PDA

View Full Version : All Torkoal, No Play! (334)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 2:27 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/334.jpgAll Torkoal, No Play!

On their travels, Ash & Co. see a Wild Torkoal being attacked by many Steel type Pokémon. Worried for it, they go to assist. However the steel Pokémon wont let them through so Ash decides to teach the Torkoal how to defend itself. Will he succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/334.shtml)

Discuss

Factory Head Noland
23rd October 2004, 9:41 PM
This episode is so cool! I was so shocked when I found out that Ash has caught a Torkoal!
I didn't like the part when the Magneton attacked May and Torchic though!!

ŁańkaŃ
24th October 2004, 4:07 PM
Well, Torkoal being caught was a good think...but it would have been better for a Numel...ah who cares...

well, if they air 2 ep per weeks then we'll see this in 5 weeks..YEA...such good news...i hope this does happen...

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 4:38 PM
When the title was first shown on the website I always thought that the gang were going to meet up with Flannery again and I thought that the Torkoal on the preview picture was Flannery's so I was totally shocked when I saw that Ash had caught a Torkoal. I love Ash's Torkoal, it cried when it's happy!

I don't think that they will air new 2 eps a week for very long because they will be racing ahead.

Cyndaquil
24th October 2004, 6:11 PM
I Love Torkoal as i have one on Ruby! I thought Ash would get Numel too!

Thriller
4th November 2004, 3:50 PM
I'm sick and tired of people saying Torkoal is underused. Right now, they are around water, yes Torkoal loves to swim but it still isnt good for her.

Torkoal always acts like a whimp because of the abuse the steel pokemon gave her.

Crystal Latios
4th November 2004, 4:15 PM
Awwww..... this Torkoal is sweet ^_^ I luv her *she hugs Torkoal baby*
Also, she wanted fight with Stellix. How brave.
What song did they use? "Let`s Go"! or something like that :rolleyes:
Ending was sweet^^

I still think, Torkoal is a girl. She is so sensitive^^

frednmethod
6th November 2004, 4:30 PM
I was really glad because Ash had finally caught his fifth pokemon.
And torkoal was a good choice.

Gravy
6th November 2004, 4:39 PM
Awwww..... this Torkoal is sweet ^_^ I luv her *she hugs Torkoal baby*
Its a female Torkoal then? Well...I'm certainly surprised to say the least 0.o;

V Faction
6th November 2004, 5:00 PM
Its a female Torkoal then? Well...I'm certainly surprised to say the least 0.o;

No, it's just that people love to assign inane genders to the gang's Pokiemon for whatever reason. Torkoal's really emotional, but whether that signifies it is a Female has yet to be seen.

Gravy
6th November 2004, 6:09 PM
No, it's just that people love to assign inane genders to the gang's Pokiemon for whatever reason. Torkoal's really emotional, but whether that signifies it is a Female has yet to be seen.
Blah, trust me, I'm very familliar with debates and arguments based on the gender of insert pokémon here.
Although, I'm just wondering if its voice is what makes its gender a little more obvious, as they usually do it that way in the japanese version. I haven't heard Ash's one, so I'm not all too sure, but if anyone has, do tell if it sounds feminine or not. *is rather curious*

Espeon And Umbreon
7th November 2004, 9:05 AM
The episode was quite good. I watched it at my grandparent's house while I was on vacation. It was freezing down there though. Episode is very good and I loved the scene when Turkoal blew the smoke from its nose!

Yellow
10th November 2004, 2:50 AM
I can't wait until Ash captures his fourth pokemon!! Torkoal is cool and powerful, and I really want to here the dun title to this episode.

ŁańkaŃ
20th November 2004, 6:28 PM
Well, this one is intresting...

i totally like Torokoal now...but i hope Ash's Torkoal gots a betta voice as it wouldn't sound good for it when it cry's and it has Flannary's Torkoal's Voice...which would TOTALLY SUCK

Tamer Zack
20th November 2004, 6:31 PM
I just hope that Steelix has the same voice that it did in Nerves of Steelix.

SeraphimWarrior13
27th November 2004, 3:35 PM
Did anyone else notice that when Torkoal used Overheat on Steelix and he began to fell it sounded like he was saying "My Eye!"?

GardevoirMaster
27th November 2004, 3:37 PM
Well, I liked the Episode except after all the attacks Ash made on the Magnemite they kept coming back. I liked the battle between Torkoal and Steelix but it used a Green colored Attack, I'm still confused about what it is.

V Faction
27th November 2004, 3:39 PM
Well, I liked the Episode except after all the attacks Ash made on the Magnemite they kept coming back. I liked the battle between Torkoal and Steelix but it used a Green colored Attack, I'm still confused about what it is.

It was Dragonbreath. I'm surprised the episode didn't touch on that.

Th' Duck
27th November 2004, 3:39 PM
Maybe sandstorm in a beam thing? I dunno, when he was doing his sandstorm "shield" it looket somewhat alike to the beam. It was a pretty good episode overall.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
27th November 2004, 3:44 PM
Well, my darn sister was hogging the TV, so I only saw from when Magneton arrives, looking KOed, to Steelix, to the end. But, from what I saw, it looked cool. Torkoal was a good addition to the team, and I like the sound it makes when smoke comes out of its nose. Steelix's voice was.......meh. I didn't like it too much, but Steelix itself was cool. I liked Torkoal's Overheat, too. IMO, I think Steelix was using.................Zap Cannon? Oh, I don't know, I'm just making a guess!!

Overall rating:
8.5 out of 10!!
About Hoenn-filler standard from what I saw, but maybe the earlier part of the episode was better. BTW, what was the TC?

SC~ out

V Faction
27th November 2004, 3:46 PM
Some points:

-Steelix kept its Japanese voice, as usual with all roaring/growling Pokemon. That was expected.

-Team Rocket blasted off around 4 times. How super. And there wasn't any interference by them. Talk about setting records.

-The Torkoal Vs. Steelix battle was spectacular. It's a lot better then looking at stand alone screenshots, I can tell you that.

-TC: Fairly standard. I noticed that they used all of the Hoenn Fire Pokemon for their selections. Pretty cool.

CyberCubed
27th November 2004, 3:51 PM
Very nice episode. Mostly battle centered which is always a good thing. And of course seeing Steelix being a badass again, also always a good thing.

Definitely a great episode, nice to see Ash battling behind Torkoal when he didn't even capture it yet. Also nice to see May help out with Torchic.

Sheesh. And people say Brock doesn't do anything? Brock is clearly the guide for the group, explaining to them about the Steel Valley, telling May that fire pokes are good against Steel, explaining how Torkoal wanted to restore his pride against Steelix, explaining to Ash not to use Overheat to early, etc. Brock was much needed in this episode.

Also the scene where May fell off the cliff and Ash went down to save her was good, except if I were writing the scene I would have had Magneton shock the two of them a lot more while they were hanging on. :D

And the animation during the last battle with Torkoal Vs. Steelix was very well done. Also great continuity with wanted to go challenge Wattson again.

The continuity in Advance is what sets it apart from Johto and even Kanto, we're getting much more character development for the humans and their pokemon in this series than any other season.

Heracross
27th November 2004, 3:56 PM
God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come. Someone once said Torkoal's dub voice sounded like Barney the dinosaur and I would say that's not a bad comparison. Why they couldn't just keep the original voice is beyond me, most of the time all is says is 'ko' anyway. Then they let Typhlosion run around yelling "Baku!". I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, nothing 4Kids does makes sense anymore.

Oh well, aside from Torkoal's voice, I enjoyed the episode. Though it did get a bit repedative with Magnemite/ton showing up randomly all the time. The battle with Steelix was awesome, except it lasted way too long. It should have been down after the first couple hits, its special defense is horrible. There was a lot of action in this episode, what with all the steel pokémon attacking them and May falling over the cliff (I bet Advanceshippers enjoyed that scene).

V Faction
27th November 2004, 3:59 PM
The continuity in Advance is what sets it apart from Johto and even Kanto, we're getting much more character development for the humans and their pokemon in this series than any other season.

"We meet again Commander Harland! Wait.. or is it Tabitha?"
"Yes, yet again Isabelle! I-I mean Shelly! Yes, Commander Shelly!"

Ha, okay. That isn't exactly the show's fault. And hey, remember we had a little continuity back in Johto with Morty. In fact, it was much like the trek back to Mauville right now. Of course, that's all there was in Johto...

V Faction
27th November 2004, 4:02 PM
God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come. Someone once said Torkoal's dub voice sounded like Barney the dinosaur and I would say that's not a bad comparison. Why they couldn't just keep the original voice is beyond me, most of the time all is says is 'ko' anyway. Then they let Typhlosion run around yelling "Baku!". I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, nothing 4Kids does makes sense anymore.

Feh. We've known its voice for a while now. And only today you complain? Also, that's pretty funny, "dozens" of episodes. The number is probably at a dozen knowing how little we've seen of Torkoal.

Heracross
27th November 2004, 4:06 PM
Well, we have heard Flannery's Torkoal, but I was hoping Ash's would sound different. I thought they would probably just give it the same voice, but it's still dissappointing.

CyberCubed
27th November 2004, 4:07 PM
Yeah, but as you can tell with the groups Pokemon, all have been learning new attacks and their personalities are being developed. No more 1 dimensional pokes like his Johto ones were.

Even the humans have, as May has received more character development in just the 50 dub episodes we've seen of her so far than any other character on the show.

It's what sets Hoenn apart.

V Faction
27th November 2004, 4:09 PM
Well, we have heard Flannery's Torkoal, but I was hoping Ash's would sound different. I thought they would probably just give it the same voice, but it's still dissappointing.

Good thing I don't despise the voice then.

Yeah, but as you can tell with the groups Pokemon, all have been learning new attacks and their personalities are being developed. No more 1 dimensional pokes like his Johto ones were.

Even the humans have, as May has received more character development in just the 50 dub episodes we've seen of her so far than any other character on the show.

It's what sets Hoenn apart.

Dude, don't worry, I agree. I was just having a little fun before.

And it seems I've jumped from a Normal Coordinator to a Heat Trainer.

Alfonso
27th November 2004, 4:13 PM
I've seen the Japanese version of this episode... meh. Yes, Torkoal was caught and Steelix was there too, as was Magneton. But in all honesty, I wasn't really that interested. No swoonsome character for me to fawn over, you see. XD

I can't wait to see the Wattson rematch though. May *totally* hands Watts a*s to him on a stick with Skitty.

Space Skitty
27th November 2004, 4:16 PM
I thought this was good episode. I feel so sorry for Torkoal... All those Pokemon ganging up on it wasn't fair. The battle between Steelix & Torkoal was exciting. Funny how Ash had refered to Torkoal as "my Torkoal." Almost as if he knew the future... But I think he meant in a friendly way. Speaking of which, Ash was very kind towards Torkoal. He helped protect it then he helped it beat Steelix. Overall, a nice episode! ^_^

Tamer Zack
27th November 2004, 4:19 PM
I was a bit suprise to hear Torkoal have the same voice as Flannery's Torkoal but oh well. I hated Steelix voive I really like Steelix voice better in Nerves of Steelix and the TC was really hard I always thought Torkoal evolved into Camerupt.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
27th November 2004, 4:59 PM
man i cant wait til this ep is aired in the uk..............

i LOOOOOOOOOOVE TORKOAL!

Robert
27th November 2004, 5:12 PM
Torkal's voice is great to me. I don't care what everyone else says. :p

This episode had great action and some good humor. It was good to see someone other than Ash or Team Rocket to get zapped for once. Good episode.

Yellow
27th November 2004, 7:06 PM
I loved this episode. Ash got his 4th Pokemon finally!! I hated Torkoal before, but now I like it. There was also a shippy part when Ash rescued May.

SuperSonic
27th November 2004, 7:34 PM
There definitely is a lot of development for both pokemon and humans. Which is what makes the Hoenn episodes so great. Also, the battling/training is good. You can see May grow as a trainer and really realize how good Ash has gotten, and I can see why he wouldn't have won the other leagues. He's really gotten good, and still gets to learn things like when he becomes over confident, which is one of the flaws he needs to work on.

As for the episode, pretty good. I've always been a fan of Torkoal. The voice didn't bother me or impress me. Steelix seemed a little small at times, but it is a unique steelix could just be its size. I also liked the whole Steel pokemon habitat deal, thats something we really haven't seen too much of.

I'm really impressed by how much track the WB is covering by airing 2 episodes at a time, at the end of last season I was like, "geeze that Torkoal episode is so far away."

Togemon
27th November 2004, 9:21 PM
I loved this episode! The best episode in a while IMO. Though Torkoal's voice ANNOYED me. Blah... I'll get used to it... hopefully.
But did anyone else catch the Magnemite/Magneton mistake? It goes from two Magnemites to three to two, and one Magneton to two Magnetons.
9/10

Indigo
27th November 2004, 9:42 PM
Everything's been said, but I just want to say this:

Ash said, "So, Steelix. What do you have against my Torkoal, huh?" before he even caught it. That threw me off completely. It seems like he had every intention of making Torkoal his own, and he spoiled it for the audience, too. It just...really wasn't good.

Everything else has been said.

Pokemon Fan
27th November 2004, 11:08 PM
The battle with Steelix was awesome, except it lasted way too long. It should have been down after the first couple hits, its special defense is horrible.
I thought it was a perfect length, maybe even a little too short. The game's Steelix may have weak Special Defense but Special Defense doesn't seem to exist in the anime, and in any event one of the main points of the Steelix's protrayel was that it was a very strong Steelix that had a resistance to Fire attacks. Even then it was only hit three times before going down, it blocked the other blows.

I loved this episode. Ash got his 4th Pokemon finally!!
FYI, he has 5.

As for my views on the episode, let me first speak of the battle. It was one of the most exciting and well-animated battles they'd ever had in the series! Right up there with Pikachu vs. Raichu, Charizard vs. Magmar, Heracross vs. Scizor, etc. The Steelix was an incredible fighter (much funner to watch than Jasmine's one trick wonder Steelix), fast and mighty. It's entrance, surrounded by a whirlwind of Dragonbreath, was awe-inspiring, as was its incredible use of Dragonbreath, Sandstorm, and Iron Tail to block fire attacks. Torkoal's fighting was well done as well, the way portions of its shell glowed while charging up the Overheat was a nice touch.

*sigh* if only Torkoal was as fast in the games as it is in the anime. :-)

It was quite sweet to watch as Ash asked it (without any prompting really), if it wanted to be part of the team and Torkoal jumped on him crying, but not the hyper cry it had been doing but rather a happy, cute cry while Ash hugged it. ^_^

The Steelix had a surprising amount of depth to it, for a one-episode Pokemon. The multiple gestures and calls it used to command the other Steel types, as well as its fury over Magneton (probably his second in command) being beaten were well done, and the storyline centering around Torkoal wanting to regain its pride as a Fire Pokemon was actually pretty believable. The whole issue of honor in battle was shown well when Steelix was beaten (for once no swirly eyes, yay!), but ordered the other Steel types to leave Torkoal be as it had proven itself.

Oh, and I for one had no problem with ANY of the voices. They all seemed quite fitting.

Anyway, I say it deserves a 9/10 for the animation and battle alone, while the interesting story and lack of useless characters of the day earns it an even 10 unless you want the scale to go higher. ^_^

Other things of note:

1. Skarmory and Steelix kept their Japanese voices.
2. This is the first time they've shown Sky Attack in the series (it was used by a Skarmory in the Raikou special as well), though the attack was not named when this episode's Skarmory used it, it was either that or Double-Edge.
3. Many were surprised when this episode first aired in Japan and showed Steelix using Dragonbreath, as at the time the only way for it to know that move was by TM from the GSC generation. Never mind that the anime is not the game, it still surprised people. Of course, when RS was released, Dragonbreath was a move Onix and Steelix could learn naturally. Regardless, it looks like people here still got confused when Steelix used Dragonbreath. I mean really, Zap Cannon? Sandstorm in a beam? (Sandstorm has a completely different color and was used by name by the same Steelix) Study up on attacks people! ^_^

Wolf Cypher
28th November 2004, 12:11 AM
I thought this was one of Ash's most boring "Pokémon Get!" eppies ever. For once I actually wished TR did something. It was just depressing to me. And just in case no one answered, Steelix's green beam was Dragonbreath. At least it wont be too long before someone's *(&%^$ evolves &*(&&^% *(&^! (Can't use spoiler tags right now).

And where was Aggron?! A Steel Pokémon AND a territorial Pokémon!

Psychic Venusaur
28th November 2004, 12:37 AM
And where was Aggron?! A Steel Pokémon AND a territorial Pokémon!

Yeah, I noticed that they didn't have any Hoenn Steel Pokemon. And if Aggron was territorial it wouldn't share his personal valley with anyone.

I noticed that Ash referred to Torkoal as his before he caught it too.

I noticed the shippy part too *Grrr*

I noticed that Steelix used Dragonbreath too, though nobody in the show mentioned it.

I noticed Skarmory used Sky Attack too.

I kind of like Torkoal's voice. It seems kind helpless though, it makes me feel sorry for it.

Torkoal a girl? It didn't do anything like Chikorita...People who think Pikachu is a girl annoy me. Torkoal didn't seem to do anything that would make me think its a girl.

The battle didn't seem that amazing to me. I like Torkoal's spirit and desire to fight Steelix though.

They never seem to make enough Fire or Electric Pokemon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are Torchic, Combusken, Blaziken, Numel, Camerupt, and Torkoal the only Hoenn fire Pokemon? Aside from the starters, that's only three. The only Electric types are Electrike, Manectric, Plusle, and Minun. They seem to dump boatloads of Water's on us. I'd like it if Ash's fire Pokemon evolved.

I didn't like how the Magnemite's kept coming back.

It was a pretty good episode 7.5/10

Pandemonium
28th November 2004, 3:34 AM
I am know highly convinced that Torkoal is not a girl. It just cries at random times.

Damn, those Magnamite's and Skarmory must really hate torkoal to beat it like that. It was like they were trying to kill me.

Torkoals voice didn't bother me. I'm not sure why many of you hate it.

I also wondered why they didn't show the other (few) steel types. Where was Aron, Lairon, Aggron, and Mawile? Beldum could've showed up or even Metang and Metagross. I would've put Metagross instead of Steelix since he hasn't been showcased yet. Jirachi wasn't shown for obvious reasons.

Didn't May already see Torkoal use Overheat a few episodes ago? Ash's amnesia is starting to rub of on her.

And yes, sadly there is only six Fire type Pokemon in Houen. Pretty sad.

slysunshine
28th November 2004, 3:51 AM
I loved this episode. It was really exciting. Hoenn impresses me more and more every week. :D

Where do I start? Umm...Torkoal! I didn't like Torkoal's voice last week and thought that surely Ash's would have a different voice. By the end of the episode, though, I was loving Torkoal's voice! I'm used to it now and it really suits Torkoal I think. Torkoal's such a sweetie! So cute! I was pleasantly surprised (though a tiny bit bored with the idea, I must admit) when Ash just asked Torkoal to join him instead of battling it. The episode had enough battling, but for battles, they weren't all that bad. :)

I'm officially an Advanceshipper now! Ash and May were just too cute. :P I'm glad the only spoiler I knew about this episode was Torkoal, because it really surprised me when that part of the cliff May was standing on broke off. I was like NO! XD Good thing Ash saved May and Torchic, even though they did get shocked.

Speaking of Torchic, Torchic and Skitty were adorable. ^_^ May once again proved that she is a great battler!

9.5/10

That Scary Clefairy
28th November 2004, 4:09 AM
It seem that torkoal is crying of of tears of joy instead of crying as a baby like people assume.

ronster486
28th November 2004, 4:14 AM
I liked this episode. I have no problem with Torkoal's voice but i expected a deeper voice from it. Torkoal does seem like a crybaby but its a powerful pokemon all the same. This was a episode I was looking forward to. 8/10

Kijuna
28th November 2004, 4:33 AM
This episode was teh pwns. 10/9.4 I like the detail put into everything there. Steelix's body turning to kick up the sand, the grand enterance with Dragonbreath, and the actual character(!) of Steelix. Just... wow.

Give Torkoal a break, guys. She had likely gone her whole life being constantly abused by big powerful Pokémon she was powerless against. It's really kind of asinine to expect it to be all happy-go-lucky and independant.

It was Dragonbreath. I'm surprised the episode didn't touch on that.

Bam! Me 1, dub errors 0!

...You're kidding, right? it sounds perfect! Maybe it's an acquired taste. *shrug* Has alot more personality than some of the voices.

The number is probably at a dozen knowing how little we've seen of Torkoal.

Oh god no. Am I doomed to never see Torkoal again?! T_T

But did anyone else catch the Magnemite/Magneton mistake? It goes from two Magnemites to three to two, and one Magneton to two Magnetons.

I'm sure there are more than 3 of each in the whole canyon.

Cloud Strife
28th November 2004, 6:16 AM
Okay, I would like to say hi to all my spoiler "Fresh Start" friends. Yeah, you know whats coming.
Lets start with the possitives
-Ash and May scene was not hardly made shippy at all. (Score)
-Finally got to see Sky Attack
-A correct trainer choice

Now for the negatives (pull up a chair, it will be a while)
-Ash caught Torkoal, okay, I knew it was going to happen, but I still don't like it
-Torkoal could not knock out STEEL types, if you really are not bad like people tell me, than why could you not defend yourself against Mags and Skar (I will give it a break on Steelix since it does have a type advantage on him as well). Because it is no good.
-Max went another show doing virtually nothing. It is not that I totally dislike him, it is just he does not do much.
-It was the worst Hoenn episode yet, and on par with some some JLC episodes for lack of anything redeeming.
-It was WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, the worst capture episode yet.
-My favorite, it actually put me to sleep. I am not kidding, I wanted to watch the Kentucky vs Tennessee football game coming on at 12:30. But I was asleep when it started. I know some of you are thinking that I was on here and did not go to bed till 6:40 this morning, but I did not fall asleep during the the Spinda episode (though I wish I could have)
-No TR when they were sorely needed to give this episode something.
-And last but not least for the negatives---Its rating. .0000000000001. Special meaning to some of you. The exact opposite of how much better I said Charizard was than Torkoal.

God. No. 4Kids really gave Torkoal the royal shaft in the voice department. Now we have to listen to that every single time Ash uses it in the dozens of episodes to come. I am happy to inform you that it will all be over soon :D

And yes, sadly there is only six Fire type Pokemon in Houen. Pretty sad. Worse yet is that one of them is Torkoal, you could have just stayed at 5 :D

Give Torkoal a break, guys. She had likely gone her whole life being constantly abused by big powerful Pokémon she was powerless against. It's really kind of asinine to expect it to be all happy-go-lucky and independant.
Yet more proof of how bad Torkoal truly is, what kind of Pokemon were raping it; steel, what is fire strong against; Grass, Bug, Ice, and say it with me STEEL. This is like saying that Torkoal was getting punked by some Oddish, Bellsprout, Jumpluff, and a Bellosom. Not so good huh?

Anyone who wants to correct grammer and spelling, be my guest.

Juputoru
28th November 2004, 3:17 PM
-Torkoal could not knock out STEEL types, if you really are not bad like people tell me, than why could you not defend yourself against Mags and Skar (I will give it a break on Steelix since it does have a type advantage on him as well). Because it is no good.

Yet more proof of how bad Torkoal truly is, what kind of Pokemon were raping it; steel, what is fire strong against; Grass, Bug, Ice, and say it with me STEEL. This is like saying that Torkoal was getting punked by some Oddish, Bellsprout, Jumpluff, and a Bellosom. Not so good huh?

Don't forget that type advantiges aren't as all-powerful in the anime as they are in the games. Seviper's Poison Tail damaged a Steel type, Pikachu has damaged several Ground types with Electric attacks, Taillow stands up to Electric attacks very well, etc. Plus we don't know how strong the Steel types of the valley are. Also, Torkoal was vastly outnumbered(One Torkoal VS quite a few Steel types).

Indigo
28th November 2004, 6:08 PM
CS, your bias is showing...~^

Just because you don't like Torkoal, doesn't mean you can bash it all you want. There isn't too much hold-its-own evidence in there...

...but this I have to agree with. Although I didn't see the very last part of the ep(stupid TiVo...*kicks*), I know how it went.

Ash: Torkoal, you wanna be part of the group?
Torkoal: Torkoal tor! *cries. Jumps on Ash.*
*Everyone happy laughs.*

I can't be too far off.

Even Corphish's was better. At least Ash battled the thing and captured it, fair and square(even though the "wanna come with me?" thing was a little...how shall I put this...non-Pokémon). Not only that, but he hungered to catch it even before he really knew how much of a pain it'd be. With Torkoal, he referred to it as his own before he caught it, as if he had every intention and every RIGHT of capturing it. With Treecko, he helped the thing when it was reluctant and wanted to befriend it, not catch it. With Taillow, Brock told him to catch it(which was...kinda stupid, IMO) but this...this was definitely the worst catch epsiode yet. I must agree.

Space Skitty
28th November 2004, 6:40 PM
Torkoal was out-numbered, CS. The Magnemite were all shocking the poor turtle at the same time while Skarmory was striking it with Swift. It was out-numbered. Ash even told Max that. Torkoal may not be as strong as Charizard, but it's not weak. It has some great battles to come. Just give it a chance...

Pokemon Fan
28th November 2004, 6:50 PM
Eh? What was it supposed to do? It was ganged up on, and immobilized by being held up in the air with Thunder Wave. Whenever it faught a Steel type one-on-one (like that Magneton) it won. If you want to hate Torkoal fine but at least don't give a strange reason like that.

-It was the worst Hoenn episode yet, and on par with some some JLC episodes for lack of anything redeeming.
Superb animation, incredible battle sequence, Steelix being more than just a random mean Pokemon, Ash having a rather unique bonding experience with his new Pokemon, etc. aren't considered the least bit redeeming? I thought it was things like that that made episodes great.

What makes it so much worse than the Squirtle, Charmander, Lapras capture or any other Pokemon capture episode where Ash didn't battle the Pokemon?

The exact opposite of how much better I said Charizard was than Torkoal.
Charizard is a winged dragon, Torkoal is a tortoise, of course Charizard is better! But that doesn't make Torkoal bad. That's like saying Charizard should be hated because it can't equal Ho-oh as a Fire/Flying type.

Even Corphish's was better. At least Ash battled the thing and captured it, fair and square
And asking it if it wanted to join him is somehow unfair and immoral? It may be less exciting but if anything having a Pokemon choose to be with a trainer through purely volunteering is superior to battling it. The important thing is that the Pokemon gains respect for the trainer. For most being defeated in battle is enough for them to have respect for their trainer, but if a trainer proves it some other way it is just as valid.

Really, the way people are up in arms over this surprises me. Ash refers to the Torkoal as being his one time, it was simply because he already felt a deep bond with it. And what if he had already planned to ask it to join him? Is that somehow wrong? He still gave Torkoal a choice after all.

Kingler
28th November 2004, 6:54 PM
I agree Pokemon Fan, this was a great episode. The battle sequences were amazing. The Charmander episode wasn't a catching episode, you gotta at least put up some sort of fight.

Cloud Strife
28th November 2004, 9:06 PM
CS, your bias is showing...~^
Really, I did not know. It is not bias though, it is not like I just randomly picked Ash's Torkoal as the worst Pokemon ever. I think he is weak, no good personality, and useless, that is not a bias it is an opinion.

Torkoal was out-numbered, CS. The Magnemite were all shocking the poor turtle at the same time while Skarmory was striking it with Swift. It was out-numbered. Ash even told Max that. Torkoal may not be as strong as Charizard, but it's not weak. It has some great battles to come. Just give it a chance...

You don't come to spoilers very often, do you. It is not like I have all these opinions after one episode, I know of its battles (how you can call ANY of them great is beyond me) to come. I have given plenty of reasons before I think it is weak, one of which is his sparkling record of 2 and 2, wow 50%, nice what a great fighter it is.

Superb animation, incredible battle sequence, Steelix being more than just a random mean Pokemon, Ash having a rather unique bonding experience with his new Pokemon, etc. aren't considered the least bit redeeming? I thought it was things like that that made episodes great.
It did look good, but I don't care about animation or graphics, so that is not in the least bit redeeming to me. Why does everyone think this battle was so good? Do people really like Dragon Breath that much, that because of it everyone is saying it was so good. DB, FT that does not hurt, Sandstorm, FT that does not hurt, and Overheat, not that good. Brock telling Ash not to use OH to early was also dumb because 1 Evidently on the Anime it just weakens OH itself, and not Sp At, and 2 Even if it does weaken Sp At on the Anime, FT was doing absolutely nothing anyway, so who cares if it was weakened

What makes it so much worse than the Squirtle, Charmander, Lapras capture or any other Pokemon capture episode where Ash didn't battle the Pokemon?
Clearly no one understood what I was saying here. I don't mean the capture itself, I mean the episode is the worst episode that a capture took place in.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
28th November 2004, 9:15 PM
Well, I like Torkoal personally, but I side with you on saying what's so good about the battle? If anything, it was bad. Steelix withstanding Flamethrower? Not possible, unless it had a Focus Band, which it obviously didn't. I can't even express how absurd it is that Steelix can withstand Overheat. Maybe if Torkoal was Lv. 5, and Steelix was level 100, it could be possible, but that was not the case. The animation was no better than usual, as far as I saw. A pretty darn ludicrous battle. The most noteworthy battle is that of May and Grace. This battle............meh, it was better than some, but there are a lot of better ones out there.

SC~ out

~*Aurora Wish*~
28th November 2004, 11:13 PM
This was so cool!

Ash caught a Torkoal!

When I saw the part where May and Torchic were hanging, I was thinking, I don't want her to fall down!

9/10

Bulba the Great!
29th November 2004, 2:21 AM
When people talk about how weak Torkoal is, because its Flamethrower can't knock out a Steelix, they most likely forget, Steelix is part ground. So, actually, Steelix is neutral to fire attacks. That's why Torkoal wasn't kicking its....err, butt. And, Torkoal isn't well trained yet:o

V Faction
29th November 2004, 2:24 AM
When people talk about how weak Torkoal is, because its Flamethrower can't knock out a Steelix, they most likely forget, Steelix is part ground. So, actually, Steelix is neutral to fire attacks. That's why Torkoal wasn't kicking its....err, butt. And, Torkoal isn't well trained yet:o

Study up a little more. Ground is not resistant to Fire.

Heracross
29th November 2004, 4:18 AM
Yeah, even a lot of pure ground types can be easily defeated by fire types because they generally have terrible special defense. As long as the fire type gets the first hit that is. That's not to say I dislike Torkoal or think she's weak, but Steelix should not have lasted that long against her.

Cloud Strife
29th November 2004, 6:16 AM

When people talk about ground being resistant to fire, I am reminded of people thinking Rock is resistant to Electricity. Because that is likely where these same people got their info from. You should know better.

Goin' Graveler
29th November 2004, 11:53 AM
I agree with Ground not being resistant to Fire, but I like Torkoal.:P

Geodude
29th November 2004, 12:12 PM
What the hell is up with all this Torkoal-bashing anyway? Simple concept here guys, if the defending Pokemon is much stronger than the attacker, obviously the attacker's attacks won't do as much damage as compared to if the battle was a little more even.

And where exactly is the basis for saying that Flamethrower did absolutely nothing against Steelix? -_-

Great ep, lots of action and battles, even a dramatic rescue. No idea how anyone could possibly call it boring.

ŁańkaŃ
29th November 2004, 12:12 PM
I liked this episode alot, at first i didn't get why Ash choose this pokemon, instead of Numel. But i think now this pokemon actually earns to be on Ash's team. But the only thing was it was a bit early to be caught that's all.

Brock Harrison
29th November 2004, 3:25 PM
Well, it had been a while since Ash caught Corphish back at Dewford Town. I'm sure the writers thought it was time for Ash to catch something new. He's now got a fire type to go with his electric, flying, grass, and water types. Ash has a trend to catch these types throughout each series (excluding the Orange Islands of course). One of the most interesting changes in trend has to be Brock since he has moved from the rock and ground types to water.

Pokemon Fan
29th November 2004, 5:09 PM
Well, I like Torkoal personally, but I side with you on saying what's so good about the battle? If anything, it was bad. Steelix withstanding Flamethrower? Not possible, unless it had a Focus Band, which it obviously didn't. I can't even express how absurd it is that Steelix can withstand Overheat. Maybe if Torkoal was Lv. 5, and Steelix was level 100, it could be possible, but that was not the case. The animation was no better than usual, as far as I saw. A pretty darn ludicrous battle.
Absurd? The anime ISN'T THE GAME. In the anime a Pokemon's defenses are its defenses, there isn't a seperation between special defense and normal defense. Steelix has extremely high defenses. Even in the games it can withstand several super effective Attack-based attacks. Since in the anime it doesn't have low special defense since special defense doesn't exist, it would do just as well with Water or Fire attacks.

And really, it isn't as though they neglected the way things usually are. Everyone was surprised that the Steelix withstood Fire attacks so easily, in the anime that happens soemtimes. Need I remind you that weaknesses aren't set in stone in the anime?

I mena there's the Poliwrath in the Orange Islands that had mastered its elemental weaknesses. Then there's AJ's Sandshrew who was not weak to water. Not to mention the Skarmory in Johto that had learned to beat all other types and then built up a resistance to Fire. Heck, need I mention Prima's Cloyster who was hit hard by Thunder but only suffered a little damage? In the games almost any Electric attack will OHKO a Cloyster as they have incredible Defense but terrible Special Defense.

Really if you call this battle absurd you'd have to call every battle in the anime absurd as none of them follow in-game stats to the letter.

Yeah, even a lot of pure ground types can be easily defeated by fire types because they generally have terrible special defense. As long as the fire type gets the first hit that is. That's not to say I dislike Torkoal or think she's weak, but Steelix should not have lasted that long against her.
The Steelix was supposed to be very strong and not very weak to Fire, how would it have made sense for it to go down quickly to Torkoal? If you went by the game, then most battles involving super-effective moves would end in one or two attacks. The anime is much better in providing some realistic variations to what type weaknesses really do. The game can't and shouldn't model this, as it wouldn't work there.

And it isn't as though the battle was that long. Steelix got hit with two Flamethrowers, blocked the others, then went down from an Overheat. How can that possibly be seen as wrong when no one complains about Mewtwo tossing Hyper Beams away with its hands, Abra teleporting to dodge attacks, or Raichu running out of electricity. I really can't concieve why people are making such an issue out of this episode and its events. It was explained that Steel types are normally weak to Fire but this one wasn't nearly so, why is that so hard to accept? There was no outcry over Ash's Taillow being much more resistant to Electricity than most Flying types, but a Steelix manages to take a few Fire attacks before going down and people are up in arms...

My apologies if I sound rude, I'm just frustrated as I can't get my mind around this reasoning...

Swellow
29th November 2004, 10:36 PM
This was a good ep. besides Ash was training Torkoal before he got it, btw since my tape ran over After the Steelix and Steel Crew left what happened

Geodude
29th November 2004, 10:41 PM
Nor can I, Pokemon Fan, since I have this impression that this whole thing is only coming from people who can do nothing but complain anyway. I'm starting to think it's useless to try and convince them to have an open mind. -_-

Kamex
30th November 2004, 2:21 AM
That Steelix was powerful, it was interesting to see fight. Team Rocket wiping it clean was funny.

And of course, Torkoal was cool, and Ash developed a friendship with it, which eventually led to him keeping it.

I realized that a lot of people don't like Torkoal's voice. As for me, I think it's o.k., it kinda fits him, but then again, I don't have the Japanese voice to compare with.

I think I'll give this episode...an 8/10.

Cloud Strife
30th November 2004, 3:43 AM
And where exactly is the basis for saying that Flamethrower did absolutely nothing against Steelix? -_-

Been a few days since I saw it, but I know someone on the show said something like that, and I am thinking it was Brock.

Geodude
30th November 2004, 3:48 AM
True...but Brock was a distance away from Steelix, so that may have affected his estimate. Plus, like you, he was probably expecting Flamethrower to do much more damage, so when Steelix stood up to it instead of cringing or making some sort of defensive reaction, it seemed like it didn't work, even though it probably did at least some damage. Steelix was probably hurting, but it seemed like it was badass enough not to let it show.

That make any sense? :p

Funny how nobody complained about Ash's Heracross standing up to Gary's Magmar's Fire Blast and coming back to win, but people complain about Steelix standing up to Torkoal's Flamethrower. :p

ForestEmerald
30th November 2004, 6:07 AM
I liked this episode. The idea of Ash befriending Torkoal before he caught it was good because Ash helped it conquer the Steel Crew. Torkoal's voice, I thought, was pretty good (considering I always thought of tortoises havind sort of dopey voices.) Team Rocket constantly blasting off in this episode was very funny. Over all, it was a nice filler and I give it a 8.5/10.

Pokemon Fan
30th November 2004, 7:48 PM
True...but Brock was a distance away from Steelix, so that may have affected his estimate. Plus, like you, he was probably expecting Flamethrower to do much more damage, so when Steelix stood up to it instead of cringing or making some sort of defensive reaction, it seemed like it didn't work, even though it probably did at least some damage. Steelix was probably hurting, but it seemed like it was badass enough not to let it show.
That seems to me to be what they were trying to show. Max's exact words were along the lines of (if I remember right) that Steelix took a "direct Flamethrower without flinching." It was likely hurt by the attack but like Ash's Taillow it knew how to push past the pain and resist it. ^_^

PDL
1st December 2004, 3:20 AM
the biggest gripe I have with this episode, is the reason why Torkoal wanted to fight steelix in the first place... what's up with the whole "restoring it's respect as a Fire type?" why couldn't he and Steelix just leave each other alone and just live and let live? and what exactly is so great about being a Fire Type pokemon as opposed to say, some other type?

technically, it's still a pretty small complaint, I don't complain too much about episodes because I see no point to complain about them on the internet... doesn't do much but annoy other people

Geodude
1st December 2004, 3:40 AM
the biggest gripe I have with this episode, is the reason why Torkoal wanted to fight steelix in the first place... what's up with the whole "restoring it's respect as a Fire type?" why couldn't he and Steelix just leave each other alone and just live and let live? and what exactly is so great about being a Fire Type pokemon as opposed to say, some other type?

You really didn't understand this episode at all, did you? That was pretty clearly explained. Apparently, Torkoal had gotten lost just like Ash & co and ended up in the Steel Valley, and Steelix's gang had ganged up on it. It can take any of them one-on-one, and it knows it, but it was outnumbered so it lost its pride. It knew its only chance for survival was to take on the gang leader, one-on-one.

PDL
1st December 2004, 3:48 AM
oh right... super... I try to come with something about the episode that's not about the actual battle, and it ends up blowing up in my face... of all people, I should have seen this coming -_-;

Pokemon Fan
1st December 2004, 4:47 PM
oh right... super... I try to come with something about the episode that's not about the actual battle, and it ends up blowing up in my face... of all people, I should have seen this coming -_-;
Allow me to explain my perception of it a bit.

All Pokemon have pride in what they are, be it their type or their species. We've seen this through the whole series: Pikachu's pride in being a Pikachu being what made it want to defeat Raichu and not evolve, Charizard's pride as a Fire type causing it to only fight other Fire type early on (explained by Oak in the Indigo Plateau) and its pride as a Charizard when it was beaten by other Charizards ("Charizard's Burning Ambition"), Bulbasaur and Meganium's pride as Grass types causing them to battle with incredible vigor and fall defeated with smiles and mutual respect (the episode's Japanese title even included the words "Spirit of the Grass types").

In this case, I don't think that the initial battle Torkaol had involved it being ganged up on. The Steelix seemed to believe in one-on-one fights. Brock said that he saw evidence from damage to Torkoal that it had fought Steelix at some time recently in the past. The most likely scenario is that Torkoal got lost, ended up in the valley, then fought and lost to Steelix.

Being a Fire type it couldn't stand having lost so easily to a Steel type which it is supposed to be strong against, so Torkoal kept coming back, determined to win back its pride and respect by at least doing well against Steelix. However, having already beaten it, Steelix saw no need to fight it again, and the other Steel types commenced with continually beating Torkoal out of the valley. However, when Steelix later saw that Torkoal had defeated his right-hand Magneton, it decided to challenge this upstart Fire type and settle things once and for all.

Pokemon are very competitive creatures, often with a warrior's pride in their own abilities. It of course varies with the individual, but some it seems can't stand losing easily to type they are supposed to be strong against, and conversely especially enjoy proving their skill by beating Pokemon that have a type advantage over them.

Gryphon Turboclaw
1st December 2004, 8:19 PM
This really wasn't a bad capture ep by any means, though it could have been significantly better.

I'll admit to being one of those who wasn't nuts about Ash getting Torkoal(largely because I wanted the elemental mold tossed into the nearest car crusher on hand), but the little guy's started growing on me. Now if only Ash would try teaching him Rock Slide...

IMHO, the writers wasted a grand opportunity for a debut. Remember that scene in the beginning with the Magnemite pair and Skarmory? Now imagine that same scene, but two *Metang* using Psychic to haul Torkoal sky-high instead of the T-Waving Maggies, a small pack of Beldum playing 'tag' with the hapless tortoise via Take Down, *plus* that same Skarmory tossed in for even more grief.

The music was pretty good, but I'm wondering why they couldn't have that music from that scene near the end of A Togepi Mirage (I'm referring to the scene where Misty sics Gyarados on Hansen) for the Torkoal vs. Steelix scene. That particular tune seems like it would've fit quite perfectly. Steelix's entrance was quite grand, if you ask me.

That make any sense? :p

Funny how nobody complained about Ash's Heracross standing up to Gary's Magmar's Fire Blast and coming back to win, but people complain about Steelix standing up to Torkoal's Flamethrower. :p

Great points about Steelix and Flamthrower, Geodude. I'd like to add to it by noting that given Steelix's stature among those Steel-types, it was probably at a high enough level of both power and experience to be able to simultaneously push right through Torkoal's Flamethrower and break it up. In game terms(braces for PF's "THIS IS NOT THE GAME!!!), think of it this way:

L20 Torkoal vs. L20 Steelix:
Torkoal has decent SA, medium HP and SD, and awesome PD.
Steelix has decent PA, medium HP and SD, and prodigious PD.

In theory, Torkoal should be able to shrug off almost anything Steelix might throw at him, and sooner or later burn Steelix to the ground. However, if we change the scenario by increasing Steelix's level by a significant amount(say to L80), things get *much* more hazardous for Torkoal, to say the least.

As to Torkoal coming under attack in the first place, it could be that when he wandered into Steel Valley, he wound up---probably unintentionally---antagonizing/frightening several of the residential pokemon while venting his frustration about the situation. As territorial as these Steel-types are, it's ridiculously unlikely that they were simply going about looking to pick on whatever they came across. They knew who their specific intruder was, blasted the living daylights out him, and left for home upon tossing Torkoal out of the valley. When Ash-tachi came waltzing in and started interfering with what those Steel-types considered an internal affair, the kids wound up being fair game to the metalheads.

Overall, I'll give this an 80/100.

The Big Al
1st December 2004, 9:11 PM
Hey, wasn't one of Steelix's attacks, Dragonbreath? The green stream he used.

PDL
1st December 2004, 11:29 PM
Hey, wasn't one of Steelix's attacks, Dragonbreath? The green stream he used.

yep, it was definately dragonbreath, in FR/LG, it's become one of it' newer level up attacks...

mostly because Onix and Steelix kinda resemble Wyrms... wingless, legless dragons that burrow deep inside the earth. Wonder if there'll be a pokemon eqivalent of a Cold-drake... (a wingless dragon without the ability to breath fire, but have iron-hard scales and claws)

it would have been really neat if Steelix actually used it in battle rather then just as a flashy entrance

The Big Al
1st December 2004, 11:38 PM
Steelix did shoot it at Torkoal on at least one occasion. Man, that Steelix had quite an arsonal. Dig, Iron Tail, Dragonbreath, Sandstorm, no wonder it was the leader of the steel-types in the valley.

PDL
1st December 2004, 11:41 PM
he did?

wow... I really wasn't paying attention to the episode... @_@

Pokemon Fan
3rd December 2004, 4:27 PM
he did?

wow... I really wasn't paying attention to the episode... @_@
Yup, it was pretty quick but there was a scene with Steelix firing Dragonbreath and it canceling out a Flamethrower from Torkoal. I forget who fired first, if it was Steelix and Torkoal blocked it, or if it was Torkaol and Steelix blocked it.

Lindsay
3rd December 2004, 9:25 PM
Why why why were they following Brocks directions? Hello? Max has a POKéNAV so they won't get losted! Oh wells I'll let it slide because Steel types finally got some love!

Steel Valleys a way cool and seemingly tough place so I wish it were in the games! Skarmory is one of my unofficial favorites so I liked how it got a lot of screentime here. And I SO knew that voice Torkoal was looking for was a Steelix!

Team Idiot wasn't to much of a bother here thankfully. May finally got in some battle time with Torchic and Skitty which pleased me. They need exp ya know!

When exactly did Ash catch Torkoal though? Another off-screen capture ala Lapras I guess?

3 / 5

But that 3 is close to a 4 cause of all the Steel loving! This was a good nice solid episode. But Ash, please remember Torkoal can also use Iron Defense!

Geodude
4th December 2004, 3:32 AM
He caught it when he asked if it wanted to join and Torkoal accepted. At that point, a Pokeball capture didn't really need to be shown.

And it's possible that the Pokenav may not be as detailed as they needed to get through that particular area.

Gryphon Turboclaw
5th December 2004, 1:24 AM
Yup, it was pretty quick but there was a scene with Steelix firing Dragonbreath and it canceling out a Flamethrower from Torkoal. I forget who fired first, if it was Steelix and Torkoal blocked it, or if it was Torkaol and Steelix blocked it.

IIRC, Torkoal launched a Flamethrower only to have it blasted right back by Steelix's Dragonbreath. Said Steelix also tried an Iron Tail-Crunch combo---both of which missed---later on in that brawl.

OT: You'd think that with Crunch, D-breath and being a giant *snake*, the Onix line would be in the Dragon egg group as well as being in the Mineral one. If Ekans/Arbok and Seviper can be Dragon/Field(still talking egg groups here), why not Dragon/Mineral for Onix/Steelix? Sheesh....

Pokemon Fan
5th December 2004, 8:36 PM
Why why why were they following Brocks directions? Hello? Max has a POKéNAV so they won't get losted! Oh wells I'll let it slide because Steel types finally got some love!
In a past episode we saw that the PokeNAV can sometimes cease working if they are in a remote area or otherwise out of range of the signal somehow. It wasn't said to happen in this episode, but it is the most likely explanation aside from "the writers forgot."

All that steel could cause transmission interference after all. ^_^

Chris
6th December 2004, 12:17 AM
Saw this episode last Friday in English. Still not pleased with Torkoal's voice. :\ Just doesn't sound goofy funny. More like the bad kind of goofy. Anyways, besides that, the episode was good. They actually kept Skarmory's voice this time. I'm suprised by the amount of Johto Pokémon that are keeping their original voices in AG. Steelix also kept its voice, but is it me, or did the voice for this Steelix sound VERY similar to Kamex? o_O;

Torkoal Stu
20th December 2004, 2:35 PM
Saw this episode last Friday in English. Still not pleased with Torkoal's voice. :\ Just doesn't sound goofy funny. More like the bad kind of goofy.

i liked flannery's torkoal dub voice is it the same? but steel pokemon are cool but person who did the voice of steelix also plays a main charcter on the show so the voice is the same as jasmine's steelix because they haven't left the show.(i think?)

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
2nd January 2005, 3:32 PM
i saw this ep today and tis my fave cos.......................

IT'S GOT TORKOAL IN IT!!!!

I recorded it with sky+ and i watch it all the time!!!

Sharpshooter
2nd January 2005, 8:28 PM
i liked flannery's torkoal dub voice is it the same? but steel pokemon are cool but person who did the voice of steelix also plays a main charcter on the show so the voice is the same as jasmine's steelix because they haven't left the show.(i think?)

Yes the dub voice for Flannery's Torkoal and the Torkoal featured in this episode are the same :P

That was one hard Steelix, survived a strong overheat attack, as well as many other fire type attacks prior to that.

God sake, Ash risked his life saving May and she didn't even say thanks :P

Good episode, reminds me very much of the episode "Get along lil'Pokémon" in the Orange Islands, possibly because of the numourous Magnemite's and that the scenario was also in a desserted valley.

Factory Head Noland
2nd January 2005, 8:34 PM
I saw this episosde this morning and it was just great! I saw the Japanese version early last year.
That Steelix was strong! I loved seeing the Skarmory, Magnemite and Magneton, I love Steel types! I did NOT like it when the Magneton attacked May and Torchic though!
What you all on?? Torkoal's dubbed voice is awesome!

Rating: 9/10 (Lost a mark due to there being no cool music when Torkoal battled Steelix!)

;155;

Blazing Charmander
2nd January 2005, 9:21 PM
This was such a cool episode. I watched it today and after seeing Torkoal more, it is starting to become one of my favourite Pokemon. Its dub voice is awesome. The battle between Steelix and Torkoal was awesome. That Steelix was so strong but i agree with PokemonIsGr8. There wasn't cool enough battle music. I'm assuming that the Japanese version had better music.

That Magneton was so cruel attacking May. I felt so sorry for her. And although i'm not an Advanceshipper anymore i thought the Ash saving May scene was cute. They seemed to be looking into each others eyes too much. lol.

I found something quite error-ish in this episode. Before Torkoal had joined Ash on his journey, he told the Steel types not to attack his Torkoal. Either that was planned or it actually was an error.

Rating: 9.5/10

Alakazam
8th January 2005, 10:34 AM
Well I've finally seen this episode, I forgot to watch it last Sunday =P

Torkoal was rather comedic, and I hope to see more of him. TR really didn't get too much screentime today IMO. I'd give this episode 8.5/10.

Torkoal Stu
8th January 2005, 1:22 PM
What you all on?? Torkoal's dubbed voice is awesome!

Rating: 9/10 (Lost a mark due to there being no cool music when Torkoal battled Steelix!)

;155;

i agree torkoal has one of the best dub voices (it was better than zangoose) and it was a great ep but the could of used it to debut new steel pokemon like beldum (they could of but now i know why they didn't) i found that to they always cut out the cool music and this is in my top 10 eps!(number 2 or 3)

-stuart-;324; (this is the first post that i have put this and know i am going put it on all my posts, after this one!)

Geki
30th August 2005, 10:46 PM
I liked this episode a lot. I'm happy Ash caught a Torkoal, and there was also a shippy moment when Ash saved May from falling off that cliff.

9/10

wobbanut
27th September 2005, 5:25 PM
I feel really bad for Torkoal and how it keeps getting attacked by the steel pokemon. Those pokemon were downright nasty. At least Torkoal did end up triumphant over steelix in the end, with Ash's help, and he became part of Ash's team. :) I love it when Torkoal cries a river, it's pretty funny. I also liked the part when Team Rocket tried to get on steelix's good side by giving him a cleaning. LOL

SpongeBoblover
12th May 2006, 3:25 AM
Two words... Very Good.

Pros
1. Torkoal was kinda funny when he cried for sorrows or joy.
2. It was fantastic when Ash went down the cliff to save May from falling off the cliff. :)

Cons
1. Those steal pokemon were so mean to Torkoal, Ash and May.

Pacman
20th November 2006, 8:29 PM
Torkoal is cool. Also, the Steel Type is cool to.

Roeno
27th January 2007, 8:40 AM
Finally they showed it on tv here!
And I thought it was a pretty good episode. Team Rocket begin blown away and giving Steelix a brushing was funny, and the battle between Torkoal and Steelix was cool too, it had some great animation I might add. Well I'll give this episode an 9/10

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:03 AM
This was a pretty good episode. I wish the Valley of Steel was actually in the games. Well Ash caught a Torkoal and that's cool.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 10:19 AM
i saw this episode a few weeks ago, it was a nice episode he finally got a torkoal, and one of it's kind too.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 4:26 PM
Nice episode, good that Ash cathed Torkoal

CyberCubed
15th May 2009, 10:50 PM
I always thought this was a very good and exciting capture episode. Unlike some eps that are chores, such as Turtwig and Noctowl's boring capture eps, this one was exciting.

It's a shame Torkoal really wasn't used much, but I guess the lack of an evo is why they couldn't do much with it. I see Torkoal as a really underrated Pokemon, it had a terrible losing streak in Hoenn but did very well against Registeel in BF.

If Torkoal is ever used again I hope the writers do it justice. Much like other Pokemon such as Muk, Kingler, etc....Torkoal deserved a lot more attention.

Yamato-san
21st May 2009, 4:50 AM
I always thought this was a very good and exciting capture episode. Unlike some eps that are chores, such as Turtwig and Noctowl's boring capture eps, this one was exciting.

It's a shame Torkoal really wasn't used much, but I guess the lack of an evo is why they couldn't do much with it. I see Torkoal as a really underrated Pokemon, it had a terrible losing streak in Hoenn but did very well against Registeel in BF.

If Torkoal is ever used again I hope the writers do it justice. Much like other Pokemon such as Muk, Kingler, etc....Torkoal deserved a lot more attention.

let's not forget about Gomazou's capture episode... "let's spend all episode chasing around a Pokemon that was technically mine to begin with and just couldn't be returned to its ball". Bleh... while I kinda enjoy something important happening in an episode myself, it's crap like this which proves that being a filler or non-filler doesn't necessarily make an episode "good".

[cough] But I agree that this was a pretty nice capture episode (and with a pretty unique environment as well... for a saga that was just packed with "generic forest of doom", even at the expense of interesting in-game areas, how often do you see the characters in a wasteland?), and Cotoise was a horribly underutilized Pokemon. You know what I think adds insult to injury? After that pretty epic scene of Satoshi remembering Overheat and having his future Pokemon use it against Haganeil, they suddenly have him forget about Overheat's flaw a mere couple of episodes later. It was all pretty much downhill for the guy from there, wasn't it?

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 12:19 PM
Wow, Torkoal was strong. especially vs Steelix.

And I loved to see Skarmory's moves.

9/10

Lorde
8th January 2010, 2:36 AM
A Torkoal right after we witnessed Flannery's Torkoal a few episodes back? That was fast :/

I liked the valley of Steel type Pokemon itself. Steelix though, it very overdone and I found it boring at the time. Torkoal beat it with Fire which is almost always the case.

Anyway, Torkoal getting it's own special capture episode was great. It wasn't too boring like some of the others I've seen. 6/10

Willow's Tara
7th May 2010, 1:34 AM
I liked this episode, pretty good episode. Torkoal was one of the Pokemon I loved on the Hoenn region (Might help the fact it's fire). As others said but it was an interesting capture. I think this is the first time a main character wanted a Pokemon because they were impressed by a Gym leader's Pokemon. Guess Flannery and Torkoal really did impress him lol

saar
5th July 2010, 9:44 AM
Torkoal's power wasn't known until it battled VS Steelix. Actually Fire pokemon shouldn't have had a problem with Steel type pokes, but this time it was pretty hard because of the fact they were many.
Being a big pokemon like Steelix doesn't halp if it has a problem with Fire moves.

KGB13
11th August 2010, 2:32 AM
This was a really great capture episode.

I love how Torkaol never gave up battling and eventually beat Steelix.

Great episode.

G50
3rd March 2011, 4:38 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see a wild overly cheerful wild Torkoal in this episode. I'm glad Ash caught the Torkoal. It was funny seeing Torkoal blow smoke in the gang's faces every time it's happy. Man... Those Electric Pokemon and Steelix were really rough on Torkoal throughout the episode.

30/100

Vernikova
30th June 2012, 3:00 PM
Torkoal is one of Ash's most annoying Pokemon. It's up there with Bayleef and a few others for the top spot. I didn't like its tendency to get over-emotional throughout the series. It wasn't too bad in this episode since it had an interesting "never give up" personality so I will give it that.

Archangel Armada
4th July 2012, 7:51 AM
I remeber this episode the most when I saw it when it was new. Torkoal is too.. coward at first.. against the Pokemon he could defeat! Silly Torkoal, but at least he finally showed those steel type Pokemon who are boss and getting Ash, Mayy, Brock, and Max through the valley :P

7threst
28th September 2012, 8:23 PM
This episode was pretty intense and I actually was quite happy Ash capturing Torkoal - seeing as that Pokémon is full of humorous, emotional and funny characteristics. The battle between Torkoal and Steelix was good and I loved the part at the end with Torkoal crying lol.

AquaMilotic
29th November 2013, 1:01 AM
I think Torkoal is one of Ash's less nice Pokemon, but this episode felt really nice to me. It's still a funny Pokemon, and it felt so mean how wild Pokemon were attacking it. I'm glad Torkoal managed to beat Steelix in the end, and seeing Ash, May, Max and Brock with ash-faces also felt funny. As a rating, 7/10.

PokemontrainerY
11th December 2013, 3:14 PM
Geez, I didn't like how all those Steel-type were trying to hurt Torkoal just because it's a Fire-type and not a Steel-type. Seriously, All those Steel-type Pokemon ganging up on Torkoal was unfair.

The battle between Torkoal and Steelix didn't make much sense. How in the world Steelix was able to withstand those storng fire attacks from Torkoal? Oh well, at least Ash caught managed to catch that Torkoal.