PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer Discussion

Dean
24th April 2008, 4:33 AM
Does anyone wanna see the movie Speed Racer? TBH, I don't. Speed looks like he's like 25 years old, it looks like it's in the future (I have no clue if the original was, but im pretty sure it isn't), and it just looks ugly.

It's probably a waste of 2 hours.

Tell me what you think.

Cipher
24th April 2008, 4:36 AM
The old series is hilarious, and hopefully this movie will be to.

I know Target and Toys 'R' Us are selling Speed Racer helmets, so I'm getting at least two friends together to dress up like Speed for opening night.

(I have no clue if the original was, but im pretty sure it isn't)I'm pretty sure the series takes place in 1950s Ridiculous Racecar Land.

Rave
24th April 2008, 4:38 AM
I'm gonna watch it.

Don't think its gonna be the best, but, just for the sake of watching it.

Cobalt_Latios
24th April 2008, 4:44 AM
I'd consider seeing it myself, but the fact that Iron Man comes out the day after is sorta steering me away for it (no pun intended).

~C_L~

Ledian_X
24th April 2008, 4:44 AM
Heh. Showing my age here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Racer

Check that out. Speed Racer is one of the first successful Animes to be imported to the US and be successful. Long before Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh...this anime reigned surpreme. It's a great show. I am perplexed by the movie as I saw it when I was a kid. Remember...don't judge a book by its cover. Check it out if you are interested.

First came to America in 1967. Was pretty good. I think this followed Astro Boy.

LX

MondoTR
24th April 2008, 4:52 AM
Showing my age here.
As am I.

It was a grear series and I've been anticipating this movie since I heard about it about two years ago. :D

Rave
24th April 2008, 4:58 AM
As am I.

Thirded

It was a grear series and I've been anticipating this movie since I heard about it about two years ago. :D

I also was anticipating it when I first heard it then.

But after seeing some previews... I'm not as hyped as I used to...

Absolete
24th April 2008, 5:00 AM
I should see it because I will regret it if I don't and everyone will talk about it during school.

Besides, the movie looks so vivid.

Raging Flame
24th April 2008, 5:02 AM
Im not a fan of racing movies but i'll probably rent it when its out.

MondoTR
24th April 2008, 5:03 AM
Damn, stupid typo, lol.

Haven't seen any previews yet. I will soon enough, I suppose.

Probably won't see it until it's on DVD though. I planned on seeing Ghost Rider in theatres and I STILL haven't seen it. XD

.Bambi.
24th April 2008, 5:14 AM
OMG. I totally want to see Speed Racer! I remember when I first saw a promotional poster for it at the movies once and I thought the fact they were making a movie of it was pretty lame. But in the last 3 weeks I've become obsessed with it!

I didn't watch the cartoon as a child, and I really don't remember it being on TV. But apparently it was, because my friend said she used to watch it all the time with her brother. So yes, I do plan on seeing it.

I know Target and Toys 'R' Us are selling Speed Racer helmets, so I'm getting at least two friends together to dress up like Speed for opening night.
I want one as well! But my Toys R Us doesn't carry it, or not yet. I've checked around other toy places and no one seems to have them. Oh, the joys of living in Canada...

XSilverStarboyX
24th April 2008, 6:41 AM
Im sure its not going to be good quality but because its Speed Racer Im going to go watch it;152;

Dattebayo
24th April 2008, 4:08 PM
I'll probably see it, but my brother doesn't because he thinks the series has fast talking, which he hates, and he thinks the movie will be a failure due to the lack of fast talking.

FlamingRuby
24th April 2008, 4:11 PM
I'm interested in how they pull it off. I mean, the trailer looks exciting, and I've seen a little of the cartoon, but I've come to learn not to judge a movie by its trailer. For all I know, it could turn out to be terrible. (glares at "The Master of Disguise"

If I can't make it to the theater, I will either wait for the DVD or read what the critics say.

mewfan1
24th April 2008, 8:00 PM
It looks OK. I've seen some of the old shows, they were OK.

The amount of CGI in this film makes me dizzy, lol.

I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD, or maybe not. I don't know. I'll wait and see what other people think once it comes out.

Profesco
24th April 2008, 8:08 PM
I remember Speed Racer cartoons vaguely from my childhood. I watched it sometimes.

Anyway, all the neon and weird costumes in the movie trailers make the movie look lame. It harkens back to all the overly-theatrical early Batman movies.

Luke Groundwalker
24th April 2008, 8:08 PM
I'm gonna watch it simply because it's a parody in itself.

DIARUGA Trainer
24th April 2008, 9:41 PM
well I don't really care for the cast too much but just the fact that it's speed racer will make me wanna see it

Little_Pikachu
24th April 2008, 11:42 PM
Thirded

Fourthed.

It should be good for a laugh, as long as they don't make it too serious. I'll probably see it.

Cipher
25th April 2008, 3:45 AM
I actually never saw an episode as a kid. But my friend discovered the series on DVD and we spent many a merry hour laughing at its ridiculousness.

That's the beutiful thing about this movie. If it's good, then it's good. But if it's bad, it's just capturing the fundamental essence of the series.

Cobalt_Latios
26th April 2008, 6:19 AM
I recently read somewhere that they plan on making another cartoon series called Speed Racer: The Next Generation. If anyone doubts it, well you can have the honors of proving me wrong.

I have this suspicion that it'll be done in somewhat the same format they did Transformers: Animated... at least, I hope that's what they do.

~C_L~

ClassicNickelodeonFan
26th April 2008, 10:17 AM
I recently read somewhere that they plan on making another cartoon series called Speed Racer: The Next Generation. If anyone doubts it, well you can have the honors of proving me wrong.

It's true, it's going to be on Nicktoons Network starting the week before the movie. They're showing a bunch of promos now on the channel. And (for some cable systems), part of the first episode is On Demand.

Ugobama
27th April 2008, 8:12 AM
They should make it less goofy and weird-looking. It should be way more serious and evil-like.

rocky505
27th April 2008, 8:17 AM
it looks kind of weird and picture all of the fat nerdy guys there for it like for transformers.

Ethan
27th April 2008, 9:18 AM
I never really enjoyed the cartoon, so I doubt I will be falling in love with the movie. Maybe I'll see it just to find out if those idiots finally find out who racer X is.

Cipher
27th April 2008, 7:38 PM
They should make it less goofy and weird-looking. It should be way more serious and evil-like.Just like good ol' Speed Racer's always been, right?

it looks kind of weird and picture all of the fat nerdy guys there for it like for transformers. I don't think Speed Racer has any hardcore fanatics like Transformers. It's pure camp. That said, I still plan on dressing up in a group.

Profesco
28th April 2008, 1:08 AM
Have any of you seen the advertising for the Nickelodeon-aired Speed Racer cartoon? Supposedly it's called "next generation" or something, and features Speed's son going to racing school.

It looks quite terrible...

Cobalt_Latios
28th April 2008, 5:47 AM
Have any of you seen the advertising for the Nickelodeon-aired Speed Racer cartoon? Supposedly it's called "next generation" or something, and features Speed's son going to racing school.

It looks quite terrible...
I don't know why, but that concept doesn't really seem all that surprising. Considering how long it's been since the show last appeared. You'd think the subtitle "Next Generation" would give it away.

Also, I don't know why, but even after seeing some pics from the original show, I still find it difficult to think this series was an anime. I don't know why, but I just can't. It seems much closer to that of American cartoons, but that may just be me.

Anyways, I might just rent this one, seeing as how I have another few movies I'd prefer seeing first.

~C_L~

Cipher
28th April 2008, 6:02 AM
Also, I don't know why, but even after seeing some pics from the original show, I still find it difficult to think this series was an anime. I don't know why, but I just can't. It seems much closer to that of American cartoons, but that may just be me.It's from an era when the two animation styles weren't as distinct. After all, Japanese animation took its cues from Disney, and Speed Racer was created when the anime industry was in its infancy.

Add the fact that it has a very American-esque setting, and that its incredibly crude animation didn't facilitate much stylistic flair, and I can see why it would be hard to place.

Cobalt_Latios
28th April 2008, 3:01 PM
It's from an era when the two animation styles weren't as distinct. After all, Japanese animation took its cues from Disney, and Speed Racer was created when the anime industry was in its infancy.

Add the fact that it has a very American-esque setting, and that its incredibly crude animation didn't facilitate much stylistic flair, and I can see why it would be hard to place.
Heh, yeah, that probably explains why I thought it was an American show. Thanks, now it makes more sense.

~C_L~

Profesco
2nd May 2008, 7:19 PM
Wasn't Speed's car from the original cartoon the "Mach 5?" In the upcoming movie, the car is the "Mach 6."

bobjr
2nd May 2008, 9:35 PM
Wasn't Speed's car from the original cartoon the "Mach 5?" In the upcoming movie, the car is the "Mach 6."

Maybe it gets destroyed or something?

Neko Godot
3rd May 2008, 5:54 AM
I should see it because I will regret it if I don't and everyone will talk about it during school.
OH YEAH GUYZ PEER PRESSURE!!!!!

This movie has John Goodman starring as Pops, so it better be good. :<

Tabby Catty
3rd May 2008, 4:39 PM

It's probably the Mach 5's successor or something, but yeah, I can't wait to see it! I'm really excited, me and my father are gonna see it together, to him, it's like nostalgia!

aquajet16
4th May 2008, 8:05 PM
I think this will be a good movie. I am really a fan of racing movies, so yeah, this will be good.

noobers
4th May 2008, 10:02 PM
I plan on going with a couple of friends to see it. Looks fun.

THE ONE THE ONLY...AIPOM
5th May 2008, 2:33 AM
Well it looks like a good movie to me, my parents said we might go see it since my birthday is when it comes out.