PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Obesity: is it at an all-time high?

Brumrha
22nd October 2008, 3:45 PM
During all the time that I've been working at McDonald's, I've been noticing that an awful lot of people are ordering Happy Meals. Not only that, but there are certain people who only order these Happy Meals & nothing else. Another thing is that for the large families, they sometimes can order up to four of these meals in one go, sometimes more.

All of this has me thinking: is childhood obesity at an all-time high?

I think so. Why? The thing that I've noticed is that some children eat everything that's on their plates; it doesn't matter what's on it, they'll eat it without a second thought. Once they're finished, they'll complain that they're still hungry. This is no joke, people! If those children are allowed to consume everything that's in front of them & still be hungry, then they have a problem. For once, they'll start having snacks three plus times daily. Combined with all this will result in health problems that are caused by obesity in this child. & of course, I'm contributing to this against my will...

Again, I'll let you guys duke it out from here.
*gets a LONG way away*

Little_Pikachu
22nd October 2008, 6:52 PM
This isn't really much of a debate. Childhood obesity, and indeed obesity in general is at an all time high, this is a fact.

Main blames are poor diet (increase in convenience foods full of fat and sugar due to busy parents not having time to cook properly) and lack of excersise linked to video games and more available TV options.

In the spirit of the Debate forum, I will disagree with your arguement. Children have been eating everything that's one their plates for years, when food wasn't so plentiful people would eat what they could get, during war time food was rationed so you were thankful for every bite, when I was a kid my parents made sure I cleaned my plate with the old "a child in africa would be happy to have that" tale. If anything, statistics show that we are now more wasteful with our food than ever before.

Kyogre35
22nd October 2008, 8:32 PM
Of course it's at an all-time high.

1. Because well....people just won't stop eating! And with trans fats and such around they're bound to eat stuff like French Fries and such.

2. Video Games help a lot to. Nobody is going out and doing anything, though here it's raining, I might be outside on my trampoline. So while other people are indoors.

3. Bad parenting contributes to were the parents can't say no for some reason. Their child eats bad food because the PARENT bought it for them.

So it's here and we'll just have to deal with it.

randomspot555
22nd October 2008, 8:43 PM
During all the time that I've been working at McDonald's, I've been noticing that an awful lot of people are ordering Happy Meals. Not only that, but there are certain people who only order these Happy Meals & nothing else. Another thing is that for the large families, they sometimes can order up to four of these meals in one go, sometimes more.

Well of course you're going to think that, because that's the environment that you observe. Anecdotal evidence does not always equal fact.

In this case, it is true that children are having health and weigh problems earlier and earlier. But it doesn't necessarily correlate with fast food (though it certainly doesn't help).

Ethan
23rd October 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to side with Little Pikachu on this one. Your topic was well structured but it's fairly common knowledge that childhood obesity is a huge problem in the U.S.A. and many other countries as well. If you can PM me with some clear debate material, or perhaps even an alternative topic that relates to this but can be debated, I'll have this thread opened again. Sound good?