PDA

View Full Version : One world government?

Lien (Im not edible)
27th March 2008, 9:34 PM
Wow its been ages since ive posted here, but anyway heres something ive been wondering about.
One world government. Do you think we will ever see a one? Do you think its a good idea?

Discuss

ImJessieTR
27th March 2008, 9:47 PM
Kind of like what we have now? Or do you mean something different? Show us what you think first and then we can reply.

pirate555
27th March 2008, 9:52 PM
I don't think it would be possible to have a World Government... Great as it sounds to have one, the dream being that it would lead to peace as there's no two goverments to declare war with each other, it just wouldn't work out like that. Different nations, religions and cultures often have completely different ideals, so it'd be impossible for them to work together to pass laws and get things done.

If somehow it occurred, I think you'd end up with different areas factioning off from the world government and recreating countries, until you ended up pretty much with what you started with.

And imagine the infighting and the effect of a potential worldwide civil war :s

Pirate

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 9:52 PM
I think it'd be a great idea, cause then there'd be absolutely no disputes between nations.

The_Panda
27th March 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea. Having one bulky bureaucratic institution running every one wouldn't work. And it would be a magnet for corruption too.

Ethan
27th March 2008, 10:52 PM
It depends on what you mean by world government. Do you mean like one fully integrated country? Like say Madagascar(lol.) takes over the world and everything is Madagascar? Or on the other hand where the entire world is controled by one central government but the lands they rule over have varying politics and some freedoms but are still under the control of a larger power? (Soviet Union, British Empire, Roman empire.)

Hmm. Did I explain myself well here?

InfernapeIZCool
27th March 2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea. Having one bulky bureaucratic institution running every one wouldn't work. And it would be a magnet for corruption too.
The US government is so corrupted, they make the 1919 cubs look like angels. It can't possibly get any worse.

Poliwag2
28th March 2008, 12:12 AM
Diseconomies of scale.

Conquistador
28th March 2008, 1:37 AM
Unless all of a sudden we turn into part of an intergalactic network of other planets, like Star Wars, I doubt we'll be seeing any sort of World Government any time soon.

CharizardAngel
28th March 2008, 1:58 AM
It'd be impossible. No one would agree on anything and nothing would get done. Where would the capital be?

InfernapeIZCool
28th March 2008, 2:05 AM
It'd be impossible. No one would agree on anything and nothing would get done. Where would the capital be?
Holy crap, that'd be funny to watch.

CharizardAngel
28th March 2008, 2:09 AM
I think the only way to do it would be to put the capital in some uninhabited place so it wouldn't be a part of any existing country.

InfernapeIZCool
28th March 2008, 2:21 AM
Well, what could they do? Put it in Antarctica?

KetchupO
28th March 2008, 5:57 AM
Sounds bad to me, not to mention kinda impossible.

muumajii23
31st March 2008, 7:18 AM
I think it would work... It would take time, but it just might work. Think about that song, Imagine (I think?) by John Lennon. It talked about if there were no countries, no religion, no possesions, there would be nothing to fight for, thus there would be peace.
I doubt it would work excatly like that, but whatever....

diamondrulez
31st March 2008, 7:21 AM
It will happen. Says so in the Bible. The anti-Christ will lead it. Same with One-World religion. If your around when this happens, don't trust him. Trust God, he is the ONLY truth. These are my beliefs and I'm sticking to them

Ethan
31st March 2008, 7:26 AM
It will happen. Says so in the Bible. The anti-Christ will lead it. Same with One-World religion. If your around when this happens, don't trust him. Trust God, he is the ONLY truth. These are my beliefs and I'm sticking to them

I've got hand it to you about being bold about your beliefs, but we generally like to see an argument attached. Not to mention a swarm of angry atheists will probably eat you, then deep fry your intestines.(Wait I got that mixed up didn't I?:p) Trust me, it happens. ^_^

Bryloom
31st March 2008, 7:27 AM
Reminds me a bit of 1984.

DiggorysGremlin
31st March 2008, 7:36 AM
I've got hand it to you about being bold about your beliefs, but we generally like to see an argument attached. Not to mention a swarm of angry atheists will probably eat you, then deep fry your intestines. Trust me, it happens. ^_^

Couldn't have said it better.

Now, my opinion is that if there WAS a World Government, there would be too many people to govern over, and too little people to control them all. It is better to have states, territories etc. Due to there being less issues. State governments understand cultural needs, so unless we get someone that's exactly equal parts of every culture in the world, and understand his/her traditions, I don't think it will work. As previously stated, everything will be argued over, and nothing will get done.

D-Boi
31st March 2008, 7:56 AM
As nice as it may sound, it'd be a terrible idea. I'd list the reasons why, but enough has been said already.

LOL @ diamondrulez

-Nolij

Hakajin
31st March 2008, 10:06 AM
You can't keep peace with just one government. For one, a single government wouldn't be able to deal with that many people. It wouldn't be able to pay attention to regional problems the way a local government can. It wouldn't know what was best for the poeple there because it wouldn't be able to experience those problems itself, or see the best way to fix them. It also couldn't listen to that many people.

Second, cultures are already so different that laws that work in one area of the world wouldn't work in another. And it would be unfair to make something legal in some places and not others. People would complain, at the very least. And again, it wouldn't even know what would be best for each region.

Third, it's human nature to divide into groups. Our brains are programmed to define "us" and "them." Even if there were a world government, people would still split up into clans based on race, religion, whatever, and govern themselves.

Fourth, and probably most importantly, the leaders in such a governemt would still be people. All people are selfish and want their own way. Leaders would be bound to favor some people over others. They would do things for their own gain. And people would still fight one another. Clans would fight, and people would fight on an individual level. As it is, we don't even have peace within countries, much less between them.

^That's what I said in another thread similar to this one... thought that one was more about a world government leading to peace... Whatever, it fits.

Rensch
31st March 2008, 12:16 PM
What if it turned dictatorial. Could be possible since there are some countries where many people don't really like democracy like in the Arabian region. Anti-democratic opinions would not really be taboo for a government for the whole world.

Hakajin
1st April 2008, 8:44 AM
That's a good point, too. There's no way to get every country in the world to agree to the same kind of government.

And I was thinking about how it might could work, how we could have smaller, local governments, then state governments, then national governments, then the world governement... but a pyramid that big would cause problems. It would take way too long for any bills or laws to go through. You think the beurocracy in America is bad? Ha!All the conflicts between local and central goverments would be magnified. There would be so much trouble about what government should have say where.