PDA

View Full Version : Manectric Charge! (335)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:29 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/335.jpgManectric Charge!

Back in Mauville City, Ash decides to re-challenge Wattson to test out his newly captured Torkoal. However Wattson's Electrike recently evolved into a Manectric causing Ash to have a tough battle. Who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/335.shtml)

Discuss

Factory Head Noland
24th October 2004, 12:37 PM
I saw a clip of this episode, the bit when Skitty battles Ampharos. What a good battle, little Skitty Double Slapping that Ampharos! Go Skitty!!
From this episode you can tell that May is definatly growing with her Pokemon.
Skitty is just so cute!

Woohoo Mind Trainer! Caught up with Ash! Well hello there Tate & Liza, wanna battle? (omg 1000 posts)

♥Princess Ketchum♥
4th November 2004, 11:39 PM
Yeah that episode sounds cool and may has really done well in the pokemon series

King Shuckle
23rd November 2004, 2:57 AM
I am going to guess some dub titles for this ep. It's fun.

Watt are You Waiting For? (What are you waiting for?)
A Shock For Sore Eyes! (A sight for sore eyes)
Growing Tames (TV "Growing Pains")
A Shocking Defeat (Nothing Special)
The Thunder Years (TV "The Wonder Years")
Shock Therapy (Nothing Special)

I hope it's not a corny dub name.

frednmethod
29th November 2004, 5:14 PM
Is this the first time Ash has had a rematch with a gym leader after he beat him/her?

Space Skitty
1st December 2004, 12:43 AM
I think so, unless you want to count Brock & Misty that is. I'm looking forward to this one. The two battles sound great! Go, Skitty! Go, Skitty! You beat that big lamb! XD May's come a long way.

Princess May
4th December 2004, 8:52 AM
I think so, unless you want to count Brock & Misty that is. I'm looking forward to this one. The two battles sound great! Go, Skitty! Go, Skitty! You beat that big lamb! XD May's come a long way.

lol, i totally agree!!! GO SKITTY! ;300;

CyberCubed
4th December 2004, 2:39 PM
Nice episode, but they wasted too much time with TR in the beginning.

I liked it that Skitty beat Ampharmos. At this point SKitty seems to be as strong or stronger than her Beautifly, probably her strongest at this point.

Also nice to see Ash lose for a time. Thank goodness they didn't have him blindly win just for the sake of it.

MetaMew
4th December 2004, 2:44 PM
It was an ok episode. What really ****** me off is how the Trainer Choice said that a Larvitar, out of the choices, Swampert and Seviper, would be a better choice to fight against a Manectric. Come now, Swampert is a Water/Ground that has very high attack power compared to a puny larvitar.

Lindsay
4th December 2004, 2:48 PM
Wow Team Idiots carnival was actually great. To bad they had to ruin all the nice fun as usual. Really loved Torkoal trying to play soccer and Skitty being uber cute with the ring on her tail.

But yeah the idiots somehow got a magic net thats immune to seemingly any attack. I call BS on that plot device. Anyhow it was pretty predictable that Wattson would show up to help save the day. The unexpected part that it helped Electrike evolve. I figured it already would be.

Good opening to the second half with May vs Watts. She's actually been a competent battler lately so it was great ta see Skitty kick some butt!

Ash and Torkoal on the other hand got beat fair and square. Is it me or has Ash been racking up more losses then wins this season? Anyway Torkoal vs Manectric was kinda boring. Oh well at least Ash remembered Iron Defense.

And now I understand why the anime had them travel back to Mauville the way they did - to go to Verdanturf Town for more contest goodness.

4 / 5

Ash's rematch vs Wattson was abit of a letdown but otherwise this was a terrific episode.

CyberCubed
4th December 2004, 2:52 PM
It was an ok episode. What really ****** me off is how the Trainer Choice said that a Larvitar, out of the choices, Swampert and Seviper, would be a better choice to fight against a Manectric. Come now, Swampert is a Water/Ground that has very high attack power compared to a puny larvitar.

Swampert is also Ground, which Larvitar is not. Electricity doesn't effect Swampert at all.

Lindsay
4th December 2004, 2:56 PM
Swampert is also Ground, which Larvitar is not. Electricity doesn't effect Swampert at all.

Larvitar is Rock/Ground but still Swamperts the better choice since it's fully evolved. What was the 3rd choice? I got it down as Torkoal but I'm also half asleep.

V Faction
4th December 2004, 2:58 PM

Larvitar is Rock/Ground Cyber. Hope you aren't slipping.

Anyway, I liked this Episode before and I still like it.

-Guess 4Kids read the PokéNav wrong. They said "double back to Petalburg", when in fact Verdanturf is right between Mauville and Petalburg.

-;_; I miss the electric synthesizer they had for Electrike. And yes, we all know Manectric used "the voice". Boo-hoo. Rawr. I would've liked the Synthesizer with that one too at least. I'll have to go listen to Manectric's Japanese voice...

-On the other hand, Ampharos's seems delightfully simple. I never did see it's debut episode and I'm not sure if that was its Japanese voice, but it was good.

-Team Rocket said something after Torkoal Smogged them, to the effect of who would want to capture it. Eh, what? The tried to capture Flannerys... Comedic denial perhaps?

-Both battles were very good.

V Faction
4th December 2004, 2:59 PM
I got it down as Torkoal but I'm also half asleep.

Torkoal is correct. At least they were going easy on themselves when they chose it...

CyberCubed
4th December 2004, 3:00 PM
Oh yeah, guess so. I was thinking of how Tyranitar is only Rock, ah well.

Heracross
4th December 2004, 3:04 PM
This was a pretty good episode. It had some really nice battles anyway. It was neat to see Wattson again because he was cool, and his rematch with Ash was really good. Ash should have known better than to use Overheat so many times though. It was also cool to see Skitty defeat a fully evolved pokémon, seems like May has been using Skitty a lot more lately. The music was ok, they had some good battle music in there, but since I haven't seen the original I don't know how much they changed it. =/ By the way, did anyone besides me find it strange that in a carnival in the middle of a large city, Ash & co were the only ones there? Oh well.. I thought Torkoal was really funny randomly jumping in and blowing smoke everywhere.XD

Juputoru
4th December 2004, 3:12 PM
I think they didn't choose Swampert because it's also Water type, which is weak against Electric(despite being part ground...), and you know how whoever does the TCs thinks...(ie. stupidly)

-Tsk, tsk Ash! Didn't you learn ANYTHING about Overheat in your battle with Flannery?
-Manectric used Charge! Nice. Nice to see them using support moves more.
-Torkoal's not going to be a soccer star anytime soon :P
-I don't like Manectric's voice. I liked the electric feel of Electrike's voice better.

Gravy
4th December 2004, 3:18 PM
And yes, we all know Manectric used "the voice". Boo-hoo. Rawr. I would've liked the Synthesizer with that one too at least. I'll have to go listen to Manectric's Japanese voice...
'The voice'? You're not talking about the Absol/Zangoose/Shiftry/New-age Electrode/Swampert/new-age Venusaur/Blastoise voice by any chance are you? If thats the case, then all I can do is shake my head from side to side in silent dissapointment.

V Faction
4th December 2004, 3:26 PM
'The voice'? You're not talking about the Absol/Zangoose/Shiftry/New-age Electrode/Swampert/new-age Venusaur/Blastoise voice by any chance are you? If thats the case, then all I can do is shake my head from side to side in silent dissapointment.

That's the one. I was half expecting Manectric to say "Tree!!"

And both Venusaur and Blastoise? Maybe I'm naive, but I still say they have very different voices from "the voice".

Pinky the Mew
4th December 2004, 3:27 PM
I also think it was this trainer's choice thing is not correctly "educating" our begginer's correctly. A few weeks ago they said Seviper is the right choice to use aginst Forretress. ARE THEY EVEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO THE GAME!!! Poison type attacks are useless against steel-type Pokemon. And with Forretress being a steel-type, It can learn any rock attacks like Rock Slide (my personal favorite). Which means Seviper will be done dinner in just two turns.

Are these Trainer's Choices shown in Japan?

On the flip side, the battles were brilliant. Brilliant! I will never like Amphoras' Voice but it's nice to see Ash lose in a tight situation such as this. Really puts me on the edge, and I've notice Skitty isn't chasing her tail anymore. May going to be a graet battler!

V Faction
4th December 2004, 3:33 PM
I also think it was this trainer's choice thing is not correctly "educating" our begginer's correctly. A few weeks ago they said Seviper is the right choice to use aginst Forretress. ARE THEY EVEN PAYING ANY ATTENTION TO THE GAME!!! Poison type attacks are useless against steel-type Pokemon. And with Forretress being a steel-type, It can learn any rock attacks like Rock Slide (my personal favorite). Which means Seviper will be done dinner in just two turns.

Yes yes, we all know of that particular TC and we've all given our opinions and reasons on it.

But interesting you should mention a Move Tutor based attack. If you want to get into unnatural moves, just hand Seviper Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Also, Rock is neutral on Poison, so Rock Slide wouldn't exactly be the best choice, compared to, say, Earthquake, now would it?

No, they are crafted by 4Kids for the Dubbed broadcasts. Japan uses standard episode break bumpers.

Gravy
4th December 2004, 3:36 PM
And both Venusaur and Blastoise? Maybe I'm naive, but I still say they have very different voices from "the voice".
They do, but they sound very similar to it. I'm pretty sure that in the episode 'The light fantastic', the artist's Venusaur had the voice. If you compare it to the Venusaur seen in 'Bulbasaur's mysterious garden' theres a huge difference.

The unexpected part that it helped Electrike evolve. I figured it already would be.
....I figured that it would have already evolved also. Up until now thats what I've always thought was the case >_>; I suppose it was a nice touch though. Gave both Ash and Wattson a chance to test out their new pokémon I guess.

No, they just get a quick eyecatch image.

ronster486
4th December 2004, 3:38 PM
Skitty really is powerful, it suprised me in this episode. Ash was really bad in this episode though. 7/10

CyberCubed
4th December 2004, 3:43 PM
Well it's obvious that 4kids only knows BASIC pokemon battle knowledge. I can assure you none of the execs at 4kids EP train their pokemon, know what a DV is, know that some pokemon are dual-types, etc.

It seems most of their knowledge just comes from the show, they're definitely not basing the TC's off the Game strategy, but the anime strategy.

The Big Al
4th December 2004, 3:55 PM
Well, I don't want Watt having my back in a fight. Come on, it's called Thunder Wave. Though, considering how many times Skitty hit Ampharos, you think Static would have kicked in. Apparently Wattson didn't pick his assistant on his battle skills.

Torchic learns Quick Attack at Egad, Level 28. Not even going by levels, Torchic is no where near that expierence unless May's been feeding it Rare Candies.

Still, Manectric v Torkoal was sweet. It's too bad Ash threw his brains out the window and used Overheat three times. Come on, you know that Overheat grows weaker with repetitive use.

Pinky the Mew
4th December 2004, 3:55 PM
[QUOTE=V Faction]Also, Rock is neutral on Poison, so Rock Slide wouldn't exactly be the best choice, compared to, say, Earthquake, now would it?[QUOTE]

Oh, yeah that's right. Well, sometimes even I get confused when battling. Either way, I feel that they aren't expanding the right kind of knowledge. Mineral-based Pokemon Is the most top choice, When it comes to defensive and offensive!

By the way has anyone noticed that pokemon besides Pikachu is using Iron tail more often?

PDL
4th December 2004, 5:31 PM
^ you do realize that they've been showing Iron Tail ever since the swimming Rhydon episode way back in Jotho right?

and I'm surprized that no one's mentioned that they've replaced the plushie torchic with a pink ribbon box? well, it's not that big a deal, but I thought you people would go apeshit over because you people always go apeshit over things that don't go your way

Robert
4th December 2004, 5:32 PM
This episode was another "it's kind of just there" episode. I'm glad May won her battle, but Torkal's crying and smoke is already old (even though I like his voice). There was not much in the way of humor or action... Brings back memories of Johto to me...

Gravy
4th December 2004, 5:39 PM
they've replaced the plushie torchic with a pink ribbon box?
Eh? You mean they erased the plushie and digitally painted a ribbon box in its place? If so....wtf? O_O;;

Yellow
4th December 2004, 6:22 PM
This episode wasnt' that great. It was sort of boring because all they I saw was Torkoal trying to play soccer XD and Ash and May battling. Also, Skitty VS Ampharos was really stupid. How the f*ck could Skitty take down and Ampharos?

Akane
4th December 2004, 6:39 PM
This was a good epsiode. I missed the first fifteen mintues of it, dang. But the battles were awesome. May and Skitty make a great team. I was amazed that Ash made Torkoal used Overheat about three times. I said, "No Ash...ugh". But he did very well. Even though he lost to Watson. Watson did a lot better than last time. So yeah this epsiode was good. ^^ I wish I got to see the first fifteen mintues of it. *overslept, grr*

Space Skitty
4th December 2004, 6:46 PM
The battles were great; Skitty rules! May's getting good with Skitty. Manectric was a cool Pokemon. The battle between it & Torkoal was neat. It's a shame Ash used Overheat so much... Even I said something when he used it the third time. Ash was a little rude when May got to battle first but... I know how rash he is by now. Oh, and Pikachu actually made a very cute sound at one point on this episode. I haven't heard it make a cute sound in a while...

Indigo
4th December 2004, 7:27 PM
I'm kinda disappointed...

Ampharos VS. Skitty was kinda...fake. I mean, what are the odds of a not-very-hard trained Skitty beating an Ampharos, a 3rd stage Pokemon. Yeah, May HAD to win, but it isn't the most ethical outcome in the world.

The carnival was kinda cute. I think Ash and Max kinda share that "let's get going to find Pokemon!" kiddie thing, and that's really sweet. And then while May and Max are fighting, Ash and Brock stand on the sidelines, being mature and remembering when Ash and Misty used to act like that. I love the Hoenn group--it fits so well!

But...here's my rant.

Ash Ketchum is not a steady character. At first it seems as if he's learning so much in Hoenn, working strategies, taking his time, forming a plan, using his brain. But then every time the writers want him to lose, they make him a stupid newbie again, and he forgets everything he's ever learned. It's agitating.

Take Ash VS. Drew for a second. Ash, had he been using his techniques from when he battled Brawly, probably would've come off as a much tougher opponent, even though he had to lose. But instead, it's "Taillow, do this!...wait. It didn't work. So I lose! Oh well, you did great." I despise it.

But then when Ash has to win, he gets smart. Take Ash VS. Flannery. Corpish hitting Torkoal's shell from the side like that was absolutely genius! Now why can't he take that genius and channel it into somewhere where he has to lose, but still comes off as though he tried his best?

So I come to this match. Ash knows ALL TO WELL that he can't have Torkoal use Overheat so many times. He also knows that talking so much isn't going to get him anywhere either. And he ALSO knows that confidence alone is stupid. But guess what? Ashy boy has to lose, and he has to lose badly. Why? Because the writers don't realize that characters learn from experience!!!

Oh sure, you may think that May and Skitty are getting better. And they probably are. But I'll bet you that the next time they're obliged to lose, it'll be by a lot. Or maybe this is only an Ash thing. Who knows.

But I'm really sick of it. The writers have got to make Ash more consistent. It annoys the crap out of me when my favorite character loses a match he should've put up a good fight for, if not won. Imagine if this kind of thing happens during the Hoenn League! Horrible, just horrible.

That's the end of my rant. Scream at me if you will, but I've voiced my opinion, and that's all that matters to me now.

V Faction
4th December 2004, 10:21 PM
I didn't realize this sooner, but for those of you interested, Manectric's last attack was Shock Wave according to the guide. I was wondering why that particular "Thunder Wave" attack looked so different from all the others and at first thought it was a result from Charge. But the Mauville TM set me straight. I sure hope that doesn't happen in the future, not that there's been any new episode with Shock Wave in it IIRC...

Geodude
4th December 2004, 11:16 PM
-In a future Japanese episode, a Lairon uses Shock Wave.

-Cyber, Tyranitar is Rock/Dark, not just Rock.

-I guess the reasoning about Overheat was that they wanted to confirm that the effect applies to anything that uses the move, not just Flannery's Torkoal. Better to demonstrate that here, in a meaningless battle, than in a future gym battle or something. Rest assured, Ash doesn't make the same mistake again.

Indigo
5th December 2004, 12:09 AM
-I guess the reasoning about Overheat was that they wanted to confirm that the effect applies to anything that uses the move, not just Flannery's Torkoal. Better to demonstrate that here, in a meaningless battle, than in a future gym battle or something. Rest assured, Ash doesn't make the same mistake again.

That would be a good explanation, had Brock not informed Ash of this before in "All Torkoal, No Play". Remember? :p

So my case still stands, it seems.

The Big Al
5th December 2004, 1:18 AM
Yup Ash knew better. Why don't they just make the oppponent better instead of making Ash dumber? I've sat there going Ash, you know you shouldn't have done that, how could you be so stupid. (It's like watching a Lions game. :@)

Psychic Venusaur
5th December 2004, 3:52 AM
I didn't realize this sooner, but for those of you interested, Manectric's last attack was Shock Wave according to the guide. I was wondering why that particular "Thunder Wave" attack looked so different from all the others and at first thought it was a result from Charge. But the Mauville TM set me straight. I sure hope that doesn't happen in the future, not that there's been any new episode with Shock Wave in it IIRC...

I was wondering why a Thunder Wave did damage. I was expecting Shock Wave somewhere in this episode. Reminds of when Shiftry supposedly used a blue Stun Spore to put Joy to sleep.

This episode was pretty average imo. The main thing is that Manectric was introduced.

I thought the TC should be Swampert. Nothing typewise made either Swampert or Larvitar a better choice than the other, so, going by stats, Swampert would be a better choice.

7/10

Geodude
5th December 2004, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that last "Thunder Wave" was actually Shock Wave, since it was done in a completely different manner, and the ball of energy didn't exist in the other Thunder Waves.

Pokemon Fan
5th December 2004, 9:59 PM
That would be a good explanation, had Brock not informed Ash of this before in "All Torkoal, No Play". Remember? :p

So my case still stands, it seems.
My theory is it was very much a test battle for Ash and Torkoal. He wanted to test Torkoal's abilities, it's limits so to speak, and he did. He wanted to see just how long Overheat could be useful on his Torkoal as comapred to Flannery's. He Overheat once and it worked fine, he used it a second time and it seemed to work about as well. Now he knows that his Torkoal can't use Overheat more than twice without it becoming too weak to be very good. It was a nice touch how the width of Overheat got so thin by the third try, showing how it weakens in strength. It was still a rather risky move, but clearly Ash saw understanding his Pokemon's power as more important than necessarily winning. Or I could be completely wrong. ^_^

And I thought that the match between Skitty and Ampharos was realistic enough. With only Iron Tail and Thundershock this Ampharos wasn't the most experienced or powerful one on the planet, and Skitty is conceivably not that low of a level. Even so it go to the point that Skitty had next to no energy left, and as May noted it would be beaten if it was hit even one more time. Then she got lucky with the Assist causing Quick Attack which enabled Skitty to dodge damage and cause it at the same time.

So, it was Shock Wave huh, I wish I'd paid more attention to that scene... although Thunder Wave is capable of causing damage in the anime (i.e Lance's Dragonite, Jasmine's Magnemite), really, the Shiny Magneton in Johto was the first time we'd ever seen the move used to paralyze an opponent.

Pinky the Mew
5th December 2004, 11:12 PM
Actually, Ash (as explained in the earlier stages of the series) is in deed very, very stubbron!
Many times he pushes his pokemon on to their very limits ignoring the situation. such as the gym battle with Brawly, Lt. Surge, Viridian city, and Bliane. All four were battles in maintaining his pride in his pokemon as well as the one with Lorelei.

Some of them he made new limits for his pokemon, other times he got them hurt. So it's all because of one thing :
Ash is more headstrong than brainsmart (period).

Kamex
5th December 2004, 11:52 PM
Actually, Ash (as explained in the earlier stages of the series) is in deed very, very stubbron!
Many times he pushes his pokemon on to their very limits ignoring the situation. such as the gym battle with Brawly, Lt. Surge, Viridian city, and Bliane. All four were battles in maintaining his pride in his pokemon as well as the one with Lorelei.

Some of them he made new limits for his pokemon, other times he got them hurt. So it's all because of one thing :
Ash is more headstrong than brainsmart (period).
Maybe, but Ash usually thanks his Pokemon for a job welldone after the match, like most people do.

This episode was o.k. Manectric made its debut, with all its lighting glory.

Skitty beating that Ampharos was sort of strange (I think it beat it). But it must be getting stronger fast.

Not much else to say, 7/10.

Hales
6th December 2004, 9:34 AM
Yeah Ash is headstrong, stubborn as a mule... but he loves his pokemon! They love him too! :)

The Lapras Trainer
9th December 2004, 1:16 PM
and I'm surprized that no one's mentioned that they've replaced the plushie torchic with a pink ribbon box? well, it's not that big a deal, but I thought you people would go apeshit over because you people always go apeshit over things that don't go your way

It wouldn't be the first time 4Kids replaced one thing with another. In Episode 14 of Sonic X, Jerome Wise offers the media some freshly-squeezed orange juice, and then later on salami (which is in a box), however in the original, he's offering to refill their glasses with champagne. And the big change. Episode 17, the place Knuckles went to was a fast food place, while in the original, it was a bar. All the alcohol was colored to either look like orange soda or root beer. You'll notice at the end of Ep 14, Helen's father grabs a couple of bottles. Those were originally wine bottles, but 4Kids changed them to bottles of orange juice.

Juputoru
10th December 2004, 12:10 AM
It wouldn't be the first time 4Kids replaced one thing with another. In Episode 14 of Sonic X, Jerome Wise offers the media some freshly-squeezed orange juice, and then later on salami (which is in a box), however in the original, he's offering to refill their glasses with champagne. And the big change. Episode 17, the place Knuckles went to was a fast food place, while in the original, it was a bar. All the alcohol was colored to either look like orange soda or root beer. You'll notice at the end of Ep 14, Helen's father grabs a couple of bottles. Those were originally wine bottles, but 4Kids changed them to bottles of orange juice.
Yeah, but that's MUCH different. That's alcohol, they're not going to be able to show that on Saturday morning. This change didn't seem to have a reason for it - nobody cares if May was going for a plushie or a ribbon box, not even whoever dictates what can air when. It was simply a pointless change - kind of like how 4Kids eradicates any and all Japanese text(and some English text!) they see.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
10th December 2004, 2:59 AM
Well, Manectric has made its debut. Having missed the first Wattson epsiode, I had no clue how Wattson sounded, so I was pleasantly surprised. I liked his voice. Manectric and Torkoal's battle was pretty good, and Skitty vs. Ampharos was cool too. Skitty was really yelling when it was hit with Iron Tail the first time, it sounded like it was dying XD!! Plus, Ampharos's voice was so Kawaii!!!!!

Overall rating:
8.4 out of 10!!
The fair in the beginning was great, too, which really brought up points for this!!

SC~ out

Geodude
10th December 2004, 5:20 AM
It was simply a pointless change - kind of like how 4Kids eradicates any and all Japanese text(and some English text!) they see.

Not true. *points to the poetry book from Flannery's flashback*

Chris
14th December 2004, 6:44 PM
Wouldn't be the first time they made a useless edit. Remember how Satoshi's badgecase was edited to having a rectangle on the cover rather than a Pokéball that we see on HARUKA'S BANDANA all the time?

I'll never understand 4Kids. Especially since the have the Japanese episodes on hand, you'd figure they'd know how the hell to pronounce Raikou. x__X It's Rai-koh, not Rai-ku. >_o

Gravy
14th December 2004, 7:08 PM
Wouldn't be the first time they made a useless edit. Remember how Satoshi's badgecase was edited to having a rectangle on the cover rather than a Pokéball that we see on HARUKA'S BANDANA all the time?
Just to note, but the badge case has never been painted over from the episodes broadcast over here in the UK, and its been the same little Pokéball logo on the occassions it has been shown, be it a quick glance or a close-up shot 0.o;
That makes me wonder if we'll have the Torchic plushie erased over here actually~ But still, an edit like that just...doesn't add up at all. isn't it just a waste of time and money to do something so pointless?

Chris
14th December 2004, 7:10 PM
Yeah, that is rather odd. Couldn't be KidsWB's own doing since they've got terrible editing skills from what we see in their commercials. It'd have been painfully obvious if it was their own doing. x_x; 4Kids works in mysterious ways.

Swellow
15th December 2004, 12:48 AM
ETR don't forget it's spelled Rai-Ku well i think you understand what i mean

Chris
15th December 2004, 12:50 AM
It's spelled as Raikou. It's not supposed to be pronounced as Raiku.

Swellow
15th December 2004, 1:16 AM
True but some people prounounce the way things are spelled. But the O is a loud Oh I assume right

Torkoal Stu
9th January 2005, 1:55 PM
i hated the way they pronouced manectric i thought it was pronouced man-et-ric but they pronouced it man-electric( or something along those lines) it was a good ep and i liked it when torkoal fell over trying to kick the ball! lol

Factory Head Noland
9th January 2005, 3:35 PM
I saw this episode this morning and it rocked :D:D:D I loved it!
I loved everything about it! The battle between Skitty and Ampharos was great and Manectric and Torkoal was just frickin' awesome!
Ash was a bit naive telling Torkoal to use Overheat so many times, did he not learn anything from his battle with Flannery?! (Well except that Torkoal know Overheat, lol).

Team Rocket were so funny in this episode aswell! The carnival was excellent and Torkoal standing on it's hind legs was funny and then it fell over *ouch*.
Torkoal is one of my favourite Pokemon and I don't care what anyone says it's dub voice it great!

Alakazam
9th January 2005, 5:32 PM
Great Episode. Torkoal was funny, Skitty totally pulverised (sp?) Ampharos, and it was an all round good episode. 9/10.

Blazing Charmander
9th January 2005, 5:45 PM
I thought that this was a fairly good episode imo. It was kind of a filler-ish episode but it was also filled with action. Manectric's debut was awesome. It stood a really good battle against even Torkoal's first Overheat. I was a bit upset that, although Electrike made only a small appearance before it evolved, 4Kids changed the voice actor. The VA in Watt's with Wattson was cool. Oh well.

My fave part was probably the carnival. Who would have thought that Brock had such skill at footie. Torkoal's introduction to the other Pokemon was hilarious. Team Rocket actually had a strong and difficult net for once.

Rating: 7/10

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
10th January 2005, 1:25 PM
this episode was terrible!!!

it seemed shorter than other episodes and it was just rubbish....i didnt like it one bit

mane-ectric i thought it would have been man-ektric

Sharpshooter
10th January 2005, 2:41 PM
I thought the episode was good, the soccer challenge was a laugh. Rocko Brocko nailed one in the top corner, and then Torkoal lol.

The battle itself at the end was nice, good to see some of the old Ash again, getting his battle strategies all muddled up.

Torkoal Stu
10th January 2005, 6:10 PM
I saw this episode this morning and it rocked :D:D:D I loved it!
I loved everything about it! The battle between Skitty and Ampharos was great and Manectric and Torkoal was just frickin' awesome!
Ash was a bit naive telling Torkoal to use Overheat so many times, did he not learn anything from his battle with Flannery?! (Well except that Torkoal know Overheat, lol).

Team Rocket were so funny in this episode aswell! The carnival was excellent and Torkoal standing on it's hind legs was funny and then it fell over *ouch*.
Torkoal is one of my favourite Pokemon and I don't care what anyone says it's dub voice it great!

agreed! everything you said i agree with you! torkoal has a great dub voice better than manectric and what is with Ampharos' voice i couldn't understand what it said?

Shiny May
4th February 2005, 10:09 PM
a good episode, May put up an excellent fight against Ampharos and the battle of Manectric vs Torkoal was very enjoyable too
THe games in the beginning were nice to see, especially Torkoal playing soccer. I do think Torkoal is a real cry baby, but it's sweet and it makes Torkoal have its own personality

Medea
19th May 2005, 5:12 PM
Okay, I saw this episode again the other day...As far as my opinion of Wattson goes (I still don't really like him...but that's just me) But I will say this, the battle with his Manectric against Ash's Torkoal was really good to watch.

Geki
16th August 2005, 2:50 AM
The episode was decent, I thought the battle would be better. Seeing Manectric was cool since it's one of my favorite Pokemon. Ash should have won with Torkoal, but if he wasn't being such a stubborn trainer by using Overheat so much, he could have won.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
10th September 2005, 3:05 AM
Other than TR trying to steal the gang's Pokemon, this episode was great. Did anyone get the Magical Mystery Tour reference?

Black Marauder
11th September 2005, 12:33 AM
This episode was nice and it featured Ampharos, my fave-iest Electric type...:)

Eric Cartman
11th September 2005, 12:35 AM
Yeah this episode was cool ,and I agree with BC that it was good seeing Ampharos.

wobbanut
27th September 2005, 6:30 PM
The best parts I liked about this episode were the carnival scene, Team Rocket going through Wattson's obstacle course, and May's battle against Watt. I loved the carnival, which was pretty interesting for one of Team Rocket's capture schemes. :D I liked how excited May got over the ribbon case for sale, and Brock comments that he's stay away. LOL I loved Team Rocket going through the obstacle course because it was so much funnier than when the twerps did the same thing, and they demolished the robotic raikous at the end. :) May's battle was great too, mostly because it was nice to see something different than just Ash and the gym leader battling at a gym.

-Freedom'sWarrior-
10th January 2006, 10:26 PM
medea: I don't like Wattson much either, but I like his Manectric...:P

Ashy Boy
23rd September 2006, 11:53 PM
The only thing that really annoyed me about this episode was Team Rocket stealing all of Ash & Co's pokemon and how they almost got away with it.

Igottapoo
12th January 2009, 2:31 AM
I'm glad that they have a rematch even though he has the badge. The last battle was underwhelming. Good episode.

(s.i.e)
27th January 2009, 3:13 PM
wattson's manetric is one of the coolest pokemon of the hoenn region if you ask me, i liked watching this episode.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:41 PM
yay!
Manectric<3
i love this episode so much..Manectric is my fave electric =3

Ash-kid
12th August 2009, 1:26 PM
Good episode. the battle VS Wattson was great, because finally Ash has battled him in a real battle.

Lorde
24th January 2010, 5:27 AM
I guess the writers wanted Wattson to redeem himself after his horrible first battle back a while ago. Though this time they gave him a tougher Pokemon than I had expected.

I was glad that Ash finally got a challenge from the guy he so easily defeated. I was also surprised to see Wattson's assistant battling against May's newly captured Skitty in a tough match also.

All in all, I only really liked the battling portions of the episode, 5/10

Willow's Tara
7th May 2010, 7:40 AM
Not a bad episode, the beginning was interesting (Did TR seriously say to Torkoal that's a Pokemon we don't need to worry about stealing? Did they forget they tried stealing Flannery's Torkoal a few episodes ago, maybe getting blasted off has given them amnesia). Not a big fan of Wattson, aleast they did this episode after the Flannery episodes instead of making two episodes.

saar
6th July 2010, 1:19 PM
Wattson showed his real power. With his Manectric, no wonder why Ash lost.

Also, the battle with Skitty was amazing.

KGB13
9th August 2010, 8:07 AM
Both Ash and May's battles were good and Wattson's Manectric was pretty cool.

Good episode.

G50
3rd March 2011, 5:45 AM
This episode was ok... It was cool to see Watson again. It was great to see Manectric again, I really like Manectric. The rematch battle between Ash and Watson was great, but I don't like that Ash actually lost the battle. It was cool to see an Ampharos again. The battle between Skitty and Ampharos was great. It was great to see Skitty win that battle.

40/100

Vernikova
3rd July 2012, 5:37 PM
I'm glad to see that Wattson was able to redeem himself a little after the thrashing that he received in his debut episode. Watt wasn't chosen for his battling prowess it seems. This episode really ended quicker than I thought it would so I guess that just shows how much I enjoyed it.

7threst
28th September 2012, 10:02 PM
I loved the part with Torkoal and trying to play soccer, only ending up falling over himself and crying hahah. The carnival may have been another of Team Rocket's mischievousness, but it was still enjoyable to see. I was also happy to see Watson again and the two battles that followed afterwards. You can really see that Watson is a strong gym leader and I bet Ash would have severe difficulties beating him the first time if his Pikachu wasn't that overpowered.

AquaMilotic
29th November 2013, 1:56 AM
I really like this episode. I'm a Manectric fan, and seeing how Watson's Electrike evolved was really nice, as well as how it defeated Ash's Torkoal. After all, Ash losing every now and then keeps him realistic. And yeah, Torkoal playing soccer was pretty funny as well. And Skitty beating that Ampharos was also cool. 8/10.

PokemontrainerY
7th December 2013, 9:53 PM
I'm kinda disappointed with this episode. I didn't like the battle between Wattson's Ampharos and May's Skitty, How in the world a not-so-well trained Skitty defeated an experienced fully-evolved Ampharos is beyond my thoughts. It seems like the writers really like to give Skitty so many wins.

Then there was the terrible battle between Ash and Wattson. After battling with Flannery, Ash should've known that he can't let Torkoal use Overheat that many times. He should've also known that overconfidence is never good.....But what you know? Ash forgot everything and lost the battle badly! Geez, every time the writers want him to lose to someone, they always make him forget everything he learned in the past. It's really annoying!

If the writers wanted to showcase Wattson so badly, they could've make Ash lose to him in the Gym battle and then have Ash beat Wattson in a rematch. It would've been much better than Ash losing to Wattson AFTER getting the Dynamo Badge.

Aquarelle
20th April 2014, 1:10 PM
I just watched this episode for the first time IIRC. In regards to the Ash vs Wattson battle, I kind of have mixed feelings. I like Wattson a lot and thought his Manectric was strong, so I don't mind that he won. But, watching Ash just spam Overheat was a little painful. -_-

Overall, though, I did enjoy this episode. I liked May's battle as I thought Skitty looked hilarious Double Slapping that Ampharos. My favourite part was definitely Torkoal's soccer fail!

Painkiller2001
4th November 2014, 2:37 AM
Torkoal trying to kick the soccer ball was hilarious (and adorable with the way it was standing up!)!
Ash's rematch with Wattson was a lot better than is first battle against him. Glad that Wattson had a chance this time.