PDA

View Full Version : Form over Function?

Calumblack
22nd February 2009, 10:37 PM
Have you ever built a team based on looks? (Especially with ingame teams)

I have, I chose Delcatty and Wigglytuff and also Bellossom which wasn't too bad, but I regret having Delcatty for the Elite 4 :(

Firehawk10590
23rd February 2009, 2:41 AM
Yes. I once built a usable OU team with only yellow pokes. It's not that hard, but it takes a very long time due to creating good EV spreads and movesets that work together.

Penguinist Trainer
23rd February 2009, 3:25 AM
Yes, I recently got a couple event pokemon, so I made a team of rare pokemon just so I could see what it looked like on battle revolution. Let's see, it included Shaymin, Phione, Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Celebi. None of them had been trained or anything, so I didn't last too long, but it was nice to see all the pokemon that I rarely use in battle.

Grorgery
23rd February 2009, 5:45 AM
Yep. I once made a team completely out of defensive-looking pokemon, like Shuckle and Clayol. But, er...Well, the downside to defensive pokemon is that they usually don't have great attacks.

Fiery_Mango
23rd February 2009, 11:25 AM
I usually make my in-game teams based on looks - usually pokemon that look "cool", such as Infernape, Luxray and Staraptor. Just a habit I've gotten into.

Azure Flame
23rd February 2009, 11:57 AM
I usually stick with Pokemon I like. And usually, from the beginning of the game till the defeat of the Elite 4, I stick with my starter, since it's usually one of my strongest.

NotChip
23rd February 2009, 12:47 PM
I always build my team around the cool Pokemon that I myself like.
It just so happens that Pokemon like Metagross and Tyranitar are powerful.

jwla
25th February 2009, 2:48 AM
I tend to use Pokémon I like. Barring that, I will choose Pokémon that I haven't used before. Like my current Diamond team. It has a Girafarig on it. She kicks butt!

EvilAzn
25th February 2009, 8:39 AM
I built a fossil team once... It didn't do so well... once I met a bullet punch metagross/lucario

ArmorAndonomon
25th February 2009, 3:17 PM
Yep.
All my competitive teams are made up of Pokemon I really like, mainly my Mono-Ground teams.
I like Pokemon that look big and bulky and not necessarily cute. Nidoking, Torterra, Hippowdon...I just think Pokemon like that are adorable, so I use them.

I think a lot of people use Pokemon that they like the designs of, not just because they're great, but because they're appealing.

shadowkami
25th February 2009, 5:31 PM
I've considered making a pure dragon team. I called it off due to ice sweeps

Volteon
25th February 2009, 6:29 PM
Nice thread, but My DP Games =)

Moving.

Blivsey
26th February 2009, 5:49 AM
In general, I only use Pokémon that I think have appealing designs. Hence why I never intend on using a Garchomp in my lifetime. UG-ly.

ayeeprill
27th February 2009, 3:49 AM
I build my team based on what looks good.

So, I don't CARE how good of a poke Garchomp is. It is UGLY. I won't use it! I'll take Mawile or Buneary instead. They're cute.

lalala_machine
28th February 2009, 11:13 PM
Yup. In fact, I'm planning on using a team of my mostly unevolved favorites for Platinum. ;162;;148;;200;;179;;087;;019;

Oh god, the Elite Four's going to be rough.

Fire Hero
1st March 2009, 12:27 AM
I use my favorites always. Its harder but its much more fun to battle with those teams.

I only beat Emerald once...and with a mono-Fire team (Wallace was laughing at me and I swept him away with Blaziken!) :P

COKTAL
1st March 2009, 1:01 AM
I usually use pokemon that don't completly look incompetent (Bidoof for example). I will look at stats, but I'll settle for a weaker pokemon if it looks cooler.

Overheat Hothead
2nd March 2009, 3:44 AM
I'm going to use Golduck, Roserade and Glalie for Platinum 'cause I think they're pretty.

I cant think of a name
3rd March 2009, 6:00 AM
I only play with pokemon that are valuable competitively (I think I'm the first person to say that).

I'm going to use Golduck, Roserade and Glalie for Platinum 'cause I think they're pretty.Glalie? I think you mean Satan's hockey mask.:)

Disaster_Lord
3rd March 2009, 11:03 PM
He... nothing do NPCowns Like my powerful 6 level 100 linnone team!, yes i love linoone!!!
And...Well pickup RULES!
My first pearl team for the E4 was: infernape, rozerade, staraptor, luxray, and milotic(Pain in the *** to caugth and evolve but i wanted one!), along with palkia...altough palkia was just there standing...dunnot know i just didnt have something else to put.
And yes glalie rules!!!
So i say i chosse by the looks and train them regarding their stats.

DemonLabRat
3rd March 2009, 11:16 PM
I'm creating one right now. so far I've got five out of seven. They are part of my eighteen, but I've always imagined these seven making a team.
Gallade
Alakazam
Scizor
Kabutops
Weavile
Lucario
Golduck

Birds of Paradise
4th March 2009, 9:17 AM
Usually I build my team based on what types I want to have, then I pick the pokemon that I like best (based on looks) for that type. Usually by the end of the game I have 1-2 of the eevee evolutions in my team.