PDA

View Full Version : What is your best Double Battle strategy?

Pages : 1 [2]

Rhys29
20th December 2008, 9:53 PM
Light screen/reflect don't raise stats, they reduce damage from their respective attacks by a flat %. Also, light clay doubles the duration to 10 turns (same applies to the weather rocks) Come to think of it, gravity and TR are the only "5 turn effect" that can't be extended with an item.

If the holder uses Reflect or Light Screen, then it will last for eight turns, instead of the usual five. This also works even after the holder switches out. Safeguard and Tail Wind do not get the turn boost.

Straight from Smogon. Same for weather rocks... get your facts straight. My bad on the specification, it was late. Smeargle doesn't count becuase he can learn every move so it's kinda dumb to include him. Also what do you mean by Swagger? I don't see anyone listing it anywhere...

Rhys29
21st December 2008, 2:55 AM
Alright, heres for you still building/figuring out your teams, my next guide (it's actually for any team anywhere, but okay).

~RHYS29'S GUIDE TO DB TEAM BUILDING: RESISTANCE~

Well hello. Time for stage 4 of my operations. Now you know effective underused moves and effective overused moves. You know how to counter specific teams. You know how to build a good weather team. Now what am I going to be talking about? Non-weather teams. As weather still being the best way to take on an enemy, it can still be easily shut down, as I've stated. If they rely too much on the weather, taking it away ends them. Stopping the TR can stop all TR teams from having any effect on you what-so-ever. What if you're not a fan of weather? You can build a DB without weather and still have just as good a team. Now, before I begin throwing your team together, start making weakness charts. This is a basic format I have been using:
Key: 0 null(+2), ++ = resistx4(+2), + = resist(+1), / = neutral(0), * = SE(-1), ** SEx4(-2)
~Jolteon: Ground
Ground: Gyrados0, Crobat0, Arcanine*, Tangrowth+, Mantine0
- Excellent coverage (6 points).

With the point system you can see how your team overall covers a type. As long as you have two viable resists to each SE move, you have a good reason to add a poke to your team. Now let's take a look at the rest of the team, hmm (keep in mind I literally just threw in random pokes)?

~Gyrados: Rock and Electric
Rock: Jolteon/, Crobat*, Arcanine*, Tangrowth/, Mantine*
Electric: Jolteon0, Crobat*, Arcanine/, Tangrowth+, Mantine**
- Poor coverage (-3 points). Rock is a problem to this team.

~Crobat: Rock, Psychic, Ice, and Electric
Rock: Jolt/, Gyra*, Arc*, Growth/, Tine*
Psychic: Jolt/, Gyra/, Arc/, Growth/, Tine/
Ice: Jolt/, Gyra/, Arc+, Growth*, Tine/
Electric: Jolt0, Gyra**, Ar/, Growth+, Tine**
- Very poor coverage (-5 points). Rock is a big problem. Ice is a problem. Psychic is a problem.

~Arcanine: Water, Ground, and Rock
Water: Jolt/, Gyra+, Cro/, Growth+, Tine0
Ground: Jolt*, Gyra0, Cro0, Growth+, Tine0
Rock: Jolt/, Gyra*, Cro*, Growth+, Tine*
- Perfect (8 points, holy crap). Rock is a big problem.

~Tangrowth: Flying, Fire, Ice, Bug, and Poison
Flying: J+, G/, C/, A/, T/
Fire: J/, G+, C/, A0, T+
Ice: J/, G/, C*, A+, T/
Bug: J/, G+,C++, A+, T+
Poison: J/, G/, C+, A/, T/
- Perfect (11 points, wow again). Ice is a problem.

~Mantine: Rock and Electric
Rock: J/, G*, C*, A*, T/
Electric: J0, G**, C*, A/, T+
-Poor coverage (-3 points). Rock is a big problem.

)Assessment: Problems - Rock, Psychic, and Ice. Electric is a viable problem. Team coverage: 11 points, good.
Okay, so you've assessed your problems. Rock and Ice are bad to be weak to, seeing as Rock Slide and Blizzard/Icy Wind are common moves. You also have two x4 weak and one x2 weak pokes to Electric, which is not gonna help you either. Now, what you need are pokes to help deal with your problems. Go through each move and find the types that resist it, then find pokes who can resist all three or two of the moves very well with one at neutral (though I can tell you the best right now is Magnezone without even going into it).
#Weakness solving
1. Rock: Steel, Fighting, and Ground.
2. Psychic: Steel, Psychic, and Dark.
3. Ice: Steel, Ice, Water, and Fire.
(Now that you have the types, list pokes who would be good at resisting these three. Start with ones that resist all the types if there are any and then pokes that resist 2. Obviously you want something Steel type.)
Pokes: Empoleon, Bronzong, Metagross, Jirachi, Mawile, Magnezone, Aggron, Bastiodon, Probopass, and Registeel.
Secondary pokes: Scizor, Steelix, Heatran, Lucario, and Forretress.
(Okay, since you have a surprisingly huge list of pokes who can resist all three moves, it's time to choose from them. But wait! You have another potential problem!)
Pokes (Electric resist): Magnezone. Magnezone is the best for the team.
(lol would you look at that? Damn am I good.)

So now you have your almighty poke that will help with every type of move you are weak to. But where do you put it? Time for a team assessment.

Jolteon: Volt Absorb/Spe, Sp.A#Special sweeper/lead)Electric(Focus Sash
Gyrados: Intimidate/Att, Spe#Physical tank)Water+Flying(Life Orb
Crobat: Inner Focus/Spe, Att#Fast disrupter)Flying+Poison(Black Sludge
Arcanine: Flash Fire/Att, Sp.A#Mixsweeper)Fire(Choce Scarf
Tangrowth: Leaf Guard/Def, Hp#Physical wall)Grass(Leftovers
Mantine: Water Absorb/Sp.D, Hp#Special wall)Water+Flying(Leftovers

As you can see, this team has good type coverage. However, Mantine and Gyrados have the same types. Thus, naturally, you would want to replace one. However, you have a tough choice to make. You can cut Mantine and lose a special or switch your Gyrados for a special tank. Looking at their abilites, Mantine walls every Water move while Gyrados cuts both foes' Att one stage upon entering. Your best option is to cut Mantine. Why? Magnezone can kill waters in a snap and Gyrados' ability is better for his team. Now to go back through the resistance chart. Keep in mind since Magnezone NEEDS Magnet Rise for DB's, he as listed as making Ground moves null since he can Levitate.

Jolteon: Ground
Ground: G0, C0, A*, T+, M0
Excellent (6 points).

Gyrados: Rock and Electric
Rock: J/, C*, A*, T/, M+
Electric: J0, C*, A/, T+, M++
Good (3 Points). Rock is a problem.

Crobat: Rock, Psychic, Ice, and Electric
Rock: J/, G*, A*, T/, M+
Psychic: J/, G/, A/, T/, M+
Ice: J/, G/, A+, T*, M+
Electric: J0, G**, A/, T+, M+
Good (3 Points). (Magnezone is already paying for itself!) Rock is a problem.

Arcanine: Water, Ground, and Rock
Water: J/, G+, C/, T+, M/
Ground: J*, G0, C0, T+, M0
Rock: J/, G*, C*, T/, M+
Excellent (6 points). (Little bit less since Mantine nulled Waters.) Rock is a problem.

Tangrowth: Flying, Fire, Ice, Bug, and Poison
Flying: J+, G/, C/, A/, M++
Fire: J/, G+, C/, A0, M*
Ice: J/, G/, C*, A+, M+
Bug: J/, G+, C++, A+, M+
Poison: J/, G/, C+, A/, M0
Incredible (14 points). (Even better than last time)

Magnezone: Fighitng and Fire (remeber Levitate)
Fighting: J/, G+, C++, A/, T/
Fire: J/, G+, C/, A0, T*
Very good (5 points). (8 points better than Mantine)

)Assessment: Rock is the main weakness. Team coverage: 37 points, Excellent.
See how much one switch did to the entire team? You could go farther by switching out another poke for more Rock resistance since it is your main weakness. I would suggest switching Arcanine to Swampert, so you have more Rock resistance and something that resists Fire as well. Also gives you two pokes with null to Electric, which could still have been a problem down the ways. However, the team works pretty well as is.

Making sure you cover your tracks for a team is very important. With weather effects not on your side, superior coverage is a must. That way you're prepared for the weather teams that come at you. After you get all the weaknesses worked out, it is then time to work on the movesets; adjusting so that you can cover everything. If you can cover all that you need or you find one poke getting in your way, you can switch down to one of the less resistant pokes that will help you with this and adjust the team accordingly. Hope this has helped everyone build their teams a little better.

[Ampharos]
21st December 2008, 2:59 AM
Well, the No Guard Ability makes things cool.
You could go around with a HP UP'd Sheer cold partner that has a really high speed and an item making it faster, maybe a focus sash.
Machamp would damage the pokemon it can handle while partner OHKOs other/bigger threat.

Haven't tried it, but should work.

Rhys29
21st December 2008, 3:14 AM
;9180363']Well, the No Guard Ability makes things cool.
You could go around with a HP UP'd Sheer cold partner that has a really high speed and an item making it faster, maybe a focus sash.
Machamp would damage the pokemon it can handle while partner OHKOs other/bigger threat.

Haven't tried it, but should work.

No Guard does not affect your partner in DB's. Only attacks directed to or used by Machamp will be 100% accurate.

Arande
21st December 2008, 4:01 AM
Straight from Smogon. Same for weather rocks... get your facts straight. My bad on the specification, it was late. Smeargle doesn't count becuase he can learn every move so it's kinda dumb to include him. Also what do you mean by Swagger? I don't see anyone listing it anywhere...

Bleh, guess it is 8 turns. I don't use smogon for anything other than double checking tier lists. I'd rather try my own movesets than copypaste...

For the comment about swagger, it's cause I read this:

Safeguard-combine with swagger to boost speed of your teammate. Or used to stop moves like Dark Void.

Rhys29
21st December 2008, 7:44 AM
Bleh, guess it is 8 turns. I don't use smogon for anything other than double checking tier lists. I'd rather try my own movesets than copypaste...

For the comment about swagger, it's cause I read this:

Ah, good catch. I make my own movesets too, so I only use them for Items, Tiers, and an effective list of pokes. I just bred a Growlithe for my Mixcanine for a DB team... apparently it has IV's of 24/26/26/12/29/23. Someone please tell me this is broken and where I can find another accurate IV calculator. Mixcanine rapes, btw, incase you are wondering if that set works.

Boomguy
21st December 2008, 12:33 PM
Ah, good catch. I make my own movesets too, so I only use them for Items, Tiers, and an effective list of pokes. I just bred a Growlithe for my Mixcanine for a DB team... apparently it has IV's of 24/26/26/12/29/23. Someone please tell me this is broken and where I can find another accurate IV calculator. Mixcanine rapes, btw, incase you are wondering if that set works.

thats what the help thread is for?

Leech Seed in doubles good idea or no?

Rhys29
21st December 2008, 12:49 PM
thats what the help thread is for?

Leech Seed in doubles good idea or no?

One combo for you: Block/Leech Seed/Amnesia/Sleep Powder on a Tangrowth. It literally wins games. Otherwise it usually forces a switch and if not than it's a good way to deal some extra softening damage to one of the pokes, so it's a good move.

Boomguy
21st December 2008, 12:52 PM
hmm thanks tangrowth isn't the pokemon i'm considering but i've already decided its not gonna have it whenever i see grass pokemon they all get taunted coz there always doing set up moves

Rhys29
21st December 2008, 12:54 PM
hmm thanks tangrowth isn't the pokemon i'm considering but i've already decided its not gonna have it whenever i see grass pokemon they all get taunted coz there always doing set up moves

You can swap out Amnesia for Power Whip if you want, that works too. But yes, Leech Seed is a good move in singles or in DB's.

Torpoleon
21st December 2008, 7:56 PM
My best is when I have Swampert and Moltres out. Swampert uses Earthquake and than Moltres uses Heat Wave to beat my double battle opponents.

Digital Love
22nd December 2008, 9:53 AM
One strategy I had involved both Breloom and Lopunny.

Breloom would be holding Toxic Orb, Lopunny was holding Lefties. Breloom has poison heal.

Basically I wait a turn for TO to poison Breloom, therefore healing. Lopunny then would Trick to lefties, giving Breloom 18.75% recovery every turn, then he'd proceed to SubPunch or Seed Bomb. Lopunny would then give my opponents TO. It worked out pretty well.

PocketmonMaster
22nd December 2008, 10:08 AM
My best strategy require 4 Pokemon; Gengar, Electrode, Shiftry and Metagross. It basically works of Gengar's immunity to Explosion and Earthquake.

To start stuff off, a ChoiceBand Electrode explodes, hopefully destroying both enemies whilst Gengar uses SunnyDay.

When Shiftry comes out, SunnyDay activates Chlorofyl and allows its Solarbeam to be used instantly. While Shiftry attacks, Gengar uses Substitute, then proceeds to attack when necessary. When Shiftry goes low on HP, it Explodes, openning the way for Metagross.

Metagross uses a bevy of attacks against the opponents and then detonates.

If all goes well (as it usually does) Gengar is the last one standing.

Its a great strategy, but I hardly find myself using it nowadays...

Boomguy
22nd December 2008, 10:10 AM

Breloom would be holding Toxic Orb, Lopunny was holding Lefties. Breloom has poison heal.

Basically I wait a turn for TO to poison Breloom, therefore healing. Lopunny then would Trick to lefties, giving Breloom 18.75% recovery every turn, then he'd proceed to SubPunch or Seed Bomb. Lopunny would then give my opponents TO. It worked out pretty well.

Sub Punch isn't really a good idea in doubles coz your asking to get it ganged up on and there fore u cannot use the punch. like how u think. what is the first moves will be? double protect?

Digital Love
22nd December 2008, 10:14 AM
True, but I've gotten it to work quite a lot. I also had a Follow Me user on my team to come in after Lop, which helped.

EDIT: By the way, Breloom's Spore can stop one of them from attacking, or causing a switch, so Focus Punch works well in that aspect.

Edit X2: At one point I also had Breloom and Crobat going, Crobat used Hypnosis and Breloom used Wake-Up Slap. I ditched it after relizing it was completely relying on subar accuracy :-/

Rhys29
22nd December 2008, 11:34 AM

Dude. This works. I am impressed. The other option is to switch Lopunny for Cresselia with Psycho Shift. Trick the TO onto him, Psycho Shift it to an opponent or two and then Trick it before Psycho Shifting off the last one. Then BoltBeam. But yeah, this can work very well.

My best strategy require 4 Pokemon; Gengar, Electrode, Shiftry and Metagross. It basically works of Gengar's immunity to Explosion and Earthquake.

To start stuff off, a ChoiceBand Electrode explodes, hopefully destroying both enemies whilst Gengar uses SunnyDay.

When Shiftry comes out, SunnyDay activates Chlorofyl and allows its Solarbeam to be used instantly. While Shiftry attacks, Gengar uses Substitute, then proceeds to attack when necessary. When Shiftry goes low on HP, it Explodes, openning the way for Metagross.

Metagross uses a bevy of attacks against the opponents and then detonates.

If all goes well (as it usually does) Gengar is the last one standing.

Its a great strategy, but I hardly find myself using it nowadays...

Pretty gimmicky and Fake Out leads laugh at your Voltorb. And Sunny Day on a non Sunny Day team where you have a poke who is weak to Fire is problematique: you may be helping your opponent more than you think. Otherwise constant exploder teams are doomed to be Damped, so you best give Electrode Spark.

Boomguy
22nd December 2008, 11:57 AM
True, but I've gotten it to work quite a lot. I also had a Follow Me user on my team to come in after Lop, which helped.

EDIT: By the way, Breloom's Spore can stop one of them from attacking, or causing a switch, so Focus Punch works well in that aspect.

Edit X2: At one point I also had Breloom and Crobat going, Crobat used Hypnosis and Breloom used Wake-Up Slap. I ditched it after relizing it was completely relying on subar accuracy :-/

ok true but Breloom isn't that fast what happens if your Breloom and Lopanny faced a fast pair like Flygon, Zapdos

Rhys29
22nd December 2008, 12:01 PM
ok true but Breloom isn't that fast what happens if your Breloom and Lopanny faced a fast pair like Flygon, Zapdos

Most people wouldn't use that cause of Blizzard death. However Lopunny is actually faster than both of them >.>

Boomguy
22nd December 2008, 12:24 PM
some1 in my clan suggested leaf storm/overheat with haze i like the idea but not the 90% accuraccy

Rhys29
22nd December 2008, 12:25 PM
some1 in my clan suggested leaf storm/overheat with haze i like the idea but not the 90% accuraccy

Yes, that works. I was going to say Mist, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the same effect. I'll check. Huh, doesn't say...

Boomguy
22nd December 2008, 12:39 PM
Yes, that works. I was going to say Mist, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the same effect. I'll check. Huh, doesn't say...

nah it won't. take Torkoals ability white smoke when it uses overheat it still reduces the sp.attack

Rhys29
22nd December 2008, 12:42 PM
nah it won't. take Torkoals ability white smoke when it uses overheat it still reduces the sp.attack

I thought so. It's a good idea however lead Eruption ScarfPhlosion does much better overall.

Arande
22nd December 2008, 2:05 PM
All the talk about explosions and stuff has me tempted to try something like a bronzong with heatproof, moves: trick room, explosion, earthquake, and imprison. Imprison looks so fun, yet so risky...

makes me wonder if you can use a smeargle to baton pass imprisoned TR to a wall. Edit: I can only find that if the users moves change, then so do the imprisoned moves. Can't find if baton pass just keeps the imprison effect, or the moves.

actually I do have a hole i one of my teams, and not sure what to put in it. Was tempted a damp psyduck or poli.

Rhys29
22nd December 2008, 9:11 PM
All the talk about explosions and stuff has me tempted to try something like a bronzong with heatproof, moves: trick room, explosion, earthquake, and imprison. Imprison looks so fun, yet so risky...

makes me wonder if you can use a smeargle to baton pass imprisoned TR to a wall. Edit: I can only find that if the users moves change, then so do the imprisoned moves. Can't find if baton pass just keeps the imprison effect, or the moves.

actually I do have a hole i one of my teams, and not sure what to put in it. Was tempted a damp psyduck or poli.

Politoad is the way to go if you want Damp. And if you have read my guides you will know why you keep Cloud Nine on Golduck. He can actually do pretty good, however his movesets are more based for Water Absorb teammates. However you may like this: Hyper Voice/Surf (Hydro Pump, Icy Wind)/Refresh (Perish Song)/Helping Hand. Kind a combination of moves, however Hyper Voice, Surf, and Icy Wind can hit all the opponents, Perish Song forces a switch, Refresh makes him a status absorber, and Helping Hand is Helping Hand (I swear this kind of term seems familiar... Earthquake?).

burninator59
23rd December 2008, 7:43 AM
usually i use my gastrodon and my staraptor. gastrodon either uses earthquake or surf. if surf, then staraptor uses fly first to not get hit. staraptor is faster, so it can always get the first move over gastrodon.

Rhys29
23rd December 2008, 3:08 PM
Okay, I am going to make another guide since these have actually been doing pretty well. I can refine most the sets I made now since I have a better grasp of the speed tiers. If I were to get this posted on Serebii, it would be something it has over Smogon lol. They only have single's rates.

On the next installment, however, I am wondering what you all want to know more about. Useful move combos? Good teamed up pokes? Abilities and how to use them? You're guys' choice.

Torpoleon
24th December 2008, 12:21 AM
usually i use my gastrodon and my staraptor. gastrodon either uses earthquake or surf. if surf, then staraptor uses fly first to not get hit. staraptor is faster, so it can always get the first move over gastrodon.
Wow. That seems like a pretty god combination! The types are almost like mine- water and ground and fire and flying!

Rhys29
24th December 2008, 4:52 AM
Wow. That seems like a pretty god combination! The types are almost like mine- water and ground and fire and flying!

>.> this is why I make guides, so people don't think stuff that is literally thrown together is good.

LiteBlue-
24th December 2008, 5:15 AM
Its not one of my main strategies but I usually have a Nidoqueen + Lucario combo. Lucario knows Copycat, and Nidoqueen knows Ice Beam, Earth Power, and Flamethrower, which all together get super effective hits on 11 different types of pokemon. First I use Nidoqueen to use an attack that is super effective on a pokemon (if I can), and then I use Lucario's copycat so I can copy Nidoqueen's move so I can hit the foe pokemon with 2 supereffective moves!! so awesome =D!!!!! (Yes I try to keep Lucario slower than her).

BadIntent
24th December 2008, 5:49 AM
Well as they say, you can't rightly knock it till you've tried it... My bro runs surf/fly and it works alright. Have you tried it before? It's nothing to praise, but it's not utterly garbage if you're decent at prediction.

Addressing the weather team mentioned above (don't feel like quoting). Crobat is the #1 choice as a substitute for electrode for creating a sunny day for that team. It's almost as fast as Electrode and has Inner Focus.

As for your guide Rhys, eh. Is it really necessary? The thing about double battles is there's so many options, and the lack of a guide really makes people think and be creative. I mean, go ahead but I hate how Smogon's made people so narrow minded these days...

EDIT: oops I just ignored the above post. That works alright, but Lucario's speed is one of its best assets. Dropping it down under Nidoqueen's will definitely hinder it when 'Queen's not out. And watch for protect when you try to double team a pokemon. It'll waste you're whole turn and leave you open. Props for the creativity though. It surely won't be expected.

Rhys29
24th December 2008, 6:45 AM
Well as they say, you can't rightly knock it till you've tried it... My bro runs surf/fly and it works alright. Have you tried it before? It's nothing to praise, but it's not utterly garbage if you're decent at prediction.

Addressing the weather team mentioned above (don't feel like quoting). Crobat is the #1 choice as a substitute for electrode for creating a sunny day for that team. It's almost as fast as Electrode and has Inner Focus.

As for your guide Rhys, eh. Is it really necessary? The thing about double battles is there's so many options, and the lack of a guide really makes people think and be creative. I mean, go ahead but I hate how Smogon's made people so narrow minded these days...

EDIT: oops I just ignored the above post. That works alright, but Lucario's speed is one of its best assets. Dropping it down under Nidoqueen's will definitely hinder it when 'Queen's not out. And watch for protect when you try to double team a pokemon. It'll waste you're whole turn and leave you open. Props for the creativity though. It surely won't be expected.

I have tried it. I have gotten raped. Hard. It's not that this combo is creative, if anything it's not. You're just using a move that would normally hit your poke and using another one to dodge it. Not to mention both are HM's and it works on the nooby hax coms in the battle tower.

The thing is they're not going outside the box, you're thinking with common basic moves that seem to go good together. Plus with RD and Thunder being a popular, this combo gets wasted fast. Haven't you noticed pretty much the most common poke everyone mentions using fly is Staraptor? Seems pretty strange huh? As for the guides, I do believe that they aren't necessary however many people here would actually like to improve their DB game and these have helped. I don't turn to Smogon at all when it comes to DB's. I have yet to use a single moveset from them (conciously) and I have personaly looked at each poke when I am doing these. And I am doing these to get people to think outside the box, look at options for pokes that they normally wouldn't look at. Such as Xatu: did you ever think he would be such a monsterous supporter before I mentioned his moves? I know I seem harsh to some people but it's really for their own good if they want to take their game to the next level.

As for Crobat, yes, I know that he is common to start up to SD/RD. However, outside of that he has little contribution to the team. Seeing as he is weak to Ice (meaning haha dead to the intense Scarf Glaceon lead) and Rock, making him pretty open since he's frail as hell. The reason most use Electrode is because it can do 3 other things for it's team, while Crobat pretty much uses it's only turn it can do something doing it's only duty: weather effect. While after that it can only Hypnosis pokes since Taunt is almost useless on move 2. His limited elemental move pool is only going to hold him back farther. Now the reason to use him for SD teams now is that the plat tutor gives him Heat Wave. However, with his abyssmal Sp.A, you'd have to carry Nasty Plot, which would mean he would have to give up Hypnosis and Brave Bird, which are two of the main reasons to use him in the first place. Not only that but you'd have to use the first 2 moves to just set up for the attack in the first place while others just get a powerhouse shot on the first turn or the turn after. So outside of the fact that he can get a weather effect off very fast without necessarily being hindered by Fake Out (certain pokes may be able to OHKO him with it lol), he's not very effective on a weather team.

And that Copycat strat is actually good, however there are better forms. Get Lucario to use Magnet rise to avoid those EQ's and then send em right back. Or get the sun out, give him Specs, and go for a double Solar Beam/Heat Wave/Eruption sweep. You just have to watch out for one thing: EQ. If both your pokes are EQ weak, the strategy is going to fail unfortunately.

SteelMetagross
24th December 2008, 6:57 AM
I usualy use staraptor and garchomp garchomp uses earthquake and whatever that doesn't take out starapter's arial ace will

GarchompHata
24th December 2008, 7:03 AM
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Calm 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Def

~ Follow Me
~ Protect
~ Roost
~ Air Slash

paired with

Heracross @ Life Orb
Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Megahorn
~ Focus Punch

I think it's obvious how these two work. Focus Punch off of ~800 attack hurts like hell.

Rhys29
24th December 2008, 7:11 AM
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Calm 252 Hp / 252 SpD / 4 Def

~ Follow Me
~ Protect
~ Roost
~ Air Slash

paired with

Heracross @ Life Orb
Adamant 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance
~ Megahorn
~ Focus Punch

I think it's obvious how these two work. Focus Punch off of ~800 attack hurts like hell.

Classic set up. However, I would suggest you put your Spe into Sp.D so you can potentially survive some weak Heat Waves with perhaps enough health to use the Substitute. Just one thing to look at. Also help you against the Scarf Glaceon I mentioned.

BadIntent
24th December 2008, 7:51 AM
I have tried it. I have gotten raped. Hard. It's not that this combo is creative, if anything it's not. You're just using a move that would normally hit your poke and using another one to dodge it. Not to mention both are HM's and it works on the nooby hax coms in the battle tower.

The thing is they're not going outside the box, you're thinking with common basic moves that seem to go good together. Plus with RD and Thunder being a popular, this combo gets wasted fast. Haven't you noticed pretty much the most common poke everyone mentions using fly is Staraptor? Seems pretty strange huh? As for the guides, I do believe that they aren't necessary however many people here would actually like to improve their DB game and these have helped. I don't turn to Smogon at all when it comes to DB's. I have yet to use a single moveset from them (conciously) and I have personaly looked at each poke when I am doing these. And I am doing these to get people to think outside the box, look at options for pokes that they normally wouldn't look at. Such as Xatu: did you ever think he would be such a monsterous supporter before I mentioned his moves? I know I seem harsh to some people but it's really for their own good if they want to take their game to the next level.

As for Crobat, yes, I know that he is common to start up to SD/RD. However, outside of that he has little contribution to the team. Seeing as he is weak to Ice (meaning haha dead to the intense Scarf Glaceon lead) and Rock, making him pretty open since he's frail as hell. The reason most use Electrode is because it can do 3 other things for it's team, while Crobat pretty much uses it's only turn it can do something doing it's only duty: weather effect. While after that it can only Hypnosis pokes since Taunt is almost useless on move 2. His limited elemental move pool is only going to hold him back farther. Now the reason to use him for SD teams now is that the plat tutor gives him Heat Wave. However, with his abyssmal Sp.A, you'd have to carry Nasty Plot, which would mean he would have to give up Hypnosis and Brave Bird, which are two of the main reasons to use him in the first place. Not only that but you'd have to use the first 2 moves to just set up for the attack in the first place while others just get a powerhouse shot on the first turn or the turn after. So outside of the fact that he can get a weather effect off very fast without necessarily being hindered by Fake Out (certain pokes may be able to OHKO him with it lol), he's not very effective on a weather team.

And that Copycat strat is actually good, however there are better forms. Get Lucario to use Magnet rise to avoid those EQ's and then send em right back. Or get the sun out, give him Specs, and go for a double Solar Beam/Heat Wave/Eruption sweep. You just have to watch out for one thing: EQ. If both your pokes are EQ weak, the strategy is going to fail unfortunately.

I see where you're coming from. I mean I'm not saying a guide is evil or anything; I just think their all... bleh.

And yeah I have seen Xatu as a super-supporter. Come to think of it, I've seen just about everything in this thread in a real battle.

Anyways, on to the Togekiss/Heracross... Yes it is classic. Your strategy reminds me a lot about the pick and roll in basket ball. Your opponent will probably have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, but most likely won't be able to stop it off the bat. But since that type of opener is so common, you're likely to run into a psuedo-mirror of Togekiss and a sub puncher. And then you'll have to rely on a whole lot of prediction to counter your own strategy. Oh, and those scarfed Typhlosions will kill, as follow me can't stop it.

Rhys29
24th December 2008, 9:24 AM
I see where you're coming from. I mean I'm not saying a guide is evil or anything; I just think their all... bleh.

And yeah I have seen Xatu as a super-supporter. Come to think of it, I've seen just about everything in this thread in a real battle.

Anyways, on to the Togekiss/Heracross... Yes it is classic. Your strategy reminds me a lot about the pick and roll in basket ball. Your opponent will probably have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, but most likely won't be able to stop it off the bat. But since that type of opener is so common, you're likely to run into a psuedo-mirror of Togekiss and a sub puncher. And then you'll have to rely on a whole lot of prediction to counter your own strategy. Oh, and those scarfed Typhlosions will kill, as follow me can't stop it.
Those things kill both Hail and TR teams as well in one fell swoop as well.

BadIntent
24th December 2008, 9:40 AM
Si, an instance where Fake out is very useful, no?

Rhys29
24th December 2008, 9:51 AM
Si, an instance where Fake out is very useful, no?

indeed, I am well aware. The person planning a TR team has to take a risk with their lead, seeing as you can either have a Fake Out or a Follow Me lead.

Zero Nexus
24th December 2008, 10:08 AM
Well, in Diamond, my team has a single theme; Intimidate, all 6 of my Pokemon have it (Hitmontop, Salamence, Granbull (Soon to be replaced with Luxray), Gyarados, Tauros and Arcanine). Most of the team knows Earthquake, while Hitmontop knows Detect and Arcanine knows Protect, and Salamence and Gyarados are immune to it anyway due to being flying types. So ripping their opponent's attack stat to shreds with Intimidate and then letting rip with Earthquake and their other moves is my best strategy.

BadIntent
24th December 2008, 10:15 AM
Well, in Diamond, my team has a single theme; Intimidate, all 6 of my Pokemon have it (Hitmontop, Salamence, Granbull (Soon to be replaced with Luxray), Gyarados, Tauros and Arcanine). Most of the team knows Earthquake, while Hitmontop knows Detect and Arcanine knows Protect, and Salamence and Gyarados are immune to it anyway due to being flying types. So ripping their opponent's attack stat to shreds with Intimidate and then letting rip with Earthquake and their other moves is my best strategy.

Ugh I hate when people do that crap! Naw, jk. It works and there's not a whole lot your opponent can do about it besides hyper cutter/clear body. Even if you're fighting a primarily special attacking team, it's not like you had to put in any effort for intimidate to come into effect.

Of course on its own intimidate and EQ isn't really a deep strategy...

Rhys29
24th December 2008, 10:36 AM

True, not very deep. Does pretty much shut down TR teams lol. Now if you could team the Intimidaters with Sp.A tanks who have good Sp.D (Slowking, Zapdos) and then you can tank like a mad man. This will literally eat teams if you combo this. And your team is Hail weak and the Glaceon I keep mentioning will eat you. I used to not see it as a threat. Dear lord was I wrong. If you throw pokes such as Empoleon with Vaporeon you can own hardcore.

Torosiken
24th December 2008, 3:57 PM
Rain dance + Thunder = KA-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!

Blue Raja
24th December 2008, 8:19 PM
TEN GOOD DOUBLE BATTLE ABILITIES

ARENA TRAP-combined with a move like perish song, lets you stall your opponent to death.
Absol and Dugtrio

CHLOROPHYLL / SWIFTSWIM-doubles speed when in effect-can give you an opportunity to sweep.
Kingdra and Ludicolo or Tangrowth and Ludicolo

LIGHTNINGROD / STORMDRAIN- can protect an otherwise very fragile partner.
Rhyperior and Gyarados or Lumineon and Rhyperior

VOLT ABSORB / WATER ABSORB / DRYSKIN
Jolteon and Pikachu and Vaproeon and Suicune

DAMP-stops your opponent from using explosion or self destruct.

INTIMIDATE-effects both of your opponents pokes. You get a free reduction just for coming into battle.

MINUS & PLUS / FLOWER GIFT-very specifically created just for double battles!!

OWN TEMPO-combine with teeter dance to confuse both of your opponents pokes at once.

RAIN DISH / ICE BODY-use your weather effects to stall out your opponent.

SNOW CLOAK / SAND VEIL-chain chomp works in doubles too!

blasian amtrax
25th December 2008, 3:16 AM
how about:
smeargle
timid - 252 speed
dark void

rampardos/heracross
naughty/adamant - 252 atk
focus punch

or:
E-vire
motor drive
eq
tpunch
brickbreak

rotom
levitate
discharge
charge
night slash

Rhys29
25th December 2008, 6:42 AM
how about:
smeargle
timid - 252 speed
dark void

rampardos/heracross
naughty/adamant - 252 atk
focus punch

or:
E-vire
motor drive
eq
tpunch
brickbreak

rotom
levitate
discharge
charge
night slash

This is primarily why Dark Void is banned, it's too good for DB's and Darkrai is the only poke that can straight up learn it, making this set 1. almost impossible to get and 2. so exclusive, one person having it could take almost every other team. Also sleep clause says hi.

Torosiken
25th December 2008, 1:48 PM
other =
Fly then Surf/Discharge/Muddy water = WOO-HOO!!^^

Tomato-kun
25th December 2008, 7:03 PM
Go right in,and battle.

I often attack the tougher one with both of my Pokemon,then finish off the other after that one has fainted.

XD I like using Fly,and using quick Pokemon.
I hate long battles.

Rhys29
27th December 2008, 12:34 PM
Want a cheap combo? On an RD team use Dewgong with a partner with Block, Spider Web, Mean Look, or Magnet Pull so they can trap a foe. Dewgong should have: Icy Wind//Encore//Disable//Rest. Have the foe trapped and Dewy nab em with Encore. Next turn throw up Rain and slap Disable on the Encored poke. Now Rest continually and watch the enemy helplessly Struggle itself to death. You have no idea how much fun this is to do to your friends.

Arande
30th December 2008, 5:33 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I finally had a chance to try that imprison smeargle I mentioned... Works wonders to kill TR :D and yes, having imprison active, then transforming, completely blocks out your opponents poke you transformed into.

Also was helpful cause then I knew his Bronzong had explosion, so I easily predicted when he prot/exploded (double teamed it w floatzel using waterfall @ life orb in rain, then ludicolo w hydro pump in rain)

I need to try it some more :D fun seeing "<foe> can't use the imprisoned <move>" twice, then watching em switch.

Course I'm weird and like trying fun yet rather risky tricks :)

Rhys29
31st December 2008, 9:29 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I finally had a chance to try that imprison smeargle I mentioned... Works wonders to kill TR :D and yes, having imprison active, then transforming, completely blocks out your opponents poke you transformed into.

Also was helpful cause then I knew his Bronzong had explosion, so I easily predicted when he prot/exploded (double teamed it w floatzel using waterfall @ life orb in rain, then ludicolo w hydro pump in rain)

I need to try it some more :D fun seeing "<foe> can't use the imprisoned <move>" twice, then watching em switch.

Course I'm weird and like trying fun yet rather risky tricks :)

TOO situational at best. He needs a focus sash and all the luck in the world to pull it off.

bookist
31st December 2008, 9:38 PM
Trick room+relicanth+head smash. It hurts a lot.

Rhys29
31st December 2008, 11:02 PM
Trick room+relicanth+head smash. It hurts a lot.

Common sweep combo. Yes, it works. However Relicanth is EQ and Discharge weak.

Arande
1st January 2009, 8:45 PM
TOO situational at best. He needs a focus sash and all the luck in the world to pull it off.

Actually to be honest. I only use him when I'm on PBR, so I can tell if they are using a TR team or not. (yeah, PBR sucks, but for some reason, I do prefer being able to do 10 or so battles in the time it'd take to look for a battle, then mess with FC stuff for here. Not to mention the wifi chat here has kinda bored me with seeing nothing but standard OU's, but that's a personal rant of mine)

cocoa_adele
2nd January 2009, 12:29 AM
i poison my foe and use giga drain and mega drain to restore health
love you roserade! ;407;

Rhys29
2nd January 2009, 12:04 PM
Actually to be honest. I only use him when I'm on PBR, so I can tell if they are using a TR team or not. (yeah, PBR sucks, but for some reason, I do prefer being able to do 10 or so battles in the time it'd take to look for a battle, then mess with FC stuff for here. Not to mention the wifi chat here has kinda bored me with seeing nothing but standard OU's, but that's a personal rant of mine)
I am not exactly a fan of standard either, however I do not doubt the fact that they work. I mean, a Quagsire can take nullify 3/4 moves from the the #1 in Uber Kyogre standards. It's just kinda funny. But I suppose running it on PBR would help quite a bit.

i poison my foe and use giga drain and mega drain to restore health
love you roserade! ;407;
Meh, at least it's a little original. Ludicolo and other Sub/Seeders would make this combo annoying. If you can use Tangrowth to Block and Sleep Powder while Ludicolo Subs and then Leech Seeds the target you have one helpless mofo. I think you can even get two Seeds on one poke, which I find hilarious.

Blue Raja
4th January 2009, 3:46 PM
The most infuriating Kyogre counter is Shedinja! (Fun, Fun, Fun)
The surest is Latios with Grass Knot.

Every 'ogre carries WS / T / IB / Surf-
Lets Sheddy SD and then shadow sneak.

If your PBR team has 'ogre trouble throw a ninja or grass knot Lati on the team.

Jimb113
4th January 2009, 10:44 PM
Mine would be gardevoir with hypnosis and dream eater and the same for gallade

or gengar and earthquake

Firehawk10590
5th January 2009, 3:00 AM
Sending in Ninjask and Vaporeon at the same time. Surf and Protect/Substitute is annoying.

Babey_blue
11th January 2009, 8:31 AM
rhyperior and altaria

rhyperior uses earthquake (altaria unaffected) then altaria finishes off.

petstock
11th January 2009, 1:20 PM
very simmaller to what is too me above...i use torterra's earthquake when with my gyrados to prevent hurting myself while also hurting the foe...I would also if given the chance use a eruption or lava plunge with flame body or surf and water absorb combo is i had the right sort of pokemon...

okyokyohmy
11th January 2009, 5:52 PM
got to battle 214 with

bronzong(brave)
levitate
200attack 155 defence 155 spdefence
lum berry
protect
gyroball
trickroom
hypnosis

Golem(brave)
sturdy
252 attack 120defence 120 spdefence 18hp
power lens
protect
gyroball
hammerarm
explosion

claydol(brave)
levitate
200attack 155defence 155 spdefence
power belt
trickroom
toxic
explosion
protect

metagross(brave)
clear body
power bracer
252 attack 120 defence 138 spdefence
explosion
gyroball
hammerarm
protect

well i've been at it for a long time and this is what it came down to, the lickiiky with stab is stronger with just doesn't work with azelf, lucario and inferape covering the ghost and tanks. no tanking just doesn't work so this is it.
brongzong with lum berry trickrooms for position and all my guys go first. while golem with 5 weaknesses protects. then gyroball kills everything, hammerarm the tankers(earthquake don't work too well on my own guys and levitaters), explode on the water, electric or fire or damage dealers... first turn when i trick room either they dig or fly or dive then i switch to claydol or metagross or second turn ko them before they move... i finally met my match at the end with that same dusknoir that's just invincible he has nothing but sheer life to go on T_T please some suggestions apreciated..........and i do not lie about my numbers this is after failing with many defence and explosion teams did i come to this team.

my friends explosion gets rid of all your worries in half a day i can i get to battle 70 in the doubles because of explosion on everything and hammerarm the tankers again the only loophole is the dusknoir or the critical hit iceshards i can cover everything else golem can't get KO from scopelens gliscor and brongzong 's lum berry makes sure i can trickroom, the toxic claydol kills dusknoir but sigh sometimes all the troubles comes in one team a iceshard abomasnow that can grassnknot my golem a dusknoir that doubleteams on the first turn with a inferape powerhouser and a focus sash endeaver dunsparce sigh i beat them twice and lost on them a few more times there's just no fool proof to it

fire fan 888
12th January 2009, 11:23 PM
toxicroak and a pokemon with surf is good. healing toxicroak and hitting ur enemy's pokemon

Saberu
20th January 2009, 4:46 PM
Shaymin @ wide lens
Modest nature
252 sp.a, 252 spe
Seed flare
Air slash
Grass knot
Earth power

Basically the Smogon choice specs shaymin without the choice specs. Yay for Platinum tutor/sky forme moves. ^^;

Swampert @ rindo berry
Relaxed nature
I forgot his EVs... :redface:
Seismic toss (he's from Hoenn)
Earthquake
Surf
Ice beam

I pair shaymin with swampert because she resists surf and earthquake. I bet this would own in the battle tower if I didn't have to hack to try it.

I have to be careful, though. Once, my shaymin lost to a dunsparce. >.<

groundonman
20th January 2009, 5:49 PM
well my best stratigy is
double types must be used
use pokemon that dont affect each other

okyokyohmy
21st January 2009, 3:46 AM
the thing is to think about a way to cover all the types you can super effectively hit or a way to defeat all types and situations without getting owned...over lapping abilities and moves just to get extra hits is bad because you are limited to those moves and pokemon. vaporeon and lapras with surf. lanturn and jolteon with discharge marowak with earthquake and rotom with discharge... well i try to ignore all that and just use explosion that kills everything hammerarm tankers, forseight them explode on ghosts and hypnosis on everything else... never fails , well most of the time.

and, yeah... that shaymin is illegal in the tower

firestar319
22nd January 2009, 6:26 AM
Slowking and shuckle

Slowking uses Trick Room while Shuckle sets up with Power Trick on the 1st turn. Then, let the sweeping begin.

okyokyohmy
22nd January 2009, 3:48 PM
go to the tower talk forums and check out my team that got to battle 217 at the tower doubles and still on going...
i can forseight the shuckle if it DT i can aeryal ace it, and toxic don;t work on steel types like my brong zong and metagross... my starter up trickroomer is dusknoir he trickrooms and golem protects golem has 6 weaknesses so it most of the time blocks the attack... golem earthquakes and i swtich to brongzong who levitates or just explode if there's no tankers or dampers. i'd say slowking and slowbro is not decent with stats but decent with types... and shuckle come on you can do better than that, what else can shuckle do other than get owned, so what if power trick gives you 302 attack shuckle has like 100 health and 50 attack it'll get owned by any move of any type wasting a turn on power trick (like they do in the tower you just copied them) is a waste of a good turn i'd rather have you use marowak whom is also really slow and he has 290 attack with boneclub at level 50 without having to use power trick... and he can take at least one super effective hit if you ev train sp def or hp

Supernova
22nd January 2009, 3:53 PM
I'm not really one for double battle strategy, and because of that I probably have one of the most boring, common strategies ever...
Bastiodon - Salamence
Salamence use Earthquake. Bastiodon use protect. Oh snap.

Lucario_Dragon
24th January 2009, 12:57 PM
If i had an Electrivire i would have him + lanturn, both with dishcarge.

killer74
24th January 2009, 2:49 PM
Sunny day with a fire type then solar beam with another pokemon or
Rain Dance and thunder.

plopagon123
24th January 2009, 2:55 PM
I've been working on this double-battle team for quite a while now. However, I haven't gotten that far in the battle tower with it, because I haven't had the time to play Pokemon Diamond/Pearl recently. Whenever I get the time, I'll try to use it again.

---The first two---
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed.
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Rock Slide

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
252 HP, 252 Defense, 6 Speed
-Roost
-Spikes
-Steel Wing
-Toxic

---The ones in the bench---
Charizard @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
15 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 243 Speed
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
-Earthquake
-Dragon Rush
-Crunch
-Swords Dance

If you think that the first two Pokemon in the opponent's chosen four can take out Aerodactyl or Skarmory in a hit or two, then you can use Aerodactyl's speed to use Earthquake or Rock Slide or Crunch, depending on the opponent present. Skarmory (surely he can take more hits) can set up spikes, while Aerodactyl messes up the opponents. Aerodactyl's role is to basically damage the few lead Pokemon and buy some time so that Skarmory can set up 3 layers of spikes.

However, if you think that the opponent's Pokemon can't take out Aerodactyl or Skarmory in a hit or two, then you are welcome to use Stealth Rock with it, then have Aerodactyl mess the opponents up with its moves. The other two Pokemon are merely the Physical and Special Sweepers of the battle. Choice Specs Charizard does pretty well, in my opinion. But you'll be using Dragon Pulse a lot though. ^^'

PiplupMan
25th January 2009, 10:40 AM
Politoad then get Empoleon and use surf!

Fire Hero
25th January 2009, 10:56 AM
Roserade using Sunny Day, then Choice-Specs Typhlosion uses Eruption. Cherrim using Helping Hand on sunlight to raise Eruption's power to unstoppable levels and so on :P

Also, using Clefable's Follow Me together with Moonlight and Cosmic Power to avoid damage in the partner, which is usually less defensive.

timmytheteddy
4th May 2009, 9:28 PM
mine is first two are shuckle and xatu shuckle uses anything xatu uses guard swap then switcth out shuckle with slaking(adament nature) (to get defence bak) with xatu use guard swap to slaking swith xatu with shuckle and gastro acid on slaking and u got your self an ivinble kick a** slaking next three relicanth gallade metgross all with pych up the bad part bout this team no speed

timmytheteddy
4th May 2009, 9:31 PM
mine is first two are shuckle and xatu shuckle uses anything xatu uses guard swap then switcth out shuckle with slaking(adament nature) (to get defence bak) with xatu use guard swap to slaking swith xatu with shuckle and gastro acid on slaking and u got your self an ivinble kick a** slaking next three relicanth gallade metgross all with pych up the bad part bout this team no speed

:surfpika::surfpika::surfpika::surfpika:

Witchan
4th May 2009, 9:32 PM
My best double strategy was putting any ghost-type and carrying another non-ghost type pokemon with Explosion (Metagross, Steelix, Heatran, etc.). My friend did it once, but he thinks that my strategy is worth considering of cheating. :)

Lucario_Dragon
6th May 2009, 6:39 PM
Follow me on clefable and focus punch lucario.
Also double discharge with lanturn and electivire.

Ritchie
6th May 2009, 6:54 PM
I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure if it works. Shuckle with Gastro Acid and Slaking.

Volteon
6th May 2009, 6:56 PM
Say no for bumping old topics.

This is closed.