PDA

View Full Version : The Rivalry Revival! (118)

Serebii
22nd October 2004, 11:25 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/118.jpgThe Rivalry Revival!

After Gary saves the day against Team Rocket, Ash decides to challenge him...Pikachu VS Eevee. However after the battle, Ash is depressed but goes to follow Gary to Johto in order to beat him once and for all. Will he successfully do this?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/orange/118.shtml)

Discuss

meggirl63
24th October 2004, 2:12 PM
Even though Gary won the match, he said to Ash 'You did a great job, Ash!'. How sweet!

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 2:57 PM
I actually thought that Ash would win this battle, I thought "An Eevee...easy..." but it turns out that I was so wrong.

meggirl63
26th October 2004, 1:37 PM
I was surprised by Eevee when he used his Skull Bash towards Pikachu.

Shiny May
28th October 2004, 7:32 PM
Gary's Eevee was amazing in this episode. It had so much strength. You could really see that he really trained his pokemon a lot while Ash was at the Orange Islands. The Eevee had such a good defense. Truly amazing.
Pikachu was okay too but he kinda disappointed me.

Torkoal Stu
24th December 2004, 10:24 AM
gary's eevee knew attacks that it can't learn not even as egg moves or as a tm move.

m!nt
24th December 2004, 11:05 AM
gary's eevee knew attacks that it can't learn not even as egg moves or as a tm move.

In r/b/y you could teach Eevee skull bash because it was a TM so I guess Gary taught it. I dunno..

vulpix
19th April 2005, 12:04 AM
i wasn't at all surprised that Gary beat Ash.

wobbanut
30th August 2005, 11:42 PM
I can just imagine how many people were dancing in the streets when Brock said he was back. ;) I do like Tracey, but I'm glad Brock's still around today. There's something about his smarts about pokemon and pokemon battling, and the way he goes crazy over girls, that I just enjoy watching. :D At least they let Tracey go out on a good note with this episode, too, with him having his pokemon come to the rescue for Pikachu. I liked Jessie and James taking the opportunity to scarf down food when they were pretending to be reporters too (and Jessie getting Brock by spelling out "L-I-V-E").

Overall, great episode. I also liked Ash's battle against Gary, which was definitely a long time coming. Too bad he lost, but at least now we know their rematch went much better. :)

X the.only.trainer.ever X
15th September 2005, 1:47 AM
Any episode that includes Gary is a keeper for me - and it's great how he became more mature as a trainer and still not the arrogant one who carries around that cheerleading squad.

p.s. I'm glad Ash lost :)

Aptenodytes
2nd November 2005, 3:16 AM
wow good episode. i would have never thought an eevee would be so strong. its sad that gary just got his eevee and ash had pikachu since he started, but he still lost. overall ill give it a 9.8/10

charizard trainer #1
15th April 2006, 1:48 AM
i like Gary but i wonder what the situation would've been if Ash used charizard. Anyway, Ash got a rival again (hadn't had one a while, not since richie).

GoggleHead
12th May 2006, 1:45 AM
I really liked this one. I really think Pikachu would have killed Eevee, but the writers didn't agree. They obviously did this just so Ash wouldn't stop training and winning Badges. It's just like on Dragon Ball what Master Roshi, disguised as Jackie Chun, to keep Goku training and striving to be the best.

Pure
29th June 2006, 5:01 PM
This was one of the better episodes where the person who should have won, won. Eevee was obviously much better trained. They probably did the eevee thing to keep with the story of Yellow but later decided Gary got a regular starter.

Battra
19th December 2006, 12:48 AM
Very good episode the battle between Pikachu and Eevee was very exciting. I laughed when Gary walked right on by Team Rocket didn't even other to look their way. Nice to see Brock traveling with Ash and Misty again.

ShinyManafi
22nd December 2006, 3:59 AM
Nice battle between Eevee and Pikachu, I like the episodes where Ash and Gary battle

Pacman
25th January 2007, 9:13 PM
It was a OK episode.

Bonsly-Bud
28th January 2007, 7:57 PM
I liked the fact that Eevee made an appearance. It was nice to see a rival battle between the two old rivals, with some better maturity with Gary. Glad Brock came back, though I wish we knew some more about the Professor Ivy Incident.

DarkWobbuffet
4th May 2007, 9:35 AM
And thus begins Gary's decent into "Gary"-Stu-ness.

Too bad we never got to see a rematch between Pikachu and during the league.

Meh. One sided fights are boring. And Misty began becoming really annoying, rubbing Ash's defeat in his face the whole time, then we get a boring dinner scene that thankfully is interrupted by the Rockets.

Jessie: "This report is live! L-I-V-E!"
Brock: *whimper* ;-;

I still wonder what exactly happened between Brock and Ivy...

2/10, only escaped a 1/10 thanks to Team Rocket.

Battra
5th June 2008, 4:21 PM
The Battle between Ash & Gary was truly amazing Gary's Eevee really stood out in it's battle with Pikachu, to bad this is the only time we get to see it in action, since next time we see Gary it's already evolved. It's great to see Gary actually being mature instead of insulting Ash like he did during the Indigo League, Though the question has to be brought up what happened to his car and those girls that were always with him? Nice to see Ash starting a new journey to the land of Johto.

Battra
5th June 2008, 4:21 PM
The Battle between Ash & Gary was truly amazing Gary's Eevee really stood out in it's battle with Pikachu, to bad this is the only time we get to see it in action, since next time we see Gary it's already evolved. It's great to see Gary actually being mature instead of insulting Ash like he did during the Indigo League, Though the question has to be brought up what happened to his car and those girls that were always with him? Nice to see Ash starting a new journey to the land of Johto.

(s.i.e)
5th July 2008, 3:56 PM
i don't like rival fights in pokemon but it's a good episode i can aree with that.

pokemaniac dude1023
4th December 2008, 12:17 AM
I thought it was funny how ash lost his cool b4 the fight and just lashed like that.
"I'm here to fight not talk, how 'bout you?" - Gary
"I'm HERE TO BEAT YOU GARY!" - Ash, before losing badly.

Tadashi
6th December 2008, 10:09 PM

Couldn't've said it better myself ^_^ It was great seeing Eeve in action, and Gary actually telling Ash he did a good job made my heart swell. Great episode, at least for me :D

Igottapoo
7th January 2009, 12:42 AM
I love Gary's eevee. This was a good battle and good episode. I'm kind of happy that Ash lost :P

Blue Snover
6th March 2009, 5:23 PM
Gary's Eevee was really strong, considering its size.

I think Ash should realise that Gary knows all his battle strategies with Pikachu.

Littlemyuu
7th March 2009, 4:02 PM
Nice episode, Gary's eevee is strong<3

No. 1 Machop Fan
2nd December 2009, 3:31 AM
When Jessie spelled live (L-I-V-E live), it was hilarious when our observant friend reacted! IMO it was one of the funniest events in the Animé!

Lorde
4th December 2009, 9:20 AM
Seriously, Pikachu versus Eevee and Pikachu loses? Pikachu, who beat a Dragonite a few episodes prior to this battle, lost to an Eevee? Ridiculous, but I guess it's just the typical writers doing their thing. Ash loses a battle then he decides to head out to a new region; it seems generic in a way, like Kanto all over again.. I liked the going away dinner parts of this episode though since Team Rocket was funny. 5/10.

Ash-kid
7th December 2009, 6:14 PM
It was disappointing that Ash lost to Gary, so Gary was able to laugh at him as much as he want.

And i think it was the only time that Ash leaves to a journey with Brock from the begining.

popcorn dragon
5th January 2010, 3:35 AM
That was a good match against Gary, but I found it kind of sad that Pikachu got beaten by a cat.

Armaldo48
7th January 2010, 5:33 PM
When Jessie spelled live (L-I-V-E live), it was hilarious when our observant friend reacted! IMO it was one of the funniest events in the Animé!

I totally agree with you! But I still wonder what happend between Ivy and Brock.

8/10

TehLulzMastur
15th July 2010, 11:04 AM
While it was a great episode, the battle of Gary and Ash was pretty crappy.

Also, why would Ash be confused when Oak mentions Johto? Isn't that like an American not knowing about Canada?

Caseydia
10th November 2010, 1:34 AM
Most of the people in here are right about how stupid the match between Pikachu and Eevee was. It would have been better if it was Umbreon verses Pikachu. That way it would have made a good introduction to Johto and also because none of Ash's annoying friends behind him don't know what it is neither to make it seem that he was dumb for losing to a little Eevee.

Sayho1234
21st December 2010, 12:45 AM
Seriously, Pikachu versus Eevee and Pikachu loses? Pikachu, who beat a Dragonite a few episodes prior to this battle, lost to an Eevee? Ridiculous, but I guess it's just the typical writers doing their thing. Ash loses a battle then he decides to head out to a new region; it seems generic in a way, like Kanto all over again.. I liked the going away dinner parts of this episode though since Team Rocket was funny. 5/10.

Um, keep in mind here that Pikachu beat a Dragonite WHO WAS ALREADY WEAKENED BY 5 POKEMON prior! Also how can you say that the whole "Ash loses a battle then he decides to head out to a new region" was just the writers doing their typical thing when: 1. The series was only 2 years old at this point & 2. This was the very first time that the writers have ever even used that writing technique to begin with.

G50
9th February 2011, 4:35 AM
This episode was ok... The battle between Eevee and Pikachu was really cool, but too bad Pikachu just had to lose. Eevee was very strong! It did set the stage for them to truely face off in the Johto region, and Ash got to go to that region.

38/100

Caseydia
10th February 2011, 7:03 PM
Eevee was strong but didn't Pikachu finish off a Dragonite and a strong Ditto?

hever
3rd March 2011, 5:11 AM
GARYYY!!!! Eevee is the highlight of this episode for me, so as the epic battle. I really like how Gary saved the day with Team Rocket.

Vernikova
4th December 2011, 9:17 PM
The battle was the only semi-interesting thing in this episode and even that wasn't very interesting. I never cared for this rivalry though since it really sucked until the very end.

Antiyonder
5th December 2011, 11:20 PM
Seriously, Pikachu versus Eevee and Pikachu loses? Pikachu, who beat a Dragonite a few episodes prior to this battle, lost to an Eevee? Ridiculous, but I guess it's just the typical writers doing their thing. Ash loses a battle then he decides to head out to a new region; it seems generic in a way, like Kanto all over again..

Except that Gary is on the same level of experience as Ash, and aside from losing in the Indigo League has been ahead of Ash interms of training.

Now if it was a rookie trainer, then I would agree.

AquaMilotic
10th December 2011, 3:52 PM
Great to see Gary defeating Ash, Gary deserved to win, and he won. However, I missed Gary's limousine and his cheerleading girls. Gary isn't the same without them. Good closure of Orange Islands and Gen I, good start of Jotho and Gen II. 10/10.

Antiyonder
11th December 2011, 3:15 AM
Incidentally, I wonder if the writers gave Gary an Eevee at random or if they were giving a nod to Pokemon Yellow. Heck, until the Johto League, I gave into thinking that he started with an Eevee.

Then again, they might have planned for him to have an Umbreon.

Earthia100
11th December 2011, 3:48 AM
Ah... Gary. He's such a jerk to Ash... however, I have to give him a point for being a good trainer.

Jnmisty
28th January 2012, 12:15 AM
Personally, I rather wanted Ash battle Gary using Chirazard instead of Pikachu. That way he would have pulled a big surprise on Gary.

Blessed
30th January 2012, 6:41 PM
The battle between Pikachu and Eevee was very exciting. I loved how Brock rejoined Ash & Misty and are now going to the Johto region. I LOVE the original trio!

Calamity™
17th February 2012, 5:56 PM
It's Dewgong!
I like that Gary won, and that he's actually being a lot more mature than Ash. Loved Team Rocket's disguise when they randomly intrude on the dinner and start eating everything. And this was one of the more funnier methods of capturing Pikachu! I still want to know what exactly Ivy did to Brock... I'll quite miss Tracey, but I guess Brock was still better than him!

Aquarelle
2nd April 2012, 10:51 AM
When I saw this episode as a little kid, I was probably mad that Gary won the battle against Ash, since I disliked Gary back then. Now though, I don't mind the fact that Ash lost at all. Brock still being depressed over Prof. Ivy was funny to me. I was also glad that Brock decided to travel with Ash and Misty again, I was missing him throughout the Orange Islands.

AquaMilotic
2nd April 2012, 4:50 PM
The battle between Pikachu and Eevee was very exciting. I loved how Brock came back to join Ash & Misty!! I LOVE the original trio.

I agree with every word you said in this thread.

It's Dewgong!
I like that Gary won, and that he's actually being a lot more mature than Ash. Loved Team Rocket's disguise when they randomly intrude on the dinner and start eating everything. And this was one of the more funnier methods of capturing Pikachu! I still want to know what exactly Ivy did to Brock... I'll quite miss Tracey, but I guess Brock was still better than him!

I am also glad Gary won, Ash needed to be put back on earth, Ash shouldn't always win. And I also loved Team Rocket here. And here is my interpretation of what happened between Professor Ivy and Brock:
- Ivy forced Brock to do a lot of chores.
- When Brock expected a kiss for all the hard work (no sex, that's too "mature" for Pokemon), Ivy dumped him. Ivy never was in love with Brock, she just wanted him to do chores.
- Brock got traumatized.

When I saw this episode as a little kid, I was probably mad that Gary won the battle against Ash, since I disliked Gary back then. Now though, I don't mind the fact that Ash lost at all. Brock still being depressed over Prof. Ivy was funny to me. I was also glad that Brock decided to travel with Ash and Misty again, I was missing him throughout the Orange Islands.

I also missed Brock.

7threst
7th September 2012, 10:33 PM
Ah, the last episode before Johto and the official introduction of the 2nd generation. This episode started off strong with the battle between Gary and Ash and I was pleased with the results of the match. Clearly, you can see Gary made a 180 degree turnaround and is much better than he used to be. Also, just as the title said, this is a perfect name for reviving the old rivalry between them too - but just on a more mature way.

After that, they introduced the Johto League and also a continuation of the GS-ball and Brock returning too!

Yes, great ending too this second season!

Brownie
17th November 2012, 12:31 AM
I liked the episode, but you'd expect Pikachu to beat Eevee after taking down a Dragonite, but it didn't even put up much of a fight. I also miss Tracey, glad he achieved his goal, though! I think he's the only character in the anime to do so.

Lucille
10th December 2012, 4:52 PM
I actually liked Eevee beating Pikachu it knocked him and Ash off their high horses from winning the Orange League

Interference
10th December 2012, 4:56 PM
I love how Pikachu beat a Dragonite that knows 10 moves yet it can't win against an Eevee.

Only Gary Mother****in Oak can raise such Pokemon.

Tuskie Tyrant Yoko Kurama
27th December 2012, 6:07 AM
Eevee vs Pikachu was great. I wish Pikachu would have at least done some damage to Eevee. But I guess when Ash brags, he'll surely lose the match. Now, onto Johto. Arceus protect me from these fillers

ArmadaUGS
27th December 2012, 1:07 PM
Incidentally, I wonder if the writers gave Gary an Eevee at random or if they were giving a nod to Pokemon Yellow. Heck, until the Johto League, I gave into thinking that he started with an Eevee.

But in the third episode you can see the Samurai talking about how he lost against all 3 trainers from Pallet town (and see a picture from each one of the battles). The fact that Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander was also picked by someone "that showed up in time" according to Professor Oak. So yeah it was a good thing Squirtle was the first Pokemon. Eevee was probably either there so he could have a Umbreon or like you said maybe giving a nod to Pokemon Yellow.

Overall this was a episode I liked. Brock being back and I also think it was good that Ash learned a lesson by losing to Gary. I always saw Gary as the better trainer but Ash as the better person. Fun thing they actually had a battle cause I remember a episode before Indigo league when they would have had a battle but never had, that made my dissapointed as a kid :P

*~Silver*~
16th January 2013, 1:45 AM

Yeah. They never really told you what he started with until then. I honestly thought he'd have started with Charmander. It just seemed more him, I guess.

They might have planned for Umbreon right away, but I'm not sure. They might have just wanted some sort of new Eevee evolution to be expressed through it, but I guess Umbreon could have been a done-deal even thought it hadn't appeared in the show yet. *Shrugs*

pokedigijedi
24th January 2013, 10:06 PM
I must admit my favorite part of this episode was the battle between ash and gary and the best part about that battle was that gary won proving that he is and always will be the better trainer.
on the downside tracy left he could have become a decent character if the fanbase wasnt made up of bunch of whiners(no offense).

*~Silver*~
25th January 2013, 6:40 AM
I must admit my favorite part of this episode was the battle between ash and gary and the best part about that battle was that gary won proving that he is and always will be the better trainer.
on the downside tracy left he could have become a decent character if the fanbase wasnt made up of bunch of whiners(no offense).

I agree... I always felt like Tracy could have been a good character, but his fan-base was... Yeah... xD
When Ash walked in his house and Brock was there... I was so glad to have him back. xD Tracy was good, but Brock was funnier, he was more into what he was doing. All Tracy really did to prove he was a Pokemon Watcher was draw stuff when the chance to came. Brock was obsessed with his work as a Breeder. xD

J Ken
2nd July 2013, 7:11 PM
The first rival battle in the series. I remember watching this and laughing at Ash losing back when I was a kid. xD

PokemontrainerY
13th July 2013, 7:38 PM
Meh, this episode was boring. There was a battle between Ash and Gary stu in the beginning, but the outcome of the battle was disappointing! Ash's Pikachu can beat a Dragonite, but lose to a Eevee ? That dosen't make any sense. I hate it when the writers overglorify Gary to make Ash look bad, this wasn't a good way to Nice reviving their rivalry in my opinion. Misty was really annoying throughout the episode, I didn't like how she was rubbing Ash's defeat in his face the whole time. She was supposed to cheering him up, not making him feel even worse. -_-

Professor Oak tried to gather information about the GS Ball that Ash brought from Prof. Ivy, but he couldn't find out anything about the mysterious Pokéball. When Ash and co. asked Professor Oak about the GS ball, he didn't gave a positive reponse, which lead Misty to say "If he can’t solve the mystery, then it's no wonder why Professor Ivy couldn’t solve the mystery”. Of course, Misty mentioning of Professor Ivy’s name totally crushed Brock. Geez, I wonder what happened in the Orange Islands that made Brock act like that? Maybe Prof. Ivy rejected Brock's love proposal.... or maybe it's something worse? Oh well, I guess this will be a mystery forever. Seeing Ash wating to compete in the Johto League is was cool, Brock and Misty tagging alone was great too. It's good to see the OS group thinking about traveling together again. While Ash was excited to compete in the Johto league, Professor Oak told him to take the GS ball to Kurt in Azela Town.... because he thinks maybe Kurt could do something about the mysterious Pokéball. Well, it's too bad that the GS ball is another mystery will remain a mystery forever. :(

It was nice of Delia to packing up some things for Ash's next journey. The talk between Ash and Delia was nice too... but sadly Brock interrupted them, shoving Ash aside and grasping Mrs. Ketchum's hands to flirt with her. Ehhh, it was so weird to see Brock grabing Delia's hands and acting like that in front of her. He was so over-eager to impress help Delia that he ran to the shop WITHOUT the shopping list and he even said that after tomorrow she'll be all his!?! Geez, that's just ridiculous. Even Ash admited that it was pretty scary.

Team Rocket were annoying as usual, but at least Tracy got some screentime before Ash and co. heading to Johto. He's one of the few Pokémon characters who actually managed to fulfil his dream, although his dream wasn't as big as Ash's dream to begin with.

Painkiller2001
15th October 2014, 7:16 AM

Oh yeah, that part was hilarious! :)

Glad to see the original gang going out and exploring the Johto region together!

Lorde
1st November 2014, 7:41 AM
Despite the fact that Pikachu's battle with Gary's Eevee irked me a lot, I did appreciate Gary's return at least. He was a lot more mature here than he was back in early Kanto, so seeing Ash's rival return stronger than ever was at least one good thing to come from this episode in my opinion.