PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic Panic! (059)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 10:44 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/059.gifVolcanic Panic!

Having lost his match at the Cinnibar Gym, Ash is upset and intends to battle again. But when Team Rocket invade the gym and cause the Volcano to go Critical, Ash & Blaine and their Charizard & Magmar must work together to stop it. Will Ash stop it and get another battle?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/indigo/059.shtml)

Discuss

Pika Hikari KT
23rd October 2004, 10:56 PM
Ahh...One of my favorite Kanto episodes, mainly cause it featured Charizard. The battle was excellent; and showing to us how strong 'Zard has become since he was a cute little Charmander. Lots of serousness and drama involved with the volcano, and whether Charizard would listen to Ash in this time of crisis. Overall; one of the best Kanto episodes that featured a battle popular with many a fan. 10/10!

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 11:01 PM
It's one of my favourite Kanto eps aswell! It's so cool and I just love the music in this ep!

Lupin
23rd October 2004, 11:44 PM
I have to say that this and the one before it is the BEST GYM BATTLE OF ALL TIME. Out of all of the gym battles that Ash has had, this one was the best.

Katsuya
23rd October 2004, 11:53 PM
One of the best battle's ever, Magmar V Charizard. Ash and Charizard's finest hour.

Ryuu
13th November 2004, 1:09 PM
I have to say that this and the one before it is the BEST GYM BATTLE OF ALL TIME. Out of all of the gym battles that Ash has had, this one was the best.

I agree with you, Lupin. :D

This was a superb gym battle, and my favourite one as well. ;D

I loved it so much I actually bought the DVD! :O

Charizard vs. Magmar was an excellent match-up, and the battle was plain freakin' awesome.

Misty is my love
24th February 2005, 10:37 PM
my favorite kanto episode and favorite battle. featuring my favorite pokemon magmar. it was a great battle and it could have been either side. and it was an awesome battle

Shikamaru
24th February 2005, 10:48 PM
One of my fav macthes of all time. Just the thought of a fight inside of a volcano is truly awsome them going above to fight was just as good.
I give it a 10/10

ChaosMage
12th March 2005, 12:38 PM
I loved the battle, but Charizard's redisobedience really ****** me off.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
12th March 2005, 2:29 PM
Honestly, I didn't like this episode much. The battle was rather short lived. Charizard's random obedience really annoys me. Sure, there was a reason, but I hated it. I thought the first battle was a lot better than this.
The only part that really caught my attention in the battle was Charizard's fall into the volcano. But, even that was pointles. Charizard has monstrous wings, it couldn't have just fallen like that unless it was on the brink of death. Plus, one Seismic Toss isn't enough to take out a Magmar, animé or ingame. The volcano scene was the redeeming aspect of this episode. That was the only really intense scene, and the only one worth a second glance at.

Overall rating:
5.9 out of 10.....
A rather disappointing Gym Battle. I far prefer the previous one over this. This battle is on par with the pity badges as one of the worst Gym battles I've seen. Then again, Kanto has a knack for crappy Gym Battles.

SC~ out

vulpix
3rd April 2005, 12:52 AM
a very good episode to me it was intense.

wobbanut
23rd August 2005, 11:46 PM
I think that this was the first really good gym battle Ash had had up until that point in the series. Although Pikachu was good against raichu in "Electric Shock Showdown" and Charmander and Bulbasaur were effective at the Fuschia City gym, this episode really set the ground work for the battles we'd see later on in Johto and Hoenn, when Ash won gym battles on his own merit using strategy and by thinking outside the box. His battle with Charizard against magmar in this episode was awesome, considering that Charizard was still being disobedient at the time and still roasted Ash at the end of the battle (at least in later days Ash's getting roasted by him was done for comical effect). It was definitely one of the great gym battles.

Team Rocket was pretty good in this episode too. Of course they caused chaos with their freeze blaster, but at least having to stop the volcano from erupting was effective in getting Charizard to eventually help out and to get the twerps' pokemon working together as a team. I also loved Jigglypuff and Psyduck's cameos. :)

SugarFairy
23rd August 2005, 11:48 PM
I totally agree with you Lupin ^_^

Blaziken master
15th September 2005, 7:28 PM
This has to be my favourite gym battle ever.It was so full of suspense and it was charizard's best fight.Magmar became a fave pokemon after this.The one thing I wonder about is that how Ash knew how charizard could use seismic toss.Saying that,charizard's seismic toss was never the same after this.The way he took magmar into the air and slammed him into the volcano.Brilliance.

Feity
20th September 2005, 3:58 AM
The best gym battle. EVER.

Aptenodytes
30th October 2005, 5:30 PM
this was the best gym battle in the entire show so far. it was fun and exciting to watch the match. charizard and magmar made a great show! 10/10

JONNO.FRESH
4th July 2006, 1:35 PM
Char and Magmar where kool and the battle over the volcano was awesome. 7/10

wobbanut
16th September 2006, 5:13 AM
Right now while I'm going through my tapes again like I do every year, I can't help thinking back to this episode and how it really made the gym battles in the series much more interesting and exciting. Up until this point, with the exception of "Electric Shock Showdown" and "The Ninja Poke-Showdown", the gym battles really... stunk. I mean, really, they weren't that great at all during the first season. I've been watching some of them the past couple of days, and I shake my head at how bad some of them were. Compared to the exciting gym battles of later years- "From Ghost to Ghost", the Clair ones, "Who's Flying Now", the official Norman one, etc.- the first season just was lackluster in its gym battles. Ash got almost all his first season gym badges WAY too easily. At least nowadays he truly earns the badges/symbols/ribbon he earns, by hard work, strategy, learning, and improvising. Gym battles and Frontier battles are much more exciting nowadays. Of course the first two Orange Island gym battles weren't that great either, but they started being pretty consistently good with "Misty Meets Her Match".

At least this episode, though, really started to show how great they can be. I may not like how Charizard acts like a jerk in the two episodes, but the matches are still amazing to watch. I'd rather watch this gym a hundred times than his battle against Sabrina, one of the cheapest wins ever.

Sorry I had to rant a bit there, I just felt like letting off some steam. At least I'm coming to his battle against Koga tomorrow.

GoggleHead
16th September 2006, 6:12 AM
This was another one of the Great Charizard Episodes. Seeing as I love Fire, I rented this Tape frequently when I was a Kid. Charizard pwns all, even Magmar!

Squirtle85
21st September 2006, 2:57 PM
What I noticed from the first season gym battles.. is that even if he won them easily he still took a lesson from them.. He learned about type compatibilities on the Pewter city gym, He learned the power of water Pokemon on the Cerulean Gym, He learned that speed could be much more effective than any Powerful electric attack on The eletric gym which I forgot the name of the darn city. He learned emphaty on Celadon, he learned about poison types on Fushia, and the final two din't really have a lesson..

About this episode, one of the best battles ever!! I was in 9th grade when i first saw this episode, and I remenber everyone talking about this battle at school.. poweful battle.

Ashy Boy
24th September 2006, 9:14 AM
The gym battle wasn't too bad and Team Rocket wasn't too nasty when they caused trouble (as always). But the only thing I didn't like was Togepi trying to help out.

WaterDragon trainer
2nd June 2007, 4:55 PM
This episode was pretty good. I found it somewhat amusing that Magmar just stood there when Team Rocket shot their ice rockets at him despite his defrosting as well as Team Rocket going ballistic trying to freeze Magmar. I find it weird how Geodude and Onix weren’t bothered by the Water Gun “cool off”. The battle between Magmar and Charizard is my second favorite Kanto gym battle (the first being the battle Ash has for the 8th badge). One reason is that I find it cool how this is the only episode (so far) where an attack (in this case, Fire Blast) is actually caught and thrown away.

Korobooshi Kojiro
2nd June 2007, 4:57 PM
I love the song that plays when they throw rocks in the Volcano, and the one during the first part of the fight.

Yeah, I love this episode. :)

Battra
3rd July 2007, 5:06 PM
Another excellent episode nice to see Ash win his 7th badge the Volcano Badge, also nice to see Charizard actually listen to Ash for once even if it was for just one battle. Also I liked that the gang had to stop the volcano from erupting and destroying the island which is exactly what happened to Cinnabar island in Gold, Silver, & Crystal.

Pika Hikari KT
7th October 2007, 8:33 AM
I may have found an interesting edit to the dub:

As some of us know, the Fire Blast attack looks like the kanji character for big. When Charizard deflected it at the start of the match, it changed to the character for medium, and then small as it got higher into the air until it eventually poofed out(accompanied by a shock type sound effect).XD If I remember right, the Fire Blast stayed the same in the dub.

EDIT: I checked, and the Fire Blast doesn't change shape...forgot to get the SFX out, though.:p

Freedom
12th February 2008, 10:12 AM
this is probably the best and most exciting gym battle in Kanto. the animation has improved a lot over season one. i felt sorry for Magmar when it did such a hard work at throwing the rocks into the lava pit and it kept exploding. i forgot how funny Charizard was when it didn't obey Ash - stuff like this wouldn't happen anymore in the anime, unfortunately.

Gravy
15th March 2008, 9:25 PM
I haven't watched this episode in years, but someone tell me; Were there any actual commands issued by either trainer during the majority of the battle? Because the most I can remember is Ash leaning over the edge of the volcano screaming 'Fly away! Get outta there!' as Pikachu tried to hold him back, and possibly a lone 'Flamethrower!' from Blaine's side. Apart from that, all I can recall is the pokémon acting on their own.

Not knocking the bout or anything, since this is one of the few Kanto battles that I feel was genuinely worthwhile, but that's something that's been bugging me for weeks now.

ZgonDuck
15th March 2008, 9:45 PM
I remeber Ash calling for Seismic Toss, most of the other commands were acted on by the Pokemon by themeselves.

Hooray4Homestar
28th April 2008, 3:05 AM
This episode didn't hold my interest very long. I got kinda bored.

Batdude
19th May 2008, 7:45 AM
Ha, I thought the lack of commands issued actually made it seem more realistic... In normal battles with Squirtle, Pikachu and the rest the battle needs to be given a sort of direction, but since Charizard and Magmar were made out to be practically adult in their mannerisms this time I think it was cool to allow them to fight it out their own way.

This just slips past Electric Shock Showdown as my favourite gym battle from back in the day, it was great stuff compared to some of the others.

pokemon fan 132
13th June 2008, 6:09 PM
I still remember the first time when i watched this episode.This was great episode and personally one of my favorites.The whole episode was exciting about saving the island from volcano eruption which caused Team Rocket,and the best part was the battle between Charizard and Magmar.One of the best ones in Kanto,and the way in which Charizard managed to deflect Magmars fire blast was brilliant to watch.I also like this episode for the fact that even if Ashs Charizard was stubborn to listen him,he made an exception in this episode because he was interested in battle against Magmar.Also this was one of the gym battles in which Ash win the badge in fair way.

(s.i.e)
19th July 2008, 12:46 PM
magmar was one of my least favorite poke's at that time, it was a good episode but i've seen better, 7/10.

Mysterous64
5th October 2008, 8:37 AM
This episode was suspence full the lava and pikachu almost falling in argh yes very strange i was worred i still occasionly watch this episode seeing i tended to tape them all

Tadashi
7th October 2008, 3:08 AM
I remember, in the previous episode, being frightfully scared that Pikachu would actually fall into the lava pit below.

I love how Charizard got his act together and battled Magmar... even if it was just to try and show off his strength ^^; Regardless, one of Ash's best Gym matches. Battling inside of - and on top of - a volcano? Nothing could beat that in terms of coolness :3

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 6:14 AM
It was a good episode and good gym battle. Pretty intense too. The Magmar Charizard battle is just awesome everytime.

Blue Snover
1st March 2009, 5:48 PM
I enjoyed the battle between Charizard and Magmar, i think Charizard found a worthy opponent.

Littlemyuu
6th March 2009, 11:55 AM
Oh i remember i just wanted to see this episode!
i even think i called myself sick from school just to see how Ash's 7th gym match would end XD

Icefiyre
11th March 2009, 10:59 PM
This episode was great because Ash's Charizard showed a good battle to Blaine's Magmar, even if it took a lot to control its behavior of disobeying him. With one Seismic Toss, Magmar was defeated and Ash won the Volcano Badge. Now having seven badges, I became psyched to see if he'd win the last badge!

Ash-kid
10th December 2009, 5:38 PM
I loved the battle between Charizard and Magmar, two strong fire pokemon.
Charizard was really strong, even after everyone thought it lost but Charizard came back and it was cool how it beat Magmar.

Lorde
12th January 2010, 5:50 PM
Ash attempts to heal Pikachu's wounds at the hot springs, it was cute to see him wash his buddy.

Loved that Meowth burned his hand while attempting to open the gym's door. Though blasting beams of ice inside a volcano was kind of dumb even for Team Rocket.

Saving the island was epic with Magmar and Charizard teaming up. The battle was the fiercest battle I've seen in early Kanto. Loved how Charizard beat Magmar. 10/10

JohnLee
15th January 2010, 8:43 PM
I love the song that plays when they throw rocks in the Volcano, and the one during the first part of the fight.

Yeah, I love this episode. :)

This episode was very exciting! It kept me on the edge of my couch the entire time! Gotta love the good ole Kanto days.

Hikari Paradise
12th July 2010, 8:23 AM
This was and still is my all-time favorite gym battle. Charizard rapes magmar with an epic seismic toss.

G50
2nd February 2011, 7:13 AM
My 2nd favorite gym battle. It was really cool seeing Charizard battle Magmar and winning! I liked how it dodged Magmar's Fire Blast attack, and survived being thrown into the lava.

60/100

Aquarelle
20th March 2011, 9:32 AM
I think this was my favourite Gym battle in Kanto. I liked how the battle was fought on the volcano because it made things seem much more intense and dramatic. I also really liked seeing Charizard`s Seismic Toss for the first time. I was also glad that Charizard listened to Ash during the battle, since I would have been really mad if it just fell asleep or something like it did in the Pokemon League. My favourite part of this episode was after the battle when Charizard burned Ash. xD

TheEpicGoomba
7th May 2011, 10:34 PM
I loved this episode. It was epic to see Charizard listen to Ash for once and to see Magmar. It was extreamly cool to see the battle at the top of the Volcano. Blaine looks compleatly different in the games. 10/10

Vernikova
17th September 2011, 8:33 PM
My second or third favorite gym battle in Kanto. It was really good since it was an actual finished battle unlike most of the other gym battles in Kanto. Having the battle on top of the volcano was pretty cool too.

MetalFlygon08
4th October 2011, 5:39 AM
If I remember, this is the 1st episode Submission was used.

It was also the last time Charizard used Submission.

Calamity™
14th October 2011, 9:21 PM
Again with taking things to the extreme. It should be against the 'Gym rules' to have to battle in areas that can cause potential death to a Pokémon, yet Blaine tells Ash that he would be disqualified as a trainer to continue battling as his Pikachu may end up in the lava... makes no sense to me. It was nice to see Charizard actually help the other Pokémon in stopping the lava flow. It was funny to see Team Rocket being so stupid in the first place to cause all that while they were in the Gym theselves. The last battle where Charizard wins was a good one, although with it being a fire type and having a burning tail, I didn't really think for a second that it actually died when it was taken under the lava. I think this whole episode teaches that Blaine needs to sort out his deadly Gym...

AquaMilotic
31st January 2012, 9:05 PM
Cool battle between Charizard and Magmar, and great that Charizard still didn't listen, even though battling Magmar.

However, fighting on a dangerous terrain which might kill Pokemon should be forbidden by law. It is dangerous, and a gym battle isn't worth the life of an innocent Pokemon who just did what his/her trainer told him/her to do.

Also good of Ash to quit in the first battle. As I said, Pikachu's life is more important than a battle and a badge.

OnceUponATime
12th February 2012, 10:44 PM
GREAT episode.Magmar and Charizard's battle was great!! I loved Onix, Geodude, Pikachu, Togepi, Magmar, and Charizard working together to put out the magma with the boulders. I liked seeing Misty's Pokemon here. Misty should have been able to star here with her Water Pokemon. Epsecially Horsea!!! It would have been better if this were the episode where Charizard started to obey Ash instead of a sad emotional episode. Even Misty said that she thought Charizard was gonna start obeying him here. I loved the gag at the end about Pikachu burning Misty's bike. XD

TheSpaceBetween2
5th June 2012, 12:56 AM
GREAT episode.Magmar and Charizard's battle was great!! I loved Onix, Geodude, Pikachu, Togepi, Magmar, and Charizard working together to put out the magma with the boulders. I liked seeing Misty's Pokemon here. Misty should have been able to star here with her Water Pokemon. Epsecially Horsea!!! It would have been better if this were the episode where Charizard started to obey Ash instead of a sad emotional episode. Even Misty said that she thought Charizard was gonna start obeying him here. I loved the gag at the end about Pikachu burning Misty's bike. XD

I know, amazed some found it boring when in both episodes there was real peril and pikachu could have been severly hurt, even more amazing is that others are saying it was a little OTT yet some people didn't enjoy it or find it exciting?

I can actually see the point about it being OTT but for those who said they were bored with it, or the guy who moaned about sismic toss (which is a powerful attack anyway) or the numerous people who couldnt understand how a fully evolved poke's fire attack managed to overcome type disadvantages, or how pikachu used rhyorns metal to conduct electricity I think it was great, it was exciting and made perfect sense. I like the element of danger in battles. He would not of died though ash would have used the pokeball to stop it falling into the lava.

Blessed
5th June 2012, 2:59 AM
A good episode, Charizard VS Magmar battling on top of the volcano was rather intense.

BurningSociety12345543210
6th June 2012, 11:28 PM
Ash gets another undeserved badge. Kanto has terrible gym battles. I've seen much better than this. Ash wins using a pokemon he can't even control, and the way he beat Rhydon was dumb and made no sense. Good job on your seventh badge, Ash. 6/10

32er
15th June 2012, 10:41 PM
Horrible episode imo, as with most other Kanto gym battles.
The Rhydon thing was retarded and would never have worked in the games. :[
4.5/10

G50
25th June 2012, 9:34 AM
This episode really displayed how much heat fire type Pokemon can take, with Charizard able to go straight into the lava and be able to come out and be almost unharmed.

7threst
2nd September 2012, 2:18 PM
Well, the battle itself was probably one of the most epic moments out of the entire Kanto saga. Just the epic feeling you get from watching Charizard fighting against Blaine's most powerful Pokémon, Magmar. But, even with this in mind, Ash's didn't really do much in winning this match. Last time I checked, Charizard was still disobedient and during the match, Charizard totally disregarded Ash's commands. Therefore, Ash didn't do anything other than representing a disobedient Charizard as its trainer.

Lucille
8th December 2012, 5:26 AM
Charizard seriously pwned Magmar

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
17th December 2012, 3:34 AM
A good episode. I did not go crazy over Charizard vs Magmar like some people did. But, that Seismic Toss was epic, I would not want to be Magmar. xD

Charizard-Fan
20th January 2013, 6:28 PM
Awesome episode. Charizard vs Magmar is my favourite battle in Kanto, and one of my favourite battles overall. This battle shows that even if most of Kanto's battles are pretty bad, even Kanto has some pearls in terms of battles.

Haunter ゴースト
20th January 2013, 6:44 PM
I recently rewatched this, Charizard vs Magmar was incredible. One of his best fights. I pray for a day we get battles like this again.

10/10.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
20th February 2013, 1:30 AM
I always remember that battle being pretty darn good, and it still is. It's amazing to think how much hype Magmar was getting back then, and how it's sidelined completely now...

DarthVader
26th May 2013, 2:52 AM
This was my favourite gym battle in the Kanto region, and possibly all the other regions. Charizard is awesome!

TheMewster
31st October 2013, 11:51 AM
Best gym battle Ash had in the Indigo League!
Charizard versus Magmar on top of a volcano?
NOW THAT'S A FIGHT!

PokemontrainerY
31st October 2013, 9:53 PM
This episode picked up where "Riddle me This!" left off. Pikachu was hurt by Magmar's fire blast, so Ash gives up the battle to challenge Blaine later. After Team Rocket's Ice blaster freezes Blaine's place....Ice on the hot rock causes a chain reaction and the volcano starts to erupt. Lave starts to flow from the Volcano, so Blaine sends out Magmar to stop the flow by throwing rocks. Ash sends out Charizard to help, but instead of helping....Charizard lazily lies down. Charizard watches Magmar and throwing the stones into flow and realizes that it's a strong Pokémon, so Charizard decides to help. After stopping the flow Ash and Blaine has an One-on-One match on the top of the volcano. Charizard manages to defeat magmar(even though it didn't listen to Ash) in the battle and Ash gets the Volcano badge. Then we see Misty raging about her stupid bike as the episode ends.

With the exception of "Electric Shock Showdown!" and "The Ninja Poke-Showdown", the gym battles in the Kanto saga were'nt good at all. Compared to the great gym battles in the episodes- "From Ghost to Ghost!", "Who's Flying Now!", "Nice Pryce, bady!(what a sucky dub title!)","Nerves of Steelix!","Balance of Power!"..... most of the first season's gym battles just was lackluster in my opinion.
As for this gym match, it's cool! I liked the battle between Charizard and Magmar. It's cool how Charizard stopped Magmar's Fire Blast with his arms and threw it in the air. Charizard spinning Magmar in the air and Seismic Tossing it was cool as well.
It's kinda disappointing that Ash got the Volcano badge by using a disobident Pokémon in the match. Charizard mostly battled on his own, he obeyed Ash for only a few times in this episode. Oh well, at least Ash got the Gym badge by defeating the Gym Leader instead of getting a pity badge. To me, this Gym battle a hundred times better than the gym battle against Sabrina, which was lame.
I didn't like how Misty was nagging about her bike at the end, she was really annoying.

Painkiller2001
7th October 2014, 6:08 AM
Dat Seismic Toss: would hate to be on the receiving end of that.

Lorde
15th November 2014, 11:37 PM
This has always been my favorite Kanto Gym battle episode. I just simply loved the one-on-one battle between Charizard and Magmar. Team Rocket's antics were funny as well; I particularly liked how Meowth was training Jessie and James at the hot springs to withstand the volcano's heat. Anyway, the volcano meltdown scenes were great.