PDA

View Full Version : Maxxed Out! (325)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:13 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/325.jpgMaxxed Out!

Heading to Fallarbor City, the gang meet up with a trainer called Max who looks identical to Max. He is having trouble with his Surskit. However Max doesn't like or trust Max. Team Rocket have their eyes set on Max's Surskit. Can Max & Max protect the Surskit and overcome their differences?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/325.shtml)

Discuss

Yellow
27th October 2004, 5:23 AM
I am looking forward to this episode. I can't wait to see Max's twin. Does anyone know if he will have the same voice as Max?

psilocybin
28th October 2004, 12:52 AM
I am looking forward to this episode. I can't wait to see Max's twin. Does anyone know if he will have the same voice as Max?

I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it'll be different, like in the original.

I'm so psyched to see the dub of this. ^^

Chris
30th October 2004, 4:19 PM
So far, the dub seems okay at best. Masato (older one) sounds pretty good. o_O Once again, Eric Stuart feels the need to shout out all of James' lines and over exaggerate them. Surskit doesn't keep its Japanese voice due to different names. The Trainer Challenge just became ridiculously easy and is different from the other ones ("Which one of these Pokémon evolves into Lombre?").

LuauGirl15
30th October 2004, 4:34 PM
I loved this episode! Max and Max quarreling in the beginning was pretty funny, and so was Skitty messing up Jessie's hair!

Did anyone else think that Jessie looked like Samara Morgan (from the Ring) at the end when she tried to grab Surskit? Why do all Japanese or Japanese-based shows and movies have a freaky girl with hair over her face, lol!

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
30th October 2004, 4:38 PM
This episode was great!! Surskit was adorable, as was Skitty. I liked Max 2 as well.

Overall rating:
8.8 out of 10!!
A great filler, and perhaps it will rival it's successor(Pros and Con Artists) in quality!!

CyberCubed
30th October 2004, 4:39 PM
Ahahha, Jessie stole the show in "Maxxed Out".

In every episode where Jessie's hair gets damaged in some way she goes nuts, she almost crushed them all with a giant hammer.

And Skitty is really awfully cute. I can see now why they wanted to market Skitty with May, they make an awesome team.

Suskrit and the Max clone were alright too, and I liked how May tried to get them to stop arguing.

And Jessie almost slammed May with a hammer! The nerve of her. :p

The Trainer Challenge just became ridiculously easy and is different from the other ones ("Which one of these Pokémon evolves into Lombre?").

Not really, this isn't the first time they did an evolution one. We've seen them do this 2 or 3 times before with "which pokemon does this evolve into"

V Faction
30th October 2004, 4:41 PM
Do doo do do doo...

-I'm surprised ETR liked older Max's voice. I guess you haven't heard the "Ritchie" voice in a while. Even though there was some attempt to make it sound Maxish, by the end of the episode it was the same old-same old.

-Trainer's Choice was fine. The REAL highlight of it was seeing Lombre. If you look at any of the TC's, they're all easy, so difficulty shouldn't be called into play. Rather, we need to look for any of the surprising ones, that tell us 4Kids is being challenged to think like a Pokemon player.

-Gotta love Seviper.

-The Episode, sadly, had a very Johtoish vibe to it. That's been there since the Day it debuted, so I'm not holding that against the dubbers. Surskit helped a little (or worsened the situation, depending how you look at it) and it was fun seeing Water Pulse again. And we can't forget the motif of the entire Episode: having two Maxes.

-I'd like to add that Jessie has some really big issues.

Houndoom Master
30th October 2004, 4:41 PM
Surskitt's voice sounded cute! I put on closed captioning and I saw the Max that wasn't May's brother was actually named Maxx, with two X's, which explains the title. The episode was hilarious, especially Jessie! The Trainer's Challenge was stupid. I mean, really! How could Electrike evolve into Lombre? Overall, I give it 7/10.
EDIT: I forgot to add that Water Pulse looked cool! I don't know if it has ever been shown in another episode, but that was the first time I saw it.

Chris
30th October 2004, 4:50 PM
-I'm surprised ETR liked older Max's voice. I guess you haven't heard the "Ritchie" voice in a while. Even though there was some attempt to make it sound Maxish, by the end of the episode it was the same old-same old.
Yeah, I'm suprised myself. o_O; I hadn't heard Richie's voice used in a while and they didn't make him sound too much like every filler boy that we've seen in Johto. At some points you could tell it sounded like an older Max, but then it went downhill by the end of the episode.

And I wasn't aware of the previous evolution questions. >_>; I probably missed those episodes in English. But either way, those were terribly easy. You'd figure it'd be a little tougher on the kids considering it's called Trainer Challenge.

V Faction
30th October 2004, 5:08 PM
And I wasn't aware of the previous evolution questions. >_>; I probably missed those episodes in English. But either way, those were terribly easy. You'd figure it'd be a little tougher on the kids considering it's called Trainer Challenge.

Advanced Challenge.

Trainer's Choice.

No where does it say it HAS to be challenging.

slysunshine
30th October 2004, 6:46 PM
The other Max is spelled Maxx? Cool!

Sadly, I overslept and only saw the last five minutes of this episode. I only saw Max and Maxx as friends. I loved May and Skitty and Surskit was cute too!

Lindsay
30th October 2004, 6:50 PM
Johtoish my butt. Considering Max finally got a spotlight episode and some development for the first time since the Jirachi movie I took this episode as a great one!

Also this helped develop the PKMN world into a little more realistic one by showing two people can share the same name which hasn't really been touched on or at least not made a focus. (Here's to hoping for some OI Drake reference in the seaman episode)

Jessie was majorly o.O At least the writers are consistant with her hair obsession. Scyther and Snubbull also made her batty from messing up her hair in the past heh!

The two Maxs were great and similar heh! Wonder if they'll save that character design for an old Max in the future? Anyway I'd say each of them were great and I'm just left wondering what Max's first PKMN will be. Better be a good one since his now stated goal is to become a gym leader!

Surskit as a cutie was just icing on the cake.

4 / 5

Yay for Max!

Railith
30th October 2004, 6:56 PM
I was hoping the older Max would be some kind of time traveling elite trainer trying to warn his past self about some plot on his life. Instead we get an average pokemon episode, it wasn't bad I just wanted time travel.

Chris
30th October 2004, 7:10 PM
Sadly, this IS abit Johto-ish. The whole idea of the plot of the episode, the basic filler character of the week with a Pokémon that alot would consider to be weak, and the fact that nothing that contributed to the story really happened. Sounds like the general Johto filler to me.

Lindsay
30th October 2004, 7:13 PM
The Max haters are out in full force but I'll just ignore them and focus on this.....

I hope Skitty popping out of its Pokeball at random intervals doesn't become a running gag. With Wobbuffet, it's funny. With Skitty, it's not.

You're right. With Wobby it is funny.

With Skitty it's cute. Slight difference but it works for me!

Sadly, this IS abit Johto-ish. The whole idea of the plot of the episode, the basic filler character of the week with a Pokémon that alot would consider to be weak, and the fact that nothing that contributed to the story really happened. Sounds like the general Johto filler to me.

Oh sure learning of Max's life goal among other things doesn't count at all.

Of course the people call this Johtoish are the ones who flamed me for saying the awful Misty episodes were Johtoish.

I'll just take this brand of bias with a big sack of "riiiiiiiight...." :rolleyes:

psilocybin
30th October 2004, 7:21 PM
>w< This episode was so cute~! I really don't mind filler episodes. Not at all.

Though Maxx's voice was abit odd to me at first, prolly 'cause he was trying to be tough or something.
It was amusing to watch them argue.

Andand, Surskit! T'was adorable. As well as the Maxes.

Er.. Forgive me if my post is incoherent. I'm just abit out of it.

The Big Al
30th October 2004, 7:33 PM
Beware of Jessie on a day hair day.

Was waiting for Brocka nd Ash to show up in a wedge-bot and duke it out with TR Battle Bots style. I would have been double over laughing.

Revolutionary Destiny
30th October 2004, 7:54 PM
DEFINITELY beware of Jessie on a bad hair day. You obviously don't want Jessie after you! Anyways, I thought this was a pretty good filler. It did feel a little like the Johto fillers, but overall it was pretty good. And I personally think that Jessie looks good with her bangs that she had towards the end after she fell in the water. I give this episode a 8 out of 10.

AJW73
30th October 2004, 8:22 PM
Did anybody catch the LOTR reference with Jessie going "Must have the Surkit!" like Gollum? That, and the mecha mallet were the highlights of this episode. Also, Skitty was too cute for words.^v^

pokeplayer984
30th October 2004, 9:44 PM
Okay, I will confess that when Jessie turned all zombie-like on them, it did kinda creep me out, and I could for once accept Jessie as a real villian.

Jessie: *acting like a zombie*I must have Surskit!

0_0

To think, all she needed was a hair makeover to make her seem like a real villian. :)

Anyways, I found it kinda funny that Max and Maxx got angry at eachother for having the same name. Also, I wouldn't mind if someone had the same name as me. I really wouldn't care in the end. It was no big surprise that the writers were eventually going to use a name again. I mean, you would eventually run out with different names, right? :)

Anyways, good ep. and pretty funny. Jessie showed her evil side for once. :)

I give it, 8/10. :)

Jesse GS the II
30th October 2004, 9:53 PM
Did anyone else think that Jessie looked like Samara Morgan (from the Ring) at the end when she tried to grab Surskit? Why do all Japanese or Japanese-based shows and movies have a freaky girl with hair over her face, lol!

You know, I'm lookin' at the framegrabs for this episode, and you're right. She even comes out of the water the way the little girl came out of the well. Perhaps this is a move towards more satirical movie references that kids might not get at first...

Togepi Trainer
30th October 2004, 9:59 PM
I LOVED this episode, i think Jessie was pretty with the hairlocks on the side of her head.

Pika Hikari KT
30th October 2004, 10:04 PM
Wow; Jesse was EVIL in this episode! Scyther, Totodile, Snubbull, and now Skitty have messed up Jesse's hair...which Pokémon will be next to do it?:p Surskit had a cute voice; as well as being just plain cute!(Don't forget Skitty, who was also her usual kawaii self) I didn't realize Maxx had the Ritchie voice; probably because no one had it last season(at least I don't think so). Trainer's Choice was average; I actually got it right this time!(Geodude>Magneton)^_^ My rating is 7/10

Keeper of Fire
30th October 2004, 10:10 PM
I think Jessie looks better when her hair is wet. But she is scary.

PDL
30th October 2004, 11:08 PM
yep, as this episode confirms... Jessie is psychotic, this episode, and the one before it were excellent for Jessie's character :)

The Big Al
31st October 2004, 12:38 AM
Yeah, she nearly killed Seviper for chopping off her hair. Actually, I think letting her down in front would work for Jessie, it looks good on her. Also, if she doesn't want things screwing around with her hair, she should but it in a bun.

Pika Hikari KT
31st October 2004, 1:46 AM
Oops; I knew I forgot one!:p (and it was Jesse's own Pokémon, too!>_<)

Psychic Venusaur
31st October 2004, 2:16 AM
I think Jessie looked cool with her hair wet on the sides.
This episode was fairly interesting, nothing extremely special for a filler, but it was pretty funny. I'll give it a 7/10
Kinda weird how Max & Max had the same names, looked so similar, and yet weren't related. It's nice that Max got a new friend.

Hales
31st October 2004, 2:42 AM
Actually Seviper wasn't hers at that time she pummeled him to oblivion *giggles at the memory* it took James and Meowth to snap her out of it and tell her to catch him (best scene of that episode).

Can't wait to see Jessie lose it again!

Indigo
31st October 2004, 2:51 AM
Meh. It was okay, I suppose. I'm not the biggest Max fan in the world, but I did like the other Max...I thought he was kinda cute, in a childish Hoenn character/Max/Ash kind of way. But I did see the Ritchie similaity...and...yuck. ><

Jessie is HILARIOUS! That was great! Now this is Team Rocket! And I agree, without Jessie this episode would have bombed.

I'm a sad Max-disliker, so I won't rate this episode due to my bias.

Chris
31st October 2004, 5:53 AM
Hm. Anyone else notice that they've started having Foretress' Pokéball become a Fast Ball as it originally should have been again? They were making it and Corsola coming out of a normal Pokéball from time to time. Good to see they weren't lazy about it. >.>

Pokémon Master Josh
31st October 2004, 11:23 AM
I liked the way Meowth said girl: "Goyle!"

lol

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
31st October 2004, 11:33 AM
good ep! skitty was insane and jessie's hair obsession! 8/10

Sharpshooter
31st October 2004, 12:55 PM
Decent episode, I still find the Team Rocket motto the most interesting part of it, and that isn't saying alot!

Very little of Ash and Pikachu, which is a good thing, we have enough of Ash being the hero in Gym battles, having him the hero in fillers would be killing it.

But I did see the Ritchie similaity...and...yuck. ><

That's because it was the same voice actor who does Richie! I've now heard Richie's voice recently in "What you seed is what you get" "Let Bagons be Bagons" "Maxxed Out" and there a few others I can't remember. But it seems to be an additional voice every episode, it's getting annoying please stop it....

Alakazam
31st October 2004, 1:00 PM
Jessie's gone Mad!!1!!! XD. Wonder if she'd like Skitty if she DID catch it. Max's were good, and Surskit was nice. I can say this though, Meowth had the stupidest plan ever!

Katsuya
31st October 2004, 2:07 PM
It was weird in the way it was more based on Jessie and Surskit then the two Maxes IMO.

Blazing Charmander
31st October 2004, 5:23 PM
The episode was ok sorta, but it isn't one that kept me interested all the way through. There were some hilarious scenes though.

I thought it was funny when Skitty messed up Jessies hair and she went wild. You've really got to laugh at those parts. I hope he tradition carries on.

I still like it how Skitty lets itself out of its Pokeball like Psyduck. I'm finding it to be on of my favourite Pokemon.

I didn't really like the other Max really. Then again, i'm not really a fan of the original Max anyway, but it was ok.

Overall Rating: 7/10 (Could have been better, imo)

Yellow
31st October 2004, 6:41 PM
This episode was okay. I didn't really like it, but it wasn't bad as some of the Johto fillers.

Dayberie
31st October 2004, 6:44 PM
The only good part about this episode was Skitty ruining Jessie's hair and her going on the war-path. Skitty is soooooo kawaii! Chasing her tail then falling asleep! lol!

Bayleef
31st October 2004, 8:56 PM
The only thing I really liked about this episode was Jessie's rampage after Skitty ruined her hair, and the Surskit. I'd say that other than that, it was pretty dull. :/ 6/10.

Phantom_Bugsy
31st October 2004, 9:06 PM
I forgot if I replied or not, but....

This ep.....was one of the most adorable things I've ever seen in my life. XD

Max2 was ADORABLE. I wanted to hug him. And Tara Jayne has the BEST little-boy voice ever. >> Well, actually, second to Mona Marshall.

Woot. :3 10/10.

Heracross
31st October 2004, 9:13 PM
This episode was ok, but overall it was very Johto-ish as other people have said. Though it was good that they took another episode to focus on Max, who has for the most part been ignored recently. The very first thing I noticed about this episode as I was watching it was Nurse Joy's voice. Maybe her normal voice actor wasn't available or something, because that was definately not her normal voice. That just really bugged me for some reason. Jessie's hair obsession was pretty funny, but they just used that gag back in the episode when she cought Seviper so they probably should have waited a bit more before they did it again. Not a bad episode, but not really a good one either.

Kamex
31st October 2004, 10:41 PM
This episode was ok, but overall it was very Johto-ish as other people have said. Though it was good that they took another episode to focus on Max, who has for the most part been ignored recently. The very first thing I noticed about this episode as I was watching it was Nurse Joy's voice. Maybe her normal voice actor wasn't available or something, because that was definately not her normal voice. That just really bugged me for some reason. Jessie's hair obsession was pretty funny, but they just used that gag back in the episode when she cought Seviper so they probably should have waited a bit more before they did it again. Not a bad episode, but not really a good one either.
I knew it was only a matter of time before Nurse Joy's voice would change, and here it is now. I knew because Mai Valentine's voice (from Yu-Gi-Oh!) changed, and I found that her voice actor left 4kids because she wanted more money or something (that is NOT confirmed, at least not for me)... Um, and I already knew Nurse Joy and Mai had the same voice actor by listening. I don't know if the voice actor will ever come back, though. Too bad, after so many episodes Nurse Joy's voice is gone, not to mention other voices like Cassidy's, is gone. Maybe forever...

Anyway, this episode was alright, but it wasn't quite as interesting as I had hoped. It was wierd how no one mentioned (in the episode) that Max and Maxx looked nearly identical.

Jessie going crazy because of her hair being ruined, with the hammer mech, and coming out of the water like some kind of monster was scary, and that made the episode better.

I give this episode a 7/10.

Togemon
1st November 2004, 4:55 AM
I have mixed feelings for this episode. I really didn't like the Max parts, but Like others said, Jessie rules this episode! It's great to see one of my characters have something like that happen to them. But then on the other hand... NURSE JOY'S VOICE! Maybe I'm biased toward the old voice. but the other voice suited her perfectly, this voice was iffy... i guess I have to see more episodes with teh new voice before I fully judge it...

Space Skitty
2nd November 2004, 12:47 AM
I personally liked this episode a lot. Maybe it has something to do with May & Max having pretty big parts. Skitty, again, was CUTE! Surskit was pretty adorable too. Jesse was funny but mostly creepy. XD!

Caluchu
2nd November 2004, 1:51 AM
THAT EPISODE WAS MY FAVE!!!!!The other max is fine,Itr's cool that they get along now.YAY!!!!And the trainers choice was fine.
Skitty so cute!!

Poor jesse,bad hair day,ehuhuh.

Nice.:)

Shiny May
12th November 2004, 1:16 PM
a good ep. The fights between Max and Max was good. The dub voice of the second Max is also good and you could clearly hear the difference. I was afraid that the voices were going to be the same.
I also like the way Surskit looks and how May is in the middle of two Max's
And the Skitty popping out of the pokeball is sweet too !! :D
A good episode 9/10

wobbanut
12th November 2004, 7:19 PM
I just watched this episode again yesterday. I have to admit, Jessie was pretty interesting to watch in this episode. I was just as scared as all the characters were on-screen when Jessie came storming out of the lake after getting doused. LOL

Maxx/Max2 was a bit annoying, but I like that he and Max became friends by the end. I also liked seeing the twerps get blasted off for a change, that was different. :D

Geodude
20th November 2004, 9:27 PM
I'm watching YTV now and it's airing this episode...I dunno if it's the first time or not.

I think Jessie was having fun with the "monster rising from the lake" bit...it was funny...and then Skitty owning her with Doubleslap after. :D

~*Aurora Wish*~
22nd November 2004, 4:17 AM
This was too funny! First Max and Max fight, Skitty messes with Jessie's hair(A Scyther cut her hair once), And then, they have to fight team Rocket!

xyzman123
5th May 2005, 1:51 AM
:confused: wtf? Thats all I can say.

zim
20th May 2005, 4:23 PM
Its a bad episod. I hav see it and i hate that episod!.

pokémasta125
1st July 2005, 8:31 PM
I loved this episode! Max and Max quarreling in the beginning was pretty funny, and so was Skitty messing up Jessie's hair!

now that you mention it, jessie did look like samara!

this episode was pretty good. the maxes looked alive but their voices weren't too similar.

Geki
16th August 2005, 12:14 AM
This episode was weird, and crappy. It didn't even seem like an AG episode..

3/10

Blaziken master
9th November 2005, 4:18 PM
The funniest parts were Jessie's rampage and when skitty attacked Brock

ShinyManafi
25th December 2006, 6:07 AM
OMG! O_O Jessie looks so scary....
And lol at the two Maxs, that was funny

Outlawz
25th December 2006, 6:14 AM
Any Masato based episode is terrible, and this one lived up to its expectations, the only good part was Musashi getting angry over her hair, and thats it.

Shift
25th December 2006, 6:39 AM
It was totally ridiculous, even by cartoon standards. Having a complete clone only slightly taller with orange hair and square spects, along with the exact same name, is a rather pathetic plot. As bad as having a guy name Romeo with a Volbeat fall in love with a girlo named Julliette with a Illumise.

CyberCubed
20th January 2007, 4:04 AM
It was totally ridiculous, even by cartoon standards. Having a complete clone only slightly taller with orange hair and square spects, along with the exact same name, is a rather pathetic plot. As bad as having a guy name Romeo with a Volbeat fall in love with a girlo named Julliette with a Illumise.

Oh really? Its not the first time they did this, there was a guy called Richie in the Indigo league, you heard of him?

Jolty77
20th January 2007, 10:36 PM
Was I the only one annoyed that when they let out all their pokemon to play and whatever that Corphish and Mudkip were somehow forgotten?

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 8:15 AM
I don't mind filler episodes but this wasn't very interesting. Surskit is a boring Pokemon to me.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:13 AM
seeing those two was a bit confusing but it was an allright episode to me, 7/10.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:28 PM
It was an OK episode, surskit was cute....thats all

Ash-kid
10th July 2009, 3:56 PM
When Max talked with Max, it's was very weird, because the real Max was shorter...

Lorde
25th January 2010, 3:12 AM
I have to say, I was very disappointed with this one. Probably the worst Filler in Hoenn not just because there was another boy who looked just like Max :/

I'm glad that we had some more Skitty time and it was cute to see Max play with Skitty, but then things got complicated when his double appeared. Both were such know-it-alls it drove me insane.

Surskit was cute, though it was stronger than I thought. For such a little thing, it had a strong Bubble attack :S 4/10

KGB13
7th September 2010, 11:50 AM
I didn't really like the whole 2 Max's thing, it was kinda dumb, and a Surskit episode was bound to be boring.

Bad episode...

CliveKoopa
20th October 2010, 5:16 PM
This episode was great. It was quite amusing to see Jessie being really evil. She acts like this in Tracey Gets Bugged an I Feel Skitty as well and all because of her hair.

G50
2nd March 2011, 11:22 AM
This episode was ok... It was interesting seeing another Max in this episode, the 2 really didn't like each other for most of the episode. It was cool seeing Surskit for the 1st time. Surskit is really cute! It was great to see Surskit battle and defeat TR, it's very strong. It was funny watching May keep trying to stop the 2 Max's fighting all of the time. Jessie with a hammer was very funny and scary at the same time.

46/100

TheEpicGoomba
26th June 2011, 12:56 PM
This episode was alright. It was cool to see anther Max. Quite confusing though. Surskit was cute,Don't really like it overall as a Pokemon though.

Vernikova
26th June 2012, 5:02 PM
I stopped watching when I saw Max's older twin enter the Pokemon Center. What were the writers thinking with this one?

7threst
28th September 2012, 11:10 AM
Well, I did enjoy this episode for the most part. I thought seeing a doppelganger of Max was hilarious and how they both come to terms at the end of this episode was great. Yes, it felt a little unoriginal with a character of the day and a weak Pokémon, but it was still mediocre to alright.

AquaMilotic
25th December 2012, 3:42 PM
I think the second Max was funny to see, even them having the same name. Aside from that, this episode wasn't that special to me, 5/10.

*~Silver*~
21st January 2013, 2:56 AM
Was I the only one annoyed that when they let out all their pokemon to play and whatever that Corphish and Mudkip were somehow forgotten?

Oh my gosh, yes. *Facepalm*

Painkiller2001
3rd November 2014, 3:39 AM
Weird how when they all sent out their Pokemon, Corphish and Mudkip weren't included.
Didn't like the second Max in this episode at the beginning. He was really a jerk. Though, I am glad both Maxes respected each other at the end. :)