PDA

View Full Version : A Way Off Day Off! (100)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 11:14 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/100.gifA Way Off Day Off!

Deciding to take a break on a nearby Island, Ash & Co and all their Pokémon just use the time to relax and get better aquainted. However Team Rocket have other plans for the Pokémon and intend to steal them. Can they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/orange/100.shtml)

Discuss

AmeldaS
1st November 2004, 2:47 AM
This is the best Filler episode of all!

I love it! I can watch for ever.

Here we see the personalities of all the character's Pokemon.
I love the scene of Team Rocket and their Pokemon sunbathing, it's perfect.

I wish we get a Hoenn episode like this soon.

Hales
1st November 2004, 8:15 AM
Is this the episode after Tracey caught Scyther? because I partially saw this episode and there definitely was a Scyther in it.

Probably the only Scyther that Ash made friends with :)

Torkoal Stu
27th November 2004, 9:04 PM
what is the point f this ep notning happends that is of any importants it just a rubbish filler. ;128;

Jesse GS the II
28th November 2004, 2:41 AM
If there was ever an episode in the entire 300+ episode run of "Pokémon" that perfectly defined the word "filler", this would be it - an episode that has little or no bearing on the central underlying story of the series. And indeed, there was absolutely NO POINT to this episode in the slightest. There were no captures, no evolutions, no badges, no life lessons learned, no aspects from the video game, no new characters introduced, but worst of all, there was no plot - it's just a bunch of stuff that happens. Why, I'd almost swear that there was a Japanese writers' strike the week this episode was conceived. They couldn't have had less impact on the Orange Islands storyline if they tossed a clip show together. There's a reason I only saw this one once - no rewatchability at all.

Cyndaquil
28th November 2004, 10:56 PM
Actually it built a feud between Scyther and Charizard. And Charizard battled for Ash for the 1st time since Cinnabar Gym, showing it wasn't so grumpy

wobbanut
19th January 2005, 6:09 PM
This episode has one of the best Team Rocket mottos *ever* :D :

Jessie (after she and James hit a tree): Team Blocket brast off at the leed of spite tonight
James: Surrender now, or prepare to... surrender now... surrender now.
Meowth: Meowth, say the motto right!

I also like the clips to Ash's first two gym battles.

Alfonso
19th January 2005, 8:29 PM
This episode has one of the best Team Rocket mottos *ever* :D :

Jessie (after she and James hit a tree): Team Blocket brast off at the leed of spite tonight
James: Surrender now, or prepare to... surrender now... surrender now.
Meowth: Meowth, say the motto right!

I also like the clips to Ash's first two gym battles.

The clips with the songs? Those were great. XD I swear, it was a Ash x Dandy music video! I don't remember the words, but seriously... maybe Misty has someone other than Gary to worry about. :D (In regards to stealing Ash away from her, I mean. I'm sure she could find some comfort with Sakura though... :p)

PokeFan4Ever7783
17th May 2005, 5:01 AM
All I gotta say is why for once can't one of Ash's other Pokemon wake up for once and get the bonding moment??? Why always Pikachu??? for crying out loud I know their the stars of the show but sheesh!!! and this episode was just okay .

JONNO.FRESH
16th July 2006, 8:43 AM
Meh an average epi. Could of been MUCH better. 4/10

Charizard86
16th July 2006, 9:24 AM
It was good to see all the pokemon out of their balls at the same time, which didn't happen too much, but I just didn't understand the small clipshow bit. There had only been two gyms at the times so it was pretty pointless. Otherwise, not a bad filler episode.

ShinyManafi
21st December 2006, 3:52 AM
The only thing I liked about this episode was TR in the sun :D

Battra
29th August 2007, 5:23 PM
An enjoyable filler episode, I loved the TR motto.

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 8:45 AM
I liked the motto but it was just a pointless episode really. Nothing of value seemed to happen.

Raikipper
8th January 2009, 11:20 PM
If there was ever an episode in the entire 300+ episode run of "Pokémon" that perfectly defined the word "filler", this would be it - an episode that has little or no bearing on the central underlying story of the series. And indeed, there was absolutely NO POINT to this episode in the slightest. There were no captures, no evolutions, no badges, no life lessons learned, no aspects from the video game, no new characters introduced, but worst of all, there was no plot - it's just a bunch of stuff that happens. Why, I'd almost swear that there was a Japanese writers' strike the week this episode was conceived. They couldn't have had less impact on the Orange Islands storyline if they tossed a clip show together. There's a reason I only saw this one once - no rewatchability at all.

Very well-said, and I agree completely. The only remotely interesting thing about this episode was that it established the possibly of a rivallry between Charizard and Scyther, but...eh, nothing seemed to come of it. I can't remember the two characters ever appearing in close proximity again.

(s.i.e)
26th January 2009, 1:03 PM
there wasn't much special to see but it was a decent filler if you ask me.

Blue Snover
6th March 2009, 6:10 PM
Another pointless episode.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 4:12 PM
Nah i dont like this episode...waste of time =(

Ice T. Sackboy
10th April 2009, 2:00 PM
Teehee. Tracey's funny when he talks in his sleep. James is also funny when lying his butt off. Once again, a Pokemon conflict must be solved (this time between Charizard and Scyther) by Team Rocket causing a disturbance and having the Pokemon work together to send them blasting off again.

CyberCubed
14th April 2009, 7:04 AM
I used to really not like this episode, but now years later, I appreciate it more because all of these Pokemon aren't part of the show anymore.

It makes you appreciate some eps in retrospect because we all know Ash's Kanto Pokemon, in addition to Misty/Tracey's Pokemon all leave the series at some point.

So its getting to see Pokemon all interact in an episode, and none of these Pokemon will ever be altogether again for the entire rest of the series.

Alloute
14th April 2009, 7:26 AM
It's one of the best episodes in my opinion, I loved seeing all the Pokes out of their Pokeballs.

Tracey and Misty were too cute. Team Rocket was so naive, I miss the good ol' days...

Tadashi
31st August 2009, 7:55 AM
Kay, boring filler much? The high point was Jigglypuff coming around to scribble on everyone again. How sad is that?

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 4:41 PM
it was a boring filler.

I loved only the fight between Charizard and Scyther, that's all.

Lorde
30th December 2009, 9:45 PM
A good Filler every once in a while is great.

I liked how it was a vacation-type episode, with everyone relaxing. Glad that Team Rocket ruined that in the end otherwise it wouldn't have been fun.

I liked the rivalry between Charizard and Scyther. 7/10

cazatron
15th March 2010, 12:41 AM
i lOOVE this episode, possible my favourite ever. the team rocket motto was hilarious, and i it when everyones pokemon comes out

G50
7th February 2011, 1:29 PM
I really didn't not like this fillter episode. Another Jigglypuff-inside episode. It's a lot cool to see the Pokemon outside of their pokebolls.

11/100

Painkiller2001
25th April 2011, 7:44 AM
That one look Charizard gave Ash, to me, said: "**** you!"

And also, apparently Marill, Squirtle, Psyduck and possibly a few others are too heavy to drag. Obviously Snorlax is too heavy to drag.

CliveKoopa
25th August 2011, 7:52 PM
I read all the posts for this thread and I would just like to say I am disgusted and sick of the bashing of this episode. I don't give a damn whether this is a filler or not and am fed up of people using the word as if it was a bad word. This episode is one of my favourite episodes of the Orange Islands series.

Vernikova
9th November 2011, 1:10 AM
A boring filler episode. I didn't care for much of anything besides seeing what Jigglypuff drew, Team Rocket not being able to pull Snorlax, and Snorlax eating food. That's it.

Interrupt
24th December 2011, 7:28 PM
This episode is a beautiful little boy. <3

It was nice to see how Charizard was acting, it showed he wasn't a big grump but he just took Ash for granted sometimes. And also Scyther's all like BEHAVE >:U and Charizard is like NU >:U And they're both all like >:U >:U >:U >:U >:U >:U >:U.
Best Team Rocket Motto variation EVUR.
And like the title says, it was just a relaxation point for the Pokémon. Also this episode is the most lulzy of the entire Orange League. Why do people hate it so much? I'm all for plot but I was about to quit watching Pokémon because it was getting way too much like DBZ. Too much action and plot which ultimately cancelled itself out over time and not enough lulz and enjoyment. I REALLY liked it when Pikachu and Ash sat down together by the stars and talked. <3

Also, best quote of all time below.

Ash: Come out Charizard!
*few minutes later, Charizard is still laying around*
Ash: C'mon, Charizard, socialize with your Pokéfriends!
Charizard: *le sarcastic face*
Ash: I don't like the way you're acting, Charizard! Shape up!
Charizard: *torches ash*
Ash:...Or not.

Blessed
31st January 2012, 8:16 AM
An enjoyable filler episode, I love how they took a break from their travels.

Calamity™
1st February 2012, 4:21 PM
I liked the fight between Charizard and Scyther, but apart from that I happened to find this episode rather boring. At least it was a well named episode for such a filler, "...day off".

AquaMilotic
6th February 2012, 8:11 PM
The rivalry between Ash's Charizard and Tracy's Scyther was fun. Togepi being the only one who wasn't afraid of Scyther was funny as well! It was a really fun filler. And James's Victreebel should've used Sleep Powder more often in the anime! 10/10.

Aquarelle
2nd May 2012, 10:49 AM
I found this to be a so-so episode. Much of it was a little boring since nothing really happened...
But on the bright side, I did like Snorlax eating the food and Team Rocket getting attacked by those Farfetch'd at the end. Oh, and the island everyone was on was very beautiful.

32er
15th June 2012, 10:59 PM
I actually liked this episode and agree with CliveKoopa. :)
8/10

7threst
6th September 2012, 8:17 PM
I agree with that this episode was pretty pointless. In my opinion, they could have done at least some character development in this, but it had only very small developments. Lucky, I'm getting close to the 3rd gym in the Orange League and after that, it gets better from what I've heard.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
27th December 2012, 5:29 AM
Ahhh a relaxing episode. But dang flabbit all Staryu did was play in the water. Why didn't it hang with the other Pokemon? :( But I liked Scyther and Charizard's rivalry.

PokemontrainerY
14th July 2013, 2:42 AM
This episode was a nothing but a boring filler. the only thing I liked about this episode was the rivalry between Ash's Charizard and Tracy's Scyther.

AdrenalinDragon
28th April 2014, 2:41 AM
This was the Charizard and Scyther "Filler" episode if I recall. Funny how this was heavily promoted as the 100th episode of the series back then. It was kind of cool seeing all the Pokemon in one episode, despite nothing really happening other than being on a one day vacation. My favourite scene is where Ash and Pikachu are alone at night, and are looking at the ocean together with "My Best Friends" playing in the background.

8/10

EDIT - I completely forgot about the flashbacks with the two Orange League Gym Matches happening in this episode, which were awesome too.

Painkiller2001
15th October 2014, 5:06 AM
I was just waiting to see Charizard and Scyther have one big fight with each other during this episode.
Oh yeah, I guess this was the shows 100th episode wasn't it. Not surprised it didn't get some big recognition for it, I mean kids shows usually don't anyway. At least, not that I noticed.

Lorde
16th November 2014, 6:24 AM
Seeing Team Rocket and their Pokemon relaxing on the beach and then freaking out when they saw Marill and Togepi was funny. I almost gagged when I saw Tracey's fruit sandwiches though; I'd never eat something so random tbh. Also, I really wish that those wild Farfetch'd had done something other than just pummel TR with their leeks.