PDA

View Full Version : Australia Open!

blackrose
15th January 2008, 8:03 AM
This is mainly for tennis fans and Australians i guess. but this thread si so you can discuss who you want to win, if your goign to watch it etc.

martianman40
15th January 2008, 9:07 AM
I couldn't make it this year, but my folks said I could go next year.

SkinnySweatyMan
15th January 2008, 10:47 AM
I might watch some of it while I'm visiting my parents, but back home I don't have cable. Good tennis matches are always blasts to watch.

Clash
15th January 2008, 11:15 AM
Officially open to illegal immigrants!

latios reborn
15th January 2008, 11:40 AM
i honestly don't like tennis it is compleatly boring and goes on forever

_Calm|Mind_
15th January 2008, 12:10 PM
Officially open to illegal immigrants!It's rather sad, isn't it? :(

Cutty
15th January 2008, 12:11 PM
Meh, Depends on who meeting who in the final.

But I read it in the newspaper today, Sharapova will meet Davenport in 2nd round. That should be intersting to watch I guess (not really a fan of both, though).

blackrose
15th January 2008, 1:00 PM
well roger federer got through the first round, but thats no surprise.
i just finished watching that match he barerly let the guy get any games in.
the score was 6/0, 6/3, 6/0. i think.
ill update whatever matches i watch.

Freya
15th January 2008, 4:35 PM
Wrong Section, should probably in entertainment.

ON TOPIC NOTE:

I might watch it, but chances are Ill be too busy too. x_x

absoluteSoul
16th January 2008, 2:11 AM
I feel sorry for those unseeded players who meet seeded players in the first and second rounds. To the seeded players like Federer, they seem like target practice.

Anyways, is Guccione out of the Open? I was so hoping he would make it. He's the only Australian tennis player that I like. Lleyton Hewitt is too noisy (not to mention bossy) for me. =/

Rather out of topic - Did anyone watch the Kooyong?

blackrose
16th January 2008, 10:03 AM
i watched some of the kooyong, and i think guccione is still in.

~-Overheat-~
16th January 2008, 10:09 AM
Is Nadal entering? Sorry, I dont know anything about Tennis:redface:

blackrose
16th January 2008, 1:49 PM
I just watched the match between Andy Roddick(USA) and Michael Berrer(GER). Andy Roddick won after 3 sets, the score was 6/2, 6/2, 6/4.

for updates on matches visit this website http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/scores/cmatch/index.html

lamp of meow
16th January 2008, 6:31 PM
Murray lost in the first round. Lol, English tennis players aren't consistant, but then again, so are all british sport players.

j_hunter
17th January 2008, 1:01 PM
Go The Williams Sisters!

Conquistador
18th January 2008, 1:41 PM
Watched the Baghdatis/Saffin match last night. God, that match was good! Currently watching A-Rod.

It's a shame about Gucc really. I hope Baghdatis beats Leyton :P I dislike Leyton immensely.

blackrose
18th January 2008, 1:46 PM
im watchinh the a-rod match too, i want a-rod to win.
and with baghdatis i want him to leave the aus open, because of what he did. for you people who dont know what he did he held a flare and chanted go home turks. he meant the turks get out of cyprus.
i hate hewitt but i dont want baghdatis to be in after that.

Conquistador
18th January 2008, 1:58 PM
Oh please.

Tell me, what is actually wrong about what he did?

*is big Baghdatis fan :P*

blackrose
18th January 2008, 2:02 PM
thtas what he did, usually i like baghdatis but you shouldn't say things like that.

Conquistador
18th January 2008, 2:03 PM
thtas what he did, usually i like baghdatis but you should say things like that.

Lol, typo, anyone?

blackrose
18th January 2008, 4:10 PM
lol,
well i just finished watching the match between Any Roddick(6) and Philipp Kohlschreiber(29).
Philipp Kohlschreiber Won!!!
the score was:
A. Rod - 4,6,6,7,6
P. Koh - 6,3,7,6,8

absoluteSoul
21st January 2008, 4:14 AM
lol,
well i just finished watching the match between Any Roddick(6) and Philipp Kohlschreiber(29).
Philipp Kohlschreiber Won!!!
the score was:
A. Rod - 4,6,6,7,6
P. Koh - 6,3,7,6,8

Ugh, Andy Roddick played disappointingly in the first set. I didn't see the whole thing, but now I'm glad I didn't (according to a source of mine, he had temper tantrums? can someone confirm this?). Seeing Andy lose is just so heartbreaking (yeah, he's my favourite tennis player).

Hewitt may have won over Baghdatis (I wish Baghdatis won though, since I dislike Hewitt too), but he's going up against Novak Djokovic tonight! Oh man, it's going to be one hell of a match. I'm rooting for Novak, of course :D

Anyways, I think I saw Roger Federer. Not in TV! I went to Melbourne Park yesterday and on top of the bridge, I think I saw him in a court playing against some other guy (looks like an exhibition or practice match though...). Even though the people said it was him, I'm not sure. I even asked the people I was with and they said it was him. I wanted to go inside to make sure, but the Ground Pass was expensive. I also looked at the schedule, and he wasn't there... *sigh* I don't know, but if it was him, then yesterday could just be the most memorable day of my life.

SkinnySweatyMan
21st January 2008, 8:41 AM
Oh man, I'm surprised no one has written about this yet. Did anyone watch the match with Federer against some other guy (I forgot his name; I had never heard of him before)? It was insane. Sure, Federer wasn't playing his best game, he was a bit shaky, but still, the other guy took it to him. Federer had to win in five sets, and he barely won the fifth set. The score was something like: Federer: 6-7, 7-5, 6-7, 6-3, 10-8.

absoluteSoul
21st January 2008, 9:12 AM
Oh man, I'm surprised no one has written about this yet. Did anyone watch the match with Federer against some other guy (I forgot his name; I had never heard of him before)? It was insane. Sure, Federer wasn't playing his best game, he was a bit shaky, but still, the other guy took it to him. Federer had to win in five sets, and he barely won the fifth set. The score was something like: Federer: 6-7, 7-5, 6-7, 6-3, 10-8.

Oh, that! Unfortunately, I didn't watch that one. But he played against a Serbian tennis player, right? Is it me, or are Serbians really good at playing tennis?

absoluteSoul
21st January 2008, 12:01 PM
(I hope this doesn't count as double post...)

Currently watching Hewitt versus Djokovic match. Djokovic is up two sets to one. Hope he continues to play very well!

SkinnySweatyMan
22nd January 2008, 9:45 AM
Oh, that! Unfortunately, I didn't watch that one. But he played against a Serbian tennis player, right? Is it me, or are Serbians really good at playing tennis?

Yes, he was a Serbian tennis player, and he wasn't in the top 32 either. However, I had a feeling he was going to lose his next match if he had beaten Federer. Federer's probably going to make the finals now.

Unfortunately, that does count as a double post, but don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Didn't Hewitt end up winning that match?

I'm back home (done visiting my parents), so no more Australian Open for me.

absoluteSoul
22nd January 2008, 10:03 AM
Yes, he was a Serbian tennis player, and he wasn't in the top 32 either. However, I had a feeling he was going to lose his next match if he had beaten Federer. Federer's probably going to make the finals now.

Unfortunately, that does count as a double post, but don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Didn't Hewitt end up winning that match?

I'm back home (done visiting my parents), so no more Australian Open for me.

Well, I'm not sure if it does. I posted a few hours after my last post...

No, Djokovic won in straight sets :D Some people thought that Hewitt didn't win because of the exhaustion he got from his previous match with Baghdatis (y'know, playing 'til 4 in the morn') but even if he wasn't tired, I don't think he'd win. It could have been a close match. Novak's next opponent is David Ferrer. Not sure if that's semi or quarter finals though...

Jankovic did well against Serena Williams today! She won in straight sets! :) I sure am glad since she's my favourite female tennis player. Serena didn't look very pleased though, IMO.

The Henin-Sharapova showdown is now under way! Yes, right at this moment! :D (Man, I feel like an announcer/commentator) I don't know who'll win, but both are crowd favourites.

Oh wait! I just got an update. I read in the official Australian Open website that Roger Federer is going up against James Blake!

Heroo
22nd January 2008, 6:23 PM
Damnit =( Henin is out
There goes our Belgian proud D:

absoluteSoul
23rd January 2008, 7:23 AM
Damnit =( Henin is out
There goes our Belgian proud D:

I'm actually surprised that she got taken out by Sharapova. I never really watched any of her games, but I heard that she's really good. I'm sorry about that, Heroo, but I'm sure there are plenty more of grand slams for her to win.

Now Sharapova will be up against Jelena Jankovic. A good match indeed. I'm rooting for Ms. Jankovic, of course :D

Speaking of other Serbian players, Novak Djokovic leads 2 sets to none against David Ferrer. Right now, Ferrer managed to break Djokovic's serve. Perhaps a tie-break to claim the third set? And tonight is the Federer-Blake showdown.

BTW, for tennis fangirls, I think this is worth looking at: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/interactive/slideshow/slideShow.html?xmlPage=/en_AU/interactive/slideshow/2008-01-23/200801221201004210625.xml

SkinnySweatyMan
23rd January 2008, 8:09 AM
Well, I'm not sure if it does. I posted a few hours after my last post...

No, Djokovic won in straight sets :D Some people thought that Hewitt didn't win because of the exhaustion he got from his previous match with Baghdatis (y'know, playing 'til 4 in the morn') but even if he wasn't tired, I don't think he'd win. It could have been a close match. Novak's next opponent is David Ferrer. Not sure if that's semi or quarter finals though...

Jankovic did well against Serena Williams today! She won in straight sets! :) I sure am glad since she's my favourite female tennis player. Serena didn't look very pleased though, IMO.

The Henin-Sharapova showdown is now under way! Yes, right at this moment! :D (Man, I feel like an announcer/commentator) I don't know who'll win, but both are crowd favourites.

Oh wait! I just got an update. I read in the official Australian Open website that Roger Federer is going up against James Blake!

Oh yeah, that's right. I was thinking of the Hewitt/Baghdatis match. I don't have cable up at my place, so I can't watch any more. You seem like you're enjoying this commentating stuff, you can probably keep me posted (unless you get tired of it). Ah yes, Blake! He's always been one of my favorites, he was more fun to watch before when he had that cool hair and he was unranked, but I still enjoy watching him.

absoluteSoul
23rd January 2008, 8:25 AM
Oh yeah, that's right. I was thinking of the Hewitt/Baghdatis match. I don't have cable up at my place, so I can't watch any more. You seem like you're enjoying this commentating stuff, you can probably keep me posted (unless you get tired of it). Ah yes, Blake! He's always been one of my favorites, he was more fun to watch before when he had that cool hair and he was unranked, but I still enjoy watching him.

Oh, don't worry, I don't think I'll get tired of commentating stuff anytime soon. I'd be pretty worthless once the Aus Open is over though. :( Blake's not really my favourite, but he's doing well for making this far. I also heard that he won 3 Kooyong Classics in a row, so that's really good. Let's see how he fares against the Fed-Ex tonight. I've heard that Blake always got owned by Federer whenever they met. Of course, I'm rooting for Federer since I'm going to watch the Finals in Rod Laver Arena and I badly want to see him. I also want his autograph xP

If he doesn't make it, well I hope Novak Djokovic does. He's now my current favourite male tennis player to win the Men's Singles since A-Rod's gone now... But it will be a huge dilemma for me if both Federer and the Serbian rising star faces off in the finals. I don't know who I'll root for!

Have you been to www.australianopen.com? I check the site whenever I'm online.

Oh yeah, and Novak Djokovic won against 5th seed David Ferrer, winning in straight sets again! It was 6-0 6-3 7-5 IIRC. And another Serbian tennis player, Ana Ivanovic won her match against Venus Williams this morning.

SkinnySweatyMan
24th January 2008, 7:52 AM
Oh, don't worry, I don't think I'll get tired of commentating stuff anytime soon. I'd be pretty worthless once the Aus Open is over though. :( Blake's not really my favourite, but he's doing well for making this far. I also heard that he won 3 Kooyong Classics in a row, so that's really good. Let's see how he fares against the Fed-Ex tonight. I've heard that Blake always got owned by Federer whenever they met. Of course, I'm rooting for Federer since I'm going to watch the Finals in Rod Laver Arena and I badly want to see him. I also want his autograph xP

If he doesn't make it, well I hope Novak Djokovic does. He's now my current favourite male tennis player to win the Men's Singles since A-Rod's gone now... But it will be a huge dilemma for me if both Federer and the Serbian rising star faces off in the finals. I don't know who I'll root for!

Have you been to www.australianopen.com? I check the site whenever I'm online.

Oh yeah, and Novak Djokovic won against 5th seed David Ferrer, winning in straight sets again! It was 6-0 6-3 7-5 IIRC. And another Serbian tennis player, Ana Ivanovic won her match against Venus Williams this morning.

Nice. What makes you think you'd be worthless after it's over? Blake's not my favorite either, but he's up there. I actually met him and got my picture taken with him. That's probably true, but then again, most people usually get owned by Federer. I remember I was watching a match a couple of years ago with Federer (I forgot who he was playing), and he won the first set in twelve minutes.

A-Rod as in Andy Roddick? I've never heard that nickname for anyone except Alex Rodriquez (a baseball player). I like to root for the underdog in most situations, especially if he/she is doing well in the match. I usually like a close nail-biter type of game. It's not as fun to watch if one player is taking the show way in my opinion.

No, I don't think I have. I've never really followed tennis very much. I like to watch it because I like to play it, and I started out watching it to learn foot work and what not, but now I don't play as much and I really like to watch it.

Wow, bad luck for the Williams', eh?

absoluteSoul
24th January 2008, 10:07 AM
Nice. What makes you think you'd be worthless after it's over? Blake's not my favorite either, but he's up there. I actually met him and got my picture taken with him. That's probably true, but then again, most people usually get owned by Federer. I remember I was watching a match a couple of years ago with Federer (I forgot who he was playing), and he won the first set in twelve minutes.

A-Rod as in Andy Roddick? I've never heard that nickname for anyone except Alex Rodriquez (a baseball player). I like to root for the underdog in most situations, especially if he/she is doing well in the match. I usually like a close nail-biter type of game. It's not as fun to watch if one player is taking the show way in my opinion.

No, I don't think I have. I've never really followed tennis very much. I like to watch it because I like to play it, and I started out watching it to learn foot work and what not, but now I don't play as much and I really like to watch it.

Wow, bad luck for the Williams', eh?

Well, I dunno. I guess I don't really have anything else to do. Wow! You're so lucky! Is he a nice guy? Any famous tennis player will do for me, really, but it would be very special if I could get Roger, Andy or Novak's autograph.

Yeah, A-Rod as in Andy Roddick. I'd rather call him Andy, but I have a friend who has the same name so it poses some trouble for me... :p

Yeah, bad luck for the sisters, both being beaten by Serbians. Unfortunately, Jelena Jankovic was demolished by Maria Sharapova today. I was rooting for Jelena too, but she didn't do badly. It was just that Sharapova was really in her best form even after defeating Justine Henin in the quarter-finals. Her gameplay was really impressive, delivering winner after winner. She'll be facing Ana Ivanovic who won against Daniela Huntochova(sp?) today as well. I have a feeling that Sharapova will win the finals though. She hasn't lost a set yet, but we'll see.

Tonight is the semi-final match between Rafael Nadal and Jo-Wilfred Tsonga. Neither are any of my favourites, but I'm rooting for Tsonga. Tomorrow will be the Federer-Djokovic showdown which I am disappointed about because I wanted to see both in the grand finals instead! :(

SkinnySweatyMan
25th January 2008, 7:38 AM
Well, I dunno. I guess I don't really have anything else to do. Wow! You're so lucky! Is he a nice guy? Any famous tennis player will do for me, really, but it would be very special if I could get Roger, Andy or Novak's autograph.

Yeah, A-Rod as in Andy Roddick. I'd rather call him Andy, but I have a friend who has the same name so it poses some trouble for me... :p

Yeah, bad luck for the sisters, both being beaten by Serbians. Unfortunately, Jelena Jankovic was demolished by Maria Sharapova today. I was rooting for Jelena too, but she didn't do badly. It was just that Sharapova was really in her best form even after defeating Justine Henin in the quarter-finals. Her gameplay was really impressive, delivering winner after winner. She'll be facing Ana Ivanovic who won against Daniela Huntochova(sp?) today as well. I have a feeling that Sharapova will win the finals though. She hasn't lost a set yet, but we'll see.

Tonight is the semi-final match between Rafael Nadal and Jo-Wilfred Tsonga. Neither are any of my favourites, but I'm rooting for Tsonga. Tomorrow will be the Federer-Djokovic showdown which I am disappointed about because I wanted to see both in the grand finals instead! :(

You could make predictions about the next tournament or something, those are always fun. Well, I caught him at a bad time. I was visiting my aunt in Texas during the Cay Court Tournament, and I saw him in the parking lot, so I decided to try to talk to him for a little bit, but it seemed like he was in a hurry, but he did get a picture taken with me, so that was nice of him. Then when he was leaving, Marty Fish appeared out of no where and they went to the courts together.

Darn. Sharapova is a good player, but I've never been a fan of her. I don't really think it's necessary to grunt like she does, it seems like she's intentionally trying to mess up her opponent.

For some reason I never took a liking to Nadal, I'm not sure why. I'll be rooting for Tsonga as well. It must have been a pain for Nadal when his trainer made him play left handed though, I don't think I'd be able to do that very well. Well, the serving part, I can ground stroke left handed. That's too bad, but look at the bright side: at least one of them will make it, which is better than neither.

Conquistador
25th January 2008, 11:12 AM
Currently watching the Fed/Djok match...

NOO! FEDERER! I fear he may lose!

I certainly hope not, I don't particularly like Djokovick...

Clash
25th January 2008, 12:58 PM
Fed was totally defeated.

facetious
25th January 2008, 2:48 PM
Tomorrow will be the Federer-Djokovic showdown which I am disappointed about because I wanted to see both in the grand finals instead! :(
What would have been the difference if they played in the finals instead of the semis? They both would have played exactly the same no matter what, so I don't know why you're crying about it.

I'm glad Federer lost. He's one of the most boring tennis players to watch in my opinion. Someone had to dethrone him eventually, and what better person to do it than a 20-year-old.

Finals should be interesting.

absoluteSoul
26th January 2008, 6:01 AM
You could make predictions about the next tournament or something, those are always fun. Well, I caught him at a bad time. I was visiting my aunt in Texas during the Cay Court Tournament, and I saw him in the parking lot, so I decided to try to talk to him for a little bit, but it seemed like he was in a hurry, but he did get a picture taken with me, so that was nice of him. Then when he was leaving, Marty Fish appeared out of no where and they went to the courts together.

Darn. Sharapova is a good player, but I've never been a fan of her. I don't really think it's necessary to grunt like she does, it seems like she's intentionally trying to mess up her opponent.

For some reason I never took a liking to Nadal, I'm not sure why. I'll be rooting for Tsonga as well. It must have been a pain for Nadal when his trainer made him play left handed though, I don't think I'd be able to do that very well. Well, the serving part, I can ground stroke left handed. That's too bad, but look at the bright side: at least one of them will make it, which is better than neither.

I suppose, but I'm not very familiar with other players, particularly the lower-ranked ones. Hey, can you cover the US Open for me? I mean, if you have the time. Oh wow, taking a picture with you even though he was in a hurry... that was really nice of him. And you saw Marty Fish too? That's really cool.

Yeah, quite a lot of people have a problem with Sharapova's grunting. In her match today with Ana Ivanovic, there were people holding up a banner saying "Quiet please, Sharapova!". But she said in an interview that the grunting was unintentional, that she doesn't notice herself grunting. She defeated Ivanovic in straight sets (7-5, 6-3).

Well, Nadal has this annoying habit of... erm... how am I supposed to put it? The local morning show said that he seems to have some kind of wedgie problem. They noticed this since last year and they think that someone should give him a new pair of undies... But that's not because why I dislike him! He wasn't really my favourite, even before I knew of his habit.

Anyways, it was a major upset when Tsonga defeated Nadal in straight sets! It was truly amazing. We all thought Nadal was going to turn the game around, but it never happened. It was more like Tsonga didn't give him the chance to.

What would have been the difference if they played in the finals instead of the semis? They both would have played exactly the same no matter what, so I don't know why you're crying about it.

I knew they would have played the same. It was just that I was planning to watch the finals in Rod Laver Arena instead on TV and I always thought that I'd attend it if it was either Federer or Djokovic (it would be better if both) in the finals. Since they both went against each other in the semis, I was thinking of attending the semis instead but I didn't because no one's available to come along with me and at least I wouldn't embarass myself when I go crazy watching the two... And I'm not crying about it, just really disappointed.

But wow, the semi-final was just amazing! Another total upset, Djokovic beating the world no. 1 in straight sets! 7-5 6-3 7-6, IIRC.

The_Panda
26th January 2008, 7:54 AM
The mens final will be interesting, seeing the semis were. I'm annoyed Sharapova won the women's, I hate those noises she makes.

blackrose
26th January 2008, 7:58 AM
Whats wrong with the noises she makes, thats what makes her, her.

I can't wait till the final novac djocovic(3) vs. jo wilfried tsonga(38)

The_Panda
26th January 2008, 8:08 AM
Whats wrong with the noises she makes, thats what makes her, her.

They're annoying and off-putting.

Cutty
26th January 2008, 10:40 AM
Woohoo, Go Novak! <3333

Def gonna watch his final.

blackrose
26th January 2008, 2:27 PM
i am also going for novac, but tsonga is really good.