PDA

View Full Version : Anticonsumerism

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:10 PM
I hate consumerism. I hate companies running the US government. I hate it that Wal Mart takes advantage of Chinese people and slaves, and Mexicans, and any one that they can pay less than minimum wage.

GentleArtillery
27th March 2008, 9:17 PM
I hate mass consumption, but I'm a mass consumer myself. Hypocrisy, no one can avoid it. I'm mainly over consuming foods.
Why I dislike consumerism is mainly because all consumption has some not so desirable effects against our environment. Though, I really don't know why I care so much about the environment.

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:19 PM
It is kind of hard to avoid, but it's not impossible. Although it's very close.

Chozo
27th March 2008, 9:21 PM
You know Infernape, if you're going to link us your website you might as well be honest.

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:22 PM
I tried. Oh well. Sure, that's me.
Did you really have to bring that up?

Chozo
27th March 2008, 9:24 PM
I tried. Oh well. Sure, that's me.
Did you really have to bring that up?

Look at this site; I really think this guy knows his stuff:
www.freewebs.com/livebylarry

You want to rage against The Man™, Big Media™, and The Corporations™ but you don't have the honesty to tell us the opinions on that site are your own? Why should I take anything you have to say seriously?

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:25 PM
Do you see now why I pretended it wasn't me?

Chozo
27th March 2008, 9:27 PM
Do you see now why I pretended it wasn't me?

Yes, because you're either

1. Trying to advertise your site
2. Trying to pass your site off as a definitive, credible source of information for you to use in a debate when you know it isn't

So, which is it?

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:29 PM
Neither. See, some people would agree with these views until people know who I was, and then, would view my opinions dfferently because of it.

Chozo
27th March 2008, 9:32 PM
Neither. See, some people would agree with these views until people know who I was, and then, would view my opinions dfferently because of it.

Which would work if

1. You weren't 11 years old
2. You were capable of advanced grammatical concepts such as "the paragraph"
3. You didn't get your political philosophy from a Rage Against the Machine album

In summary: you tried to deceive people in a debate forum in a pathetically misguided attempt for e-cred. You failed. Please come back when you are less stupid.

The_Panda
27th March 2008, 9:46 PM
I hate consumerism. I hate companies running the US government. I hate it that Wal Mart takes advantage of Chinese people and slaves, and Mexicans, and any one that they can pay less than minimum wage.

You obviously have little idea about free market economics either. If we actually have a look at the statistics, free trade around the world regardless of pay increases the average wealth of normal people in those countries. Remaining isolated and blocking the intrusion of corporations doesn't. Look at the statistics comparing the miracle of East Asia to the lack of miracle in Sub-Saharan Africa. Forty years ago; they were equally as poor more or less. However countries in East Asia, like China, South Korea, etc, took on the free market, importing goods like coal etc very cheaply and exporting consumer goods very quickly. Both countries have amazing rates of growth in the wealth of their citizens. This contrasts to much of Sub-Saharan Africa which until recently didn't embrace free trade, having very stagnant poverty levels. China has more or less been saved by foreign investment. It's definitely the best way to fight poverty - simply because it's attractive for those who do fight it and not a drain on their resources like direct aid is.

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:49 PM
Which would work if

1. You weren't 11 years old

Right there. Right there. An age bias.

Ethan
28th March 2008, 1:53 AM
What about the morality of this? Sure it might be an effective method, but look at China and many other Asian countries that manufacture a sell our products. Child labor laws there are virtually non-existent, children there work for hardly anything. In fact I bet the shirt your wearing right now was most likley made in an Asian sweatshop.

InfernapeIZCool
28th March 2008, 1:57 AM
In fact I bet the shirt your wearing right now was most likley made in an Asian sweatshop.
Nope. Score one for me.