PDA

View Full Version : The Official NZ Election Thread

Andywoo
5th November 2008, 7:41 AM
Note for mods: 'Our' election is on the 8th of November so if you could restrain yourself from closing this until then, that would be appreciated.

So, the american election is over for you guys, but for some of us their is a potentially more important election about to happen, mainly who will be the new prime minister of the country of New Zealand.

Main candidates for the election are Helen Clark (Current PM) for the Labour party and John Key for the National government. Both have promised many new policies but perhaps it will be the minor parties such as the Greens, or Act, or the Maori party.

So have no hesitation in voicing your opinions, if you a New Zealander or even if you will be effected in someway by this. Let your opinions be known.

palingensia
5th November 2008, 7:45 AM
National ftw. Uncle Helen has been far too childish in her attacks on John Key, and not his policies as such, which should be the important part. Johnny boy has dealt well and only retaliated in that debate last night I believe, so in all reality he has played his cards far better.

Andywoo
5th November 2008, 7:48 AM
I think it might be a case of people just generally getting sick of Helen Clark as well, because of some of the contraversial decisions she has made over the last few years (Toll Rail buy back, closing of Invercargill schools etc.) What I can't believe though is how Winston Peters has managed to escape this time.

legendary master Jose
5th November 2008, 7:51 AM
Definetly John Key for 2 reasons

1. He is conservative
2. Jesus christ give clark some toothpaste or something

Andywoo
5th November 2008, 7:54 AM
Agreed, but John Key hasn't exactly had the best election either. There is still the issue with the Tranz Rail shares. But frankly, Labour are getting so desparate now, I can't see anyway at all they can win, UNLESS they form coallitions with all other parties, if my knowledge of politics is correct.

palingensia
5th November 2008, 8:05 AM
I don't see how Winston got away with it either to be honest. Another reason why people probably won't go Helen Clark. You can add that to the list of her controversial decisions.

John has had a far better election than Helen. The Tranz Rail shares are only one blemish, whereas there have been far more with Labour. And yeah, I'm pretty sure she can win it with coalitions. The Greens are pretty much praying to Labour so they have on definite partner.

Andywoo
5th November 2008, 8:08 AM
True.Although I don't think Rodney Hide and Helen Clark would be best buddies in the beehive. I have a strong feeling that all the 'immature' 18-23 year olds will vote for the Legalise Cannibas Party, or the Better Christmas Party. How are these parties allowed to continue??

This election is pretty much a full-gone conclusion, just like the american one

palingensia
5th November 2008, 8:12 AM
No, there would definitely be a few more spats in parliament if Hide and Helen joined forces. That would be epic fail.

Don't forget Bill & Ben. They might actually get a decent amount of votes from those idiots who vote for the hell of it. I have no idea how they continue, but they don't get far so let's not complain.

It is, but things change.

Andywoo
5th November 2008, 8:20 AM
I forgot to mention the Sue Bradford issue as well. Helen Clark shouldn't be prime minister just because of this law.

As you say though, things change. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if Labour came up with one last-gasp effort at unseating Mr. Key, which would proably be something bery desparate and very non-inportant at all.

palingensia
5th November 2008, 8:22 AM
Sue Bradford issue? It is unfamiliar to me.

They probably will, fail miserably and complain about it for the next 3 years.

Andywoo
5th November 2008, 8:55 AM
The anti-smacking rule. The most biggest brain-fart ever to come out of the government (which means it is a BIG issue). I just can't see how they are going to get out of this, unless they pull out some ancient technacality saying they are still in power or something along those lines.

palingensia
5th November 2008, 8:57 AM
Ah, that pile of crap. I don't think I've ever seen something from the government fail as much as that. I don't even know what happened with that whole ordeal in the end. It'll be a big setback though, that's for sure.

Bobby Frank JR
6th November 2008, 4:56 AM
Danmit I hate Helen Fark. She (I mean he) is a monster. So I go John Key. Lol Anti-Spanking law. Haha, seems parents are getting their revenge on their kids by other means. =[

Ethan
6th November 2008, 5:21 AM
Well this is neat. How do NZ politics work?

palingensia
6th November 2008, 5:25 AM
I'm no expert, but I'll do my best.

Pretty much we just have a whole bunch of parties (Greens, Labour, National, etc) and come election day every 5% of the vote they get earns them one seat I believe. It's something like that. And then there are coalitions between minor parties to boost the major party. The coalitions pretty much make or break the whole thing, since it's so close between National and Labour.

Very vague I know, but like I said I'm no expert.

Andywoo
6th November 2008, 7:14 AM
Babylon, there are 122 seats in our parliament. A party (or parties) has to win 62 of the seats. If a single perty wins 62 then they can govern alone. I think on todays news they said National are on 58 seats at the moment, so they are very close to governing alone.

I see that Labour are having a go at Rodney Hide because he was wearing a yellow blazer. I think that sums up the Labour party, quite frankly. :-(

palingensia
6th November 2008, 7:58 AM
National have 59 based on that poll. They just need Act's 4 was it?

And yeah, Labour have been desperate for a while now.

Andywoo
6th November 2008, 8:02 AM
I'm pretty sure it was only 58. I think you might have added progressive's seat to national. I think they only need Progressive and Act though. Labour need Greens, Maori and something else and they end up with.................60. There screwed in other words.

palingensia
6th November 2008, 8:03 AM
Ah well, probably. But that's only based on that poll, and not everybody will have voted in that poll.

Bobby Frank JR
7th November 2008, 6:13 AM
We have labour day on 26 October. If national gets elected will it become National day? Or if the greens; Green day? Etc... That's been pondering in my head for ages...

Andywoo
7th November 2008, 6:16 AM
We have labour day on 26 October. If national gets elected will it become National day? Or if the greens; Green day? Etc... That's been pondering in my head for ages...

I asked Otaku the exact same question a few weeks ago. I reckon it will still be called Labour Day, because isn't Labour day a day for workers, not the party. At least it's a national holiday though.

Bobby Frank JR
7th November 2008, 6:27 AM
I asked Otaku the exact same question a few weeks ago. I reckon it will still be called Labour Day, because isn't Labour day a day for workers, not the party. At least it's a national holiday though.

Hahaha lol, nice pun. Yes, it is quite sad that we have a day dedicated to labour and work, and a party with a HUGE misleading name.

Andywoo
7th November 2008, 11:31 AM
Hahaha lol, nice pun. Yes, it is quite sad that we have a day dedicated to labour and work, and a party with a HUGE misleading name.

Yup. At least it will all be over (apart from the usual reaction news where we need to know what some guy from the wop-wops thinks on the whole situation) tomorrow. Lets hope our pole results are realistic.

Bobby Frank JR
7th November 2008, 8:51 PM
*Sigh* Election day today... Who's it gonna be? I'm hoping we don't have the hideous monster for another 3 years =[

Andywoo
7th November 2008, 10:01 PM
Don't talk about John Key that way!!

Nah, I am 70% sure that the public will make the right decision. Lets hope we don't have to wait to long to find out Johnny Boy has won.

Bobby Frank JR
8th November 2008, 4:55 AM
Hehe only 2 more hours till voting closes. *Champange appears* Here's to a better future!

Andywoo
8th November 2008, 8:47 AM
Well, the voting has ended, so it is time for this thread to end. Thank you to all who posted their opinions. Lets hope for change! Mods (or more accurately Babylon, you can close this thread)

Bobby Frank JR
8th November 2008, 8:52 PM
Yep, John key has won and Helen clark has stood down as Labour party leader. It's over now. New Zealand has the change they wanted.

I'm guessing this needs to be closed!