PDA

View Full Version : What to be Prideful In

Prince_PJ
10th May 2008, 4:33 AM
Just because I love serebii debate forum SO much

Hey guys! Long time no exist.

I wrote this up as a Facebook note just recently. Thought I'd say.

"Being prideful in anything is automatic cruise control for cool

You are allowed to be proud of your race. ONLY if you are not white. If you are white, and proud to be, you are a ****ing racist and should be shot on site. It's a rule, no exceptions.

You are allowed to be proud of your gender. Unless you happen to have a penis. I mean, hey, sometimes this **** happens.

You can be proud of how you look. Well, only if you are overweight.

Be proud of your sexuality. Except when you like the opposite gender.

Heck, be prideful of your nationality. Because you certainly chose where you came from! Alright!"

I'd say my ultimate point, but I think then it wouldn't be a debate. Afterall, I'm here to hopefully have someone wrongly be offended.

Nidogod
10th May 2008, 4:43 AM
You are allowed to be proud of your race. ONLY if you are not white. If you are white, and proud to be, you are a ****ing racist and should be shot on site. It's a rule, no exceptions.

There's already a thread about this.

You are allowed to be proud of your gender. Unless you happen to have a penis. I mean, hey, sometimes this **** happens.

There's one about this, too.

You can be proud of how you look. Well, only if you are overweight.

That's not true. Lots of people see it as a sign of strength to be able to dedicate to a steady workout plan and turn down delicious foods because you know they are bad for you.

Be proud of your sexuality. Except when you like the opposite gender.

To be fair there's not much of a market for going out and beating up straight guys in a fit of rage. It takes a lot to tell your family and friends that you are homosexual and not hide it. It could easily get you disowned, shunned, or even killed. No so much for being straight.

Heck, be prideful of your nationality. Because you certainly chose where you came from! Alright!"

In many places it's not about whether you are there or not, it's about how much you appreciate what you are given while there. Once I knew a guy who came to America from Romania for schooling. He wasn't proud of his country because he lived there. if that were the case he would've been flaunting American pride due to the fact that he was able to come here. He was proud of his country because he knew that he had to work harder than most people, he lived a tougher life, and his success was due to bigger challenges than most people will have to face. He would always talk about how no one in America could be bothered to work as hard as the average Romanian.

As far as heritage goes, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm proud to have Swedish heritage. I like my pretty blond hair, I enjoy Swedish folk music, and I find the language to be very poetic. It's a country that has done alot of good and I am proud to say that my ancestors came from there.

Bryloom
10th May 2008, 4:50 AM
I've actually reflected about this the other day.

To be honest, people should take pride in things they've accomplished themselves. Not something they have no choice but to be. And only if it's an accomplishment (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accomplishment) as well. Nothing like "FAT AND PROUD" or the opposite either. That's just ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really see the debate here. :(

Prince_PJ
10th May 2008, 4:53 AM
I've actually reflected about this the other day.

To be honest, people should take pride in things they've accomplished themselves. Not something they have no choice but to be. And only if it's an accomplishment (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/accomplishment) as well. Nothing like "FAT AND PROUD" or the opposite either. That's just ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't really see the debate here. :(

Damn you. This is actually how my Facebook note ended.

"[Be proud of **** YOU'VE accomplished, not... nothing]"

You've actually just... ugh. First person got my expect WOOSH response, but second post and it's over? Damn damn damn.

GhostAnime
10th May 2008, 12:15 PM
i still believe that being proud of something you had no choice over is strange

The_Panda
10th May 2008, 12:53 PM
i still believe that being proud of something you had no choice over is strange

Not really. To me I find it's an important part of accepting who you are. While I'm not one of those idiots who goes around saying "asian pride" everywhere I do have some sense of national pride and loyalty. I also have some similar pride for Australia as well as the country that raised me. Yes I had little control over it; though it's a mechanism to support ourselves and is especially important for minorities.

Brettt
10th May 2008, 1:54 PM
Well, the gender one doesn't make too much sense.

But I do agree with the one about white people. ITs not like I'm personally proud to be white, but I find it strange that black people are proud of their skin color, embrace it, and generally are very proud to be it. Even if some caucasians are like that, to display that they like their skin color is considered racist. Many people do not realize that racism works the other way as well, and blacks and other races actually outnumber caucasians in some places in America. Though the world has been so obsessed with political correctness, that any minority should have more *bragging rights*, if you will, than whtie people, although nobody seems to notice that a large amount of African Americans in the States are racist, although, since its against Caucasians, it is not recognized as racism.

The other points don't raise much of a debate to me. Sure, you don't choose your nationality, but growing up and living as a citizen of it just gives you all the more reason to be proud of it. You don't have to like your country either, you could hate it if you wanted. Its all about how you personally were raised and more of a personality-controlled decision than anything.

Also, the majority of people who are *allowed* to be proud in your post, like obese people, homosexuals, and african americans, throughotu history, they have been minorities, and also throughout history, they have been looked down upon. When the concept of political correctness was really becoming quite strong, these people were given a chance to be seen as equals, although, in some people's minds, there were still seen as different. So, to further increase confidence and self-esteem in these minorities, society has placed a taboo upon being proud about not being one of them.

And I kinda threw this together hastily, so sorry if it didn't make much sense,

Gengar25
10th May 2008, 6:25 PM
You could just as easily say:
"Be proud of your nationality, unless you're American, in which case you would be sick, warlike, and overweight".
You're only fueling the fire.

Strants
10th May 2008, 7:19 PM
Saying whites have not been discriminated against is wrong. Whites, like blacks, come from different tribes. The Scottish were discriminated against by the British. I also agree with Panda: maybe it's not like pride in what you did, but admiration for what others like you did, and pride to be (hopefully) be adding to that history. Maybe 'proud' is the wrong word, but I can't think of a word that better describes it, to be honest.

GhostAnime
10th May 2008, 7:24 PM
i know what you mean strants. perhaps appreciation is somewhere near it.

HyenaHaze
10th May 2008, 7:28 PM
As you may have noticed, I have pride in things I can't help as apart of acceptance for myself. If I'm not able to say "hey, I'm proud to be a lesbian!" I may just have a nervous breakdown. Also, all the things I'm proud of are things I have discovered about myself, not, say, something I simply had since birth such as my gender, race, and nationality. When you discover things about yourself, you shouldn't be afraid to be proud of it.
And besides, my color, gender, and nationality are predetirmined, which means there's really no sense in saying I'm proud of it. It's an iffy thing.

Darkmaster Rannon
10th May 2008, 8:45 PM
It's a double standard, that's it.

Everyone was created equal, put you know, "Sins of the fathers..." is why white guys just have to take it.

Proud to be fat, only if it was because of some sort of unpreventable medical condition and not your laziness and inability to run around the block a few times.

Things like "Proud to be a Christian, Jew, Satanist, Communist, Repblican, pokemaniac, Muslim, buddhist, nazi, femminist, athlete, whatever, etc" are ok, because you choose to be one!

-Proud to be legally insane in 60 something countries

Hakajin
11th May 2008, 2:57 AM
I think it's more about being proud of standing up for yourself when you're a minority. It's like saying "I don't have anything to be ashamed of." I agree that other groups should be allowed to express their cultural pride, too, but... it's hard to change the way society reacts.

Strants
11th May 2008, 1:58 PM
I agree that other groups should be allowed to express their cultural pride, too, but... it's hard to change the way society reacts. Yeah, especially if you're a white man in a kilt!

i know what you mean strants. perhaps appreciation is somewhere near it. Well, it's that or create a new word. . . I'll go with appreciation.

Nidogod
11th May 2008, 6:25 PM
First person got my expect WOOSH response, but second post and it's over? Damn damn damn.

It looks like every view I stated was reflected by someone else here. Was it an 'expected WHOOSH response' because I didn't agree with you that you can be proud of being homosexual or your nationality?