PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon that have the same 'pkm cry'

Quzo
20th February 2008, 4:09 PM
I was looking though my PC once and I found 3 pairs of pokemon that appear to have the same 'pokemon cry'. These pairs are:

Slobro and Growlithe
Machop and Omaynite
Pinser and Chansey

And Hitmonchans cry is very similer to Lickitung

If you don't belive me check you're in game pokedex or PC; also excuse me if i'm wrong but I don't think I am. There maybe more pairs but I reckon they'll only be from the 1st gen.

We're on the 4th gen of pkm and nintendo hasn't spotted these errors?!...!!!!

!!-Eevee-!!
20th February 2008, 4:32 PM
I don't think Pinsir and Chansey are the same.

~Eevee

Blazios
20th February 2008, 4:35 PM
Caterpie and Goldeen.
Rhyhorn and Charizard.
Slowbro and Machamp.

The list goes on...

I don't think Pinsir and Chansey are the same.

You thought correctly.

Brettt
20th February 2008, 4:39 PM
Mewtwo sounds very similar to another, I can't remember what is was though.

Quzo
20th February 2008, 4:50 PM
I knew it Ryhorn and Charizard.

When will nintendo fix these glitches? There soooooo ovbious.

Blazios
20th February 2008, 4:51 PM
When will nintendo fix these glitches? There soooooo ovbious.

They won't fix them, because they're not glitches.

Charaligatr
20th February 2008, 5:06 PM
According to bulbapedia:

"Despite there being 151 Pokémon in Generation I, there are only 37 completely different cries in the game. However, different Pokémon's cries are either pitched up, down, faster, slower, or disable one of the sound channels, making it harder to recognize. For example, Charmander and Charmeleon's cries are the same, but an instruction in the game tells the pitch for Charmeleon to be lower than Charmander's. Despite this, some Pokémon share the exact same cry with no sound tweaking, such as Charizard and Rhyhorn. In Generation II, there were 30 new cries introduced, applying to the same rules as before."

Never knew that. T'is true that you learn something new everyday.

Anyways, everybody is used to the crys now. It would be weird if Ryhorns was changed after all these years. Besides, if they didn't sort it out in the 2nd gen, then theres not much hope that they will now.

Xweek
20th February 2008, 5:12 PM
Paras sounds like...a lot of Pokemon. Mostly lengendary Pokemon.

AJ Flibble
20th February 2008, 5:51 PM

Paras, probably.

Porygon2 and Girafarig have always sounded a little similar to me, somehow.

SilverDragon7683
20th February 2008, 6:30 PM
According to bulbapedia:

"Despite there being 151 Pokémon in Generation I, there are only 37 completely different cries in the game. However, different Pokémon's cries are either pitched up, down, faster, slower, or disable one of the sound channels, making it harder to recognize. For example, Charmander and Charmeleon's cries are the same, but an instruction in the game tells the pitch for Charmeleon to be lower than Charmander's. Despite this, some Pokémon share the exact same cry with no sound tweaking, such as Charizard and Rhyhorn. In Generation II, there were 30 new cries introduced, applying to the same rules as before."

Intresting. Should have figured as much though.

On the subject, I believe that Torchick and Bonsley sound the same. I'll have to double check, but I know there was something that sounded like Torchick.

Ryan singh ubhi hss
20th February 2008, 6:31 PM
Listen to a dittos cry and a poliwags cry.they are in fact the same!It works on my pokemon pearl.

Yo Shee
20th February 2008, 7:21 PM
Diglett and Doduo sound very similar, but slightly different.
Caterpie and Goldeen sound exactly the same.
Dewgong and Lickitung sound similar.
Chansey and Pidgeot sound similar.

magic_eevee
20th February 2008, 7:28 PM
I'm not sure, but i think vileplume and
airodaktil's (or whatever you spell it) cry sounds the same.

palkia1
20th February 2008, 11:19 PM
Rhyhorn and Charizard is the obvious one in my opinion but there are some really similar that i can't remember

Sigh!
20th February 2008, 11:44 PM
Delibirds and lugias was similar in mah Gold Game

Quzo
21st February 2008, 11:12 AM
They won't fix them, because they're not glitches.

How come It seems so wierd that so many pokemon have the same cry. R/B/Y where full of glitches like the Mew glitch and M' glitch etc. These pokemon where in these games.

Yonowaru in Chaos
21st February 2008, 11:19 AM
porygon and victreebel sound the same, but porygon sounds more simple. parasect sounds like mewtwo.

also, drowzee, hypno, exeggcutor and jynx all share the same type of cry but jynx lasts the longest.

the rby eeveelutions have the same type of cry, i think.

zubat, golbat and crobat don't exactly have the same cry but it sounds a bit musical if you play them in a row. hehe i'm wierd.

also, pokemon having the same/similar cry is not a glitch. as far as i'm concerned, the developers may have wanted the cries to be similar. and i dont want them to change, they sound too cool with their 1st gen ways.

Quzo
21st February 2008, 11:41 AM
You may have a point there. They could've made them the same/similer on purpose.

Frozir
21st February 2008, 11:47 AM
It's not easy for nintendo to make 493 different cries, not to mention making a suitable voice for each pokemon.

Though some of the pokemon may share the same cries, the cries actually fits in right for both pokemon, so I don't see a problem there.

Yonowaru in Chaos
21st February 2008, 11:58 AM
It is actually quite easy (albeit a little painstaking) to create 493 different cries on the DS games now that the sound quality sounds much better than before. But then, it is pretty hard to create 151 pokemon cries using only what sounds the Game Boy could produce and make them sound completely different.

I'm not saying that they should completely redo all the first 251 pokemon whose cries sound too old. In fact, I hate the fact that many game reviewers these days criticise the fact that diamond and pearl still uses the old game boy cries. They don't know anything!

Dragodynamite
21st February 2008, 12:54 PM
Scizor, Girafarig & Heracross all is same just a different tone.

Yonowaru in Chaos
21st February 2008, 12:58 PM
they don't sound the same at all. girafarig is similar with porygon2 but the three you said don't sound the same at all.

Mario-Sonic
21st February 2008, 1:46 PM
Pidgeotto and Pidgeot have similar cries, but at different pitches. They're also comparable to Chansey's cry.

Charizard and Rhyhorn seem to have completely identical cries. Tauros and Crobat have similar cries, but at different pitch levels.

Machop's and Omanyte's cries also sound alike, but Omanyte's has a slightly higher pitch.

Quzo
21st February 2008, 5:10 PM
A couple days ago I didn't think there where that many pokemon with very similer crys but people have been making all sorts of claims, its crazy. I'm suprised by the amount of similarites. Some seem to be the same cry but with just a change in pitch.

Note: Practicly all claims for pokemon with similer crys come from 1st gen.

aerisLana
21st February 2008, 5:27 PM
Aerodactyl & Vileplume's cry sounds same to me.

And also, Glaceon's cry sounds like the mix of Uxie, Mesprit & Azlef's cries (or maybe just two of them). I dunno if I'm the only one who noticed this. O.o

Luxray_Masta_211
21st February 2008, 8:25 PM
Rhyhorn and Charizard.
Machop and Omanyte.
Ditto and Poliwag.
Kadabra and Alakazam.
Vileplume and Aerodactyl.
Pidgeot and Chansey (just by a little).
Glaceon and Azelf (or Mesprit or Uxie).

Has anyone noticed that all the Pokémon with the same cry are in the 1st gen, save Glaceon and Azelf?

THE ONE THE ONLY...AIPOM
21st February 2008, 8:48 PM
And also, Glaceon's cry sounds like the mix of Uxie, Mesprit & Azlef's cries (or maybe just two of them). I dunno if I'm the only one who noticed this. O.o

You're not.

I always thought Ditto and Poliwag sounded the same.

Larry
21st February 2008, 9:03 PM
well i know rhyhorn and charizard...

Eclipse
22nd February 2008, 4:24 AM
I think it's a bit cheap to make them exactly the same. I mean, the Charmander-Charmeleon thing works, but otherwise, no.

Quzo
22nd February 2008, 6:21 AM
I think it's a bit cheap to make them exactly the same. I mean, the Charmander-Charmeleon thing works, but otherwise, no.

You're right. It shows that they couldn't be bothered to give every pkm in 1st gen a unique pkm cry.

chuboy
22nd February 2008, 6:31 AM
Maybe when they chose not to, they didn't think that ten years later people would be complaining about it. For goodness' sake! What does it matter? It's just a tiny 8-bit sound wave that contributes no meaningful thing to the gameplay.

Since at the time Pokemon had not taken off, I suppose they didn't really think it necessary to waste funds on composing 151 different unique sounds (you try it).

Quzo
22nd February 2008, 6:42 AM
Yeah I guess. Pokemon could've ended like digimon and then this site wouldn't even exsist. :(

grounder
22nd February 2008, 6:44 AM
I've noticed this for a while. What bulbapedia says makes sense on account of how inexperienced Game Freak used to be in developing video games, though they could have let Missingno and the Mew glitch through to make it better, as there's a Pokedex entry for Missingno in Ruby/Sapphire.

Another one, perhaps? How about Chimchar and Mespirit/Azelf/Uxie?

Groudonny the groundstar
22nd February 2008, 6:51 AM
Torchic and Bonsly! Listen to the different pitch.

Quzo
22nd February 2008, 6:53 AM
I've noticed this for a while. What bulbapedia says makes sense on account of how inexperienced Game Freak used to be in developing video games, though they could have let Missingno and the Mew glitch through to make it better, as there's a Pokedex entry for Missingno in Ruby/Sapphire.

Another one, perhaps? How about Chimchar and Mespirit/Azelf/Uxie?

Minsingno pokedex entry in R/S? Is it that bad egg thing?

I own a few bad eggs on my sappire but the won't hatch even with cheating and I can't release them.

grounder
22nd February 2008, 7:02 AM
Minsingno pokedex entry in R/S? Is it that bad egg thing?

I own a few bad eggs on my sappire but the won't hatch even with cheating and I can't release them.
The Missingno I'm talking about is shaped like an empty Pokedex entry in R/S. Still #000 and has a brief part about Missingno being 'studied', from what I remember. And even if you do get the bad eggs to hatch, they'll freeze your game because they're essentially a punishment for using cheating devices...

Anyway, I digress. Shouldn't we make a list of all the similar sounding Pogeys?

RYKUU
22nd February 2008, 7:07 AM
Torchic and Bonsly! Listen to the different pitch.

just listened to it the do sound similar.

Quzo
22nd February 2008, 7:09 AM
A list of pkm with very similer crys would be interesting.

SuperStarly
22nd February 2008, 7:18 AM

Parasect? That's what I was thinking...

Kiruria
22nd February 2008, 11:00 AM
Other similarities:

Ditto/Poliwag/Jigglypuff
Poliwhirl/Wigglytuff
Metapod/Abra (Metapod is slightly higher-pitched, but...)
Kadabra/Alakazam (It's really hard to tell these apart...)
Jolteon/Flareon (Flareon's is Jolteon's, sped up a little bit)
Zapdos's cry sounds like Shellder's, with the pitch turned way up.
Raikou/Manectric (Manectric's is a little longer, but...)

Vycksta
22nd February 2008, 6:20 PM
Empoleon and Luxray. If you listen very closely they do follow the same "cry pattern", just in different pitches.

Quzo
23rd February 2008, 10:21 AM
Hmm maybe. I should try that.

Yonowaru in Chaos
23rd February 2008, 10:24 AM
so why not make a list at the start of the thread?

Quzo
24th February 2008, 11:26 AM
Thats nice an idea but I knew there would be lots of debate so if I tryed to do a complete list of pkm then there would more arguing about things I missed out and stuff I guess.

{(•)___(•)}
24th February 2008, 7:35 PM
Mewtwo, Mew, Paararsect, and Starmie all sound similar.

Dratiini, Dragonair, and Dragonite are the same but at different pitches.

Caterpie, Butterfree, and goldeen

kelvSYC
24th February 2008, 7:42 PM
Personally, Spearow and Espeon sound similar.

But this thing won't be resolved until they do something drastic like use the anime voices in G5 instead of cries.

Metal Bird
24th February 2008, 7:47 PM
I agree on most of the ones that are mentioned. I even think Pelipper sounds like Peter Griffin.

Quzo
25th February 2008, 7:36 AM
I agree on most of the ones that are mentioned. I even think Pelipper sounds like Peter Griffin.

lol, I don't think Peliper sounds like him.

33Ri3
25th February 2008, 1:32 PM
parasect & mewtwo.
jynx & hypno
caterpie & goldeen
charizard & rhydon
others have different pitches to them

Dark SpOOn Bender
25th February 2008, 2:09 PM
jynx & hypno

Actually, I never heard a similarity between them until now. Hypno really just sounds like a sped up version of jynx, lol.

Truthfully, these things have annoyed me since the years of r/b/y. I never really cared if a pokemon's cry sounded similar to a previous evolution, like charmeleon sounds similar to charmander, since they are related, but when the pokemon sounds incredibly similar to another species' cry that always struck me as laziness. I mean, I know there were more limitations to the games back then, but still...

Jerre
25th February 2008, 4:23 PM
Porygon2 sounds the same like Girafarig. Only that Porygon2's cry is more digital. Hence it's species: "Virtual Pokémon"

Quzo
25th February 2008, 7:10 PM
I hadn't thougt about that 1. They do actualy sound quite similer...I guess.

Mario-Sonic
25th February 2008, 8:18 PM
Metagross and Rampardos seem to have similar cries at first glance.

Quzo
26th February 2008, 5:09 PM
I dunno. I don't think they do.

Walking Contradiction
26th February 2008, 5:27 PM
Hypno really just sounds like a sped up version of jynx, lol.
Wait a sec... it does! But generally the Pokemon cries don't concern me, since I never play with sound on.

Narumaru
26th February 2008, 5:34 PM
Why can't the voices of pokemon be the same as the anime?

Affirmative
26th February 2008, 7:08 PM
Goldeen and Caterpie.

mewfan1
26th February 2008, 7:10 PM
Mew & Mewtwo's cries are almost the same, only Mew's is a little higher than Mewtwo.

Pamizard
26th February 2008, 7:45 PM
Charizard and Rhyhorn sound exactly the same

According to my hearing it seems like Venusaur and Dragonite almost have the same sound too.

I can't think of others

Volteon
26th February 2008, 7:50 PM
Mewtwo and Parasect is legendary =P

Horsea and Meowth are very similar too. Can't remember more now ...

And Exeggutor + Jynx. Exeggutor is just played slower.

Blazios
26th February 2008, 7:50 PM
Rotom and Chimchar seem a bit similar to me.

Quzo
27th February 2008, 7:45 AM
According to my hearing it seems like Venusaur and Dragonite almost have the same sound too.

They are actually very similer it not just your that sneses that.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy
27th February 2008, 6:51 PM
It's just a glitch, methinks, but one time my Metapod made the sound of a Gastly in RBY 0_o

Quzo
28th February 2008, 8:34 AM
It's just a glitch, methinks, but one time my Metapod made the sound of a Gastly in RBY 0_o

Thats what I thought but apprently nintento could've done it on purpose. Considering all the other glitches in R/B/Y I think its unlikley that they did it on purpose. I think it was a glitch; I reckon nintendo thought it was too late to change a few sounds by the time they noticed (something along those lines).

RottingMisery
28th February 2008, 3:40 PM
Every Pokemon's cry is in some way different... Some are just taken from the same noise then changed in lenghth and frequency.

Venusaurus
28th February 2008, 7:56 PM
R\B\Y has a ton of eerie glitches. But lets face it. No pokemon has EXACTLY the same cry as another but they can sound VERY similar.

Metal Force
28th February 2008, 8:02 PM
They're kindda a lol for me, and they probably won't change them now anyway.

Celtic Warrior
28th February 2008, 8:05 PM
It is actually quite easy (albeit a little
In fact, I hate the fact that many game reviewers these days criticise the fact that diamond and pearl still uses the old game boy cries. They don't know anything! Right. I'm sure reviewers who have been doing their jobs for years haven't a slight idea about the difference of Pokemon cries. >_>

Affirmative
28th February 2008, 11:19 PM
Aerodactyl and Vileplume sound kinda similar.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy
28th February 2008, 11:24 PM
Also, is it just me, or do Onix and Magikrap sound just like each other?

Affirmative
29th February 2008, 2:58 AM

It's not just you. I sorta thought that as well.

And if you really think about it, Chansey and Pidgeot...

Quzo
29th February 2008, 7:39 AM
Yeah Chansey and Pigeot are kinda similer.

Mario-Sonic
29th February 2008, 12:18 PM

Amusingly, I thought Onix and Gyarados had similar cries. Gyarados' cry ended earlier though.

Quzo
29th February 2008, 6:02 PM
Amusingly, I thought Onix and Gyarados had similar cries. Gyarados' cry ended earlier though.

Yeah they are similer but Onyx is much lower pitched.

swampertforever
1st March 2008, 6:57 PM
Ho-Oh and tyrogue

The Lemonkraken
1st March 2008, 7:30 PM
Gyrados & Ekans sound kind of similar.

Quzo
2nd March 2008, 7:18 PM
Ho-oh and tyrouge sre kinda similer but tyrouge is storter (I think).

espeon_155
3rd March 2008, 5:14 AM
In my opinion is that pokemon dont have the same cry, they have similar cries. besides eveyone interprets sounds differently, that maybe why.

E4 Edo
3rd March 2008, 5:18 AM
Mewtwo and Paras sound kinda alike

woot21
3rd March 2008, 5:22 AM
I've noticed this a lot in my Blue version recently. It's even better when the alert sound for your Pokemon having low HP is sounding, because then it just throws all the rules out the window, and a lot of them sound exactly the same. I think the wailing somehow cancels out certain triggers for the cries.

woot21 out dawgs

pokey
3rd March 2008, 5:26 AM
Mew and paras
Mewtwo and Parasect

Ampharos_Spark
3rd March 2008, 5:33 AM
Lugia and Blaziken sound similar. Blaziken sounds deeper though and maybe a bit shorter.

Quzo
3rd March 2008, 6:36 AM
Mew and paras
Mewtwo and Parasect

They do actually for some reason.

Yonowaru in Chaos
3rd March 2008, 6:41 AM
what, like EXACTLY the same?

Quzo
3rd March 2008, 7:33 AM
The cry of the pkm in the games. Although some have a slightly different pitch.

MrPokeDude
12th April 2008, 6:13 PM
Wartortle and Tauros might have a same cry.

Quzo
12th April 2008, 6:52 PM
I think this thread has been 'bumped' but back on topic; and I don't think they do. Maybe at first glance they do but if you listen closley they don't.

razor fire
12th April 2008, 7:29 PM
wigglytuff and poliwhirl has almost the same sound.

Sam Anything
12th April 2008, 7:37 PM
CHANSEY AND PIGDEOT(y)

Turtwig.owns
12th April 2008, 8:07 PM
It has always been pretty obvious that most all Pokemon had the same cry at different frequencies and Pitches. I wish they would do their cries like they do in the anime though, where they say part or all of their name.

Commander Blitzkrieg
12th April 2008, 8:33 PM
Wigglytuff and Poliwhirl
Delibird and Lugia (Delibird's is much faster and higher, but it actually sounds alike if yu slow it down)

LegendaryRotom
13th April 2008, 1:58 AM
Dragonite and Ivysaur...I think.O_o

And Ho-oh's cry sounds like the evolved form of Tyroge.(In game)

hello moto
13th April 2008, 2:04 AM
Most of the Pokemon family evos sound the same but just made a bit a different, especially in the first gen.
The most obvious one is Charmander and Squirlte line.

XxDeathSkull
13th April 2008, 2:19 AM
mewtwo n paresect have the same cry

Meg Is Hoenn's Champ
13th April 2008, 2:23 AM
I've never really noticed their cries sounding similiar...

jhammers2
13th April 2008, 3:40 AM
Rhyhorn and Charizard

Sonic The Hedgedawg
13th April 2008, 4:20 AM

he sounds like parasect

noobers
13th April 2008, 4:26 AM
Girafarig and Porygon2.

lvl 100 Charizard
13th April 2008, 9:47 AM
All the deoxys' sound the same lol.
hehe. really i think parasect and mewtwo sound the same, but I never noticed mew and paras...

Vycksta
13th April 2008, 2:13 PM
Empoleon and Luxray. If you listen very closely they do follow the same "cry pattern", just in different pitches.... and to add onto this post, fling Mesprit in the mix as well. All three have the same cry just in very different pitches. ;B

runka
13th April 2008, 2:26 PM
For some reason or other,Persian and Raichu sound similar to me.Lol...cat and Mouse.

Affirmative
13th April 2008, 4:13 PM
Wingull and Natu sound kinda similar.

Quzo
13th April 2008, 7:14 PM
I think mewtwo and paracept are similer. But there are other pkm in gen 1 that have exactly the same cry.

I also think thier cries should be like the 1s in the ainme.

Affirmative
13th April 2008, 7:20 PM
I also think thier cries should be like the 1s in the ainme.

I disagree. Who wants a game where animals say their names all the time?

Anyway...Regirock's is sort of an extended version of Dusclops' in my opinion.

Missingno.Fan
13th April 2008, 7:32 PM
I always found it funny that Mewtwo and Parasect have the same cry.

Quzo
13th April 2008, 7:34 PM
I disagree. Who wants a game where animals say their names all the time?

Anyway...Regirock's is sort of an extended version of Dusclops' in my opinion.

Well some of the anime cires can be pretty lame. But I also think they should sort out the errors with the existing cries and not have 2 or more pkm with exactly the same cry.

Kabutopzilla
13th April 2008, 7:42 PM
Slobro and Growlithe
Machop and Omaynite
Pinser and Chansey

...Sorry if I'm a little late to be the first to correct you.

1. No. Growlithe's is higher pitched.
2. No. Omanyte's is a different pattern of notes.
3. No. Pinsir's is lower pitched.

I'm positive someone's said this already...but Rhyhorn and Charizard.

KnightofRawr
13th April 2008, 9:13 PM
Im listening to all the ones mentioned here and im shocked about how similer they are!

Quzo
14th April 2008, 9:01 PM
I know most of them are pretty similer other are just wierd in that people think their similer.

hobby
15th April 2008, 3:23 AM
Wow this takes me back, but when i think about it even the ones that sound exactly the same are, on closer inspection, slightly different, although they are so similar the difference seems to be irrelevant

Quzo
15th April 2008, 7:39 PM
Yeah I know, I thought a lot of the 1st gen cries where similer to each other but some people disagree but the different is so tiny (if any)it's not worth noting.

PurpleMew
15th April 2008, 7:45 PM
alot of the cries are similar but just one or two notes changed

Emperor Giratina
15th April 2008, 7:46 PM
Hmm... Let's see now... Vileplume and Aerodactyl bear a great resemblence between their cries (they're almost the same!) and same is the case with Machop and Omanyte! ^_^

Quzo
15th April 2008, 7:57 PM
alot of the cries are similar but just one or two notes changed

Thats just what I'm talking about. It's such a minor differance that it seems that theres no differance at all.