PDA

View Full Version : Racism

BlastoiseEX
25th May 2008, 6:12 AM
who here has experienced racism? as an asian-american in the midwest i had suffered racism in 3rd grade..well no one cares but let's discuss the racism here..also racist people are allowed

Katharina27
25th May 2008, 6:22 AM
I've been treated like a good for nothing racist simply for being white... Say what you want but it does happen and quite frequently I might add.

Blastoise, I am sorry for what you've been through. It's not easy being a part of the minority. My Grandma is Japanese. (She's not biologically my Grandma but she raised my mother and helped raise my brothers and I. I claim her as my own with pride. ^_^)

I agree that people should stop and think about cultures other than their own for a change. There's a lot we can learn from each other.

masteroftime
25th May 2008, 6:27 AM
I'm white, so I don't get much racisim.

I really like asians, they r so cool! (not to be racist or anything...)
but their language and food is cool.

Vavavoom
25th May 2008, 6:30 AM
Okay, I want to give my small, little opinion on things that happen in my class, at school.

As soon as a white person says " black person ", you hear " WHAT DID YOU SAY!? " ... And of course, the person that says that is a black person. Then, I'm like " wtf? ... ". I just hate when people, like, all get surprised when someone says " black person ". >> Eh my.

Also, when you say the " n " word, black people say " I'm going to beat you up! ". <~ And, like, it really bothers me, because you're not supposed to beat up someone; you're supposed to tell an adult that someone insulted you. The other day, I was talking to a black girl about the " n " word, and, like, she was, like, " Don't say that letter in front of me... Eh, no. Eh, stop. Stop it. Eh. ". --; That's another thing that I hate. And in my opinion, if I was black, and if someone would call me the " n " word, I wouldn't care 0.o. It's just a word.

But to answer the topic's question, no, I've never been a victim. :3

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 6:32 AM
As soon as a white person says " black person ", you hear " WHAT DID YOU SAY!? " ... And of course, the person that says that is a black person. Then, I'm like " wtf? ... ". I just hate when people, like, all get surprised when someone says " black person ". >> Eh my.

I really hate when that happens. As soon as you say that people assume its going to be a bad thing a judge me on it

masteroftime
25th May 2008, 6:34 AM
yeah- I don't like how
when a black guy calls someone white no one cares, but when a white person calls someone black everyone gets all huffy and yells "raceism!!!".

and on the "n" word thing... They call themselves and eachother that! If they say it, why shouldn't others?

chamo-chan
25th May 2008, 6:35 AM
I've haven't really experienced much racism......
but I know people who have.
My sister told me of her friend, who was treated unfairly by some hag of a teacher.
She's Hispanic, (the friend).
You see, she was absent from class for a long period of time,(due to a medical problem) and the teacher wouldn't let her make up work. To make matters worse, when her dad tried to clear things up, the b***h of a teacher wouldn't see him and slammed the door on him. Later that same day, she let a white family talk to her about a similar problem with a WHITE student only.
The friend and all of her friends tried to report her, but there are too many laws protecting bad teachers.
If only there was a way.....

Vavavoom
25th May 2008, 6:39 AM
They call themselves and eachother that! If they say it, why shouldn't others?

Exactly. That's the thing I don't understand. By the way, yesterday, a black person called me a " n ". ._. Then, I was like " I'm not black... ". Then, she was like " WHAT DID YOU SAY!? ". Then, I said " I said I'm not black... ". " Ya' betta' be not lyin'. ", she said... <<

Oh my gosh.

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 6:44 AM
^How exactly could that person say your not black if your clearly not?

Regan
25th May 2008, 6:44 AM
I've got to say, i don't see whats so wrong about the N word at all. I swear, some people get so offended by it, but yet have no idea why its offensive to them.

Im picked on by the black kids at school, because im not black. We all are. They're usually bigger than us, and people just stay out of their way. No one should say white people don't get racism.

Anonymous Trainer
25th May 2008, 6:47 AM
Okay, I want to give my small, little opinion on things that happen in my class, at school.

Being of African-American, the 'n' word is just considered foul. Heck, my grandparents still wallop my cousins for even saying it around them.

Also, when you say the " n " word, black people say " I'm going to beat you up! ". <~ And, like, it really bothers me, because you're not supposed to beat up someone; you're supposed to tell an adult that someone insulted you. The other day, I was talking to a black girl about the " n " word, and, like, she was, like, " Don't say that letter in front of me... Eh, no. Eh, stop. Stop it. Eh. ". --; That's another thing that I hate. And in my opinion, if I was black, and if someone would call me the " n " word, I wouldn't care 0.o. It's just a word.

It's not that it's just a word, it's the history of it. It was created from pure discrimination. Though I understand where you're coming from, it still puzzles me that black people can say it among ourselves, yet it is somehow wrong and considered racism for others of different race to say it. Not actually surprising since I hear it all the time, but I just dislike the word altogether.

The_Panda
25th May 2008, 6:47 AM
I'm Chinese and experienced racism all throughout my life in Australia (especially when I was younger and the only non-european in my year). But really I don't so much care for it. People naturally sort themselves into labels and sort others into labels too (not just labels of race, but of religion, gender, social status, sexual orientation, education, wealth, et cetera); and from these labels other things are attached to such people. It's also natural for people to possess some level of prejudice to those of other such labels... regardless of whether they choose to admit it or not or whether they act upon this prejudice. It's only normal for us to not just do this but be afraid of the unknown and unfamiliar - lending to xenophobia.

And how is this a debate?

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 6:49 AM
its a case of the pot calling the the kettle black ('scuse the pun)

Vavavoom
25th May 2008, 6:50 AM
^How exactly could that person say your not black if your clearly not?

Hm. :/ I don't know.

I've got to say, i don't see whats so wrong about the N word at all. I swear, some people get so offended by it, but yet have no idea why its offensive to them.

I know. >> In my class, there are black people that hate gay/lesbian people. They call them f*gs, sadly. Everytime they do something kind of flamboyant, just for fun, they say " No homo ", as in " I just did that for fun; I'm not gay/lesbian . C: ". Then, in my head, I'm like... " You call gay/lesbian people ***s? Let me call you a " n ", then. ". I'm not gay/lesbian, but, like, I think they the ones that overreacts should not insult people if they can't insult them back. But I don't want to mix subjects, so, yeah. :/

It's not that it's just a word, it's the history of it. It was created from pure discrimination. Though I understand where you're coming from, it still puzzles me that black people can say it among ourselves, yet it is somehow wrong and considered racism for others of different race to say it. Not actually surprising since I hear it all the time, but I just dislike the word altogether.

Oh, okay. I respect your point of view. ;D

Peacefulz
25th May 2008, 6:51 AM
As a Caucasian person living in Hawaii, I have experienced some racism from classmates. Mostly it was being referred to a 'Haole', and one boy blocked the door of a class for me, and said he wouldn't let me in because of my skin color (he moved after awhile). I can relate to the minorities on the mainland, it truly sucks sometimes >>. Thankfully, my teachers are awesome people that do not encourage racism (unlike that b***h of a teacher mentioned above).

bobjr
25th May 2008, 6:54 AM
I'm aware why the n word shouldn't be used, but what annoys me is that only black people are seemingly allowed to use the word. Isn't that a form of racism in itself?

Having gone to a high school where a race war broke out because of the Salem Witch Trials (I'm not kidding). It went to the point where all classes were locked down because of a rumor that some kids were going to shoot some white kids for "payback".

Reverse Racism is just as bad a racism itself.

Katharina27
25th May 2008, 6:55 AM
Let's face the facts guys. This will forever be a problem, no matter what the culture until people have a mutual trust and respect for all. The school systems don't help at all. They tell us how badly our Caucasian ancestors screwed over all of Africa. (thankfully history majors will at least admit that much.) The rest of the time however, they try to tell us why the U.S. is superior to all other countries and make excuses for everything else the U.S. did. Naturally, the rest of the countries hold age old grudges and America's still stuck on it's high horse.

I'm going to make it a point to say now that, yes, years ago, the people who came before me screwed up very badly, but I as a person of the 21st century, did not persecute your ancestors! I am also not guilty of persecuting you with that statement so please stop treating me like dirt!

There is work to be done on all sides.

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 6:58 AM
Let's face the facts guys. This will forever be a problem, no matter what the culture until people have a mutual trust and respect for all. The school systems don't help at all. They tell us how badly our Caucasian ancestors screwed over all of Africa. (thankfully history majors will at least admit that much.) The rest of the time however, they try to tell us why the U.S. is superior to all other countries and make excuses for everything else the U.S. did. Naturally, the rest of the countries hold age old grudges and America's still stuck on it's high horse.

I'm going to make it a point to say now that, yes, years ago, the people who came before me screwed up very badly, but I as a person of the 21st century, did not persecute your ancestors! I am also not guilty of persecuting you with that statement so please stop treating me like dirt!

Thats all true buts getting them to work peacefully could be a problem cos of as you said past problems

Peacefulz
25th May 2008, 6:59 AM
Let's face the facts guys. This will forever be a problem, no matter what the culture until people have a mutual trust and respect for all.

Which is why I'm waiting for globalization to happen in 100 or so years, thing should get better...

They tell us how badly our Caucasian ancestors screwed over all of Africa. (thankfully history majors will at least admit that much.) The rest of the time however, they try to tell us why the U.S. is superior to all other countries and make excuses for everything else the U.S. did. Naturally, the rest of the countries hold age old grudges and America's still stuck on it's high horse.

I'm Caucasian, and my ancestors did not screw all over Africa, they stayed in their country *is an immigrant*. But I can seriously relate to the grunges against the U.S, however. I do not agree with them, but whenever I go back home, something like that always surfaces.

chamo-chan
25th May 2008, 7:00 AM
As a Caucasian person living in Hawaii, I have experienced some racism from classmates. Mostly it was being referred to a 'Haole', and one boy blocked the door of a class for me, and said he wouldn't let me in because of my skin color (he moved after awhile). I can relate to the minorities on the mainland, it truly sucks sometimes >>. Thankfully, my teachers are awesome people that do not encourage racism (unlike that b***h of a teacher mentioned above).

You are lucky to have such a nice teacher.
That old hag I mentioned is acutally French.....
I have no idea what she has against the frickin world.
But she hates kids too.

I have no idea how she even got that job as a French teacher..... (besides the obvious)

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 7:01 AM
Which is why I'm waiting for globalization to happen in 100 or so years, thing should get better...

Hopefully george bush wont be around then!

Katharina27
25th May 2008, 7:04 AM
I can't wait Andy. You have no idea how much that man annoys me.

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 7:05 AM
I don't think anyone can wait!

Anonymous Trainer
25th May 2008, 7:06 AM
I'm aware why the n word shouldn't be used, but what annoys me is that only black people are seemingly allowed to use the word. Isn't that a form of racism in itself?

Not exactly racism, African-Americans have just been using it so constantly, it's as if we forgotten why the word exists in the first place.

Let's face the facts guys. This will forever be a problem, no matter what the culture until people have a mutual trust and respect for all.

Because there is still racism around, regarding anyone no matter what decent they're from, and it probably will never end.

Vavavoom
25th May 2008, 7:14 AM
it probably will never end.

Well yeah. That's if people keep on sleeping mentally.

Andywoo
25th May 2008, 7:15 AM

Which they will because people are to stuck up to admit there wrong

Katharina27
25th May 2008, 7:21 AM
Well, it is a goal to work toward despite the fact it's impossible. People find new things to hate about others every day.

Anonymous Trainer
25th May 2008, 7:23 AM

Well, yeah :rolleyes:

Which they will because people are to stuck up to admit there wrong

People find new things to hate about others every day.

That's just pure human nature period.

GhostAnime
25th May 2008, 1:34 PM
finally, now a debate can happen.

anonymous, the n word is racist no matter how its used.

Strants
25th May 2008, 3:19 PM
Whites, or at least the Scots, have esperianced raciasm. They were not allowed the wear their traditional kilts (or any kind, really), carry weapons, and were forcably made part of England. We haven't gotten it as bad as some, but we still get it even today, for wearing our national heritage ("Hey, look, a man in a dress. Eeeew!") Still, at least at that time they can be reasonably accused of being racist AND sexist.

Requiem's Eclipse
25th May 2008, 3:55 PM
I believe racism will never be taken out of today's society because everyone is scared about what they don't know. I see racism today almost as a growing parasite on the back of today's society. Sometimes people find the most ridiculous things for saying racist and other times... A kid in my school got suspended from school for stuff he said on myspace. He was even let out of school early "for his safety". I don't know what he said but it must've been bad. And then, he said another thing the next year and got his jaw busted. The strange thing is that the first and second time the people who beat him up weren't even suspended and went on with life in school while doing a smear campaign against the kid and got no repercussions. I say that people who have a racist on their hands no rules apply. It also shows a form of reverse racism that goes on in our society.

ArteMagica
25th May 2008, 4:24 PM
Okay I'm black and so far I haven't experienced racism. My school is filled with other black kids as well as Hispanics and Caucasians. The kids at my school aren't racist toward them and they aren't racist towards us. I've managed to make a lot of new friends that way.

My main point is about the "N" word. Yes my friends and associates use it amongst each other. I have never been able to figure out why. After I heard what the word really ment I was surprised that people still use it, even if it is just around their friends. From the way they use it in context, it's simply like a greeting, or a complement, or a lack for a better word. I do not use the "N" word and I would hate for someone (even another black person) to call me that. My friends say it amongst themselves but they never talk like that in front of their parents.

I don't like the "N" word but I won't go overboard when I hear it. I never understood why some people get all upset when someone says "black person". And then there are some black people that are racist to black people. :| Whenever it's hot they blame the black people. Then they comment about our race, even though they're black themselves. I really dislike people like this.

But in general, my community has some level of tolerance. We accept other races.

ChronaMew
25th May 2008, 4:34 PM
Words are only offensive if one finds them to be so. If I called a black person who didn't know what the word was the n word, he wouldn't be offended. The word had a bad history but it's not like the slaves nor the slave owners are alive today, hence if people stopped taking offense to it it would lose its meaning.

blitzerzero
25th May 2008, 5:12 PM
Once, some Hispanic kid threatened to spraypaint the Mexican flag on my face. ._. It was probably an empty threat, though.

Also, a classmate accused me of being racist when I mentioned the word "Spanish." Boy, we still haven't got out of racism yet...only a few decades to go... ._.

GhostAnime
25th May 2008, 8:28 PM
chrona, the word will never lose its meaning. we cant just forget about the 1800s.

Dancing Melon
25th May 2008, 8:44 PM
I'm Caucasian, so I don't experience many racist remarks towards me. However, there is this African-American (to be politically correct) boy in one of my classes who acts very racist at times. He hates British people with a passion, and he says a lot of things about Caucasians in general as well. He claims, however, that it is not racist since he is African-American. I don't believe that is right, because even though when people think of racism they think of whites, every race can be racist, and it's never right.

Also, I have this "friend" that is racist against Jewish people. He's always saying these really dumb "Jew jokes" as he says, and he claims that they mean nothing. However, my friend who is Jewish is around when he says these jokes, and it really upsets her. I can't get him to shut up though, which really bothers me. I don't understand why people have to make fun of certain races and such.

In that same group of friends, there are a lot of racist jokes being strewn about. All of them say that it's no big deal, but what if someone of that race hears them? I think that it's not okay to make jokes, because the person could be serious about what they're saying, and that's just not cool.

If only there was a way to erase racism from people's systems ...

Requiem's Eclipse
25th May 2008, 10:25 PM
chrona, the word will never lose its meaning. we cant just forget about the 1800s.

But, shouldn't we look in the future and move away from the past? Simply saying we shouldn't forget the meaning is fine but, the way mainstream black america uses the word is deplorable.

??????
25th May 2008, 10:45 PM
All you crispy, dark skinned, fence hopping Immigrants need to stop taking or jobs before we lynch you!

I am an African in US, and have been on the receiving end of racism a few times. Its nothing major really. And I live in Kentucky.

Gladly, racism isn't the monster that it used to be.

GhostAnime
25th May 2008, 11:15 PM
it isnt even just slave times, white people used it derogatorily afterwards as well.

but the word will simply never lose its original meaning because that is what its usually known for. should we encourage its use? no.

Anonymous Trainer
26th May 2008, 12:21 AM
finally, now a debate can happen.

anonymous, the n word is racist no matter how its used.

I know that. :rolleyes:

It's just how we use it to address each other. In other words, it just doesn't make sense at all that African-Americans can just casually say it among ourselves, yet we hate being addressed of that word by someone else of a different race.

IMO I just don't think anyone should use the 'n' word period.

Requiem's Eclipse
26th May 2008, 12:24 AM
No one should use the 'n' word period.

GhostAnime
26th May 2008, 12:29 AM
of course i casually use it as a joke sometimes, but the meaning's still there even when i joke. so, yes. it shouldnt be said in public or anything like that.

Noheart
26th May 2008, 2:20 AM
I've experience racism too long to count.. I live in Trenton, and i'm caucasion ( can't spell that :/ )... you get the picture, right?

SlipKnoT
26th May 2008, 3:00 AM
I've never been a victim of racism, but I did grow up around racists. My mother's mother grew up in Mississippi, and when she was growing up racism was every where, she's just a negative product of a corrupt generation. Both of my parents do say the 'n' word at times, and do make passing comments about African Americans, and afterwards I always end up getting in a fight with them because I resent that racist mind set so much. I'm just glad that I didn't follow in their footsteps.

I myself, have nothing against any race, and find racism as a whole deplorable. In everyday life I don't use labels like 'black' or 'Mexican' to describe anyone, I just refer to everyone as a person and leave it at that. Caucasian, African-American, whatever you may be I have no pre-existing, negative feelings about you because of your race.

As for the 'n' word, it's one of the two words I never use regardless of the circumstances. I don't find words like '****' nearly as bad as I find words like the 'n' word, hell I don't find them bad at all. Some words, because of their history, should not be used, by anyone. Period.

Strants
26th May 2008, 3:05 AM
In everyday life I don't use labels like 'black' or 'Mexican' to describe anyone, I just refer to everyone as a person and leave it at that. Caucasian, African-American, whatever you may be I have no pre-existing, negative feelings about you because of your race. I don't think not labeling people is the answer. It will only be when the labels still exist, but it doesn't matter to anyone because everyone is an equal person, that racism is truly dead. Or at least, I think that.

Archeopterix
26th May 2008, 3:07 AM
My best friend is always making Nazi jokes of me cause I'm of German ancestry. I guess that's it.

TSL
26th May 2008, 3:13 AM
Yeah, racism is bad and ignorant. But what makes me irked is when people call pretty much the entire black popuation of America "African Americans"
ORLY?
It's assuming that the person is of African descent, and is a citizen of America.
Yeah? What about that guy whose family line goes back 10 generations in Venezuela and is a tourist in America? Nice one.

Darkmaster Rannon
26th May 2008, 3:20 AM
"Damn sand****ers."

I don't enjoy racism, but anyone from the middle east does, if your middle eastern, you must be an extremist muslim and are a damn sand****er.

Still beat on anyone who makes a racist joke about me, just as hard as I would another white boy.

Eszett
26th May 2008, 10:29 AM
Do I need to wallop you over the head with my sausage before you idiots can make a good debate? I see nothing but a listing of opinions here, and what "contentious" commentary exists serves only to scrape the surface. Yes, I did read the (w)hole thread...

For the sake of what collective intelligences we have left, I'm locking this thread down.