PDA

View Full Version : Poetry Commotion! (331)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:22 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/331.jpgPoetry Commotion!

In Lavaridge, Ash & Co. meet up with Flannery, the recently appointed Gym Leader here. Ash challenges her but she cannot accept as the battlefield has been filled with holes. Ash, eager for his battle, volunteers to help, but Team Rocket arrive to try and steal Flannery's Torkoal...

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/331.shtml)

Discuss

darkgamerGS
23rd October 2004, 7:07 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are so close to getting here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Flannery episodes are gonna be so damn good it's intimidating. Only thing is, Flannery's entrance is kinda embarrassing, but She's still cool. Both episodes come out on November 13th, right?

ŁańkaŃ
23rd October 2004, 9:37 PM
Well you are a fan of hers...i see...

I like her too..she is cool...but i can't wait to hear what voice is to take in Flannery

darkgamerGS
23rd October 2004, 9:49 PM
I know what Her Japanese voice sounds like thanks to Toto. She sounds so cool! Hopefullt Her English voice isn't screwed up. Her Magu, Megu, and Torkoal are also cool, and so is Mura. I never expected him to have a Wingull.

Heracross
23rd October 2004, 10:40 PM
Yeah, this one's getting pretty close now, especially since KidsWB! started showing two new episodes a week now. I'm kinda interested to see how 4Kids handled this one, but at the same time I'm also afraid to see how much they messed it up. Oh well, despite how much 4Kids may have screwed up the music for the dub, it's still a good episode, so I'll be looking forward to it.

darkgamerGS
24th October 2004, 5:22 AM
Screwed up the music? Isn't the music the same as the Japanese version? And what's the English name for this episode?

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 11:55 AM
Hasn't been dubbed...will PM you when it has been dubbed.

darkgamerGS
24th October 2004, 11:57 AM
Cool! Thnx again! Why do I get the feeling that I will find out before you tell me? Oh well. It wouldn't be your fault. So many Flannery pics in the same place... *Dies*

ŁańkaŃ
25th October 2004, 12:04 AM
I had liked it since we got to see Typolision...i wish Ash had a match with him...it would have been cool...

darkgamerGS
25th October 2004, 12:46 AM
That was the first episode with a Typhlosion?

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 12:54 AM
No, Typhlosion was also seen in "Gonna Rule The School!" battling a Feraligatr in the Battle Class. I think it's Typhlosion's Pokedex debut in this episode (Although it was seen in "Raikou! Legend Of Thunder!").

ŁańkaŃ
25th October 2004, 12:54 AM
umm..not sure..but it was the first for Hoenn...i do remember that Cyndiquil did of course...and QUILAVA...

darkgamerGS
25th October 2004, 1:07 AM
Oh. Still so many pics... but no words. No movement. No nothing but Flannery in Her still, speechless poses. Even that is too intimidating! *Dies*

ChaosMage
25th October 2004, 3:20 PM
I think Flannery will have a really naff voice. TORKOAL!!! I know he rules thanks to Ash's Torkoal. Can't wait.

darkgamerGS
25th October 2004, 9:27 PM
Naff? What's naff mean?

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 9:38 PM
Naff means silly. I liked Flannery's voice, well actually I like Flannery....

Her Torkoal is so cool and it's Overheat attack is amazing!!

darkgamerGS
25th October 2004, 9:57 PM
Yeah, Torkoal's cool. Much better than the one Ash has. It never cries (I think.)

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 10:08 PM
Ash's Torkoal is cool! It cries and it likes to swim, how individual is that??

ChaosMage
26th October 2004, 8:08 PM
I haven't seen this episode yet. I'm British (that's my excuse for everything)

Geodude
17th November 2004, 7:34 PM
Just saw one of the preview clips on Pokemon.com. Flannery's dub voice has probably been used before in the anime lots of times, but it still seems to fit her.

Alfonso
17th November 2004, 7:38 PM
Just saw one of the preview clips on Pokemon.com. Flannery's dub voice has probably been used before in the anime lots of times, but it still seems to fit her.

Can you give me an example of a character who has had her voice? Wait, let me guess. She has Cissy/Jasmine's voice, doesn't she?

Not that I have anything against that. I liked Jasmine's voice. ^_^

Geodude
17th November 2004, 8:02 PM
People are saying she sounds like Shauna the Battle Girl...remember her?

darkgamerGS
17th November 2004, 9:55 PM
Yeah, I do, but I don't remember her voice. OMG, Flannery's in a commercial on the official site!? I have GOT to hear it! *Goes to the official site*

Phantom_Bugsy
17th November 2004, 10:28 PM
Her voice is cute. :3 I think it does fit her.

:o MAGCARGO. *wriggle* I LOVE. >3

darkgamerGS
18th November 2004, 12:18 AM
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've heard Flannery's English voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! She sounds so damn f*cking HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So no matter what version you watch, she has the HAWTEST VOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I just died and went to Lavaridge Town!!!!!!!!! *Insert eternal EEing, death, and all my other usual reactions to Flannery here*

Well, that's the third time I've said that today. XD

Heracross
18th November 2004, 12:52 AM
I don't remember what the battle girl sounds like, but I guess whoever the voice actor is also did Lisa from the Charicific Valley (if I remember her voice correctly). It also vaguely reminds me of Lara Laramie's voice from "The Flame Pokémon-Athon".

CyberCubed
20th November 2004, 2:26 AM
Her voice is too overused, it's lousy. Flannery now sounds like 7 other main girls in the anime, terrible.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 3:15 AM
*sigh* 'Fraid Imma gonna have'ta side with Cyber on this. The Lisa Ortiz voice is used WAAAY too much. Pretty much every stylish teenage Female has her voice. The big trouble I find is that Lisa does little to distinguish that same high and scratchy vocal when it matters. It's the same deal with The Ritchie Voice.

Now of course, the voice is very suitable character-wise, there's no doubting that. But it has saturated the series to the point that it's disappointing to hear it once again, no matter how well done the acting may be. Hearing it gives you the same annoyed feeling you experience every time Ash and Co. are dense enough to fall for one of Team Rocket's cheezy disguises.

I still have yet to hear it personally, so there may still be some hope that the voice is pulled off in a slightly different way.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 3:19 AM
If you wanna know the truth, I really can't see any similarities between Flannery's voice and other girl's voices.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 3:23 AM
If you wanna know the truth, I really can't see any similarities between Flannery's voice and other girl's voices.

After your little frenzy up there, I can see why.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 3:28 AM
Really, I don't. I couldn't think of anyone, and still can't think of anyone that sounds like Flannery.

Tamer Zack
20th November 2004, 3:30 AM
I'm tired of hearing her voice we need something Winona will probaly have that voice as well. I got the chance to hear 1 of Slugma's voice it sounds like it's just sticking out it's tongue and Magcargo has that SlowPoke voice and Torkoal has the same voice from TC on Cheer Pressure.

Heracross
20th November 2004, 4:30 AM
Let's not even get started on Slugma's voice. It sounds different in every episode it appears in. =P

Fujiwara-Kazuma
20th November 2004, 5:48 AM
Sounds cool... But I can't find the preview on the official site... I need help. Anyone?

anyways, this episode is definitely gonna rock (I'm not obsessed with Flannery /\ _ /\). Well, just hopefull, The Slugmas and the Magcargos won't bother me again and I bet I'll just love Flannery's character. She seems like the rocking teenage gym leader Pokemon has never had! Can't wait!!! /\ _ /\

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 2:08 PM
zzzzz dub error already. Lava Cookies /=/ Buns/whatever.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 2:41 PM
Damn the dubbers calling Lava Cookies buns! Other than that, um... well... *Too intimidated to say anything*

The Big Al
20th November 2004, 2:45 PM
Team Rocket must be using a new fuel. The smoke cloud was green when they got blasted to the Stratosphere.

I see that they kept Typholsion's Japanese voice.

Yup, they certainly screwed up on the Lava Cookies. Hot Crossed Buns, really.

That flash back of Flannery had some pretty dumb trainers. Who would bring Grass Pokemon to a Fire gym?

Anyway, an enjoyable episode complete with a boat load of Fire Pokemon.

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 2:46 PM
Hmmm yeah I usually don't like "setup" episodes for gym battles not after the 5 episode fiasco of Claire and the 8th Johto badge. So I went into this one not thinking highly of it from the start. And I can say that I'm thoroughly disappointed. A letdown with low expectations is a big letdown. -.-

Firstly after like a 4 or 5 episode break the stupid Team Idiot daydream sequence returned. And second most of the episode was just Max making mean comments and everyone cleaning a dang battlefield!

The little subplot with Flannery's gramps wasn't all that hot either especially since uh, he didn't actually go anywhere. At least we got to see cute Wingull again. Plus animated Typhlosion is a nice bonus.

But overall it's an episode I wouldn't care to see again.

1 / 5

Blah.....

V Faction
20th November 2004, 2:50 PM
-Yes, the Cookies got mixed up. That however I don't entirely blame them for. You can only get cookies from atop Mt. Chimney, and we never see May purchase them (from the last episode). So we have conveniently appearing snacks.

-Okay, I have to admit, Flannery's voice wasn't too bad. There was a small bit of difference. Like Max from "Maxxed Out!" though, it started to drift into the regular ol' voice about half way into the Episode.

-Apparently we've got Shawn back, doing the voice of the Grandfather.

-*Claps* Very nice intrpretations of the names. Meg, Mag, and "Old Man" More.

-Good to hear some relating back to past Gyms.

-When Meowth was trying to move Torkoal, it looked a little... umm... Well, it looked like a violation of Torkoal's privacy, if you know what I mean...

-Flannery and More vs. Team Rocket fight = Hilariously amazing. It was fast paced, well played, correct terms (Ember!), and funny to boot.

-I don't know why, but hot springs really piss me off in the show. They've come across them so many times... It's kind of hard to get excited about a whole town based around them. The Sand Baths we interesting at least.

The Big Al
20th November 2004, 2:52 PM
The best part was Typholsion beating TR to a smoke pulp. At last, not some stupid weakling Pokemon some how destroying Team Rocket with a singal hit but a Typhlosion in an actual battle.

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 2:54 PM
The best part was Typholsion beating TR to a smoke pulp. At last, not some stupid weakling Pokemon some how destroying Team Rocket with a singal hit but a Typhlosion in an actual battle.

But doesn't that mean Typhlosion kind of sucked to not be able to destroy them in one hit? lol

The Big Al
20th November 2004, 2:56 PM
But doesn't that mean Typhlosion kind of sucked to not be able to destroy them in one hit? lol

No it just meant the writers wanted to write an actual battle sequence that was convincing. Maybe they found themselves with enough time to make it.

Heracross
20th November 2004, 2:58 PM
Where to start? Well, the first thing I noticed after watching for a whole five seconds was that they had already changed the music. They really mangled it pretty badly in this one too, at one point I noticed they began to play different music over the music that was already playng.-_- Unfortunately it's not the least bit surprising, but it's still very dissappointing. Flannery's voice was good, it may be overused, but I actually thought it fit her well. Slugma's voice was different yet again, I'm starting to wonder if it's like a running joke with 4Kids. Very funny. =P Speaking of the pokémon's voices, I thought I was going insane when they showed the flashback of Flannery's grangfather battling and his Typhlosion said "Baku Baku!" clear as a bell. That was really surprising and it leads me to believe that the people over at 4Kids have finally lost their minds. They replace pokémon's voices that have the same name, yet they let Typhlosion run around saying "Baku!"? O_o That's not a bad thing really, I like Bakufuun's voice, it was just very unexpected. Anyway, there was one thing that bothered me, Brock said he was the son of a Gym leader. His father was a do-nothing bum who failed at pokémon training and lived in a hole selling rocks... not exactly what I'd call Gym leader material. -_-; Anyway, I thought Flannery's grandfather was really amusing, especially when he asked to use the bathroom so he could show Flannery where the badges were.

Flannery: Hey, I thought you needed to use the bathroom?
Grandfather: Oh... I just realized that.. there must be one in my hotel room! Bye bye!

Anyway, this was a good episode overall, I just wish 4Kids would finally see the light and stop ruining the music.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 3:00 PM
Maybe the second episode will be... nah. Ash wins, so this one is better.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 3:02 PM
Anyway, there was one thing that bothered me, Brock said he was the son of a Gym leader. His father was a do-nothing bum who failed at pokémon training and lived in a hole selling rocks... not exactly what I'd call Gym leader material. -_-;

Flint took over after Brock left (if we're ignoring the whole Jiroo thing for now). So in technical terms, he IS a Gym Leader, just... not very good, dependable, etc. etc.

twillightwolf
20th November 2004, 3:20 PM
in the screen where flannery was talking about her grandpa leaving i heard him say he was going to go to jhoto and something that sounded like orre.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 3:24 PM
you know, I think he did say that. Flannery's Grandpa is funny. XD But still, this episode was so cool!

Heracross
20th November 2004, 3:33 PM
That flash back of Flannery had some pretty dumb trainers. Who would bring Grass Pokemon to a Fire gym?

Funny you should say that since Ash uses Treecko for his Gym battle.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 3:39 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, Heracross. XD That was weird.

CyberCubed
20th November 2004, 3:49 PM
If it weren't for Flannery's god awful voice, this episode would have been more watchable.

4kids ruined a perfectly good character with their horrible reuse of VA.

Go 4kids, give Winona Roxanne's voice, just as Jasmine and Clair had.

Characters who have Flannery's voice:

Liza from the Charicific Valley
Shauna the battle girl
Oakley from Movie 5
Marina from "Bye Bye Psyduck"
The Ninja girl with the Hitmontop from "Two hits and a Miss"

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few too.

If it didn't sound EXACTLY the same for different characters maybe it'd be a bit different, but 4kids doesn't seem to care.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 3:52 PM
God awful? it suits Flannery perfectly! =P

Gravy
20th November 2004, 3:56 PM
Not to be one who seems completly inept and unable to find something right under his own nose, but may I ask where exactly this preview clip is located on the site?

4kids ruined a perfectly good character with their horrible reuse of VA.
The thing is, Lisa Ortiz is capable of doing some really kick-a*s voice acting. Remember the voice of Sabrina from way back?
I'm not sure why the only voice she seems to do these days is that same, scratchy girl's voice, but it is just terribly annoying, especially since its started to carry over into other dubs.
I never really complain about the voice acting of the human characters, bar James, but seriously, Lisa needs to get her act together methinks~ Bah...

I find it ironic that those who (IMO) provided some of the better voice acting in the show (namely Nurse Joy and the narrator) have disappeared, yet we're stuck with the same Chigusa.Shauna/Liza/random-other-girl voice >.>

CyberCubed
20th November 2004, 4:03 PM
The problem is that for the one shot trainer girls 4kids uses about three voices.

There is the younger girls voice, which is like Casey's and Macy's.

There is the young adult voice, which sounds like the girl with the Numel from last week, Whitney, Roxanne etc.

And then the mid-teen girl, which is Flannery, Shauna, etc.

They just recycle through the same roles over and over. The young adult voice appears the most, but since that's a "standard" voice, it's not too annoying.

Overall 4kids raped Flannery's character voice wise, and it's a shame because she's the most popular GYM leader in Hoenn too.

And the thing is that 4kids DOES have other voice actors, but the pokemon group gets the same 3 or so for the filler characters. Highly disappointing.

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 4:10 PM
Come to think of it, Mr. Moore in disguise gave off a major Blaine vibe. Or is it just me?

V Faction
20th November 2004, 4:23 PM
I can only imagine how funny it would be if a future episode had two Characters join together that 4Kids decided to tack the same voice on to.

Robert
20th November 2004, 5:02 PM
Torkal and Flannery's dub voices were great (IMO), but it was a relatively dull episode overall. The concept of "I can't go back after such a send off!" has been used before, quite recently, actually. Not a whole lot wrong, but not a whole lot right.

Togepi Trainer
20th November 2004, 5:05 PM
I liked it, but the send off concept what just used about 20 episodes back, sigh.

Flannery was warm. :D

My Togetic in the TC was pretty cool.

PDL
20th November 2004, 5:59 PM
well... It was okay... I don't really see why some people have been going apeshit over this episode... I never really saw flannery as sexy... she's cute and attractive, yes... "Hawt" though?, no...

and I was somewhat dissapointed that Liza Ortiz did Flannery's voice... but then again... 4kids have about 10 voice actors to work with -__-;, but at least some try to make an effort to make the characters sound different

BTW, Liza Ortiz did the voice for Sabrina, but she actually sounded very different from her usual work

Dogasu
20th November 2004, 6:07 PM
The thing is, Lisa Ortiz is capable of doing some really kick-a*s voice acting. Remember the voice of Sabrina from way back?
I'm not sure why the only voice she seems to do these days is that same, scratchy girl's voice, but it is just terribly annoying, especially since its started to carry over into other dubs.

I have to disagree with the whole "Lisa Oritz can act" statement. Thing is, the girl has this really grating voice, and she does nothing to make Character E sound any different from Character A, B, C, or D. She's just using her Lina Inverse voice for all the characters she voices in Pokémon, and it's really annoying.

Lisa Oritz is, without a doubt, one of my least favorite voice actors in all of English dubbed anime. She's the reason I can't watch the Slayers dub, and whenever she voices a character in Pokémon she makes me want to stab my ear with a Q-Tip. Really, 4Kids, get some new voice actors.

Space Skitty
20th November 2004, 6:08 PM
This episode seemed short to me. Maybe because I was tired... I know Flannery's voice was highly familar, but it suited her. I liked Flannery's first appearence; not many Gym Leaders are introduced on fire! XD! I thought it was a nice episode. Meg & Mag are cute names! ^_^

Heracross
20th November 2004, 6:26 PM
Well, the thing about Liza Ortiz is that she really did an awesome Sabrina (and probably some others from the first season that I can't remember), but now all she does are the overused filler girl voices. What baffles me is that the same person who did Sabrina so well just sticks to the same scratchy girl voice all the time and never has any variety lately. I think if she wanted to, she could really do well, she just doesn't try to make a distinction between characters. It's really a shame because she has potential and isn't doing anything with it. Think if all the characters had unique voices that fit as well as Sabrina's.

Indigo
20th November 2004, 6:48 PM
This episode...

Pros:

-Flannery's debut. Man, Flannery has to be the best Gym Leader in Hoenn by far! Glad to see her make her debut. She was pretty cool.
-Ha. Mr. Moore was kinda funny and HE ACTUALLY RECOGNIZED TEAM ROCKET! More proof that the team is...not very observant.

Cons:

-Ouch. Flannery's voice. I picked up that cheesy Liza Ortiz voice right away. It's Shauna's, it's Liza's, now it's Flannery's. It's not fair! Liza Ortiz can do so much more than this! 4Kids can really jip us sometimes, and this is one of those times.

There isn't much else to say except this was a pretty mediocre filler. Had it not been Flannery in the episode, people would have been criticizing it left, right, and center.

7/10. They can do better than this.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 6:55 PM
Just to let you know, until a few weeks ago, I never knew who Lisa Ortiz was.

Indigo
20th November 2004, 7:15 PM
Okay...that's nice.

But I have to admit, I didn't know she did Sabrina. Now I'm even more pissered off at what 4Kids puts up for us.

ŁańkaŃ
20th November 2004, 7:23 PM
Well, this was good, as we never heard the voice of Typlosion...oh well...i'm still happy with this EPISODE...

Gravy
20th November 2004, 7:38 PM
I have to disagree with the whole "Lisa Oritz can act" statement. Thing is, the girl has this really grating voice, and she does nothing to make Character E sound any different from Character A, B, C, or D. She's just using her Lina Inverse voice for all the characters she voices in Pokémon, and it's really annoying.

You're quite right to disagree I have to say, and I honestly do share your opinion on the matter. I myself am not really fond of her 'skills' in the field of voice acting either and the voice she does use over and over does make my ears bleed.
But, I dunno...with that performance she did with Sabrina, it does make me wonder a little. She must have some sort of ability to act if she can produce a voice like that (You have to admit, that was one of the better voice-overs on the show). Not enough ability to actually count it seems, as that is the only reason I can think of to stick up for her~

pokeplayer984
20th November 2004, 8:11 PM
Okay, if you ask me, in trying to impress girls, Brock has indeed gotten worse. :D

I mean, look at how desprate he was this time! LOL! :D

Anyways, I liked seeing how irresponsible Flannery was. Shows you that it's just not easy being gym leader. :D

Only thing I really hated was Torkoal's voice. >_< Please, pick something else, 4kids!!

I give it 8/10.

See ya!

;151; - *laughs at how much worse Brock has gotten.*

Kamex
21st November 2004, 12:18 AM
I liked this episode, mostly. It had the debut of Flannery which was nice, and her grandfather was funny. It was nice to see Torkoal, too. And the only other time I've ever seen Typhlosion is in that episode in Rustboro, in that Pokemon school, and that was only for a second.

As for Flannery's voice, I think it is overused, yet it was a good voice for her. Maybe in the future Liza Ortiz will make some more unique voices.

8/10.

Cloud Strife
21st November 2004, 12:52 AM
Okay, until today I could not figure out all the people like Darkgamer who are crazy about Flannery. BUT NOW I DO. My gosh she is smokin. The only non-video game anime girl I ever thought was hot. It was an okay episode, but I am giving it a 10/10 anyway because Flannery is that hot!!!!

Dogasu
21st November 2004, 1:05 AM
But, I dunno...with that performance she did with Sabrina, it does make me wonder a little. She must have some sort of ability to act if she can produce a voice like that (You have to admit, that was one of the better voice-overs on the show). Not enough ability to actually count it seems, as that is the only reason I can think of to stick up for her~

I think people are giving Ms. Oritz waaaaaay too much credit for the work she did as Sabrina. Yes, it was different from her usual Lina Inverse voice, but it was really just a standard monotone voice. Sabrina's emotionless character doesn't require any sort of acting "skills" to pull off successfully, since the character doesn't really emote much at all.

That's like saying that the girl who did the voice of Robin in Witch Hunter Robin or Lain in Serial Experiments Lain can act because they can pull off the "emotionless goth girl" voice. I really don't see that as much of an "accomplishment" since I guarantee you that everyone on this message board is capable of sounding as emotionless and bored as Lisa Oritz did in the two Sabrina episodes.

meggirl63
21st November 2004, 1:25 AM
I say this episode was really great!

Yellow
21st November 2004, 2:20 AM
I liked this episode as well as the gym battle episode. Mr.Moore had one powerful Typhlosion, and since we have never really seen Typholosion before on the anime, it was a special treat.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
21st November 2004, 2:36 AM
This was a cool episode. Flannery isn't as great as you all make her out to be, but she was cool. I liked the beginning most("Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!"). That was funny. I liked where Old Man Moore showed Flannery the safe in the bathroom, that was hilarious!! Hey, does anyone find it odd that Flannery petted her Slugma?? Shouldn't she have been burned badly? On a side note, I thought Typhlosion's voice was too high pitched. But, that was recovered by a correct Trainer's Choice(as opposed to the ABYSMAL one in the actual battle).

Overall rating:
8.3 out of 10!!
An above average filler, but we've had better. Then again, we've had worse:D!

That Scary Clefairy
21st November 2004, 2:53 AM
You're quite right to disagree I have to say, and I honestly do share your opinion on the matter. I myself am not really fond of her 'skills' in the field of voice acting either and the voice she does use over and over does make my ears bleed.

I think it the fact that she started out good but as episodes drag on it tiring for the actors/actress. They don't see pokemon the way we do so when they have to supply a voice for a "random character" other than Ash and co, it tiring and stressful. Whether she trying or not in distinqusihing between different character voices she plays, i dunno, but i can see how it hard for someone to say to themself, "Oh let the way i did my previous charcter was like _____ so i should provde this charcter with a _______voice like the japanese verison." over and over again. I would have a hard time trying to distingish voice i did from different character.(though i'm pretty good but you get my point.)

Btw i forgot to watch these two Flannery episodes today!( i overslept) So when can i watch the rerun episode for these two gym episode that aired today?

Psychic Venusaur
21st November 2004, 3:17 AM
I think it the fact that she started out good but as episodes drag on it tiring for the actors/actress. They don't see pokemon the way we do so when they have to supply a voice for a "random character" other than Ash and co, it tiring and stressful. Whether she trying or not in distinqusihing between different character voices she plays, i dunno, but i can see how it hard for someone to say to themself, "Oh let the way i did my previous charcter was like _____ so i should provde this charcter with a _______voice like the japanese verison." over and over again. I would have a hard time trying to distingish voice i did from different character.(though i'm pretty good but you get my point.)

Btw i forgot to watch these two Flannery episodes today!( i overslept) So when can i watch the rerun episode for these two gym episode that aired today?

You'll have to wait till Friday at 3:00. (Doesn't anybody use an alarm clock?)

This episode was o.k. The voice for Flannery is overused, but fits her.
The voice for her grandfather was used three times in the last episode (Sean Schemmel) and is now used again. I like how none of the voices were exactly the same.

Moore could see through Team Rocket's obvious disguises

Flannery is cool. She seemed like a very nice person, inside and out...ahem

It was nice to see Typhlosion. The only other time it was seen was in the Rustboro Pokemon School, where it got limited coverage

7.5/10

Akane
21st November 2004, 6:08 AM
I thought this epsiode was great!! Flannery is so cool! ^___^ Old Man Moore was funny. Brock went crazy over her and guess who pulled him by the ear...? Max! That part was so super funny. I was laughing my head off. And also there was a little Japanese culture in there(Sand baths). I read about them in a magazine. So that was great they stick the culture in there. I think when Team Rocket battled Old Man Moore was funny. Seviper and Cacena got burned. So did Meowth. Showing Typhlosion was a treat too. Wow they show a Pokemon from Johto! Old Man Moore probably got it when he traveled to Johto to write more poems. ^__^ Anyway this was a good epsiode. It got me ready for the next one...oh yeah!

Flannery voice was great...it suits her. :)

Cloud Strife
21st November 2004, 8:28 AM
This episode seemed short to me. Maybe because I was tired... I know Flannery's voice was highly familar, but it suited her. I liked Flannery's first appearence; not many Gym Leaders are introduced on fire! XD! I thought it was a nice episode. Meg & Mag are cute names! ^_^

I just saw this now and had to reply.

Not many Gym Leaders are that hot though either, it makes sense for one whos temperature would surely be very high for the heat radiating from her, to be on fire.

Yamato-san
21st November 2004, 11:09 AM
I watched the Raikou Crystal special a long time ago, and when I first saw that flashback of Flannery's grandfather, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they kept in Typhlosion's Japanese voice, the voice I was accustomed to for all these years ^_^. BTW, someone earlier said Typhlosion's original name is "Bakuran" or something, but allow me to correct that person and say it's "Bakufuun".

Hey, I don't know if I was hearing correctly, but when May and Max were retrieving Torkoal, did May address her brother as "May"? I'm pretty sure I heard a long 'a' sound there as opposed to the short 'a' in Max. Perhaps I did just mishear, because out of all these posts, someone would've brought up such an error by now.

darkgamerGS
21st November 2004, 3:20 PM
No, I think she said Max. I watched the episodes again yesterda night and didn't hear that mistake. I wonder what people that hate Flannery's voice would say if they heard Her Japanese voice? I have a voice sample of it somewhere. Well, it's not mine, I just asked permission to put it in the first post at my Asuna/Flannery Fan Club at PC. Oh well.

Lutochris
21st November 2004, 5:08 PM
Christ what's with the Lisa Ortiz hate-fest? Yeah she's been used before but who hasn't at this point? They've got a limited number of actors to work with and at least one new character virtually every episode, with close to 400 episodes. I LOVE Lisa's voice, even if it's overused, I could just listen to it all day! I think she's one of 4Kids' best VAs (which is saying something considering 4Kids also has Rachael Lillis, Megan Hollingshead, and Veronica Taylor), and I think the problem isn't with HER range ability, it's that 4Kids always assigns her the same type of nice-happy-cute-energetic girl characters.

Oh yeah, also how come no one's mentioned yet that Flannery stole her hairdo from Side-Show Bob? She must be a Simpsons fan.

Heracross
21st November 2004, 7:26 PM
BTW, someone earlier said Typhlosion's original name is "Bakuran" or something, but allow me to correct that person and say it's "Bakufuun".

Yeah, that was me.^_^; I guess I thought it was spelled that way because it sounded like that's what they were calling it in the Raikou Special. Now that I look more closely at the subtitles and pay a bit more attention to what they were saying I can see that it was Bakufuun.

darkgamerGS
21st November 2004, 8:35 PM
Oh yeah, also how come no one's mentioned yet that Flannery stole her hairdo from Side-Show Bob? She must be a Simpsons fan.
Do you know why no one mentioned it? Cause Flannery's hair looks more like the lava that comes out of a volcano when it erupts. Fire Gym Leader... lava is real hot... get it?

Lutochris
23rd November 2004, 6:14 AM
Hmmm, nope it's Side Show Bob. Obvious rip-off (j/k). :)

Geodude
23rd November 2004, 6:50 AM
Neat little side point here...in the original, Flannery's grandfather's name was simply Mura. When they dubbed it, they changed it so the name people called him was his LAST name (Mr. Moore/Old Man Moore)...I'm assuming because it sounds more respectful or whatever to call an elderly man by his last name, at least in our culture...anyway, if Moore is his last name, it could be Flannery's as well, at least in the dub. Flannery Moore...not bad.

Dogasu
23rd November 2004, 11:20 AM
...anyway, if Moore is his last name, it could be Flannery's as well, at least in the dub. Flannery Moore...not bad.

Of course, if Flannery's grandfather is her mother's father, then that theory doesn't work.

Regardless, what IS it with the dub and giving everyone last names, anyway?

darkgamerGS
23rd November 2004, 12:42 PM
I have no idea. But it adds to the realism and lets us learn a little more about people.

Neat little side point here...in the original, Flannery's grandfather's name was simply Mura. When they dubbed it, they changed it so the name people called him was his LAST name (Mr. Moore/Old Man Moore)...I'm assuming because it sounds more respectful or whatever to call an elderly man by his last name, at least in our culture...anyway, if Moore is his last name, it could be Flannery's as well, at least in the dub. Flannery Moore...not bad.
Hey, did you steal that from my Asuna/Flannery Fan Club?

Cloud Strife
24th November 2004, 4:16 AM
Of course, if Flannery's grandfather is her mother's father, then that theory doesn't work.

You mean except Main Characters, right?

Ash and Gary are it. Other than that, none of them have one.

darkgamerGS
24th November 2004, 4:55 AM
Yeah, but he's called Mr. Moore, so he has a last name, we just don't know his first name, but in the Japanese version, his name is Mura.

Geodude
24th November 2004, 6:18 AM

1. Exactly. I never said it was a certainty. :p

2. So, um, like 2 families (Ash's and Flannery's) is considered "everyone"?

ronster486
28th November 2004, 5:23 AM
I personally dislike episodes with Gym Leaders with no Ash vs Gym leader battles but it was a ok episode. 4.3/10. The episode following it is alot better.

Factory Head Noland
12th December 2004, 12:01 PM
This episode was just on Sky Mix and I really enjoyed it! I think Team Rocket were funny in this episode and when Meowth tried to pick up Flannery's Torkoal by itself, lol.

Rating: 8/10 Very good!

Sharpshooter
14th December 2004, 8:08 AM
I quite liked Flannery, she's more bubbly than the other gym leaders we've encountered so far in Hoenn.

I liked the idea with grandfather sneaking up on her, wasn't expecting that, thought it would be routine like the other gym fights. It's nicely poised for the actual battle now, can't wait!

Torkoal Stu
27th December 2004, 7:33 AM
This episode was o.k. The voice for Flannery is overused, but fits her.
The voice for her grandfather was used three times in the last episode (Sean Schemmel) and is now used again.
It was nice to see Typhlosion. The only other time it was seen was in the Rustboro Pokemon School, where it got limited coverage

7.5/10

Flannery's voice was cool and it was the same voice as cassidy's(it listened closely you would know) and i never saw typhlosion before and it kept its japenes voice.

Jesse GS the II
16th February 2005, 6:51 PM
I just recently saw the Japanese version of this episode, so I can't vouch for any of the dub complaints. But I will say that the Japanese version of this episode had some VERY good animation, especially during Asuna's introduction. From the point where Asuna runs back and forth with her robe on fire to the point where Masato drags Takeshi away by the ear was a period of lavish direction. I notice these sorts of things - not only am I an animation geek, but there's not much else to do when you can't understand a word of Japanese (although the voice acting was great in this one, especially Hayashibara Megumi's performance as Musashi when she's relaxing in the hot spring).

vulpix
31st March 2005, 8:45 PM
this episode is soo good i could just watch it over and over and never get bored.

FlareonJupiter
22nd April 2005, 7:41 PM
I thought it was cute at the beginning when Team Rocket is in the hot springs and when Jessie says "Last one in the scented baths is a rotten Exeggcute!", James and Meowth submerge themselves under water and mumble "Oooh...Scented baths..." That was so funny!

Shiny May
23rd April 2005, 1:24 PM
It was a nice introduction of Flannery and good to see a starter gymleader. You don't see that very often. Typhlosion looks cool and overall I have to say it was a good episode.

Geki
30th August 2005, 11:43 PM
I liked this episode, Flannery and her Grandfather were awesome characters. I liked when her Grandpa used Typhlosion on Team Rocket.

8/10

wobbanut
26th September 2005, 9:39 PM
The funniest parts of this episode had to be James criticizing the grandfather for spying with binoculars, and Team Rocket's reactions when they found out he was spying on his own family. ROFLOL :D It was definitely interesting to see a rookie gym leader who's just learning everything that goes with being one. At least that was a bit different. I liked how the grandfather kept popping in secretly trying to help her too.

grand master cyndaquil
4th October 2005, 7:50 PM
Flannery is a cute , cool , HOT , sweat , beatyfull , lovely , pokemon Trainer .
I love hear .
I never saw that episode on television .
Is this episode cool ???
What does she in that episode ???
A Battle ???
I want to now it .
Where can you download that episode ???

WaterDragon trainer
10th November 2005, 11:05 PM
I just wanted to make a couple of statements. To reply to smilestar, Flannery's grandfather owned a Typhlosion way before he went on his journey. To reply to Commander Blizzard, remember Laramie's Ponyta? She said when you befriend a fire pokemon, like Ponyta(in this case Slugma), it won't burn you.

grand master cyndaquil
8th January 2006, 5:58 PM
I like her fire pokemon .
That torkoal is sow cute .

Igottapoo
12th January 2009, 1:43 AM
I didn't like this too much. Just some filler anticipation for the gym battle :/

(s.i.e)
27th January 2009, 3:15 PM
hm those torkoals are so strange if you ask me, they look like first class smokers to me, anyway it was a decent episode i enjoyed watching this one.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:40 PM
Its a nice episode, Flannery is my fave gymleader...it was good

Brandnewgold
31st May 2009, 3:05 AM
first time i see theres a bathroom in pokemon, so now I assume that they are used

Adam_stm
23rd July 2009, 8:06 PM
I love Torkoal!

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 1:17 PM
I loved to see Flannery's pokemon. especially Torkoal.

And i loved to see Typhlosion, it was really powerfull...

8/10

Lorde
3rd January 2010, 10:57 AM
Rofl, the beginning with Flannery's coat on fire was funny. She really has personality unlike the other sticks for gym leaders we have.

Her team was ok. Torkoal as her strongest mirrors the games. I really like how her grandfather was looking out for her even though he was supposed to have left on a journey. It was sweet.

Good episode was a few funny moments like having Ash and Co. help with the gym field. 8/10

ClassicalwaterPokemon
4th January 2010, 9:36 AM
Flannery is the best,this is a good episode.

Willow's Tara
4th May 2010, 5:53 AM
Good episode I say. Mostly because of Flannery but it's one of those episodes where there is no Gym battle that I actually like (Gardenia's another and Clair). It was kind of funny how she made some of those mistakes.

Edit: Flannery was voiced by the same person who voiced Sabrina? Wow never knew that (Same with Liza/Shauna, note all three of those (Not Sabrina) wears similar clothing)..

The person who said Flannery's hair was like Sideshow bob lol I don't think it looks like him, (Actually I knew a girl once who's hair used to be similar to Flannery years ago, if she had it tied in four different ways it would have looked like it).

Also nice to see Typlosion as well.

KGB13
28th August 2010, 6:42 AM
I really liked Flannery, her personality was great.

Her grandfather was pretty funny too, and the fact that he had a Typhlosion was cool.

Good episode.

G50
3rd March 2011, 5:23 AM
This episode was ok... It was very funny. Flannery definitely had an embarrassing moment when everyone entered the Gym and it was full of holes from the last battle. It was great to see a Typhlosion again. Too bad there's never a Typhlosion for a gym battle... It was great to see a Torkoal for the 1st time, owned by Flannery, very powerful. Buns instead of Lava Cookies? Now that's a very odd translation... Flannery's Grandfather was very funny until he was revealed.

50/100

TheEpicGoomba
1st July 2011, 5:04 PM
I loved this episode. It was really really cool to see Typhlosion again. Seeing Torkoal again was really awsome. Flannerys personality is great. Her Grandfather was very funny too and he owned the Typhlosion which makes him even cooler.

Vernikova
29th June 2012, 3:49 PM
A pretty okay introduction episode which was made so due to Team Rocket's supposed rivalry with Flannery's grandfather. Max was pretty annoying in this episode but that's nothing new.

7threst
28th September 2012, 7:12 PM
I love the Flannery and her grandfather in disguise. Think deep and you would almost say the former Fire-type Gym Leader took over the small gag of Blaine when he was disguising himself all the time. I actually thought the voice fitted perfectly with the energetic and clumsy Gym Leader and they did a nice job of both introducing her, and her Pokémon.

Aquarelle
15th September 2013, 2:17 AM
This was a funny episode IMO. I liked how Flannery was on fire when Ash & friends met her, didn't have her battlefield cleaned up, and didn't know where the badges were kept. She seemed so clueless and you could tell that she really did only just become the Gym Leader. Her grandfather was interesting too, loved how he came back to the Gym in disguise. Also, I loved Team Rocket's reaction to seeing him spying on what was going on at the Gym and their faces when he took off his disguise.

AquaMilotic
29th November 2013, 2:14 AM
I love this episode! I think Flannery is really cute, it's nice how she's clumsy and even needs Ash's help to fix things up. I think the clumsiness is cute, it gives her a cute flaw. And seeing Flannery's grandfather was interesting too, I loved the disguises. But speaking about disguises, it's really strange how characters in Pokemon rarely recognize someone in a disguise, despite it being pretty obvious... But I do have to admit that Flannery's grandpa's disguises aren't as obvious as the ones Team Rocket has, for example. 8/10.

PokemontrainerY
13th December 2013, 7:01 PM
I loved seeing my favorite Hoenn Gym Leader Flannery in this episode, she is really cute, sweet and Hot too! Not to mention, her hairstyle is cool.
I liked how she was on Fire when Ash and the others met her, LOL it's funny when Brock's Mudkip extinguished her.

Seeing her grandfather Mr. Moore in disguise reminded me of Blaine, who also likes to disguise himself most of the time. It makes me wonder if he had met Blaine before?

The battle between Jessie/James and Moore/Flannery was awesome, it was awesome when Flannery's Slugma evolved into Magcargo during the battle. I liked how both Typhloson and Magcargo put up a good fight against Team Rocket and won! As usual, Pikachu sent Team Rocket flying with a Thunderbolt.

I liked Ash and Flannery's interactions at the end, both of them were really fired up for their upcoming Gym battle.

Overall, it was a nice introduction episode of Flannery and her Pokémon. The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the Background music, 4kids shouldn't have replaced the nice Japanese music with their stock music.

Painkiller2001
3rd November 2014, 11:05 PM
I really enjoyed the personality that Flannery had. It's a nice change of pace from the more serious personalities most gym leaders seem to have. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be her personality in the actual games, because I've never got that far before.

Lorde
28th November 2014, 2:33 AM
I was glad that we got to see more of how a Gym is run even if Flannery's ditziness got tiring after a while. Also, part of me was simply happy to finally see a bathroom in the anime when Flannery's grandfather went there to find the Heat Badges. Flannery's Slugma evolving was a surprise and I was glad that Ash finally got his hot sand treatment.