PDA

View Full Version : The earth is flat. Prove me wrong.

zuloon
10th August 2008, 12:31 AM
I'd like to see if anyone can prove me wrong.

HyenaHaze
10th August 2008, 12:38 AM
Why would you even do this...?

bobjr
10th August 2008, 12:39 AM
How about it's a sphere. Or did I miss last weeks science meeting?

CoolTrainerTerry
10th August 2008, 12:40 AM
The Earth is round.
Prove me wrong.

See, I can do it too.

HyenaHaze
10th August 2008, 12:41 AM
How about it's a sphere. Or did I miss last weeks science meeting?

I was there. Evidentially pluto's not really a planet. :(

Raichu4u
10th August 2008, 12:42 AM
The Earth is flat.
Prove me wrong

I can also do it to.

Mibbis
10th August 2008, 12:42 AM
I tried to find the edge of the world to jump off so that i could flyin outer space.

I got unlucky:(

bobjr
10th August 2008, 12:46 AM
Wasn't it Aristotle or someone around that time who observed ships going out of view by slowly disappearing from the bottom up to the mast, and figuring out that the world was round? Or am I just crazy?

Needs a Deoxys
10th August 2008, 12:48 AM
This link should do the trick. http://www.physlink.com/Education/askExperts/ae535.cfm

Mibbis
10th August 2008, 12:48 AM
I tried to find the edge of the world to jump off so that i could flyin outer space.

I got unlucky:(

The_Panda
10th August 2008, 2:48 AM
There's nothing wrong with this thread apart from non-debate posts within it. Trying to prove the obvious, at least to a reasonable standard, is a fantastic mental exercise.

Anyway, pictures taken from space, while concrete, are not the best proof as governments/agencies may be faking them (and w cannot know for ourselves, we are relying on the testimony of others). Despite the chances of such a fake being very low, the best proofs are ones we can all observe. The first one, as posted by Needs a Doexys, is that of the moon's eclipse: and anyone who as seen a red moon would know that the shadows indicate a circular shape across one plane. We can make the jump between a plane to space by knowing that eclipses are observed in every part of the globe. Another proof is that if we have two ships on the ocean, they can sail far enough apart that light cannot move in a straight line between them without going through the water. As a matter of fact, we can calculate the radius of the Earth by taking two ships with each ship having one point of equal height, and sail these ships in opposite directions with a given midpoint while taking readings from where they can see eachother from the points of equal height. At the point where the line of sight is tangential to the midpoint we can take the distance between the two and knowing the height of the points where the readings were taken we can easily calculate the required radius of the Earth. If the world was not spherical, we would not get equal readings from every point which we take it from (which is the definition of a sphere).

shiny bagon
10th August 2008, 3:40 AM
like sogeking said if a ship goes straight and you keep looking it will go below the horizion of the eye if earth was flat the ship would never drop and would stay at eye level also all other objects in space are round so why not earth also the panda if we took two ships we should get different measurements because earth is an obslate spheroid and isn't perfectly round it is .998 percent round flat at the poles bulging at the equator

Flaming Lip
10th August 2008, 8:48 PM
The world can't be flat becaues it varies in altitude! :O

No, but gravity can only really be explained if the earth is at least roughly spherical in shape. Gravity is the attraction of objects of mass, and in order for the force of gravity to be consistent in the earth's surface (which it is), there would need to be a center to its mass.

Strants
10th August 2008, 8:56 PM
I would like to agree with The_Panda. If you can't prove a commonly accepted fact, why do you believe it?

Also, ever noticed how if you pour water on a flat surface, it will form into more spherical shapes (or, at the least, NOT stay flat)? this is because the water's gravity pulls it into a sphere. So, logically, the same thing would happen witht he earth.

Noheart
10th August 2008, 8:58 PM
Ehem. (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Pictures+of+Earth&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

The magiks of the Internet. Astounding.

platinum breeder
10th August 2008, 9:02 PM
I was there. Evidentially pluto's not really a planet. :(

*OFFTOPIC*

Its not actually, its a dwarf planet, also known as a sub-planet. It was reclassified as dwarf planet in 2006. Futhermore, the known dwarf planets in our solar system are Ceres, Makemake, Eris and Pluto.

*OFFTOPIC*

??????
10th August 2008, 9:05 PM
Wow. What conclusive evidence zuloon has to back up his obviously correct opinion.

You would have to be crazy to believe hundreds of years of evidence compiled to prove the Earth is round.

HyenaHaze
10th August 2008, 9:08 PM
*OFFTOPIC*

Its not actually, its a dwarf planet, also known as a sub-planet. It was reclassified as dwarf planet in 2006. Futhermore, the known dwarf planets in our solar system are Ceres, Makemake, Eris and Pluto.

*OFFTOPIC*

*Topic does not concern me*
I thought Ceres was a big meteor, not a planet....
*/what topic lol*

Pkmnmaster48
10th August 2008, 9:17 PM
It's round. If it's flat you would fall off.xD

Ethan
10th August 2008, 9:18 PM
Well this was pointless. Infraction time.

Although I do commend The Panda for being noble and trying to turn this thread around.