PDA

View Full Version : ZigZag Zangoose (324)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:12 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/324.jpgZigZag Zangoose!

Heading to Fallarbor City, the gang meet up with their old friend Nicolai who is training his Zangoose, however his Zangoose spots Jessie's Seviper and the age old feud between Zangoose and Seviper starts up with these two. Which one will win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/324.shtml)

Discuss

Chris
23rd October 2004, 6:07 PM
Episode wasn't too badly dubbed. Zangoose DIDN'T keep its original voice, even though it had the same name in both languages. x_X 4Kids needs to make up their minds. Also the Trainer Challenge was STUPID. Torkoal, a Fire-type, is the best choice against a Bug-type. How in the world did they come up with Dewgong aside from it being part Ice and Ninjask being part Flying?

Tamer Zack
23rd October 2004, 6:12 PM
As always I miss the 1st half each 1 of those Pokemon would be good but I would of pick Torkoal just so I can hear it's voice. I was'nt to happy with Zangoose voice it reminds me of a smoker but it was nice to see CrushClaw anime style.

Lindsay
23rd October 2004, 6:15 PM
Filler! Good! Awesome even!

Zangoose & Seviper's rivalry is brought from the smaller screen to the small screen if that makes sense! Nice vicious battle those two had as well. I think maybe Seviper should have won since it and Jessie had much more passion then Nikolai and Zangoose. Oh well~

Speaking of Nikolai~who knew they'd bring back that kigurumi freak? Surprising to say the least o.O

Jessie's personality reallyyyyy has changed now that she has rivals. And it seems she even almost cares for her POKéMON. Got a good laugh out of her saying she wants to tear up Cassidy!

4 / 5

Filler is good. :)

And the TC's aren't stupid, they are interesting and really make ya guess instead of being assbackwardly easy!

Haruka's Swimsuit
23rd October 2004, 6:16 PM
I agree, that "Trainer's Choice" was lame- all three of those PKMN could thwomp a Bug/Flying type. Why do they even bother if they're not going to think it through?

Just out of curiousity, is Zangoose's original voice any higher than the dubbed one? I kept thinking that from the way it looked, Zangoose shouldn't have such a deep voice... I'm glad 4Kids is starting to use Habunake's original voice more often- at least they're trying to do a good job on this show.

Pika Hikari KT
23rd October 2004, 6:16 PM
I really liked this eppie. Now I can understand the title, since zigzagging was an important part of the Zangoose vs. Seviper rematch. Lots of funny quotes; and since I missed the Skitty ep., I finally got to hear the kawaii little thing's voice...looks like it's original voice was kept!^_^(actually sounded like a real cat; that's cool!) The interaction between Jessie and Seviper after the battle was sweet; since most of us would expect her to get really p!ssy, no? And the mock battle...*giggles* The only thing I didn't like was Zangoose's voice.>_<; Great episode; 9/10!

EDIT: BTW; I think I understand the Trainer's Choice. While all three of the choices can beat down Ninjask; Dewgong has the highest Speed of the 3. Torkoal and Nosepass are just too damn slow!

Chris
23rd October 2004, 6:25 PM
Zangoose sounded horrible. I'm quite sure that voice is the same as the Stantler seen in the background of one of the begining AG episodes, Absol's and Ludicolo's voices. Too damn deep. x_X

Gravy
23rd October 2004, 6:38 PM
Zangoose DIDN'T keep its original voice, even though it had the same name in both languages.
Hehe, theres another one to add to the list then ^.^

I'm quite sure that voice is the same as the Stantler seen in the background of one of the begining AG episodes, Absol's and Ludicolo's voices. Too damn deep.
Eh, you forgot to add Shiftry, Electrode, Slugma and Magcargo to that list :p I'm surprised to learn that Ludicolo has that voice though..frightening >_>; I kinda wish someone would upload little voice clips from the original, would be pretty nice to see what they all sounded like~

slysunshine
23rd October 2004, 6:41 PM
I liked Marshtomp. It was pretty cute, and I was happy to see cute little Skitty come out! Nicolai and the shorts thing was funny. It was cool seeing Norman and Caroline. I had no idea Norman hated shorts so much. May and Max's reactions were funny. XD

A lot of battles were in this one, which is a negative for me, but they weren't that bad. I felt like Seviper was going to win even though it was pretty obvious that Team Rocket was going to lose.

I liked the part when James and Meowth ran off without Jessie, and Meowth said the motto for Jessie. :) Speaking of Jessie, I'm really liking her in AG.

Oh, and Ash in Seviper costume VS Nicolai in Zangoose costume was pretty weird. XD

I'll give it 8/10, maybe higher.

Phantom_Bugsy
23rd October 2004, 6:44 PM
FWEE! Nikolai!

I didn't pay too much attention to anything other than Nikolai ^^;; As if that was any surprise. Sexy......*___*

Anyway.

From what I DID pay attention to, it was a good episode. Not enough Nikolai, tho. >> *pounds on the bashers because it's not allowed* :3

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
23rd October 2004, 6:56 PM
This was another high-quality filler:). I loved when Wobuffet carried off Pikachu's cage and everyone was trying to get it back!! It reminded me of "The Wayward Wobuffet'. Good times, good times........Anyway, the battle wasn't really that great, except for the river scene. I did like it though when Seviper did the Bite-Poison tail combo and had its face buried!!! That was funny!! I did like Zangoose's voice, and the part where James was begging for forgiveness from Seviper was 00ber funny!!!!
Overall rating:
9.7 out of 10!!
One of the best fillers in a while.

Chris
23rd October 2004, 6:58 PM
Eh, you forgot to add Shiftry, Electrode, Slugma and Magcargo to that list :p
Didn't mention them since I missed the dubbed versions of the episodes they appeared in for AG. >___>;

Had I access to a program to rip audio, I'd get the voices of the original Pokémon's voices for all to hear. If someone would be kind enough to direct me to something in PM or IM, it'd be appreciated. :s

The one thing I liked about this episode was the actual training involved. I love it when the writers put in these kind of things.

V Faction
23rd October 2004, 7:25 PM
Zangoose with a deep voice sounds like it would be fine to me. And Ludicolo's was actually FUN to hear as a deep voice (sorta like Bea Arthur), much like Camerupt's was. But Absol's.... Yes, completely unfitting and needs to be changed. Now, I haven't heard Zan's actual voice yet (missed the damn episode), but if you look at its Sugimori art, a deep voice sounds like it would be kick ***... if done right of course.

Chris
23rd October 2004, 7:31 PM
A deep voice would fit, but definately not the voice 4Kids uses. And Ludicolo has never had a deep voice in the original. It had a comical Mexican tone to its somewhat-high voice. >.>

pokeplayer984
23rd October 2004, 7:39 PM
I think I know why they made the Trainer's Choice the way they did.

It's becuase they want to keep the voice for Torkoal a surprise, until it makes it's first debute. So they went with the second best choice out of the 3.

Anyways, I saw some of this episode. What I saw was good and all, but it was mostly a battle that was just something of old rivalary.

I did like Zangoose. In fact, it's my favorite Normal type. :) However, I hate it's trainer with a passion. Just drop the disguises and be a normal trainer for crying out loud! :(

Anyways, a decent ep as far as I saw.

Won't be able to give a proper rating until I see it all.

I'll watch it on Friday, then give my POV. :)

V Faction
23rd October 2004, 7:39 PM
And Ludicolo has never had a deep voice in the original. It had a comical Mexican tone to its somewhat-high voice. >.>

...Okay? Voices can be changed successfully and in this case it was. If you'd like to think of Ludicolo having little tortilla-selling Pacho's voice from down the street, be my guest.

>.>e_e@_@>=):-(u.u:P=O(_8^(|)T_TO.O=/

Phantom_Bugsy
23rd October 2004, 7:44 PM
I did like Zangoose. In fact, it's my favorite Normal type. :) However, I hate it's trainer with a passion. Just drop the disguises and be a normal trainer for crying out loud! :(

....If he was a normal trainer, people would complain about how 'OMG, why do we have all these random useless trainers popping up everywhere?!' And they'd just lump him with the random trainers we always get and call it a stupid episode. >>

His uniqueness is adorable, leave the poor thing alone! ; ;

Thriller
23rd October 2004, 7:50 PM
Cool eppie. Seviper was pretty immature as it kept purring. I never knew snakes can purr. I wasn't upset about Zangoose's voice, it was cool.

3.5/5

Geodude
23rd October 2004, 8:18 PM
It's becuase they want to keep the voice for Torkoal a surprise, until it makes it's first debute. So they went with the second best choice out of the 3.

No way. If that was really the reason, they'd simply have used a different Pokemon than Torkoal. -_-

I think the reason they went with Dewgong is that Ninjask can learn Dig (and learns it naturally if you keep it as a Nincada long enough), which is SE on both Torkoal and Nosepass.

Silver Ryu
23rd October 2004, 8:24 PM
Cool ep. Makes me wonder why Zangooses and Sevipers hate each other. It's probably been going on so long now that they don't even remember why it started! Gosh, that thing with Ash in the Seviper costume and Nikolai in the Zangoose costume was FUNNY! Ash looked so stupid! And I love this quote:

(after TR sees Nikolai)
James: Hey! Isn't that the kid from before who was obsessed with his short pants?

XD! This ep was OK, and I give it a 6.5/10

Blue,Too?
23rd October 2004, 8:33 PM
It's pretty obvious why Zangoose and Seviper hate each other. It's because Zangoose is a mongoose like pokemon and Seviper is a snake like pokemon. Mongooses and snakes (well, corbras at least) hate each other.

I think this is a good episode. I laughed at some parts (Meowth replacing Jessie, everyone chasing after Woobufett, Jame's comment about Nicolai). But I didn't like the trainer's choice or Zangoose's voice.

I'd give this episode an 8.5/10

ŁańkaŃ
23rd October 2004, 9:31 PM
Well..a 9.6/10 for this...as i couldn't help laughin since Ash was in a Seviper.

Togemon
23rd October 2004, 10:16 PM
This episode rocked! It had so many good parts, but my favorite part was when Jessie cared so much about Seviper. See, she's not that evil XP
But in my opinion, it was way better than I feel skitty, so I'll give this episode a 9/10.

Robert
23rd October 2004, 11:11 PM
It was another good episode. Team Rocket was actually funny! 0__o Some good battles and humor, but the shorts references were very pointless... Still enjoyed it, though.

Swellow
23rd October 2004, 11:16 PM
I didn't see the Ep. might not afterall since probably can only catch the eps. on Fridays at 4 or during the week at 4 because of Work but I like the Riki-Tiki-Tumbo i believe thing going on with Zangoose and Seviper

Chris
24th October 2004, 1:03 AM
Yeah, Seviper did sound somewhat off today. That's what the get for using two voices on one Pokémon. They should've just kept Seviper's entire Japanese voice since all we really hear it hissing is "Ha ne" in the Japanese version, rather than saying it's full name. At least they kept its comical blooping noises. X3

Caluchu
24th October 2004, 1:25 AM
That was cool!!!!Zangoose Rules!!!!!! Sepiper down!!!!!I saw it today.But at the end I wonder who's gonna win.But the trainers choice was wried.
Anyway,that was good.

Houndoom Master
24th October 2004, 1:54 AM
Brock seemed like too much of a know-it-all. Not that he doesn't always.. Crush Claw looked awesome! The battle was cool, and so was the Seviper-Ash vs. Zangoose-Nicolai. I was almost hoping Jesse would win, because Nicolai annoys me, and Jesse actually cared. Zangoose's voice was too deep IMO. I give it 6/10.

Indigo
24th October 2004, 2:56 AM
A good episode, a good episode. Better than that Skitty episode anyway(don't even get me started).

Pros:
-Zangoose's voice was fine. I didn't even realize how deep it was.
-Ash in a Seviper suit...I rewinded and played that scene again at least three times!
-"I don't care if he likes his short pants, long pants, or underpants."--Jessie. Classic.
-James bowing down to Seviper. Three words: L O L.
-Wobbuffet with Pikachu was great! TR was actually really funny in this episode! Maybe it was the absence of the pointless Giovanni fantasies...
-I'm really glad they went with the game on the whole Zangoose/Seviper rivalry thing. They should do this more often.
-Ash chose the correct Pokémon for the battles this time! Treecko for Marshtomp instead of Corphish or Taillow(of course Pika's ineffective). It just goes to show how much Ash is improving in skill, as well as wisdom.
-Crush Claw...ohhh...*drools*
-Zangoose didn't recover miraculously. Thank goodness for that.
-Jessie was...okay when she lost. You know what's even weirder?...I liked it.

Cons:
-Yeah, the Trainer's Choice bugged me too. I thought I was stupid! ^^;
-I really, REALLY wish Cassidy had come in with a Zangoose instead of Nikolai returning. Frankly I think Nikolai's rather bland even with the costumes, and imagine the rivalry between everyone then! Poor James and Meowth...
-Ash and Nikolai never get to finish their battles! Is that deliberate?

Overall, this one was really good! Few firsts, and just had a nice plot. Overall 8/10, because it had something missing that I can't seem to place.

Chris
24th October 2004, 3:25 AM
I can't think of a time where any Pokémon that was hit by Poison Tail miraculously recovered instantly. o_O Treecko, Sharpedo and Zangoose each had to recover over a long period of time.

Seviper threatening Kojirou was indeed hilarious. x_X As for the rivalry thing, it's not really so much as them being rivals as they keep pushing. Snakes and mongoose are natural born enemies to eachother. o_o

Revolutionary Destiny
24th October 2004, 7:24 AM
I think this was a really good filler episode. One of my favorite parts was when Meowth did the motto with James. After they said the motto, I was thinking about Maddie's (voice of Meowth) comment about the Team Rocket motto in the Pokemon 4ever DVD commentary. He (Or is it she? I'm not sure) said they always mix it up for Eric and Rachael (voice of James and Jessie) but for him it's always "Meowth, that's right!". I thought it was a nice change of pace.

I give this episode a 9 out of 10.

Geodude
24th October 2004, 6:05 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but this ep is also the first time Cacnea has used Sandstorm.

Yellow
24th October 2004, 7:07 PM
I liked this episode a lot. It had a character comeback, and the battle between Seviper and Zangoose was awesome. And I think the only time Jame's Cacnea has used Sandstorm! They could of had Pikachu that time!!

Juputoru
25th October 2004, 2:00 AM
-The Seviper-Ash VS Zangoose Nicholai scene was great.
-Phooey. I wanted to see Seviper win. :/
-The scene after Jessie lost was touching.
-*wonders why 4Kids bothered changing Zangoose's voice*

Chris
25th October 2004, 2:15 AM
Besides the whole good always beating bad thing, I believe the mongoose are usually the victor over the snake considering they eat snakes. >_>;

Akane
28th October 2004, 4:52 AM
This was a very interesting epsiode. I liked it a lot. I just loved Zangoose voice. ^___^
And when Ash and Nicholai battled each other was great. Ash dressed as Seviper, great stuff. And when Zangoose and Seviper was fighting each other, Jessie got into it so much. James and Meowth try to steal Pikachu, and Ash and co try to get Pikachu back. They even interrpt Jessie and Nicholai battle. Jessie got really mad, lol. Ash got Pikachu back though, yay. I also liked when Meowth took Jessie place to recite the motto with James. Great epsiode if you ask me.

V Faction
30th October 2004, 1:41 AM
Finally caught it today.

-Alright, I see what's up with Zangoose's voice. It's the "4Kids Deep Voice", as I am now calling it. I would've liked some edge in it, kind of like....
EDIT: After listening to it again, it DOES have a subtle difference to it. THh voice isn't purely Absol's.

-..Seviper's voice! Hey, I have to admit, I love the mixing of the two different voices. You've got the cool English "Seh-VAIPAR!" and the cute/comical "Bpprt!" purr. If future Pokemon have quirks like that, I'd like to see more voice integration.

-My respect for Seviper grew in this episode. The actual design is amazingly thought out. Seviper is simply a death machine. Oh, and it's big too.

-Nicolai is growing on me. In the Japanese episodes so far, he hasn't shown up again, but I'd like for that to happen. He's gotten enough Character Development now to be the Hoenn Casey. Heck, I'd even be anxious to see if he appears as one of Ash's challengers in the Hoenn League, sporting Zangoose, Swampert, and Linoone no less. Rarely are "Filler Characters" reintroduced, so there's definitely some chance.

-That wacky Wobbuffet! And people say he's gotten stale...

-Hurray for Sandstorm! Too bad it didn't quite work out right.

-Trainer's Choice: I think I'll side with the Speed theory and the Dig hypothesis. It wasn't too long ago that we saw Ninjask. This could be the follow up TC like so many past WtP?'s did.

Pokémon Master Josh
30th October 2004, 10:09 AM
i found this ep quite boring, but that's just me! :)

Silver Fusion
30th October 2004, 10:32 AM
This ep was pretty good and the fight between seviper ash and zangoose nicholai was hilarious.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
30th October 2004, 10:37 AM
i didnt get the trainers choice,torkoal could beat ninjask! good ep! seviper tried to drown zangoose..........9/10

Gravy
30th October 2004, 12:06 PM
i didnt get the trainers choice,torkoal could beat ninjask! good ep!
They could ALL beat Ninjask >.>;

Ohh-kay...despite awful voice-casting/acting on Zangoose, this was actually a really good episode. There was just the right amount of seriousness and humour to make it perfectly balanced, and considering Nikolai makes a return Its not really a filler I suppose.

Jessie and Seviper just plain rocked in this episode. They were the ones who deserved to win the grudge match, not Nikolai (as cool as he is) and Zangoose. This episode just goes to prove that Jessie is a decent trainer, contrary to what many have said in the past, not only due to her impressive battle but also due to the fact that she genuinely understood how Seviper felt. She really does care for her pokémon. That was the highlight of the episode for me.

The rest was also good, and I HAD to laugh at the antics of Wobbuffet in this one. Hehe, that little guy has plenty of comic potential left in him ;D
I seriously don't get why so many people seem to find Nikolai annoying, I think he's an awesome character myself. Certainly better than many filler-type characters we've had over the years and lots of personallity. *waits for him to utter the famous 'I like shorts. They're so comfy' line*
The Ash-viper and Nikolai-goose battle amused me also. Although, biting on someones arm for real was a little ott for a mock-up battle ^^;

Katsuya
30th October 2004, 12:14 PM
XD!

Meowth & James doing the Rocket Motto > Everything

Seviper seemed a hell of alot bigger than normal in this ep. I thought. I wondered why the dub was "ZigZag Zangoose", then I realised it was Nicolai.

MaskedManAbsolkid
30th October 2004, 12:26 PM
It did look cool, but the pokemon change that Nicolai said was making it worse!

MayShuufan
30th October 2004, 12:36 PM
err this was an okay episode but not really enjoyable for me it was a bit funny when Skitty got out of it's Pokeball and started chasing Ash and when Ash & co and James + Mewoth were chasing Wobuffet for Pikachu.
5/10

Kamex
31st October 2004, 1:01 AM
I liked this episode, and how Seviper and Zangoose were chasing eachother down, and wouldn't let anything get in their way of fighting.

Meowth taking Jessie's place was hilarious.

And it was nice to see Nicoli again.

I give this episode 8/10.

Alakazam
31st October 2004, 1:12 AM
I chose Torkoal OR Dewgong on the Trainer's Choice.

Not a bad filler, but I wasn't really fond of Nikolai much, and I never saw the first episode, they where already in Petalburg Forest when I started watching the Advanced Series =/ And I thought Zangoose stood on two legs? But nice filler. 7/10.

Psychic Venusaur
31st October 2004, 2:58 AM
I really enhoyed this episode. I thought it was really interesting.

I loved the fighting between Zangoose & Seviper. Seviper seemed sort of weak when it was constantly attacked by Ash & company, but this ep. made him seem like a powerhouse.

Nicoli (however its spelled) coming back was cool. Now if only people from the first season of Pokemon who said they'd meet Ash again would...meet Ash again.

I give it an 8.5/10

Oh yeah, Trainer's choice should have been Nosepass. Rock is super effective against both Bug & Flying, and Bug and Flying are both bad against Rock. Clue me in if there's any reason the others are better choices

Space Skitty
2nd November 2004, 12:33 AM
Overall a nice episode. It was great to see Nicolai again! I'm getting fond of him. Zangoose and Seviper had a pretty close fight.

.Bambi.
13th November 2004, 10:53 PM
Well, ZigZag Zangoose FINALLY aired in Canada (stupid KidsWB airing 2 episodes every weeks -_-o) and I must say it was better then I expected. It was a very nice filler, good plot, decent battle scenes, funny humor, it was all good! First off, I LOVED Seviper in this epi! He's such a badass! It was funny how he was intimidating Team Rocket (well except for Jessie of course) OH! favourite quote!

*Seviper runs away*
Meowth: Come back here ya overgrown Caterpie!
Seviper: *turns around enraged and Poison Tails Meowth*
Meowth: *flying through air and hits James* Cant ya take a joke?!

And then when James was bowing to Seviper like it was his master, lol! Funny thing was Skitty. Her and her antics! Then everyone was trying to catch her! But I did like the battle between Seviper and Zangoose, it was good. I loved when Seviper wrapped around Zangoose and choked it and then Zangoose bit Sevipers skin and it let go....nice move! I wish Seviper had one though...the curses that come with being a bad guy *shakes head* But that whole Zigzag thing was cheap and overused. Oh and Zangoose's Dub Voice? http://www.serebiiforums.com/newforums/images/icons/icon13.gif Yup, it was atrocious! WAYYYY too deep! :o Oh! Another funny part was when Meowth was Jessie in their motto *laughs* also wasn't this Cacnea's first Sandstorm? (correct me if I'm wrong) What I was really surprised about was when Nikolai used Zigzagoon....that Nikolai may just be the ticket to a debut of Linoone in the FAR future. Lastly, that Crush Claw was AWESOME! It was too cool....man...why cant the game animation be more like THAT!

http://animedna.homestead.com/files/zangoosebreakclaw.gif

Overall I give this a 9.5/10, they really showed the Zangoose/Seviper rivalry well...and it was just a great episode.

Oh and about the Trainers Choice, yes, I chose Torkoal but I didn't think that would be the right answer. If you haven't noticed they NEVER choose a Pokemon that hasn't debut yet because it would spoil what it would sound like for future episodes....its just the way it is O.O;;;

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
14th November 2004, 11:39 PM
BUT, Nosepass has made its debut. It could easily have been Nosepass. AND, they chose torkoal a few epis later as the Trainer's Choice, so why not now? I, personally, think they chose Dewgong because it is the only one with a hint of a chance of outspeeding Ninjask.

SC~ out

Kanto Trio
24th December 2004, 3:49 PM
LOL, this episode was very funny not mention good. As for why I like this episode it's because it brings one of the game elements about Zangoose and Sevipers rivalry which was pretty nice. However, I think they also should of explained why Zangoose and Seviper are natural born rivals since that would of been nice. It's was also funny because of the part When Ash tachi chases Wobbeffett around for the Pikachu. It was also funny when James and Meowth were reciting the motto without Jessie. Onerall this was a great episode with quite a bit of humor.

Rating: 9.5/10 - another great episode but they should of went more in depth about why Seviper and Zangoose are rivals

Torkoal Stu
29th December 2004, 7:40 AM
Well..a 9.6/10 for this...as i couldn't help laughin since Ash was in a Seviper.

that was funny and when meowth did the motto with james was cool!!!!!

Batdude
29th December 2004, 5:34 PM
I saw this for the first time today and loved it!! Seviper was on top form, and Zangoose was pretty cool.

James and Meowth should just blow off Jessie and go on as a duo... James is the backbone of the whole team. XD

One thing I found odd, that was probably already explained by someone else, was that odd purring/cooing noise that Seviper made. Is that it's Japanese voice left in, or just some sort of noise it makes because it's near a Zangoose?

Anyway. I liked it, so 8.5/10.

Juputoru
29th December 2004, 7:04 PM
One thing I found odd, that was probably already explained by someone else, was that odd purring/cooing noise that Seviper made. Is that it's Japanese voice left in, or just some sort of noise it makes because it's near a Zangoose?
It's part of its Japanese voice left in.

Torkoal Stu
29th December 2004, 7:47 PM
Oh and about the Trainers Choice, yes, I chose Torkoal but I didn't think that would be the right answer. If you haven't noticed they NEVER choose a Pokemon that hasn't debut yet because it would spoil what it would sound like for future episodes....its just the way it is O.O;;;

not ture once they showed torkoal on a trainer choice(before debut) and it was the right answer but that happends most of the time.

Jesse GS the II
29th April 2005, 10:15 PM
James and Meowth doing the motto alone = pure hilarity. I normally don't like the dub performances of the Rocket-Dan motto, but this one was hilarious.

The credits whizzed by too quickly for me to see which animation studio handled this episode (it didn't look like Team Ota - no thick lines or exaggerated faces), but whoever it was, I was VASTLY impressed. They've taken pages out of the Chuck Jones book of subtlety. Seviper doesn't just wiggle, he slithers. There's a little bounce to Cacnea's body right before he spins into a Sandstorm. When Ash falls on Meowth, the added weight makes his arm twitch a little. If every episode were animated with this level of fluidity and detail, I'd be one happy animation geek.

Medea
30th April 2005, 12:03 AM
Just finished watching this episode again, I thought it was pretty damn funny when Jessie was tearing up that pic of Cassidy.

Korobooshi Kojiro
30th April 2005, 12:12 AM
I love it when Jessie yells STOP, and everyone just pauses in place.

Oh, and di Seviper acutally bite Zangoose in the original, because they showed Seviper lunging at it, then Zangoose gleamed in Pain, but you only saw his face.

xyzman123
5th May 2005, 1:39 AM
That battle Ash and the other kid had was freaky. :rolleyes: Other than that, this episode explained why Seviper and Zangoose are opposites in the game.

xyzman123
5th May 2005, 1:40 AM
That battle Ash and the other kid had was freaky. :confused: Other than that, this episode explained why Seviper and Zangoose are opposites in the game.

Geki
30th August 2005, 11:42 PM
Great filler episode, Nicolai was way cooler then the last time they met. Zangoose VS Seviper was the best, as well as Treecko VS Marshtomp!!

wobbanut
26th September 2005, 9:12 PM
If "Ignorance is Blissey" is my favorite Jessie episode, this is definitely a close second. I just love the way that she's determined to battle her Seviper against Nicholai's zangoose for honorable reasons, not just because of a fight. She was really great in this episode. :) I also liked the way zangoose jumped into the bushes after Seviper and scared the heck out of Team Rocket. LOL :D Hearing another motto with just one human member of Team Rocket was interesting too.

Overall, great episode. 8/10

Pokemonger49777
1st November 2006, 10:16 PM
I thought the part with ash and that other guy in the seviper and zangoose suits. They looked like morons!

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 9:26 AM
This was a pretty good episode. It's interesting to see Pokemon hate each other by nature. It's rather weird but real cool.

(s.i.e)
27th January 2009, 3:24 PM
i find it strange why zangoose & seviper hate eachother, it's like a gangwar without a reason between those two-_- anyway i liked the episode.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:36 PM
Its a nice episode, Seviper is my fave of the too...
its always cool to see Zangoose and Seviper

Armaldo48
4th January 2010, 2:57 PM
Seviper, Zangoose, I both like them. That's why I like episodes like this.

8.5/10

Lorde
6th January 2010, 1:08 AM
Why did they have to show Nicolai again? Just so he could disappear altogether?

It was a good way to introduce the rivalry between Seviper and Zangoose I suppose. But it seemed rather bland since we had to deal with Nicolai's antics and his fursuit.

It was almost Filler in quality but at least Jessie's Seviper got some character development. 3/10

Ash-kid
13th January 2010, 11:54 AM
Nicolai was great, I really loved to see him again.

And Marshtopm was great!

9/10

Willow's Tara
4th May 2010, 8:27 AM
It was an interesting episode, but they seem to completely blame Seviper when Zangoose is the one who jumped into the bushes. If it wasn't for Lucy's Seviper you would think they believe that all Seviper are bad. Anyways it was still interesting. Jessie was pretty good in this one trying to fight for Seviper and trying to let it win. I like it when one of the TR ignores the other two when those two are trying to steal Pikachu (Like Jessie and her contests, this episode kinda not to mention James in the Pokeringer and Meowth in that Balloon contest)

Willow's Tara
4th May 2010, 8:27 AM
It was an interesting episode, but they seem to completely blame Seviper when Zangoose is the one who jumped into the bushes. If it wasn't for Lucy's Seviper you would think they believe that all Seviper are bad. Anyways it was still interesting. Jessie was pretty good in this one trying to fight for Seviper and trying to let it win. I like it when one of the TR ignores the other two when those two are trying to steal Pikachu (Like Jessie and her contests, this episode kinda not to mention James in the Pokeringer and Meowth in that Balloon contest)

saar
6th July 2010, 1:23 PM
I wonder why Marshtom hasn't been used VS Seviper? With the combination Zangoose-Marshtopm, they would have won pretty easily. However, Zangoose itself gave up a good fight.:)

KGB13
9th August 2010, 8:04 AM
Hahaha! I was so glad to see Nicolai again, I always liked him and his quirky ways. ^_^

I was also glad to see Zangoose because I like it, and it's battle with Jessie's Seviper was enjoyable.

Overall, this was a good episode.

G50
2nd March 2011, 11:15 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see the rivalry between Seviper and Zangoose really displayed in this episode. It was cool seeing Zangoose for the 1st time. I liked the ZigZag strategy to avoid Zangoose's attacks. It was cool to see a Mashtomp in this episode. Ash and Nicolai both being in Seviper/Zangoose comments was very funny.

21/100

G50
2nd March 2011, 11:15 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see the rivalry between Seviper and Zangoose really displayed in this episode. It was cool seeing Zangoose for the 1st time. I liked the ZigZag strategy to avoid Zangoose's attacks. It was cool to see a Mashtomp in this episode. Ash and Nicolai both being in Seviper/Zangoose comments was very funny.

21/100

dainswfc
13th April 2011, 7:35 PM
for trainers choice dewgong is ice type and ninjask is flying type and i think ice beats flying and the part when ash and the other guy were versing each other in the costumes was really funny

9/10

Archangel Armada
23rd June 2012, 12:57 AM
Really fun episode!! ^_^ Enjoyed greatly watching a Zangosse vs Seviper battle. It had its funny moments as well, like Skitty chasing Ash while he was dress as Seviper, and Ash falling on top of Meowth. ^_^

Vernikova
24th June 2012, 3:44 AM
It was pretty cool for Jessie to actually care about Seviper's problem in this episode instead trying to catch Pikachu. The return of the knickerbocker kid was annoying. I don't like him at all and his knack for changing into different Pokemon costumes is unappealing for lack of a better word.

7threst
28th September 2012, 9:24 AM
I did like this episode and seeing this whole rivalry between Seviper and Zangoose. Nicholai isn't the most interesting character, but he was better than his arrogant form a while ago in my opinion.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
28th September 2012, 6:05 PM
Zangoose VS. Seviper was a great storyline here. It's too bad Kids WB didn't promote it as if it were a major college football rivalry game.

AquaMilotic
5th October 2012, 6:30 PM
1.000th post!

Seeing Nicolai again was fun, he's a nice character, I liked his earlier appearance, early in the first AG season. I also liked how the writers included the Zangoose vs. Seviper thing in the anime. It was also nice to see Nicolai's different costumes again. 8/10.

zhixun
20th May 2014, 11:49 AM
It was pretty cool for Jessie to actually care about Seviper's problem in this episode instead trying to catch Pikachu. The return of the knickerbocker kid was annoying. I don't like him at all and his knack for changing into different Pokemon costumes is unappealing for lack of a better word.

I think she cares about Habunake because she is in similar situation with Yamato as she said. Great episode in general especially when Satoshi dressed in a Habunake costume in order to train Zangoose to improve its battling skills.

Painkiller2001
3rd November 2014, 3:32 AM
Interesting to see the rivalry between Zangoose and Seviper brought to life in the show. :)
Neat to see Nickolai again.

Kind of a small ting to like and take extreme notice to, but I find it that raspberry-like noise Seviper makes sometimes super adorable. :)

Lorde
28th November 2014, 12:26 AM
I was surprised that Nicholai's Marshtomp lost to Ash's Treecko; type disadvantage or not, an evolved Pokemon liked Marshtomp should've beaten Treecko imo. Anyway, for once I was actually rooting for Team Rocket since I disliked Nicholai's Zangoose and basically the species in general and I wanted Jessie's Seviper to emasculate it. Sadly, Zangoose won.