PDA

View Full Version : Fit To Be Tide! (087)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 11:06 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/087.gifFit To Be Tide!

With his new friends, Tracey & Lapras in tow, they ride Lapras around the Orange Islands on the gym Challenge. Arriving at Maikan Island, Ash finds the first gym, but when he finds out that they arent battle orientated...Ash finds himself out of his league...can he win the Shooting Contests and the Surfing Contest to get the Coral Eye Badge?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/orange/087.shtml)

Discuss

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 5:30 PM
This was a great Gym, the first time I saw this episode I was like "Huh? Where's the battling? It's a Gym right?" but I really enjoyed watching this episode so much, it's one my favourites.
I thought it was great thinking of Ash to tell Lapras to use Ice Beam to slide to the end, lol!
Is this episode part of Season 2?

Blue,Too?
24th October 2004, 5:46 PM
Well, since the Orange League is Season 2, yes this is part of Season 2

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 6:02 PM
Aren't the Orange Islands Series 2? (not season)

I know that season 1 ends at "The Breeding Centre Secret" because Toonami bought season 2, I'm just hoping that they bought the Orange Island!!

Ororo Munroe
3rd November 2004, 7:11 PM
Cissy's gym is cool. The way Ash had to earn badges from her was great. This was a good episode.

Crystal Latios
3rd November 2004, 7:15 PM
I like this episode. Cissy is so cheeky =P Also, Tracey really likes her.
Also, battle bewteen her and Ash was great. Finally something different.

Factory Head Noland
4th November 2004, 11:40 PM
I saw this episode today and it definatly still is one of my favourites!
Squirtle was very good at knocking the cans down with it's Water Gun.
I just love the Wave Race, it was genius of Ash to tell Lapras to use Ice Beam to slide to the end of the race!
It was strange to have only 2 rounds though, usually it's 3 (incase each person wins a round).

Sharpshooter
19th November 2004, 5:08 PM
I saw this episode today and it definatly still is one of my favourites!
Squirtle was very good at knocking the cans down with it's Water Gun.
I just love the Wave Race, it was genius of Ash to tell Lapras to use Ice Beam to slide to the end of the race!
It was strange to have only 2 rounds though, usually it's 3 (incase each person wins a round).

There was three rounds, the can-shooting, the disc-shooting, and then the wave race. The only reason why the wave race occured was because both Squirtle and Seadra hit the disc at the same time, and neither lost the can-shooting contest.

Great excitement, I prefer the matches with Rudy and Danny, but nonetheless still good.

wobbanut
30th August 2005, 12:57 AM
This is probably the least interesting of all of Ash's gym battles, mostly because it seems a little odd that normally one or two little battles determines the winner, and the two pokemon don't even battle each other. At least the race on the pokemons' backs was exciting, but still I think Sissy could have a much more challenging gym. Heck, me and my pellipers on my Ruby and Sapphire games could beat her with both arms tied behind my back. At least the Orange Island gyms got more challenging as they went along.

Aptenodytes
2nd November 2005, 5:16 AM
i love this gym battle! it was great and fun to watch!

DSRGBA
15th December 2005, 1:46 PM
ash was just lucky that he has a lapras eh

Magus
24th December 2005, 10:36 PM
If he didn't have a Lapras, would Ash even have been at that Gym? It's what he rode to get there, after all.

lightspeed
1st May 2006, 10:39 AM
I like this episode; I like Lapras and Squirtle. My favourite part was the surfing race, it was so fun to watch.

Ashy Boy
24th June 2006, 11:34 AM
Great episode but there were a few things I didn't like:
- The annoying kid
- Misty's attitude towards Tracey

LuciRuki
25th June 2006, 10:29 PM
I liked how this ep was a change from the normal battling in the gyms. This episode had a great storyline. He got his badge! 8.0/10

JONNO.FRESH
15th July 2006, 10:04 AM
Love this epi mainly cause Sissy is so damn hot. 10/10 just cause of sissy

ShinyManafi
21st December 2006, 3:44 AM
Nice gym battle, Ash had to use his head, the last surfing thing was cool

Battra
15th August 2007, 3:58 PM
Excellent episode one of my favorites. I've always loved the Orange League Gyms since their not like the regular gyms were used to where the Pokemon just battling to see who wins, instead we got the Pokemon competing in contests to show off their skills. Sissy is my favorite of all the Orange Crew since she brings a bit of an attitude with her. I love the gangs reaction to Team Rockets arrival basically annoyed that their there and asking them to go away, i'm surprised they don't do that more often, also like Tracy acting abit like Brock in this episode made me laugh. Grats to Ash for winning his first Orange League Gym battle.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
1st April 2008, 8:32 PM
The Orange Island arc still remains to be my favourite season, mainly because of the gym battles. This is probably my least favourite battle of the four (Danny's being the best!), yet I still think this is a great episode!
The child, (who I believe to be Sissy's brother) was annoying though...

Anyone 4 Buttons?
1st April 2008, 8:33 PM
The Orange Island arc still remains to be my favourite season, mainly because of the gym battles. This is probably my least favourite battle of the four (Danny's being the best!), yet I still think this is a great episode!
The child, (who I believe to be Sissy's brother) was annoying though...

(s.i.e)
5th July 2008, 4:39 PM
i love to watch gym battles in the episodes, they are very exciting.

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 8:05 AM
This is one of the most boring gym battles :/ The surfing race was alright but that's it. I mean shooting cans? Just unexciting.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 3:46 PM
Nice episode, i always loved the Orange islands episode and the gym matches

Tadashi
31st August 2009, 7:09 AM
I totally love the idea of a race as part of a Gym match... but the fact that he got a badge from that... well... definitely not one of the best Gym matches.

Lorde
28th November 2009, 6:38 PM
I liked the idea of a challenge and not a battle.

One of my favorite gyms was the Mikan Island Gym since it still specializes in Water types.

Good episode introducing the Orange Crew. 9/10

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 11:56 AM
Good gym battle, i loved Lapras' strategy..

And Ash was great, 7/10

G50
6th February 2011, 5:17 AM
This episode was cool. All 3 of the tests were cool, and definitely gave a different version of a gym battle than we were used to at the time. The race strategy was really cool as well. Glad Ash won in the end.

60/100

Painkiller2001
7th March 2011, 8:03 AM
To me, it felt like this first Gym match was just a bit too easy and was a bit too short.

It could've been a little longer.

However, it is neat to see gym matches done in a different style than the usual first-trainer-to-faint-the-leaders-pokemon-first style. Truly unique!

Also, I personally liked what Seadras voice sounded like. It was really adorable!

Aquarelle
22nd March 2011, 1:15 PM
I liked how this episode showed what Gym battles in the Orange Islands are like. The Gym "battle" in this episode was interesting because it was very different from Ash's battles in Kanto. However, the Gym was a little weird. I mean, being able to shoot cans with water proves your Pokemon are strong enough for the League because...?

The part at the beginning when Ash phoned Prof. Oak was funny, because Tracey was *blushing*. Creepy.

Vernikova
21st October 2011, 1:40 AM
I always liked the Orange Islands' gym battles because of their uniquness. The shooting cans was a silly challenge though to be honest. Sissy's little brother was pretty annoying though. With Seadra and Blastoise though, I would've liked to see a traditional gym battle.

AquaMilotic
24th December 2011, 12:02 AM
It was really funny when Ash called Seadra ugly, and Seadra used Water Gun on Ash.

Aside from that, tense "battle", enjoyable episode, I loved this one as a little kid and I still do. 10/10, no doubt.

Bulba the Great!
4th January 2012, 3:11 AM
Cissy's gym seems a little unfair, seeing as clearly her Pokemon have been specifically trained for shooting targets, whereas some trainers might literally have to capture a new water type simply to be able to compete. Not cool.

Calamity™
19th January 2012, 9:12 PM
I like how the Gym battles are different, but I agree that the activities are a bit unfair seeing as the Gym Leader has an obvious advantage. This episode, in particular, was one of my favourites because I just loved the surf race. It was smart of Ash to change the conditions with Ice Beam.

AquaMilotic
19th January 2012, 9:50 PM
but I agree that the activities are a bit unfair seeing as the Gym Leader has an obvious advantage.

At one side, that is true and unfair. But at the other site, it is really a test for trainers to overcome their disadvantage against the Gym Leader.

However, some necessities are unfair. Cissy requiring someone to have two Water types, which one of them needs to be able to Surf.

Someone who challenges Danny has to climb a mountain first. A little unfair, because someone who does not have the physical abilities to climb a mountain, but the Pokemon and the skill to complete the challenge is unable to take part.

I do think that the challenges from Rudy and Luana are fair.

Blessed
30th January 2012, 10:20 PM
The Gym battles in the Orange Islands were really interesting!. Nice to see that Ash won.

7threst
3rd September 2012, 6:28 PM
I always liked the Orange Islands' gym battles because of their uniquness. The shooting cans was a silly challenge though to be honest. Sissy's little brother was pretty annoying though. With Seadra and Blastoise though, I would've liked to see a traditional gym battle.

This comment basically summarizes my entire opinion about this episode. I loved the Orange Island gyms just because of the variety and something completely different than the standard 1 v 1 battles in Kanto and Johto.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
27th December 2012, 5:06 AM
This battle was so cool. Especially when Ash rode on Lapras. I love those kind of races. Which made me love Pokemon Heroes so much. I hope we see more races later on.

PokemontrainerY
14th July 2013, 12:23 PM
Mikan island's gym "battle" was cool, The challenges were truly unique. It's cool to challenges like Pokémon race and Water Gun targeting. I'm glad he managed to defeat Cissy and won the Coral Eye badge.

p96822
6th August 2013, 6:23 PM
Why didn't they just battle with their Pokemon then shoting targets and racing. I don't feel that this will Ash stronger as a Pokemon trainer.

moneylesswario
6th August 2013, 6:29 PM
I like the fact that they broke the usual gym battle norm, mores gyms should do this.

p96822
6th August 2013, 6:45 PM
I think it was kind of stupid. It did show me how strong the gym leader is. I wanted to see how strong that Seadra is or how powerful that blastoise is in battle.

PokemontrainerY
6th August 2013, 7:06 PM
I think it was kind of stupid. It did show me how strong the gym leader is. I wanted to see how strong that Seadra is or how powerful that blastoise is in battle.

The gym battles in Oragne Islands are different from regular gym battles. Besides battling, it tests other skills of a trainer's Pokemon.

p96822
6th August 2013, 7:21 PM
But what if Ash didn't have Laparas and he couldn't compete. What if he didn't have any water types at all? Then what those Ash can't chanellenge her?

PokemontrainerY
6th August 2013, 7:44 PM
I think the challegers that comes to challenge Cissy, brings water Pokemon with them before challenging her.
These 'What if' question will remain unanswerd forever.
Besides, it's a change from normal gym battles.

p96822
7th August 2013, 11:06 PM
I have rewacthed this episode and I have something else to say about it. The gym chanellenge was stupid and boring at the same time, I wasn't interested in the gym leader and her annoying little brother and the less I carry about Tracey the better. The only two thing I found entertaining was Team Rocket, but that doesn't save this episode from blowing and being a boring episode. I give this episode a D+ for trying something different and failing at it.

Painkiller2001
15th October 2014, 4:23 AM
Seeing gym challenges like this is, at times, a rather nice change of pace from the usual gym battle format.

Lorde
2nd November 2014, 4:04 AM
I really liked Cissy; she was feisty and had an attitude, which I liked since most Gym Leaders are generically friendly. Anyway, seeing Ash race Cissy's Blastoise on Lapras was awesome; I loved his strategy of using Ice Beam to help Lapras reach the shore faster and the episode in general was a lot of fun.