PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield: Up to the Hype?

diamondrulez
27th April 2008, 6:30 AM
I just watched Cloverfield (and purchased on DVD) and I thought it was a pretty good movie. You hardly see the monster, though. There was a lot of viral hype for the movie and I don't think it was really worth all the hype. At least, not enough for 4 fake websites and many other things. If you put spoilers, make a spoiler alert. Don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen it.

SPOILER:
Funniest line: "I just keeping thinking how scary it would be if a flaming homeless guy ran out of the dark"

Cipher
27th April 2008, 6:33 AM
I actually had the opposite reaction. The hype made it seem really full of itself, to the point where I almost refused to see it.

I'm so glad I did though. I thought it was fantastically done. It set out to be an exciting, interesting take on the highly enjoyable "giant monster" genre, and it did just that. Seeing it in theatres was literally an edge-of-your-seat experience. Fun, fun movie.

And the ending was great.

diamondrulez
27th April 2008, 6:35 AM
Fun, fun movie.

it was indeed, but it seemed to have too much hype. Like, it didn't really need it all.

go to: slusho.jp (thats one of their fake sites)

SlipKnoT
27th April 2008, 6:51 AM
In my opinion it lived up to the hype, without a doubt. The effects, the plot, the characters, everything was great.

noobers
27th April 2008, 6:59 AM
Slusho.jp is actually conected to Cloverfield; it's not a fake site.

As for the movie, I thought it was fantastic how they recycled old ideas into a frightning thriller that leaves everyone on the edge of their seat.

It's one of the only (if not the only) good horror movie of 2008 so far.

muumajii23
27th April 2008, 7:05 AM
Slusho.jp is actually conected to Cloverfield; it's not a fake site.

As for the movie, I thought it was fantastic how they recycled old ideas into a frightning thriller that leaves everyone on the edge of their seat.

It's one of the only (if not the only) good horror movie of 2008 so far.

I agree with you on the movie. Absolutely amazing! The way it was filmed made it seem like it was real.

Although, I wouldn't call it a horror movie. More like suspense.

I watched the movie with my sisters after I bought it. They hated it because of the lack of knowledge of what it is and what happened at the end. I think that's the beauty of it. ^_^

It is definitly a movie that can only appeal to certain people.

noobers
27th April 2008, 7:10 AM
Horror movie or not, it still gave me some scares.

Cloverfield doesn't quite appeal to people who dislike vague or open-ended ending. Or rollar coasters.

diamondrulez
27th April 2008, 7:10 AM
[QUOTE=noobers;7905093]Slusho.jp is actually conected to Cloverfield; it's not a fake site.

[QUOTE]

its a fake site because the business doesn't exist. same with tidowave.com and targuarato.jp or whatever.

Pickles951
27th April 2008, 7:50 AM
I thought i was a great movie. I likes the new aspect of the camera angles. It was neat but like you said, you didnt get to see much of the monster. I found it better in the theater because of the sound effects

Pickles951
27th April 2008, 7:53 AM
I liked it. The new aspect like you are there was awesome. But the moster, like you said, wasn't seen much but I think it lived up to the hype

XSilverStarboyX
27th April 2008, 8:14 AM
It was overhyped in my book. I wondered why they would even announce it with no title or even showing the monster. But I will say, I think its what made everyone want to see it. Monster was still really cool and original at least;152;

kochoupink
27th April 2008, 9:54 PM
It was a good movie, but all the hype made it less so, really.
Also, I really hate not knowing where the monster came from!

muumajii23
27th April 2008, 10:13 PM
It was a good movie, but all the hype made it less so, really.
Also, I really hate not knowing where the monster came from!

Maybe I wouldn't have liked as much if I didn't know about it about a week before I saw it with my friends.... >_>

ForeverFlame
27th April 2008, 10:51 PM
To the people who want to know where the monster came from, go buy the DVD and fastforward to the last scene and look carefully. ;D

Dattebayo
27th April 2008, 10:57 PM
I was praised that Cloverfield was not a book adapted/comic adapted film. What I really about the movie was the ending.

ForeverFlame
27th April 2008, 11:19 PM
I hated the ending, tbh. All we got was a couple hidden messages in the credits saying that the monster was still alive, or whatever. NO1 CAR, seriously.

Cipher
28th April 2008, 3:06 AM
Also, I really hate not knowing where the monster came from!That was part of its charm, I thought. Not only would the main characters realistically know nothing bout the monster, some things just don't need explaining. It doesn't matter why there was a giant monster, you just accept the fact that there is one and go from there. It's campy, and that's not necessarily a bad thing here.

I hated the ending, tbh.Who cares about the hidden stuff? The actual ending, with the bridge collapsing and the final scene change in the film was pretty effective.

kochoupink
28th April 2008, 3:10 AM
That was part of its charm, I thought. Not only would the main characters realistically know nothing bout the monster, some things just don't need explaining. It doesn't matter why there was a giant monster, you just accept the fact that there is one and go from there. It's campy, and that's not necessarily a bad thing here.

See, I think the "why" was one of the most riveting parts of the movie. Yes, the monster was there, but how did it get there? That made me want to keep watching it, hoping that some kind of clue would show up. When it didn't, I was disappointed.

I agree that the ending was awesome, though.

Nidogod
28th April 2008, 3:18 AM
See, I think the "why" was one of the most riveting parts of the movie. Yes, the monster was there, but how did it get there? That made me want to keep watching it, hoping that some kind of clue would show up. When it didn't, I was disappointed.

That's the opinion a lot of people share. It's the same as the main reason No Country for Old Men gets hate. People want their movies wrapped up in a nice pretty package. Cloverfield and No Country leave it somewhat open for your own interpretation. It was the French, I believe, who felt that the essence of film was realism and greatly enjoyed movies that don't come completely together because it better shows real life and many possible choices and unknowns we face. Part of the uniqueness of the Cloverfield monster is that no one knows who or what it was. I'd rather have it be unexplained than be something ridiculous like Godzilla's backstory.

kochoupink
28th April 2008, 3:28 AM
And see, I loved No Country for Old Men. But for some reason, not knowing what the monster was really bothered me. Maybe because No Country felt like it should be imitating life while Cloverfield was obviously fictional?

Rave
28th April 2008, 5:29 AM
I hated the ending, tbh. All we got was a couple hidden messages in the credits saying that the monster was still alive, or whatever. NO1 CAR, seriously.

That was a rather good way to end the movie. Don't see why you got to be so nitpicky about how it concluded.

Wishing_Star*
28th April 2008, 5:42 AM
I hated it. One of the dumbest movies I have ever seen - and this is coming from someone that loves movies like that. The story was so dumb...

Cipher
28th April 2008, 6:12 AM
And see, I loved No Country for Old Men. But for some reason, not knowing what the monster was really bothered me. Maybe because No Country felt like it should be imitating life while Cloverfield was obviously fictional?That's the entire premise, though. "Let's take the most ridiculous, campy event we possibly can, and then play it straight from there." I like that idea. And honestly, the most ridiculous aspect of the film wasn't a giant monster attack. It was twenty-something Rob already being vice-president of a Japanese company. I had to try really hard to suspend my disbelief there.

Also, my only complaint with No Country for Old Men was that it was kind of pretentious. It's still unfortunate that people left saying, "Bwaa! It didn't have an ending!"

Cobalt_Latios
28th April 2008, 3:12 PM
That was part of its charm, I thought. Not only would the main characters realistically know nothing bout the monster, some things just don't need explaining. It doesn't matter why there was a giant monster, you just accept the fact that there is one and go from there. It's campy, and that's not necessarily a bad thing here.
Not to mention the entire plot of the movie is surviving the attack. Why in sam hell would want to know where the heck the monster came from if for the most part you're running for your life trying to escape it?

In the "generic" monster movies, we have a hero who tries to destroy a monster. In this one, it's more like they're trying to simply survive it. Just a small group of average joes armed with video cameras.

Who cares about the hidden stuff?
Me, well I enjoy Easter Eggs. Makes it more entertaining in some aspects.

I have just one question before I consider renting it: is it safe to make the assumption that this movie is on the same lines as the blair witch project? Or should I full out disregard that remark and simply consider it a "first person monster movie"?

edit: I'm at least glad that the bonus features on the DVD contains the "creation of the monster", so that you actually know what the freakin' thing is. That's at least one advantage the DVD has.

~C_L~

Aiko-chan
28th April 2008, 4:19 PM
*Spoiler tags aren't working for me! X_X I'll just color the spoilers green!*

Oh yes! Cloverfield! My favourite movie right now!
Well, in my opinion, it certainly lived up to the hype! I loved the first person view (a great expierence!) because that made some scenes in the movie look spectacular (for example, escaping from the party, Statue of Liberty's head being thrown off at the streets, scenes, featuring military shooting monster (also when we see the close-up of monsters face for some seconds), parasites attack, helicopter crash and, which was very disturbing, Hud's death). Some people argue about it being really confusing, because there are a lot of questions left unanswered. But imagine yourself in such situation - would you care where that thing came from? I guess not! =) J.J. Abrams himself stated that in this movie there is no such character as some kind of "scientist" who shows up and explains everything. We should have figured everything ourselves - that was the purpose of viral marketing campaign. Tagruato corporation, Slusho company, T.I.D.O.Wave organisation, Jamey loves Teddy website - there are clues left everywhere! That was like participating in online detective project!
What I also liked about this movie - it isn't generic monster movie. Unlike others it focuses not on monster itself, but on ordinary people, who are simply trying to survive in this chaos, and their relationships. There is no "hero" who will come and save the day. Even the military couldn't do much aganist the monster. Aslo i liked the open ending - it's perfect for this movie! We can't exactly say, who has survived, but this opens a possibility of the sequel! ^___^ It's has been already confirmed that it will come out in 2009! Also, the campaign started moving again, so we just have to wait for another exciting project!

P.S. The monster itself (Clover, Clovie or Mr. Grumpy Pants, as it is known in the internet) looks badass! It's not a Godzilla rip-off, not Ctulhu, not a giant whale - it's new and original design. There are a lot of HD quality screenshots from the movie, floating around the internet, so you can easily see, what it looks like.

P.P.S. Here is a link to IMDB Cloverfield page. It has a great FAQ section with most of the questions answered. Beware: a huge amount of spoilers! =)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/faq

P.P.P.S. Hud x Marlena forever! ^___________^

Nidogod
28th April 2008, 5:23 PM
Actually, there's an official toy released for it now so we know exactly what it looks like from all sides. I don't have a link, but just search it on google.

Cobalt_Latios
28th April 2008, 6:22 PM
Actually, there's an official toy released for it now so we know exactly what it looks like from all sides. I don't have a link, but just search it on google.
I saw the IGN review on that toy. It's quite funny actually, when they mention, "intended for kids 8 and up. Right, this thing will give the kid nightmares".

Creepy sucker.

~C_L~

diamondrulez
30th April 2008, 6:06 AM
if you haven't seen the movie, rent it. then go to jamieandteddy.com
the login is: jllovesth

noobers
1st May 2008, 3:30 AM
if you haven't seen the movie, rent it. then go to jamieandteddy.com
the login is: jllovesth

Speaking of that, during the party at the beginning of the movie, Jamie was passed out on the sofa.

diamondrulez
1st May 2008, 4:51 AM
Speaking of that, during the party at the beginning of the movie, Jamie was passed out on the sofa.

I noticed that when I watched it a second time after finding the easter egg. did you know they're making a prequel/sequel? two of them. one of the guy we (the veiwer) see when Hud looks over at the bridge and we see another guy with a camera looking at us, and an origin story. the first one comes out in 2009

Dragonfree
1st May 2008, 12:27 PM
Well, I loved it, and if it were to improve on anything I'd actually want to see less of the monster. It would have improved the effect, and movie aliens bore me anyway. (Meanwhile, my boyfriend spent like an hour after we came back from it whining about how we didn't get to see it dissected and analyzed. :P) While it was just a few people who had no idea what was going on running around, it was the only kind of monster movie I'd ever watch. When they actually began to show it, eh, I can live with it.

As for the hype, I didn't see much of it; I just saw a couple of trailers and that's it.

~Sirnight~
1st May 2008, 1:23 PM
I noticed that when I watched it a second time after finding the easter egg. did you know they're making a prequel/sequel? two of them. one of the guy we (the veiwer) see when Hud looks over at the bridge and we see another guy with a camera looking at us, and an origin story. the first one comes out in 2009

Yes, it's becoming to be more known now. The origin story tohugh is already being explained in the manga Cloverfield: Kishin. It really is quite interesting, it's only fault being that it feels a little too fictional.

the_w0lf
1st May 2008, 9:27 PM
I liked the move although I don't get all the internet promotional stuff going on still. I mean, myspace pages and fake companys, I just don't understand movie promotions I guess.

I like how nothing was explained in the movie, sure if I was in the situation I'd want to know, but moreso after I got to safety. The camera made it seem more real too, and it was quite a unique experience in the movie theatre.

I can't say it fully lived up to the hype though, I mean it left many dissapointed. Oh well, I enjoyed it.

ninny13
1st May 2008, 9:51 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I've seen it twice now, and watching it a second time, I noticed some things I hadn't the first time.
It was a tad depressing though.
I'd like to see a second one, but I want Lily back in it. I want to know what happened with her.

~Sirnight~
1st May 2008, 11:21 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I've seen it twice now, and watching it a second time, I noticed some things I hadn't the first time.
It was a tad depressing though.
I'd like to see a second one, but I want Lily back in it. I want to know what happened with her.

Honestly, with her boyfriend being crushed out of nowwhere, her friends eaten, blown up, and blown up again, and the obvious emotional scars of the monster attack... I'm not surprised to see that she'd just off herself.

XTheConX
1st May 2008, 11:28 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r122/Quasibobo/cloverfield_monster.jpg

HELLO!

diamondrulez
2nd May 2008, 1:38 AM
Yes, it's becoming to be more known now. The origin story tohugh is already being explained in the manga Cloverfield: Kishin. It really is quite interesting, it's only fault being that it feels a little too fictional.

I didnt know there was a manga. whats the origin story?

Nidogod
2nd May 2008, 2:19 AM
I'm also a little sick of people criticizing the movie. Like not online in serious reviews, just my friends making small talk. It seems like since it was made to look realistic to a monster attack with the handy cam and everything everyone I know has to pick out every possible little thing they found to be less than life like and criticize it. They can watch I Am Legend and ignore every little thing that makes no sense because it was shown like a regular movie. All of a sudden we can look past the fact that there's a giant unknown monstrosity pwning NYC and point out how it's illogical to film an army shooting it because you be too scared and running for your life. It annoys me sometimes how everyone seems to be so nitpicky about it as if it was meant to be something other than a sci-fi movie.

diamondrulez
3rd May 2008, 6:25 AM
Don't you hate it when people cant see past the shaky camara?