PDA

View Full Version : "No Return, No Exchange" Policy

aquajet16
1st July 2008, 2:00 PM
Okay this is a debate about the policy of "No Return, No Exchange" which is seen in Merchandising Business. For those who don't know what is it about, it's a policy which states that merchandise bought by a consumer cannot be returned or exchanged for a merchandise of the same form or maybe not, thus the terms no Return and Exchange. Merchandisers cannot be returned even if it is defective.

So should it be allowed or not?

For me it should not be allowed because the buyer will just waste their money on a product which had little/no use to them.

Ketsuban
1st July 2008, 7:42 PM
Stores have a right to set their own policies. Customers should know what they want before they buy it.

In addition, the manufacturer of a damaged product will generally take it back even if the store won't, so that's not even a valid exception.

Gibbis
1st July 2008, 7:48 PM
Depends on the item.

For underwear it should be a no return, because of hyginic problems if some poor sole had to handle the stained Y-fronts

For electronics it should be returnable, due to its nature.

Regan
2nd July 2008, 7:19 AM
Depends on the item.

For underwear it should be a no return, because of hyginic problems if some poor sole had to handle the stained Y-fronts

For electronics it should be returnable, due to its nature.

Im not even going to start on that.. Go back to misc.

I believe shops should be able to set their own policies. They shouldn't have to take something back, just because your not happy. You gave them your money, they gave you their goods. They shouldn't have to go back on it unless they weren't happy either.

Conquistador
2nd July 2008, 8:33 AM
There's no problem with that policy. If people buy something, ask about the returns policy and then get home and decide they don't like it, I don't believe they have the right to be angry at the store from which they bought the item.

It's like becoming part of a democracy and then seceding when the election doesn't go your way =D

Profesco
2nd July 2008, 1:47 PM
I don't believe they have the right to be angry at the store from which they bought the item.

Is it really about them just being angry, though? There's always the chance that the product will turn out to be defective in some way. What is the consumer supposed to do when the store didn't provide them quality goods for their money?

Strants
2nd July 2008, 6:50 PM
Is it really about them just being angry, though? There's always the chance that the product will turn out to be defective in some way. What is the consumer supposed to do when the store didn't provide them quality goods for their money? With walmart's popularity, I really don't think people care about 'quality.' They're more concerned with what they can get for $1.99. ;)

Seriously, though, this is a double edged sword. Let's say someone buys a flash drive for $10. The flash drive is defective, and because of the no return policy, they stop shopping at that store. The person lost $10; the store lost the hundreds they might have made if said person kept shopping there. The store may actually lose MORE than the customer does, so it's a stupid policy. HOWEVER, the stores do have a right to make their rules. The customer chooses to shop were there is a no return policy, after all.

Conquistador
3rd July 2008, 2:53 AM
Is it really about them just being angry, though? There's always the chance that the product will turn out to be defective in some way. What is the consumer supposed to do when the store didn't provide them quality goods for their money?

That's different, as defective items are covered by warranty. And if you buy an item not covered by warranty, same deal, I don't think they have the right to be 'angry' if it breaks on its own accord.

Basically I think people just need to be aware of what they're actually buying before they buy it.

Jazmin (Jasmine)
3rd July 2008, 4:12 AM
I always thought it was stupid. Why shouldn't people at least get an exchange?

Cutiebunny
3rd July 2008, 5:52 AM
I always thought it was stupid. Why shouldn't people at least get an exchange?

Most stores give you an exchange or store credit for most items. However, electronic media, they don't and that makes perfect sense. Whose to say that the people that bought these media items haven't already burned themselves a copy of it?

I'm sure you can argue against the people who bought the item and opened it, finding that they couldn't use it. But sadly, there are more people out there that would burn the media item and return it rather than the innocent few.

Gym_Leader_Hanrick
6th July 2008, 5:48 PM
hm....no return/exchange does get annoying.....but if its stuff like digital media i dont blame them. e.g: people could've burned a copy of a DVD, take it back and walk away with a few extra 's (or $'s) AND a free movie......

JakeSteel
6th July 2008, 6:20 PM
Like what was already siad, it depends on the item and the store's rules. Other then that, just deal with the rules....

Cifala
28th July 2008, 7:21 AM
For things like books, I'd say no. You can always pull the old George Costanza on them.

When it comes to electronics, I find it frustrating to buy something only to learn it's broken and I'm jipped out of 50$. I can see that they don't want people recording the material and returning it, but if they had some way of making you prove it doesn'ts work, that would be somewhat effective, though quite thime consuming.

Emperor Giratina
30th July 2008, 7:56 AM
Hmm... It certainly depends on what the item is, if the item is an underwear or a type of garment, then it should have the 'No Return, No Exchange' policy, if the item is a toy, electronic device, game CD, etc. then it should not have this policy because of the properties of the materials they are made of... Who knows if the product turns out to be defective when you use it/try it out at home, who knows if the product is a fake duplicate? Oh, and if anybody does find some of these things with this policy, I assume that it is just a stupid trick to lower the store's money loss. *Sigh* But anyways, stores have the right to make thier own polices, though.

Zesqio
11th August 2008, 3:02 PM
The buisnesses can do what they want, but some rules such as these will only drive away customers. It's their buisness

Hunter_RuLe
11th August 2008, 4:56 PM
Aslong the consumer is able to get all the information he needs about a product, it's warranty and policy of it's merchandiser I don't have a problem with someone useing the 'No Return, No Exchange' policy. Given this information a buyer should be able to make a good decision and it is reasonable that he takes responsability for his part of the product risc.

Like some of you said, the policy used by merchandisers and warranty of the product usually depends on the type of product, aswell as it's quality. The seller should provide everything he has promised or atleast offer something with the same value. By buying something the consumer agrees with it's own risc and he should notwhine about it afterwards.