PDA

View Full Version : Name Change Thread

EspeonMaster
20th October 2008, 3:44 PM
Excuse me but when is that damn name change thread is going to be opened?
I mean what are you guys doing?!Is it so difficult for you to WORK here?I am waiting 5 months and it's not opening!!!Please do something!If you can't open the thread just change MY NAME!!!

bobjr
20th October 2008, 3:46 PM
By acting out like that you're only giving the admins a better reason not to open it. They have lives, so wait it out patiently until it reopens.

Zero Nexus
20th October 2008, 3:51 PM
I know what you mean Soegking, but i gotta agree with the guy. Of course they have lives, but 5 months is just too much. Think about all the people who been waiting ages and they hate their usernames. I understand that there is more to do, but 5 months is just lazy.

Jaguar297
20th October 2008, 3:53 PM
i will agree also!!!Zero Nexus

The Admiral
20th October 2008, 3:54 PM
Yeah, it is annoying, but *****ing is worse.

I wish I could delete my current name-change request, too, but I can't.

Munchy.42
20th October 2008, 5:25 PM
Damn, you made me think there was a new name change thread...

But what Zero Nexus said is true. The mods do have lives, but 5 months is a lot. I hate my current username (That is surprsing!), but I suppose everyone will just have to wait for them to decide when to open a new thread.

GrizzlyB
20th October 2008, 7:15 PM
People like the OP are why the name change threads are such a hassle. You've only been here four months, and are demanding a change. How soon would the next one be if they did reopen the thread?

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 7:37 PM
What the **** do any of you knwo about how long it takes to do your silly name changes. It has nothing to do with laziness. We left it closed on purpose, not because we have yet to go through it

First of all, only admins can do it.

Second, we have to check each persons requested name to see if its taken, make sure theyre not banned, make sure theyve followed the guidelines/rule of when you can/cannot request a name change, and then write a list of the changes made on which date.

Any given week of that thread being open has over 30 people *****ing over a name change. Every single time its been opened, the same exact thing happens and its impossible to keep up with all the children wanting to change their name from MUNCHLAX_RULZ to //~~MYSTERIOUS*ANGST~~//

Also the fact that 80% of the time, these forums lag like **** and it takes about 15 minutes just for one page to load. You have NO IDEA that this is not a simple 10min procedure, but takes HOURS to do.

So before you have a crybaby temper tantrum over something we are not obligated to do in the first place take a second to think logically. You know what, if you want it oh so bad, how about you buy a better server for this place and then Ill think about reopening it. Sound good?

Edit: Just for fun, I went into the name change thread, picked a span of 2 random days, and guess how many requests there were from those 2 days alone?

poke poke
20th October 2008, 7:54 PM
So, never opening it just because it's a lot of work is a good excuse?

No. It isn't.

First off, I'm aware that the forum lags. I know that it can be a little tedious. But you're admins here. You're supposed to make sure that the forum is the best it can be. I mean it's not like you do a lot of stuff in here anyways. Log on. Change a few names. Write it down. Log off. Divided among you admins, it's not going to take so much time.

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 7:58 PM

Did you read anything in my post at all?

"its not going to take so much time" ... how the hell would you know that? Ive dealt with the thread for over 2 years and every single time Ive done it, it does in fact take a few hours, not a couple of minutes. But who am I kidding, clearly you know more because youve actually done it am I right?

poke poke
20th October 2008, 8:04 PM
Elaborate a little more.

And what are you admins doing here anyway? There are loads of mods inactive. They haven't done anything moderatory or even posted for weeks. There are too many mods for sections that could use only two or three (coughdebatecough).

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 8:09 PM
I close and delete thread/posts/social groups every single day. Do you often see it? Not at all because I dont make posts saying AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME, I HAVE DELETE X MANY POSTS FROM THREAD Y AND INFRACTED Z MANY PEOPLE.

I dont think you can see when I temp ban or add IPs to the IP ban list either.

I never did understand members logic of "if mod has not posted in x many days that means they have done absolutely nothing." I can see all moderation logs in the admin panel. Unless you have access to that too, its silly to make claims on moderator activity based on them simply not making posts.

Also, any subforums are automatically assigned with the mods from the main forum. There is no way to add someone to the Misc forum without the system adding them to Debates on its own. The reverse works however. Again, people complain about things they just dont understand.

poke poke
20th October 2008, 8:13 PM
Also, any subforums are automatically assigned with the mods from the main forum. There is no way to add someone to the Misc forum without the system adding them to Debates on its own. The reverse works however.

I'm not talking about the Misc. mods. I'm talking about Eszett, IMPERIAL_DRAGON and others. You can't deny that they're inactive.

Back on topic to the name change, why don't you get a few mods to help you?

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 8:28 PM
Back on topic to the name change, why don't you get a few mods to help you?

10characters

poke poke
20th October 2008, 8:33 PM
Second, we have to check each persons requested name to see if its taken, make sure theyre not banned, make sure theyve followed the guidelines/rule of when you can/cannot request a name change, and then write a list of the changes made on which date.

10charlimit

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 8:44 PM
So you want me to call a mod to come over here so they can watch me do things in the admin panel and then write stuff down on a piece of paper, go home, a type it up?

If youre suggesting I spend hours doing everything, going back, and then telling a mod when I change them, and to what, and then have them type it all up? That would take even more time. Even if a mod went through and figured out which people were ok to get their names changed, I would still need to have to write down on my own when I change them and to what. Also, the mods cant see if banned names are already taken, so I still have to do that myself.

Lets do some math. This requires 4 windows to be open at once.

Say it takes me 3 minutes to check if the rules are being followed, then copy the user name, look it up in the admin panel, then copy the requested, submit it into the admin panel, and type up the change for one person. I already stated that there were 2 random days that added up to 52 people. So if it takes me 3 minutes, that would be 2.6 hours if I encountered not one second of lag here. If the lag on the forum put it to an average of 5min per person that leaves me with over 4hrs of work. And thats just for 2 days.

Of course, that is a simple, easy, fast thing to do correct?

poke poke
20th October 2008, 8:56 PM
No no no

Get a few mods to check up who all are good for names. They'll report it to you. It'll still take time to write it down but you'd save a lot of it.

And you're acting like you're the only admin here. Make a list of the name changes in the staff forum or whatever. You can cross out names that are taken so that the other admins won't get confused. The mods can edit it and add new names that are to be changed. You could carry it out in a smooth manner.

Instead of whining about it being too hard or taking too much time, you could actually figure out a way so that it could take a lot less.

Azurne
20th October 2008, 8:57 PM
Sounds to me like Serebii needs to hire someone for the sole-purpose of name-changing then. *shrug*. That way the rest of you won't have to bother with it.

I'm not trying to go against you, Jess, I just think that one you start something you should finish it.

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 9:01 PM
SO what do you think we did for 2 yearS? Weve tried opening it various ways.

Other mods looking at who follows the rules takes of only a few seconds, as Ive said, I still need to verify the names in the panel because mods can not do that.

The only possible admins here to change it are Me, and VH. Chris and Razor IIRC want nothing to do with the thread because of past problems and shitty members.

I fail to see how Im whining. Every time Im trying to explain to *****ing members how this takes a damn long time to do but people remain ignorant. Again, this is not something we are obligated to do or even a part of being an admin. It was a privilege. If anything, you should all be crying that the hack that allows people to change their own names isnt implemented.

Edit: Sounds to me like Serebii needs to hire someone for the sole-purpose of name-changing then. *shrug*. That way the rest of you won't have to bother with it.

^ only admins can do it. It would be idiotic to hand over admin status to people just for the sake of changing names.

Azurne
20th October 2008, 9:11 PM
Edit: Sounds to me like Serebii needs to hire someone for the sole-purpose of name-changing then. *shrug*. That way the rest of you won't have to bother with it.

^ only admins can do it. It would be idiotic to hand over admin status to people just for the sake of changing names.

I realize only an admin can do it, I saw that. Why would it be idiotic? If you find responsible people who are willing to do it you may as well let them. :/

Zero Nexus
20th October 2008, 9:14 PM
I see where you're going with all of this, but you haven't said anything about getting on with the name changes. You haven't even touched the thread for months, and if we ask about it, you bite our heads off and wouldn't explain why. Somebody had to say SOMETHING.

Thing is though, if you put something off, it just stays there and gets worse and worse as time goes by. IF you want people to stop nagging you to change their usernames then you should at least TRY to do something about it. I think the guy who started this thread was trying to encourage somebody to reopen it.

SHUCKLE MAN
20th October 2008, 10:00 PM
I see where you're going with all of this, but you haven't said anything about getting on with the name changes. You haven't even touched the thread for months, and if we ask about it, you bite our heads off and wouldn't explain why. Somebody had to say SOMETHING.

Thing is though, if you put something off, it just stays there and gets worse and worse as time goes by. IF you want people to stop nagging you to change their usernames then you should at least TRY to do something about it. I think the guy who started this thread was trying to encourage somebody to reopen it.

The point that Jess is trying to make is that she, and others have already tried, and have done so for a number of years.

This was also brought up in the SPPf suggestion thread a little while ago, with just as vigorous a response from the staff.

And, I don't think anybody will think of a valid idea that the staff haven't thought of. I'm presuming that they've thought of ways to make this work on numerous occasions, and have actually put a significant amount of thought into it.

I think it should be quite clear what the admins' stance is on the situation by now...

Kiori
20th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Putting my two cents. =P

I realize only an admin can do it, I saw that. Why would it be idiotic? If you find responsible people who are willing to do it you may as well let them. :/

Trust me, that is not a good idea. Mods work through the ladder. If one regular member/mod suddenly shot up to an admin, it's not a pretty sight. The mods who has been promoted worked their butts off, so seeing someone who went to the top just for that task...doesn't seem fair, don't you think? :P Unless of course, you mean you or some of the other people who complain/whine, then I think it's pretty clear the answer's a "no". :x

Maybe the "stickied" thread should just be deleted. If there's no "evidence" left to be found by regular members, then the staff won't get such a complaint. I fail to see how 5 months will kill people when we had no such privilege for the first 2 or so years. :x And I am one of those people who don't see how it's something Jess should "finish" since it's not an analogy to a "storyline", but well, that's my pov.

Shining Mew
20th October 2008, 11:25 PM
Not to mention handing out absolute power for the sake of getting people a privilege is just asking for abuse to happen.

I still fail to understnad why people are so insistent on saying changing the names does not take a lot of time when they have never had to do it, I have many times, I say it takes hours, I use actual numbers to prove it, and people still are all BUT U LAZY SIR IT TAKES 2 SECONDS TO DO 89 NAME CHANGERZ Y U SO DUM!?!?!?

How many times did I explain it already? It takes way too long to do all of it. Condemning someone to change usernames on a forum for over 4 hours for 2 days worth of requests is ridiculous. Not to mention its something completely irrelevant of the duties and expectations of being an admin. No one is promoted to admin based on their ability to change names.

How is letting something build up overnight/in 48 hours putting it off Zero Nexus? 52 in 2 days. No one in their right mind should have 4 spare hours to sit at a computer and deal with the laggy hell of SPPf to change members names. Weve tried reopening the thread many *different* times and it always ends the same. No matter how you slice it, it will always take up large quantities of time.

Also to mention, this is not a job. We are not paid for modding here. We do it on our own free time, when we have the time. No one is expected to glue themselves to the computer, or even make this place a priority over things in life which are obviously more important, like schoolwork. I certainly dont expect the staff members to even be on the forums every single day.

I seriously feel like Ive repeated myself at least thirty times now yet the same questions or accusations pop up after I clearly explained them. Be reasonable.

Azurne
21st October 2008, 12:35 AM
Putting my two cents. =P

Trust me, that is not a good idea. Mods work through the ladder. If one regular member/mod suddenly shot up to an admin, it's not a pretty sight. The mods who has been promoted worked their butts off, so seeing someone who went to the top just for that task...doesn't seem fair, don't you think? :P Unless of course, you mean you or some of the other people who complain/whine, then I think it's pretty clear the answer's a "no". :x

No I didn't mean me. Why would I try to promote myself? @.@

Mods do work through the ladder, but they do other things as well. All the person would need is the power to change the names. They wouldn't have the authority to officially mod, etc. Just change names. :/ Or if you'd like it better, maybe promote one of the mods who's up to the task, and promote someone else to mod in their stead. And seriously, this is a Pokemon Forum... if someone is heartbroken about seeing something as trivial as mod status, they have issues.

Ellie
21st October 2008, 12:53 AM
No I didn't mean me. Why would I try to promote myself? @.@

Mods do work through the ladder, but they do other things as well. All the person would need is the power to change the names. They wouldn't have the authority to officially mod, etc. Just change names. :/ Or if you'd like it better, maybe promote one of the mods who's up to the task, and promote someone else to mod in their stead. And seriously, this is a Pokemon Forum... if someone is heartbroken about seeing something as trivial as mod status, they have issues.
You don't understand, though. If someone has the power to change names, they have access to the entire ACP, which can change just about anything to do with SPPf. So it'd be impossible to promote someone just to change names, as they'd be able to access everything else. It's not just being heartbroken over something as "trivial" as mod status, whoever can change it can change just about anything.

Many other forums function just fine without name changes. If you want to blame someone, don't blame the admins that you call lazy (who have to do a hell of a lot to keep the forums running instead of changing the names of a bunch of whiny members), blame the members who abused the system and got a name change when the thread open just because they could. Like Jess said, the majority of people were just changing their name from MUNCHLAX_RULZ to //~~MYSTERIOUS*ANGST~~// because they decide to get a new one when they can.

Azurne
21st October 2008, 12:59 AM
You don't understand, though. If someone has the power to change names, they have access to the entire ACP, which can change just about anything to do with SPPf. So it'd be impossible to promote someone just to change names, as they'd be able to access everything else. It's not just being heartbroken over something as "trivial" as mod status, whoever can change it can change just about anything.

Many other forums function just fine without name changes. If you want to blame someone, don't blame the admins that you call lazy (who have to do a hell of a lot to keep the forums running instead of changing the names of a bunch of whiny members), blame the members who abused the system and got a name change when the thread open just because they could. Like Jess said, the majority of people were just changing their name from MUNCHLAX_RULZ to //~~MYSTERIOUS*ANGST~~// because they decide to get a new one when they can.

No, I *do* understand they are able to access everything else, you just have to pick a responsible person who is honest and won't use them.

I haven't called the admins lazy either, I don't know where you're getting that from. I appreciate that this is almost like a full-time job, except they're not getting paid. And aren't there rules about being on this site for at least six months and keeping your new name for a certain amount of time anyway? :/

Atoyont
21st October 2008, 12:59 AM
I didn't want the two name changes I got just because, I wanted them because I was unsatisfied with my current username. Frankly I'm not completely satisfied with my current username, but I never will be entirely comfortable with anyone that I get, so I'm keeping it.

Knowing how troublesome it is, this makes me somewhat annoyed that Eefi (is she Angeling now?) got so many name changes shortly after her modship. But that's a thing of the past.

Ellie
21st October 2008, 1:05 AM
No, I *do* understand they are able to access everything else, you just have to pick a responsible person who is honest and won't use them.

I haven't called the admins lazy either, I don't know where you're getting that from. I appreciate that this is almost like a full-time job, except they're not getting paid. And aren't there rules about being on this site for at least six months and keeping your new name for a certain amount of time anyway? :/
Hahahaha, are you serious? There is no one on this forum who wouldn't at least look at all of the other features if Joe suddenly adminned them and said "ok you can change names but not do anything else, kk? ^____^".

I'm not necessarily referring to you with the lazy admins comment. Others in this thread have said/implied that's what they think. The rule in the last thread was it has to have been at least two months since your last change. I believe so, anyway.

Knowing how troublesome it is, this makes me somewhat annoyed that Eefi (is she Angeling now?) got so many name changes shortly after her modship. But that's a thing of the past.
Yes, she's Angeling. Like custom avatars, moderators have somewhat earned the right to get name changes. Even so, moderators getting name changes doesn't happen very often (at least, right now anyway), so it's not much to complain about.

Shining Mew
21st October 2008, 1:12 AM

Not to mention handing out absolute power for the sake of getting people a privilege is just asking for abuse to happen.

And how do you gain our trust here on a forum? By proving yourself as a member --> mod -- > mod + ... etc. Even that sometimes proves to fail, as in the past we did have one abusive admin who was a "clean" mod up until the final promotion.

Theres no way that we could just be like "Ok, personX can have full admin rights from now on just for something frivolous based on the fact that they claim to be honest and not abusive." The whole point of having a staff team here is to help Joe maintain and keep his forums running, not to give members cookies because they cry for them. Giving out handfuls of admin access to play with usernames does not help in keeping the forums going in the slightest. Its not a necessity.

Erik Destler
21st October 2008, 1:39 AM
Actually, there's an addon/hack (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101326) that allows admins to set what usergroups (as in, you could set it to where super modertors could do name changes) can do name changes.
And there's also an addon (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101411) that shows username history.

The only problem that could possibly be encountered might be updating it - but it surely isn't impossible, right?

Just thought I'd throw this out there. :x

Shining Mew
21st October 2008, 1:53 AM
Actually, there's an addon/hack (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101326) that allows admins to set what usergroups (as in, you could set it to where super modertors could do name changes) can do name changes.
And there's also an addon (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101411) that shows username history.

The only problem that could possibly be encountered might be updating it - but it surely isn't impossible, right?

Just thought I'd throw this out there. :x

If anything, you should all be crying that the hack that allows people to change their own names isnt implemented.

Already mentioned hacks... although its not the specific one you were talking about. Still the same problem: Joe doesnt like them.

SHUCKLE MAN
21st October 2008, 2:17 AM
Already mentioned hacks... although its not the specific one you were talking about. Still the same problem: Joe doesnt like them.

Well, I don't blame people for not liking them. They're very risky to use, and sure, if everything goes right, it's all good, but some turn out to be an absolute mess too.

-SI-
21st October 2008, 2:59 AM
I hate to be a bother by repeating already said words, but I want to put in my opinion.
As said, you've been here for only 4 months.
I've been here for 3 years, and have had 2 name changes (at least I think so). And you know what? If I was to pick a name, I would prefer it to be one that would be fine with me in later years.
Similar to Myspace url names. People put things such as 'pynkfrogy222', and thus summening a joke 3 years later, when they wish it was something like '/michelle222' or something.
Now I'm sure you have no idea how much work these Admins put into their work. I sure do, and I respect the work they do. They do NOT have time, (all of this has been said) to do little things like change names you aren't comfortable with. You picked it, am I right?
I wouldn't mind a name change right now, but I don't put myself before others and demand what I want. I go with what they're capable of. It's disrespectful to do such a thing to such a hard working member of SPPf.
Plus, what does a name have on the serious-ness of your posts, in which you lack? If you can prove you can post smart, you can have your name known.
I'm no expert, but I am sick of everybody whining constantly about what this forum lacks, and not taking to effect what it has in store for us Pokèmon fans around the world.
Amen.

Xenieon
21st October 2008, 3:13 AM
Ideas from the average SPPf member: JUST GET BACK OFF YOUR LAZY BUTTS AND OPEN THE DAMN THREAD! 5 months is too long!!!
Ideas from a genius(yours truly-IQ of 175(Cattell); 150(Stanford-Binet); 147(IQ Test Labs)[enough bragging]:You could just lower the amount of times someone could request a name change. Like once per phase of posts; or 10 over all times EVER. That would lower the amount of idiots asking for a name change and leave room for me to change my nick to Aer.
~Sincerely, Xenieon~

Tiffany
21st October 2008, 4:17 AM
First and foremost, people should think about their names when they first join. The name changing ability isn't always going to be accessible to everyone's content.

Just as already reiterated, admins have lives too. The lag doesn't really help a hell lot, also. Hell, even modding alone takes a while because of the downtime that happens a lot.

poke poke
21st October 2008, 5:42 AM
Right.... tell me how the assistant admins at PC can change names but only have access to some areas of the admin CP.

GrizzlyB
21st October 2008, 5:47 AM
Ideas from the average SPPf member: JUST GET BACK OFF YOUR LAZY BUTTS AND OPEN THE DAMN THREAD! 5 months is too long!!!
Ideas from a genius(yours truly-IQ of 175(Cattell); 150(Stanford-Binet); 147(IQ Test Labs)[enough bragging]:You could just lower the amount of times someone could request a name change. Like once per phase of posts; or 10 over all times EVER. That would lower the amount of idiots asking for a name change and leave room for me to change my nick to Aer.
~Sincerely, Xenieon~

Who cares what you think your IQ is? Even if those were right, I'd say it's pretty inverted from your ideas. Allowing a name change per rank would surely encourage spamming, and even if the limit were ten, there would still be people changing it at every opportunity they got, and, with the constant flow of new members, probably wouldn't alleviate the problem a whole lot. Not to mention, that's why the time rule was already implemented, and if there were any ideas out there that would actually help, the staff surely would have already thought of them.

PsiUmbreon
21st October 2008, 6:03 AM
Why can't people just be happy with the name they have?

Josiah
21st October 2008, 6:05 AM
*****ing and moaning won't get anyone anywhere. If anything you're screwing yourselves over. This is coming from someone waiting for a name change.

~Sincerely, Xenieon~ Contrary to your belief, nobody cares what your IQ is. You are still a moron, and anyone can lie about IQ over the internet.

Kataki
21st October 2008, 9:07 AM
Perhaps you admins could only open the thread for a week every two months or something, and during the time it isn't open you could slowly change the names that were requested. That way, you only need to do around 3 or so every time you log on.

iunno, just an idea.

EDIT: About that hack... it isn't a bad idea. I mean, would surbijoe rather his members content or constantly moaning? Implementing the hack MAY be something he does not like, but it would ease a lot of pressure off the already stressed-out admins, and would make the members happier. Then again, members are always finding something to ***** about. >>;

HoennMaster
21st October 2008, 9:15 AM
Congratulations people...this is why they don't like to do it. Ungrateful people. Here goes my chances of getting one. I just talked about this in another topic. Let it be and let the staff figure out what to do with the thread instead of *****ing about it.

Zero Nexus
21st October 2008, 9:42 AM
You said they can set who does the name changes? Than why not have a certain group and set it to them, so the admins can do all that other stuff they do while the group handles the name change. That will save you all a lot of work and is probably the most logical thing to do. And all of this doesn't change the fact that NOBODY IS TOUCHING THE THREAD AT ALL. Also, i'm sure this has already been asked before, but why not just give everybody the ability to change their own names? (JUST their own, obviously) I've seen tons of websites where you can do that, so why not just do that here?

~Spacial_Rendation~
21st October 2008, 10:43 AM
I made a mistake in the Name Change thread and I want to edit it. I don't WANT the name to change to the one I put in there. I can wait. I just don't want my name to change into the one I posted there.

Zero Nexus
21st October 2008, 10:46 AM
I made a mistake in the Name Change thread and I want to edit it. I don't WANT the name to change to the one I put in there. I can wait. I just don't want my name to change into the one I posted there.

That is EXACTLY what i mean. If we could all just change our own names at will then none of us would have all this agro.

Angelic Pika
21st October 2008, 11:15 AM
That is EXACTLY what i mean. If we could all just change our own names at will then none of us would have all this agro.

Not that I'm on anybody's side here but..

If every member would have the power to change their names at will, would you like every kid posting here to be MUNCHLAX_RULZ or whatever then the next day be //~~MYSTERIOUS*ANGST~~// and back again and whatever. It would be annoying. And I think the mods need to record who's who, and if we can change our names at will, then they'll just get confused.

Why don't all the people *****ing about this just stop and put themselves in the admin's shoes to think about what it would feel if they were the ones to change usernames everyday. Don't forget the fact that we all have lives too.

Just my two cents 83

Zero Nexus
21st October 2008, 11:25 AM
Obviously we wouldn't want that. Maybe make it a bit more logical, say, you have to have a name for 2 months before you can change it.

poke poke
21st October 2008, 11:26 AM
Keep it so that you can only change your name once a month or whatever. There's a software for it, I believe.

And while I patiently wait for an admin to drop by, I'd advice everyone to quit the sucking up.

EDIT: I see that Jess has ignored my mods question. Still waay too many of them.

palingensia
21st October 2008, 11:34 AM
I don't see why everybody's complaining. We all had the choice of username when we first signed up, if you don't like it anymore then you shouldn't bug the admins (who have far better things to do) to change it.

Just my opinion.

Angelic Pika
21st October 2008, 11:38 AM
We're not sucking up if that's how you look at it. We're just here thinking if we were the mods we would hate that stuff too. Just because we're defending the mods doesn't mean we're sucking up. It's called freedom of expression, mind you.

Oh and about the software thing:

If anything, you should all be crying that the hack that allows people to change their own names isnt implemented.

Jess has already said it from the start. :/

Why do you guys want it so badly? If you want a different name, why didn't you just choose a nicer one when you first joined? I don't really get it. [Don't call me slow, I've known that since I was born]

poke poke
21st October 2008, 12:02 PM
I don't see why everybody's complaining. We all had the choice of username when we first signed up, if you don't like it anymore then you shouldn't bug the admins (who have far better things to do) to change it.

Just my opinion.

I'll answer the topic about why you should change it later, but first the thing about admins: Far better things to do? What exactly?

Why do you guys want it so badly? If you want a different name, why didn't you just choose a nicer one when you first joined? I don't really get it. [Don't call me slow, I've known that since I was born]

Take my example. I joined two years ago with a stupid name I picked randomly with the first four words of pokemon doubled. I was inactive during the first as well as second name change. And now, when I'm finally active, I realise that I'm stuck with this stupid name because the admins aren't bothering brining back the name change thread.

This is the only forum where I haven't changed my name yet and trust me, I'm a member of a lot of forums.

EDIT:
Jess has already said it from the start. :/

Jess hasn't said anything. We want the name change thread because Serebii won't allow us to change our own names.

Dragodynamite
21st October 2008, 12:11 PM
Well I understand that its much work, but what if in the thread, IF a new one will be made, can't you say that they have to tell why they want to change it in it. And only rename them if they have a good enough reason of course.
Of course that makes more to read, but probarly less people to rename. If you get what I mean.

And the change your own name thing, is just ridicuous...

poke poke
21st October 2008, 12:15 PM
And the change your own name thing, is just ridicuous...

In what way?

Dragodynamite
21st October 2008, 12:19 PM
Lets say that when a people can change his/ her name whenever, they can like change it weekly and many will get confused about what to call you and if your new or other, when its like one 6 months its liveable.
Like if i knew a member named... Typhlosiongurl, then next week change to QueenOfPink and then next week change again and so on. You will get confused.

poke poke
21st October 2008, 12:29 PM
Keep it so that you can only change your name once a month or whatever. There's a software for it, I believe.

And while I patiently wait for an admin to drop by, I'd advice everyone to quit the sucking up.

EDIT: I see that Jess has ignored my mods question. Still waay too many of them.

10charlimit

Power of Fire
21st October 2008, 12:33 PM
Wow you guys are serious about this, I changed my name once and that's that.

But you guys are very.... shall we say Malodramatic or Childish or, well I don't know, But seriously does changing your username mean anything?

No.

It's just like you wanting a haircut every 5 weeks does that change anything?

No.

So there is no point, You are wasting the poor admin's time checking for name request than checking for spam.

uhhhhh
21st October 2008, 12:34 PM

Just my opinion.

I agree, you had a chance to pick your username when you signed up, why change it now? (And this is coming from a user with, IMO, a really weird name... No, I have no plans of wanting to change it ever.) I really don't see why some people aren't happy with their usernames that they have picked themselves.

poke poke
21st October 2008, 12:42 PM
But seriously does changing your username mean anything?

Yes. Your username.

It's just like you wanting a haircut every 5 weeks does that change anything?

That's idiotic. I do have haircuts every five weeks. Some people like their hair short, you know.

I really don't see why some people aren't happy with their usernames that they have picked themselves.

My name is stupid. I was young and immature when I picked it.

And it'll do no good asking why. Some people do, some people don't.

Angelic Pika
21st October 2008, 12:59 PM
Yes. Your username.

My name is stupid. I was young and immature when I picked it.

It's not about what you have, it's about being happy with what you've got.

Then don't be young and immature when you join a forum?

We want the name change thread because Serebii won't allow us to change our own names.

Well you can't have it because all the admins have rl stuff too, and because everyone's being so immature about it. Why don't you just go to a different forum if you don't like your username here or summthin'. Sheesh.

poke poke
21st October 2008, 1:05 PM
It's not about what you have, it's about being happy with what you've got.

Then don't be young and immature when you join a forum?

1. I HATE the one I have. How can I be happy with it when I HATE it?

2. You're joking... right?

Well you can't have it because all the admins have rl stuff too, and because everyone's being so immature about it. Why don't you just go to a different forum if you don't like your username here or summthin'. Sheesh.

Oh really. Well I'm really sorry to be bugging the admins because they are oh so busy and can't even do a little thing that could please a lot of members.

First off, what do you have against my name being changed? Second, how am I being immature when the admins are refusing for no palpable reason? Thirdly, if they are so busy, WHY ARE THEY ADMINS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Angelic Pika
21st October 2008, 1:16 PM

Oh really. Well I'm really sorry to be bugging the admins because they are oh so busy and can't even do a little thing that could please a lot of members.

First off, what do you have against my name being changed? Second, how am I being immature when the admins are refusing for no palpable reason? Thirdly, if they are so busy, WHY ARE THEY ADMINS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

1. Because you have no other choice :D

2. Partly~

Name changing is not a little or easy or fast thing to do. The other mods/admins/members already explained this. They're busy with maintaining the forum. You mean you'd rather be happy with your brand new username even though the whole forum is under chaos and you can't even show it off with all of the spam and crap? Riiiiight.

I don't have anything against your name being changed. Just that if you're the only one to be given a chance, then the topic of favoritism will rise. Admins being there to "please" the average forum goer [as you put it in terms] have to change the name of gazillions of other members for them to be "satisfied" Which leads us to the situation with have now. They have a palpable reason: they're not yet finished with the first one because there are a lot of people who want their names changed and it takes a long process for it to go through. They are admins because they are trusted by Serebii/Joe to keep the forum under control.

What I've typed is mostly said again, and again, and again by the other posters which seem to be ignored ):

uhhhhh
21st October 2008, 1:19 PM

Dude, it's like your name in real life. Don't like it? There's not much you can do about it. The only difference is that, persumably, you choose your username.

And I don't think she's joking EDIT: ...right. Partly.

Zero Nexus
21st October 2008, 1:31 PM
If that's the case, they SHOULD let us change our own usenames, but only let us change it every few months or so. That way, it wouldn't be the admin's problem now, would it?

Ellie
21st October 2008, 1:33 PM
This thread is still going? Why can't you people give it up already? If I was an admin, I'd be more encouraged to never offer the service again based on the way most of these people are acting.

You all act like name-changing is something that's your God-given right for joining this forum. It's not. It's not necessary to keep the forums functional and free of chaos, nor does anyone appear to really appreciate it.

Second, how am I being immature when the admins are refusing for no palpable reason? Thirdly, if they are so busy, WHY ARE THEY ADMINS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!
I felt like I had to respond to this one.

Jess and several of the lower-level staff members have given you several reasons why there is no thread. It takes hours to do, the members don't appreciate it and only get requests because they can, and a whole load of other reasons. You and the other whiners just refuse to listen.

Admins and other staff members don't necessarily need to be on SPPf 24-7. The only thing that's required of us is to come on often enough to keep whatever part of the forum we manage functional. Here's a small list of a few things that only admins can do (and there are many others):
-IP Banning troublesome members
-Modding/demodding/promoting users
-Adding/removing/editting sections
-Taking away signature or PM privelages

Again, this is only a small list that I could think of at 4:30 AM. And it's not even counting all of the lower-level work that they do, like infractions/temporary bans, signature removals, deleting/closing threads, and other things.

Just because they don't feel like wasting their time to take away from their more important jobs and do something that's not even required does not make them lazy.

Dramatic Melody
21st October 2008, 1:37 PM

Admins are not your servants.

First off, we (well, I) have nothing against your name being changed, but I have something against the way you act just because you don't get something you want. It's not like you're going to kill yourself if you don't have your name changed or anything.

Second, Jess has made the reason "palpable" since her first post. The only thing missing is your acceptance of said reason.

Thirdly, admins are humans. They have this thing called lives. It's what happens when they're not behind this thing called the computer.

If you're saying a prerequisite in becoming an admin is having your entire life dedicated to the pleasing of the members of an online forum, then I have no idea why you consider your argument valid.

Btw, I regret making this post. x_x

Zero Nexus
21st October 2008, 1:47 PM
If you all have many more other things to do, then why is it your job? I can see why they're so swamped the amount of admins there are compared to how many people want their names changed, but if that's the case, it shouldn't be an admin job. What we need is a big group of people who it IS their job to do it, like some of the lower mods. That way they would be done much quicker. Or, as i have said multiple times, give us all the ability to change our own usernames every few months.

Ellie
21st October 2008, 1:54 PM
Again.

The way that the system is set up, only admins can change names, because giving access to that part of the ACP is giving access to the entire ACP. It would not be wise or fair to give ACP access to a group of members/lower staff members just because a load of users can't accept the name they have. And you can't have the ability to change your own names because Joe doesn't use hacks/unofficial plugins, and that's what those are.

You people just don't listen, do you?

Angelic Pika
21st October 2008, 1:54 PM
Being an Admin is not a job. It's privilege. IIRC, Jess already said this. We can't remove the fact that only an Admin can do it because that's how vBulletin works. If you bring up the hack thing, we already know that Serebii/Joe does not want to use it. He calls that shots, you can't do anything against that. If you bring up the fact that why don't we just magically put some "honest" members to be Admins, well.. this is the internet. You don't really know who these people are >>;

The ability to change usernames on our own has already been answered ):

Zero Nexus
21st October 2008, 2:08 PM
So how is there any way around all of this?

Ellie
21st October 2008, 2:10 PM
The members stop asking and whining about name changes, and possibly some day a better solution could be implemented. But the responses to this thread just seem to prove the admins' point that the members wanting them are inconsiderate and ungrateful.

Blue Snover
21st October 2008, 3:01 PM
Mind if i chime in

The members feel that they can't be trusted, because a of a few members the Admins feel might change things in the forums other than usernames, which i doubt the majority would, because it would mean the forums would be ruined for everyone.

The Admins are under pressure, trying to sort out other things on the forums and they haven't got the time to look at changing usernames, i don't envy you whatsovever, because this must be a pretty thankless job.

I personally like my username or i wouldn't have picked it, but not everyone is the same.

I think the best option to end the arguing, would be for the Admins and Serebii to speak to a few members they know they can trust, and ask them to take charge of name changes on a trial basis, say 6 months.

If it doesn't work out then an announcement should be put out by Serebii saying that there will be no further name changes allowed for any member including Mods & Admins.

That to me seems like an option that could work for everyone.

I know that you most of you won't agree with me, but i'm putting it out there anyway.

Ellie
21st October 2008, 3:19 PM
You doubt that anyone would mess up the forums if given that power? The majority of random users would do just that. Those who are admins have become so because they've proven themselves to be trustworthy by working hard through the ranks. If someone suddenly shot up to admin after being lower, I doubt they'd have any respect for the power. The members that are trustworthy are for the most part already mods/higher (or chat ops, but they aren't always active on the forums). Random members are not going to be adminned JUST to do something that's not even necessary. Oh and admins can change their own names so I doubt it'll ever come to be "no further name changes for any member including mods/admins." And again, for other lower staff members, it's like custom avatars, it's a small gift for helping out on the forums.

Blue Snover
21st October 2008, 3:26 PM
Fair enough Chaos Emerald.

But i wasn't talking about random users.

I meant people who have been here a long time but have not been modded, there must be a few surely.

The Admiral
21st October 2008, 3:28 PM
This thread is still going? Why can't you people give it up already? If I was an admin, I'd be more encouraged to never offer the service again based on the way most of these people are acting.

Why? 'cause we're selfish douchebags!

I say we could, if we wanted to do this, enforce new limits, e.g. "You have to have been a member for a year to get one." Here's how it could be done:
Make a thread for it.
Lock it at the end of the period. At this point, go through and kill posts which violate the requirements.
Do them gradually -- probably make the period of time over which the changes are made twice the period when requests are collected; delete posts as you go. After all are done, delete the thread.
Make a new thread if you choose and go from there.

In theory this should balance the desires of the ignorant masses and the fact that the admins largely hate this menial labor. Yes, they'll still have to do it, but hopefully it'll be less. If people whine about it taking too long? No name change for them! (Possibly some infractions, too.)

It might work, it might not. It's just a thought, really. Of course, this might still need someone else to be employed to do this ****, which I don't see happening.

eta:
I meant people who have been here a long time but have not been modded, there must be a few surely.

They should also be good, responsible users, keep in mind.

Mr. Mudkip
21st October 2008, 3:40 PM
meh, it'd be nice to have it open, but I can see where Jess was coming from. It doesn't need to get opened, but it would be cool.It seems as though she had enough time to change her own username though... :P

Blue Snover
21st October 2008, 3:46 PM
They should also be good, responsible users, keep in mind.

I think that goes without saying.

Angelic Pika
21st October 2008, 3:57 PM
meh, it'd be nice to have it open, but I can see where Jess was coming from. It doesn't need to get opened, but it would be cool.It seems as though she had enough time to change her own username though... :P

It's like a thank you gift for the Admins/Mods that work hard to keep this forum from going crazy. "You get name change/custom avatars if you keep forum clean" sorta thing 8D;

PurpleMew
21st October 2008, 5:30 PM
Not another argument about this.

I may not be an admin but i know alot of mods and trust me they are allmost always busy and i never get time to chat with them and plus i wouldnt mind having it reopened but making threads like these just makes you look stupid and shows you have no consideration for the admins & how long it would take to do lots of name changes and check all the details to go with it.

x

Shining Mew
21st October 2008, 5:49 PM
Wow.

First off I guess Ill have to apologize to everyone because I was not online all last night and this morning because I had a Linear Algebra midterm and I went to sleep. Clearly this is not acceptable to poke_poke, and I should have spent at least 4 of those hours changing names.

I dont understand how youre all so illiterate.

1. We can not give access to other people to change names because we have no hacks implemented into the system. Joe does not like hacks, and never has. We've asked for various ones over the years but he shoots them down every time. Giving people access to the admin panel purely to change names isnt even an option. Promoting people for the sake of changing names isnt one either.

2. IT TAKES A LONG TIME. How come you cant read? I already gave a fine example as to how long a small amount of name changes can take. 3 minutes per name change for a 2 day span in which 52 people actually requested a change takes 2.6 hours with no lag. With lag, even pushing that to 5min per makes it over 4 hours for something that is not necessary in any way to the forum

3. THIS IS NOT A JOB. We are not paid to be here, we come on our own free time. U HAV NO TIME Y YOU ADMINS!?!?!?!?! Has got to be the most idiot statement in the thread. Clearly you dont understand the concept of a mod team. We are here to aid/help Joe with the upkeep of his forums. NOT to babysit the members.

4. NAME CHANGES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING AN ADMIN. It is not part of what we need to do to help out on the forums. Whenever it was opened, it was because we were trying to give something nice to the members.

5. I have changed my name a grand total of two times in the course of 4 and a half years. Shining Mew --> Jess --> Shining Mew. And it actually took awhile to do it because the forums were lagging like **** as always. :)

Again, the issue is not our team because after all the times we tried to open it and limit the amount of **** you can request, it fails every time. If you expect me or any other admin to waste over 4 hours doing stupid name changes you might as well leave the forums right now. Instead of whining and crying about the admins perhaps you should find a way to convince Joe to add hacks/mods because until then, we're not doing anything for your privilege.