PDA

View Full Version : The Crystal Onix! (089)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 10:08 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/089.gifThe Crystal Onix!

Arriving on Sunburst Island, Ash & Co. are asked if they know anything about the Onix that is made totally out of Crystal. Curious, they help the girl and her brother to find the Crystal Onix and to capture it...can they do this?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/orange/089.shtml)

Discuss

Phantom_Bugsy
23rd October 2004, 7:20 PM
Gah, another interesting ep with an uber-hot guy. XD

Wasn't this the first appearance of Venonat? I can't remember if Tracey had used it before or not. >>

I'm taking glassblowing lessons just because of Mateo. <3 So...that's how much I liked this ep. ^^;

Wailord_Fan
23rd October 2004, 11:12 PM
First appearance of his Marill, Venonat was used in Tracey's first appearance when they saved the lapras.

Phantom_Bugsy
23rd October 2004, 11:16 PM
Oh. Eheheh....I'm getting Pokemon mixed up, now, yay me. XD

*back ontopic* And..Mateo's little sister scared the crap out of me. O_o

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 11:35 PM
I remember this episode so well, I love it! I was so like mega shocked seeing Marill I was like "What's that?!?!?!". I was funny when Venonat thought that the pile of rocks was the Onix.

Woohoo Feather Trainer! Hello Winona, I'll battle you! (I'm catching up to Ash!)

Phantom_Bugsy
23rd October 2004, 11:37 PM
Yes, I remember that part now. I still think Mateo should have actually CAUGHT the Crystal Onix. >> That would have -OWNED.-

meggirl63
4th November 2004, 12:54 PM
I think Mateo did the right thing by not capturing the crystal onix. Don't you think? Oh, his little sister Marissa is so cute with her hair like that! :D

Alfonso
5th November 2004, 3:19 PM
Venonat first appeared in the Koga Battle episode. Of course, if you mean TRACEY'S Venonat, then yes, he first appeared in The Lost Lapras. ^_^

Lupin
6th November 2004, 8:39 PM
I'm surpriced that no-one has metioned the "Crystal Onix is a early form of a Steelix" theory yet. This being based on the fact that the Crystal Onix isn't effected by water attacks, yet is weak against Fire.

sdp
16th February 2005, 2:07 AM
Nah, but i loved this episode, the whole "crystal onix" thing was a great storyline.

vulpix
18th April 2005, 11:20 PM
i don't remember seeing it but i want to see a crystal Onyx.

FlareonJupiter
23rd April 2005, 12:29 AM
My favorite parts were:

1) Mateo using Cloyster, one of my favorite Pokemon. Although Cloyster lost, I loved that one facial expression, lol (This is the one, below)

http://img258.echo.cx/img258/6434/uhohcloyster6lw.jpg

2)James' fantasy about turning the Crystal Onix into a bathtub... I thought that was so cute!

Quote from James: "A crystal tub! Eeeee!"

Phantom_Bugsy
26th April 2005, 8:26 PM
That Cloyster is adorable. <3

Mateo is more adorable, tho. *shot*

Anyone got more pics from this ep? I tried in the pic thread but that was a no-go. >___> Like 4 times.

pisces_beedrill
6th July 2005, 12:42 PM
i love the episode with the crystal onix! it was brilliant! it is such a shame the crystal onix can't reproduce with a normal onix! ; 142;

Lil Brother
14th July 2005, 3:08 AM
I always though crystal Onix was Onix with a Metal Coat. Wild Steelix have to come from somewhere.

wobbanut
30th August 2005, 12:00 AM
I liked this episode. Marill is one of my favorite pokemon, and I'm glad Tracey owned one and we got to see it on a regular basis. :) Venonat was great in this episode too. I liked when Tracey told it to find something that looked like an onix, and it found a pile of rocks in an onix shape. LOL :D I do think he was a little hard on venonat, though.

The crystal onix bit was pretty good. It was interesting to see a pokemon that's a little different from the norm, even if people can't figure out how the onix came to be that way. The little glass pikachu was cute too. :D

Phantom_Bugsy
30th August 2005, 12:06 AM
He was hard on Venonat 'cause he wanted to impress Mateo. <3

I need to see this ep again or I'll suffocate x___X Mateo was just....omghot. I'd do him.

Aptenodytes
2nd November 2005, 2:21 AM
cool onix and the episode was fun to watch. i think brock shouldve caught the onix, that wouldve made it much more interesting

lightspeed
21st April 2006, 2:55 PM
A really cool episode, I enjoyed watching them try different ways to look for onix and the onix looks rather awesome.

SuperShadow
15th May 2006, 12:07 AM
I'm surpriced that no-one has metioned the "Crystal Onix is a early form of a Steelix" theory yet. This being based on the fact that the Crystal Onix isn't effected by water attacks, yet is weak against Fire.
I'm not the only one who recognized that. I think this episode was meant to be a small preview of 2 possible g/s/c such as marill and as mentioned above Steelix. I'd give this episode 9.987995/10(In other words a 10).

Dark Magic
30th May 2006, 3:11 AM

Well on a pure type basis, Steelix is weak against water based on his ground aspect so how can he not be affected ;-). As cool as the idea of a purely Crystal Onix is, the monster Onix that Bruno fights is still the King.

Adam_stm
15th June 2006, 5:45 AM
Maybe that Onix had a metal coat on it.

How did TR get out of the traps they fell into?

LuciRuki
21st June 2006, 9:00 PM
This was one of my favourite eps ever. It didnt have a metal coat on... it was just made of crystal
Crystal and Steel is not the same element.
This ep 6.9/10

Golden Rapidash
21st June 2006, 9:18 PM
This was one of my favourite eps ever. It didnt have a metal coat on... it was just made of crystal
Crystal and Steel is not the same element.
This ep 6.9/10
>:(
That was my favorite ep! Y did u give almost 7!
I would give it a 9.63/10!! lol sorryXD

LuciRuki
22nd June 2006, 4:16 PM
that is a good mark- i am very hard marker. If i give it a high mark- i really mean it

JONNO.FRESH
15th July 2006, 9:09 AM
The Crystal Onix was kool and Marills first epi iirc. TR escaping from thier traps made me try to work out how they did it. Awesome epi 9/10

Umi Mizuno
28th August 2006, 2:08 AM
Heh, pretty good for an OI ep and Mateo and Marisa weren't bad, I actually liked them. But damn it, Mateo should've CAUGHT the Crystal Onix. That would've so made this episode the best.

Celebitwo
28th August 2006, 2:21 PM
How did TR get out of the traps they fell into?

I think mewoth cut himself down from the tree who would have freeded jessie(or she could have used arbok the smash the bars) arbok would hav dug under ames and pushed him out of the hole. thats my theory

crystal and steel are similar so it annoys me the water effects steel pokemon

MayisCool
28th August 2006, 3:50 PM
I think Ash should have caught the Crystal Onix and than gave it to Brock. that whould have been cool I think, Brock getting a crystal Onix to train..

Dragonking
15th September 2006, 12:42 AM
Good episode, but it would have been cool if that was the shiny version.

Ashy Boy
17th September 2006, 8:32 AM
I didn't like the guy who made nasty comments at Mateo.

Koriinku
25th October 2006, 2:24 PM
I hope they added on the game some Crystal Onix. It's a shame they did'nt catch it.

ShinyManafi
21st December 2006, 9:03 PM
Wow, I really like this one, the Crystal Onix is so awesome

Pacman
11th January 2007, 7:04 PM
A OK episode. The Crystal Onix was cool.

Magmarashi
13th January 2007, 7:17 AM
I kind of liked this Episode. It was interesting when they used that effect in which everyone went through each others' eyes.

I also liked the Charmeleon Appearance.

mewmew202
14th February 2007, 8:07 PM
I liked the whole shiny pokemon thing but wasn't crazy about the episode myself. I really liked the orange league season though.

Miniduffa
25th April 2007, 7:57 PM
this episode caused all my friends to say that they had the crystal onix on red/blue

Battra
15th August 2007, 4:23 PM
A very good episode I love that Crystal Onix to bad they never put it in the game or gave it away at events i'd love to own one and I love how the Onix just glowed when exposed to Charmelon's flames very pretty. Interesting that they never mentioned how the Onix became crystallized, I assume that it is extremely old, and perhaps some time in it's past it was near a volcano and it's body gradually cooled well under extreme pressure and it became crystallized and thus resistant to water but not fire.

HommeDor
19th September 2007, 1:40 AM
i loved this show, it was just so adorible how the tiny charmeleon tried to capture the chrystal onix!

Ivysaur92
12th January 2008, 5:47 AM
A cool episode all in all

and great to see Cloyster, Marill looking very cool, and especially Charmeleon.

;005; ;183;

Walcott
18th March 2008, 11:53 AM
I saw this EP. Wasn't too good, but the fact of there being a Crystal Onix is pretty cool. I would love t obe able to catch one in the games. Sorta reminds me of the Red Gyarados..

Dark Arceus
22nd March 2008, 11:15 AM
Quite liked the episode. The Crystal Onix was magnificent. It would be good if that was the shiny form of Onix in-game.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
15th April 2008, 11:54 AM
This still remains to be one of my favourite episodes from the whole of the the Pokémon series, yet, to this day, I cannot for the life of me work out why. Is it because the Crystal Onix itself is super cool? Maybe. Is it for that scene where the Onix is surrounded in the fire. Psychadelic. Or is it because of Marill? It's probably a combination of the lot.

(s.i.e)
5th July 2008, 3:28 PM
when i first heard of that crystal onix i became very interested, it has a great storyline if you ask me.

Shygirlfrumfl
19th July 2008, 2:07 AM
Oh I remember seeing this one wasnt that long ago either.It was such an interesting episode too.One of the best episodes if you ask me.

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 6:59 AM
Pretty good episode. Crystal Onix was good and magnificent but this wasn't very rememorable.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 2:45 PM
love this epi...i never knew who Marill was..or i knew it but forot it XD
the Crystal onix rocks ^_^

Blue Snover
7th April 2009, 10:18 AM
Not the best episode.

I was a little disappointed that no-one caught it, but i can understand why they didn't.

Ice T. Sackboy
8th April 2009, 2:05 PM
This episode was very interesting because a Crystal Onix makes an appearence here. Very different than the other normal Onix known in the Pokemon World since Water don't affect the Crystal Onix here. Very unusual that the searcher looking for it the whole time didn't capture it. What a shame.

bulb182
25th April 2009, 9:03 PM
One of the few episodes where Cloyster and Charmeleon have decent screen time :)

Ash-kid
6th May 2009, 5:01 PM
Why Ash didn't fight against that Onix?

Slowking[George]
6th May 2009, 5:52 PM
Because he knew that the sculpter (forgot his name) was the one involved with it, it just wouln't be right if he tried to catch it or even battle it. That's why he didn't intervene when the sculpter was using his Charmeleon.

Tadashi
31st August 2009, 5:47 AM
I totally loved the premise of a crystal Onix episode. I totally wish we could've had that in the games... and that Mateo guy was pretty awesome ^^ He made such a cute little glass Pikachu figurine at the end. Sadly, it was still a pretty forgettable episode to me.

Surfer_Dude
27th September 2009, 7:49 AM
Wow the crystal onix looks awesome!!!

Swampert_trainer
25th December 2009, 4:05 AM
I really liked this episode. It was the first time we saw a Mariil (which became my favorite Pokemon of the time). And the Crystal Onix was really cool. Pretty much an early version of Steelix (I wouldn't be surprised if thats where they got the idea for Steelix from).

Lorde
25th December 2009, 5:00 AM
Rarely do we get such interesting Pokemon like an Onix made out of crystal-like minerals. I loved this episode since the character of the day was actually interesting. I mean, how can you not like a glassmaker and his Charmeleon who are on a quest to find the one thing that can inspire them? I just really liked the story and the characters. I also loved Tracey's Marill's debut. It's one of the best 2nd Gen Pokemon. 9/10.

G50
6th February 2011, 4:24 AM
This episode was ok. That crystal Onix was really cool. Too bad Ash wasn't really able to get a chance to catch it. Seeing Tracy's Marill was really cool.

22/100

hever
2nd March 2011, 12:45 AM
Rarely do we get such interesting Pokemon like an Onix made out of crystal-like minerals :O

I loved it. A glassmaker and his Charmeleon on a guest to find the one thing that can inspire them; a special Onix.

Loved Tracey's Marill's debut. It's one of the best 2nd Gen Pokemon, 9/10

I love that you said exactly what I wanted to say! The little sculpture that Ash received at the end was also a nice catch. Awesome seeing a crystal Onix. They should've made the shiny Onix in the game this color.

9/10

Painkiller2001
8th March 2011, 6:01 AM
Just one question about this episode.
First, let me say that it's been a looooong time since I've seen many episodes from before the Orange Islands arc.

My question is:

Was this Marills very first anime appearance?
I kind of have a feeling it might not have been.

Edit: Disregard my question. Just read the posts, and it seems this was Marills first anime appearance.

Aquarelle
22nd March 2011, 12:42 PM
My question is:

Was this Marills very first anime appearance?
I kind of have a feeling it might not have been.

Edit: Disregard my question. Just read the posts, and it seems this was Marills first anime appearance.

Well, it was its first appearance on TV. A Marill was shown in the first movie, though, in the Pikachu short.

I really liked how Tracey had a Marill - I thought it was so cute! ^^
The whole crystal Onix thing was very interesting. I thought it was so cool that an Onix could be made of crystals. It looked really pretty and I was really impressed by the fact that it could swim in the water and not get hurt by it or anything.

Caseydia
18th April 2011, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't mind catching a crystal Onix. It's better than a shiny Onix.

TheEpicGoomba
7th May 2011, 1:01 PM
I like the concept of this episode. Though catching a Crystal Onix would be cool.

Zoruagible
13th July 2011, 7:39 PM
I like the concept of this episode. Though catching a Crystal Onix would be cool.

I agree.

It was cool at the end, when Ash got like a small crystal Pikachu model.
It makes me wonder if there are more crystal pokemon out there

Ivanka
18th August 2011, 7:41 PM
It was a nice twist in the anime. It would also be nice to see them adding these unusual variations of Pokemon to the games. =D

Vernikova
25th October 2011, 1:44 AM
The crystal Onix was certainly an interesting thing to see. Now we need a diamond Steelix. I didn't really see the point in battling the Onix but I guess they couldn't go an episode without a battle. The characters of the day weren't memorable at all though.

Calamity™
19th January 2012, 8:17 PM
This was an interesting episode. It was nice to see something so different, but it does make you think that there could be many variations of Pokémon in the Pokémon world. So it would be nice to see more of these unusual Pokémon.

Blessed
29th January 2012, 4:50 AM
This episode was nice with the crystal Onix! ;o

AquaMilotic
5th February 2012, 11:55 PM
This was an interesting episode. It was nice to see something so different, but it does make you think that there could be many variations of Pokémon in the Pokémon world. So it would be nice to see more of these unusual Pokémon.

I totally agree with you! The crystal Onix was a special and nice idea, I'd like to see more of those kind of unusual Pokemon!

I have this episode on DVD and I like it, this is a cool and rewatchable episode, 9/10.

7threst
3rd September 2012, 7:10 PM
The crystal Onix was awesome and boy did I enjoyed just the whole synopsis of this episode. For a filler, this was very strong and nice to watch. So far, the Orange Islands are very enjoyable because it's totally different than its predecessor.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
27th December 2012, 4:09 AM
It was amazing seeing an Onix made out of crystal. But, I wonder how it got like that? Well, there's always a mystery in the Pokemon World. And Jessie and James looked like the Ginyu Force while they were saying their names. xD

PokemontrainerY
14th July 2013, 2:19 AM
It's nice to see a Onix made out of Crystal/Steel, I think this Onix is the early version of Steelix. Also, Tracy's Marill debuted in this episode. which, in my opinion, is good because it debuted before the 2nd gen games came out. Overall, this was an interesting episode.

thetamale
15th September 2013, 2:55 AM
My theory is the Crystal Onix was a Delta Species.

Garados Dragon
17th February 2014, 2:17 AM
I loved that episode with the Crystal Onix and was bummed when after that trainer with the Magmar didn't catch that Ash didn't decide to catch it. (what about you guys?) Also I feel that the Crystal Onix is an awesome pokemon and would have been nice to see even Brock use it or Ash. Lastly I have given the Crystal Onix a nickname that I believe is really cool and fits so perfectly that when you read for the first time on the web right here from me that you will start to refer to it by the nickname for even. Ready? Well here is the nickname I came up with for the Crystal Onix after I first saw that episode by the same name is Crystalix and remember I coined the name and that it is entirely something that I made up so if anybody ttys to claim that they came up with that name call them out on it and set up a link to this page where it indeed did appear on the web for the first time and was coin by me.

So now let the discussion begin!

Shiny Glaceon!
24th February 2014, 12:22 AM
favorite orange league episode

Painkiller2001
15th October 2014, 3:31 AM
Even after my second viewing of this episode, it still is neat to see an Onix made out of crystal.
Also neat to see Marills first appearance before it's generating is even out.