PDA

View Full Version : Hello Pumello! (113)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 11:22 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/113.jpgHello Pumello!

Having arrived on Pumello Island, Ash & Co. learn a bit about the League...its just one battle against the Leader, Drake. A full 6 on 6 match. Will Ash be able to win something this big or should he just go home to Pallet Town?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/orange/113.shtml)

Discuss

meggirl63
24th October 2004, 2:24 PM
I thought Drake was cute!

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 2:43 PM
Tauros done really well in the battle because Ash had never used it in a battle before. Charizard was awesome! Even Lapras had a battle! (with Genger)

meggirl63
29th October 2004, 1:23 PM
Oh, I howled with delight when Drake came onto the scene. Also, the start of the battle was really great with Drake providing puns everytime he released his Pokemon for battle. For example, when he released Ditto, he said 'Hope this battle leaves a good impression!'.

Controller of Flames
29th October 2004, 1:33 PM
now there are 2 Drakes, Orange Leuge and Hoenen

vulpix
18th April 2005, 11:58 PM
this episode made me so actous to see how Ash does in the Orange League.

Batdude
4th August 2005, 11:55 AM
*was woken up at 9.00am by the UPS guy and finally got the Orange Island eps on DVD*

It has been so long since I saw this ep that I forgot most of it. Watching it again was a good laugh, and it sets up nicely for the second part. I thought that the whole 'Palace of Victory' was a nice touch we didn't see with the Indigo League. And of course the first real introduction of Dragonite (aside from the lighthouse and the first movie) is a pleasure to watch. Call me crazy, but I love it's voice. It's so eerie, yet you want to cuddle it or something.

The Gengar match was a bit weird to say the least. Surely it would have been fast enough to avoid Lapras' water gun. In the Morty match later on without foresight Ash wouldn't have been able to touch him. Ah well, the ice beam/nightshade clash at the end was nice enough for me. They must rotate the champion around every so often, right? Because there are people in the hall of fame, yet Drake has never been beaten. He probably just took over from the last guy, wouldn't you say?

wobbanut
30th August 2005, 11:03 PM
I never have much to say about championship and gym battle episodes, but this episode has a couple of very funny scenes that I like- Ash having all his pokemon attack Snorlax to wake him up (LOL!) and Drake arguing with Team Rocket when they try to steal dragonite. Too bad that Snorlax ended up staying with Professor Oak pretty much from this episode on, except for a couple of battles, but at least Ash didn't have to worry about feeding him. :)

Aptenodytes
1st November 2005, 8:31 PM
i loved seeing lapras in battle, and at the end it really left the viewers thinking who would come out victorious. 10/10!

Opal Pikachu13
26th January 2006, 4:54 PM
This episode was one of my favorites of this saga, like the Ditto Pikachu vs Pikachu fight, that was awesome, especially how the Ditto version Pikachu looked so confident over himself after he jumped from the rock field and Ash's Pikachu couldn't, but Ash's Pikachu made a comeback slamming Ditto Pikachu with his tail! Lapras did a good job on its battle as well.
10/10.

TwilightFacade
3rd May 2006, 11:12 PM
Awesomeness!!!!

This and the next episode are the best battling episodes that we have had so far in the anime. Pikachu took on an interesting opponent- A mirror match in Ditto. Great! Squirtle took down Onix just like it should have. Tauros didn't prove itself yet, but it will. Lapras is awfully powerful for being so young and the explosion caused by its Ice beam/Gengar's Night Shade was a great climax. Awww Snorlax was funny....too bad it went to Oak's. (Ash couldn't feed it anyway.) Great introduction to Dragonite...just great.

10/10 My 2nd most favorite episode of all time. It only lost to....well I'm sure you guys can figure it out. :)

charizard trainer #1
30th August 2006, 8:08 AM
This was Ash's first 6 on 6 battle ever and thus the episode brought new grounds for pokemon. Ash learnt a lot from that and i still remember the detail of each match. Brings good memories from my childhood too.

Anyone 4 Buttons?
10th September 2006, 10:42 AM
It was another good gym-battle from the Orange Islands, and I love the way the episode ends, with the light casting shadows on everyone, much like the end of Hoenn's Togepi episode.

Battra
21st November 2006, 10:38 PM
Very good episode it ranks as one of my favorite battle episodes and seeing Ash use one of his Tauros is cool.

ShinyManafi
21st December 2006, 10:12 PM
Part 1 of the best battle in the Orange Islands and it had some funny parts too

Yrik
4th January 2007, 4:08 AM
Ash used bad strategy on the Ditto fight, though. It would have been an easier win if he sent out Bulbasaur and then replaced it with Charizard so he had a type advantage. But OF COURSE he starts out with Pikachu.

Only issue I had with the good episode.

Battra
2nd June 2008, 4:55 PM
6v6 battles are always fun to watch since Ash gets to showcase most of his roster. It's to bad though that he wasn't able to wake Snorlax up so it could battle we won't see it again until Ash's last Johto gym battle and one of his 6v6 battle in the Johto championships, but we get to see what i'm guessing is Ash's alpha Tauros for the first time in battle since he caught it. A small error I noticed is that Tauros is sent in a regular Pokeball when it was caught in a Safari ball, I guess the animators forgot about that.

Cazak
2nd June 2008, 5:08 PM
Great episode.It ranks as one of my favourites.Charizard, Lapras and Tauros sure proved themselves here, although Bulbasaur did have me disappointed.

http://rank.pokemonindigo.com/img_library/img/1490.png

(s.i.e)
5th July 2008, 4:09 PM
i liked how ash sent in his tauros, how many did he managed to catch again?

Raikipper
19th December 2008, 11:13 AM
Ash used bad strategy on the Ditto fight, though. It would have been an easier win if he sent out Bulbasaur and then replaced it with Charizard so he had a type advantage. But OF COURSE he starts out with Pikachu.

That wouldn't have worked. The dialogue made it clear that Ditto would just have re-transformed into whatever Pokemon Ash attempted to use on it. Ditto wouldn't be stuck with the first form it assumed in battle - this may be contrary to how it works in the games, but then you have to remember that a lot of the anime is. Besides, Ash was clearly saving as much as Charizard's energy as possible for Dragonite - otherwise I'm guessing he would have used it on Venusaur.

Ash vs. Drake definitely made for one of the most exciting and well-executed battles that I remember - the fact that Drake used a Ditto was great, since a proper battle against a Ditto (as opposed to the miniature scuffles seen in "Ditto's Mysterious Mansion") was something that I'd always wanted to see. And it amused me how, though the transformed Ditto was suddenly able to speak Pikachu's lingo, it still retained its noticeably higher-pitched voice.

As with his initial Krabby/Kingler battle, Ash certainly had a remarkable amount of prowess with a Pokemon he'd never actually used before, but I'm glad that things didn't go quite so smoothly with Tauros to begin with - there were some problems and Ash had to recall it before the bovine pokemon finally proved its mettle.

schrik
28th December 2008, 7:09 PM
How can the never-trained tauros be nearly better than the suposed-to-be-one-of-the-best-trained-pokemon?

By the way, why does all Ash's pokemon seems unbeatable?

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 12:34 AM
It's a shame that a powerful Ice Beam was countered by such a puny attack like Night Shade. Poor Lapras. Good battle, btw.

firework
9th February 2009, 1:15 AM
good ep overall, nice battle
great climax for the orange series, very excit
5/5

Blue Snover
6th March 2009, 4:43 PM
I thought this was a great battle, i think he would have won a little faster if he'd used another pokemon instead of Tauros, because it's never been properly trained.

Dragonite and Pikachu was a great match.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 4:19 PM
Drake is a cool trainer
i really loved this episode!

Ice T. Sackboy
10th April 2009, 1:25 PM
Pretty cool episode ;) because Ash now challenges the Champion of Pummelo Island. Once he picks his Pokemon, he gives Champion Drake the best of luck.

Tadashi
31st August 2009, 8:15 AM
Mmm, that Drake guy... pretty good-looking regional champion. In keeping up with tradition, this is good ^^

Man, I loved Drake's Ditto. What a Pokémon to open a match with, and it was so fun to see it battle against Ash's Pikachu. Plus, it was awesome to see Lapras actually do battle ^^ A decent opening episode all in all.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 2:26 PM
Pikachu was amazing, as usual.

and Squirtle also, of course.

Gengar's moves was pretty strong.6/10

popcorn dragon
5th January 2010, 3:16 AM
Its nice how much they honor Dragonite in this episode.=) Ditto should be able to have pikachu's voice, but then we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Lorde
6th January 2010, 8:53 AM
Yay!! Finally, Ash in a full 6 on 6 battle, and against a strong opponent; the Orange Crew Leader.

I thought this and the next episode are the best in the anime. First round, Pikachu's speed really impressed me. Ditto didn't stand a chance. Second round, Squirtle did well against Onix, even using Hydro Pump.

I was shocked to see Lapras versus Gengar. It ended in a cliffhanger. 10/10

Afan
9th January 2010, 8:25 AM
I really liked this episode because it showed Ash in a full pokemon Battle.
The whole experience was very exiting to watch.
Great episode

Vernikova
20th November 2010, 1:05 AM
I really like this battle. It's always nice to see a 6-on-6 battle in the animé since those don't come along too often and this was one that i think was pulled off pretty well.

G50
9th February 2011, 4:18 AM
This was an awesome 1st half battle! Tied for my #1 favorite 2nd season episodes. Very cool cliffhanger at the end unlike in other cliffhanging episodes. I liked how Pikachu beat Ditto because it had far more stamina. The way Squirtle went from Withdraw to Hydro Pump was awesome!

98/100

Swagga09
6th May 2011, 1:49 AM
They made the battle wayy to easy for Ash

Nibbles4Ever
26th June 2011, 5:38 AM
I love these episodes for one reason. DRAGONITE!!!

CliveKoopa
25th August 2011, 9:33 PM
There are a few things I found odd about this episode. Firstly, Ash and co. are shown the Hall of Fame, which honours winners of the Orange League but then shortly afterwards, the official says that no-one has ever beaten Drake. So if no-one has ever beaten him, why are there winners' statues at the Hall of Fame?

Also, how was the official able to tell that Ash was from Pallet Town just by looking at his badges?

TraverseTown
29th August 2011, 9:19 AM
There are a few things I found odd about this episode. Firstly, Ash and co. are shown the Hall of Fame, which honours winners of the Orange League but then shortly afterwards, the official says that no-one has ever beaten Drake. So if no-one has ever beaten him, why are there winners' statues at the Hall of Fame?

Also, how was the official able to tell that Ash was from Pallet Town just by looking at his badges?

The Hall of Fame honors people victorious in the Orange League "forever". It is assumed that the people in the Hall of Fame had beaten Drake's predecessors rather than him. He seems pretty young to have been the Gym Leader for too long of a time.

When the official scans Ash's badges, photographs of Ash and his badges appear on a computer monitor. There is text underneath the presumably told him Ash's hometown.

CliveKoopa
29th August 2011, 7:17 PM
But Ash's pokedex is his ID, not the badges. Badges are just badges. There is no mention whatsoever of the gym leaders tapping into the badges like a computer and adding Ash's details.

Blessed
3rd February 2012, 12:24 PM
The first 6 vs. 6 battle in the anime, and the start of a perfect battle. An awesome first battle!

AquaMilotic
11th February 2012, 1:20 PM
The first 6 vs. 6 battle in the anime, and the start of a perfect battle. The second episode with this battle was more entertaining, but this was also awesome! When I saw this for the first time, I was so excited to see the second part! 10/10!

Calamity™
16th February 2012, 3:42 PM
It's Dragonite!
Why did Tracey, a Pokémon watcher, need to ask if that was a Dragonite? It was quite obvious considering pretty much nothing looks like Dragonite. It was funny how Team Rocket tried to steal the Leader's Dragonite and instantly fail. The first ever 6 vs 6 battle was bound to be exciting, as it was, although for a Gym Leader, that guy wasn't very impressive. How an untrained Tauros knew Fissure, I will never know. This episode needed more Team Rocket!

Aquarelle
2nd April 2012, 10:37 AM
I was kind of disappointed that Snorlax wasn't able to participate in Ash's battle against Drake due to it being asleep. But at least this allowed Tauros to get some time in the spotlight. I really liked the beginning of the battle. It was nice to see Ash start off so well by taking down Ditto and Onix. The cliffhanger at the end also made me very excited for the next episode.

7threst
7th September 2012, 8:01 PM
This episode must be second epic battle so far. The first one was definitely with Charizard versus Magmar, but this one is even more better. The intensity of this 6 v 6 battle is high and it certainly made this episode and the next one really great. This is something that - as a child - made me really sucked into Pokémon again. Battles like this fortunately happened more in later seasons, but for where we are now, this battle was excessively and unprecedentedly better than all previous battles.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
27th December 2012, 6:00 AM
I can't believe Ditto was thought to be so hard for opponents to overcome. Well, they do copy your moves, but you can overcome that. Lapras vs Gengar was good. I love how Lapras sounds while using Ice Beam.

Lorde
23rd October 2013, 9:58 PM
I re-watched this episode and I noticed things that I hadn't noticed before. Like how Dragonite was referred to as a "Legendary Pokemon" and the way Drake was called a "Gym Leader" even though he was more like a Champion. I also realized how bland Drake's voice was. Anyway, the episode still impressed me, especially the parts where Oak mentioned Kingler and Muk's achievements at the Indigo Plateau; I love consistency like that. The first half of the battle went in Ash's favor too easily imo, but it was still very enjoyable.

PokemontrainerY
23rd October 2013, 10:52 PM
This was an epic first half of the battle between Ash and the Orange Crew Leader Drake. It's the first ever 6 vs 6 full battle in the Pokémon anime.
Pikachu's speed was impressive in the first round, It's awsome how he used his tail to defeat Ditto.
In the second round, Squirtle did great against Drake's Onix, I liked how he used Hydro Pump and Skull Bash to defeat the Onix.
It was cool to see Lapras vs Gengar, which ended in a big cliffhanger.

Painkiller2001
15th October 2014, 6:27 AM
I have a confession to make.
I thought Drake in this (and the next) episode was the Hoenn E4 Drake.
But then, I'm not that familiar with the third generation of games, so, can you really blame me?

Anyway, This was a pretty exciting first half. Great to see Tuaros actually battle. Same with Lapras. I thought for sure Lapras was just going to be used strictly as transportation for Ash in the Orange Islands.