PDA

View Full Version : The Bookworms Club V.2

Dark Arceus
16th January 2008, 8:29 PM
DO you enjoy reading? Do you want to discuss the latest good book you have read? Do you want talk about future books or great old books? Do you enjoy books with fiction, adventure, horror, animals, etc.?

Well, why not join this club!!!

Right then, the club has been resarted due to inactivity from the past owner, and we need an editable first page. Old members, I have mainly copied and pasted the rules from the old thread, but there are some new ones, so do check:

Here are the Rules:
1. Be kind and curteous to others.

2. Follow SPPF rules.

3. My pet hate is n00bs. Try not to be one, ok?

4. You MUST PM me or one of the co-owners if you want to join. This is so we know you've read the rules. If you post on the thread asking to join, you basically ruin your chances of joining, since you haven't read the rules. Old members do not have to do this.

5. Don't ask to be a co-owner. If a co-owner position becomes open, I will pick the best person for the job.

6. If you don't post for over a month without notifying me, you are deleted from the members list.

7. All members can create topics.

8. Most importantly, Have fun.

Members List:
Dark Arceus- The owner
Armored Dragon- Co-owner
palkia1- Co-owner
Paddster56
anime_aficionada
Monkey CP

NOTE: The first clearout has taken place. All members who have not posted on this thread (it's over a month old now) are going to be deleted from the member list. If you want to join again, PM me.

Enigma
17th January 2008, 2:57 PM
Thanks for restarting the club!

What was the last book you read for a book report at school?

The last one was Lord of the Flies, but I'm in the middle of reading A Tale of Two Cities for another assignment...Did you know Charles Dickens was paid by the amount of words he used in writing it? That would explain a lot...

palkia1
17th January 2008, 4:13 PM
Thanks for restarting the club Dark Arceus. I hope this gets a lot of activity

Well, i had to read Sophie's World a couple of years ago in year 10. Everyone else hated it but i liked the philosophical side of it. I finished it in a couple of days while everyone else took a month. I was like the only person in my class that liked to read.

In year 11 we had to read three novels and do a report but i decided to do mine on three of the Harry Potter books as i've read them heaps of time and knew them inside out. I would have read books normally but i was really sick and i only had the books at home to read

Dark Arceus
17th January 2008, 5:50 PM
That reminds me:

Palkia1, would you like to be co-owner? I forgot to ask on the last thread.

To answer the topic, Pygmalion, by George Bernard Shaw. In my opinion, a boredom inducer, especially the most anti-climatic ending ever...

DieChavsDie
17th January 2008, 9:00 PM
WOOP! New Thread (And Co-Owner Powers :D:D:D ;) )

We don't do "book report's" in England, but we have had to study different stories/plays for our GCSEs, and do Coursework on them, so I shall list them

Roses Of Eyam by Don Taylor (For Post 1914 Prose. A Play)
Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare (Cannot remember the precise "category" for Coursework this was. Pretty sure it was a "Shakespeare" in general)
Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Pre 1914-Prose)

mewmew202
17th January 2008, 9:42 PM
erm probably twas the Natural History of Dogs I needed a nonfiction for school and decided hey dogs are interesting. Boy was I wrong.
and thanks for having me in the club without the need to have the formal PMing and such. Saves me a load of time.

palkia1
18th January 2008, 1:42 AM
That reminds me:

Palkia1, would you like to be co-owner? I forgot to ask on the last thread.

To answer the topic, Pygmalion, by George Bernard Shaw. In my opinion, a boredom inducer, especially the most anti-climatic ending ever...

Yeah, i would like to be co-owner. I'm really glad that you restarted the club. Good job on that.

Dark Arceus
18th January 2008, 8:53 AM
Ok. I'll add you.

DieChavsDie, I live in Yorkshire, and I sort of do them.... Mainly just books we are working on in Class...

DieChavsDie
18th January 2008, 4:03 PM
Ive never had to do a book report. Maybe it varies. I live in Southampton, so maybe its a "North-South" thing

LordZero
23rd January 2008, 10:33 PM
Can't remember it has been way too long since I've truly done one of those.

Dark Arceus
24th January 2008, 8:48 AM
Right, time for a new topic:

Who is your favourite author?

Mine is Terry Deary, who writes the horrible histories books.

palkia1
24th January 2008, 9:41 AM

Mine is J.K. Rowling. I love the Harry Potter books. They are my favourite books by far. I also like Eoin Colfer, Emily Rodda, Andy Griffiths, Odo Hirsch and Michael Scott. They are the main authors that i read

Enigma
24th January 2008, 2:04 PM

I don't know. Unless I really, really enjoy a book and want to read other books by the same author, I don't usually notice the author of the book I'm reading.

DieChavsDie
24th January 2008, 5:54 PM
I have a load, but mostly from when I was younger.

Of books Im obsessed with now, JK Rowling, Anthony Horowitz and Eoin Colfer

mewmew202
24th January 2008, 9:44 PM
probably J.K. Rowling or Phillip Pullman. Lol

LordZero
28th January 2008, 5:05 AM
Favorite Author

Terry Brooks, Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman (together), Bernard Cornwell, and R. A. Salvatore.

Dark Arceus
20th February 2008, 7:30 PM
DEAD.....

Sorry if this is bumping an old club, but I want to keep it alive and it's not yet a month old...

Topic: Favourite Book Genre?

EDIT: Everyone say hi to our new member, Paddster56!

Enigma
20th February 2008, 7:38 PM
Sorry I've been inactive; I haven't had much time to read lately.

Favourite Book Genre?

Either fantasy or science fiction.

Dark Arceus
20th February 2008, 7:52 PM
Sorry I've been inactive; I haven't had much time to read lately.

Favourite Book Genre?

Either fantasy or science fiction.

It's ok. It's my fault the club's dead. I should have posted after Lord Zero but kept putting it off until I finally decided to do it. It's a hassle to search for a club that hasn't been posted in for a while anyway.

Paddster56
5th March 2008, 10:21 PM
Come on guys when i started looking at the clubs i saw you guys quite alot!

So Heres 3 topics

Whats your latest Book?

What is your favorite Book ?

If you could write a book what would it be about?

Dark Arceus
6th March 2008, 7:43 AM
Whats your latest Book?

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

What is your favorite Book ?

Tough...I'll say Harry Potter and The Goblet Of Fire.

I have no idea. Probably something to do with time-travelling.

palkia1
6th March 2008, 7:52 AM
Whats your latest Book?

The Alchemyst (By Michael Scott i believe)

What is your favorite Book?

Definitely Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. But the whole series are awesome.

Probably something to do with the future, and space travel, aliens etc. Although something about an alternate cybernetic world would be cool. Fantasy and dragons would also be cool to write

anime_aficionada
6th March 2008, 10:29 AM
Apologies to my dear brain for not joining this earlier than I have. But I hope with my belated post I can be legible enough to join. ^_^

Hm, mine would be Howl’s Moving Castle last year in 7th grade. It was alright, as it was written a decade or so before our time.

Who is your favo(/u)rite author?
I don’t know if anybody’s read the book by her, but her name’s Karen Roberts. I know that’s a common name, so I’ll give the title of one of her books and the blurb for some recollection.

July -

“Priyanthi Silva is born in Sri Lanka into a peaceful, loving Sinhalese family, but into a turbulent country dogged by religious and political tensions. She and her rebellious brother, Hemantha, grow up in Araliya Gardens, a tropical paradise full of orchids, araliyas and mango trees. Their neighbours Bala and Violet are Christian Tamils whose gentle, handsome son Niranjan is Hemantha’s best friend. When Priyanthi is older, the two families spend a holiday together by the sea. Priyanthi and Niranjan’s eyes are opened up to a strange world outside their protected existence. While Hemantha smokes cigarettes and chases girls, they meet Sena, a toddy tapper who swings through the coconut trees to collect sap, and surprises them with his quiet wisdom. Their friendship with him marks their lives indelibly. When Priyanthi and Niranjan return home they have fallen in love. But it is an unthinkable match to both their families, and to a society riven with ethnic divisions. On a hot July day that year the streets of Colombo explode into frenzied violence as mobs begin to hunt and murder Tamils and burn and loot their property. The dark secret Priyanthi and Niranjan have been hiding leads to betrayal and tragedy, as an inferno of hatred from which none of them will escape unscathed, overcomes their peaceful neighbourhood. This is a deeply moving, disturbing novel about families and lovers wrenched apart by deep racial and political divides.”

Reference (though not the best place; but it works): http://www.amazon.com/July-Karen-Roberts/dp/0297646435

Whats your latest Book?
Worm in the Blood by Thomas Bloor; and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Worm in the Blood is very easy to read, but I’ve been too busy to finish it all in one day. As for Dan Brown’s creations, I’ve been etching to read them since I started Middle School (6th Grade); but as I’ve been caught up in culturally and scholastically involved activities in and out of school, I’ve been putting it off until the start of school this year. I know, sad...T.T;;

What is your favo(/u)rite Book ?
Basically the same as above in “Who is your favourite author?”

Hm, I would write about a character as an embodiment of myself living in a recount of my life really; though sadly I’m not all that skilled as a writer.

Favourite Book Genre?
I have a whole range but the top my list would be Fantasy/Humour/Angst/Love/Tragedy/Factual Fiction. Yes that’s a whole lot, but I’m a very amiable reader; strangely enough. As you might have realised in both replies towards “Who’s your favo(/u)rite author?” and “What’s your favo(/u)rite book?”, I tend to read books about vast cultures from Roman, Greek, Asian, Indian etc – though if anybody has read or heard of a fiction book on a basis of Egyptian or Ancient Civilization reference – do tell me, cause I’ll be more than happy to read it - I don't mind FanFiction either.

I know that was rather long, but I’m a happy reader. ^_^

Sayonara, Keep Smiling (and reading)

a_a

Dark Arceus
6th March 2008, 4:49 PM
You're lucky you PMed me as well, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to join. However, i'll certainly be happy to have someone like you who takes a lot of time and consideration posting. Me, I'm just lazy. :)

anime_aficionada
6th March 2008, 9:36 PM
I know, I do read the rules, just sometimes I forget them. Lucky I remembered your one though. ^.^;;

And I think I've seen your name somewhere in PPf; either that or I'm just being dyslexic. xD

Anyways, on topic:

If you were a certain character in a book, what type of personality would you like to be?
I would say basically the same as my persona, but I'm better at sport and I have the ability to be courageous enough to stand up for myself. I usually tend to think about others' problems and help them out rather than tending to mine. T.T;;

Sayonara, Keep Smiling! :D

a_a

Dark Arceus
7th March 2008, 7:38 AM
What's PPf? I might be on it or not. I'm not sure.

If you were a certain character in a book, what type of personality would you like to be?

I'd be the same person as now as well.

anime_aficionada
7th March 2008, 9:24 AM
PokePlushie's Forum, but most people call it PPf for short.

Anyways, on topic:

Gah, we need more people on here. D: Hm, well, I could make another question. Sorry that it's pretty lame, but I was inspired by a performance task involving fairytales. I know; weird..

Who would you be if you were a fairytale character?
Okay, for one, I would not want to be Rapunzel. I have really long hair, and that's why most classmates call me 'that' as a nickname; ever since 3rd grade! Do you know how friggin annoying that is? 5 years - 5 YEARS, goddamnit.
Annnyways...^.^;; I guess I would like to be one of the sub characters like the Woodcutter in Litte Red Riding Hood or the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella - that way, it'll prevent me from kissing someone, and avoid being killed. Gah, this is so lame. xD

Well, at least we have a pivotal discussion.

Keep Smiling! :D

a_a

palkia1
7th March 2008, 9:52 AM

Probably the same as my real personality. That would be the best for me.

As for the other topic about fairytale characters, i wouldn't know. I don't really like any characters from fairy tales. They're all just handsome princes, toads, princesses, evil witches etc.

anime_aficionada
7th March 2008, 11:56 PM
Haha, nobody really loves fairytales anyways. I just came up with that since I was bored, and that's what my brain does when I have a performance task to do. Once, I remember my cousin and I had a partner task and we had to incorporate the phrase "I told you not to go over there!" - it ended up as a Bold and the Beautiful remake. I know; weird... xD

Dark Arceus
12th March 2008, 7:30 PM
New member, Monkey CP, new topic and new clearout:

Have you read the Series Of Unfortunate Events books? If so, did you like them?

Enigma
12th March 2008, 7:42 PM
Sorry for inactivity again; I'm still really busy.

Yes, and they were okay until the last book. Depressing, though.

anime_aficionada
19th March 2008, 6:55 AM
Gah, sorry for the belated post, school's been...hectic.

No, there was way too much hype over them and that's why I kinda detained the idea of doing so.

Dark Arceus
23rd March 2008, 5:06 PM
New topic:

Have you read the Harry Potter books? If so, did you like them?

Yes and Yes.

DieChavsDie
23rd March 2008, 5:20 PM
Sorry for the inactivity

Ive read and OWN them all. Theyre awesome. I would seriously reccommend them

Have you read the Harry Potter books? If so, did you like them?

*laughs to self at this question* If I said anything but YES I would be lying