Do you like Heavy Metal?
Then join the Heavy Metal Club today.

Rules
SPPf rules.
No insulting the club and it's members.
No double posts.
No one-liners.
Have fun.

If you don't follow the rules Ozzy will take your soul (and you'll be reported).

When you join you can choose a sub/ fusion genre of metal. If it hasn't been taken you will represent that genre. You can also choose a band to represent you. (you can't be black sabbath it's the clubs mascot).

Members:
Owner - )WisP( - Thrash Metal- SlipKnoT, Slayer, Bring Me The Horizon.
Co-owner - pink skitty - Melodic Death Metal - Lordi, (Children of Bodom?).
Co-owner - Tim the Turtle - Power Metal - Manowar, Opeth, Iron Maiden.
Saphiredragon929 - Grunge - Alice in Chains, Metallica, Nirvana.
Dimbat - Folk Metal -Wintersun, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani.

Infractions:
None

Banned:
None

There is space for no more co-owners(co-owners can hand out infractions and accept new members). So enjoy. To join your post must start with the word 'metal' (in red).

First topic:
What is your favourite metal band?
Mines SlipKnoT, they cover quite a large range of music tastes (from Stone Sour-y music to rap metal).

UPDATE: You can now represent up to 3 bands.

rekreatur
28th December 2008, 12:17 PM
Metal

Yay, the club finally got accepted. c: *throws confetti*
And the owner is crazy enough to make me a co-owner. xD Go hide somewhere people.

*cough* I think I'll just go answer the first topic. :3

Well that'd have to be Lordi, they're a metal band full of monsters, what more can you ask for? Not to mention, the drummer looks cute. Just gotta love that disformed monster thing. He shares his birthday with me too. <3 Yes, I'm insane. <:

Tim the turtle
28th December 2008, 4:51 PM
Metal

Well, I'll give this club a try.

Opeth. Majestic, crushing riffs trading off with beautiful melodic interludes, one of the deepest and most sinister death growls I have ever heard mingling perfeclty with souless soft vocals. Plus, the best live show I've ever seen... yeah, Opeth are stunning in every way.

But then I'm forgetting Cynic, Manowar, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Novembers Doom, Orphaned Land, HammerFall, Jesu, Battle of Mice, Isis, Neurosis, Serenity, Nevermore, Kreator, Katatonia, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Into Eternity, Wolves In The Throne Room, Iced Earth, Burst, Dream Theater, Arch Enemy, Alcest, Alestorm, Turisas, Korpiklaani, Nightwish, Motorhead, 3 Inches of Blood, Protest The Hero and all the other metal bands that I listen to that I haven't mentioned.

)WisP(
28th December 2008, 7:58 PM
Welcome Tim the Turtle, would you like to be co-owner? I also need to know what genre of metal and what band you would like to represent. I haven't heard of most of your list so I'll give it a try sometime. I need to know the stuff above before I can fully accept you sorry.

Tim the turtle
29th December 2008, 1:23 AM
Co-owner? Heh, sure, why not?

As for representing a sub-genre. It would have to be power metal, I certianly know more about that than any other sub-genre, even if it's no longer my favourite. Even though Opeth are my favourite, I guess if I were to represent a band it would have to be Manowar, just because...

Sapphiredragon929
29th December 2008, 4:34 AM
Can I join...I like the more classic 70s' early metal- 90's grunge.

Favorite: Alice In Chains...however I'm not excited over the new singer. Which brings me to Metallica, there pretty good.

)WisP(
29th December 2008, 1:53 PM
Saphiredragon929 I'll need to know what sub-genre and bands you'd like to represent.
Tim the Turtle welcome aboard. (Arghh breaking my own rules...)

Sapphiredragon929
29th December 2008, 7:55 PM
I'll repreasent grunge and my bands will be Alice in Chains, Metallica (My mom met the drummer....*jeaousy*), and Nirvana.

Tim the turtle
29th December 2008, 11:14 PM
Metallica (My mom met the drummer....*jeaousy*) Your mum met Lars Ulrich? The biggest **** in metal? Please tell me she hit him, like, really hard, in the crotch.

Dimbat
30th December 2008, 3:30 AM
Yo, I'll join.

My favourite subgenre .. I guess it would be Folk Metal, or Power Metal. My favourite bands are Wintersun, Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Demons & Wizards, Elvenking, Manegarm and all that.

rekreatur
30th December 2008, 12:32 PM
Dimbat, what band and subgenre would you like to represent?
Oh and you said you like Folk Metal.. Might I suggest Finntroll? They sing in Swedish, but they're still good. <:

)WisP(
31st December 2008, 11:25 AM
Updated list. And BTW you can now represent up to 3 bands you like (so long as they haven't been taken already.

New topic:
Which band do you think has been the most influential (sp?) in Metal?
The big 4 thrash metal bands, just as metal was about to go glam and disco they saved it. =)

Tim the turtle
31st December 2008, 3:48 PM
And BTW you can now represent up to 3 bands you like (so long as they haven't been taken already. In that case could you add Opeth and Iron Maiden to my list, if you don't mind.

Which band do you think has been the most influential (sp?) in Metal? The big three, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Personally I'd argue that out of them, Sabbath are the only real metal band (though Zeppelin are my favourite) but those three bands had such a massive impact on music in general and especially heavy metal that have to give them some credit. Otherwise... Iron Maiden. Maiden have never sold out, never given up, they are legends amongst men and have been one of, if not, the biggest influence on pretty much every metal musician for over 30 years now. UP THE IRONS!!! \m/ (>.<) \m/

Dimbat
31st December 2008, 6:18 PM
Dimbat, what band and subgenre would you like to represent?
Oh and you said you like Folk Metal.. Might I suggest Finntroll? They sing in Swedish, but they're still good. <:

Erm, I'll rep Folk Metal, and the bands Wintersun, Ensiferum and Korpiklaani.

Finntroll are pretty awesome, seen 'em live too.. But I just prefer other folk metal bands ^^.

rekreatur
31st December 2008, 6:35 PM
We can represent 3 bands? I'd like to have Lordi, OOMPH! and Children of Bodom then. :]

Finntroll are pretty awesome, seen 'em live too.. But I just prefer other folk metal bands ^^.
You've seen Finntroll live? I envy you. The only band I've seen live is Lordi. x|

)WisP(
31st December 2008, 8:05 PM
New topic:
What bands have you seen live?
Bring Me The Horizon, SlipKnoT, Iron Maiden, Metallica (all in my dreams...).
I've never seen a band live =(

Dimbat
31st December 2008, 8:23 PM
Bands I've seen live? Hmm, too many to list them all so I'll just list a selection..

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Children of Bodom, In Flames, Motorhead, Kiuas, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Eluveitie, Iced Earth, Helloween, Dream Evil, Opeth, Tyr, Demon Burger, Moonsorrow, At The Gates, Alestorm, Nightwish, Megadeth, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ensiferum, Turisas...

Though I've got my ticket to see Wintersun, Candlemass, Amon Amarth and more.. ^^

Tim the turtle
1st January 2009, 5:14 AM
What bands have you seen live?
Iron Maiden (Absolutely ****ing awesome)
Avenged Sevenfold (Supported Maiden, were crap)
Within Temptation (Supported Maiden, were awesome)
Nightwish (Pretty damn great, even if it was with Annette, their new singer)
Pain (Supported Nightwish, meh)
Deep Purple (As I said before, not strictly metal, but influential enough to warrant a mention, they rocked)
Manowar (I went all the way from England to Germany to see these guys. They headlined Magic Circle Festival 08 for two nights and were so incredible it hurts, I still dream about that concert)
Stormwarrior (Played at Magic Circle 08, were pretty boring)
W.A.S.P (Played at Magic Circle 08, were amazing)
Gotthard (Played at Magic Circle 08, were amazing)
Alice Cooper (Saw him at Magic Circle 08 and once in Brighton. Was stunning on both occasions)
Opeth (Perfect. There is no other word to describe the performance. Utterly perfect)
Cynic (Supported Opeth. Almost perfect. The only band that could support Opeth and not be totally outclassed)

Who I plan to see this year:
Manowar again at Magic Circle 09
HammerFall in march
Opeth again, whenever I get the opportunity
Katatonia if they tour England

)WisP(
1st January 2009, 11:03 AM
I'm the only person who hasn't seen any bands live =(. Oh and Tim the Turtle, Avenged Sevenfold new stuff is crap compared to their old stuff. If you're going to listen to Avenged Sevenfold, their 3 oldest albums are the best by far.

Sapphiredragon929
2nd January 2009, 7:15 AM
I haven't seen any live bands...except U2 but they wouuuld never be metal.

Oh and Tim the Turtle...my mom would get fired if she hit Lars in the crotch...but that would've been funny. She also met the lead singer for Rancid...a band she never heard of until she aked him, "Why on earth do you have skunk tatooed on your forehead"

It is so hard to type in the dark....

Kif_Yan
21st January 2009, 2:03 AM
Oh cool, a metal club! :D

Well, being Swedish, I just have it in my blood to like metal. I'm not a very fanatic know-it-all though, so I probaby listen to a lot of "mainstream metal", but at least I don't listen to hiphop and rap.

Soo... yeah, my favorite metal bands are probably In Flames, Dream Theater, Soilwork and System of a Down and anything close to them.

Another genre I really like, which is not really classified as metal it seems, is metalcore, where my favorite bands are Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold (I heard they are metalcore, but I think some if their stuff is harder than that) and Bullet For My Valentine (really hard metalcore?).

And, besides metal I listen to Christian Rock, Gothic Rock (I also listen to Gothic Metal), and, of course, Hard Rock.

If I had to choose a favorite genre it's Melodic Death Metal, but since that one is already being represented, I'll choose Progressive Metal with Dream Theater as the band. :D

Leafsong
21st January 2009, 6:07 PM
I'll bite.

My favourite band right now is Disturbed, no matter what core metal fans say about the band. I'll listen to most songs by Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne, and I've heard a bit of Dream Theater. Really liked it.

I like to listen to some punk now and then too, my favourite being Rise Against. I don't know how they're regarded by other people, but I like their sound.

If asked to represent a genre I'd like to represent Death Metal/"Regular" Metal, with Disturbed for a band. I don't really know which genre they are. I don't really care about genre, I care about how it sounds.

Kif_Yan
22nd January 2009, 1:05 PM
Disturbed is more Nu-Metal, I think, but Nu-Metal is a very badly defined genre. Some think it's just a genre where everything that doesn't fit in anywhere else go, others think that it's kind of like metal with rap and hiphop elements.

Whatever, Disturbed rocks too! :D I was on their concert last year in Stockholm, they were really good. Shinedown was there too! :D

Leafsong
22nd January 2009, 4:56 PM
Well, there's only one track that has some remote aspects of rap, and that's Stupify. Even then, it's more in the rhythm than in the lyrics.

And Paranoid by Black Sabbath has been in my head for the whole damned day!
It's a great song, but after a while it gets annoying to catch yourself doing stuff to the rhythm of the bass-line.