PDA

View Full Version : Going, Going, Yawn! (332)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:24 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/332.jpgGoing, Going, Yawn!

It's time for Ash's Gym Battle against Flannery. It will be a 3 VS 3 battle and flannery intends to use Slugma, Magcargo and Torkoal. Will Ash manage to beat them in this blazing hot battle?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/332.shtml)

Discuss

darkgamerGS
23rd October 2004, 7:10 PM
Another Flannery episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Insert eternal EEing here* They are gonna ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only bad thing about thsi episode is that Ash beats Flannery and Team Rocket interfering, but who cares? Flannery's in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Dies*

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 10:38 PM
I saw the japanese ep of this and I love this ep!!!!!!!! It's the best Hoenn Gym Battle so far!

darkgamerGS
23rd October 2004, 10:40 PM
You've seen this one!? When and where!?

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 10:42 PM
It was totally AGES ago, It was the Japanese version.

But it's not going to be that long until the English version is coming!!

Heracross
23rd October 2004, 10:46 PM
I saw it too, and it was very good. The battle was truly awesome, I can't wait to see it full screen on TV. As I've said before, 4Kids will have no doubt have ruined the music, but with such a solid episode as this one, it should still be quite good.

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 10:59 PM
I know, I love the Advance Advanture tune in the background you know when Corphish uses Crabhammer against Torkoal and it spins around (lol) I watch some episodes just to listen to that background tune.
Also I love the tune when Treecko uses Bullet Seed against Slugma when Slugma has just body slammed it.
Background music is awesome!!

darkgamerGS
24th October 2004, 5:28 AM
I wonder if they'll edit some stuff, like Flannery's entrance seem not so embarassing? Um, what's the English name of this episode if you know? If you don't, when will it be confirmed? Could you PM me when you find out? Please? *This is me being desperate, I hate manners!*

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 11:50 AM
The dubbed title are as far as "Cheer Pressure" so yeh I will PM you the title when it comes out.

darkgamerGS
24th October 2004, 11:51 AM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thnx, P8!

ŁańkaŃ
24th October 2004, 5:06 PM
If they plan to continue the 2 ep per week, that means we'd see this ep...in 4 weeks...YEA...i just want to see this EP...it's goin to be way to intresting...

darkgamerGS
25th October 2004, 12:49 AM
It should air on November 13th, and the suspense is murder!

Factory Head Noland
25th October 2004, 1:02 AM
This is totally one of the best Gym Battles ever but I don't understand why Ash used Treecko in it when he had Taillow, Treecko didn't beat any of Flannery's Pokemon but Taillow probably could have. Treecko got burnt aswell so it was totally useless in this battle.

darkgamerGS
25th October 2004, 1:59 AM
Shows what Ash can do against Fire Gym Leaders using a Treecko.

Pokemon Fan
29th October 2004, 8:12 PM
This is totally one of the best Gym Battles ever but I don't understand why Ash used Treecko in it when he had Taillow, Treecko didn't beat any of Flannery's Pokemon but Taillow probably could have. Treecko got burnt aswell so it was totally useless in this battle.
From what I understand, Treeko was at the time the fastest Pokemon he had besides Pikachu. I think his reasoning was that Treeko would be able to dodge any and all attacks from the fire snails. What he didn't count on were Slugma's repertoire of defensive and debilitating moves, and the fact that Treeko didn't have enough physical strength to make up for it. Once Treeko's leg got burned it couldn't dodge as well.

Yellow
1st November 2004, 12:44 PM
Pokemonisgir12, you need to stop quadrouple posting. Anyway, I can't wait to see this episode because Flannery is hot, and I want to see Torkoal's dub voice. I tink it will be a great gym battle like the one with Brawly.

LuauGirl15
1st November 2004, 1:07 PM
Pokemonisgir12, you need to stop quadrouple posting.

Uh, she hasn't quadruple posted.

I'm looking forward to this match. Just one question:

how come in the past, when pokemon fall asleep, they are unable to battle (like when Ash battled Richie), but in this match, when Corphish falls asleep, he's still aloud to battle?

Geodude
1st November 2004, 1:21 PM
Ash vs Richie is just one example. It just means that the writing has improved over time. Don't forget, in the Silver Conference, Ash's Snorlax was asleep when he sent it out, and it stayed in battle.

frednmethod
15th November 2004, 4:21 PM
Uh... shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to the dub version by now?

Anyways, I have yet to see this episode. This is the only Hoenn gym match I haven't seen among the seven.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 4:25 PM
Oh noes! Bad TC! I foresee much complaining!

Porygandrew
20th November 2004, 4:28 PM
Since the Episode guide doesn't list these, here's the Trainer's Choice

Trainer's Choice:

Which is the best to battle against Forretress? Swellow, Minun, or Seviper?

Kid's WB Answer: Seviper
Minun would have been the better choice. The Steel type negates flying and poison altogether.

Also, Torkoal's voice is fine for never hearing the original version.

The animation with the Ursaring is great!

This was a good episode overall. It introduced new attacks and actually explained how attacks worked. Though I didn't like KWB's mis-translating Treecko getting burned.
The music for this episode was meh. Never seeing the dub, I can only guess it was better.

GardevoirMaster
20th November 2004, 4:32 PM
Well I think this episode was really good. Although Flannery lost, it was still good. The Ursaring in the hot spring with Team Rocket was weird since there arent Ursaring in Hoenn. I liked seeing Overheat, Iron Defense, and Sludge Bomb in the Anime. The Trainers Choice was weird since Seviper isnt good against Foretress. Swellow would have had the Advantage since Its flying type and Bug is weak against Flying.

Porygandrew
20th November 2004, 4:38 PM
Bug is weak against Flying.

That is true, except for forretress's steel type negates almost every physical attack except for Fighting and ground. Steel is also immune to poison which makes it extremely weird that seviper was chosen.

EDIT
On second thought, maybe KWB isn't going off of types, but by attacks? Perhaps out of all of those three choices, seviper knows the best attacks for defeating Forretress? If so, that means that KWB is doing their homework 0.0!

V Faction
20th November 2004, 4:39 PM
Though I didn't like KWB's mis-translating Treecko getting burned.

Yeah, they never specifically say it was burned. But who knows, it could be another case of them translating the dialogue right but instead the actual Japanese episode doesn't mention it, like Shedinja and Wonder Guard. That's a stretch though.

The music for this episode was meh. Never seeing the dub, I can only guess it was better.

Really? The music I heard sounded like it could belong in the original episode, during the middle of the battle at least.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 4:42 PM
On second thought, maybe KWB isn't going off of types, but by attacks? Perhaps out of all of those three choices, seviper knows the best attacks for defeating Forretress? If so, that means that KWB is doing their homework 0.0!

Methinks it's more of a case of them using episode fights to dictate the TC's. In one episode, Seviper actually damages Forretress with Poison Tail, so they could be basing it off of that. It's still silly though.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 4:42 PM
O_O; Did Flannery call Slugma Mag at one point!? Maybe I heard Her wrong.

Porygandrew
20th November 2004, 4:43 PM
Yeah, they never specifically say it was burned. ..... but instead the actual Japanese episode doesn't mention it
Okay, so it's implied then. fair enough.

Really? The music I heard sounded like it could belong in the original episode, during the middle of the battle at least.
Like I said, I haven't seen the original version, so I can't really give too much of an opinion on the music. There wasn't really a chance to use the 'opening'-bgm or whatever it was called, right? Or I just missed that part >.<

Eh, at first I thought they were named the same thing when she called out slugma. 'Mag' and 'Meg' are so close together that they sound extremely similar

Heracross
20th November 2004, 4:45 PM
Well, a lot of the battle music was the same, but most wasn't. Particularly the part when Ash has to send Corphish out while it's alseep. The music playing in the original is much more suspenseful , remember the stuff they first used in "The Ancient Puzzle of Pokémopolis"? In the dub the background music just keeps on going. Blech. At least the music wasn't as mangled as the last episode.

EDIT: If by the opening bgm you mean the new version of the one they always used for recaps of the previous episode, then yes, they did use it. They also used it during the battle with Team Rocket in the last episode. It's a shame they haven't used it in the dub yet, they did a good job redoing it.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 4:46 PM
There wasn't really a chance to use the 'opening'-bgm or whatever it was called, right? Or I just missed that part >.<

I'm not really sure myself. I'll leave all that music stuff to Heracross.

One thing that irked me...

Ash: So, a Macargo, huh?

...makes it sound like he had no clue Flannery would choose Mag, even though he witnessed its evolution just last episode!

L100Meganium
20th November 2004, 4:52 PM
I'm confused, the names sound the same for Flannery's Slugma and Magcargo. @_@

And the TC thing was wrong....Seviper wouldn't be able to attack with poison moves on a part-Steel type. =/

But the Gym battle was awesome! :D I liked Overheat, that was really neat. =D

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 4:52 PM
Oooh another gym battle that didn't disappoint to much. Flannery may be a newbie but she didn't do too bad. Dumb strategy on her part though to start with Magcargo instead of Slugma.

Poor Treecko got totally owned and rightfully so. Is Ash ever going to use Taillow in a gym battle again? *grumble* Pikachu was buuuurned as well though it did okay in knocking out Slugma.

Cool how accurately Reflect and Overheat were represented. And Corphish should finally get some props! Weakling? Ha!

But still it somehow felt lacking in the end. Not the best gym battle ever. Probably woulda been better if Ash faced Moore instead.

3 / 5

Team Idiot in a hotspring.....why?

Robert
20th November 2004, 4:54 PM
This was one of the better Gym Battles, a million times better than the last one. >.< Why the heck Ash picked Treeko over Tailow is something I'll never figure out, but the rest of the battle was good. Seeing Team Rocket getting blasted out of the Hot Spring was great. A good episode overall.

V Faction
20th November 2004, 4:57 PM
I'm confused, the names sound the same for Flannery's Slugma and Magcargo. @_@

That's because they're named Mag and Meg. See how close the two are?

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 4:59 PM
Eh so anyone care to explain the Flannery obsession to me? Roxanne and to a lesser extent Brawly were a hell of alot better then her. Not to mention Roxanne was 10x hotter. ~_^

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 5:04 PM
I gotta admit, Ash's strategy was good, but why he chose Treecko just cause of its speed we'll never find out. Were the TR scenes really necessary?

Bad_Blaziken
20th November 2004, 5:07 PM
I saw that episode today. I liked it, but I didn't like how Ash used Pikachu and Pikachu lost.... I mean Ash has had pikachu for so long don't you think pikachu would be almost unstoppable by now.....

V Faction
20th November 2004, 5:08 PM
Eh so anyone care to explain the Flannery obsession to me? Roxanne and to a lesser extent Brawly were a hell of alot better then her. Not to mention Roxanne was 10x hotter. ~_^

*Shrugs* Don't know. Maybe it's the outfit. Maybe it's *cough* other features. What's intriguing to me though is that you're a Female and you find Roxanna hot. Nice.

Togepi Trainer
20th November 2004, 5:47 PM
PEOPLE, Seviper, it can learn Flamethrower, and fire > steel AND bug, so meh!

I liked this episode, 8/10

Space Skitty
20th November 2004, 5:56 PM
I think the battle was awesome and everything, but was Ash a little TOO pushy? I mean, he sounded pretty mean when he returned Corphish then later (when it's his last Pokemon) he calls it "buddy?" Seemed to me like he was sorta using Corphish... :/ And I think he also acted too harsh when he started stomping his feet & saying he wouldn't quit. But, that's just me. Overall the battle was great and strategy (my favorite part of a battle) was also interesting. Ash & Flannery both had some pretty good strategies. And Corphish rocked! ^_^

Juputoru
20th November 2004, 5:59 PM
PEOPLE, Seviper, it can learn Flamethrower, and fire > steel AND bug, so meh!
Ah, but 4Kids doesn't seem to take into account anything BUT what's been seen in the anime so far. And I haven't seen Seviper use Flamethrower in the anime. But that's beside the point - the trainer's choices are bad, and need a LOT more thought put into them. Or better yet, just scrap them and use a regular eyecatch.

Lindsay
20th November 2004, 6:02 PM
*Shrugs* Don't know. Maybe it's the outfit. Maybe it's *cough* other features. What's intriguing to me though is that you're a Female and you find Roxanna hot. Nice.

The outfit and character design is ugly. She would fit in better with that Yaoi-gi-oh show. Her hairstyle is atrocious....and wether its 4Kids doing or not, her rack changed size in almost every scene. Bleh.

Togepi Trainer
20th November 2004, 6:03 PM
Can't you accept that 4kids may have done something right? Instead of whining, just think that maybe they DID do research, as this TC was harder.

Heracross
20th November 2004, 6:04 PM
I mean, he sounded pretty mean when he returned Corphish then later (when it's his last Pokemon) he calls it "buddy?" Seemed to me like he was sorta using Corphish... :/ And I think he also acted too harsh when he started stomping his feet & saying he wouldn't quit.

Well, I don't think he was trying to be mean as much as he was just frustrated. I know I get frustrated when my pokémon are put to sleep. And don't forget how fired up (pun intended :p) Ash can get over gym battles and such, he was just really getting into the battle and he doesn't like giving up without a fight.

Gravy
20th November 2004, 7:02 PM
Can't you accept that 4kids may have done something right? Instead of whining, just think that maybe they DID do research, as this TC was harder.
I doubt they did research into it at all. I'm willing to bet they just went and assumed that poison attacks would effect Foretress because its a bug type, and didn't think the added steel type would make much difference. Although, that would bring up the question of why the hell Swellow was there. But I'll stick by my opinion of how they're working with these things.

Considering the amount of shows they are dubbing all at once, in such short amounts of time, which includes translation, editing, music changes and casting the voices to fit lip flaps, I doubt they'd have enough time to look over all the attacks pokémon learn.

The outfit and character design is ugly. She would fit in better with that Yaoi-gi-oh show. Her hairstyle is atrocious....and wether its 4Kids doing or not, her rack changed size in almost every scene. Bleh.
I don't think she's a badly designed myself...well, apart from the fact that she is twig-thin at certain points.
This episode was done by the best team of animators, so its surprising that they had some...*ahem*...inconsistancies concerning size ^^;

...y'know, I wish these episodes would air in the UK sooner, that way I could actually take part in these discussions properly ~.~ Another 4 weeks to go until this episode airs...

Pika Hikari KT
20th November 2004, 7:07 PM
Time for another Gym Battle...Not as excellent as the last Fire Gym Battle(Charizard vs. Magmar), but good nonetheless. I should've known Mag and Meg's nicknames would be kept as is.(I overslept and missed the first eppie) They acknowleged the facts that Overheat gets weaker the more it's used, and that Reflect stays around for 5 turns(I almost forgot about that!^_^; ). And the Trainers Choice almost got me: I chose Swellow; since it's fast and Flying attacks do neutral damage to Forretress. When they said it was Seviper; I was all WTF because Poison does zip to Steel Types! Then I remembered later that Seviper can learn Flamethrower by TM(which can pretty much KO Forretress on the spot)...Pretty smart by 4Kids! I give it 8/10.

darkgamerGS
20th November 2004, 7:13 PM
Yeah, they did something right for once. I was thinking Plusle or Swellow. *Is still intimidated*

Indigo
20th November 2004, 7:13 PM
This match was pretty damn good.

Pros:

-Ashy boy gettin' all fired up...very cute. I don't find any problem with it. In fact, it kind of balances out the old, arrogant Ash with the new, mature Ash. So everybody's happy! ^^
-Flannery is pretty cool. She's a good battler and knows when something works.
-You have to give Corphish some credit, guys. He held up pretty damn long, and he really pulled through.
-The animation was phenomenal in this ep. One part that was especially good was Pikachu breaking the Reflect attack.
-Pika lost! THANK YOU!

Cons(Here comes my rant...):

-I wish Flannery knew what she was doing some more. It kind of seemed like a fluke.

-Okay, here's the rant, people. I shall start it with two words, and end with the same two. Here we go.

FAVORITISM SUCKS. You say that you don't know why Ash chose Treecko over Taillow. I'll tell you why. Favoritism. You don't know why Ash compliments one Pokémon and then is frustrated when another one loses? Favoritism. Why would Ash be angry with Corphish to wake up at first, and then use "buddy"? Favoritism! There were blatant acts of it all around this episode! Ash says it's all up to Pikachu when he still has two other Pokémon. Disabled, but he has them. He acts as if he uses Corphish, and is only happy with it when it wins, and he says that Treecko and him have teamwork on their side. SO DOES TAILLOW AND HIM! Or do they? We'll never know, because Ash can't seem to get over this new "I'll use this one because I've used it more so I KNOW it's stronger!" phase. FAVORITISM SUCKS.

*end o' rant.*

ŁańkaŃ
20th November 2004, 7:24 PM
It was good, i never thought i'd be this good, untill we watch it...as this was excellent...

Togemon
20th November 2004, 7:38 PM
Well, I slept in and missed the first episode, darn it...
Well, Flanery's voice was ok, a little annoying and over used, could have been better. But one other thing that annoyed me was Macargo using Double Team, isn't that like a speed attack, and it's a slug o_O Weird to me...
I liked the battle, yay for Corphish shining through, but IMO Ash should have used poor under used Taillow instead of Treecko, I mean it seems Ash forgot he has a Taillow...

pokeplayer984
20th November 2004, 8:25 PM
Well, this was a good battle. I was amazed at how Ash got past Iron Defense. He knew that by spinning Torkoal around, he would make it too dizzy to defend itself. I always expect Ash to pull off some sort of brilliant strategy when he's in a tight spot.

Such a great battle. I really liked this ep, dispite it's bad title.

Oh, and I think I know why 4Kids chose Seviper. Look at Seviper's movepool. It can learn Flamethrower. I suspect that being the reason why they chose Seviper. :)

Anyways, gets 9/10.

See ya.

;151; - Mew!

Geodude
20th November 2004, 8:35 PM
Hopefully the rest of the online community now fully understands the sexiness that is Flannery. :D

spacefissure
20th November 2004, 9:29 PM
The episode was good, but there was one problem...

Ash sent out Corphish, and Flannery sent out Mag. Then we see Team Rocket looking through their binoculars, and then we see a shot of the entire ring. In that shot, Mag and Corphish weren't there!

Other than that, the episode was good. I give it a 9.5/10

MetaMew
20th November 2004, 10:31 PM

Yes, I do recall hearing her say slumga Mag or slugmag, something like that. Overall, this was a nice episode of pokemon. I think Ash's strategy was good getting corphish to use crabhammer on the smokescreen and pikachu using thunderbolt as well. What really looked queer to me was the ursarings I saw in the hot springs. They looked a little to papery(sp?).

V Faction
20th November 2004, 10:38 PM
I think Ash's strategy was good getting corphish to use crabhammer on the smokescreen and pikachu using thunderbolt as well.

Smog, not Smokescreen. The Slugma line doesn't get Smokescreen.

What really looked queer to me was the ursarings I saw in the hot springs. They looked a little to papery(sp?).

What the heck... It's just an Animation style, a pretty neat one at that. There's nothing "queer" about it.

Kamex
21st November 2004, 12:30 AM
This was an o.k. battle, they were pretty even throughout the whole thing. But Torkoal kept using Iron Defense, which I thought only raises Defense, not Special Defense. Besides, it looked more like it was using Withdraw.

Team Rocket had that idea about barging in on the gym battle and stealing the Pokemon again, and James noticed when he said he had De Ja Vu. That strategy was used in the battle vs. Bugsy and Roxanne, I think.

Uh, yeah...that's all. 8/10.

V Faction
21st November 2004, 12:48 AM
This was an o.k. battle, they were pretty even throughout the whole thing. But Torkoal kept using Iron Defense, which I thought only raises Defense, not Special Defense. Besides, it looked more like it was using Withdraw.

Nope, twas Iron Defense all right. I know it's a little hard to distinguish, though I'm sure if Torkoal had used Withdraw it would've done the same exact motions.

And the whole "Defense move protects against Special Attacks" thing has been done before in the Anime. In fact, Corphish used Harden to defend against Flamethrower in the same battle. In the show, defensive moves apply to all forms of defense and can protect the user from either a Physical or Special assault. A little confusing at first, but you get used to it.

meggirl63
21st November 2004, 1:34 AM
Ash Ketchum was ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yellow
21st November 2004, 1:59 AM
I loved this gym battle episode. It was really good, and I can't believe Flannery's Torkoal took out Pikachu and Treecko in one hit with Overheat!! Flannery was REALLY hot too. Those sand bath things look awesome too. The only thing that sucked was that Trainer Choice was wrong in both episodes today. Stupid KidsWB..

Psychic Venusaur
21st November 2004, 2:21 AM
Nope, twas Iron Defense all right. I know it's a little hard to distinguish, though I'm sure if Torkoal had used Withdraw it would've done the same exact motions.

And the whole "Defense move protects against Special Attacks" thing has been done before in the Anime. In fact, Corphish used Harden to defend against Flamethrower in the same battle. In the show, defensive moves apply to all forms of defense and can protect the user from either a Physical or Special assault. A little confusing at first, but you get used to it.

Sometimes they distinguish between the two

The battle was cool. Ash needs to use Taillow a lot more than he does. All the time it's Treecko this and Corphish that and Pikachu everything, while Taillow sits on the sidelines for his occasional Rocket balloon searching and popping. If using Treecko was about speed, Taillow would have been a better choice.

The episode didn't have much to do with the Yawn attack, but they found a pun that they could use

Like Blue Pokemon Master said, they did dig under the Azalea and Rustboro Gyms, like James noticed

The Trainer's choice was messed up. Poison attacks don't do anything to Steel-types. I think Minun would have been the best choice to use. Being Poison-type, Seviper is ruled out. That leaves Minun and Swellow. Forretress's steel attacks are bad against Minun, and its bug attacks are bad against Swellow. Without ackknowledging stats, they would both be equal choices. However, Forretress's base defense more than doubles it's Sp. Def., so Minun would probably be the best choice

It was a cool episode, 8/10

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
21st November 2004, 2:50 AM
This was a great episode. I agree though, the Ursarings were flat out AWFULLY animated. But, I liked how Yawn looked, but Corpish should've held up for a few attacks and then collapse from Yawn. That would've been pretty funny, 'cause Ash would've gone mad. Reflect was another cool feature, but what I loved here was the Thunderbolt and Smog effect. That was really cool; I loved it. They should include that in the game(expect with Smokescreen).

Overall rating:
9.7 out of 10!!!!
Probably the best Gym battle we've seen in a while!! Keep it up, KidsWB!!!!!!!!!

Swellow
21st November 2004, 3:03 AM
This ep. Airs tommorrow because of my affiliate and slept in During Poetry Commotion. Now Geodude just curious relating to your question and OT but in Advanced Challenge uhm how old is Winonna supposed to be if you know, can you pm me or so thanks.
This ep. looks cool and Ash obviously wins.

Psychic Venusaur
21st November 2004, 3:15 AM
I almost forgot, never get between an Ursaring and a hot spring, as shown in this episode and "Entei At Your Own Risk" Those Ursaring are getting a bad name...

Kijuna
21st November 2004, 5:37 AM
Is it just me, or was Treecko animated extremely well this episode?

Team Idiot in a hotspring.....why?

Fangirl answer: Shirtless James

Real answer: When they were digging the hole to get Pikachu, the hole hit a water thingy and flooded.

And I think he also acted too harsh when he started stomping his feet & saying he wouldn't quit.

Ash has been harsh in his gym battles lately. Remember Treecko and Brawly thr first time? Alas, puberty rears it's ugly head.

I'm gonna be a rebel here and disagree on Ursaring. They were wonderfull animated. The style easily showed their anger and unreasonability perfectly. How many times is it gonna take until TR becomes Ursaphobic?

Destiny Bond
21st November 2004, 5:44 AM
I like today's episode. Finally, the long awaited gym battle. I'm glad Ash finally won his fourth badge and it seems like the Anime will fasten its pace the way its going. Hmm, I noticed quite a few things after this episode was over. Even though this is not the Poetry Commotion episode, I realized that most Slugmas in the Anime end up evolving into Magcargo. I found that interesting. And I thought Iron Defense from Torkoal would have it shine like Iron rather than hiding under its shell (because that would be more like Withdraw). And I also noticed how Ash commanded Corphish to use Crabhammer to clear the Smog attack when I realized that Corphish also learns Swords Dance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't trainers usually command a Swords Dance to knock away attacks? I don't know but I thought it could have been Swords Dance instead. It doesn't matter...

And why Ursaring? I feel bad for Team Rocket now. Not only is Pikachu doing to honors in blasting TR off but also the Ursaring. I am starting to lose my respect for the Ursaring because of their grumpiness.

I liked it and I love Flannery. Her hairstyle is just so unique. Haha.. yeah so I rate this episode a 8 out of 10. Good episode...

Akane
21st November 2004, 6:44 AM
This epsidoe was so great!! Yay. I am so happy Ash won his fourth badge. Ash had great stragey. I was shocked that he brought out Treecko. o_o It got burned by the leg *ouch* but it try to keep fighting(^^). I also enjoyed Corphish's and Pikachu's way of battling. Even though Pikachu lost...aww, man. Corphish came victortous and won that badge for Ash(^^). Man that was a turn around(Corphish was asleep...). I was at the edge of my seat. I liked Flannery's Torkoal. I liked its Iron Defense. I mean when Pikachu and Corphish try to attack from its shell, they bounce off. Treecko bounce off too. But Ash found the way make Corphish attack from the side. So great. I really enjoyed this very much. Flannery will become a great Gym Leader someday. :)

Geodude
21st November 2004, 6:53 AM
The Trainer's choice was messed up. Poison attacks don't do anything to Steel-types. I think Minun would have been the best choice to use. Being Poison-type, Seviper is ruled out. That leaves Minun and Swellow. Forretress's steel attacks are bad against Minun, and its bug attacks are bad against Swellow. Without ackknowledging stats, they would both be equal choices. However, Forretress's base defense more than doubles it's Sp. Def., so Minun would probably be the best choice

Not at all, Seviper is an excellent choice against Forretress, since any good Seviper would know Flamethrower.

Cloud Strife
21st November 2004, 8:15 AM
Not at all, Seviper is an excellent choice against Forretress, since any good Seviper would know Flamethrower.

They're either idiots, or they are going much too deep for the majority of novices who watch this show.
Anyway, I have seen the light, I now understand all the Flannery freaks around here, it all makes sense, that girl is smokin hot. This episode would have only got a 8/10 normally, but like its counterpart, it easily moves to 10/10 for having Flannery in it.

darkgamerGS
21st November 2004, 3:13 PM
Only a 10/10? That's so low. I would give it an infinity/10 and... OMG, you think Flannery's hot? Didn't see that coming from you. XD

Pokemon Fan
21st November 2004, 9:15 PM
FAVORITISM SUCKS. You say that you don't know why Ash chose Treecko over Taillow. I'll tell you why. Favoritism. You don't know why Ash compliments one Pokémon and then is frustrated when another one loses? Favoritism. Why would Ash be angry with Corphish to wake up at first, and then use "buddy"? Favoritism! There were blatant acts of it all around this episode!
I think you've misinterpreted a fair number of these. If a Pokemon falls asleep are you going to softly talk to it? No! You're going to yell and beg it to wake up!

As for using Treeko, I think it may not have been a coincidence that Ash lost despite type advantage recently against Drew's Roselia. Ash likes to prove he can win when the type is against him, so he used Treeko. In the future he will continue to do this as he knows it tests his abilities more and helps his Pokemon grow stronger faster.

Ash says it's all up to Pikachu when he still has two other Pokémon.
At the time it seemed Pikachu was his best bet, given it was the only one in a good battle condition at the time. After it lost, Ash adapted. It was hardly wrong of him to tell Pikachu that.

He acts as if he uses Corphish, and is only happy with it when it wins,
Personality-wise, Corphish has been one of the most difficult Pokemon of Ash's for him to deal with. Yet he's been amazingly patient with it on a number of occassions and hasn't given up on it. I don't see the justification for your argument.

and he says that Treecko and him have teamwork on their side. SO DOES TAILLOW AND HIM! Or do they? We'll never know, because Ash can't seem to get over this new "I'll use this one because I've used it more so I KNOW it's stronger!" phase. FAVORITISM SUCKS.
If it makes you feel any better, Taillow will get a LOT of use in the future, to the point of Corphish becoming the one you might call "neglected."

Lindsay
21st November 2004, 10:35 PM
Aw I wouldn't be so hard on Ash. He wasn't nearly as short-tempered as other gym battles. If you remember he had Pikachu calm down and "sense" Slugma's movements and that was part of his training back for the Brawly rematch. It was good to see all of that wasn't for one shot so to speak. Of course he wouldn't be happy with Corphish being in a sleep state but he didn't really seem harsh or overbearing to me.

Indigo
21st November 2004, 11:24 PM
I think you've misinterpreted a fair number of these. If a Pokemon falls asleep are you going to softly talk to it? No! You're going to yell and beg it to wake up!

True, but that wasn't my point. My point was that Ash starts to use "buddy" only at the very end, and something about that just bugged me...

As for using Treeko, I think it may not have been a coincidence that Ash lost despite type advantage recently against Drew's Roselia. Ash likes to prove he can win when the type is against him, so he used Treeko. In the future he will continue to do this as he knows it tests his abilities more and helps his Pokemon grow stronger faster.

Also true, and I agree, but we also know that Taillow needs WAY more training and attention from Ash than Treecko, so that's really why he should have used the poor thing. That's the favoritism part of it.

At the time it seemed Pikachu was his best bet, given it was the only one in a good battle condition at the time. After it lost, Ash adapted. It was hardly wrong of him to tell Pikachu that.

"Best bet" is different than "all up to you". Ash should've known better than to say something like that, something that might have made Treecko or Corphish a bit jealous or unwanted later on.

Personality-wise, Corphish has been one of the most difficult Pokemon of Ash's for him to deal with. Yet he's been amazingly patient with it on a number of occassions and hasn't given up on it. I don't see the justification for your argument.

On the contrary, Ash has been very impatient with Corphish on a number of occasions, the most blatant of these instances being when he tried to scare the living crap out of the thing to make it behave.

If it makes you feel any better, Taillow will get a LOT of use in the future, to the point of Corphish becoming the one you might call "neglected."

I know that already, but as of now, I'm disappointed in Ash's choices. I hope he balances out the team more often, but I doubt that's going to happen. I already have an idea about how much Torkoal's going to be used, and it doesn't look good...

Cloud Strife
22nd November 2004, 1:47 AM
Only a 10/10? That's so low. I would give it an infinity/10 and... OMG, you think Flannery's hot? Didn't see that coming from you. XD

Trust me, I was just as shocked as you. I could not believe it.

I know that already, but as of now, I'm disappointed in Ash's choices. I hope he balances out the team more often, but I doubt that's going to happen. I already have an idea about how much Torkoal's going to be used, and it doesn't look good...

No, the lack of using that thing looks very good, the less the better. And actually Tailow persay really will never be used alot, if you know what I mean. :D

~*Aurora Wish*~
24th November 2004, 3:47 AM
Yay! The latest episode! Flannery's grandpa was funny. And Flannery was the best part!

darkgamerGS
24th November 2004, 3:59 AM
Yay! Someone else that agrees! You're cool for saying that Flannery's the best part of the episode!

Geodude
24th November 2004, 6:21 AM
Someone else? You're including me in those people that also agree right? :D

Cloud Strife
24th November 2004, 6:15 PM
Yay! Someone else that agrees! You're cool for saying that Flannery's the best part of the episode!

Since the battle was not that good, Jessie and James were worse than usual, and I don't think we had a Giovanni dream scene. Than without a doubt she was the best part of this episode.

Indigo
24th November 2004, 11:11 PM

Add me to that list. The gym battle itself was pretty cool, but Flannery was cooler; the best Gym Leader ever seen so far, with the exception of Sabrina and possibly Winona.

...and this is coming from a girl who has no interest in other girls...in fact I adore Ash Ketchum more than is healthy. ^^;;

In other words, I'M NOT GAY.

Flannery just has a very good personality, and she really made the episode great.

Swellow
24th November 2004, 11:45 PM
This episode airs on Black Friday so I can catch the Repeat Yay

Hales
25th November 2004, 12:04 AM
Is there any good none TR quotes around from this episode? I'm deprived of new Pokemon episodes... *sniffles*

darkgamerGS
25th November 2004, 3:43 AM
XD Of course, all you people that say Flannery's cool is on my list. Wait, which list, my list of people that think She's cool, or my Asuna/Flannery Fan Club list? *Confused*

Alfonso
25th November 2004, 3:06 PM
Hopefully the rest of the online community now fully understands the sexiness that is Flannery. :D

They will when they fully understand the utter sexiness and wonderfullness of Roxanne. ^_~ (Who is NOT a man in drag. Seriously. :P)

Anyway... *sweatdrops* I've seen this episode in Japanese. It's the Gym Battle one, yes? (Or is this the Hole Filled Battlefield one? I've seen both.)

Crystal Latios
25th November 2004, 3:10 PM
(Who is NOT a man in drag. Seriously. :P)

You never know XD

Swellow
26th November 2004, 10:34 PM
Flannery Is Very Sexy but not as much as Misty personally. Since I only saw this ep. missed the first part It was a good badge, liked how they used Status Conditions, Glad Pika lost :), Torkoal's voice was awesome hopefully Ash's will be better. Even though I still prefer Brawly's Rematch as the best Hoenn Gym so far, haven't seen Roxanne's or Brawly first one.

ronster486
28th November 2004, 5:21 AM
The battle in this episode was good but I think Overheat was over-exagerated a bit when it was making 1 hit KOs. Overall Ash showed good strategy and thats why he won. 8.7/10

Heracross
28th November 2004, 5:24 AM
Well, Overheat is a very powerful attack and should not be underestimated. I remember Flannery destroyed me with it a few times before I was able to beat her. Also take into account that both pokémon that were knocked out by overheat had already taken considerable damage.

Chris
30th November 2004, 3:44 AM
Man, the dub of this episode wasn't too bad at all. Two things caught my attention. Sean Schmelle (Goku and Kaio-sama of DBZ/DBGT) was doing the voice of Flannery's grandfather and they kept Typhlosion's voice the same in the previous episode. o_o I still don't get why 4Kids has to keep redubbing Magcargo's voice even though it has the same freakin' name in Japanese yet keep Typhlosion's who's clearly shouting "BAKU!" o_O Torkoal's wasn't tolerable either. :\ Although I thought Flannery's voice was absolutely perfect.

And is it me..or did the animators go overboard with Flannery's hips and keep shrinking the size of it? Looked a little TOO skinny at some points. XD

Alakazam
19th December 2004, 1:24 PM
Well now I've seen it about a month after o_O. Anyway, episode was well laid out, and I like the way Sludge Bomb was done, but Iron Defense seems a bit overpowered to me.

Sharpshooter
19th December 2004, 5:43 PM
Like what her grandad said, she used overheat both too early and too frequently, hindering her defensive capabilities. Doing Crabhammer on the side? I guess, since Toakoal was too fat to fit in it's shell. Put it on a strict diet regime from now on.

Factory Head Noland
21st December 2004, 1:59 AM
I love this episode but one problem is that there wasn't the Advanced Adventure theme in the background when Corphish uses Crabhammer on Torkoal for the last time.

El Georgio
21st December 2004, 2:48 PM
Hmm... I saw this ep at the weekend (English version) The battle was weird because I thought Ash lost but he still had Corphish and Treecko left

Torkoal Stu
21st December 2004, 6:31 PM
but Iron Defense seems a bit overpowered to me.

i agree but overheat looked so cool, so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is the best gym battle yet, flannery is my fav gym leader but i just hate the dub title here are some ideas i thought were better than -going going yawn-

-torkoal troubles- (because ash has trouble with torkoal)
-burning torkoal- (pun on burning charcoal)
-slower than a torkoal- (pun on the words slower than a tortoise)
-a burning flannery- (pun on the words a burning flame)
-fourth badge blues- (dunno why but i like it)

Chris
21st December 2004, 8:15 PM
Advance Adventure's BGM theme plays even to this day. The dub plays it simply because there's nothing wrong with it (they've played OK!'s BGM during Johto). But there are times when they don't play it when it should be playing (like in the Enekororo episode).

As for Kootasu's Iron Defense, it clearly wasn't overpowered. It was taking advantage of its hard shell. Problem was that its weight was in its shell, and flipping it over leaves its vulnerable spot open. Were it really overpowered, there'd be no weak spot.

Pokemon Fan
26th December 2004, 11:59 PM
Hmm... I saw this ep at the weekend (English version) The battle was weird because I thought Ash lost but he still had Corphish and Treecko left
That's because he switched them out before they were actually beaten. Though it sometimes happened in Kanto, since then almost always even if a Pokemon is put to sleep it isn't considered beaten until it has actually been knocked unconscious (sleep being just another level of consciousness).

Kyumi
5th May 2005, 5:10 AM
I saw the japanese ep of this and I love this ep!!!!!!!! It's the best Hoenn Gym Battle so far!

oh i TOTALLY agree with you. this episode seemed like a completely different caliber than they had been previously. I personally think the first few episodes at the beginning of the hoenn series were mega weak sauce plot-wise. this one totally made up for them though.

xyzman123
6th May 2005, 4:00 AM
I missed the beginning but at least I caught the battle. :)

jolteonjak
5th July 2005, 4:18 AM
This episode played this afternoon. I couldn't pass up seeing it again. Damn, I just love the part when Torkoal kicked the crap out of Pikachu with Sludge Bomb.

Strategically, this was one of Ash's better battles.

The episode didn't have much to do with the Yawn attack, but they found a pun that they could use

The whole point of the title was that Yawn almost lost the battle for Ash. If Corphish had not awakened in time he would have lost.

Geki
16th August 2005, 12:13 AM
This was one of my favorite Gym Battle episodes in a while. Corphish and Pikachu battled great, Corphish the best. My favorite parts were when Pikachu dodged the barrage of Sludge Bomb, and when Corphish spun and flipped over Torkoal.

8/10

grovile
26th August 2005, 8:11 PM
A great episode.
I like Ash talk 'Way'd ago''
The match are intensiv an have great music.

wobbanut
26th September 2005, 10:32 PM
At least this was a pretty interesting gym battle episode. I liked Corphish waking up again when it was being cooked with flamethrower (LOL), Corphish spinning around torkoal with crabhammer, and the flashback with Flannery falling asleep while her grandfather's lecturing. I also liked Team Rocket getting to spend some time in the hot springs. :) I'm also glad Ash learned a lesson about underestimating a new gym leader.

Aptenodytes
30th October 2005, 5:57 PM
it was a pretty good gym battle overall. at least he didnt get his badge by helping clean up the gym for her :P

pikachu146
12th March 2006, 9:24 AM
Corphish was cool in this battle,Crabhammering it's way through the sandstorm.Piklachu did a good job,too,with the quick attack and thunderbolt combo.

Super Wario 64
1st April 2006, 5:13 PM
This AND Poetry Commotion have the world's Hottest Gym Leader Gal!

Gravy
28th October 2006, 3:26 PM
There's something that's been bothering me for a while about this episode (and to some extent, the Pokeringer one), and surprise, surprise, it concerns the animation; Just who the hell did provide the direction? Now, I've seen Hirooka credited for working on this one alone, but the fact that a lot of scenes have an art style that just reeks of Tokuda (just LOOK at Haruka and Flannery) makes me think otherwise. I'm certain that there must have been a little collaboration going on at the very least, so is it possible that Tokuda went uncredited or could it simply be down to a translation error?
I know that few people around here actually know/care about this sort of thing, but if anyone has any insight into the matter, some elaboration would be appreciated~

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 9:38 AM
This was a pretty good gym battle. I don't know why Ash would use Treecko instead of Taillow but oh well.

(s.i.e)
27th January 2009, 3:22 PM
most gym battles are awesome and this one was too, i liked watching this episode 9/10.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:37 PM
Flannery is my fave fire gymleader...she got some good Pokemon's

Ash-kid
2nd December 2009, 2:32 PM
Good gym battle
The battle between Pikachu and Slugma was great, i loved it.
And Corphish was amazing in this battle...

Lorde
3rd December 2009, 4:36 AM
I liked the fact that it took place outside for once.

Flannery was actually stronger than in the games. Her Torkoal's Overheat really took it's toll on Ash's Pokemon.

Overall, a 6/10

ClassicalwaterPokemon
4th January 2010, 9:47 AM
This episode was really good. 9/10

Willow's Tara
4th May 2010, 5:46 AM
This and Poetry Commotion are pretty much two favorite episodes of mine soley because of Flannery since she's one of my favorite characters (Glad she got two episodes instead of one, but five or even random appearances like Gardenia would have been awesome). The battle was pretty good though, interesting that out of all the Gym leaders Ash caught a Pokemon because Flannery had the same one (Torkoal) and real soon after the episode.

KGB13
28th August 2010, 6:46 AM
This was a very good episode and the Gym battle was great.

I just wish Flannery had a Camerupt like she does in Emerald.

G50
3rd March 2011, 5:28 AM
This episode was very cool. I really liked this 3 on 3 gym battle. It was cool to see Slugma's Yawn attack for the 1st time. It was cool to see Corphish use Crabhammer on Torkoal and then it just spun around getting dizzy. It made no sense for Ash to use Treecko in this battle, and it didn't even win a battle. I'm glad Ash won this gym battle.

86/100

Vernikova
29th June 2012, 4:07 PM
It was an interesting episode to say the least. I'm not really going to comment on the battle in this episode since it wasn't very interesting. Obviously, Flannery wasn't the best Gym Leader in terms of battling but she was rather impressive for a new Gym Leader.

7threst
28th September 2012, 7:20 PM
I think this gym battle was really solid done (even if it was a little forgettable). I think both Flannery and Ash did a great display in this gym battle and I loved how Ash used his strategy of recalling when necessary. I also think it displayed Torkoal as a very powerful Pokémon and I was happy to see Ash capturing one later.

Aquarelle
23rd September 2013, 2:40 AM
I loved how Corphish slept through a couple of Fire attacks from Torkoal. Corphish's reaction when it woke up in the fire was hilarious too. I liked how Corphish hit Torkoal on the side in order to get it to come out of its shell, that was a great strategy IMO. I would have preferred seeing Ash use Taillow over Treecko in this battle, though I did find it funny when Treecko fainted right away against Torkoal.

Team Rocket at the hot spring was funny. They just seemed so high out of it and I liked it when the Ursaring attacked them.

AquaMilotic
29th November 2013, 2:10 AM
I'm a fan of Flannery, she's cool, it was fun to watch the battle. Overheat is a move I always saw as cool in the games, and in the anime too. And like Aquarelle said in the post above mine, Corpish's reaction was pretty epic. It was fun to see Flannery being strong, but also not fully confident, her clumsiness is cute. And I like the Team Rocket scenes in the hot spring. The episode was forgettable, but still cool, I know that sounds contradictionary, but still. 7/10.

PokemontrainerY
14th December 2013, 6:39 PM
"Going, Going, Yawn"?! Eeeh, what a crappy dub title. Titles like this are the reason why I don't like punny dub titles. 4kids should've picked a better dub title for this episode.

Anyways, this episode picked up from where "Poetry Commotion!" Ash and Flannery started their Gym battle by sending out Magcargo and Corphish respectively. Magcargo didn't give Ash much trouble, as his Corphish was pretty much owning Magcargo in the battle. Magcargo tried to block Cophish's attacks with Reflect, but Corphish took it out a powerful Crabhammer. But then he sent out Trekoo against Flannery's Slugma! Ugh, why did he choose Treecko aganist Slugma even after knowing that Grass-type is weak to Fire-type ? I would be better if Ash used Taillow over Treecko in the battle. It's a shame that Treecko and Corphish didn't do much aganist Slugma, but I liked how Pikachu defeated Magmer by electrifying the Smog with Thunderbolt. It was smart of Ash to use Thunderbolt on Slugma's Smog to zap it. Flannery's next and final Pokémon was Torkoal. I have to admit, Torkoal's Iron Defence/Overheat combo was really powerful. First Torkoal blocked Pikachu's Iron tail with Iron Defence, then it took down Pikachu with Overheat.

Treecko fainting so fast against Torkoal wasn't surprising, since he's weak to Fire-Type Pokémon. Corphish was Ash's only Pokémon left. . . .and he totally owned the battle. It's awesome how Corphish managed to take a couple of Fire-type moves from Torkoal. Also, Ash's strategy of hitting Torkoal on its side and forcing it out was really good, it worked like it should.

Overall, a great episode. The battle between Ash and Flannery was really awesome and both of them did great in the battle. I'm glad Ash got the Heat Badge. Also, I liked seeing Flannery in action, she is the Hottest Hoenn Gym leader.

Painkiller2001
3rd November 2014, 11:41 PM
I can definitely say that this battle was much better than the Mauville City battle, well, at least to me.
I liked seeing Ash make all those substitutions of his Pokemon. :)