PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Voice acting in languages other than English

Flygon3X
3rd January 2008, 10:09 PM
Discuss about Pokemon voice acing in other languages here.

Yes, people in Pokemon has many different voices out there. They definitely sounds different in places like Japan. Last year, I went to Asia (Taiwan I think) and I came across some Pokemon episode currently airing. I watched it and everybody sounded like crazy. The voice acting made May sound like a 5-year old, in my opinion, and I had more weird thoughts like that. Has anybody also watched the shows in other languages and find it strange?

Cobalt_Latios
4th January 2008, 6:50 AM
For me, it's hearing the french version of it. It's alright, but unfortunately, I think its Québeque who, for some strange reason feels they should translate the names to three quarters of the names to french. Which makes no friggin sense. Of course, the french have their own little twist to things so that would seem reasonable, but for the love of god, why do they have to make Ash's sound even more of a girl, despite the fact that he's also voiced by one? (french name: Sacha, I think).
Otherwise, I think Meowth's voice in french sounds closer to the Japanese one, in case anyone is interested.

~C_L~

Seviper009
4th January 2008, 12:54 PM
In dutch, the Pokémon Dub is one of the best of our world. The cast was very good. Too bad the voices of James and Meowth got changed this year...

Star Dust
4th January 2008, 2:18 PM
In the Philippines, we have/had a Filipino dub. Dunno what happened to it but they had one here. Disappointing to say the least. Ash sounded like some 30 year old dude in a soap opera. :/ No offense to our dubbing companies, but the Philippines has really got to stop dubbing the popular animes. At least the ones popular here. But when they dub, they really have to make it the OLDEST episodes that they could find. Don't know much about other dubs other than ours and America.

drygonia
4th January 2008, 3:07 PM
In French version(France/Belgium) ,The voices was all right at the first 7th season.
But since the seasons 8-9 ,some has changed into bad things <_<

A good exemple: Meowth's voice.Its voice changed at the 9th season.
The old one was more better.Now its sound like an old woman.
Now, there is Dawn's french voice.It's the more horrible thing i Saw in the pokemon french Dub since Drew's Voice while the season 9.Her voice doesn't fit with her character .

So, Sometimes, they use the old main characters voices with filler characters.
For example in the French Chatot episode,the little girl(forget her name) had the same voice than Misty... I used to hate this.

But it's still good to see Pokemon in our language.

Seviper009
4th January 2008, 6:49 PM
With us they also use a lot of the same voice actors: As example: Ash and Cassidy are voiced the same, Brock and Giovanni, Misty and Katie (Hoenn Leaque). Max and Daisy... That's too bad, and with some voice they exactly sounds the same.

Flygon3X
5th January 2008, 2:45 AM
I still remember Meowth's voice in Taiwan sounded exactlly like the one in Japan. He sounds like some very little kid.

DarkLegend
6th January 2008, 9:08 AM
You should listen to the Indian (Hindi) version.... it's awesome
When they first started it was pretty unprofessional but by Mid-Jhoto, they had considerably improved....

The best in our dub would have to Kishore Bhatt who voices James.... He's perfect and his manner of speaking is close to the Japanese version's.... infact I would say that he IS James....

Now the worst.... Drew sounds like a whiny little girl! LOLOLOL!
However, his Advanced Battle voice is much better though I don't know wether they changed the voice actor or not....

My only gripe is that May's voice actor should put some more weight in her voice ....

As for other dubs.... I hate the 4KIDS version of Team Rocket and Ash ... well... he's a clearly a girl.....

Raziel
6th January 2008, 9:16 AM
The Spanish (Latin American) dub goes for me. I actually like it... VA's are talented, they make the characters sound more real, and they make the jokes funnier. In my opinion, it's better than the english dub.

My only complaint with the Latin American dub would be regarding May and Drew's voices... they've been voiced by like, three different VA's so far. May's current voice is good enough, although I liked her first voice more.

KetchupO
6th January 2008, 3:34 PM
In Arabic the VA's are ok. :)
The only thing I hate is that they refer to Pokemon as either a male or a female...and that's ok with me...but why is Nidoqueen considered male xD

Leona
6th January 2008, 9:46 PM
Well... I do know that they have Filipino dubs for pokemon episodes so...

Dax
7th January 2008, 1:27 AM
I didn't like May's voice in the Latin American version because she sounded really mature. But her name was good, she's named Aura and Dawn is called Maya.

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
7th January 2008, 4:49 AM
You should listen to the Indian (Hindi) version.... it's awesome
When they first started it was pretty unprofessional but by Mid-Jhoto, they had considerably improved....

The best in our dub would have to Kishore Bhatt who voices James.... He's perfect and his manner of speaking is close to the Japanese version's.... infact I would say that he IS James....

Now the worst.... Drew sounds like a whiny little girl! LOLOLOL!
However, his Advanced Battle voice is much better though I don't know wether they changed the voice actor or not....

My only gripe is that May's voice actor should put some more weight in her voice ....

As for other dubs.... I hate the 4KIDS version of Team Rocket and Ash ... well... he's a clearly a girl.....

That's what I heard from a friend of mine who used to watch it in hindi before he came overseas. It must be really funny the way they must say things though because it's pretty unusual for an indian person to be saying many of the things they do in Pokemon. I would love to listen to an episode dubbed in hindi.

drygonia
7th January 2008, 10:54 AM
So Yesterday, Jetix France aired the first 3 episodes of D/P.

As i Said before Dawn's voice(Aurore in French) is horrible.
Plus, the best is the Paul's Voice.He's the same voice than Drew °__°.

I like you French dubbers.<__<

Haunter Hunter Sohrab
8th January 2008, 6:40 AM
I managed to find a small clip of the show dubbed in Hindi. I must say, it was impressive! Really did not expect it to be like that!

Ludi-Kero!
8th January 2008, 7:06 AM
I get the same dub as Raziel, the Spanish (Latin American) dub. Like Raziel said, I also find this dub funnier, specially the VA of Team Rocket and characters like Harley. I don't have problems with the voices, as I think most of them fit the character or are ok.

My complain about this dub is how they always get the attack names wrong or they just confuse a little between the attacks. Like how they always called Quick Attack "Ataque Rápido", but at one point in Hoenn they just renamed the attack as "Ataque Sorpresa". The worst thing about that name change is that "Ataque Sorpresa" was already used as the name for the attack Ember.

The carter
10th January 2008, 9:53 PM
Discuss about Pokemon voice acing in other languages here.

Yes, people in Pokemon has many different voices out there. They definitely sounds different in places like Japan. Last year, I went to Asia (Taiwan I think) and I came across some Pokemon episode currently airing. I watched it and everybody sounded like crazy. The voice acting made May sound like a 5-year old, in my opinion, and I had more weird thoughts like that. Has anybody also watched the shows in other languages and find it strange?

I watch the show in dutch and it is far superiour to the english/american and even the japanse version. Ash is being voiced by the same dude(or female) that did his voice since the very beginning. Same goes for brock only since advanced battle the voice of meowth and james changed (sadly). Advanced battle started airing last year I think.

But anyway the dutch version is far superious to anything

Cobalt_Latios
13th January 2008, 2:28 AM
So Yesterday, Jetix France aired the first 3 episodes of D/P.

As i Said before Dawn's voice(Aurore in French) is horrible.
Plus, the best is the Paul's Voice.He's the same voice than Drew °__°.

I like you French dubbers.<__<

Her name is Aurore. I'm trying to figure out how you'd pronounce that.
(Eau-rare, I think that's how it would be pronounced. Only works if you pronounce it french though.)

For Paul, why can I not imagine that voice. If you know a place that has a clip of the french dub of D/P, I would most certainly like to hear it.

~C_L~

Kuraudio
14th January 2008, 4:14 AM
In fact, in Latin America, May has the same name that in U.S., in Spain May is called Aura. Although in Latin America the 10th season of Pokémon (DP) is released February 10th, Dawn will be called the same name and Paul too, in Spain changes the names of May as Aura and Dawn as Maya because their names translate in the games of GBA and DS respectively and from the games take the translated names to use them in the anime.

I so sorry it in case I had syntax errors and it was not understood but I am from Chile and it is the first time that I write in a forum in english

drygonia
14th January 2008, 4:07 PM
Her name is Aurore. I'm trying to figure out how you'd pronounce that.
(Eau-rare, I think that's how it would be pronounced. Only works if you pronounce it french though.)

For Paul, why can I not imagine that voice. If you know a place that has a clip of the french dub of D/P, I would most certainly like to hear it.

~C_L~
;

yes it is.
the "O" is the same thing than the "O" of Pokemon too.

So I'm going to send you a PM where you'll find the Episode 3 with French Paul's voice.

Jerre
14th January 2008, 6:12 PM
In dutch, the Pokémon Dub is one of the best of our world. The cast was very good. Too bad the voices of James and Meowth got changed this year...

Same here.

Cobalt_Latios
15th January 2008, 6:19 PM
;

yes it is.
the "O" is the same thing than the "O" of Pokemon too.

So I'm going to send you a PM where you'll find the Episode 3 with French Paul's voice.

I got it and watched it. I must say, Dawn's voice (or "Aurore's" voice rather) doesn't really suit her. It would suit Misty had she still been there, though that may be because it is her VA. As for Ash, well it was what I was expecting as I remember watching some of the oldest episodes in French. It's still Aurélie or however you spell. As for Brock, same as Ash. Paul, I don't know, I'd like it except the English dub really suits him. Then again, you really don't find that kind of person in French so I guess it does sort of make sense. Team Rocket really surprised me. Meowth sounds as if Maddie Blaustein learned how to speak French (which made him the most bearable to hear), James and Jessie, it's been a while since I've heard them speak, so I really wouldn't remember any differences if any. Though what really bugs me is this: Why is it that French dubbers MUST translate every name to a suitable name in their language? Can't they just learn to pronounce the English with a French accent or something? I mean, in French, Ash is "Sacha", Brock is "Pierre". Jessie and James don't change (odd really), Rowan changes to some somewhat incomprehendable name (I'll have to watch it again, it went by too fast).

All in all, the intro in French is by far the hardest for me to understand. If you thought the English one was rough, well this one is much rougher. It flows better, just pronouncing it is a little hard.

It's a good thing my French is still somewhat intact. In fact, I actually guessed one of the line's that Dawn was about to say. Right as the pokéball hit Pikachu and did nothing, I immediately did a quick mental translation of what she'd say and got this: "Si ça ne fonctionnait pas, ça veut dire que t'appartien ?* quelque d'autre, je crois.". Okay, it didn't wind up being exactly that but I was pretty close. That's how you'd expect a translation to go.

Anyways, I'll dl the next one and make some more comparisons to the English dub. I might even try and get the lyrics to the intro and post it later on.

~C_L~