PDA

View Full Version : Love. Is it a feeling, an action, or an attitude?

Heart of Ice
13th February 2008, 10:24 AM
I'm a Pokeshipper, so when I write, I have to ask myself, "What do I mean when I write this four letter word?" I ask you all, what's your opinion on love?

Warriorprincess
13th February 2008, 10:59 AM
I'm a Pokeshipper, so when I write, I have to ask myself, "What do I mean when I write this four letter word?" I ask you all, what's your opinion on love?

Love is probably the most intense conflicting emotion you can experience.
When you're in love it's a rollercoaster.
If you love somebody:
They can depress you with a word.
They can make you ecstatic with a word.
They can kiss you and make you feel as though you want this moment to last forever.
They can bump your thigh and you'll blush.
Their voice is the only thing you'll hang out to hear all day.
You'll be over the moon about the next time you see them.
They can distract you from a million problems when you're with them.
You would do anything for them.
Anything you previously thought/wanted/needed/lusted for could change the instant he speaks his opinion.

That's only one type of love.

Then you've got the love you feel for your family
And then you've got the love you feel for your friends.

Neither are as intense as the love you get with a boyfriend/girlfriend/lover/romantic partner.

They're just different.

Love can be expressed in actions without saying a word, and the way you look at the world and do things will change without your knowing the minute you fall in love...
They can be your everything.

Asaspades
13th February 2008, 4:40 PM
Love is probably the most intense conflicting emotion you can experience.
When you're in love it's a rollercoaster.
If you love somebody:
They can depress you with a word.
They can make you ecstatic with a word.
They can kiss you and make you feel as though you want this moment to last forever.
They can bump your thigh and you'll blush.
Their voice is the only thing you'll hang out to hear all day.
You'll be over the moon about the next time you see them.
They can distract you from a million problems when you're with them.
You would do anything for them.
Anything you previously thought/wanted/needed/lusted for could change the instant he speaks his opinion.

That's only one type of love.

Then you've got the love you feel for your family
And then you've got the love you feel for your friends.

Neither are as intense as the love you get with a boyfriend/girlfriend/lover/romantic partner.

They're just different.

Love can be expressed in actions without saying a word, and the way you look at the world and do things will change without your knowing the minute you fall in love...
They can be your everything.

Something tells me your in love right now...
an exellent desciption of imo

Love can be broken down into 4 parts.
1. sexuall attraction
2. affection
3. friendships/family
4. divine love (god, allah, jesus)

elements of each must be present in oreder to achieve "true love".

More abstract ways to describe love are trusting someone with your and trusting them not to break it, an indescribable passion for someone, or just simply a "magical feeling".

Love can also be described as chemicals in your body sending the emotional part of your brain messages in order to attract you to your best suited partner. Quetions still remain such as "How can your brain know who your most compatable with?", " " Is there such thing as true love?", and "Why are there so many negative consequences of the feeling of being in love?"

Hakajin
13th February 2008, 7:17 PM
That's a good question! I think it's a lot of everything.

I think love begins with a feeling. I don't necessarily mean a romantic feeling, just liking someone and wanting the best for him/her. Because of that, you want to make sure that person is happy. Love without feeling is... well, I guess you could still call it love in a sense. I mean, you can love someone without liking him/her, just by not wishing him/her ill. I think that's what the Bible means when it says "Love thy enemy." But love the kind of love we're talking about can't exist without feeling, and without action, it's meaningless. I think your attitude toward other people in general also affects how you love.

Love and attraction are not equal. You can love someone and also be attracted to him/her, but it attraction doesn't necessarily mean love. That kind of passion doesn't last, and if there's nothing left, the relationship won't work.

Also, attraction can make you possessive of that other person. True love is unconditional, it doesn't ask for anything in return. Of course, that can be very hard to do...

Profesco
13th February 2008, 8:03 PM
Philosophically speaking, love is the desire for the virtue of a thing. We have an innate sense of the "good" concepts, for example beauty, justice, honesty, etc. When something contains a virtue, or any manifestation of one of the "good" concepts, we recognize this and so desire to have that thing or to be related to it in some way.

Biologically and psychologically speaking, attraction and even love have been studied extensively. In terms of attraction, a man will be attracted to a woman whose hips are wider than her waist because it signifies good fertility and birth conditions. Likewise, women used to overwhelmingly be attracted to men with facial and chest hair, as it showed virility. Of course as that no longe appears to be the case, it brings cultural and societal shifts into the process. You've all heard of pheromones, right? Well, humans produce these chemicals as well. In fact, smell plays a big part in mate-choosing.

My memory is withholding a few random hours of my life from me, so I will return with more info.

Hakajin
13th February 2008, 9:37 PM
Yeah, but I don't think attraction even figures into the equation. I mean, sure, attraction sometimes accompanies love, and even inspires love, but it's not equal to love. I guess my opinion is that action is what's most important in love. That means listening to the other person, accepting his/her faults as well as your own, doing things for and supporting him/her... It takes work, but it's all about give and take. Attraction is usually necessary for romantic love, but like I said, it's just extra. What really lasts, even in that kind of relationship, is companionship and friendship.

Profesco
13th February 2008, 11:48 PM
Well, the OP was asking about love as an emotion, too. I'm just trying to put it into a biological perspective. Emotions are within the realm of biology and psychology, and attraction is the initial component of love. Not just sexual attraction, mind you, but the emotion/instinct/value that draws you to any one given person.

KetchupO
15th February 2008, 2:33 AM
4. divine love (god, allah, jesus)
Allah is just the Arabic word for God. They're the same thing.

Anyway what love to me is a feeling that can't really be describe in words.
If I had to I'd say;

Love is when you love someone so much you can't stop thinking about them.
Love is when you'de die to protect that person.
Love is when you're willing to do anything to make that person feel better.
Love is when you can't stand to see a person cry.
Love is when you'd walk to the ends of the world and defy all the laws of life just for that one special person.
Love is a feeling so strong it causes pain.
Love is when you could never imagine hurting that person.
Love is when you'd stop everything you're doing and just have that person as your one focus.
Love is when you place that person above all and make them your very first priority in all you do.
Love is when you're not embarrassed to express your feelings to a person.
Love is when you want it to be known that YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE and you are not ashamed of who that is.
Love is when no matter how much bad-shape a person is in, you see them as the most beautiful thing in life.
Love is when all you want to do is hold that person in your arms and never let go.
Love is a feeling that makes you crazy.

That's what Love is to me :p

Sexual attraction isn't love it's lust. (you can argue otherwise but I will still think the same xD)
Love of an object however is a completely different story.

Asaspades
15th February 2008, 2:49 AM

yah i know, im just including it

Cipher
15th February 2008, 2:57 AM
"Shipping" and actual love are about as removed from each other as Guitar Hero is from real guitar.

So, in conclusion, hormones.

Hakajin
15th February 2008, 4:58 AM
I dunno, a lot of the feelings are similar. I'm not going to say they're exactly the same, but... The first feelings of infatuation are definitely there. Shipping can really send me for a loop. Then, as time goes on, you still enjoy thinking about it, even though you don't get the same emotional high that you used to. It also tends to serve as a comfort, something that calms you down when things are rough. It's really upsetting if something happens to make you think it's been spoiled for you, because you think about it so much that you don't really know how to stop thinking about it. And you really do get attached to the characters. They become really real to you. Even if the characters start out flat, in your head they take on really complex personalities. Then there's always the matter of projection...

I'm just saying, when you take shipping really seriously, there is a lot of emotion involved. I've been an obsessive Pokeshipper for what, nine years now? Call it sad or whatever you want, but there are some definite parallels. It's falling in love with a fantasy, an ideal, but the emotion and the... I don't want to say dedication, but... commitment? I dunno, but it's there.

Warriorprincess
15th February 2008, 12:08 PM

Anyway what love to me is a feeling that can't really be describe in words.
If I had to I'd say;

Love is when you love someone so much you can't stop thinking about them.
Love is when you'de die to protect that person.
Love is when you're willing to do anything to make that person feel better.
Love is when you can't stand to see a person cry.
Love is when you'd walk to the ends of the world and defy all the laws of life just for that one special person.
Love is a feeling so strong it causes pain.
Love is when you could never imagine hurting that person.
Love is when you'd stop everything you're doing and just have that person as your one focus.
Love is when you place that person above all and make them your very first priority in all you do.
Love is when you're not embarrassed to express your feelings to a person.
Love is when you want it to be known that YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE and you are not ashamed of who that is.
Love is when no matter how much bad-shape a person is in, you see them as the most beautiful thing in life.
Love is when all you want to do is hold that person in your arms and never let go.
Love is a feeling that makes you crazy.

That's what Love is to me :p

Sexual attraction isn't love it's lust. (you can argue otherwise but I will still think the same xD)
Love of an object however is a completely different story.

Love can be confused with Lust because they're so similar... how can you know you're in love? You might be intensely attracted to this person, but how can you know the moment it becomes more?

Monk76
16th February 2008, 7:33 PM
Love is a chemical reaction in the brain. Anything more we attribute to it is a product of our own self delusion.