where you say he has cat like features... Since when does a cat have that kind of nose? Dogs have manes, (As it has been stated there is one dog called the MANNED DOG for crying out loud) and dogs have stripes, I can't believe I am actually having a conversation about this...

It should be inherently obvious to the casual observer that Arfeline is a cat.

Actually, there are no animals in the Pokemon world. It's a Pokemon!
Then how come that growlithe is a puppy pokemon and Meowth is a scratch cat pokemon? Among others, I appreciate your attempt to stop this stupid pole but you are wrong on that answer...

I think its a mixture of a Human and a Dinosaur so I say it should be called "Humasaur" :D

Seriously though, Arcanine is a dog - I have never once even had a slight doubt that it could be a cat and to be honest I didn't think any one would ever think it was a cat.

Yes! another sane person to add to da club =D

Ar C A N I N E.

(Mysterious) - (DOG)

END OF STORY.

I agree!! If it weren't that arcanine was based on the koma-inu which I sated above what inu means, so it is 100% legendary dog =D Oh wait, maybe that is why its dex entry is LEGENDARY POKEMON PPL!

Gravy
9th December 2007, 3:57 PM
Hey jack***, arcanine is based on the koma-inu!
And this makes me a jackass how?

inu in japanese means dog so dude, don't assume that he is inspired on what he is not -.-
Yes, because the differences between the two are truely that major. They're both Lion-dogs. They're both treated as gaurdians. They both basically look more or less the same. Give me one good reason why it couldn't be based on the Shisa.
And having the japanese word for 'dog' in it's name proves what, exactly? That you're assuming what he's inspired on, by the looks of things. Oops!

niedude
9th December 2007, 4:38 PM
And this makes me a jackass how?

Yes, because the differences between the two are truely that major. They're both Lion-dogs. They're both treated as gaurdians. They both basically look more or less the same. Give me one good reason why it couldn't be based on the Shisa.
And having the japanese word for 'dog' in it's name proves what, exactly? That you're assuming what he's inspired on, by the looks of things. Oops!

This makes you a jackass since growlithe is a puppy it should evolve into a dog, and since the koma inu is a dog it makes more scence, but seriously... Just it having a snout proves it is not a shino but its canine cousin, the legendary dog Koma.

??????
11th December 2007, 2:04 AM
This makes you a jackass
Someone is a Jackass because they don't share your oppinion? Please stop with your bigoted views, or keep them to yourself, child.

The English name means nothing. The Japanese name (which is most important) is Windie, which implies no animal. So most the posts here mean nothing.

Hydro King
11th December 2007, 2:51 AM
So you honestly expect me to believe that Sandshrew doesn't behave in a similar fashion to, or resemble this creature (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin) in the slightest?

Sure it does. I never said it didn't resemble a Pangolin.
Sandshrew is still a shrew. Another reason to believe so, (other than the name), is that Sandshrew learns Poison Sting at level 9.
Hence the quote:

Shrews are unusual among mammals in a number of respects. Unlike most mammals, some species of shrew are venomous.
The only reason it looks different from a regular shrew, is the fact that it's a Sandshrew.

Also, I must rethink my judgement on Arcanine.
That dog must actually be a cat; Just like Persian must actually be a dog.
Mabey Nintendo made a mistake in thier names. Heck, mabey they were supposed to be called Arsian and Percanine!;)

Imperator_Venit
11th December 2007, 3:00 AM
Arcanine looks like a dog, and its name does seem to give one the impression that it is, in fact of the canine species...

Also, if you really want to believe that it's a cat, or any other animal, you have every right to, since it's a free world...:P

Spire
11th December 2007, 3:04 AM
It's a dog.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, kindly shut the hell up.

Heliotrope
11th December 2007, 11:51 AM
This topic makes me laugh.

People shouldn't be so quick to use the dubbed names as proof.

After all, look at all the trouble "Mr.Mime" caused. You can't go two minutes on this place without someone making a topic asking "lolz. Why are there female ones when it's called Mr???"

And then when you tell them the answer for the thousandth time, they just ignore you and continue to ask...

What?A cat? How can a puppy(growlithe) evolves into a cat??

Yeah, I suppose. I mean it is the natural order of things; dogs evolve into dogs, cats evolve into cats and fish evolve into... octopuses?! (hi Remoraid!)

>_>

niedude
11th December 2007, 4:26 PM
Someone is a Jackass because they don't share your oppinion? Please stop with your bigoted views, or keep them to yourself, child.

The English name means nothing. The Japanese name (which is most important) is Windie, which implies no animal. So most the posts here mean nothing.

Child? PAh! what makes many ppl here kackasses are that they think arcanine is a cat, plz... listen guys everyone who thinks diferently than me can do that but dudes I won't take any stupid comments that are not fundamented by truth whatsoever. Arcanine is a koma-inu, a legendaray dog (explains growlithe beeing a puppy and arcanine beeing legendary) and Entei is a Shisaa(or whatever it is called). The english name means nothing but the fact that arcanine looks nothing like a cat or anything not canine related does mean something, and makes anyone who ingores it a jackass old man ^_^

It's a dog.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, kindly shut the hell up.

YES! another sane person! just do what he says and do shut the hell up plz.

Gravy
11th December 2007, 8:42 PM
Sure it does. I never said it didn't resemble a Pangolin.
Sandshrew is still a shrew. Another reason to believe so, (other than the name), is that Sandshrew learns Poison Sting at level 9.
Hence the quote:

The only reason it looks different from a regular shrew, is the fact that it's a Sandshrew.
So despite overwhelming evidence that the character is based on the Pangolin, you chose to opt for Shrew simply because of a single attack and a dub name that shouldn't even be taken into account in the first place? I'm afraid you'll have to excuse me for not agreeing the logic behind that.

'Pangolins can lash out with their razor sharp scales.' < This, may I point out, could easily be the basis of it learning the attack, taking into account that the scales are essentially sting-like (or if you want to go by the japanese name of the move, pin-like) in behavoir.

what makes many ppl here kackasses are that they think arcanine is a cat
So now I'm a jackass for claiming something I didn't actually claim in the first place?
If you say so!

but dudes I won't take any stupid comments that are not fundamented by truth whatsoever.
And just how, exactly, was my comment stupid? I read the information in the Shisa article that corresponded to the pokémon character, with a picture of an actual Shisa statue that is essentially a white Arcanine with no stripes. Usually, common sense would come into play in a situation like this, and tell one that Arcanine must have been inspired by a thing that shares multiple similarities with it.

Arcanine is a koma-inu, a legendaray dog
I do believe the Shisa article actually does refer to the Shisa as a just a 'dog' multiple times, as well as a 'lion dog'. So again I ask, what is stopping Arcanine from being based on the Shisa? You've still yet to give me any reason other than 'lol, I'm right, you're wrong!!!', which iirc, was something you attempted to penalize me for.

and makes anyone who ingores it a jackass old man ^_^
The english name means nothing but the fact that arcanine looks nothing like a cat or anything not canine related does mean something, and makes anyone who ingores it a jackass old man ^_^

Well it's a good thing I never stated it was a cat before you started shouting your mouth off and throwing names around, isn't it?

niedude
11th December 2007, 8:59 PM
So now I'm a jackass for claiming something I didn't actually claim in the first place?
If you say so!

"Originally Posted by Gravy
It's a mixture of both, seeing as it's obviously based on the Shiisaa."
Dude the evidence iis there, it shares no similarities with a cat, it is not a cat, it is not a mixture it is a DOG! and sorry but you are the one taking the flames into own guilt, I did call you a jackass and I stand corrected, not for thinking the Shisa was arcanine's creator's inspiration but because I called you that and now that is your only reason to answer me. Seriously did you reply to my post because of What I think or of what I said (to you that is)? Anyway you are the one dennaying what you and i said, I said that anyone who thinks it is a cat is a jackass, I still think that, and if you don't think he is a cat then I apologize BUT thining it is a mixture is almost as much jackassness (not a word I know :P) as saying it is a cat, so I take my apoligy back.

[QUOTE=Gravy;7284866]And just how, exactly, was my comment stupid? I read the information in the Shisa article that corresponded to the pokémon character, with a picture of an actual Shisa statue that is essentially a white Arcanine with no stripes. Usually, common sense would come into play in a situation like this, and tell one that Arcanine must have been inspired by a thing that shares multiple similarities with it.
Ok dude, the article you read sauid that the Shisa was a dog? common error, Shisa is a dog Lion or a dog/something else never denominated as a dog just that, unless there is some confusion with the Koma-inu which is INFACT a legendary guardian dog (no mixtures, pure caniness right there :3)

I do believe the Shisa article actually does refer to the Shisa as a just a 'dog' multiple times, as well as a 'lion dog'. So again I ask, what is stopping Arcanine from being based on the Shisa? You've still yet to give me any reason other than 'lol, I'm right, you're wrong!!!', which iirc, was something you attempted to penalize me for.
As I said, just a DOG is not the shisa it is the KOMA INU, also reffered to as a koma whithout the inu cause those ppl are smart enought to know that it is a dog(inu means dog, it is like calling pussycat just.... you know what I mean XD)
And lol I' right you're wrong is what you are doing, appart from now you only discredited other ppls justifications and didn't give your own(if you did I don't remember it) so you are the one who keeps telling other ppl they are wrong and you are right, you and the thread starter are dudes who need a mental check up (don't worry gravy, out of other ppl here you are not the one in most need of it. at least you try to make reasonable comments... TRY!but fail that is...)

Well it's a good thing I never stated it was a cat before you started shouting your mouth off and throwing names around, isn't it?

Me? I'm not the only one, but seriously of anyone else thinks these little awesome super special guyz ;058; ;059; are not dogs but CATS, or a mixture of something are jacka****, even the one who call arcanine a tiger need better glasses

Heliotrope
11th December 2007, 9:21 PM
Do you have some sort of cat phobia or something? It seems like it from the way you act...

Dragonfree
11th December 2007, 9:24 PM
Charmeleon is clearly a chameleon, plain and simple! What's that you say about it not changing colors, not having a long tongue, not having huge round eyes or generally in any way resembling one? IT HAS MELEON IN ITS NAME. IT OBVIOUSLY TAKES ITS SOLE INSPIRATION FROM CHAMELEONS AND ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY PART OF IT MAY BE INFLUENCED BY SOMETHING ELSE IS A BLASPHEMER.
Squirtle is a turtle, despite that its limbs are not webbed or clawed! How dare you suggest it may have anything to do with tortoises?
Oh, and Growlithe is a PUPPY and thus must evolve into a DOG. Just like how Blastoise is a SHELLFISH and Sandshrew is a MOUSE. It's blatantly obvious! Just read their Pokédex entries, DURR! Lolz stupid peoplez.

Sarcasm aside, Arcanine is definitely more of a dog than a cat if one were to classify it one way or the other, mostly thanks to the shape of its head and snout, which after all is what primarily affects us when we look at a Pokémon and are told to determine its animal equivalent. However, the primary inspiration for the Pokémon is definitely either the Shiisaa as mentioned by Gravy (and being that the Shiisa is a mixture between felines and canines, it is not at all unreasonable to assume that Arcanine's mane and stripes, in particular, are derived from felines) or the Koma-inu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koma-inu) as mentioned by niedude. And hey, click that link yourself, niedude. See how the Wikipedia article on Koma-inu redirects to "Imperial Guardian Lion"? To say that it must be 100% dog because "inu" means dog is at best very uninformed. The koma-inu is more feline than the Shiisaa if anything. :/

So yeah. It's based on a mythological animal that is a mixture, but because of the snout it is more reasonable to call it a dog than a cat if it must be one or the other.

MinunTheFighter34
11th December 2007, 9:25 PM
Duh, he is obviously a Human.

niedude
11th December 2007, 10:11 PM
Charmeleon is clearly a chameleon, plain and simple! What's that you say about it not changing colors, not having a long tongue, not having huge round eyes or generally in any way resembling one? IT HAS MELEON IN ITS NAME. IT OBVIOUSLY TAKES ITS SOLE INSPIRATION FROM CHAMELEONS AND ANYONE WHO SAYS ANY PART OF IT MAY BE INFLUENCED BY SOMETHING ELSE IS A BLASPHEMER.
Squirtle is a turtle, despite that its limbs are not webbed or clawed! How dare you suggest it may have anything to do with tortoises?
Oh, and Growlithe is a PUPPY and thus must evolve into a DOG. Just like how Blastoise is a SHELLFISH and Sandshrew is a MOUSE. It's blatantly obvious! Just read their Pokédex entries, DURR! Lolz stupid peoplez.

Sarcasm aside, Arcanine is definitely more of a dog than a cat if one were to classify it one way or the other, mostly thanks to the shape of its head and snout, which after all is what primarily affects us when we look at a Pokémon and are told to determine its animal equivalent. However, the primary inspiration for the Pokémon is definitely either the Shiisaa as mentioned by Gravy (and being that the Shiisa is a mixture between felines and canines, it is not at all unreasonable to assume that Arcanine's mane and stripes, in particular, are derived from felines) or the Koma-inu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koma-inu) as mentioned by niedude. And hey, click that link yourself, niedude. See how the Wikipedia article on Koma-inu redirects to "Imperial Guardian Lion"? To say that it must be 100% dog because "inu" means dog is at best very uninformed. The koma-inu is more feline than the Shiisaa if anything. :/

So yeah. It's based on a mythological animal that is a mixture, but because of the snout it is more reasonable to call it a dog than a cat if it must be one or the other.

DOOOOOOHH, ok I know when i'm beat... But I never saw an inscription refering to the koma-inu as a guardian lion:S, hey it is wikipedia so it could be wrong but still... also I think the image is a shisa, not to mention most of the text here matches some of the shisa references I saw :S guess they might be the same thing after all....

MidnightScott
11th December 2007, 10:18 PM
It is obviously a DOG =X

Larry
11th December 2007, 10:20 PM
it is obviously a dog because it has canine in its name

Heliotrope
11th December 2007, 10:55 PM

And female Mr.Mime's are just guys in drag because the name says "Mr" lolz loz!!!1

>__>

This place gives me a headache sometimes...

Dragonfree
12th December 2007, 12:05 AM
DOOOOOOHH, ok I know when i'm beat... But I never saw an inscription refering to the koma-inu as a guardian lion:S, hey it is wikipedia so it could be wrong but still... also I think the image is a shisa, not to mention most of the text here matches some of the shisa references I saw :S guess they might be the same thing after all....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishi also specifically refers to koma-inu ("Outside many Shinto shrines can be found the Koma-inu, (???) which despite the "inu" (?) (dog) in its name looks much like a Chinese lion") and has more images which are, again, specifically labeled as Japanese koma-inu. The article cites book sources for it, too, so unless somebody deliberately misquoted the books for the sake of misinforming people about the koma-inu, I highly doubt it's just a case of Wikipedia inaccuracy. :/

They do seem to be very close to the same thing, though.

TAKEcover
12th December 2007, 12:09 AM

what he said .

EXPERT DAN200
16th December 2007, 2:37 PM
arcanine............ canine means dog incase your slow or something.

Omni
16th December 2007, 3:14 PM
Is this seriously a matter of discussion?

About 3 people said the obvious already. Arcanine

Ah I needed a good laugh.

??????
16th December 2007, 10:11 PM
Arcanine
The english name means nothing, about 3 people said this too.

poke-loser
16th December 2007, 10:14 PM
I think Arcanine falls under the category with raikou, entei, and suicune , we dont really know and there is much debate over it.

Luxraylover
16th December 2007, 10:27 PM
Well this has gone on for a while i think we should end it as it being a cross between a dog and a cat but when it was discovered it looked more like a dog so they gave it a dog name.

niedude
16th December 2007, 10:28 PM
I think Arcanine falls under the category with raikou, entei, and suicune , we dont really know and there is much debate over it.

What? ok right.... arcanine should not have any reason for debate if some nerd dudes hadnt too much free times on their hands and question everything. arcanine is a legendary dog PERIOD! And it is obvious raikou is a tiger, entei a lion (possible a shima too, but I am open for negations with that one, definetely a lion though) and suicune a horse. They are not the same animal and ppl need to see that.

??????
16th December 2007, 10:33 PM
if some nerd dudes hadnt too much free times on their hands and question everything.
I am afraid we are all nerds here.

arcanine is a legendary dog PERIOD!
No he's not. He is a Mixture.

They are not the same animal and ppl need to see that.
People need to see you use better grammar, and not obsess of the trivial matter of Arcanine's basis. Sheesh, calling people jackasses over something like that. Childish.

Luxraylover
16th December 2007, 10:35 PM
But there called the three legendary dogs dosent that mean thar all of them are dogs.

Luxraylover
16th December 2007, 10:37 PM
Hey in my deffens im not a nerd im actial cool at school so yeah that comment was kind of rude.ps I dont go to a school where the nerds a actialy cool.

niedude
16th December 2007, 10:40 PM
I am afraid we are all nerds here.

No he's not. He is a Mixture.

People need to see you use better grammar, and not obsess of the trivial matter of Arcanine's basis. Sheesh, calling people jackasses over something like that. Childish.
Ok, arcanine is not a mixture, I am not a nerd and I am certainly not childish. Arcanine is a legendary dog, I am not a nerd hater/flamer but I am not a nerd, I am not a jock neither a prep nor anything, if you must put me in a group put me in the emo's group but I am not a nerd. Nothing personal but I am just not a nerd ^_^

But there called the three legendary dogs gosent that mean thar all of them are dogs.

The poeple who call them legendary dogs call them wrong, there is not an official category to them except beasts, especially sionce none of them is even a canine. My post up above explains it.

Luxraylover
16th December 2007, 10:44 PM
I am definatly a cool kid not a nerd you practicly cauld your self one.

eeveerose
16th December 2007, 11:57 PM
I guess a dog!
I accidentally clicked the wrong one on the poll though >.<

Dragon_Reborn
17th December 2007, 1:58 AM
I would say that Arcanine is a dog pokemon.The word "Canine" is in it relating to dogs.Also it evolves from Growlithe which is obviously a dog seeing the Officer Jenny's use them in the anime.

Gravy
17th December 2007, 2:26 AM
I am not a nerd and I am certainly not childish.
So you're telling me that obsessing over a fictional character to the point where you're willing to shoot your mouth off and call people names for the most inane reasons imaginable doesn't make you either of these things? It is to freaking laugh.

I honestly don't even know why you're still so irate about all this, especially since Dragonfree pretty much nailed you with that dignified response of hers.

niedude
17th December 2007, 2:36 PM
So you're telling me that obsessing over a fictional character to the point where you're willing to shoot your mouth off and call people names for the most inane reasons imaginable doesn't make you either of these things? It is to freaking laugh.

I honestly don't even know why you're still so irate about all this, especially since Dragonfree pretty much nailed you with that dignified response of hers.

Nailed me? Nailed me? *ROFL* She aggred with me over the fct that arcanine is a dog what the f*** are you talking about dude? The only thing we disagreed was if it was a shiisa or a koma-inu which doesn't matter since we both agree arcanine is a dog!

Mario-Sonic
17th December 2007, 2:37 PM
The part that says "canine" should give you a hint that it's a dog.

Biechae
17th December 2007, 2:46 PM
It's a DOG! For god sakes it's got canine in it's frikken name!

Jerre
17th December 2007, 5:26 PM
Arcanine, a Dog! It's a canine. Henche the word "canine" in the name. ;)

??????
18th December 2007, 2:47 AM
The part that says "canine" should give you a hint that it's a dog
The name Windie implies no animal species.

Redeevee
18th December 2007, 5:05 AM
the canine suggests dog, but it looks like a lion to me! so i voted for mixture. either way its awesome!!

Drake Pokétrainer
18th December 2007, 9:40 PM
Its obviously a dog.

??????
20th December 2007, 10:59 PM
She aggred with me over the fct that arcanine is a dog what the f*** are you talking about dude?
Don't tell me adults need to use such language to back up their oppinions.

The only thing we disagreed was if it was a shiisa or a koma-inu which doesn't matter since we both agree arcanine is a dog!
At least Dragonfree doesn't need to flame to back up their oppinions.

kingferret53
20th December 2007, 11:02 PM
Arcanine is a dog. Doesn't he bark in the cartoons? Plus he has Canine in the name. Dead give away.

The Great Almighty Poo
21st December 2007, 8:38 PM
Ok, arcanine is not a mixture, I am not a nerd and I am certainly not childish. Arcanine is a legendary dog, I am not a nerd hater/flamer but I am not a nerd, I am not a jock neither a prep nor anything, if you must put me in a group put me in the emo's group but I am not a nerd. Nothing personal but I am just not a nerd ^_^

Yes you are childish. Calling people a jackass because of their opinion is childish and makes you look like a twit. Swearing just causes arguments and doesn't help at all when you are debating. If other people think it is a slight mixture of a cat and a dog and you think its a dog then you don't have to flame them. People have their own opinions. You have lost your own respect and we think you should grow up.

And i wish that people would give reasons other than the name.
"It's got Canine in the name so it's a dog". Everyone knows that! I get sick of hearing people say that again and again. Even if it has that in it's name does not mean it is purely a dog so it doesn't mean anything really.

niedude
21st December 2007, 8:42 PM
Yes you are childish. Calling people a jackass because of their opinion is childish and makes you look like a twit. Swearing just causes arguments and doesn't help at all when you are debating. If other people think it is a slight mixture of a cat and a dog and you think its a dog then you don't have to flame them. People have their own opinions. You have lost your own respect and we think you should grow up.

And i wish that people would give reasons other than the name.
"It's got Canine in the name so it's a dog". Everyone knows that! I get sick of hearing people say that again and again. Even if it has that in it's name does not mean it is purely a dog so it doesn't mean anything really.

Does the fact that it barks mean it is a cat?
No, it barks then it is a dog, simple as that. Trying to avoid this one will just tell that some ppl here like to argue sometimes forgetting the true question.

^-^

Linzys
21st December 2007, 11:28 PM
It's a ridiculously fluffy, outrageously colored dog of some sort. But if one wants to believe it's a lion, hey, whatever. The way it's built is very...canine, though.

Mewtwo's Apprentice
21st December 2007, 11:32 PM
He's definitely a dog

Mew_Myuu
18th January 2008, 11:18 PM
i'ts a dog, that's why the word 'canine' is in its name xD

~Spacial_Rendation~
19th January 2008, 12:29 AM
Its a Mixture. 85% doggy 15% kitty.

~Water Lucario~
19th January 2008, 5:59 AM
One of the stupidest polls yet, it is obviously a dog... maybe that explains why Officer Jenny's Growlithe barks.

Xweek
19th January 2008, 6:01 PM
Let's see. How many pokemon don't follow normal laws of evolution/naming? Well...

...We have Remoraid, Charmander (salamander->chameleon->lizard? Salamanders aren't even reptiles), Wingull, Mr Mime, Cyndaquil, Magikarp probably more...

Besides, if it is based on legend, what it is may not correspond to what it looks like. Gyrados is supposed to be a sea serpent, but he doesn't look like one.

I'm neutral.

Token
19th January 2008, 6:14 PM
As has been stated numerous times, Windie is based on the Shisa, a mix of both feline and canine. Whats more, the english name has absolutely nothing to do with the species. Honestly, you'd think Sabrina's female Mr.Mime would show you that.

Shiny Magmortar
19th January 2008, 6:18 PM
Well it's obviously a dog, it's not Arfeline, it's Arcanine...

Xweek
19th January 2008, 6:52 PM
But a Tasmanian Tiger is actually a canine...

BlazeShadow
19th January 2008, 6:55 PM
Isn't it obvious that it's based on a canine?

Deputy55
19th January 2008, 6:59 PM
It's a dog. It barks, Growlithe is a puppy, K9 is in its name, and has many dog features like a muzzle.

Laika
20th January 2008, 8:43 AM
Are you people blind? Its a naked mole rat.

NotChip
20th January 2008, 2:23 PM
Lets look at the poll results shall we?

104 people think its a dog,
17 think its a mixture (but there is nothing there saying its a mixture of a cat and dog so people could vote this saying its a mixture of a dog and a...........plant? )
6 people vote saying its a human
5 say its a cat.

Basically out of all those options, people least think its a cat. So yeah, I think we can establish that Arcanine isn't a cat, unless someone wants to post an argument saying that the 104 people voting for dog are all retards which have been involved in car accidents that have suffered some kind of brain damage and that the 5 people that voted for cats have IQ's higher then 300, but I don't think that'll be a good argument.

#Gecko#
20th January 2008, 7:45 PM
Of course its a dog kind. It doesn't have whiskers, or claws. And its pevious evolution is the puppy Pokemon.

MidnightTheMightyena
20th January 2008, 7:46 PM
This thread is ancient, I said both

Brettt
20th January 2008, 9:17 PM
Its a cat, dogs can't shoot fire.

Divine_Light
20th January 2008, 9:38 PM
Let me guess.. Arcanine
The clue is in the name

#Gecko#
20th January 2008, 10:05 PM
Its a cat, dogs can't shoot fire.
And cats do, don't they?!

niedude
20th January 2008, 10:06 PM
And cats do, don't they?!

I assumed he was being sarcastic:S

Dusknoir08
29th January 2008, 10:20 PM
ar-canine...
its a dog

FlawedDeception
30th January 2008, 3:04 PM
its a dog, obviously ¬_¬

~Mesprit~
30th January 2008, 3:33 PM
I'm waiting for next question:

Swellow - bird or ferret?
a) bird
b) ferret
c) mixed
d) none of them

LOL

Volteon
30th January 2008, 4:06 PM
PsyDUCK and GolDUCK are platipus, so the "name theory" isn't so good.

But obviously Arcanine is a dog Pokémon. Especially because of Growlithe, the puppy Pokémon.