PDA

View Full Version : Computer Programmer's Club

Pokemon_Veteran
17th February 2009, 5:01 AM
Welcome to the Computer Programmer's Club

This club is a club where computer programmers can talk about and ask for help on practically any programming or scripting language such as; Java, C/C++, Python, and many more.

Who can join?
Programmers-->Programmers who have knowledge in 1 or more languages
Learners-->Anyone who seriously wants to learn a programming language

General Rules
1. Keep the subject related to computer programming
2. Obey the Main Forums Rules

Rules Specifically for Programmers
1. Do not disrespect Learners
2. Give help to the best of your extent to a Learner
3. Do not post malicious code*

Rules Specifically for Learners
1. You have 60 days to show you have learned something**
2. You must choose a language to learn that another member knows
3. Do not ask for help in making malicious code*

Status Levels
Lead Programmer
Respected Programmer
Basic Programmer
Learner

To Join as a Programmer
Provide a Lead Programmer sample code by a Private Message and wait for approval

To Join as a Learner
Post a reply saying you want to join and which language you want to learn.

Code Sharing Site
The code sharing site, http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx is a site strictly for posting and viewing code. Anyone can view the code, but only members I register can upload code.
To register, you must be a member of this club
- - programmers can register right after being approved for this club
- - learners must be active for about a week or so

To register, send a pm to Pokemon_Veteran with the following format

Title: SPPf Programmers Site Registration

Username: <username>
Password: <password>
Email: <optional@optional.optional>

Please be sure the password IS NOT ONE YOU USE FOR ANOTHER ACCOUNT ONLINE OR ANYWHERE

Club Projects
Pokemon TCG Simulator

Lead Programmers
Pokemon_Veteran
Salavoir55

Respected Programmers
solovino
ToonLinkBrawler
Fire_Master_271

Basic Programmers
Dr. Ste
Jackintosh

Learners
zapper22001
Professor Ararararagi

*Asking for or posting malicous code will result in your Computer Programmer's Club membership being revoked.

**You must give proof that you learned something to retain your membership. If you later learn something after losing your membership as a Learner, you can rejoin with the Basic Programmer status level.

Salavoir55
19th March 2009, 2:56 AM
Alright, well I guess I'm a member already, but I'll do it formally.

I'd like to join. I'm learning Visual Basic right now, and you implied something about making that available. However, that is not an option in the list right now, so I'd like to learn C++, which is a language I had planned on learning after VB.

Oh, one other thing. Sweet May allowed me to bump this. She said that we must keep it alive this time, or it will be locked.

Pokemon_Veteran
19th March 2009, 7:13 PM
C++ is a good choice. Many popular video games are actually programmed with that language. I am currently working on a software library, which I think you might find useful for programming GUI's and maybe simple games.
Also, if you know enough of Visual Basic to help someone else learn it, I can add it to the list. Well, you should look at this link MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx) which has plenty of resources.

Caaz
20th March 2009, 12:30 AM
hmm...I'd like to join, I've made some games, using C but I'd like to learn more of it...and i really should be more active so i'll join a club. :D

Pokemon_Veteran
20th March 2009, 10:44 PM
That's good, C is very similar to C++. But C++ is more powerful since it utilizes OOP(Object-Oriented Programming). Well, if you made a few games in C, I suppose I can start you out at the Basic Programmer Status level since the Learner Status level is pretty much for those who have interest, but know nothing about programming.

Well, welcome to the club.

Treemander
20th March 2009, 11:18 PM
I wanna be a learner for C++ i have little experience with scripting for games with notepad+ but thats it... and im taking college courses in my junior year for that.

Pokemon_Veteran
21st March 2009, 1:57 AM
Okay, I'll put you at the Learner Status Level. You should take note that Learners' have to prove they learned something in about 60 days. To move up to Basic Programmer Status, you must provide me with sample source code you have written showing you understand the language.

Also, everyone may want take a look at theNetbeans IDE (http://www.netbeans.org/). You should also download MinGW and MSys if you are running Microsoft Windows to compile your C/C++ programs to .exe's. If you have extra space on your hard drive and plenty of memory, you may want to try the Netbeans IDE.

Caaz
21st March 2009, 2:42 AM
...Wow that, meaning NetBeans, is totally free? hmm, i've been using a program called Game-Editor, it's made for games, but you could make a program, net beans can make programs and all those other types? hmm I will download it... Where can i find MinGW and MSys?
C++ can make 3D Programs, is that right?

Slick
21st March 2009, 3:22 AM
I would like to join as a learner. I've started learning C code in the past few days. Just the simple "Hello World!" however.

Pokemon_Veteran
22nd March 2009, 3:45 AM
MinGW and MSys can be found at www.mingw.org (http://www.mingw.org/).
Well, I think that sums up all the software I use for programming. Also, the software library I am working on is going along nicely, which I think you may like when I get a workable portion of it done.

in C++, the Hello World program is something like this
========================================

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char**argv)
{
cout<<"Hello World!"
return 1;
}

========================================

Of course, there are many ways to write a Hello World Program, this is just one of the simplest.

Salavoir55
22nd March 2009, 3:54 AM
Also, if you know enough of Visual Basic to help someone else learn it, I can add it to the list. Well, you should look at this link MSDN which has plenty of resources.
I don't know enough to teach it yet unfortunately. I have looked at the link and started working through the C++ beginners guide. That site has a lot of stuff.

Also, everyone may want take a look at theNetbeans IDE. You should also download MinGW and MSys if you are running Microsoft Windows to compile your C/C++ programs to .exe's. If you have extra space on your hard drive and plenty of memory, you may want to try the Netbeans IDE.
I'll take a look at it when I get the chance; I've been really busy this weekend. I look forward to the completion of your software library. It sounds cool.

Caaz
23rd March 2009, 3:50 AM
Okay got the tools, now i just have to relearn some things :P i forgot alot over the years...
I'm going to try to make a simple program...
I think i'll post this site i found for some new...
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
It's cool, there are some quizzes you can take too.
Edit: somethings come up, i cant do stuff, i think i have a virus...

Salavoir55
30th March 2009, 12:17 AM
^What kind of virus: computer or biological? If it is the first, I don't know if I want to click that link...

So, just to keep this club alive, what exactly is Python code? In other words, what is its specialty/purpose?

Pokemon_Veteran
1st April 2009, 7:01 AM
Python is an open source scripting language. Python is used in some webpages, and it can be integrated into another programming language project. This is the first one I learned. I later picked up C/C++ because Python is restricted to running on machines with it installed. The Linux operating systems usually have it installed, but not everyone uses Linux.

Salavoir55
12th April 2009, 10:00 PM
Ah, I see.

And your website is certainly interesting, especially seeing how you made your own computer its server. That stat calculator could be quite useful for something that I was working on too. I don't know for sure yet, because I haven't worked out the details.

Anyways, I'm going to be gone for a while (may not be back until like May at best or June at worst), so hopefully everyone here will be able to keep this club alive. I'll still work on learning computer languages while I'm gone though of course.

Pokemon_Veteran
13th April 2009, 5:08 PM
Setting my computer up as a web server was no easy task. The procedure to do so wasn't difficult, it was the research, I had to use information from many sites to come up with the correct procedure. Not one site had all the information in one place so I had research for days with many irritating irrevelant sites.
Well, onto computer programming terms, I will put source code I write up for download on my site, like the Pokemon Stat Calculator.

I will be making an update to the rules to help keep this club alive, so read the first post for the change.

Salavoir55
2nd May 2009, 8:55 PM
Well, I am back to bump this club from annihilationdom. I'm almost back semi-permanently too (as strange as that phrase sounds), so I'll try to keep the two week rule.

Anyways, I'm having a little trouble compiling programs from C++. I wanted to try and do it without using an integrated development environment like Netbeans, and it isn't working so far. However, I haven't looked at the problem to my satisfaction yet, and I'm still getting used to the Visual Studios interface, so I can't really give you any details. I'll look at it again when I get some time, and if I can't figure it out, I'll post my problem here.

By the way, what happened to your website?

Pokemon_Veteran
3rd May 2009, 3:29 AM
Oh, the website, I plan to bring back up later, sense it needs more work, so it is currently down right now. I let you know when I get it back up.

Since you, Salavoir55, are regular poster, I'll up your rank by one level. As for the others who have not posted for one month, will need to reapply to this club for membership again. I just need this club to stay alive. If you cannot make the minimum one post every two weeks, let me know in advance.

Also, computer game programming is part of programming, so if you'd like to talk about a computer game you are making or have ideas for one, that is all welcome here.

I be providing a link to a sample Makefile I made. Salavoir55, you may want to check this out, since you can compile C/C++ code without an IDE using the MSys's command line.

makefile template (http://pokemon-veteran.ath.cx/downloads/makefile_template.zip)

Salavoir55
15th May 2009, 11:16 PM
Ah, thanks! And I finally managed to compile and run a simple program. Unfortunately, it is only in a Windows 32 format, but that's the template I chose (heard it was good for beginners of C++) so what else could I expect =p?

As for a computer game, well, I'm not anywhere near ready to do that yet. However, I do have one idea. Do you remember the old "Gorilla" game? The one where two Gorillas stood on two different buildings and threw explosive bananas at each other? Taking wind speed and direction into account, you would type in an angle and velocity at which to throw it then let it fly.

Well, I was wondering what a 3d version of that would look like. I wanted to try and use 3d vectors in it instead of 2d. However, I haven't gotten much farther than that initial idea though because I can't think of a way to take 3d vectors into account in a way that the 2d vectors couldn't do it.

Edit: Just thought of this: 3d Nibbles anyone? =D

Pokemon_Veteran
21st May 2009, 6:23 AM
I have been working on setting up a file hosting service which utilizes PHP to do so. I am currently working on security since I don't want crazy people putting crazy stuff on my site. PHP is surprisingly much like Javascript, but more powerful.
www.w3schools.com/ (http://www.w3schools.com/) is a great site for references on multiple scripting languages.

Salavoir55
29th May 2009, 1:10 AM
Wow. That's an awesome website. I too struck a golden website recently. Two days ago, I was browsing the physicsforums when I happened across a thread which linked to this site (a php site because of the .php?):

http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/programming.php

I don't know about the quality of the books, because there's so many of them, but there certainly is a lot of them for many languages.

Pokemon_Veteran
3rd June 2009, 4:23 AM
This isn't exactly programming, but it can be used with it, such as in generating fractals.

To find the nRoot of number A, graph the functions
f(x)=x
f(x)=A/x^(n-1)

where these two lines intersect is the nRoot of A. 64 is a great number to use since it is square root, cube root, and a 6-root.

I'll update later with more information

Salavoir55
10th June 2009, 10:20 PM
I wonder how they derived that? But that's a mathematics question. Cool though. Ever since I've heard about fractals I've liked them.

Here's a little transform I've found for finding the last digit of an integer number x in at least TI-Basic, C++, Visual Basic, and GW-Basic. It probably works for a bunch of others too.

x - (10*int(x/10)) = the last digit of the number x. int(x) is the greatest integer function, of course. I think another way would be to use 10*fPart(x/10) where fPart = the decimal part of a number. Obviously, iPart or its equivalent can be used instead of int(x)

This is important for something I'm currently programming into my TI-calculator. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=9828808&postcount=1386 I noticed that it would probably be easier to calculate the jump points from my generalized formula through a computer. The formulas are complicated, tedious, and take some time to work through: an excellent job for a computer.

I'm still working on it. I'm having trouble getting it to display properly right now. I did have a little trouble with the While loop, but I think I've fixed it. I'll post the code when I'm done.

Edit: I think I've got it working properly now. I don't really like the way it is displaying, but it is tolerable now. I could fix it if I wanted, but the program already takes 290 bytes of RAM--more than any other program I have on there--despite being a relatively small program, so I may leave it as is. I'll post the code when I get some time.

Edit 2: Here's the code. I wrote the comments the way C++ does them for practice, because as I'm sure you know, TI-Basic doesn't allow comments. Most of them are kind of obvious but there so that I don't forget what certain lines do O=. Also, I tried to write it out the way it appears on the screen, hence the space after each colon and elsewhere in the program.

//Clears out the variables and screen for program use.
: Clrhome: 0-->N: 0-->C
: Input “BASE STAT: ”,B
: Input “IV: ”,I
/*
Converts the base stat to its last digit only, seeing how that’s all that matters with jump points.
*/
: B–10int(B/10)-->B
: Disp “EVs: ”
//Plugs the digit and IV into the formulas I found/made.
: If B=0 or B=5: 20–4I+40int(abs(20–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=1 or B=6: 12–4I+40int(abs(12–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=2 or B=7: 4–4I+40int(abs(4–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=3 or B=8: 36–4I+40int(abs(36–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=4 or B=9: 28–4I+40int(abs(28–4I)/40)-->A
/*
This part keeps the program from displaying a negative number, which is entirely possible considering these generalized formulas reduce to my originals for I = 31.
*/
: If A<0: A+40-->A
/*
Output allows all the EV points to appear on the screen. Hence, the N+1 in the vertical coordinate spot. I thought I might as well take advantage of a variable that I was already using rather than create another one.
*/
: While C≤212: A+40N-->C: N+1-->N: Output(N+1,14,C
: End: DelVar IDelvar ADelvar BDelVar NDelVar C
//Ends loop and cleans up.

Here it is again without comments to make it easy to copy if anyone wants to do so:

: Clrhome: 0-->N: 0-->C
: Input “BASE STAT: ”,B
: Input “IV: ”,I
: B–10int(B/10)-->B
: Disp “EVs: ”
: If B=0 or B=5: 20–4I+40int(abs(20–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=1 or B=6: 12–4I+40int(abs(12–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=2 or B=7: 4–4I+40int(abs(12–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=3 or B=8: 36–4I+40int(abs(36–4I)/40)-->A
: If B=4 or B=9: 28–4I+40int(abs(28–4I)/40)-->A
: If A<0: A+40-->A
: While C≤212: A+40N-->C: N+1-->N: Output(N+1,14,C
: End: DelVar IDelvar ADelvar BDelVar NDelVar C

Pokemon_Veteran
14th June 2009, 2:43 AM
These C++ functions will give the same result as TI-Basic's fPart and iPart functions.

inline double iPart(double n){return (int)n;}

inline double fPart(double n){return n-(int)n;}

Salavoir55
14th June 2009, 6:08 PM
Oops! I made a little mistake. I said the transform works for any real x. It only works for integer x. To make it work for real x though is a trivial matter of taking the integer part of that transform. So for example, int(x - 10int(x/10)) would give the last integer digit of any real x.

Ah, thanks for letting me know about those functions. I'll edit that comment in my post along with the "real" x comment.

Pokemon_Veteran
20th June 2009, 10:29 PM
I have done some research to compile the bulk of these functions. To improve speed of the code, notice that I have the keyword inline in front of each one.
The inline keyword puts the functions code where it is called, thus improving speed. However, it works only for relatively short functions, like less then ten lines of code.

double const pi = 3.14159265358979323846;

inline double nPow(double A, int n);
inline double nRoot(int n, double A);
inline double fPart(double n);
inline double iPart(double n);
inline double rad(double n);
inline double deg(double n);
inline double abs(double n);
inline double sin(double n);
inline double cos(double n);
inline double tan(double n);

inline double nPow(double A, int n){double ret=A; for(n;n>1;n-=1)ret*=A; return ret;}

inline double nRoot(int n,double A){double x=A; for(int i=0;i<16;i+=1)x=(1.0/double(n))*((n-1)*x+A/nPow(x,n-1)); return x;}

inline double iPart(double n){return (int)n;}

inline double fPart(double n){return n-(int)n;}

inline double abs(double n){if(n<0)return -n;return n;}

inline double sin(double n){return (n-(n*n*n)/6+(n*n*n*n*n)/120-(n*n*n*n*n*n*n)/5040);}

inline double cos(double n){return (1-(n*n)/2+(n*n*n*n)/24-(n*n*n*n*n*n)/720+(n*n*n*n*n*n*n*n)/40320);}

inline double tan(double n){return (sin(n)/cos(n));}

inline double rad(double n){return n/180*pi;}

inline double deg(double n){return 180*n/pi;}

Salavoir55
22nd June 2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, that is very cool. However, I have a question about the sine and cosine approximations. They are obviously 7th and 8th order Taylor Polynomials centered at the origin. However, the approximate magnitude of the error gets fairly significant for even n = 3 (|error| < 0.0543 and |error| < 0.0163, if I calculated them right).

How do you take this into account? My guess is that you restrict the domain somewhow (maybe if-then statements) when you use it in a program since 0 <= n <= pi/2 will give all positive values for those functions?

Pokemon_Veteran
23rd June 2009, 10:39 PM
I have updated the code I wrote earlier, unfortunately I don't want to post it due to its sheer length, so I'll be providing a link shortly of my current project which is a header library for windows. The Math.h part appears to have met my requirements, so now I am moving on the "game making" part of the library. Also, I am surprised you recognized the Taylor series algorithm for sine and cosine. I may be promoting you up another status level pretty soon.

Salavoir55
25th June 2009, 4:40 AM
Well, I recognized those approximations because I took AP Calculus BC this past year. That's also how I was able to calculate the error. I look forward to seeing how you got around it.

Also, unfortunately my C++ trial period ran out, and it may be a while before I get it registered (small price for free stuff, eh, Microsoft?). I'll work more with Visual Basic again until I get that fixed. I'm also a little busy at the moment with some last minute school papers, so I won't get much programming done for a while--at least the rest of this week. I'll probably be ready to start learning more again by next week, but I don't know for sure.

Pokemon_Veteran
28th June 2009, 12:41 AM
As for me, the highest math class I attained was Pre-calculus. But for the most part, I do my own research on what I want to learn. Also, Visual Studio C++ Express edition is completely free.
I personally use Netbeans IDE which supports development on platforms besides just Microsoft Windows like Linux for example. I may be a little slow in updates for the next week or so due to a crochet project I am working on. Multitasking lowers efficiency and that goes for computers as well as people.

Salavoir55
8th July 2009, 5:21 PM
Yeah, Visual Studios Express was free, but it is only free for about a month, then they shut it down until you register the product. The registration is free, but it does take time. And I didn't know that the Netbeans IDE did that. I'm going to reconsider dowloading it...

I'll be pretty much gone the rest of this week, so still no programming =(. It is a long road trip though, so I could bring a computer programming book to read.

Pokemon_Veteran
10th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Actually, I never had that problem with the express editions. However, this link should take you to the Visual Studio Express editions. You are probably using something other than the express editions, like a trial version
This link will take you the download site. http://www.microsoft.com/express/

Jackintosh
16th July 2009, 11:27 PM
Yay! A computer programming club! I'm definitly joining. I would like to join as a learner, just got an iphone Development book! Not sure if that's something to be excited about...
SIGN ME UP!

Salavoir55
17th July 2009, 8:03 PM
Yahoo! Another member at last! I hope you're a more permanent member than the others. Welcome! I don't know much about iphones, but I'm guessing they would require some kind of code. Will you elaborate some more on it?

Actually, I never had that problem with the express editions. However, this link should take you to the Visual Studio Express editions. You are probably using something other than the express editions, like a trial version

That's where I downloaded it from. Very odd. Maybe it's a recent change in the way they do it?

Pokemon_Veteran
19th July 2009, 2:43 AM
Jackintosh, I would like to welcome you to the computer programmer's club. Also, here is link to a recent program I made and its source code, http://digitaldoug.ath.cx/japanese_text_processor.zip

Please note that it appears to run correctly on Windows Vista, or a Windows OS that has Unicode installed. Try typing in the Japanese names of Pokemon from the Serebii.net since it converts ro-maji to hiragana.

Jackintosh
19th July 2009, 11:08 PM
@salavoir55: Well, iphone's require a language that is based off of mac objective-c,
which is not a language that can be coded on PC's, it requires a mac... But i am also willing to learn C and C++, but about the mac thing,I'll keep you updated.
@pokemon_veteran: I'm SO excited to be in this club, like i said i'll keep you updated.

Pokemon_Veteran
20th July 2009, 12:53 AM
Jackintosh, do you have python installed on your Mac? Python scripts can run on any computer that has it installed without changing the script. Click this link to go to the Python website http://www.python.org

I don't own a Mac, which is why my knowledge is limited on them. However, it may be better if I teach you Python first, since it runs the same regardless whether the OS is Linux, Windows, or a Mac.

Jackintosh
23rd July 2009, 7:16 PM
@pokemon_veteran: Yes, i do have it on my mac. But i FINALLY fixed my PC, and it would be great if you could help me out with C and C++. I can't come up with a good program for coding in C and C++. I have an ebook for it, will that help? And....I'm currently trying to put mac on my pc, so i won't have to keep "borrowing" my dads mac,
but if it doesn't work out, im sure he won't mind...

-Jackintosh OUT!

Pokemon_Veteran
25th July 2009, 11:32 PM
The only problem I have with a Mac is compatibility issues between OS's. So it may be a while before I can start you in on C/C++ for a Mac. While I am configuring my Windows computer to program for a Mac, I have a python script that you, and every other competitive battling Pokemon fan may like. In the meanwhile, you can download source code I have made from http://digitaldoug.ath.cx/.

Please note that server these files are on is my personal computer, so the downloads may be a little slow. Check back at the site every now and then as well I put more source code up.

palingensia
27th July 2009, 6:52 AM
Hey guys, glad to be in the club. I'm learning Java at uni, have been doing so for a semester now. I'm running Linux, and have been thinking about learning Python and Ruby but not so sure I can be bothered.

Not really sure what to say. =/

Pokemon_Veteran
27th July 2009, 5:08 PM
If I remember correctly, Linux comes with Python installed, so you should check the link in my previous post for a python script I made

palingensia
28th July 2009, 7:38 AM
Yeah it does, and I will check on it when I'm on my laptop with the internet next.

I'm actually trying to make a sort of Shoddy battle-like program in Java with Fakemon I've made, it's proving to be quite interesting. I didn't do to well on my assignment last semester, which was making Battleships, but since this is Pokemon-related it should be somewhat funner.

Pokemon_Veteran
28th July 2009, 9:57 PM
otaku-dono: Speaking of Java, have you tried the Netbeans IDE? Netbeans supports a huge variety of programming and scripting languages, and it runs on practically any OS. I write a bulk of my programs with that IDE. Best of it all, it is open source and free.

Also something I learned a long time ago when programming with Python and this applies to every other language, an infinity loop=non-responsive program.

Jackintosh: I can teach you C/C++, but the OS difference will restrict me to only being able to teach you the syntax.

Salavoir55: Where are you?

Salavoir55
28th July 2009, 10:54 PM
Oh, I'm still around. My tutor program has killed a lot of my internet time is all. Also, at the moment, I'm trying to program a Visual Basic version of the jump point calculator I mentioned earlier. I'm still not quite sure how to do it, but I'm making progress at least.

Also something I learned a long time ago when programming with Python and this applies to every other language, an infinity loop=non-responsive program.
Oh yeah, I've done it before. I can't remember whether I did it on accident or on purpose, but it certainly messed things up.

Pokemon_Veteran
29th July 2009, 5:32 AM
Oh yeah, I've done it before. I can't remember whether I did it on accident or on purpose, but it certainly messed things up.

As for me, the accident came first, followed by me doing it on purpose.
this python code will create an infinity loop that does nothing but loop

while 1:
pass

palingensia
29th July 2009, 6:18 AM
otaku-dono: Speaking of Java, have you tried the Netbeans IDE? Netbeans supports a huge variety of programming and scripting languages, and it runs on practically any OS. I write a bulk of my programs with that IDE. Best of it all, it is open source and free.
I've just got BlueJ, since that's what we get taught with in class and it makes labs easier. It's a pretty good program, simple to use.

Infinite loops are fun, but with BlueJ it actually tells you when you have an infinite loop and doesn't let the program compile.

Salavoir55
29th July 2009, 8:13 PM
Well, here's something interesting I found out today which caused me so much trouble and cost me so much time to finally figure out. It is that if you have a mathematical operation performed on a variable such as multiplication, you must write it out. If the variable is "I" you can't have "4I" but must have "4 * I".

I don't know if this just has to do with the IDE or if it applies to Visual Basic alone, but I certainly didn't know it until today. I'm glad that it was a syntax error messing up my calculator and not the equations themselves though, since those would require more effort and time to fix.

Pokemon_Veteran
31st July 2009, 1:16 AM
If the variable is "I" you can't have "4I" but must have "4 * I".
TI-Basic is the only language I know that you can put "4I" down and not recieve an error. In languages such as C/C++, it would probably confuse 4I with a variable or constant of some sort. Spaces are very important.

Also, I may be unavaible on August 3rd and August 18-26.

palingensia
31st July 2009, 7:25 AM
Ok what the hell. I just tried to open BlueJ, but nothing happened. Turns out the actual BlueJ file has disappeared. D: Anyone know why this may be? I never deleted or moved it, I'm certain.

Pokemon_Veteran
1st August 2009, 8:29 AM
I looked at the website, and it may be easiest to just download and reinstall BlueJ.
Fortunately you don't have pay to use it since it is open source. You may have already done this by now, but here's the link. http://www.bluej.org/download/download.html

It seems like a very light weight IDE, so I may give it a try sooner or later.

palingensia
1st August 2009, 9:35 AM
I tried reinstalling it, but to no avail. I dunno what the hell's going on.

And it's worth a try, it's pretty simple. It's the only IDE I've used, so I can't really compare it to anything but still.

What's the syntax of C/C++/Python/Ruby like compare to Java do you know?

Pokemon_Veteran
2nd August 2009, 4:19 AM
I have yet to touch Ruby, but I know Python, C/C++, JavaScript, PHP,and some Java. C/C++ are very similar to Java, while Python is unique in a realm of its own, since it resembles no other other programming/scripting language I have tried. Python was in a sense where I started programming.

Also, my knowledge of computers is starting to scare me since I obtained Salavoir55's IP address. Well, I am working a project for Windows which is coming along slowly but surely

Salavoir55
2nd August 2009, 7:53 PM
^lol, yeah, that was pretty scary. Anyways, I just thought I'd better let you all know that I don't know anything right now as far as my situation goes, so there is a chance I may unexpectedly go inactive for a period of time, and it could be longer than two weeks.

TI-Basic is the only language I know that you can put "4I" down and not recieve an error. In languages such as C/C++, it would probably confuse 4I with a variable or constant of some sort. Spaces are very important.
Yeah, GW-Basic is the same way as TI-Basic, so no wonder I didn't know. And when I was making the program, it seemed to ignore the "I" of the "4I" altogether and treated it as a "4."

I'm done with my VB version of my jump point calculator now, as in it works and looks pretty. However, it is possible to break it still, and I'm still trying to figure out the "Try...Catch...Finally" statement to work with errors.

palingensia
4th August 2009, 5:52 AM
I have yet to touch Ruby, but I know Python, C/C++, JavaScript, PHP,and some Java. C/C++ are very similar to Java, while Python is unique in a realm of its own, since it resembles no other other programming/scripting language I have tried. Python was in a sense where I started programming.
Ah ok then. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard picking up other languages to some extent because all of them aim to do roughly the same thing.

And I figured out an easy way to fix BlueJ, I'm just going to partition Windows 7.

Pokemon_Veteran
7th August 2009, 12:43 AM
I am currently configuring my new computer which I built, so I really don't have any news other than I built a computer. Right now, I have temporarily suspended my programming projects until I finish configuring my computer, so I won't have any news for maybe a week or so. Also, August 18-24 I may be completely unavaible due to vacation plans.

palingensia
14th August 2009, 8:23 AM
I was wondering, what sort of things do you guys do to practice your programming? I can't think of anything at my level, only things above it.

Salavoir55
14th August 2009, 4:50 PM
Well, so far I've been lucky. I've managed to think of an appropritate thing to program for my skill level every time. For an example, the jump point calculator I'm just about done working on, came to me at a timely moment when I needed to practice using loops, decision structures, variables, and textboxes in Visual Basic. So making that program is almost like doing the exercises which come with the book.

That's where the most practices come from--the sample programs given in a book that teaches programming. It may not seem like much, but there's something about typing a program which, for me, helps me to learn the language--even if I'm just copying the said program. Thus, I can also use my jump point calculator to help me in several languages. All I have to do is convert it to another language, and I'll automatically have great practice using decision structures, variables, loops, and so forth in that language.

But that's basically it for me. I think of a program (mostly calculational stuff since I don't know much about graphics/animations), then make it. Or, I copy by hand an existing program, making sure I understand what each line of code I copy does.

As far as getting practice while making sure what you're doing is at your level goes, I found it helpful to make computer programs to supplement my math class. One of them even "required" the use of programming. But basically, make programs to solve your math problems or to solve equations, etc. Then, it will definitely not be--too--much beyond your level if at all. And of course, you can make your GUI or main menu however complicated you want in order to practice those at the same time.

Pokemon_Veteran
18th August 2009, 1:24 AM
I was wondering, what sort of things do you guys do to practice your programming? I can't think of anything at my level, only things above it.

Well, my current project in C++ is currently set to make more advanced projects much easier. It is currently at a point of where it is of some actual use. In broad terms, it is a header library targeted for the Windows API. Well, I guess the math functions it has will work on Linux, but the bulk of it is specially targeted to make the Windows API a little easier.

Also, since it is going to be quite large, I have set mechanisms to include or exclude parts of the code being compiled and hence a smaller output.

I will provide more details later since it is far from done.

I may not be available for the next seven days since I will be on vacation. So if any new members want to join while I am out, please contact either Salavoir55 or otaku-dono.

palingensia
18th August 2009, 4:29 AM
Both sound a bit complicated, so lab work will suffice methinks. And considering we've really only just learned how to use the Java interfaces, might be a good idea.

Have a good vacation dude.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271
18th August 2009, 4:51 PM
You guys mind if I join as a Leaner? I would like to learn C++, got any tips? It will really help me, cause I'm planning on being a computer engineer or some close to that.

Salavoir55
19th August 2009, 3:22 AM
Hey! Welcome to the club! A computer engineer huh? That sounds interesting. Anyways, here is a free online guide (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/cc305129.aspx) to learning C++. Here (http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/Default.aspx) is a place you can dowload it for free. You can also use the Netbeans (http://www.netbeans.org/) Integrated Development Environment (IDE) since it works on the Macintosh operating system.

Some free, online computer programming books are here (http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/programming.php), but they are old and may be too outdated, so I recommend learning from the first guide where you can.

And finally, this (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx) is a great resource for programming. It has plenty of guides and explanations for various languages. It's especially helpful if you're trying to figure out the way a function or procedure works or even if such a procedure or function exists (the Visual Studios IDE has a built-in search function for this place, naturally). Research through google is also very helpful when you get stuck.

I hope that helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask, even though I'm not exactly an expert in C++ ^__^.

Both sound a bit complicated, so lab work will suffice methinks. And considering we've really only just learned how to use the Java interfaces, might be a good idea.

Have a good vacation dude.
Yeah, that might be a good idea... I also forgot to mention that I like amassing a large theoretical knowledge of a language before making a program so that I don't get bored making something too simple. It does require painstaking flipping back and forth through pages, but it's not too bad with the Visual Studios IDE at least since it basically "gives" you the method, procedure, keyword, etc. that you're looking for. However, I'm learning in my spare time, so that probably wouldn't be a good thing to try otherwise.

Also, see you later, Pokemon Veteran!

Edit: Visual Basic note. Do not set the transparency key of the form to white if you have textbox controls, or you will be unable to do much of anything to it. If you try to click on the form, whether it's the "X" or another textbox, it will switch to whatever is behind the form. Thus, you also cannot move the form. The form will also be slightly transparent where the textboxes are, and the screen/window behind the form will be seen. You can reset the default setting of the key by right clicking the property and clicking the appropriate option. Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

Pokemon_Veteran
25th August 2009, 5:26 PM
Alright, I am officially back from vacation.

Computer Programmer's Club Update
Salavoir55, I am promoting you to the Lead Programmer status level.
Jackintosh will need to post before Friday to maintain membership.
Fire_Pokemon_Master_271 has officially been added as a learner.

To add Salavoir55's post, to compile C/C++ in Netbeans, you will need MinGW and Msys installed.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271
26th August 2009, 9:33 PM
Hey guys, thanks for letting me into the club. I have been busy lately, but I'm starting the learning back up. I have one problem. I have dial-up internet, so downloading a C++ compiler is a hassle. I have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition operating system from 2005. Does anyone know the most basic C++ compiler that I could you on that system?

Dr. Ste
27th August 2009, 9:50 PM
Hey guys. I would like to join. Recently, I got admitted in the E.C.E school of my university, so I guess I can be called an undergraduate computer engineer! But I already have some knowledge I taught myself (with the help of some books). My programming language of choice is Ruby. I don't know if I'm a learner or a basic programmer. I have solved some "Project Euler" problems.

Wait, I'll post what I generally know about Ruby, from the simplest to the most advanced: Really basics (strings, numbers, puts and gets), Variables and Assignment, lots of methods , higher math, flow control (comparisons, branching and looping), Arrays and iterators, method defining and writing, recursion, reading-writing (with the help of YAML), lots of classes (incl. Threads), plus class creating and changing. You give me whichever rank you think (I think I'll get promoted fast :)).

Plus, I recently started my experience with Linux (ubuntu). I'd be really glad to join!

EDIT: Well, I'd PM any Lead programmer to prove my knowledge. Just tell me what you want my sample code to do. I don't want to give anyone the margin to accuse me of stealing/copying code ;))

solovino
27th August 2009, 11:08 PM
Computer Programmer's Club? This sounds interesting. I'll request to be integrated into the collection of objects that make the array of members. :D

I don't know where do I exactly fit into the member categories however. Maybe somewhere in "returning programmers".

Most of my experience is in C++, incorporating some technical reviews to the 2002 ISO standard, as well as C and some specific-purpose variations of them. Also PHP (and HTML and CSS) for web design and coding, Fortran 77 and BASIC (as in "Original Basic" no "Visual Basic"), and some Pascal/Delphi.

When it comes to C++ programming, I focus and work on multiplatform toolkits, code clearance and clarity, object-oriented programming, data collection and storage. I dion't do much GUI ("graphical") work because of lack of experience, but I make it a point to write my CLI ("console") apps easy to navigate enough that a graphical wrapper can be easily built. I know my way around iterators, collections and algorithms, and am more than a bit proficent, yet not as much as I would like to be, with the Boost C++ libraries and media/event libraries such as SDL. During my tenure as assistant for a Data Structures and Algorithms course I helped update the documentation from mid-80's Pascal to late-90's C++, and from that same tenure five of my students became assistants themselves later.

When it comes to programming for the web, I simply focus on working with some CMSes of my choice such as MediaWiki and DokuWiki, for which I've contrinbuted some code, and e-learning platforms, like Moodle. Standards compliance and hierarchical presentation of data are the elements I care about the most.

I sometimes try other languages, such as Python or Haskell, to have some fun, but I havent found a "new age" language to focus my development on (Python is luring me hard, however).

I went out of programming from 2003 to 2007 and returned to this activity somewhat recently and with a lot of new things to learn. To make sure my discrete math skills were still in good shape, and because I was mad I couldn't get an Umbreon in FR/LG, I decided to work around a party data viewer for the Pokémon Gen III (FR/LG/R/S/E) savefiles, but I'm still thinking whether to keep working on it because I don't see people interested (most of the fan focus in Gen III is ROM hacking...).

What I plan to do next? Update my curriculum in the C++ and PHP area, focusing on the late reccomendations to the C++0X standard, merging of libraries, at least a basic form of cryptography, data hiding, handling of internationalization/localization, device-to-device interfaces, and more focus on Linux programming like the native GTK/Qt libraries.

Well that would be all by now and if I was being too convoluted up there with the arrays stuff, yes, I want to join... :D

Salavoir55
28th August 2009, 3:11 AM
Cool. I'm on the lead programmer level =D! I don't know if I deserve it though, since I really don't know a whole lot about programming...or at least I don't think I do. I've actually never had any formal training in computer programming and have had to teach myself it during my spare time. I definitely don't know as much as our newest members, that's for sure. Welcome to the club, people!

Hey guys, thanks for letting me into the club. I have been busy lately, but I'm starting the learning back up. I have one problem. I have dial-up internet, so downloading a C++ compiler is a hassle. I have a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition operating system from 2005. Does anyone know the most basic C++ compiler that I could you on that system?
Unfortunately, I don't know of any, but I don't know of too many C++ compilers. So, maybe someone else does. However, if you can't find one, then you can always do what I did for dowloading Netbattle (I had dial-up then) and dowload it during the night.

EDIT: Well, I'd PM any Lead programmer to prove my knowledge. Just tell me what you want my sample code to do. I don't want to give anyone the margin to accuse me of stealing/copying code )
Well, I'd give you something to do, except I'm not sure what would show you to be at which level. (I was hoping you'd join, btw, once I learned that you knew some Ruby.) You should probably wait for Pokemon Veteran.

Most of my experience is in C++, incorporating some technical reviews to the 2002 ISO standard, as well as C and some specific-purpose variations of them. Also PHP (and HTML and CSS) for web design and coding, Fortran 77 and BASIC (as in "Original Basic" no "Visual Basic"), and some Pascal/Delphi.
BASIC, wow. The oldest language that I've worked with has been GW-BASIC. That's quite a bit of languages there too and quite a bit of words for a first post =). Also, you're definitely a respected programmer, lol! That's a lot of respectable accomplishments in computer programming!

Pokemon_Veteran
29th August 2009, 1:10 AM
Cool. I'm on the lead programmer level =D! I don't know if I deserve it though, since I really don't know a whole lot about programming

Well I have a list of reasons on why I put you on the Lead Programmer Status level. First, when I got back from my vacation, you handled the job on managing new members exceptionally well. You may not have exactly as much experience as I do, but you seem extremely dedicated to learning and have been an active and responsible member of this club since this club first got going several months ago. Also, this club in a sense owes its life in part to you since you have have been the only regular poster besides myself in its beginning. Also, I think you are one of the more mature members of Serebii.net based on your posts I have read.

Well, guess its time for me to learn Ruby.

Dr. Ste
29th August 2009, 2:33 PM
Oh yes! I've been added as a Basic Programmer! Well, looks like I convince about what I know without posting any sample of code. Anyway, I'll introduce a topic.

Multi-processor applications.
Most modern processors are at least Dual-core (even some older ones have HyperThreading). Therefore, it is meaningful to write code in a way to utilize this. Do you? Well, I have tried multithreading, but the standard Ruby interpreter does not do that efficiently. Jruby does, but it doesn't compile to .exe in a way I know of. And I'm not that skillfull with multiple processes...

Pokemon_Veteran
30th August 2009, 1:43 AM
I have noticed that most applications that use these features are mainly high end games or a program that demands a lot of resources (which includes games).
I would also suppose people hated Vista when it came out had computers with not enough resources. My first computer had Vista and 1GB of RAM, thus it could run much of anything quickly if at all. Once you have a machine that doesn't have all its resources used by the OS, Vista is actually very enjoyable.

Speaking of multiple processors, Windows Task Manager also allows you to select which processor an application will be able to use. I have actually made very good use of this by running two video converters with each assigned to a different processor core.

Salavoir55
1st September 2009, 3:28 AM
Okay, I see your reasoning, Pokemon Veteran. And that's cool about Windows Task Manager. I did not know this. How do you assign different processors for applications?

Dr. Ste
1st September 2009, 6:36 PM
I have noticed that most applications that use these features are mainly high end games or a program that demands a lot of resources (which includes games).
I would also suppose people hated Vista when it came out had computers with not enough resources. My first computer had Vista and 1GB of RAM, thus it could run much of anything quickly if at all. Once you have a machine that doesn't have all its resources used by the OS, Vista is actually very enjoyable.
Well, better performance is always fun. Vista was more hated due to the comparison with XP. I love this OS (as well as Windows ME), so cute!
But they say Windows 7 is going to be a lot faster, almost as fast as Windows XP. We'll see... I haven't installed it (it says my PC can't take it, though I think it's just me doing something wrong).

Speaking of multiple processors, Windows Task Manager also allows you to select which processor an application will be able to use. I have actually made very good use of this by running two video converters with each assigned to a different processor core
Juicy. Any idea how to do that in Ubuntu?

palingensia
2nd September 2009, 6:35 AM
Hey guys, sorry about lack of posting but I'm never exactly sure of what to say. =/

Anyways, I've been doing my assignment recently. The first part is just working with a ranked bag array, so nothing special. I've been annoyed a bit by something though, BlueJ isn't letting me compile so I can't check/test because of a static access error. Now, I don't remember exactly what static methods/variables are, can someone remind me?

solovino
2nd September 2009, 4:53 PM
Holy compiler barrages! I updated my C++ compiler to GCC 4.3.3 and I regret it!
Somehow the only compiler I trust for my own stuff is GCC 3.4.4 (look at the nice inversion :D) if only because it's the only compiler I've ever managed tocorrectly compile myself.

Anyways... thank you Pokemon_Veteran for welcoming me. I'll now try to help with the questions other members have.

Now, I don't remember exactly what static methods/variables are, can someone remind me?
Hey, IIRC, a variable that is "static" is "unique" in the sense that it is shared among all instances of its parents scope. For example, if you declare a variable inside a class as static, all objects of that class share the same variable (their value is the same, what one object does to the variable is known by other objects). One implements static class variables to create such thingas as instance/reference counters, sharing a higher-scope state (such as a location in disk to save data), etc...

I think static functions work pretty much the same except with some specific differences I can not recall right now, sorry. Haven't used Java for very long...

(about multithread processing and CPU quota assignment)

Juicy. Any idea how to do that in Ubuntu?

I'm positively sure that the answer lies somewhere inside the [b]pThread libraries[/i] but your application would have to be recompiled from source code to perform the necessary modifications.

However, unlike in WXP or similar, I think it's not possible in Linux to "ensure" that a process/thread gets assigned to a specific CPU; what you can do is "suggest" a CPU quota and then hope the kernel thinks your idea is good enough. This is because the kernel uses a speecial algorithm for the schedulling model.

Look inside pThreads or the Boost C++ Threads implementation if you want to write a program, and also check for a package called "schedutils" which would work wonders for already existent services (such as Apache, etc...), not normal programs, but at least it can give you some degree of control. Needless to say, your kernel and job handler packages must support the specific features necessary for multi-processor governing to work.

Pokemon_Veteran
3rd September 2009, 4:14 AM
I am about to begin working on a PHP based website as soon as I get IIS 7.0 configured to work with it. It will mainly be a computer help site. To make things easier for us to share code, I will make a page for uploading and downloading code created by the members of this club.

I am thinking about naming the site "http://computertechassist.ath.cx" Well, I'll provide more details when the site begins to take shape.

palingensia
5th September 2009, 12:43 AM
Hey, IIRC, a variable that is "static" is "unique" in the sense that it is shared among all instances of its parents scope. For example, if you declare a variable inside a class as static, all objects of that class share the same variable (their value is the same, what one object does to the variable is known by other objects). One implements static class variables to create such thingas as instance/reference counters, sharing a higher-scope state (such as a location in disk to save data), etc...

I think static functions work pretty much the same except with some specific differences I can not recall right now, sorry. Haven't used Java for very long...
So there wasn't anything I was missing, damn. I go to compile what I've done and it doesn't let me because of one line:

private E[] bag = new E[INITIAL_CAPACITY];

It says something along the lines of E not being static and therefore I can't access something static. It's frustrating.

solovino
5th September 2009, 5:19 AM
Wel, otaku-dono, it would heavily depend upon the scope of E. I seem to recall that static access needs to be declared at a specific point in a class, can't remember how that worked. If you can PM/VM/discuss here me the source code that causes the error I can help you narrow it down or elliminate it completely.

Without more info, I would assume that the error refers to either INITIAL or CAPACITY being static, which would impede the declaration of "E" to take their values in a constructor due to ambiguity-of-scope-intialization issues. If one of the two variables is static, it may be good to wrap it in a class-level static function, so that the variable is always initialized at the point where it's first requested. That solution stems from my familiarity with similar issues in C++, however, so without examining the code I doubt I can get anything more correct.

I am about to begin working on a PHP based website as soon as I get IIS 7.0 configured to work with it. It will mainly be a computer help site. To make things easier for us to share code, I will make a page for uploading and downloading code created by the members of this club.

I am thinking about naming the site "http://computertechassist.ath.cx" Well, I'll provide more details when the site begins to take shape.

A computer help site... Sounds interesting, but... has it to be IIS 7.0? (Not that I have that much against the software, it's mostly the version that I've seen several issues with). WIll you keep the subject broad or will it be a site dedicated to a more "specific" computer help site?

Also, a question on documentation and popularity: how many people here use a source code documentation model such as JavaDoc, to help create manuals and the like?

Dr. Ste
5th September 2009, 1:33 PM
I'm positively sure that the answer lies somewhere inside the [b]pThread libraries[/i] but your application would have to be recompiled from source code to perform the necessary modifications.

However, unlike in WXP or similar, I think it's not possible in Linux to "ensure" that a process/thread gets assigned to a specific CPU; what you can do is "suggest" a CPU quota and then hope the kernel thinks your idea is good enough. This is because the kernel uses a speecial algorithm for the schedulling model.

Look inside pThreads or the Boost C++ Threads implementation if you want to write a program, and also check for a package called "schedutils" which would work wonders for already existent services (such as Apache, etc...), not normal programs, but at least it can give you some degree of control. Needless to say, your kernel and job handler packages must support the specific features necessary for multi-processor governing to work.
Thanks, I'm looking at it right now O_O.

Nice idea. Especially the code sharing part, I was wondering why we're a Computer Programmer's club and I don't see much code around...

Also, a question on documentation and popularity: how many people here use a source code documentation model such as JavaDoc, to help create manuals and the like?
Hehe, noob here, I hardly write any comments, let alone documentation.

Pokemon_Veteran
6th September 2009, 10:29 PM
A computer help site... Sounds interesting, but... has it to be IIS 7.0? (Not that I have that much against the software, it's mostly the version that I've seen several issues with). WIll you keep the subject broad or will it be a site dedicated to a more "specific" computer help site?

I have been having trouble getting PHP to work with IIS so, I'll try Apache. May be a while before the site is actually running, since the server software is still being configured.

I'll let you guys know when I get somewhere with it. I also need to check on Jackintosh's last date of activity, he hasn't posted for like 3 weeks now.

Jackintosh
11th September 2009, 8:22 PM
Hey guy's, im SOOO sorry that i could not post, i was being lazy, and upgrading my computer to linux.
Anyway, i decided that C and c++ was not something i wanted to learn yet, but i want to learn a few others. Here's the list of programming launguages that i want to learn: Html, java, css, and xml. i've been thinking, html is easier to learn, and i really wanted to make a browser based pokemon rpg. And i'm running ubuntu 9.04 with an acer aspire 5735z, if you need that.

Jackintosh
11th September 2009, 8:23 PM
Hey guy's, im SOOO sorry that i could not post, i was being lazy, and upgrading my computer to linux.
Anyway, i decided that C and c++ was not something i wanted to learn yet, but i want to learn a few others. Here's the list of programming launguages that i want to learn: Html, java, css, and xml. i've been thinking, html is easier to learn, and i really wanted to make a browser based pokemon rpg. And i'm running ubuntu 9.04 with an acer aspire 5735z, if you need that.

Jackintosh
11th September 2009, 8:24 PM

Pokemon_Veteran
12th September 2009, 2:28 AM
Well, its good to see you back Jackintosh, and it sounds like you want to do some web design. Also, I should state that Java and JavaScript are two very different things.

Java itself is a programming language, meaning an application written in it can run by itself.

JavaScript is a scripting language, meaning applications written in it are dependant on an interpreter of sorts. For instance, to run a Python script, you need to have the interpreter installed to run it.

I am assuming you meant JavaScript instead of Java.

Well I know the syntax of HTML, CSS,and JavaScript. XML is a bit more complex and has multiple uses.

Also, I would prefer if you know you are going to have an extended leave please let the club know about it. Jackintosh, you still have your membership, but please let us, know before you take an extended leave.

Jackintosh
13th September 2009, 9:49 PM
Well, im glad im back. So yes, i did mean javascript. I've been doing a little html, and in a little while i will upload an example i've made. and i just upgraded my computer to slackware, but i can't get a gui. so im just going to go back to ubuntu.
Jackintosh out!

Salavoir55
14th September 2009, 3:28 AM
So I have a question. I'm finally taking C++ as a (self-taught) course in school, and I noticed something interesting about the unsigned char data type. It store an integer from 0 to 255 inclusive with only 1 byte of memory, iirc. 255, as I'm sure everyone knows, is the maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon has.

Does the char data type (1 byte of information) have something to do with this? I remember asking this question to someone else before, but I forgot the answer: why can a Pokemon have 255 EVs at max in a stat when 3 EVs are wasted? Is it because you can't have less than 1 byte of information and so it's simpler to allow a positive integer value that is the same as the maximum integer a byte can store?

Cell
14th September 2009, 7:00 PM
Err hi guys, I'm not ready to join yet, but I've seen some people looking for a C++ compiler; and I think I could help, but I'm not sure.

I'm following computing in school and we use 'Bloodshed Dev C++ (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html)'-editor for C++ and I think it has some of the functions you need.

Their site says this (I linked to their site in the name);

- Support GCC-based compilers
- Integrated debugging (using GDB)
- Project Manager
- Customizable syntax highlighting editor
- Class Browser
- Code Completion
- Function listing
- Profiling support
- Quickly create Windows, console, static libraries and DLLs
- Support of templates for creating your own project types
- Makefile creation
- Edit and compile Resource files
- Tool Manager
- Print support
- Find and replace facilities
- CVS support

They also have this neat little list;

http://www.bloodshed.net/compilers/index.html

Really something to check out.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but you never know if this is what you're looking for.

Hope I helped. :)

(Maybe I'll join later, when I'm a bit further in my courses of C++ and Java).

solovino
15th September 2009, 4:20 AM
So I have a question. I'm finally taking C++ as a (self-taught) course in school, and I noticed something interesting about the unsigned char data type. It store an integer from 0 to 255 inclusive with only 1 byte of memory, iirc. 255, as I'm sure everyone knows, is the maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon has.

Does the char data type (1 byte of information) have something to do with this? I remember asking this question to someone else before, but I forgot the answer: why can a Pokemon have 255 EVs at max in a stat when 3 EVs are wasted? Is it because you can't have less than 1 byte of information and so it's simpler to allow a positive integer value that is the same as the maximum integer a byte can store?

Good to see someone else is taking C++. I'm "re-taking" it, in a way. As for your question, it goes both ways, actually. Someone who has a better understanding in software engineering can word this much bettern that I can but still I try:

The short answer is yes, EVs being capped as they are is most likely a choice based on hardware characteristics.

The long story? Assuming anything I say has some sense...

Nothing says that they (Nintendo's programmers) couldn't allow for EV's to be ranged in [0..31] for example, and pad together as 5-bit fields in a 4-byte structure. That's what actually happens with EV points if you check the data substructure information posted somewhere else. However, since processors are intended to read data in byte-sized packets, not following that would imply extra calculations (offset, padding, trimming and moduling) at every step; so it's better to avoid such calculations when possible by working with the next available storage size the hardware can provide (1, 2, 4, 8... bytes) and then perform software corrections at the end, such as "cap the value at 252 at the end".
So it's mostly a matter of design for simplicity: since you won't be able to directly address less than one byte and you will have to do EV calculations way too often, it's better to simply pay the price of having 8 bits occupied together and take advantage of that to design EVs the way they are more useful.
Compare that against the fact that IV are stored as a value in a range [0..31] thus taking only five bits of memory, and that data is the same for an individual Pokémon for its entire lifetime. Here, most likely the choice taken was design for persistence: since the data calculations only take meaning when a level is gained and maybe the Pkémon is evolved, or when updating data to/from Storage, storing such valuable data in a way that 1.- takes the less room possible and 2.- does not allow corruption (such as, a Pokémon having 48 SpAttack IVs) , is very important concept-wise, and it no longer matter that the calculations are more costly.

Long post is long... :D

Pokemon_Veteran
15th September 2009, 5:48 AM
Speaking of signed and unsigned variables, the number of possible values doesn't change but the value range does.

For instance, an unsigned short has a value range of 0 - 65535. While a signed short has a value range of -32768 - 32767.

Also, data types are signed by default using signed is in a sense pointless.

Edit
The code sharing website I mentioned should be available soon. I am currently in the process of designing it in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express.

Below will be the url to the site.
http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/

Edit
The code sharing site is finally up and running. It will still need some work, but it is finally useable. Anyone can view the code posted, but to post code you'll need to login. I have to manually assign everyone in the club a username and password. The url in the previous edit is now active.

Salavoir55
19th September 2009, 5:02 PM
Good to see someone else is taking C++. I'm "re-taking" it, in a way. As for your question, it goes both ways, actually. Someone who has a better understanding in software engineering can word this much bettern that I can but still I try:

The short answer is yes, EVs being capped as they are is most likely a choice based on hardware characteristics.

The long story? Assuming anything I say has some sense...

Nothing says that they (Nintendo's programmers) couldn't allow for EV's to be ranged in [0..31] for example, and pad together as 5-bit fields in a 4-byte structure. That's what actually happens with EV points if you check the data substructure information posted somewhere else. However, since processors are intended to read data in byte-sized packets, not following that would imply extra calculations (offset, padding, trimming and moduling) at every step; so it's better to avoid such calculations when possible by working with the next available storage size the hardware can provide (1, 2, 4, 8... bytes) and then perform software corrections at the end, such as "cap the value at 252 at the end".
So it's mostly a matter of design for simplicity: since you won't be able to directly address less than one byte and you will have to do EV calculations way too often, it's better to simply pay the price of having 8 bits occupied together and take advantage of that to design EVs the way they are more useful.
Compare that against the fact that IV are stored as a value in a range [0..31] thus taking only five bits of memory, and that data is the same for an individual Pok&#233;mon for its entire lifetime. Here, most likely the choice taken was design for persistence: since the data calculations only take meaning when a level is gained and maybe the Pk&#233;mon is evolved, or when updating data to/from Storage, storing such valuable data in a way that 1.- takes the less room possible and 2.- does not allow corruption (such as, a Pok&#233;mon having 48 SpAttack IVs) , is very important concept-wise, and it no longer matter that the calculations are more costly.

Long post is long...
lol, indeed it is! XD Anyways, I won't pretend I understood all of that, but I understood enough. Thanks for the in depth explanation!

The code sharing website I mentioned should be available soon. I am currently in the process of designing it in Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express.

Below will be the url to the site.

Wow, I didn't know you could do web design in Visual Studio, but I'll probably work on web programming next semester. It seems to work, from what I can see without logging in. It definitely could use some color though imo, but that's part of what you meant by "need some work."

I may lose my internet connection soon, and I don't know when I'll get it back. Just so everyone knows if I disappear for too long.

Pokemon_Veteran
21st September 2009, 12:54 AM
The site http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/ is the club's code sharing site.

To register, you'll need to send me a Private Message with the following information in this format.

Username: logonName
Password: *******
Email: email@email.com (optional)

Anyone can look at the posted code, however only members I have registered can post code.

IMPORTANT
Please make sure the password IS NOT your sppf account, email account, or any other account of yours password.

Dr. Ste
23rd September 2009, 10:08 PM
You probably noticed that I uploaded some code. "Euler 255.rb" is my solution to the Project Euler problem No 255 link (http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems&id=255). It is not supposed to be solved by direct brute force (I tried that, went to sleep, and when I awoke it hadn't finished. These problems are supposed to be solved in minutes' range).

My solution is fast enough. However, Ruby being Ruby, it is VERY memory intensive. My current system is a P4 3GHz (HT) with 1GB ram. It doesn't take long for it to take up my entire ram, as well as 1GB of swapfile. I think the program needs more memory, and is not allowed as much as it needs in my system. After some time, it practically freezes, doing short leaps of computation between long intervals.

I have thought some solutions. First, if any of you have a more powerful system (like, 1,5-2GB of ram or more), you could try and run the program for me and tell me the output, as well as how much time it took to finish. If you don't have ruby installed and would rather not install it, I can send a standalone executable.

Moreover, if you know Ruby and can understand my code, you could "translate" some parts I'm going to tell you into another, faster, less greedy language (preferably C). I can stick your translation into my code with a tool called RubyInline. Performance problem fixed.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Pokemon_Veteran
23rd September 2009, 10:38 PM
I have looked at the code. At a quick glance it looks like a combination of Windows Resource Code and Python. Also, I'll try running it since I have 4GB of RAM installed on my system.

Well, I'd better get to work on sample Windows API code. It takes quite a bit of code to generate an empty window in C/C++ for the Windows OS.

solovino
27th September 2009, 3:52 AM
Well, I'd better get to work on sample Windows API code. It takes quite a bit of code to generate an empty window in C/C++ for the Windows OS.

QFT. And wrapper frameworks such as WxWidgets, no matter how efficient the writing, seem to make things worse when unrolling is involved...

That's one of the reasons why I stick to terminal-mode programming even at this point of 20XX.

Anyways, I know I haven't posted here for a while but I have to help a partner with his design for an Erlang program which will take a while. I don't doubt his code is OK, but I think a less language-detached view of his problem will definitively help. He's trying to build a semicybernetic system that will monitor the connection state of both a "sister" facility and itself in real time, and build a connection history and a set of optimized connection bridges for a third party system by using a constructed, ever-evolving "health chart". It would be nice, easy and dandy if it weren't because of the realtime requirement...

Pokemon_Veteran
28th September 2009, 3:52 AM
That's one of the reasons why I stick to terminal-mode programming even at this point of 20XX.

Terminal Programs are great for experienced computer users, but to the average computer user (which is most people), they are nightmares, especially for dinosaurs.

I am pretty sure I can make easy big money by developing a GUI to just send commands to command line programs that come with the OS.

VistaBootPro is a pretty good example, because every thing it does, you can do via the command line, and they now charge people for that program. (Makes me glad I got it before they started charging)

Salavoir55
8th October 2009, 3:02 AM
Quick post. I'm busy this time of year still though I do have Internet access. Anyways, I looked at some of the website code. Dr. Ste's has disappeared?

I'll send you my log-in info later, Pokemon Veteran.

Pokemon_Veteran
8th October 2009, 9:51 PM
Dr. Ste's has disappeared?

It is there, the directory Steven is where his code goes. It goes under the site's logon name to avoid overwriting other member's code.

I have uploaded a zipfile called "japanese_romaji-hiragana.zip" It contains a pretty neat program that translates ro-maji to hiragana.

If you type "pikachu" and click parse, "pikachu" will become "ぴかちゅ"

Here's the direct link (http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/fileuploads/Doug/japanese_romaji-hiragana.zip)

Salavoir55
13th October 2009, 9:20 PM
Well, I tried posting some code, but I got the same error I get when I tried accessing Dr. Ste's code. I'll have to play with it more later, since once again, I have to leave for an extended period of time that is more than two weeks (and I just got back too =[).

Anyways, to ask a question related to computer programming, I was learning about the way functions work in C++ and how the code written for the functions are localized to what's written between "{}". On a zetaboards forum, I noticed that the source code for the forum's color and design, which I presume to be CSS, also used "{}" in a similar module form that is not unlike C++.

Does anyone here happen to know whether there's a connection between C++ and CSS, or is that just a standard way of doing modular programming nowadays? Note that I probably won't see the answer for a while, but it's something someone can post about and thus bump the club.

Also, in case none of you have seen what I'm talking about and don't feel like making a zetaboards, here's the first few "groups" of code that I'm talking about.

html,body {
background:#999999;
color:#419;
font-family:"Helvetica", "Arial", "Bitstream Vera Sans", "Verdana", sans-serif;
font-size:93.3&#37;;
margin:0;
padding:0;
}

a {
color:#339933;
text-decoration:none;
}

a:hover {
color:#FB9E3B;
text-decoration:none;
}

hr {
background-color:#5a70b3;
border:0;
clear:both;
color:#5a70b3;
height:1px;
}

table {
border-collapse:collapse;
border-spacing:0;
clear:both;
empty-cells:show;
width:100%;
}

th,td {
border:1px solid #e7e7e7;
}

th {
background:url(http://209.85.62.24/static/1/sub.png) repeat-x top #fafafa;
color:#777;
font-weight:400;
padding:3px 5px;
text-align:left;
}

td {
background:#ccccff;
color:#333;
padding:5px 10px;
}

th a,th a:hover {
color:#777;
font-weight:700;
}

h1 {
font-size:200%;
}

h2,h3 {
font-size:100%;
}

.category h2,.topic h2,#portal h2,#portal_foot h2,thead th {
background:url(http://209.85.62.24/static/1/css/h2.png) repeat-x top #6a7db6;
color:#fff;
font-size:110%;
font-weight:700;
}

thead th {
border:1px solid #5a70b3;
border-bottom-width:1px;
padding:5px;
text-align:center;
}

h2.special {
background:url(http://209.85.62.24/static/1/css/h2s.png) repeat-x top #FB9D3A;
background:#009933;
border-color:#e77700;
}

Pokemon_Veteran
14th October 2009, 1:01 AM
Just fixed the problem. I hadn't added the MIME type, so the server didn't know what to do when you requested a file with the .rb extension.

BTW Salavoir55, the file you uploaded was a visual studio 2008 project file. I will delete it, since it contains no source code. Don't worry about it though. Also, the filesize limit is 512KB (More than generous).

oooo
18th October 2009, 3:07 AM
Hello, I would like to join here as a learner. I am currently taking a course in Java at my school, and would like to learn more. My only programming knowledge is a little bit of TI Basic (TI calculator lang) and...well.....Scratch. If you don't know what scratch is, I'd say go check it out - its a good baby language to learn from. So, yeah, I'm here to learn!

Pokemon_Veteran
19th October 2009, 7:57 PM
Alright, I'll go ahead and add you as a learner. The site http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/ is the club's code sharing site. I suggest you check it out, since there is some source code posted by the club's members you can view/download.

Also, the computer problems I had are gone, so the site is back up.

As in terms of projects, I am currently working on a program to customize windows Context Menu, which is the menu that appears when you right click. I can do it manually by editing Windows Registry, but I want a more automated way of doing so, thus my current project.

Next person who posts will make post 100 for the club.

oooo
19th October 2009, 9:40 PM
Post 100. Woot/etc. Anyone here know who I should talk to about learning Java?

Pokemon_Veteran
20th October 2009, 1:59 AM
Unfortunately, my knowledge on Java is limited. I have tried it and it seems very similar to C/C++. Also, once you pick up a language, the process of learning another seems much easier. It took me six whole months to learn Python on my own, followed by three months of learning C/C++, and then about a week to pick up the basic syntax of Ruby. Well, I wonder how long it will take for me to learn Java when I get to it?

Well, the code sharing site is an excellent source for source code. Take time to look around. Also, if you need a simple install of Ruby that works with Tk, I have uploaded a copy of it to the site. It is about 4.5MB in size.

oooo
23rd October 2009, 12:55 AM
I have kept working and have managed to come up with a preliminary pokemon damage calc - in Java! I'd love for people here to test/use it...

http://pastebin.com/f109b07c0

Lemme know if there are any specific improvements to be made.

Dr. Ste
23rd October 2009, 9:11 PM
I'd like to mention that I am alive. I moved to another city for studies, and I don't have my Internet connection set up yet. This is my short visit to my family's home.

To fake activity, I am uploading a Python, buggy, ugly, incomplete, beta, under development, rational linear system solver. You insert any nxn linear system, and it is supposed to solve it.

If you get a ZeroDivision Error after the triangularized (is there such a word?) matrix is printed, your system has either infinite or no solutions. If you get something like Index error or out of range stuff (happens sometimes), try swapping some rows. If something else happens, you did something wrong. If a solution is reached, it is correct.

Python just Well, I suppose you have a lot of constructive criticism to make. Hey, I'm learning Python just now and this is my second program...

Also, yay for Ruby. What do you think of it, Pokemon Veteran?

Also, yay for Java. It's going to be the next language I'll learn. I have already bought a good book. After that, I'll try some C.

EDIT: NO! I can't upload! I get an error!
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271
23rd October 2009, 9:54 PM
I am posting to officially say I am leaving this club. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that with school and homework I don't have the time to learn much. I plan to rejoin when I get time to learn, probably during summer. Anyway, smell ya later.

oooo
25th October 2009, 6:42 PM
I would like everyone here to go to Scratch.Mit right now and download scratch. It is the most epicly easy programming language ever. Thank you, I'm done. ._.

solovino
27th October 2009, 4:20 AM
A shame you're leaving, FirePokémonMaster, but I hope you can be back once life is less a beatch with us all. I'm with finals (my thesis) as well, so I don't have much time. I'm waaay back with my learning of Symplit and Python... :(

Oh well I guess I'll try and continue to be active, programming-wise.

Pokemon_Veteran
27th October 2009, 7:59 PM
Currently I am learning TI Assembly for my TI-84 plus Calculator. It is currently going rough as the syntax for a sample program resembles something like this

.nolist
#include "ti83plus.inc"
#define ProgStart $9D95
.list
.org ProgStart - 2
.db t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp
bcall(_ClrLCDFull)
ld hl, 0
ld (PenCol), hl
ld hl, msg
bcall(_PutS) ; Display the text
bcall(_NewLine)
ret

msg:
.db "Hello world!", 0
.end
.end

This is an assembly program that I did copy and paste, so I didn't write it, but just is an example that shows the lower you go, the harder it gets.

Jackintosh
30th October 2009, 10:55 PM
Well, i had gone thru a lot of thinking, and C is it. Anyway, i wanted to make a simulator, but could not figure out how to do it. Any help would be appreciated!

Pokemon_Veteran
31st October 2009, 9:15 PM
Jackintosh, a simulator is an advanced program, so I would recommend you work your skills up to that. Starting with an advanced program like that will only discourage you. Also, a neat thing with C is, a C++ compiler can compile C program. For example, I wanted to make a Pong Game in Z80, but couldn't do it, do to the complexity of the program. So, I made a less complex program for my TI-84 plus calculator, a simple program displaying the calculator battery status, OS version, and amount of free RAM.
The source code for it in Z80 assembly is below.

.nolist
#include "ti83plus.inc"
.list
.org $9D93
.db t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp
b_call(_ClrLCDFull)

ld a, 0
ld (curRow), a
ld (curCol), a
ld hl, battery
b_call(_PutS)
ld a, 8
ld (curCol), a
b_call(_Chk_Batt_Low)
cp 0
jr is, good
jr is_not, bad
complete:
b_call(_NewLine)
ld a, 0
ld (curCol), a
ld hl, version
b_call(_PutS)
b_call(_GetBaseVer)

add a, 48
b_call(_PutC)
ld a, '.'
b_call(_PutC)

ld d, 10
ld l, b
ld h, 0

call Div_HL_D

ld (buf), a
ld a, l
add a, 48
b_call(_PutC)
ld a, (buf)
add a, 48
b_call(_PutC)
b_call(_NewLine)
ld hl, freeRam
b_call(_PutS)
b_call(_MemChk)
b_call(_DispHL)
b_call(_NewLine)
ret
battery:.db "Battery:",0
freeRam:.db "Free RAM:",0
version:.db "OS:",0
szgood: .db "Good",0
szbad: .db "Bad",0
buf: .db 0
var_str: .db 30h, 30h
good:
ld hl, szgood
b_call(_PutS)
ld a,0
cp 0
jr is, complete
bad:
ld hl, szbad
b_call(_PutS)
ld a,0
cp 0
jp is,complete

.module Div_HL_D
Div_HL_D: ; HL = HL &#247; D, A = remainder
XOR A ; Clear upper eight bits of AHL
LD B, 16 ; Sixteen bits in dividend
_loop:
ADD HL, HL ; Do a SLA HL
RLA ; This moves the upper bits of the dividend into A
JR C, _overflow
CP D ; Check if we can subtract the divisor
JR C, _skip ; Carry means D > A
_overflow:
SUB D ; Do subtraction for real this time
INC L ; Set bit 0 of quotient
_skip:
DJNZ _loop
RET
.end
.end

ToonLinkBrawler
5th November 2009, 12:04 AM
So, to join as a programmer, what is the extent of knowledge we need? Like basic "Hello World!" or something like graphics?

Pokemon_Veteran
7th November 2009, 5:44 PM
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
For those who need an IDE, Netbeans is currently sending out free DVD's of their IDE. So if you have a slow Internet connection, I would highly recommend you order a DVD.
Here is the URL to online order formhttp://netbeans.org/about/media_form.html

Apart from that anouncement of the give away, I really have nothing else to say right now besides that I love open source software.

Salavoir55
13th November 2009, 12:30 AM
Okay, I'm tentatively back and will try to post regularly again. Unfortunately, I've been having to sacrifice my computer programming learning time for standardized testing studying and college application stuff, but maybe posting here regularly might force me to work on it again.

BTW Salavoir55, the file you uploaded was a visual studio 2008 project file. I will delete it, since it contains no source code. Don't worry about it though. Also, the filesize limit is 512KB (More than generous).
Ohhh. So that's what happened. I thought it had something to do with that. Thanks for fixing it!

Jackintosh, a simulator is an advanced program, so I would recommend you work your skills up to that. Starting with an advanced program like that will only discourage you.
About how advanced is it both skill- and time-wise, Pokemon Veteran? I'm curious since I am currently interested in a few career paths which include creating simulations.

Post 100. Woot/etc. Anyone here know who I should talk to about learning Java?
If you're still around, oooo, I know otaku-dono knows some java. You could try contacting him. It might give him stuff to post in this club too, haha XD!

Also, the netbeans thing seems cool. I remember I tried downloading it earlier, but I had trouble getting it to actually work after the download. I don't remember the details of what went wrong.

There was something I wanted to ask, but I don't remember what it was, so I'll leave this post as it is for now. I did finish my VB jump point calculator a while ago, btw. It's missing a "help" feature since I couldn't find a way to open a text file which contained that kind of information, but other than that and the picture on front (which was different since I lack good graphics editing software), it is exactly what I had wanted it to be.

Pokemon_Veteran
16th November 2009, 3:47 PM
Well, 9 months ago as of today, this club was created. I think it is time for me to explain one of the reasons I started this club. I created this club shortly after an infraction I received from Reno (sadly, no longer a mod) for posting code in the CRMT. I tried to find a place for programming discussion thread like this but no such, place existed, so I decided to start this club.

Well apart from the story, my current project is a DLL. The DLL will simplify the development of windows applications. I have been planning and working on this project for about a year now. Now that the planning stage is finished I will do some serious coding on so hopefully it will get be done not too long from now.I know what I want it to do, so the coding should go by relatively quick.

Salavoir55
21st November 2009, 1:10 AM
Well, I'm back with some more questions. How difficult is it to set up and run a Shoddy server? Or perhaps more precisely, does anyone know how difficult it is to modify the code once the server has been set-up? I know a user named Kebilito tried making a server, but he came up with this error in the command-line:

C:\Documents and Settings\*My Name*\My Documents\NetBeansProjects\ShoddyBattle>java -cp dist/ShoddyBattle.jar shoddybattle.AccountEditor *username* *password* 2
Loading properties file...
Loading metagame definition file...
Connecting to database...
SQLException: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' <using password: YES>
SQLState: 28000
VendorError: 1045
Failed to initialise the account registry.
I'm guessing it's a problem with the host? Bleh, I hope I don't have another "questions" post next time because otherwise this place might turn into a specialized form of the tech support forum!

Well apart from the story, my current project is a DLL. The DLL will simplify the development of windows applications. I have been planning and working on this project for about a year now. Now that the planning stage is finished I will do some serious coding on so hopefully it will get be done not too long from now.I know what I want it to do, so the coding should go by relatively quick.
That's cool! Also, how exactly do you do the planning? I haven't made anything too complicated yet, so it hasn't been necessary to plan well, but it couldn't hurt to learn how to do that early.

Pokemon_Veteran
23rd November 2009, 6:29 AM
My computer is currently acting up, so I will be doing a clean wipe, which means that the code sharing site will be down temporarily.

Also, I have added ToonLinkBrawler as a Respected Programmer.

EDIT:

The code sharing site is back up after being down for about a solid 24 hours.

ToonLinkBrawler
26th November 2009, 5:33 AM
OK, this really needs to be brought back up from the pits of Internet heck. So, anyone got any progamming jokes? Naw, but as in the post above, I'm a Respected Programmer, but I'm mostly a Java person, so if you need help, I'll try my best.

Pokemon_Veteran
30th November 2009, 7:17 PM
Well my current project exceeds 1,000 lines of code and is expected to continue growing. Well, I have put what is done so far on the code sharing site. The link to the latest version is http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/fileuploads/Doug/WinLib.zip
I would suggest Windows programmers check it out. I have also added documentation for the bulk of this library.

Dr. Ste
7th December 2009, 11:58 AM
My current project is a Python library that creates, edits and handles bitmap images and graphs for functional mathematical purposes.

Should I be woried that I use 2.6?

Salavoir55
9th December 2009, 8:54 PM
^I can't really answer that question. I guess we'll wait on Pokemon Veteran.

I had no internet for a while. I just got it back Monday but it can be hard to get back into the swing of things here at Sppf. -_- Anyways, I was thinking of making a damage calculator which actually works since I found out that Libelldra isn't as accurate as I once thought (it has trouble taking LO into account from time to time). I thought I should probably just structure it around the way Smogon has the damage formula set up and call the variables as they are. Pretty straightforward but the simpler the better.

So, anyone got any progamming jokes?
We r srs in dis club. - .- But actually, no I don't. =p

Here's what I've been using to learn C++ (along with a healthy dosage of MIT's OCW). http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Unfortunately the guide by Mircrosoft went down last time I checked, so that's all there is now for me. I should have worked harder and faster ;_;. Or at the very least copied and pasted that thing xD!

Whew! That's a lot of work you've done there, Pokemon Veteran!

Pokemon_Veteran
12th December 2009, 12:15 AM
Should I be woried that I use 2.6?

I don't think you should be worried right now, the last time I checked, most servers don't use Python 3.0 yet, but like all things in computers, it will eventually become deprecated.

Also, my current project has gotten larger, and I intend to create both a Unicode and ANSI version of it. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

To add to further discussion, Pokemon games are programmed in an object oriented way. For instance, you notice how the trees are all alike in detail. That is an example of an object. Things like that in games and this goes for most if not all video games are all objects.

Here is a sample of object usage in pseudocode. Psuedocode is not the code you compile for the program, just to give you an idea on what to write in actual code.

Sprite object
Sprite -> attribute xPos
Sprite -> attribute yPos
Sprite -> attribute image

In C++ code using Windows API, you can translate this to the following actual code

class Sprite {

public:

int xPos;
int yPos;

private:
HBITMAP _image
};

If you are familiar with C++ and Windows API, this code is of little use but is just for example purposes.

In reality, all video games are computer programs. Doesn't matter what system it is on, because the system in itself is a computer disguised as your Wii, DS, PS3, or Xbox360.

Well, thats all for now.

Jackintosh
16th December 2009, 12:07 AM
C is My PERMADENT path in programming. also, the simulator idea, im just gonna have to drop that for now. I have Absolutly NO knowledge of Assembly, Thats why im holding off(The simulator) idea. But i have been learning quite a bit of c, i just cant come up with something to do with it. Any ideas for a simple application would be appreciated.

Pokemon_Veteran
16th December 2009, 1:16 AM
Jackintosh, I have decided to promote your rank to Basic Programmer. Also, here's a real simple game you can make. It can be command line based, so you don't need a GUI. Simply put together a multiple choice quiz. Here's a sample of a question you can put in it.

1. What is the name of the only known moon in the solar system to have active volcanoes?

a.) Europa
b.) Ganymede
c.) Io
d.) Callisto

Answer: ?

In addition to just telling the user if they got it right or wrong, at the end you can give them a grade.

Also, does any here know the answer to that question.

Salavoir55
16th December 2009, 9:04 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've been a major astronomy buff, but I'm going to guess "Io" is the answer.

Another idea for a (bit more complicated) program to make is this game: "Let's play the ancient game of Nim. We have a pile of seventeen pebbles. We will take turns removing either one, two, or three stones from the pile. Whoever is left with the last pebble loses the game." http://66.70.194.202/Chapter06.htm
I made it in gwbasic, but I'm sure you can find a way to make it work in C. This game also doesn't require a GUI to work.

And of course there are various calculational stuff you can do (e.g. quadratic equation solver). I also have some ideas for what appear to be "useless" programs which I have gotten from my learning of C++, but they are quite simple to make, so if you want them, I'll post them.

Edit: Also, I'm going to infer from Jackintosh's post you need knowledge of Assembly in order to write simulations?

Pokemon_Veteran
19th December 2009, 11:06 PM
Also, I'm going to infer from Jackintosh's post you need knowledge of Assembly in order to write simulations?

Actually, you can write simulations in any language, scripting or programming. For example, Shoddy Battle is a simulator, which is written in Java not assembly.

Also, you are correct with answer Io (which I think is pronounced Jo).

Also, come Christmas, the code sharing site may be down for awhile as I am doing some upgrades to my computer.

Jackintosh
28th December 2009, 2:43 AM
I have received(from cristmas), a c++/c guide, along with a java and programming "Techniqes". And i have recently dual booted my computer, so i can use windows and linux. Ive played with Objective C(Apple programming language), and found i can easily port my C/C++ apps to Mac. Ive also been playing with OpenGL, and its really awsome, i would use it to create my 3d graphics engine, but i do know alot of algebra\calculus, so that i could easily create a 3d engine, but i do need a way to open a 3ds file. I will play around with java to get used to object-orianted languages. Would you know anyway to create a 2d physics engine? :S

Salavoir55
28th December 2009, 4:18 PM
^That is so...AWESOME!!! I don't know how to create a 2d physics engine, but if you need to know the physics needed to make one, I might be able to help! :S Anways, I've heard about dual booting a computer before. Could one of you explain how?

solovino
29th December 2009, 9:17 PM
Oh gods Nim! I once programmed it in Gwbasic as well. I have the slight idea that a game programming book was published that used that exact same sample: Nim in GWBasic. Does anyone ever remember reading a BASIC sample for "Adventure in the Castle"?

Also, I'm taking C++ again, with emphasis on WxWidgets and Boost C++; unfortunately, my summer Python programming course will have to wait, since there are not enough applicants. In the meantime, I'll dedicate myself to remember some basic things about ATL.

Pokemon_Veteran
29th December 2009, 10:46 PM
I have done a triple boot of Window Vista, Windows XP, and Linux before. It is more so time consuming than hard. Also, if you have a small hard drive, don't do it as you will need to partition it. As for me, my two 500GB hard drives could possibly be able to do an octo boot(not sure what you call it as it isn't practical with 8 operating systems).

By the way do you know which operating systems you are going to use for the dual boot? This process varies depending on the first OS that is installed. I'll be back with more information later.

The code sharing site is going to be down for a while. I'll let you all know when I get it back up.

Salavoir55
31st December 2009, 9:01 PM
Well, I wasn't going to dual boot anything just yet, since I don't own any computers. But I thought it might be a good thing to learn for the future. I'd probably dual boot a Windows and a Mac operating system, if I was going to do it. The computer I'm using has a 147 GB hard drive and another one I use has a 250 GB hard drive.

We don't have any operating systems besides Windows Vista and Windos XP, so those would be the first ones installed (one has Vista and the other comp has XP installed).

@ solovino: haha, really now? I wouldn't be surprised if that book was turned into the thing I read online xp! Also, no, I haven't heard of the "Adventure in the Castle."

Jackintosh
31st December 2009, 10:35 PM
Well, i've dual(thinking about going quad) booted my lappy, and, With WinXP, and ubuntu 9.10. Anyway, i've been working on opengl, physics look pretty easy. I'm going to probably wait on the physics engine, hold that off for a week or 2, so i can experiment with opengl.

Pokemon_Veteran
1st January 2010, 6:11 AM
Happy New Year!

Well, I am getting back to work on my project. I started the project about a year ago and it is starting to take shape. It is a software library to simplify the development of Windows applications. I am taking it nice and slow however.

Speaking of OpenGL, have you tried doing it fullscreen? I have, but make sure you have a way to close out of it though.

Salavoir55
14th January 2010, 8:26 PM
I finally got myself a book on (X)HTML and CSS. Not much happening other than that. I'm consideirng programming a tourney matcher just for the fun of it, but I'll need to brush up on random number generation and need to learn a bit more C++ to make a working, albeit not pretty-looking, version.

I also found out that the calculator at libelldra is fine. I made the mistake of assuming that the floor function was commutative, and because of the different mathematics of multiple nested floor functions (such as in the damage formula), the so-called idea of "defensive potential" is not as accurate as thought rather than the calculator being wrong about Life Orb.

Pokemon_Veteran
15th January 2010, 10:22 PM
My project WinLib is proving to be quite a powerful DLL. A key feature to take note of is that it has a function for converting double to a string and another to convert a string to a double. It took me several days to get both of those functions working properly and now they work.

I created a Fahrenheit to Celsius converter to test the two functions and they work.
Since the primary site is down, I have placed the project to

http://winlib.sourceforge.net/

I'd suggest you check it out.

Dr. Ste
16th January 2010, 6:40 PM
I have a tricky problem. I want to create 3D bitmaps of two-variable function graphs. I have two ideas:
-Have three pictures of the surface in slightly different angles, the two red-cyan filtered, so that they can be viewed from red-blue glasses.
-Have two pictures of the surface in different angles and put them side by side, for stereoscopy.

I think I can do the "different angle" part mathematically. My pixels are rgb, so I guess I can filter red, but I'm not sure about cyan (what is cyan?). What angles should I use? And how should I draw the surface in the first place (how does "grid" work)?

I would be grateful for any way you can help, any knowledge you share, any suggestion you make.

Salavoir55
19th January 2010, 12:08 AM
hmm, that is tricky. I don't think I can help with this, though I did use to know how red/blue filtering worked.

Cyan is a kind of blue, so I'd think you would be able to filter it as though it were "standard blue" (just making up a name since I don't know what "standard blue" would be) I'm not the best with graphics, but I would think that any standard graphics software would work? I honestly can't help anymore than that, haha, sorry! However, I bet Wikipedia could help as far as what angles to use for the red/blue filtering, which just leaves your last question unanswered.

Edit: I took a cursory glance through the program, Pokemon Veteran. I'll have to check it out some more later (which includes downloading of course!). It looks very useful!

Edit 2: Just looked up what cyan is. It is a greenish-blue.

Pokemon_Veteran
25th January 2010, 8:00 PM
As for my WinLib project, I am doing some code optimization on it. Also, I am beginning to write documentation on it as well.

Also, has anyone seen otaku-dono lately? He hasn't posted for a few months and risks losing membership.

Salavoir55
27th January 2010, 8:51 PM
He mainly hangs out at CRMT now, though I would guess Smogon too. His main complaint for not posting here was that he wasn't sure what to post, iirc.

Pokemon_Veteran
3rd February 2010, 2:40 AM
In about 2 weeks this club turns 1 year old. Also this may be helpful to those who want to write faster code in C/C++. I will give two different pieces of code that give the same result. Here is the first one

double abs(double n){
return n<0?-n:n;
}

Now here's the second.

#define abs(n) n<0?-n:n

These both return the absolute value of n.
Now onto the performance or which one is faster question. It is important to know how each is compiled. The first one is compiled once and each time it is used, the program has to jump from its current location to the function's location and then back.
However the second example code is compiled at the spot where called each time called, thus improving performance since it doesn't have to jump to a particular location to use the code. Also declaring double abs(n) as inline double abs(n) would have the same effect.

Also the reason I haven't posted earlier was so that I could legally bump this club.
Again February 16 marks this club's first birthday.

Salavoir55
9th February 2010, 9:04 PM
Finally downloaded your program. Hopefully, I'll get some time to play around with it a little soon.

Here's an interesting article on AI that I read a while back: http://www.foresight.org/nanodot/?p=3728

Jackintosh
9th February 2010, 9:29 PM
Just came back from vacation, Anyway, Ive been looking to create a "Game", But, i just dont have too much knowledge of loading a 3ds\obj file...And, i need to use an AI engine to bot the creatures around...I recall finding a tutorial of 3ds\obj file loading with C\C++. So, i thought about first creating the graphics engine, studying algorithms, and looking at source code, so that maybe in around a month, i will have successfully created a simple 3d engine, allowing at least some physics, I will need others to help optimize code when i am done, and i will need alot of source code to do that.

Pokemon_Veteran
16th February 2010, 12:36 AM
Shortly after this post The Computer Programmers Club turns one full year old. February 16th, 2009 is the day this club started.

As of now, I working on a Pokemon TCG simulator. The simulator is fully dependant on my biggest project WinLib. Serebii has given me permission to use the Cardex images for it making the graphic part much easier for when the time comes.
I have created two C++ macros for dealing with bits.

#define SETBIT(val,data,bit) (data)^((val&#37;2) << bit)
#define GETBIT(data,bit) (data >> bit) % 2

I am currently short on time, but I am very certain these macros will be very helpful to you. I'll explain how they work later.

solovino
16th February 2010, 4:56 AM
I have created two C++ macros for dealing with bits.

#define SETBIT(val,data,bit) (data)^((val%2) << bit)
#define GETBIT(data,bit) (data >> bit) % 2

I am currently short on time, but I am very certain these macros will be very helpful to you. I'll explain how they work later.

Since you are busy and I bored I hope you can appreciate me jumping at the opportunity to help a little bit.

GETBIT returns the value of the bit at the bit'th position of data; for example, if data is (33) and bit is (4), GETBIT(33, 4) returns (0) (the 5th bit since bits are counted from 0 upwards) and if bit is (5), GETBIT(33, 5) returns (1).

All thanks to the fact that in a computer, at least in a C program, information is represented in binary form:

33 = 0x 0010 0001
7654 3210 <-- bit'th position
leftmost rightmost bit values

The code simply works by right-shifting the data bit positions, so that the first (bit+1) positions are discarded and position (bit) becomes position (0). With this, the modulo-2 operation (% 2) simply returns the remainder when divided by 2, which since in binary it equals the rightmost position of the bit-form representation, will return the 0 or 1 in the rightmost position (which is now the (bit)'th position we want).

SETBIT is a more complicated structure. It sets data's bit'th position to val, or more precisely val's rightmost bit value (either 0 or 1). The magic is done by taking advantage of the XOR (^) binary operator, which operates as a "bitmask".

Seeing the code above and the earlier macros, PokemonHero, I think this is a good chance to highlight something that you mentioned earlier. Both macros above are all fine and dandy, but require important care when being used and thus must be properly documented. In particular, they will fail silently and generate erroneous code if for some reason a non-integral data type (that is: not a number) or an expression to be calculated are passed as parameters, in particular with setbit. Macros can't check that their arguments have the right structure nor generate the right code, and that's difficult to debug if you don't have the experience. In the case of SETBIT at least, I'd rather go with an inline function:

inline bool SETBIT (int& data, int val, unsigned int bit) {
val%= 2; // takes care of the parity by translating number to 0 or 1
if (bit < sizeof(int) ) return false; // nothing can be actually done here
data^= (val << bit); // does the actual work...
return true;
}

Most of the macros don't need that much care, anyways, I just wanted to mention that there are cases and cases. As you mention, PokemonHero, macros and inline functions have pretty much the same effects, however there is always a tradeoff: with macros you guarantee the replacement (and thus the optimization) but lose safeness and correctness; with inline functions you ensure correctness and sometimes safeness, but you can not longer guarantee the optimization.

In the case above, the function version will take care that you don't try weird things with it like setting the 108th bit of a 32-bit integer, and will also (by design) prevent cases where you try to set the bit of an unevaluated or unstored expression (which will cause weird no-ops and return values for functions with the macro version).

All of the other macros are kinda well left as macros, although I'd take care with GETBIT to further parenthize the instruction:

#define GETBIT(data,bit) ((data >> bit) % 2)

The parashift C++ faq (http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/inline-functions.html#faq-9.5) has a good section about the use, misuse and abuse of macros

Salavoir55
24th February 2010, 12:48 AM
oooh, I've got to make some time to read that wonderful post of yours, solovino! Anyway, I don't have much to say except that I played around with CSS on zetaboards and modified the theme to a forum a while back. CSS is surprisingly...easy--or at least when connected with zetaboards and modifying a theme that is already in place! xp

solovino
24th February 2010, 2:07 AM
CSS? A good thing that you found it to be "easy", Salavoir55.

As a declarative markup language, CSS is a pretty powerful tool. It is limited in some senses because of its semantics: for example, while you can say "apply this rule to all <a> elements that are children of the <h2> element with title 'External links'", you can not say "apply this rule to the <h2> element that is parent whose links begin with 'http://' (ie.: are external)".

It is also a shame that, for all the advance that CSS 2.1 has brought (and CSS3 promises to bring), there are still... ahem... certain browsers that will do everything wrong and cause honest and decent developers trouble. I solved the issue by officially dropping support for IE in all my sites and developments (as part of my TOS, actually) and instantly pointing IE visitors to another browser's download page. If only more people were so brave...

Now, one thing about CSS is its declarative power -- not only it can be used to stylize (X)HTML and thus webpages, but also some of its properties have been taken advantage of in order to stylize almost anything that has a regular hierarchical structure. Search "CSS zebra tables" for some fun. Oh, also, to my mind comes that two years ago Mozilla and Opera Software were working on demos where they use CSS to stylize SVG, and another tool that someone created called "s5" or something, that converts a webpage into a Powerpoint-like presentation cutely stylized with CSS and managed at runtime with Javascript.

Recalling those tidbits of information has sprung my curiosity again. I'll go check how are those projects going.

PD: I hadn't noticed, there is a compile-time error in my inline function above! It didn't return a value for the no-op case. Correcting. :D

Pokemon_Veteran
24th February 2010, 2:57 AM
I have a few announcements regarding the club and most them are big changes.

Code Sharing Site Feature
The code sharing site will be put online again in two phases. Site back online! http://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/

Member Update
1. zapper22001 - new Learner
2. otaku-dono - removed but welcome back anytime

Club Projects Section
1. Pokemon Damage Calculator

The Club Project Section is for us to work on programming projects together and is the sole reason I am relaunching the code sharing site. Ideas for other club projects are welcome.

I'll update the first post with more information.

Hopefully these changes should give the club a little more life in terms of activity

zapper22001
25th February 2010, 7:25 PM
I guess I should say hello. I'm a new learner and am working on/learning how to make a damage calculator. idk what else to post here. =/

Dr. Ste
26th February 2010, 6:16 AM
So you guys actually like free software? Wow. What a bunch of inconsiderate pirates.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/opensource-intellectual-property

"The Indonesian government's policy... simply weakens the software industry and undermines its long-term competitiveness by creating an artificial preference for companies offering open source software and related services, even as it denies many legitimate companies access to the government market.
Rather than fostering a system that will allow users to benefit from the best solution available in the market, irrespective of the development model, it encourages a mindset that does not give due consideration to the value to intellectual creations.
As such, it fails to build respect for intellectual property rights and also limits the ability of government or public-sector customers (e.g., State-owned enterprise) to choose the best solutions.
FOSS? It's because of you that the industry is dwindling. I pay hundreds of $ to achieve less in portability and configuration, and feel proud about it.

Salavoir55
2nd March 2010, 8:12 PM
huh, I'm not sure what you're getting at Dr. Ste. I hardly would consider myself a "pirate," and I doubt anyone else here would too. There is obviously something you know that we (or I, at least) are not aware of (or a misunderstanding). Do you mind expounding some more because I'm still confused after your last post, even after reading the article? What specifically made you bring that accusation against us?

Dr. Ste
3rd March 2010, 1:08 PM
I was being sarcastic. What happens these days in the world of computers is unbelievable. According to the article, free software is now considered unethical to favour, and equivalent to piracy. That's what the richest protectors of free market and productive competition claim, at least.

Lucas666
3rd March 2010, 4:34 PM
I would like to join as a learner, I wish to learn Javascript.

Salavoir55
3rd March 2010, 9:10 PM
I was being sarcastic. What happens these days in the world of computers is unbelievable. According to the article, free software is now considered unethical to favour, and equivalent to piracy. That's what the richest protectors of free market and productive competition claim, at least.
Remind me to purchase an upgrade to my sarcasm detector to make it more sensitive xD. Oh wait. I'll just dowload it for free! =p

Anway, I don't see anything wrong with it really, and I'm a strong supporter of capitalism. I think you summed it up nicely with the word "unbelievable." 0_0

I would like to join as a learner, I wish to learn Javascript.
Hi, Lucas! Welcome to the club! My expertise in javascript is rather....thin, but I'm sure Pokemon Veteran will be along soon enough to help get you started!

Edit:
Ideas for other club projects are welcome.
This is a really good idea. I was going to suggest we start doing club projects, and I'm glad it's a possible reality now! I don't have any ideas right now, and I don't think I can help much with our current project because of a lack of time and lack of knowledge of Python (which was the language you had thought best to program it in?).

Pokemon_Veteran
4th March 2010, 4:50 AM
Lucas666, I haven't used JavaScript in a while, however, it is real easy to learn so I'll give myself a quick refresh on it. Also, I will assume you know some basic html as JavaScript is primarily used with html in web pages.

Also regarding the damage calculator project, I will do both a Python and C++ version. The C++ version will work on Windows, while the Python version will work on any OS with Python installed to solve any compatibility issues. Regarding this project, an icon would be nice to give it some style.

Also, I have decided to do away with the inactivity rule as it makes me feel like a tyrant

zapper22001
6th March 2010, 9:06 PM
Regarding this project, an icon would be nice to give it some style.

Hmm, the letters "bld" written in some sort of script would look pretty nice, those using letters is rather unappealing. Maybe an image of Brock's head shown here: http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu44/KebabsWithSalid/brockimage.png. This is the image used for the forums so it should work well as it will be recognizable with the actual forums. A color scheme that could work out well with this would be brown, green, and gray as they work well with the image provided. Thoughts?

Pokemon_Veteran
11th March 2010, 11:42 PM
Alright, I'll use that icon, though I will need to modify it for use in the program. I have been real busy lately so the project is still in the planning phase.

Salavoir55
21st March 2010, 5:07 PM
You're not the only one who is busy. >.> I have not had any time to program at all. On the upside, I will hopefully be taking a computer science course through a virtual school once "real" school is over, so hopefully I should be able to help more with this kind of stuff fairly near in the future.

Also, entertaining game someone showed me: http://superobamaworld.com I can't believe someone had the time to program it, but it's amazing to think how far computer programming has progressed when someone can "quickly" make something like that and put it on the internet.

Pokemon_Veteran
28th March 2010, 10:27 PM
I have decided to discontinue the simple damage calculator project as I have something better planned. This new project when done will have these features

PokeDex
AttackDex
damage calculator
stat calculator
in-battle stat guesser

The in-battle stat guesser will be the most noteable feature since it will actually accurately guess, for say a Pokemon you haven't caught yet Attack, SpAtk, Defense, and SpDef stats.

I hope to have a prototype pretty soon. The prototype will require you to look up the information as it won't be programmed in. The final version will have that data in it.

Any ideas for a good name? The current name I have for it is MasterDex

Lucas666
28th March 2010, 11:32 PM
How 'bout these?

Prototype=GreatDex
Beta=UltraDex
Complete=MasterDex

Of course the names are inspired by the standard PokeBalls. Maybe MultiDex?

Pokemon_Veteran
29th March 2010, 11:33 PM
MultiDex sounds good to me. The prototype won't be easy to use since it is just for making sure the features will work correctly code wise.
I should let you all know that I am grateful to Serebii who gave me permission to use the information from his site and Dragonfree for the Pokemon Sprites that will most likely be used in the final version.

Well, I think I'll use the name MultiDex.

Dr. Ste
13th April 2010, 9:01 PM
Currently getting into the depths of C and OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AWESOME HOLY COW THEY WERE SO RIGHT GOD'S IT'S GOD'S PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE THEY WERE SO RIGHT OMFG!!!!!!!!

Pokemon_Veteran
19th April 2010, 11:27 PM
I have had no computer access for the past 9 or so days and had difficulty accessing these forums for the 3 days prior to the past 9 days. But those problems are, thank God, over. I will be getting back to work pretty soon.

Jackintosh
27th April 2010, 6:27 PM
I've been inactive for...god knows how long, anyway, i am going to look at a few C\C++ programming courses, and, a java course(i forgot why i wanted to take this java course, but its embeddable :3)...

-- Jackintosh

Pokemon_Veteran
5th May 2010, 6:21 AM
I am shifting focus from the damage calculator project, I am not abandoning the project, just shifting focus to a newer project. The newer project is not Pokemon related. This newer project is an electronic circuit design simulator.

This electronic circuit design simulator will allow you to build a virtual electronic circuit and test it on your computer before you actually build it. The reason I am doing this is because I have pretty much have had enough soldering together a project and it not working.

So right now, I consider a project that can save me (and others) time and money more important than a project that doesn't guarantee you'll win a battle.

zapper22001
6th May 2010, 2:03 AM
That's fine with me.

I've been looking for some books on C/C++ programming as well as Python. I've skimmed through most of them, but haven't bought any.

Anyone reccomend a certain title?

Dr. Ste
7th May 2010, 4:54 PM
Club, I am asking for your help on a project. In a very specific way. Details on my signature.

Anyone reccomend a certain title?
Level of knowledge/experience?

Salavoir55
7th May 2010, 10:00 PM
^Sure thing. Glad to help! I haven't played battleships in a while though, lol.

Also, consider me pretty much gone from this club for a while still. I have a couple of tests to take in a couple of days for which I still haven't learned all the material.

zapper22001
8th May 2010, 12:48 AM
Level of knowledge/experience?

Pretty low. The most I know is from what Sala has given me in the form of guides on CSS which isn't really related so basically none.

Also, I would also like to advise this club on my probably inactivity. Like Sala, the end of the year has finals and I still have to do all this stuff for my high school because I'm not going to the local high school so free time will be minimal. =/

Dr. Ste
9th May 2010, 7:47 PM
Some free on the internet recommendations:

A Byte of Python
The official Python tutorial (perhaps more advanced)
Dive Into Python (creates experts)

For C I use "The C Book", though you should have some knowledge for it.

And, of course, Structure and Implementation of Computer Programs.

zapper22001
11th May 2010, 3:15 AM
Thanks Dr. Ste.

I'll look at those if I have time.

btw did a survey on the battleship thing. I think it would really help if you had the ships and the number of space for each ship on the main survey page instead of on that error page. I blanked out when I couldn't remember all of the ships and didn't know what to do. I eventually pressed submit and came to the helpful error page, but...still.

Dr. Ste
11th May 2010, 4:49 PM
Thanks Dr. Ste.

I'll look at those if I have time.

btw did a survey on the battleship thing. I think it would really help if you had the ships and the number of space for each ship on the main survey page instead of on that error page. I blanked out when I couldn't remember all of the ships and didn't know what to do. I eventually pressed submit and came to the helpful error page, but...still.

Haha, some people shouldn't be allowed to make websites, eh? I thought the "Rules" list was enough, but I guess I thought too much on my brain (which knows how to play battleships).

Really, really thanks for your contribution.

Also, thank you Salavoir.

On another note, did most of the club announce possible inacivity lately? Not good...

Pokemon_Veteran
11th May 2010, 5:59 PM
For a C++ tutorial, this is good one, http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/(I still use it as reference). It covers almost everything you would want to know about the syntax of C++, but since syntax and API(Applied Programming Interface) are completely different, it doesn't do much good without documentation on an API.

A complete documentation of the Windows API can be found here,MSDN (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx). To tell the truth, if that API reference were to disappear, my skills for programming on Windows will be severely crippled, since these are references I have used intensively.

On to a different topic, I would like you to look at this C++ code

#ifdef TARGET_x64
typedef long long Int;
typedef unsigned long long OS_Bit;
#elif TARGET_x32
typedef long Int;
typedef unsigned long OS_Bit;
#elif TARGET_x16
typedef short Int;
typedef unsigned short OS_Bit;
#elif TARGET_x8
typedef unsigned char OS_Bit;
typedef char Int;
#else
typedef long Int;
typedef unsigned long OS_Bit;
#endif

typedef bool Bit;
typedef unsigned char Bit8;
typedef unsigned short Bit16;
typedef unsigned long Bit32;
typedef unsigned long long Bit64;

typedef signed char Int8;
typedef signed short Int16;
typedef signed long Int32;
typedef signed long long Int64;

inline Int GetBit(OS_Bit address, Int bit) { return (*(OS_Bit*) ((address + bit / 8))) >> (bit % 8 % 2); }

inline void SetBit(OS_Bit address, Int bit, Bit8 val) { (*((Bit8*) ((OS_Bit) address + bit / 8))) = (*((Bit8*) (address + bit / 8)))^((val % 2) << (bit % 8)); }

inline void ZeroMem(OS_Bit address, int size) { for (int x = 0; x < size; x++) (*((Bit8*) (address + x))) = (Bit8) 0x00; }

inline void SetMem(OS_Bit address, Bit8 val, Int size) { for (int x = 0; x < size; x++) (*((Bit8*) ((OS_Bit) address + x))) = val; }

inline void CopyMem(OS_Bit srcAddress, OS_Bit destAddress, int size) {for (int x = 0; x != (size < 0 ? -size : size); x++) (*((Bit8*) ((OS_Bit) (destAddress + x)))) = (*(Bit8*) (srcAddress + x));}

These are all functions I created that can manipulate memory, both directly and indirectly. In C/C++, variables are actually a pointer to a specific location in memory which is an integer. One of the simplest ways to get this location is with operator &. For pointers and arrays, you simply need to typecast to an unsigned integer to get this location. Also, these functions require that you typecast to an unsigned integer

Here is a demonstration of these functions

char* var_a = "varA"; //var_a is a pointer
char var_b='\0'; //var_b is a simple char data type
char var_c[4]="varC"; //var_c is an array
struct{long a;short b;char c;}var_d; //var_d is a 7 byte structure

//set all of var_d to 0
ZeroMem((OS_Bit)&var_d, sizeof(var_d));

//Set var_b to '0'(0x30) from '\0'(0x00)
SetMem((OS_Bit)&var_b,'0',1);

//Copy var_a to var_c
CopyMem(*var_a, *var_c, 4);

Well, I think this post should give you something to think about.

zapper22001
13th May 2010, 1:13 AM
^Cool. I'll look at it when get some time.

And pretty much everyone is inactive. It's hard for me to make time to get on everyday.

Haha, some people shouldn't be allowed to make websites, eh? I thought the "Rules" list was enough, but I guess I thought too much on my brain (which knows how to play battleships).

Didn't notice there even was a rules list. Maybe you should put it at the top?

Salavoir55
18th May 2010, 8:36 PM
Finally, FINALLY, I'll be starting my computer science course. I just need to make a phone call, and I'm all set. Unfortunately, it uses Java instead of C++, but I suppose most techniques I learn can be applied to C++.

Also, I figured out why I couldn't install netbeans. It certainly took me long enough, but it turned out that I hadn't installed a recent enough version of Java. I did this and installed netbeans fine. However, because I wanted to keep variables constant, I only installed the C++ portion of it. I attempted to install the Java plugins afterwards. Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me install it because I had installed JRE instead of JDK, which means that netbeans was running on the wrong kind of Java by default!

I installed the JDK but it still wasn't working ;_;. After hours of research, I finally figured out how to change the default by editting the netbeans.conf file from the etc. file, but it took me hours more to figure out how to actually run and edit it. It turns out that I just needed to tell it to open with Notepad and that I didn't have permission to edit it. I had to go into the properties and change the permission to allow me to "write" and then--at LAST--I was able to edit that netbeans.conf properly as the online guide at the netbeans site said and then install those Java plugins!

However, I'm still having trouble getting C++ to work properly in netbeans. I installed what I could by following the online netbeans guide, but I'm not sure if I extracted the files properly for the debugger (though Netbeans does seem to recognize that there is a debugger when I go to Tools --> Options and check the C/C++ section). Anyway, I can't seem to run previous C++ programs I made in Visual Studios through Netbeans. Any ideas why?

@zapper: I love that guide Pokemon Veteran posted. I too was working with that along with MIT's OpenCourseWare (ocw.mit.edu) (specifically this course (http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-096January--IAP--2009/CourseHome/index.htm), which also comes with practice problems/answers), and this guide from msdn.microsoft.com ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/cc305129.aspx). Of course, I still would prefer getting an actual book, but choose as you wish. You should also check the beginning pages of this club where I posted a link to a site that contains lots and lots of links to free computer programming books.

Dr. Ste
19th May 2010, 7:01 PM
Just mentioning that there was an error on http://drste.ath.cx, which was fixed. Now you may contribute your delicious strategic formations again.

As for me, I'm still on my journey to the center of C.

Salavoir55
20th May 2010, 12:59 AM
Hmm, the site is having some downtime, but I'll get to it as soon as I notice it back up again!

Pokemon_Veteran
20th May 2010, 10:58 PM
In order to compile C/C++ programs on Netbeans, you need either MinGW or Cygwin. Personally I think MinGW is the better choice as it isn't restricted like Cygwin. I'll post an a simple installer to the code sharing sitehttp://sppfprogrammers.ath.cx/ soon, and speaking of creating installers, InnoSetup is a very good one for that purpose which is open source and free of charge. I will also add some templates I created to help you get started.

Also, Microsoft Visual C++ and regular C++ are slightly different. Microsoft Visual C++ has a few extra keywords, but those differences shouldn't prevent compilation as the syntax for both is the same. I am assuming your problem in compiling C/C++ in Netbeans is one or more of these issues

1. Some microsoft specific elements of C++ is present in code
2. MinGW and MSys not installed
3. Using MinGW make, not MSys make
4. missing paths to compiler binaries of MinGW and MSys
5. paths to include files and library files missing

These are some common issues I had when I first started to use Netbeans. Well I'll update this post later with more information if no one has posted by the time I come back.

zapper22001
22nd May 2010, 2:07 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Sala, that MIT site is pretty cool and simple to use. I'll read through everything else later. Got a big math exam in a few days and the last days of the school year are generally busy so I got to make some time...

Salavoir55
22nd May 2010, 11:37 PM
OCW is awesome!

Also, submitted mah battahle ship stratageh.

And I checked through all those steps, Pokemon Veteran, and it appears that none of those are the problem. I'm not so sure about the paths and files being missing. It appears that they are not since when I go into tools --> options netbeans recognizes them in the C/C++ section (they're all up to date too). After messing with it some more, I have some more information which will probably be helpful.

First of all, I cannot open a project. The best I can do is open a file within the project folder. Whenever I try to open a project file, the dialog box will just keep bringing me through folders which I will keep clicking on and not actually open that project folder.

Next, after I open the file (which is the main part within the project--the .cpp file that is clicked on to open the project with Visual Studios), it literally opens only that file and not all the "other stuff" which appears when you open it with Visual Studios (I hope you know what I mean since you have Visual Studios too).

Finally, there is no option to debug or run the file. The "debug" and "run" options are there, but they are greyed out and unclickable ("attach debugger", "debug core file", "stack", "new breakpoint", "new watch", and "evaluate expression" are available for use). Also, when I open the source code at first, occasionally netbeans thinks there are things wrong with some of the stuff in the code such as the words 'cout' or 'cin' but that problem goes away when I retype 'cout' or 'cin' while it is opened in netbeans.

Pokemon_Veteran
29th May 2010, 7:13 PM
I will be very busy until June 20th (roughly 3 weeks). The reason being is an art and crafts show I hope to take part in and get a good chunk of change. I do enjoy doing various crafts and am quite good at them too, however, if I find time I will make posts during that time.

Also, if you are wanting to join as a programmer during the 3 weeks from this post, I would suggest you contact both Lead Programmers which are myself and Salavoir55. Also, I have approved a new member, Kat, as a Basic Programer.

zapper22001
2nd June 2010, 1:45 AM
Sorry guys. I've been really busy. And I will be going on vacation so don't expect to see me until September or late August. I'll try to see if I can read up on some C++ stuff on vacation. I should have enough time.

Pokemon_Veteran
6th June 2010, 7:21 PM
I will be doing some work on the code sharing site, so it will be down for a while.

Going back to a topic we discussed earlier on bitwise operations, I would like to make a correction to the GetBit and SetBit functions.

inline void SetBit(bool val, int data, int bit){
data = (data)^((val&#37;2) << bit)
}

inline bool GetBit(int data, int bit){
return ((data >> bit) % 2)
}

The SetBit function I have noticed appears to be a more so InvertBit function as given the same value for its arguments multiple times will just simple switch that particular bit on/off. Listed below are the updated functions, and this time, SetBit doesn't toggle. Along with a few new ones.

inline bool GetBit(Bit32 address, int bit){
return (((*((Byte*) (address + bit / 8))) >> (bit % 8)) % 2);
}

inline void SetBit(Bit32 address, int bit, bool val){
(*((Byte*)(address+bit/8)))=((~(1<<(bit%8))&(*((Byte*)(address+bit/8))))|(val<<(bit%8)));
}

inline void InvertBit(Bit32 address, int bit){
(*((Byte*)(address+bit/8)))=((*((Byte*)(address+bit/8)))^(1<<(bit % 8)));
}

These functions are also more powerful than the old ones, since they can operate on any data type by accessing it memory location. I'll be back with more information later.

Salavoir55
16th June 2010, 12:40 AM
So I had to quit my computer science course. I'm still waiting to be accepted by a different one I registered for.

Anyway, mostly posting to bump and to let you all know that zapper will probably be leaving this club (and Sppf) since he's a genius and so has lots of work to do! =D

zapper22001
21st June 2010, 1:03 AM
So I had to quit my computer science course. I'm still waiting to be accepted by a different one I registered for.

Good luck. I know you will get in. ^_^

Anyway, mostly posting to bump and to let you all know that zapper will probably be leaving this club (and Sppf) since he's a genius and so has lots of work to do! =D

Unfortunately, this is true. Tbh, high school is gonna really take up my free time because of my work load so idk what to do besides try to get some free time, but dropping stuff. Sorry guys. I knew I wasn't the most active member here.

Pokemon_Veteran
21st June 2010, 1:23 AM
The craft show has come and gone, meaning I can ease off the crafts a little and get back to programming.

More so on the lowest level of programming, called assembly, I am now officially one step closer to building a computer from basic electronic component. I am doing this because I do not completely understand how computer components work ( I do know how to use them of course), since they are made by machine, not by me.

I think I might just handout a quiz to give us something to discuss. Don't worry, it's all true or false.

1. AC travels in only one direction. (T/F)

2. Is the process of changing an electrical current from AC to DC called conversion? (T/F)

3. If you apply a forward voltage of 12v to a 5.1v Zener Diode's cathode the current will flow through(T/F)

4. A capacitor with a maximum voltage rating of 16v can never be fully charged with a constant input voltage of 6v. (T/F)

5. The NE555 timer contains 3 5k ohm resistors giving it its name. (T/F)

Kat
27th June 2010, 6:10 AM
Hi everyone. I probably should have introduced myself earlier (though I noticed Pokemon_Veteran already mentioned me), but if its not one thing, it's another, and I've barely had any time on here.

Anyway, I'm Kat, and as far as I can tell, I'm the newest member of the club. I consider myself at least somewhat capable using Java (I'm learning it in school), and am currently interested in learning Ruby, Python (mainly the basic syntax), and Visual C# (for XNA). I am currently working on several projects of my own (trying to create a game with RPG Maker XP, as well as a Java utility for users of the program, among others). I hope to have a fun and productive time here.

Also, on the subject of Netbeans, would anyone happen to know why your Java project source packages would suddenly disappear, and then reappear randomly after a few minutes?

Thanks,
-Kat

Salavoir55
28th June 2010, 3:22 AM
^Oh hi there! I don't know the answer to that off the top of my head since the course I had entered couldn't let me use netbeans, but I'll look into it for you if you want (though only if you want since my time is quite limited). =)

1. AC travels in only one direction. (T/F)

2. Is the process of changing an electrical current from AC to DC called conversion? (T/F)

3. If you apply a forward voltage of 12v to a 5.1v Zener Diode's cathode the current will flow through(T/F)

4. A capacitor with a maximum voltage rating of 16v can never be fully charged with a constant input voltage of 6v. (T/F)

5. The NE555 timer contains 3 5k ohm resistors giving it its name. (T/F)

Ooooh! Looks fun! I'll give it a go despite my knowledge being restricted to very basic E&M.

1. F
2. T
3. T
4. T
5. F

lol, guessed on a bunch of these! ^_^;

Pokemon_Veteran
28th June 2010, 10:34 PM
Salavoir55, you only answered 2 questions correctly. Let me go into further detail on the answers.

You are right on question #1, AC behaves like its full name, alternating current, as it does alternate in only two directions, forward or backward.

You are somewhat right on question #2 as it is a type of conversion, but I was looking for a specific, and changing AC to DC is called a rectification. There is a component dedicated to this purpose called a rectifier diode. Component like polarized capacitors and voltage regulators can be destroyed by reverse voltage, and it is this reason I use a diode to protect the components when a battery is put in backwards.

You are right on question #3. If you place reverse voltage on a Zener diode cathode, it will not go through unless it is high enough.

You are wrong on question #4. A capacitor is said to be fully charged when its voltage is equal to the supply voltage, the maximum voltage rating doesn't tell how much it has to charge to become full, but rather the highest voltage that can be safely applied without destroying it.

You are wrong on question #5, as the NE555 timer does get its name from it 3 5k ohm resistors.

Now that, that quiz out of the way, you may be wondering how this applies to languages like C/C++, Java, Python, and the others. About the only language that this applies to is assembly programming, or machine code. All high level languages are built on top of either assembly or another high level language. Assembly is so difficult because it takes many forms such as Z80 (what Pokemon Red and Blue were programmed in), AT89, and others. In assembly, I tend to focus on bits more so than bytes, since in assembly, bytes cannot be the value of a single input or output pin on a CPU.

Kat, I was wondering when you'd make a post, and its good to have someone has knowledge on Java, as for me, I understand most, but not all the syntax.

Well, I have to go, and come July 1st, my Internet may down temporarily due to a payment hassle.

Salavoir55
24th July 2010, 9:47 PM
Wow. Over a month has gone by! Sorry for not bumping it earlier! I've been busy with my computer programming class. Unfortunately, it is still pretty basic, but so long as I endure the boring stuff I've already learned and the boring unnecessary stuff (i.e., essays -_-) I should get to some interesting and new stuff soon. Btw, I'm trying to leave Sppf on a more permanent basis, but I would like to see this club afloat without my help. However, if it takes too much longer, I will probably just have to leave.

Jackintosh
27th July 2010, 6:55 PM
Bah. I am finally back. Been held back earlier from school(before summer), and vacation, now i'm back where i belong.

KTHXBAI

Lucas666
28th July 2010, 5:13 AM
Hey guys, had to get a new computer (Mac Mini FTW!) and will probably not be very active on here. Although I will try.

Pokemon_Veteran
29th July 2010, 4:18 PM
Finally I can legally post here again. Lately have been modifying the Windows Registry on my computer and have created a nice little environment for programming. I can now right click and create new Makefiles, C/C++ source, and Header files without the renaming hassle. Even better I can right click and build a makefile without having to open a command prompt.

If you have a Microsoft SDK installed I'd suggest you check out the registry script I made. Also, if you plan on using it, make sure you back up your registry. You may also need to modify the registry file if you are not using the latest Windows (Windows 7) or SDK version (v7.1).

Well I'll post it at http://dsgfilehost.ath.cx/ (http://dsgfilehost.ath.cx). It is in the zip file DevReg. I would suggest you only use this if you have a Microsoft SDK installed with the VC compilers, or else the Makefile context menu will not work properly. If you have Microsoft Visual Studio installed, I would recommend to not use this file.

Jackintosh
2nd August 2010, 6:08 PM
:3 Mac minis Rock, Glad to be back...I programmed a few things, not much, i got ticked at all the bugs and threw away the source.

Dr. Ste
6th August 2010, 12:05 PM
Ah, so cruel of me to be away.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to my previous project from the depths of my heart. It's not only the value of the data I collected, but it was also my first experience doing something like that.

Second, I see the club has acquired some... low-level interests. And that is really interesting. Veteran, I want you to talk about the fulfillment you get when working in Assembly and actual circuits (as opposed to, say, Python scripts).

Last, it's nice to see new members, or members with news. But it's really, really sad to see members slowly leaving...

Pokemon_Veteran
12th August 2010, 11:48 PM
Sorry for the delay, just installed two massive hard drives on my computer. I currently have around 2.27TB (and yes, I mean Terrabytes) of usable data storage, so I am pretty good on space until the drives fail (I'm guessing between 3-5 years before failure).

Away from hardware, and now onto software, here's some fun C/C++ info. The C++ keyword namespace can allow you to have functions with identical names as long as they reside in a different namespace. I am currently writing a DLL (one that never seems to get finished) and in order for me to include a standard C++ header with no conflicting name, I like to use a namespace for function names such as abs(), sin(), etc to solve conflicts when compiling, since the namespace std will not conflict with another namespace.

Well, that should help get a topic going I hope.

LegitEagle
14th August 2010, 6:20 PM
Hello everyone, i'm 15 years old and planning on doing the computer science course in college, and my older brother has graduated on it already. He tells me all the time to start learning programming, but i need help . I'll search google for some languages and programming stuff but if you guys could help me i'd appreciate. What language would you guys suggest me to learn first? some links to websites with information? Also i'll move to another forum more focused on this but i need a start here. Do you guys know any forums?

Salavoir55
14th August 2010, 11:31 PM
Hi! Welcome to the club! =)

I suggest you search the first three-four pages of this club because it has lots of links to those kinds of things you asked for. As for what language to start? Some will say to start with some sort of BASIC language--like Visual Basic. Others will suggest you start with Python or Java + BlueJ. I, however, suggest you learn C++. I don't see any reason why someone who has enough focus and patience cannot learn it as a beginning language--even though it is much more than that. If you check the last page or two, I should have linked to some extra stuff on C++ for a member named zapper22001 that I didn't link to in the first 3-4 pages of this club.

If you happen to know what language you'll be using in your computer science class, so long as it isn't something like Assembly, then I see no harm in starting to learn that language. I find that most of these courses like to use Java or Python anyway.

As for a forum for computer programming, I know of none that I can recommend. The physicsforums has computer programming sections in it, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

If you still have questions feel free to ask!

Pokemon_Veteran
15th August 2010, 11:51 PM
C++ is a good language to start with since it is similar to Java, C, and most other high level languages. From experience I can say the first language you choose will be the longest and hardest one to learn. However, once you get the idea on how the syntax works, you should pick up very quickly.

I would recommend an IDE or source code editor, especially if you have no prior programming experience. Netbeans, Scintilla, and Notepad++ are among my favorite programs for editing source code.

As Salavoir55 mentioned earlier, the first few pages of the club contain a load of resources to start with such as references and tutorials on various languages.

If you choose C++, you will need a a compiler set. VC and Mingw are good ones.

I rather not get you going too fast (took me about 6 months to write a program without a book in front of me). However, I didn't have anyone teach me when I first started, which explains the long hard 6 months of of learning syntax. Also, the code sharing site is down until I decide to put it back up.

Well, welcome to the club.

LegitEagle
16th August 2010, 7:45 PM
So i searched some links and languages and i came up with these choices:
1-I start with a very basic language or editor(like notepad++)
2-I continue learning c++
3-This is more of a question, is html a language? Because i like creating websites and i'd like to learn html, of course if its not too hard or advanced.

So, what do you guys suggest?

Salavoir55
17th August 2010, 12:24 AM
So, what do you guys suggest?
I can't speak to 1., but I can suggest you continue learning C++, especially if you've already started it. I also suggest that you get an IDE or editor for C++ if you do not have one for it already. As for 3., that's a bit tricky to answer. I do not have the technical terms to describe the difference between the two, but html, xhtml, CSS etc. are not considered to be the same as C++, Java, Python etc. While they are computer languages of sorts, they are not the same as the major programming languages. Html and co. are used mainly for web design while the rest are considered the "real" programming languages. I believe the reason for this distinction has something to do with the fact that web programming languages work by using tags while the other languages work by using statements.

So, feel free to learn html for fun if you wish, but it will not be useful in industry or education to you later unless you wish to build a website or get a job/take a class in which you have to do so. I should also mention that due to security and format issues, I suggest using xhtml over html and using xhtml in conjunction with CSS (CSS will work with how the site looks while xhtml deals with everything else pretty much). It would also be helpful to learn a scripting language like php or javascript if you wish to build websites.

LegitEagle
17th August 2010, 12:54 AM
I can't speak to 1., but I can suggest you continue learning C++, especially if you've already started it. I also suggest that you get an IDE or editor for C++ if you do not have one for it already. As for 3., that's a bit tricky to answer. I do not have the technical terms to describe the difference between the two, but html, xhtml, CSS etc. are not considered to be the same as C++, Java, Python etc. While they are computer languages of sorts, they are not the same as the major programming languages. Html and co. are used mainly for web design while the rest are considered the "real" programming languages. I believe the reason for this distinction has something to do with the fact that web programming languages work by using tags while the other languages work by using statements.

So, feel free to learn html for fun if you wish, but it will not be useful in industry or education to you later unless you wish to build a website or get a job/take a class in which you have to do so. I should also mention that due to security and format issues, I suggest using xhtml over html and using xhtml in conjunction with CSS (CSS will work with how the site looks while xhtml deals with everything else pretty much). It would also be helpful to learn a scripting language like php or javascript if you wish to build websites.
Yes i looked up on google and HTML is a markup language, and c++ and stuff is a programing language. It seems HTML is easy and i realized HTML does not belong in computer science course so i'll continue with C++(I'll still be learning HTML). Can anyone gimme some links, because the ones i found in this thread are too advanced. I want to start with simple text programming like the Hello World but a little advanced. My brother taught me "if" command and i made the multiplication table with it :)

Salavoir55
17th August 2010, 5:43 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/cc305129.aspx

Hmm, if the three guides weren't for you (the "cplusplus," MIT OCW, and the other c++ site), then that is the final recommendation I have since that's where my knowledge runs dry! ^.^; See if that works better. I don't think it has a hello world program in it, but it has something similar. I think the MIT OCW guide had a hello world program though.

Edit: Ah, yes. "Markup" and "programming" languages. Thanks for the reminder of the terms!

Pokemon_Veteran
23rd August 2010, 8:27 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting (been having serious internet issues lately).

The file WinAPI.api can be used with Scintilla text editor. If the site isn't available, try again later.

The interent issues I have been having are over, unfortunately, the website will not be active.

Salavoir55
3rd September 2010, 2:36 AM
^Oh well. =( But at least your internet issues are over.

Sorry again for the late post. It's been busy. I've finally started on programming with defined functions. I've been waiting for this because this is getting close to where what I learned on my own is insufficient. Looks fun too, since it reminds me of programming with subroutines in GW-BASIC and Visual Basic.

Pokemon_Veteran
4th September 2010, 8:27 PM
I have all Internet Server issues resolved and you can find some code I have written at dsgfilehost.ath.cx (http://dsgfilehost.ath.cx). This time the site will be active

I hopefully intend to stockpile my sample code at that site as well. Well, you should check it out.

mapache
9th September 2010, 12:49 AM
hello guys, well i guess ill apply to the club. im a little rusty in programation since i stoped doin it for about 2 year, but im getting in back, experimenting on .net
i know a few languages, turbo pascal (yeah im old...), C, C++, C#, Visual basic, Java, Javamicro, Delphi (all of them out of practice right now but i can take it back way to fast), and well im not saying im an expert on the matter but im a fast learner and im willing to help/learn around here if you take me into the group ^^

Salavoir55
9th September 2010, 9:32 PM
Hey! Welcome to the club! Feel free to do something! :) You've certainly got a lot of languages under your belt. I remember Pascal too, actually, but that's because I've seen it mentioned in a scientific context and because I've seen books on it in the bookstore. =d

mapache
10th September 2010, 2:04 AM
thank you. as i said im kinda rusty but well i've allways have this moto "Once you learn how to program, you'll never forget it" ^^

Pokemon_Veteran
12th September 2010, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the club, mapache. If you were wondering how to spell your username in Japanese, it would be まぱて hiragana or マパテ in katakana (if is japanese). I studied a little Japanese and have forgotten most of it. In the past I developed a neat program that can changes ro-maji to kana. romaji are simply the translation of Japanese characters to English characters.

Well, I specialize in C++ and Python, so if you need help there, feel free to ask. Well, since you already know some programming basics, I'll add you , as a basic programmer

As for programming, I think I might create a simple OpenGL application. Well, I post it when it has some worthwhile code to look at.

Team Carbon Boss: Roran
12th September 2010, 1:01 AM
Heh

If anyone wants a tutor PM.
I really want to teach someone. I know at least 15 languages, and I prefer web development. ASP.NET!

Salavoir55
17th September 2010, 4:18 AM
Woah! Sorry about the late response! Glad you're here, and we'll have to wait for Pokemon Veteran to decide what to do with your offer.

Pokemon_Veteran
19th September 2010, 11:59 PM
Carbon Boss since you are relatively new to the forums and since it has been over a week since you last logged in at the time of this post I will need to see some more activity before I can consider you a member and accept your offer.

As for programming, I am going back to Z80 assembly programming. Want to do some things with my graphing calculator in assembly, like grayscale graphics. Well I post back later with information on how it is working out.

Salavoir55
29th September 2010, 7:42 PM
Been trying to post here for a while. Finally got around to it. Here's a cool little function written in Python for checking whether a number received from input is a nonnegative integer. It's easily convertible to other languages. I suppose it is helpful in certain languages when programming something to do with Pokemon, especially considering that Pokemon numbers tend to be nonnegative integers. On another note, I've programmed my jump point calculator into Python.

def checkNonnegativeInteger(number, inputMessage):
""" Checks for nonnegative integer input and loops until that input is given. """
while(int(number) != number or number < 0):
if(int(number) != number):
print "Please enter an integer."
if(number < 0):
print "Please enter a nonnegative integer."
number = input("\n" + inputMessage)

return number

Pokemon_Veteran
3rd October 2010, 3:12 AM
Good function, though it can be improved in terms of both performance and safety. For starters, the built-in function input() should be replaced the raw_input() built-in function to help with safety.

input and raw_input are very different. Say the user inputs exit() and you are getting that user input via input. The program will halt right there and then exit. input is for the input of a valid python expression, anything else will cause and error or unexpected results. raw_input on the other hand just returns a string of the characters entered by the user and never causes an error or unexpected results. I would suggest you use raw_input unless you have a specific reason for using input.

Here is a revised version of the function that is safer, and smaller, and probably more efficient.

def ChkPosInt(num, inputMsg):
if str(num).strip("\t ").isdigit():
return int(num)
print "Please enter a positive integer.\n"
ChkPosInt(raw_input(inputMsg),inputMsg)

Again, in most cases, use raw_input()

Salavoir55
8th October 2010, 12:21 AM
Ah yes, that is much better. Thanks for that and the advice! Only two things. Firstly, I used input() instead of raw_input() because I only wanted numerical input. I thought raw_input() allowed alphanumeric input? But I guess it depends on what "str(num).strip("\t ").isdigit():" does. I'm guessing the .isdigit() functions like the "." properties of Visual Basic and causes the raw_input() function to gain only integer numeric input?

Secondly, it originally checked for nonnegative integers since the set of positive integers excludes zero. Does this function include zero as valid input too? Not that it matters **too** much since zero is rarely used in Pokemon stats except occasionally for IVs and EVs.

I must also say **wow**! I still have lots to learn in Python, lol! :)

Pokemon_Veteran
11th October 2010, 10:29 PM
In most cases, raw_input is best because it allows you to check for invalid input. Python unlike C/C++ makes it very easy to convert strings to other data types, like int, float, etc.

I don't know why, but for some reason I can upload a file, so just out of curiosity, I am uploading a text file with python functions for converting a string to an integer of various bases along with the previous python function I showed earlier.

Also, .strip("\t ") method just removes tabs and spaces around the argument to reduce incompatible results. It is optional.

To answer the question of whether the function accepts 0, it does since 0 is a digit and will be passed by the .isdigit() method which returns a value of true if all the characters are digits 0-9 or false if character other than digits 0-9 is found. The int() built-in function is what converts raw_input into a good integer which can be worked with. C/C++ is a different story.

Salavoir55
17th October 2010, 8:40 PM
Ohhh, I see. Thanks! That is very helpful and useful.

Pokemon_Veteran
18th October 2010, 11:20 PM
Recently, I decided to take use of the assembly capabilities of Microsoft Visual C++, called inline assembly. These assembly functions should be supported by Intel Pentium IV and later processors. I find working with strings much easier than it is in C++.

long StringLen(char* inVal){
__asm{
mov ecx, 0
lea ebx, inVal
mov esi, [ebx]
mov al, [esi + ecx]
inc ecx
cmp al, 0
jnz $-6
mov eax, ecx
}
}

unsigned long StringToInt(char* inVal){
__asm{
mov eax, 0
lea ebx, inVal
mov ecx, 0
mov esi, [ebx]
mov ebx, 10
mul ebx
mov ebx, [esi+ecx]
and ebx, 0xff
cmp ebx,0
jz $+35
cmp ebx,0x39
jg $+30
cmp ebx, 0x30
jl $+24
add eax, ebx
sub eax, 0x30
inc ecx
jmp $-49
mov ebx, 10
div ebx
}
}

I'll provide further details when I have more information and time as I have just started to implement inline assembly in Visual C/C++

Salavoir55
26th October 2010, 10:19 PM
Posting to say that I'll probably quit my computer programming class soon and continue to learn on my own with whatever (little) time I may have. Also, BUMPing.

Professor Ararararararagi
27th October 2010, 7:18 AM
Yo mind if I join? Im a learner, dont know a damn thing about programming. I know it seems stupid but id like to learn how to program so i can make pokemon hack, or perhaps start up a game project. Ill probably end up quitting after a few days but eh might as well give it a shot.

Dr. Ste
27th October 2010, 6:10 PM
Ah, it's been some time. What I'm currently working on is Internet sockets and network programming, with C. I can successfully send GET requests and fetch the page. I can handle multiple part receiving with the "Content-Length" header, but chunked transfer is giving me trouble for the time being. Dammit, Google!

@Salavoir, you were going to learn on your own either way.

@Professor Araragi, creating things is 85&#37; about determination.

27th October 2010, 6:21 PM
Determination eh?

So you're saying it will be my skills (eventually) that will break the heavens?

Sounds like fun. Cant wait to get started.

Pokemon_Veteran
30th October 2010, 1:38 AM
I am have gone back to the Pokemon Calculator project.

Also, Prof. Aragi - I will allow you to join as a learner, after your next post.

30th October 2010, 8:58 AM
Sweeeeeeeeet.

solovino
2nd November 2010, 2:40 AM
I am peeking after about 0x1a weeks of inactivity. I retook a C++ project I had as my "come back" experiment to the language -- a console utility that would take a VisualBoyAdvance savestate for the third Gen games and produce a report of the Pok&#233;mon party as well as some other useful variables, in a format that could be easily embeded in wiki-based Pok&#233;mon sites like Bulbapedia.

I've got pretty far, thanks to the data structures page at Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok&#233;mon_data_substructures_in_Generation_III) and some of the recent additions to the language (the so-called "TR1" utilities and the Boost Libraries).

Since the last time I asked what would people think of it, no one ever answered (apparently there has never ever been an interest in Gen3 savestate reporters or editors, unlike with Gen4 and its "pokesav"), I think I am going to release it sometime in the future. In the meantime I have yet to test that the program is capable of identifying to which ROM corresponds each savefile and calculate the adequate offsets for trainer info and party positions. Right now, I use an heuristic approach -- ask the user for the name and level of the first Pok&#233;mon in the party, which has some limitations.

I'm also developing a library of my own, but since the current C++ stanza seems to be "Boost already has it", I think I'll leave that one for myself. Or just abandon it.

Pokemon_Veteran
3rd November 2010, 11:05 PM
26 weeks of inactivity? Let me verify with windows calculator, yep 26. Glad to have you back and with programming news.

I have organized a 128-bit structure for storing a Pokemon's stats. This structure consists of 3 sub-structures, two of them are 48-bit, while one is 32-bit. The 32-bit sub-structure composed six 5-bit long bit fields. Nice and compact, I must say.

Bit fields are useful for saving space by using only a specified number of bits.

typedef unsigned char uInt8;
typedef unsigned long uInt32;

struct Stats{
struct{
uInt8 Speed;
uInt8 SpDef;
uInt8 SpAtk;
uInt8 Def;
uInt8 Atk;
uInt8 HP;
}Base;
struct{
uInt8 Speed;
uInt8 SpDef;
uInt8 SpAtk;
uInt8 Def;
uInt8 Atk;
uInt8 HP;
}Effort;
struct{
uInt32 Speed : 5;
uInt32 SpDef : 5;
uInt32 SpAtk : 5;
uInt32 Def : 5;
uInt32 Atk : 5;
uInt32 HP : 5;
uInt32 : 0; //alignment member
}Individual;
}Stats;

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271
11th November 2010, 12:18 AM
Hey everyone, I'm Back. Not that many will remember me, but I was a learner here back in the day. However, life got in the way, and I had to call it quits. Now I'm back as a full fledged programmer.

I have a pretty good understanding of the Python language, plus I know some C++, although its been forever since I used it. So yeah, if I can help out with anything I'll be happy to.

My current project I'm working on is a simple one. I'm making a text-based Texas Hold'em Game with the Python language. Shouldn't be too hard, once I get everything in place.

Pokemon_Veteran
12th November 2010, 1:15 PM
I am currently working on Pokemon TCG Simulator. I have recieved permission from both SkittyOnWailord and Serebii to use the Cardex card images which will make things incredibly easy once I get to that point.

Dr. Ste
16th November 2010, 6:17 PM
It's my birthday! But that's not the reason I'm posting. I've been meaning to post this:

Nice and compact

saving space

You should really read this (http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html). You'll love it.

Everyone should. I'll just suggest not skipping to the end.

Pokemon_Veteran
17th November 2010, 1:34 AM
Hmm, very good link, still reading it, nope just finished. Well, anyways, I have thought of a brilliant idea, I intend to create a program that can guess a wild pokemon's stats before you even catch it. I have created bits and pieces of it which worked. Now all I need to do is put it all together.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271
17th November 2010, 2:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with a program I'm currently doing. I have the basic Blackjack game working, but I need to get it so that when the deck runs out of cards that it get a new 52 cards and and reshuffle the deck. If you guys can know any python and can help me out I'd appreciate it. Here's the code so far:

Main Game

# Blackjack
# From 1 to 7 players compete against a dealer

import cards, games

class BJ_Card(cards.Card):
""" A Blackjack Card. """
ACE_VALUE = 1

@property
def value(self):
if self.is_face_up:
v = BJ_Card.RANKS.index(self.rank) + 1
if v > 10:
v = 10
else:
v = None
return v

class BJ_Deck(cards.Deck):
""" A Blackjack Deck. """
def populate(self):
for suit in BJ_Card.SUITS:
for rank in BJ_Card.RANKS:
self.cards.append(BJ_Card(rank, suit))

class BJ_Hand(cards.Hand):
""" A Blackjack Hand. """
def __init__(self, name):
super(BJ_Hand, self).__init__()
self.name = name

def __str__(self):
rep = self.name + ":\t" + super(BJ_Hand, self).__str__()
if self.total:
rep += "(" + str(self.total) + ")"
return rep

@property
def total(self):
# if a card in the hand has value of None, then total is None
for card in self.cards:
if not card.value:
return None

# add up card values, treat each Ace as 1
t = 0
for card in self.cards:
t += card.value

# determine if hand contains an Ace
contains_ace = False
for card in self.cards:
if card.value == BJ_Card.ACE_VALUE:
contains_ace = True

# if hand contains Ace and total is low enough, treat Ace as 11
if contains_ace and t <= 11:
# add only 10 since we've already added 1 for the Ace
t += 10

return t

def is_busted(self):
return self.total > 21

class BJ_Player(BJ_Hand):
""" A Blackjack Player. """
def is_hitting(self):
response = games.ask_yes_no("\n" + self.name + ", do you want a hit? (Y/N): ")
return response == "y"

def bust(self):
print(self.name, "busts.")
self.lose()

def lose(self):
print(self.name, "loses.")

def win(self):
print(self.name, "wins.")

def push(self):
print(self.name, "pushes.")

class BJ_Dealer(BJ_Hand):
""" A Blackjack Dealer. """
def is_hitting(self):
return self.total < 17

def bust(self):
print(self.name, "busts.")

def flip_first_card(self):
first_card = self.cards[0]
first_card.flip()

class BJ_Game(object):
""" A Blackjack Game. """
def __init__(self, names):
self.players = []
for name in names:
player = BJ_Player(name)
self.players.append(player)

self.dealer = BJ_Dealer("Dealer")

self.deck = BJ_Deck()
self.deck.populate()
self.deck.shuffle()

@property
def still_playing(self):
sp = []
for player in self.players:
if not player.is_busted():
sp.append(player)
return sp

def __additional_cards(self, player):
while not player.is_busted() and player.is_hitting():
self.deck.deal([player])
print(player)
if player.is_busted():
player.bust()

def play(self):
# deal initial 2 cards to everyone
self.deck.deal(self.players + [self.dealer], per_hand = 2)
self.dealer.flip_first_card() # hide dealer's first card
print(player)
print(self.dealer)

# deal additional cards to players
self.__additional_cards(player)

self.dealer.flip_first_card() # reveal dealer's first

if not self.still_playing:
# since all players have busted, just show the dealer's hand
print(self.dealer)
else:
# deal additional cards to dealer
print(self.dealer)
self.__additional_cards(self.dealer)

if self.dealer.is_busted():
# everyone still playing wins
for player in self.still_playing:
player.win()
else:
# compare each player still playing to dealer
for player in self.still_playing:
if player.total > self.dealer.total:
player.win()
elif player.total < self.dealer.total:
player.lose()
else:
player.push()

# remove everyone's cards
player.clear()
self.dealer.clear()

def main():
print("\t\tWelcome to Blackjack!\n")

names = []
number = games.ask_number("How many players? (1 - 7): ", low = 1, high = 8)
for i in range(number):
name = input("Enter player name: ")
names.append(name)
print()

game = BJ_Game(names)

again = None
while again != "n":
game.play()
again = games.ask_yes_no("\nDo you want to play again?: ")

main()
input("\n\nPress the enter key to exit.")

Cards Module

# Cards Module
# Basic classes for a game with playing cards

class Card(object):
""" A playing card. """
RANKS = ["A", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7",
"8", "9", "10", "J", "Q", "K"]
SUITS = ["c", "d", "h", "s"]

def __init__(self, rank, suit, face_up = True):
self.rank = rank
self.suit = suit
self.is_face_up = face_up

def __str__(self):
if self.is_face_up:
rep = self.rank + self.suit
else:
rep = "XX"
return rep

def flip(self):
self.is_face_up = not self.is_face_up

class Hand(object):
""" A hand of playing cards. """
def __init__(self):
self.cards = []

def __str__(self):
if self.cards:
rep = ""
for card in self.cards:
rep += str(card) + "\t"
else:
rep = "<empty>"
return rep

def clear(self):
self.cards = []

def add(self, card):
self.cards.append(card)

def give(self, card, other_hand):
self.cards.remove(card)
other_hand.add(card)

class Deck(Hand):
""" A deck of playing cards. """
def populate(self):
for suit in Card.SUITS:
for rank in Card.RANKS:
self.add(Card(rank, suit))

def shuffle(self):
import random
random.shuffle(self.cards)

def deal(self, hands, per_hand = 1):
for rounds in range(per_hand):
for hand in hands:
if self.cards:
top_card = self.cards[0]
self.give(top_card, hand)
else:
print("Can't continue deal. Out of cards!")

if __name__ == "__main__":
print("This is a module with classes for playing cards.")

Games Module

# Games Module

class Player(object):
""" A player for a game. """
def __init__(self, name, score = 0):
self.name = name
self.score = score

def __str__(self):
rep = self.name + ":\t" + str(self.score)
return rep

def ask_yes_no(question):
"""Ask a yes or no question."""
response = None
while response not in ("y", "n"):
response = input(question).lower()
return response

def ask_number(question, low, high):
"""Ask for a number within a range."""
response = None
while response not in range(low, high):
response = int(input(question))
return response

if __name__ == "__main__":
print("You ran this module directly (and did not 'import' it).")

Neo Duality
17th November 2010, 3:42 PM
Hey guys,

I'd like to join the club as a learner. I've recently got into C++, and even with my limited knowledge of programming it does seem quite intuitive. I've been teaching it to myself through tutorials online, and have been making swift progress over the last few days.

Pokemon_Veteran
19th November 2010, 3:31 AM
@Fire_Pokemon_Master_271 - I have some extensive knowledge in Python. Upon looking at the code, I have noticed you used input() to get user input. I'll give you some advice I have given Salavoir55 about getting user input. There are two primary input functions input() and raw_input(). input() executes the given input as Python code, therefore it can generate some undesirable program behavior, say typing in exit() will crash the program right there and then. raw_input() simply returns a string of the given input. Here's code that demonstrates the different results.

x=raw_input("Enter a Python expression:")
y=input("Enter the same Python expression:")
print "Was this your input "+ x
print "Or was this your input "+ str(y)
print "Or did you mean " +str(eval(x))+ " and " +str(y)

Try entering 3*5 for each input.
The script will print out 3*5 for the raw_input obtained value
For the input obtained value, it will print 15

raw_input is the safer of the two functions and is more end-idiot-user proof than input.

Fire_Pokemon_Master_271
19th November 2010, 11:44 AM
@Pokemon_Veteran - I know about the raw_input() function, nut I use the most recent version of Python, 3.1.2. In this version, not only is raw_input() not used, its not even defined in the database anymore. This is because they improved the input() function to do everything the raw_input function did so it no longer has this problem. It's a lot more useful. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Oh, and I figured out what I have to do to my program. It's simple enough if you stare at your screen for a good hour or so.

Pokemon_Veteran
20th November 2010, 8:24 PM
Well, guess its time for me to move past Python 2.5.2. Served me well, but as with all things tech, it quickly becomes obsolete.

Also, I will begin working Nov 29, so I may not be around as much past that date, but I'll still be around.

As a fun little side project for myself, I may optimize your Python program, yep I am that bored.

Also, Neo Duality, I'll let you join after your next post.

Neo Duality
21st November 2010, 2:31 PM
Aha, okay.

So yeah, I've mastered the basic "Hello World!" program on C++ as well as variables and basic I/O. Not sure what to do next, so can anyone suggest a few throw-away programs I can make to practice?

Pokemon_Veteran
25th November 2010, 4:49 PM
I wish Serebii would tweak the forums a little to help reduce server lag. Its unbearable lately and keeps me away.

Neo Duality, perhaps you can create a StringToInt() function. That task is sure to keep you a little busy. I have created one before, the first time around it requires some thinking. Or maybe you can create a random number generator with the system time as a base.

I'll give you psuedo code for the StringToInt() function.

integer function StringToInt(str)
var out = 0
var index = 0
while str[index]!=0
out = out * 10 +(str[index] - 48)
index = index + 1
return out

Could you possibly turn that pseudo code function into a c++ function? Some modification may be needed, since I just wrote the pseudo code from memory without testing.

Salavoir55
28th December 2010, 1:56 AM
Finished my class. I have little time for learning programming right now. I'll see what I can do though. I'm definitely going to read that link.

solovino
7th January 2011, 6:05 AM
@Neo: If you are starting with C++ and you want to get "practice", a good way to get a quick grasp of C++ concepts is to write some throw-away programs to test the basics of containers. The usual stuff, like reading ten integers and calculating the minimum and maximum, or adding them all together. You'll quickly get a notion of what exactly does C++ offer to help you roll your own solution, and detect some of the most common pitfalls.

In other news, found some of my old C++ from 2003, a simple set of classes to create (an engine for) text adventures. The code itself I adapted from some GWBASIC code from ~1996, which itself I adapted from code for the Commodore VIC20 BASIC circa 1986 (no, that one was NOT written by me). When I tested the latest code, it still worked (phew!) but with over nine thousand warnings because of all the things that have changed in the C++ language in ~10 years. And of course, it feels like godhood when you documented your code good enough 15 years ago that you can reuse it pretty much in a whim.

Document your code, people. Text is cheap, very good standard formats are available (I myself (ab)us Doxygen) and, in the end, for all people involved, it can only help. End shameless promoting.

And in other news, I'm going to compile those dusted pieces of my toolbox and release them to the world. Sure, I doubt anyone will need them (there's already Boost, MFC, Qt and whatnot) but it's far better than let that stuff be lost in the next disk reformatting.

Pokemon_Veteran
9th January 2011, 1:59 AM
Haven't been able to post here for a long time, last post was Nov. 25 and now around 6 weeks later, I am posting to state status and a request to all members or want be members. First, I would like to request more activity among current members, because until Salavoir55 posted, I thought this club was going to be locked.

Now onto what you want to hear. In programming, I have shifted over towards Python and now am back towards C++. I have tried Python 3.0 but I seem to prefer Python 2.5.

As for programming tips and examples, I don't have much idea on what to present due to lack current posts, other than I am currently challenging myself to program without an IDE.

I hope more posts are to shortly follow this one.

Sweet May
13th January 2011, 12:05 AM
First, I would like to request more activity among current members, because until Salavoir55 posted, I thought this club was going to be locked.
Unfortunately because Salavoir posted, the club is now closed but feel free to create a new thread for the club.