PDA

View Full Version : How do you train your team when you start a new game?

theboar
21st March 2009, 7:59 PM
When you start new D/P/P game, you choose a starter, catch and gather your team. The question is How do you start training them (until you beat the champion, if need.)?

1) Train normally (with random EVs, IVs and nature).
2) Look for right nature for your team then train normally.
3) Train with EVs to max first.
4) Check their IVs first before train.
5) With #2 & 3; Look for right nature, then train EVs to max.
6) With #2, 3 & 4; Nature first, check their IVs if need, then train with EVs.

I would like to hear your opinion after vote.
- As for me, I would choose number 5 because it's not hard to train them. And patience is a virtue.

Blivsey
21st March 2009, 8:53 PM
In the past, it's just been No. 1, largely due to the fact that I ignored natures and EVs pretty much entirely.

Gonna change that when I run though Platinum. Number five it is.

77pudding
21st March 2009, 9:24 PM
I am going to train normally though the main game and then ev train with natures and ivs.

BunnieRabbot91
21st March 2009, 9:25 PM
For in game teams I pretty much catch them and train them regardless of their natures or IV's and I don't EV train them often, I only do that with my competitive battling teams.

Zhanton
21st March 2009, 9:57 PM
I never ever EV Train or worry about IVs and Natures (see my sig) because I don't have wi-fi. I just run through the game, normally.

BlitzBlast
21st March 2009, 9:58 PM
I just catch every pokemon I see that I don't have in the Dex and pick a team of pokemon that seem nice.

Afterwards, I use the classic rotation method.

As for EV training, I don't bother to go through all of it.

#Gecko#
22nd March 2009, 3:05 AM
I like trying to look for right or okay natures and then train normally. After that, if I think they're good, I'll use the berries to reset the EVs to zero and EV trained it.

COKTAL
22nd March 2009, 1:00 PM
In a play through, I don't officially "EV Train" my pokemon to the point that they've got 252 in 2 stats and 6 in another. It's more like "Hey, I've got a *insert vitamin name here*. I'll use it on ____". It just seems more fun that way. I've had it where my non-EVed were close to as good as my EVed. But I EV train once I can breed and I've beaten the story.

Visual
22nd March 2009, 1:06 PM
Usually, I just train my Pokemon normally. I am gonna try to catch/SR Pokemons with the right nature and start EV training in Platinum, if that's something possible for me to do. IVs frustrates me, so I am probably not going to bother checking it.

blueorangecar1
23rd March 2009, 2:43 AM
Its always been 1.I dont care about EV training I always fail at it :x Guess what number im going to do for Platinum? Nuber one again and this is the way i'll keep it

Lemonade
23rd March 2009, 3:05 AM
I look for decent natures and train normally from there. Things like IVs and EVs only confuse me, and I usually play on ROMs so no Wi-Fi there.

Archgemini24
23rd March 2009, 3:39 PM
I voted 5. Find a Nature that is not completely hindering on what I want the Pokemon to do, then do some EV training for them. I find that these two are not that hard to do.

IV breeding or ridiculous chain breeding (although I have bred a few moves onto a few Pokemon to save TMs), on the other hand, I just do not have the time or patience for. I guess that puts me between "hardcore competitve battler" and "just throw six Pokemon together I like and completely wing it."

Spirit of Darkness
23rd March 2009, 3:44 PM
I train normally as I find no difference between a good Iv pokemon and a normal one. Natures also don't make that different.

Last Disaster
23rd March 2009, 8:16 PM
I try for a nature that won't damage what I intend to do with the Pokemon (no Mild physical sweepers, Lax special sponges, etc.), then just train normally from there, at least until I'm prepping a team for the E4.

Avrig
23rd March 2009, 9:05 PM
I actually go like number five there. I keep reseting my game until I got starter, which stats and nature are fine to me. Then I EV train it so good as I can for that time. But it's not so big deal, if my starter isn't perfectly EV trained from early beginning. I just want to have fun when I play the story, the reason I do some EV training is because I found training boring, if it's just running to random pokémons. I enjoy the game more, if I plan which kind of training suits for which pokémon.

burlytone23
23rd March 2009, 9:42 PM
I only train them normally since i never include my starters in the killer teams that i make. When i find a pokemon for my team then i start EV training them.

Hoppip
28th March 2009, 1:48 PM
Always normally.Dont really care about nature,iv's,or ev's because it makes other pokemon who arent "perfect" feel like their worthless.Lol i know its just a game but i imagine as if it were real,haha i always feel a bond between my pokemon and meh x3.

Averyy
28th March 2009, 3:37 PM
I usually keep all of my pokemon around the same level and all.. but I just started Platinum and I have a lvl 36 Infernape and then a lvl 24 Gastly.. so I'll have to work on that.

dagon22
31st March 2009, 1:37 AM
I usually go with number one. But I plan on trying to raise a team with good natures and all that.

Dabottle
1st April 2009, 9:46 PM
Number one because Ev training early game sucks, it would make the game too easy and it's more fun. I also will do that in Platinum.

Draknir
1st April 2009, 10:29 PM
I always have and always will just play through it normally, not worrying about EVs, IVs, or Natures. Movesets, however, are a different story.

Larry
1st April 2009, 11:49 PM
I just train normally because the Pokemon I start with aren't the ones that I use for competitive.

Casimir
2nd April 2009, 4:48 AM
I personally just catch a pokemon, train it normally, throw it at the E4 and take them down, box them or whatever and grab a new team with good IVs/Nature and EV train.

Shikyobi
2nd April 2009, 6:19 AM
I usually check for natures first then EV train them completely in-game. If they're legendaries (except for runners) or pokemon I use for competitive battles I check for IVs as well.

Selia
2nd April 2009, 12:29 PM
I picked 1. I just train normally. I don't really care about natures and I only EV train or check the IV's late in the game. But sometimes I SR for shinies and females as starters.

waterballoon
2nd April 2009, 5:02 PM
I'll look for the right nature. Things like EVs and IVs, I would settle that when I start breeding Pokemon.

Hydrohs
3rd April 2009, 2:37 AM
I always just catch Pokemon and train then, when just starting you can't be too picky, and EV training to impossible without another game. Lately I have been taking Nature into account with Pokemon easy to get, if it's my starter I wont bother though xD

But with Platinum I bred a team with good IVs, the right natures and EV trained them and then traded them over. I wouldn't do that for a new Gen though, I want to check out all the new Pokemon, but in this case it made no difference.

burgaz62
5th April 2009, 3:59 AM
I normally do nature and good IV's, so I'll use like 20 pokeballs, and if none of them are good, i reset to before i caught them and catch them again, until i find some good ones.

AzulTheCerulean20
10th April 2009, 4:00 AM
I do number 1. in-game normally, then after the game I start EV training once my desired pokemon hits lvl 90. I don't worry about IV's or natures

Virtuos
18th April 2009, 7:05 AM
i really dont mind ev's when completing the game.

theclaytonator
18th April 2009, 4:09 PM
#2.

I don't have the time for EV training when I got a region to save, although I do care if my turtwig a bit on the naughty side.

You have been Claytonated

WhyteMage
18th April 2009, 5:57 PM
When it comes to a team to run through the story, then natures is as far as I go, and even then I'm a bit lazy.

Although with the introduction of EV-reducing berries, you can fix them up AFTER you've done all the story-related stuff.

foxyman1167
18th April 2009, 6:15 PM
I like to look for the right nature, as I like to put 100% percent into something, and if I use, for example, an Adamant Starmie, the Starmie will be weaker, and I will just hate it.

kirby8933083
18th April 2009, 6:30 PM
I prefer to just do normal training. I wouldn't want to get caught up in natures and whatnot because then it would become an almost OCD thing for me. Plus I'm just too lazy to start to care about things like that now. My team has random natures and it's doing just fine as far as I can see.

FireHead Hank
18th April 2009, 6:42 PM
I restarted my Diamond game only once. The first time I played through, I only bothered about gettin the right nature. When I restartedI wanted to really explore the whole main-story, take my time to look through everything and slowly raise my Pokemon team. I wanted them to have the right nature & I EV trained them, which I dont think is as "hard" or time or time consuming as many of the people here think. You'll battle against wild pkmn and trainers anyway, why not let only the pokemon of your team battle who'll get the needed EV from them? It makes the playthrough more exciting & challenging. After I got to Solaceon Town, I started also IV breeding for my Pokemon which resulted in half of my main story team having 3 flawless IVs in the needed stats (I really like Pokemon breeding).

It was an awesome experience to play through the game the way I did, especially because now, I dont feel any need to restart again, as I enjoyed every little part of the main-story to its fullest.

serebiifreak
19th April 2009, 3:39 AM
Train my starter like no day after tomorrow. I only restart if it has a crummy nature.
I voted for number 1.

zipzap713
19th April 2009, 3:42 AM
I just normally train them. The only thing I really care about is levels, since I don't play competitively. And to do that, I limit my party to 3-4 Pokemon to raise them fast.

joker0187
19th April 2009, 3:48 AM
i dont give a f*ck about EV training or "natures"
what iDO is basically is just level up till i have a great level(65+)
just like the good old days
to hell with EV training and finding the best nature

Disaster_Lord
19th April 2009, 3:43 PM
the last one is my chose, i have got shinnies coz i got several sr...lol...

Golden Pure
20th April 2009, 1:24 AM
Whenever I start a new game, I never worry about my Pokemon's IV's, EV's, natures etc; I play normally. The first time I started EV and IV training my Pokemon was a few months ago in Emerald, for the Battle Frontier there. I wanted a Gold Symbol, so..:p I don't do competitive battling now, but when I finish Platinum I plan on training a specific team for it lol.

Zenotwapal
21st April 2009, 2:43 AM
Until i reach the end of a game, i don't EV train at all.
I go through the game with normal pokemon.

brandyjay
21st April 2009, 2:53 AM
When I train I just train normally once the Elite 4 is beaten I start looking for high IV's. I don't count EV's as that is just time consuming and annoying.

Quilava Kirby
21st April 2009, 3:04 AM
XD For Platinum, a couple days before it came out I bred to get the right natures/abilities/egg moves in my Diamond (ending up settling on a Naive Weavile since I changed my mind on a different pokemon the night before Platinum's release), then traded them over (two still as eggs so they'd listen to my Platinum character) originally planning to EV train immediatly, but I ended up training them normally, then, after the E4, at about Lv 65 I grew a ton of EV reducing berries and EV trained them. So... I'm a mix of 5 and... whichever one was Go for the right natures then train normally I guess.

Profesco
23rd April 2009, 1:31 AM
I'm like Quilava Kirby up there. I breed or soft-reset for appropriate natures and IVs, then play through the game leisurely, paying no attention to effort. I EV train after completing the game's challenges, but rather than begin in the 60s, I wait until my Pokemon are in their 80s or 90s.

I'm just beginning to effort train my Level 94 Rotom now. :p

pokemon special
28th April 2009, 5:44 PM
I always go yhouth the gme ith pokemon that are highst lvl ora pokemon that i like.Stats mean nothing to me,its all about the lvl.

Icing Sugar
28th April 2009, 5:53 PM
I try to get good natures of my pokemon, or at least a neutral nature, but I don't really care about the Ivs. Then I EV them.

Ajiryn
28th April 2009, 6:00 PM
I train normally. Pokemon was meant to be enjoyed, so why not welcome variety into the party?

Besides, once you hit the point past the end of the game, everyone and their mother is going to expect you to spend hours cherry-picking EVs, IVs, natures, and the such. Mix that in with the now-open range of new pokemon to get and use after you've completed the game, and your first team is probably going to be moot.

Ha, I haven't even touched my first team in awhile now that I've got mah' Eevees!! ^_^ ....I think I might have traded off my starter.

He was kinda useless anyways. >_>;;

Infernobat.
28th April 2009, 6:05 PM
i get my pokemon to good lvls ;392;

DoubleJG3288
3rd May 2009, 12:39 AM
I just catch and play. I might on rare occasion check their nature, but I usually just use whatever until I reach endgame.

H3R0
3rd May 2009, 12:45 AM
Before I Just Catch And Train Them.
But Now I EV Train My Main Team.

But Overall, I Just Train Them The Old Fasion Way.

zlxq3000
3rd May 2009, 1:18 AM
I just started training in a new way: after they reach level 5, I level up my pokemon one level per patch of grass. For example, there are three patches of grass between Twinleaf and Sandgem, so by the time I get to Sandgem, all of them are level 8. There are some exceptions, though; I have a Beldum that's a bit weaker than the rest of my team only because it's a pain to level up; I train it by having it use Take Down until it's about ready to faint, then I move on to the next patch of grass and restart from the beginning of my party list, working my way down to Beldum again.

Trainer Emily
3rd May 2009, 12:51 PM
Before then, especially when my first Pokemon cart was the Diamond version, I just catch ones with okay natures, then EV-train them, regardless sometimes of the IVs, although good IVs are more preferrable.

But when I got my Pearl cart, I just sent some perfect-IV'd, good-natured, EV-trained ones to that Pearl cart coming from the Diamond cart, from breeding. But since traded ones starts to obey after getting the Eterna Badge, I'll start using them after getting the latter badge.

And I did the same to Platinum as what I did on Pearl...
I found somebody else to help me transfer those Pokemon from D/P with good IVs (to be precise, perfect IVs on certain stats) and good Natures, and EV-trained to the max (especially sweepers like Gengar and Garchomp).

Xashlei
3rd May 2009, 1:37 PM
I train normally, first run or not. I'm not a hardcore player who makes his/her team invincible, I just want to have fun imagining my natural team existing alongside me on a journey. Also, I just want to mention I like collecting Pokemon. It's a slow progress training so many, but at least I'm enjoying myself.

dubiOUS
3rd May 2009, 2:17 PM
In the past, I just trained normally and then bred and EV trained others after I defeated the League. But in Platinum, I immediately EV trained my Buizel after catching it. EV training so early in the game is very time consuming, so I had to trade a Pokemon over with a Macho Brace and Pokerus to make the process faster. But my Floatzel has better stats than his comrades, which makes up for the time I spent training him... so... yeah...

ElegyCity
3rd May 2009, 7:15 PM
I usually just go through the game normally with random gen specific pokes that I like until I complete the game. After that I go through the process of breeding for the right IV's, natures, and moves, then Ev train for all the pokes I use for wifi purposes.

Darkrai's Nightmare
3rd May 2009, 7:21 PM
I just train my starter up to about 50,then i start training the others.

Alloute
3rd May 2009, 7:24 PM
I train normally, I don't EV train, my daddy can just buy me any EV trained Pokemon^_^

Tabby Catty
4th May 2009, 4:36 PM
Yeah, I just train 'em normally... honestly, if you worry about all of the technical stuff too much, it's just no fun anymore...

DaMa$ta
19th May 2009, 10:17 PM
yo, wtf is this asking? I just train them all evenly

TrainerCasey
19th May 2009, 10:26 PM
I usually go with the flow and just train them by using the Vs. Seeker ALOT

freakyboy05
19th May 2009, 10:26 PM
I really care about natures(just for poffins) EVs or IVs. I just care for EXP and level.

Princess Kilvas
19th May 2009, 10:27 PM
I train normally. Just catch 'em and train 'em. I'll try to get a nature sometimes. But most of the time it's normally.

Rys
20th May 2009, 6:19 AM
I generally go with the most aetheticly pleasing pokemon, while trying to keep a nice variety of types. I also try to catch pokemon whose gender's (I think) suit the pokemon which means I wouldnt want a female Charizard or a male Milotic etc.

Xashlei
20th May 2009, 6:29 AM
yo, wtf is this asking? I just train them all evenly

It means calculating the values of a personality, affecting status growth, IIRC (Natures). Or beating specific Pokemon to enhance one specific stat (EV training). Or, instead of fighting, using the pills that boost stats like Carbos, Zinc, etc. Calculated until the extra status points reach 225. In entirety, that is IV training. If my description is inaccurate, I apologize, I just learned of the concept a few days ago, but not practicing it yet.

80's Rocker
20th May 2009, 7:00 AM
I usually get a decent nature for it then just train the thing. I wont worry about ev's iv's until after the champion is defeated. I usually keep my team 5-10 levels above the next gym leader and maybe my starter 3 levels above the rest.

kavot
20th May 2009, 9:29 PM
I train normally. First I fill up my dex, then I make teams out of the pokemon that I like the most or are the most fun to use.

Beotium
24th May 2009, 11:20 PM
Until postgame I seldom care of Evs, at the beginnig it#s hard to even find that give you the proper Evs..

Thanuist
25th May 2009, 8:00 PM
Until I'm post e4 I don't really care about it. The story mode teams seem to be pretty standard and don't seem to carry over well into competetive gaming, so no point it worrying about it too much. The only thing I'll keep going for is a female starter.

Umbreon-dana
26th May 2009, 6:48 PM
Find the right nature, then train. In my early trainer years, I just caught and trained.

Z a p p 3 d
26th May 2009, 7:08 PM
Always look for a nice nature that fits the pokemon ...
every1 should do that since it's allot more fun!

pokemaster001
26th May 2009, 9:39 PM
I get my starter, two other early guys, the main legendary, and two final guys
all randomly trained

uhhh6677
31st May 2009, 2:01 AM
I randomly train, saving the other methods for wifi.

Thor's Beard
2nd June 2009, 11:27 PM
There's no point doing anything more than just training normally for the story except for maybe getting a half decent nature.

ScorpioStarmie
2nd June 2009, 11:31 PM
i train normally. i do catch a certain gender for each pokemon though~

diablo_200525
2nd June 2009, 11:32 PM
In all my games i have always done option 1. Just to see if i would of done even better at the game

Lucariofan-atic
6th June 2009, 7:46 AM
just in the normal way, and i don't care about EV's, natures or something like that.
yeah, so i choose the 1st one.

Lucazard
6th June 2009, 8:30 AM
Number 1, I dont really care at the start of the game but I brag if I get a good nature straight away.

coolespeon
6th June 2009, 5:18 PM
Read my signature, it explains everything.

Articuno13
7th June 2009, 6:41 PM
I beat the game normally then use my AR afterwards to get perfect pokemon.

Escape Reality
7th June 2009, 7:03 PM
when i first start, i don't worry too much about natures, etc. i just try and get to all around the same level. then, as the story goes on, i'll end up with a stronger pokemon, than the rest, but the others aren't usually too far behind. when i find the stat boosting drinks, i use them on the pokemon who i plan on using for the E4. and i'll usually trade some pokemon over to help, if i feel the levels are too low for my current team.

Thunderstarry
7th June 2009, 8:09 PM
I didn't bother with Natures, Evs or IVs at all until post-Elite 4, when I wanted a decent team to take on the Battle Tower. I found keeping my team's levels higher than the Gym Leaders' was enough to take me through the main game.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
7th June 2009, 8:25 PM
I don't bother with natures, EVs or IVs, I train my pokémon against those in the wild and trainers. Such things aren't needed pre-Elite 4.

TotodileCharizard
7th June 2009, 8:49 PM
I train with #1, I just catch what I need and train them.

tom-tom
7th June 2009, 9:07 PM
i just train normally

Emo_Kirlia
7th June 2009, 9:17 PM
In Platinum, before I did anything, I looked up Torterra on Smogon, the first thing I saw on the list was an "Adamant Swords Dance Torterra" so I was like "cool." and soft resetted my Turtwig for Adamant and good IV's and sent it over to pearl, gave it PkRS and EV trained it, then sent it back to Platinum and just continued on with the story/beat the Elite 4 with only that Torterra. So I just EV train my starter during the storyline and after the Elite 4 I EV Train a full team. Right now I'm only on my second one which is an "Offensive" Gyarados. I'm terrible at strategies so I depend on Smogon for everything... T_T