PDA

View Full Version : Making the game harder - Ingame challenges

lifesharker
19th February 2009, 10:41 PM
Hello everyone. Here I'll give a list of ways to make the games more challenging, for those of us that have completed it too many times to count anymore.

Scramble challenge- 5 people recommend you one pokemon each. Your 6th is your starter, and you use only those pokemon on your list. Found here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=218623&highlight=monotype).

Monotype challenge- You play through the game using a single type. Dual types are allowed if they have your chosen type, as are pokemon that will evolve into that type. If you can't catch one of your type before the first gym, trade or use your starter until you can- but no dragons/ghosts. Full rules and a thread here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=359187&highlight=monotype).

EASY:

No running away- Self explanitory. Never run from a wild pokemon, fight every trainer.

Gym Challenger - Only take to a Gym the same number of pokemon as a Gym leader has- how is it fair when it can be 6 on 3, for example, against Gardenia?

MEDIUM:

Speedrun: Play through the game as fast as possible. This is partly luck based, partly patience based and partly good planning. (credit to BlitzBlast).

No saving before legendaries- about as self-explanitory as it gets.

No Evolution: You aren't allowed to evolve your pokemon. (credit to ayeepryll)

HARD:

Paul style challenge - Only use pokemon with a type disadvantage against the gym leaders (eg, only Staravia and Chimchar against Roark, etc) credit to foxyman1167.

Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves. This mode can also be altered to be only not using potions, or not using hold items for example.

Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. Or, if your chosen pokemon can't be caught early in the game, trade for it; ths might actually be harder, as if you overtrain early on it won't obey you (thanks to MKFC for pointing that out). I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

Hardcore mode- Any pokemon that faints gets released. Death is permanant!

Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.) (credit to [Super-Fjord]

For scramble and monotype mode, post on the relevant thread. If you want to post your progress on any other modes, feel free to post here. if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post too and I'll probably add them to this post.

Zhanton
20th February 2009, 10:36 AM
Nice ideas. The single pokemon mode sounds fun =] I should try it ASAP.

Dawn_Hero
20th February 2009, 10:38 AM
Hard-core mode seems.... hard-core. lol. I think I might try some of these out, especially the single pokemon one. Kudos! :D

Mastadi
20th February 2009, 10:40 AM
Where's the tireless mode?

Complete the game without using a pokecenter even once :D

Zhanton
20th February 2009, 11:47 AM

Lol =] That's a good idea =]

Orton155
20th February 2009, 12:14 PM
I really like some of those, especially the gym challenger one. I think this should be a game mechanic as it would make it so much more realistic to the anime and that little bit harder. Also it would give the player a lot more strategy about them, which pokemon should I choose? etc etc.

hardcore mode - it seems very very mean, and i love my pokemon so i wouldnt use it.

But i love the creativity.

lifesharker
20th February 2009, 2:00 PM

That would be virtually impossible because of PP. Early in the game, you could catch and use new pokemon whenever you ran out of PP quite easily, but later on the gap between trainers levels and wild pokemon levels would become way too big. You can try it if you want though :).

ArmorAndonomon
20th February 2009, 2:19 PM
For EV training purposes, the no running thing might be a little annoying. xD Otherwise, I really like those ideas. : D I've done single Pokemon playthroughs before and they're a blast. xD

Pikamiki
20th February 2009, 2:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mastadi

Complete the game without using a pokecenter even once

That would be virtually impossible because of PP. Early in the game, you could catch and use new pokemon whenever you ran out of PP quite easily, but later on the gap between trainers levels and wild pokemon levels would become way too big. You can try it if you want though .
or else use hoards of leppa berries :P

Cipher Lord
20th February 2009, 2:39 PM
Hello everyone. Here I'll give a list of ways to make the games more challenging, for those of us that have completed it too many times to count anymore.

Scramble challenge- 5 people recommend you one pokemon each. Your 6th is your starter, and you use only those pokemon on your list. Found here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=218623&highlight=monotype).

Monotype challenge- You play through the game using a single type. Dual types are allowed if they have your chosen type, as are pokemon that will evolve into that type. If you can't catch one of your type before the first gym, trade or use your starter until you can- but no dragons/ghosts. Full rules and a thread here (http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=359187&highlight=monotype).

EASY:

No running away- Self explanitory. Never run from a wild pokemon, fight every trainer.

Gym Challenger - Only take to a Gym the same number of pokemon as a Gym leader has- how is it fair when it can be 6 on 3, for example, against Gardenia?

MEDIUM:

HARD:

Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves.

Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

For scramble and monotype mode, post on the relevant thread. If you want to post your progress on any other modes, feel free to post here. if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post too and I'll probably add them to this post.

These are all really good ideas. But, I have another one. How about 'Berry Only Mode'. The only things you can use that are not needed i.e. HMs, HM Slaves, et cetera, are berries. Hard... o_0

"we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it

^I ROFLed at that.

lifesharker
20th February 2009, 2:43 PM
I'm going to start hardcore mode as soon as I finish my current playthrough. Sort of dreading it, tbh :). I would've finished my current playthrough already if not for it taking so long to find a moonstone (stupid clefairy, what kind of pokemon evolves thanks to a stone anyways).

MKFC
20th February 2009, 3:04 PM
How about in single Pokémon mode, you trade for the single Pokémon you use, so the game is much harder early on, since the Pokémon won't obey if you over-train?

pokemaster001
21st February 2009, 7:01 PM
done, every game, very easy

I only really ever have a team of 3 before the main legend, so I pretty much do that too

I want to catch them, do you expect me to lose half of the legendaries for a F***ing challenge?

Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves.

no, I pretty much do that, not completely but mostly, minus the pokeballs, I can't do that, I want to "catch em all" as the first season wanted me to do

Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. Or, if your chosen pokemon can't be caught early in the game, trade for it; ths might actually be harder, as if you overtrain early on it won't obey you (thanks to MKFC for pointing that out). I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

boo, where's the variety, I'm only training two pokemon extra, not 5, besides, there's only so many early pokemon

no, I only catch pokemon once, minus shineys, and I only catch each shiney once, not doing THAT waste of time, how will I survive without my starter?

so, it's not the best ideas you have there, but they seem fun to some

I like Pokemon (...)
21st February 2009, 7:37 PM
Maybe I should try these...

I kinda did my own little version.

My friend bred 6 eggs of Pokemon I wanted to fight with. As soon as they hatched, he sent them to me to play a new game with. Pretty fun having to start with 6 level 1s. I remember battling Gardenia's level 22 Roserade with a level 14 Lucario (I ran... a lot).

Dabottle
21st February 2009, 8:30 PM
Here are some

Shiny only: (Evil) You have to only use shinies so SR for a shiny starter and run around for a month looking for others.

What ya see is what ya get:
Before you start choose *however many Pokémon you will have* routes (-1 if you are using starter) and use the first Pokémon you see on each of them.

Letter mode: Choose a letter and use only Pokémon that begin with that letter. Pokémon that will begin with that letter are fine. Like Chimchar on I You could also say the first 6 of that letter you see.
eg. Prinplup, Pachirisu, others that begin with P

Lol at the "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash"

yeminied
25th February 2009, 7:29 AM
For the letter mode. are we allowed to use say Sceptile if our chosen letter is T since it is evolved from a Treecko?

Mikaga
25th February 2009, 1:01 PM
Disappointed not to see "gender mode". Doesn't anyone remember resetting for females in Colosseum before FR and LG came out?

Anyway, yeah. Fill the dex so it shows stuff in gender/form order. I guess it's not "hard", but darned if it wouldn't take a long time.

For the letter mode. are we allowed to use say Sceptile if our chosen letter is T since it is evolved from a Treecko?
Sceptile has a T as well :D But Grovyle doesn't, if that's what you had meant.

Dabottle
25th February 2009, 10:26 PM
I meant Pokémon that begin with it which is why I said Prinplup not Empoleon.
But if you want to do it that way then do.

foxyman1167
27th February 2009, 12:28 AM
What about a 6-pokemon challenge? Basically you always have to have a full team of six pokemon. When you find a pokemon you wanna train, you just drop it for a new one. I have been doing it on FireRed, ands it's not too bad. How about combine 6-Pokemon challenge mode with hardcore mode, making it have a full team of 6, and when a pokemon faints, swap for someone else?

EDIT: RANK UP!! RANK UP!! WOOT WOOT!! WOOT WOOT!!

1,000TH POST!!

[Super_Fjord]
27th February 2009, 3:06 AM
Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)

[Ampharos]
27th February 2009, 3:36 AM
;9468834']Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)

I almost did this.
Back when I was like
Seven years old.

I wanted to redo my red file, but didn't want to restart my game and overwrite.
So.
I choose charizard and started beating the game.
I got to at least six badges. I don't think I had surf.
The battery died when I left my GBC on hoping it'd last all night.

ayeeprill
27th February 2009, 3:36 AM
One of my personal favorites is the "No Evolving" method. Basically, you keep Pokemon in the first stage of evolution. For instance, if you choose Chimchar as a starter, it stays Chimchar through the whole game. And single evolution pokemon such as Pachirisu and Dialga and Palkia aren't allowed. =)

I also enjoy the "Weak Powerhouses" challenge. I catch a couple of pokes everyone considers "weak". For instance, in Sapphire, I used Skitty; and in Diamond, I used Buneary (and never evolved it) and Pachirisu. All three of these, with some hard work, became amazing. They held their own in the E4 at levels 55-60.

ayeeprill
27th February 2009, 3:37 AM
One of my personal favorites is the "No Evolving" method. Basically, you keep Pokemon in the first stage of evolution. For instance, if you choose Chimchar as a starter, it stays Chimchar through the whole game. And single evolution pokemon such as Pachirisu and Dialga and Palkia aren't allowed. =)

I also enjoy the "Weak Powerhouses" challenge. I catch a couple of pokes everyone considers "weak". For instance, in Sapphire, I used Skitty; and in Diamond, I used Buneary (and never evolved it) and Pachirisu. All three of these, with some hard work, became amazing. They held their own in the E4 at levels 55-60.

Raichu4u
27th February 2009, 3:53 AM
Only have six pokemon throughout the game.

Or better yet,

Don't play at all.

I cant think of a name
27th February 2009, 8:00 AM
I have a friend who tried "hardcore mode" once on silver, but it didn't really matter because he never lost a single pokemon (maybe he was just lying though, he wasn't exactly what you'd call "honest").

IceEgg
27th February 2009, 6:40 PM
lol there should be a bidoof mode where you can only battle using bidoofs. lol (btw this means hm slaves are still an option, you just cant battle with them)

lifesharker
27th February 2009, 6:45 PM
lol there should be a bidoof mode where you can only battle using bidoofs. lol (btw this means hm slaves are still an option, you just cant battle with them)

My God. I think I'd shoot myself before playing that mode, I hate Bidoof with a vengance. It would be a challenge though.

Overheat Hothead
28th February 2009, 8:03 AM
I have an idea.

A mode where you cannot use moves that directly hurt the foe. You must use moves like Leech Seed, Wil-O-Wisp, and Counter to wear them down. It would use a lot of PP and probably get annoying real fast.

ChapperIce
1st March 2009, 9:25 AM
done, every game, very easy

I only really ever have a team of 3 before the main legend, so I pretty much do that too

I want to catch them, do you expect me to lose half of the legendaries for a F***ing challenge?

no, I pretty much do that, not completely but mostly, minus the pokeballs, I can't do that, I want to "catch em all" as the first season wanted me to do

boo, where's the variety, I'm only training two pokemon extra, not 5, besides, there's only so many early pokemon

no, I only catch pokemon once, minus shineys, and I only catch each shiney once, not doing THAT waste of time, how will I survive without my starter?

so, it's not the best ideas you have there, but they seem fun to some

I think you're missing the point of the challenge. It's not for your normal, relaxing, play as you would normally play game.. It's a challenge.
Stop whining about it.

I mostly do the no-evolving one now, but just because I like the way the pre-evolved forms of my pokemon look best xD; I let my eevee evolve into glaceon 'cause it's pretty, and Drifloon evolve so it could fly me around, though.

pokemaster001
1st March 2009, 6:01 PM
I think you're missing the point of the challenge. It's not for your normal, relaxing, play as you would normally play game.. It's a challenge.
Stop whining about it.

I do have challenges, the point I'm making is I'm not going to have such a hard time completing the game instead of completing the game normally, it's not like I'm just going to re-set my game and start all over again or anything. I'm saying that the challenges are too challenging for me, so stop whining about me whining about it

;9468834']Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)
PCs don't save, they show you the storage of your pokemon
where'd you get the idea PCs save for you

lifesharker
1st March 2009, 7:44 PM
PCs don't save, they show you the storage of your pokemon
where'd you get the idea PCs save for you

It's an easy mistake to make; they do save when you change box.

ralfchar
1st March 2009, 7:47 PM
PC saved @ the 1st gen games when u changed boxes... so hes not entirely wrong...

Sharks Shouldn't Fly
2nd March 2009, 1:11 AM
When I get Platinum, my challenge to myself will be to use only one type to beat the gyms and Elite 4.

lalala_machine
2nd March 2009, 3:29 AM
The birthday challenge: (warning - may require a little thinking)
Use a team based on your birth date. I was born on Feb. 19th, 1990, so my team could be something like this this.

;002;;019;;199;;090;;219;;077;
Ivysaur for the month, Rattata for the day, Slowking for the year, Shellder for the year again (variety is the spice of life), Magcargo for the month and day together, and Ponyta, because 1990 was the Year of the Horse. You could substitute your current age or a sign from the Western zodiac, too. I'm currently 19, so that would give me another Rattata, and I'm a Pisces, so I could use a fish Pokemon.

So, if your birthday was on April 26, 1989, you might end up with a team like
;004;;026;;198;;089;;426;;128;
where the Pokemon follow the previous pattern, and the Tauros means you were born under Taurus.

Cyclone
3rd March 2009, 7:02 PM
What about beating the game with only a Ditto? Or a Shedinja? Smeargle?

I do have challenges, the point I'm making is I'm not going to have such a hard time completing the game instead of completing the game normally, it's not like I'm just going to re-set my game and start all over again or anything. I'm saying that the challenges are too challenging for me, so stop whining about me whining about it

What's the point in posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add? Go away.

lifesharker
3rd March 2009, 7:12 PM
What about beating the game with only a Ditto? Or a Shedinja? Smeargle?

What's the point in posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add? Go away.

I've put a single pokemon challenge in the first post, which covers all the "use only pokemon x" challenges. They're good fun, although playing through the game with only Shedinja would be crazy! I can't even imagine trying that, major kudos to anyone who can manage it.

shadowkami
3rd March 2009, 7:13 PM
Singles Elite four run: You may only use ONE pokemon to face the elite four. No potions, revives, or heals are allowed. That can go under legendary or intermediate.

phatcat203
5th March 2009, 12:38 AM
Hmm...How about "slot mode?" Where every evolutionary stage counts as a slot, and you can only have six slots total? Like, an Infernape or anything similar would be three slots each, so you could have two stage two(second evolution) Pokemon, three "middle" Pokemon, or six unevolved Pokemon. Of course, you could mix-and-match, too, with one three-slot, one two-slot, and one one-slot Pokemon.

Also, a one-stage Pokemon's slot status depends on their overall power; i.e., Dialga/Palkia/Rayquaza/anything else in that category would be three slots, something along the lines of Heracross would be two, and Pachirisu would be one.

Best thing about this, though, is that you can personally customize it without changing the overall premise of the challenge, you can make it harder or easier on yourself as you see fit.

Respirator23
11th March 2009, 2:37 AM
Hmm...How about "slot mode?" Where every evolutionary stage counts as a slot, and you can only have six slots total? Like, an Infernape or anything similar would be three slots each, so you could have two stage two(second evolution) Pokemon, three "middle" Pokemon, or six unevolved Pokemon. Of course, you could mix-and-match, too, with one three-slot, one two-slot, and one one-slot Pokemon.

Also, a one-stage Pokemon's slot status depends on their overall power; i.e., Dialga/Palkia/Rayquaza/anything else in that category would be three slots, something along the lines of Heracross would be two, and Pachirisu would be one.

Best thing about this, though, is that you can personally customize it without changing the overall premise of the challenge, you can make it harder or easier on yourself as you see fit.

Thats is one the best ideas I've heard. In fact I think I might just try that.

zergling4pres
11th March 2009, 4:39 AM

I'm gonna do this one along with "hardcore" when I get platinum. 8D

BlackScizor
11th March 2009, 12:41 PM
Single pokemon mode sounds like a good challenge, might do it if I get platinum

andrewflame9
11th March 2009, 7:29 PM
with platinum i will do the no trade challenge.
No transfering over pokemon from my pearl game untill the E4 is beaten.

Zhanton
12th March 2009, 8:11 AM

Lolz, Weak Powerhouses. I normally use Pokemon that aren't strong anyway (I used Pachirisu, Lopunny and Drifblim for my Diamond in-game team).

That's a cool idea!

Dandy
12th March 2009, 12:19 PM
Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.) (credit to [Super-Fjord]

Love it. Haha awesome idea. Could waste quite a bit of power leaving your DS on the charger however.

You could make challenges even harder by mixing them together. Would be pretty cool.

Kurokotsu
16th March 2009, 3:34 AM
I plan on sending over some basic level 1's from my Pearl when I get Platinum, and doing Mono-type. People say Bug-types suck, I'll pwn the Elite Four with a nice party of them. Scyther, Scizor, Venomoth, Ninjask, Heracross, and Yanmega.

I think a UU challenge would be cool. Only use Pokemon in the UU tier to beat up to the Elite Four.

alenagirly
16th March 2009, 3:58 AM
this sounds awsome! im going 2 try the one where u just use one type and after just one species of pokemon never evolving it! :D i think im going 2 do fighting type and teddursa

brisngr9021
16th March 2009, 5:11 AM
I play no-running all the time. Have since Yellow. I once died because I refused to run away from a Graveler while training my Voltorb. He was the only thing in my party.
(Man I miss Yellow...my team on it OWNED!!!)

Zhanton
16th March 2009, 11:13 AM
this sounds awsome! im going 2 try the one where u just use one type and after just one species of pokemon never evolving it! :D i think im going 2 do fighting type and teddursa

The monotype challenge? I've always wanted to do that, but I'm stuck with one DS so I can't trade over eggs to a restarted game. However my brother wants to buy the DSi when it comes out (April in Australia) so yay! =]The Scramble Challenge also sounds fun, but it'd be funner if I had access to trading.

Visual
16th March 2009, 12:57 PM
Interesting. I might try "No Evolution Mode" someday. I planned to do the "Single Pokemon Challenge" before but I didn't do it. :P

How about "HM Only" mode where only HM moves can be used. Bibarel would be useful for this. ;)

Zhanton
17th March 2009, 8:14 AM
Interesting. I might try "No Evolution Mode" someday. I planned to do the "Single Pokemon Challenge" before but I didn't do it. :P

How about "HM Only" mode where only HM moves can be used. Bibarel would be useful for this. ;)

What about before you get the HMs, and what if the Pokemon can't actually learn the HMs???

Visual
17th March 2009, 9:56 AM
What about before you get the HMs, and what if the Pokemon can't actually learn the HMs???
Well, then I suppose any moves can be used until you get the first HM, then you have to keep using 1 move(or 1 HM + random move) until you get the other HMs. If a certain Pokemon can't learn HMs, then you have to find another Pokemon that can. Pokemons that can't learn HMs can't be used in the challenge.

Killer Grunt
17th March 2009, 2:00 PM
Wow sounds like some of those would be quite a challenge, i will try some but it wont be until i get platinum because im not trading every single pokemon i want to keep off my current game and onto my friends because that took us hours!

Tabby Catty
17th March 2009, 8:13 PM
I actually did a single pokemon challenge and not knowing it when I was six with a Clefairy.

Hardcore I could never do though, I get too attached too easily.

However, I made up a challenge called

"The Mono-Color Challenge" basically, you can only use pokemon of one color (yes, even shiny pokemon are included, in other words, you can't use your shiny dragonite if your color is orange, but you can if it's green.)

I have a feeling Platinum is going to be my challenge game once I do a complete run-through and trade my team to it.

And of course, who cannot forget a "theme team challenge" where you have to use the team of a pokemon anime/manga/game character I once tried that with May's team one time when playing Ruby.

Zhanton
18th March 2009, 6:34 AM
I actually did a single pokemon challenge and not knowing it when I was six with a Clefairy.

Hardcore I could never do though, I get too attached too easily.

However, I made up a challenge called

"The Mono-Color Challenge" basically, you can only use pokemon of one color (yes, even shiny pokemon are included, in other words, you can't use your shiny dragonite if your color is orange, but you can if it's green.)

I have a feeling Platinum is going to be my challenge game once I do a complete run-through and trade my team to it.

And of course, who cannot forget a "theme team challenge" where you have to use the team of a pokemon anime/manga/game character I once tried that with May's team one time when playing Ruby.

I get attached to my pokes easily too lol. The mono-colour challenge sounds cool. And the theme team challenge. I've never done many challenges, tho I really want to do some!!! And lol, you did a single-challenge with Clefairy when you were six. Hwo cute!!! xD

phatcat203
24th March 2009, 2:34 AM
Tabby, you didn't get that from pokemon-x, did you? If you didn't, still look it up, it's really good.

Virtuos
25th March 2009, 6:24 AM
how bouts no using any items like potion, burn heal, etc.

pokecenter only

lifesharker
25th March 2009, 7:00 PM
how bouts no using any items like potion, burn heal, etc.

pokecenter only

There's a very similar challenge already on the first page: "limited items mode" where you can't use any non-essential items.

Selia
26th March 2009, 11:56 AM
I have an idea. How about a "No Hold-Items mode"? You can't give your Pokemon any hold items that can affect the battle. You can only let it hold items if you are going in a Contest.(the scarves)

Or a "Gender mode". You can only use one gender of Pokemon. If you pick genderless, you can only use genderless Pokemon or if you pick male, you can only use male and in female you can only use female Pokemon. You can use the other genders as HM slaves, though.

Poke Wizard
27th March 2009, 7:47 AM
Why not try to play with no potions!

BlitzBlast
27th March 2009, 7:53 AM
You can't forget the classic 'Speedrun'.

Make it through the game under a certain amount of time.

That simple.

lifesharker
27th March 2009, 6:09 PM
Why not try to play with no potions!

There's a similar mode in the first post: "No unnecessary items", which extends the idea to all items.

You can't forget the classic 'Speedrun'.

Make it through the game under a certain amount of time.

That simple.

How did I not put this down? I'm off to edit the first post right now. Thanks. Also, as soon as I complete me current run through (ie, when I find a moon stone to evolve Clefairy and take on the E4), I'm going to do Gym challenger mode.

PokeN3rd
3rd April 2009, 12:45 AM
I like no heal games, myself. I find them challenging. Try playing a No-heal in G/S/C too. Both D/P/P and G/S/C No healers are good.

Hiboxx
5th April 2009, 1:44 AM
What About 3 Attack*Mode?

On A Team, You Can Only Use A Total of 3 attacks Per battle

Chaos Rush
5th April 2009, 2:16 AM
How about:
Overkill mode -When you enter a new route, you must catch any new Pokemon that you haven't caught yet, and you must train every single Pokemon you catch at around the same level. For instance, by the time you beat Roark, you should have your starter, a Starly, a Bidoof, a Shinx, a Budew, a Zubat, a Pachirisu, a Geodude, an Abra, an Onix, a Machop, a Cricketot, and a Psyduck. By the time you beat whatever the 8th Gym Leader's name is, you should have a whole bunch of Pokemon, and they should ALL be around Lv40-50 because you should be training EVERY SINGLE POKEMON YOU CATCH.

ungulateman
5th April 2009, 6:46 AM
Overkill mode sounds fun. I'll do it when the universe ends (i.e. Platinum comes out in Australia).

doctor worm
5th April 2009, 8:01 AM
I have two ideas (no names):

- your team has to be all one pokemon. ie: 6 ponytas. However, they can all have different moves. (medium?)

- your entire team can only have one type of move. ie: A team with all water moves. (hard) This could be adjusted to one type of move for each pokemon.

BM14murph
6th April 2009, 8:17 PM
overkill sounds real challenging lol

Melar
7th April 2009, 6:06 AM
My friends and I do what we call the Marco Polo method. We lable the first eight boxes for the first eight gyms and try to fill the boxes with pokemon before we reach that gym. Then we empty out our team spots except for our starter pokemon and without looking at the screen choose five pokemon to fill the slots and use them to fight the gyms.

I cant think of a name
7th April 2009, 7:58 AM
Overkill mode is the most boring thing I can possibly think of.

Splitzman
7th April 2009, 2:25 PM
Facing the Gym Leader with the same number of Pokemon they have I guess.

ArmorAndonomon
7th April 2009, 2:43 PM

I do that anyways. xD If I end up having to use more than that number, I just turn off the game and retry.

lifesharker
7th April 2009, 3:14 PM

Do me a favour, read the first post.

BlitzBlast
8th April 2009, 3:56 AM
You forgot this classic as well.

'Imitation' - Pick one trainer in the game. Get the same team he/she has. Clear the game. You'll probably have to trade BTW.

One example is the series of youtube videos where a player assembled Red's team and cleared the game with it.

surfer treecko
8th April 2009, 9:48 AM
Here's one:

Obsessive Compulsive

You must have 5 of every item that can be bought, and all ones found on the floor must be tossed. (Medium)

Lucario_Dragon
8th April 2009, 5:05 PM
I am going to do a solo pokemon run (riolu) and was wondering what i should do for double battles. Do i use an HM slave or what?

Eastlight
8th April 2009, 8:34 PM
I am going to do a solo pokemon run (riolu) and was wondering what i should do for double battles. Do i use an HM slave or what?

You can play 2:1 if you only hold riolu at the time (I believe it works this way). But many are ones that if you talk to them or be seen individually, you can fight in 1:1.

Lucario_Dragon
8th April 2009, 9:54 PM
Thanks Eastlight. That answers my question. Cannot wait to get started.

Eastlight
8th April 2009, 10:49 PM
Come to think of it, I think the "must 2:2 battle npcs" (little kid twins etc) will ignore you when you only have one pokemon. I think that is what happened when I was playing GS, and I'm sure it will be same in 4th gen.
Either way, you won't have any trouble advancing through the story arc with one pokemon.

lifesharker
8th April 2009, 11:18 PM
Come to think of it, I think the "must 2:2 battle npcs" (little kid twins etc) will ignore you when you only have one pokemon. I think that is what happened when I was playing GS, and I'm sure it will be same in 4th gen.
Either way, you won't have any trouble advancing through the story arc with one pokemon.

There weren't any 2v2 battles in GSC. Even the twins only used one pokemon at a time, they just always had 2 pokemon.

Lucario_Dragon
9th April 2009, 4:04 PM
Considering I'll have HM slaves with me, they will fight. I had a thought though and this is what I am going to do:
Get a pokemon with both protect and detect and switch between them both. This means that my solo pokemon will have to do the fighting and will be the only one to take damage.

Lucario_Dragon
9th April 2009, 4:06 PM
Considering I'll have HM slaves with me, they will fight. I had a thought though and this is what I am going to do:
Get a pokemon with both protect and detect and switch between them both. This means that my solo pokemon will have to do the fighting and will be the only one to take damage.

Melar
16th April 2009, 7:35 PM
I have two more ways to make the game harder. The first is to only use pokemon whose natures are hindering- it's hard to get them strong enough to beat the gym leaders but at a level where they still listen to you!

The second is to pick one nature to have your team be. I'm currently using a quirky team and I'm trying to find one last impish pokemon to re-take on the elite 4.

lifesharker
16th April 2009, 8:06 PM
I have two more ways to make the game harder. The first is to only use pokemon whose natures are hindering- it's hard to get them strong enough to beat the gym leaders but at a level where they still listen to you!

No, it isn't. Only traded pokemon won't obey you. If you can be bothered to raise a pokemon caught on your version to a ridiculous level before getting any badges (say 60), it'll still obey you regardless IIRC (not that I've ever done that, but on single pokemon runs I've had pokemon in the forties well before getting the badge that makes all pokemon up to level 50 obey you, and they still did).

Rad3n
18th April 2009, 1:27 PM
Character Solo
Time Challenge
Low Level Challenge

It doesn't get any harder than this, though I've never seen or heard of a Pokemon LLG.

theclaytonator
18th April 2009, 5:04 PM
I actually did the single-pokemon challenge on Silver with Typhlosion before I understood the method of making a team.

In the end, I had a Lv. 81 Typhlosion with these moves:

Flame Wheel
Thunderpunch
Flamethrower
EQ

Wasn't too hard, really.

You have been Claytonated

pallys retribution
22nd April 2009, 6:20 PM
Singles Elite four run: You may only use ONE pokemon to face the elite four. No potions, revives, or heals are allowed. That can go under legendary or intermediate.

i did that with a blastoise in blue, my first time playing and i was a complete noob so the concept of me training other pokemon slipped my grasp..
kept running out of pp by Lance though, only managed to complete it when my blastoise was lvl 86 lol

AyameHikaru
30th May 2009, 4:53 PM
^^ My favorite challenge when I get bored: Survivalist challenge. Pokemarts are forbidden. You have to survive off what you find on the ground/what is gifted to you, at least until you get to the pokemon league. Really makes you plan, and makes catching legendaries a paaaaaaiiiiiin. :)

O.o I like the idea of a nature challenge...

foxyman1167
30th May 2009, 5:48 PM
How about this:

Gotta train em' all!: Essentially you always have a team of 6, and as soon as you see a new pokemon, you drop one for it. Can be done in conjunction with Hardcore mode. When a pokemon faints, just swap it.

I'm doing this on my FireRed and Diamond, except I don't always swap, but I am rotating my team.

Paul style challenge: Only use pokemon with a type disadvantage against the gym leaders. EX: On my Diamond team, I have Prinplup/Bibarel/Staravia/Kadabra/Roselia, so the only pokemon I can use against Roark is Staravia, which I did actually, and won. =0 Then for Gardenia, I can only use Prinplup/Bibarel.

Moonlight_Murkrow96
2nd June 2009, 1:27 AM
I like these. They're cool. I will definitely try the one where you can't run from battles. I run a lot.

Competitive5910
2nd June 2009, 1:38 AM
Character Solo
Time Challenge
Low Level Challenge

It doesn't get any harder than this, though I've never seen or heard of a Pokemon LLG.

The single Starly challenge 20 levels below with first 4 attacks obtained No Items!. xD

On a more serious note, I would love playing the game utilizing the strategy rather than "omg im higher level than you, pwn"

20 levels below elite 4 / gym leaders sounds good, with only the 4 four attacks learned can be used. 3-5 pokes would be fun

^^ My favorite challenge when I get bored: Survivalist challenge. Pokemarts are forbidden. You have to survive off what you find on the ground/what is gifted to you, at least until you get to the pokemon league. Really makes you plan, and makes catching legendaries a paaaaaaiiiiiin. :)

O.o I like the idea of a nature challenge...

You forgot pokemon centers

To theclaytonator

0.0 I did the same thing! My typlosion is at that lv right now!!

BynineB
2nd June 2009, 1:41 AM
How about a run where a Pokemon can only use one move?
If it runs out of PP, it's basically fainted.

lifesharker
2nd June 2009, 10:28 AM
Paul style challenge: Only use pokemon with a type disadvantage against the gym leaders.

Me likey. I'll put it in the first post.

ScorpioStarmie
3rd June 2009, 12:18 AM
A challenge I did was only take one pokemon with you through battles~_~' It was pretty hard but my Starmie was pretty tough :-)

uhhh6677
3rd June 2009, 12:51 AM
Here's one. Play through with no STAB moves. Not too hard, but something that may be worth trying. Or using pokemon with natures that hinder advantages.

Pokémon Trainer Xande
22nd March 2011, 11:54 PM
Forget about my other post. I will start with something easier. I will do the two Easy challenges on PEARL.

EDIT: I will do the Paul Style battle too, for don 1t wasting my time with a very easy game.