PDA

View Full Version : The Wacky Watcher! (111)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 11:21 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/111.jpgThe Wacky Watcher!

On Rhind Island, Tracey meets Dr. Quackenpoker...a noted Pokémon Watcher who is doing a study on the Magikarp that climb up Waterfalls and how they evolve into Gyarados. However Team Rocket Appear to steal the Magikarp and get them to evolve...can they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/orange/111.shtml)

Discuss

wobbanut
24th October 2004, 10:11 PM
Dr. Quackenpoker! If ever there was a greater one-time guest character, I can't think of any offhand. This Groucho Marx lookalike was just a fountain of great one-liners. I love that Tracey got to play a major role in the episode too.

ronster486
24th October 2004, 10:12 PM
I think that doctor was funny and it was an overall good episode.

Pika Hikari KT
28th October 2004, 1:54 AM
Dr. Quackenpoker is rivaling the Trick Master for the funniest one-time character(with Prof. Westwood close behind).^_^ I also liked that Tracey played the main role today; as I'm a Tracey fan...reminds me of myself with all those drawings in his sketchbook! The Magikarp were cute(admit it; they were kawaii!); and the Gyarados were just plain cool! Overall; 9/10 for an awesome filler!

The Big Al
28th October 2004, 1:57 AM
It true they made him the most unusual character in the Orange Islands. At least he didn't scare the crap out of me like the trick master. (I swear, that dude's on something heavy.)

wobbanut
28th October 2004, 7:00 PM
Dr. Quackenpoker is rivaling the Trick Master for the funniest one-time character(with Prof. Westwood close behind).^_^ I also liked that Tracey played the main role today; as I'm a Tracey fan...reminds me of myself with all those drawings in his sketchbook! The Magikarp were cute(admit it; they were kawaii!); and the Gyarados were just plain cool! Overall; 9/10 for an awesome filler!

*slaps forehead* OMG, I forgot about Professor Westwood! Shows how much I've gotten the chance to watch "The Evolution Solution". :p You're right, he's one of the funniest characters too. :D

vulpix
31st March 2005, 8:10 PM
to tell the truth this episode would have bean completly boring if it wasn't for Dr.Quackenpoker.

~Toshi~
10th April 2005, 5:04 AM
I didn't like this episode one little bit >.< It was very boring to me.

lightspeed
21st April 2006, 3:57 PM
I didn't enjoy this episode much, it was rather boring, nothing much in it...and Dr. Quackenpoker was a weird person IMO...

Geodude
16th June 2006, 5:46 AM
"When I was a boy I woke up one morning and I saw a Magikarp in my pyjamas. How a Magikarp got in my pyjamas, I'll never know."

Ashy Boy
27th June 2006, 10:13 PM
The Quackenpoker guy was kinda interesting.

Geodude
5th July 2006, 2:43 AM
Quackenpoker: "Just what I was looking for. Non-union labor."

Quackenpoker: "One for you, one for you, one for you, and one for 'chu."

Tracey: "I see. It's a machine that records the number of Magikarp as they pass by."
Quackenpoker: "It does much more than that! It measures and analyzes thirty-two factors, including fin length, bone structure, muscle density, not to mention size/weight ratios and oxygen efficiency quotients."
Ash: "Size/weight ratios and oxygen efficiency quotients?"
Quackenpoker: "I asked you not to mention those, didn't I?"

Quackenpoker: "Everything takes time, Magikarp. Took me three years to grow this moustache."

JONNO.FRESH
15th July 2006, 9:59 AM
a really funny epi. The Watcher was funny and all the Magikarp evolving was kool. 8/10 for being a good epi

Battra
30th October 2006, 8:43 PM
Very Nice episode nice to see that Pokemon exhibt some of the traits that actual fish have. I also like how Quackenpoker is based off of Groucho Marx.

ShinyManafi
21st December 2006, 10:05 PM
LOL, Dr. Quackenpoker is funny, but it was cool to see the life of a Magikarp

Battra
30th May 2008, 2:57 PM
This episode still stands up today as a excellent filler, Dr. Quackenpoker is funny, and we get to see a beautiful evolution of Gyarados from Magikarp.

(s.i.e)
5th July 2008, 4:12 PM
mwoh, i've seen better episodes you know, that quackenpoker is funny though:D

willywiluhps
16th October 2008, 2:38 AM
"SAY, now that the plot's come to a screeching halt, why don't I take a look at your sketchbook?"
"Oh, sure, go ahead!"
"Ahh, excellent! I see a great future ahead of you, young man!"
"Do...do you really think so?"
"Well, you certainly don't have a future behind you."
XD

I never expected a combination as incongruous as Pokémon and Groucho Marx! The characters of the day are usually so forgettable and mostly indistinguishable from each other, and Quackenpoker was so vibrant and quirky. I'm curious to see what Pokemopolis says about it...hmm, the site's not working...oh well, very quick sophisticated jokes really make this episode stand out! It's great to see a one-off character that's so unusual. Very fun episode :)

HoennMaster
16th October 2008, 7:57 AM
It's common these days though.

Tadashi
18th October 2008, 6:30 AM
"SAY, now that the plot's come to a screeching halt, why don't I take a look at your sketchbook?"
"Oh, sure, go ahead!"
"Ahh, excellent! I see a great future ahead of you, young man!"
"Do...do you really think so?"
"Well, you certainly don't have a future behind you."
XD

That is awesome!

Rather a forgettable episode for me. The only reason the name "Dr. Quackenpoker" rings a bell is cuz he made a recent cameo in a fic I'm reading :P

dagon22
18th November 2008, 6:45 AM
I remember that it was cool seeing the magikarp and seeing how devoted people are to studying pokemon.

kingkoopa1080
20th November 2008, 10:02 AM
Good episode. I like seeing the pokemon acting more like real animals. This ep must have some of the best jokes out of them all as well.

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 1:16 AM
A rather poor episode. Was just "meh" all the way through. But the name "Quackenpoker" is epic win. The Orange Islands were just too focused on water Pokemon so it was boring to me.

Blue Snover
6th March 2009, 6:05 PM
I thought Quackenpoker was a bit crazy.

I always thought that Pokemon watchers, were supposed to watch different types, not just one.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 4:14 PM
The doctor was funny...good episode i like it

Ice T. Sackboy
10th April 2009, 1:58 PM
This episode seems informative because a Pokemon Watcher studies Magikarp evolution. When they do, Team Rocket is always expected to barge in.

Oh well..what can you do.

Ash-kid
17th December 2009, 4:04 PM
Good filler.

The watcher was really short....

And Tracey got more screentime than usual.

5/10

popcorn dragon
5th January 2010, 3:22 AM
That Dr. Quackenbooger guy really creeped me out. They should've just ate the Magikarp. I'd like to see his reaction then.

Lorde
6th January 2010, 8:51 AM
I thought it was the worst Filler in the original series. I swear.

I know they intended to teach the audience and to give Tracey a hero/purpose, but it didn't work. As stated, the doctor was creepy.

Tracey's 22 minutes of fame I suppose. He barely ever got any screentime. 1/10

Swampert_trainer
10th April 2010, 4:42 AM
This episode aired yesterday on Boomerang. It was a really funny episode. Dr. Quakenpoker was full of funny one liners. Tracey wasn't so boring in this episode either.

The way Ash called Bulbasaur out to battle was really cool, since his hands were full he just knocked the pokeball out of his pocket and kicked it around like a hacky sack towards team rocket. Then Bulbasaur hit James in the face with a Vine Whip.

Very funny episode.

Misty Lover17
24th July 2010, 6:14 PM
Nice episode, Pokemon Watcher is a good idea to find and follow fish pokemon like Magicarp.

James had problems with his head... Very funny.^_^

G50
9th February 2011, 4:13 AM
This episode was ok... "Quakenpoker" was a really funny name, he was very funny as well. Nice to see how devoted he was to studying the Magikarp and how they evolve and climp up the waterfall. It did move too slow for me personally though...

28/100

Vernikova
24th November 2011, 9:09 PM
Yes, yes this was a cute episode I suppose. Tracey getting an episode before the end of the Orange Islands was good for him I guess. Magikarp aren't really the most interesting Pokémon though so yeah. it was boring even at the end of the episode.

Blessed
2nd February 2012, 11:17 PM
This was a Tracey episode, so I didn't care for it at all. My favorite part was Ash & Misty sleeping in the same tent.

AquaMilotic
11th February 2012, 1:11 PM
This was a good episode, focusing on Magikarp. It's sad that our favourite salesman, the Magikarp Salesman didn't appear.... Good that Tracey got an episode dedicated to him. It's an enjoyable filler, 8/10.

Calamity™
14th February 2012, 3:04 PM
It's Poliwag!
A Magikarp found in the pants of a kid named Quakenpoker... how very odd. This episode was okay. I don't see why Ash and co assumed it is perfectly safe being in the middle of the ocean. The most impressive thing about the episode was probably the way he brought out Bulbasaur's Pokéball.

Falstaff
20th February 2012, 7:05 PM
I'm a HUGE Groucho Marx fan and Pokemon was absolutely the last place I expected to see him. Amazing!

The 'Magikarp in my pajamas' gag is one of Groucho's most famous bits, when he played a big-game hunter in 'Animal Crackers'. The original line was 'elephant' not Magikarp.

Aquarelle
9th April 2012, 9:29 AM
This episode had some pretty funny parts, like when James got that Magikarp stuck on his head. The name "Quackenpoker" itself was pretty amusing too. I also liked how Team Rocket was stranded on that tiny island at the end surrounded by Gyarados - I was expecting something like that to happen after seeing lots of the Magikarp evolve.

7threst
7th September 2012, 6:31 PM
Another good episode elaborating about both Magikarp and Gyarados. In a way, I really liked this character of the day. He was intelligent and he explained on a interesting way. A good filler episode in my opinion.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
27th December 2012, 5:55 AM
And this episodes adds more to Magikarp and Gyarados' origin. The fish traveling upstream to transform into a dragon. I wish the Gyarados would have started to fly after they evolved. It would have shown their flying capabilities.

Cataquack Warrior
17th May 2013, 10:47 PM
I've noticed something interesting after watching the episode again. When Team Rocket is sent away in that water cyclone, I initially attributed this to the Magikarp evolving into Gyrados. However, the Magikarp don't actually evolve into their Gyrados forms until after Team Rocket's been swept away. For me it shows that Magikarps are no pushovers when they don't want to be.

PokemontrainerY
13th July 2013, 7:22 PM
This was an interesting episode. Dr. 'Quackenpoker' was a funny character, and his name is creative. Seeing Magikarp and Gyrados's origin was nice.

Ash and Misty sleeping in the same tent was kinda weird.

Painkiller2001
15th October 2014, 6:04 AM
This episode was neat in which we see that some Magikarp do travel upstream in order to evolve.
The COTD was pretty weird.

Lorde
10th November 2014, 1:04 AM
This episode made me realize that Tracey had little charisma; it was just so hard watching him get the spotlight since I felt nothing for him and his development as a Pokemon Watcher. Anyway, I liked seeing all those Magikarp swimming up stream like salmon, and I laughed when James's head got bit by a Magikarp and when several Magikarp evolved.