PDA

View Full Version : Disguise Da Limit! (338)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:34 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/338.jpgDisguise Da Limit!

It's time for the Pokémon Contest in Verdanturf Town. May wants to win her second contest but soon finds out she has to face the masked co-ordinator she recently met. Using her Skitty she must battle his Dusclops. Will she win?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/338.shtml)

Discuss...

Tate+Liza
21st November 2004, 7:38 PM
I hope she does. Mommy is really annoying. She keep on poking me. I wonder why do she like the name "Tate".

Gravy
4th December 2004, 1:50 PM
Meh, I was just watching a clip for this episode on the KidsWB site, and the battle between Dusclops and Skitty had some...really boring music playing in the background the whole time.
I mean, Haruka is unable to do any damage to Dusclops, and they've decided to use random mixxed-together tunes that don't give any sort of feeling of desperation at all x.x;
Bah, music does make a big difference in many cases I'm afraid~

Yellow
7th December 2004, 2:08 AM
What the Hell kinda dub title was this? Disquise Da' Limit? Sounds like something Meowth would say. Anyway, I think this will be an interesting contest episode.

Tamer Zack
7th December 2004, 6:06 AM
Meh, I was just watching a clip for this episode on the KidsWB site, and the battle between Dusclops and Skitty had some...really boring music playing in the background the whole time.
I mean, Haruka is unable to do any damage to Dusclops, and they've decided to use random mixxed-together tunes that don't give any sort of feeling of desperation at all x.x;
Bah, music does make a big difference in many cases I'm afraid~

There trying to fit the music in with the battle. This is probaly the 1st time we'll see the episode go by the game play.

Ethereal
7th December 2004, 6:17 AM
Wait, I thought this episode was called "Disaster of Disguise"...

Tamer Zack
7th December 2004, 6:22 AM
Wait, I thought this episode was called "Disaster of Disguise"...

That's episode 337 this is episode 338.

Ethereal
7th December 2004, 6:34 AM
Oh, well stupid I feel @_O

The Big Al
11th December 2004, 4:39 PM
Skitty vs. Dusclops battle = cheap and proof life's too easy on May. Skitty should have been toast after Focus Punch and certainly after the first Hyper Beam. -_- The battle against Grace was great but this was sickening and unreasonable. Poor Timmy, he got screwed by the writers.

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 4:43 PM
Ah, another good episode. Not quite as exciting as the contest Vs. Medicham, but still a good one.

Anyone else IMPRESSED by Jessie in this episode? In the first contest she entered using the Rainbow machine, cheating to win. In this episode Jessie actually DID win the first round fair and square. Maybe being a coordinator is something for Jessie as well?

Ha, May's battle against that Wartortle was short. The Dusclops Vs. Skitty battle seemed to be mostly a strategy of attack/deflect/repeat throughout the match. A nice bit of continuity was using Assist and Blizzard, which are both attacks Skitty learned recently. One thing I love about Hoenn is even the fillers contribute to the overall story (Skitty learning Assist in the Numel filler, and then Blizzard in the Delcatty one). Also liked the backstory on Timmy's mother.

May has her second ribbon. It seems May always goes against some of the toughest evolved forms in her contests (Medicham, Dusclops, and in the future, etc.)

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
11th December 2004, 4:43 PM
That's for sure. Skitty should have been a pile of ash after the second Hyper Beam. We all know Skitty's a bit more powerful than a normal one, but this was really pushing it. I'm glad Mrs. Grim converted, but don't you think a long time reunion with Poochyena would've fit the end more than May dancing happily? This was really not one of the better episdoes.

Overall rating:
4.9 out of 10.
Really bad for a nonfiller, worse than I could say for Johto, but this episode was boring and unreasonable. The prequel was so awesome, and then we get this.......

SC~ out

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 4:47 PM
Skitty is the equivilant of Ash's Pikachu, both seem to take and dish out far more than they should. May's Skitty seems to be very strong, it may have been a high level before she caught it, since it evolved by Moon stone and not level.

Maybe if you people stopped reading spoilers and looking at episode pictures you'd be surprised at the ep, instead of knowing everything that's going to happen before the episode even airs.

V Faction
11th December 2004, 4:47 PM
I have to agree with Al, I thought the Grace battle was leaps ahead of this one. Skitty has to be either one of the luckiest Pokemon or the Sharkiest.

And a nice change of pace with Jessie's name. 'Jesslana'. Hoo boy, that came out of no where. And you have to admit, if it wasn't for that TR stubbornness, Jessie could become a very skilled Coordinator. Luck simply wasn't on her side this time.

I wish Drew would stop flicking his hair, even though I know he won't quit any time in the future.

The TC was really random. I thought perhaps it was going to be Delcatty because of its performance with Solarbeam in just the previous episodes. I'd say, due to Wooper's neutrality against Spheal's attacks and how sucky Delcatty's stats are, either one would've been fine.

Kijuna
11th December 2004, 4:50 PM
Yeah. This episode was... really bad. johto filler bad. WTF kind of battle was this?! Did the writers of the last contest retire or something? Shipping hints in this and the last episode were many, though.

-Drew says hi to May without being a dick.
-May seems sad when Drew can't enter.
-Drew actually cheers May on, if I'm not mistaken.
-Ash cheers for Timmy. Contestshippers 1, Advanceshippers 0. Pwned.

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 4:53 PM
Ash also cheered for May in other parts of the episode, none of the characters were really one sided. Some of you must be forgetting what Johto fillers were really like, to put an episode like this on the same level.

The animation didn't seem to be as good in this ep, May looked a little off in some scenes.

And yeah, May does have a Super Skitty. I guess it makes up for Torchic's weakness at this time. Perhaps it's a new breed of Skitty with phenomenal advances in both attack and defense. Ah, a Super Pikachu and a Super Skitty, what will be next?

Ditzy_Blonde
11th December 2004, 4:53 PM
Enjoyable, but not as good as the second contest battle. :( The End Battle was just to simple and lacked the complexity of May's first and second contests. I think it has something to do with Skitty's limited moveset. Why is it that she pretty much uses Double Slap/Assist over and over again? I would orgasm if she used Charm, or maybe Attract (which skitty learns naturaly in the game, and Cute Charm is it's natural ability). Hopefully she'll learn these moves, as well as Heal Bell and Double Edge later.

And don't get so bent out of shape about Skitty's strength. Afterwall, we've put up with Super Pickachu for the past 7 seasons...

ŁańkaŃ
11th December 2004, 4:54 PM
It was a good EPISODE...it sad now...that we have to see MAY lose 1 or 2 battles now...in her upcoming CONTEST...

Robert
11th December 2004, 4:58 PM
May got a rather high score... A failed blizzard and juggling three balls was able to pass by? What the heck? The scenes where the Pokemon would perform blew by quickly, and the battle was pathetic. Skitty was way too powerful. This was one of my least favorite episodes in recent history...

Space Skitty
11th December 2004, 5:27 PM
I think it could've been better. The music I think really sorta ruined it a bit. (When Ash's Pikachu fought Timmy's Dusclops, they had some really good music. But this one was just... Repeatitive. I think May's battle was more important than Ash's so it should've had some more better music. The music sounded filler-ish, like the kind used in filler-battles.)

But Skitty was a tough little thing. Maybe another Super like Pika? I'm a little surprised it was able to take all those hits. Focus Punch isn't a little attack...

I felt a little sorry for Timmy. He did well.

PDL
11th December 2004, 5:28 PM
wow... judging by the actual battles, this episode was pretty bland

but I think the main focus of the episode is the whole backstory behind Mrs. Grim and her dislike for pokemon

I liked the Fallarbor contest alot better, and I hope future contests aren't as half-butted as this one was :\

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 5:30 PM
I'm glad Mrs. Grim converted, but don't you think a long time reunion with Poochyena would've fit the end more than May dancing happily?

That Poochyena was taken away from her when she was like 5 years old, so you honestly expected that the SAME Poocyhena from what could be 20-30 years ago would magically reappear and be reunited with the mother? By what logic is that?

PDL
11th December 2004, 5:33 PM
That Poochyena was taken away from her when she was like 5 years old, so you honestly expected that the SAME Poocyhena from what could be 20-30 years ago would magically reappear and be reunited with the mother? By what logic is that?

time machine of course :D

but I kid, there's no way that Poochyena would even be alive let alone be reunited with Mrs. Grim

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 5:40 PM
Well, it could be still alive, it may live a little longer than a dog in real life. :p

I'm confused as to why some people are surprised Skitty beat a Dusclops. This is the same Skitty that took down a fully evolved Ampharmos remember?

V Faction
11th December 2004, 5:50 PM
I'm confused as to why some people are surprised Skitty beat a Dusclops. This is the same Skitty that took down a fully evolved Ampharmos remember?
Probably because Watt's Ampharos didn't seem to be all that powerful or well skilled. It had Iron Tail and Thundershock, not all too impressive. The Phantom's Dusclops however had all kinds of powerful diverse attacks. Not to mention the Phantom had a reputation for being strong (he beat Roselia after all). Skitty survived its incredible assault almost magically, so I can why people complain.

The Big Al
11th December 2004, 5:52 PM
Skitty maybe a super but don't even think Pikachu would still be standing after that kind of punishment. Not mention Pikachu has been around for years and uis very well trained. Skitty's been around for a half dozen episodes and takes a Focus Punch, deflects another, and then take two Hyper Beams. Like I said, even Pikachu would be a shadow on a wall after that.

I like the redone Kanto gym-leader music they played during Jessie's and Timmy's battle. It was probably the best piece of music the entire episode.

Other than that, I remember Johto and this comes pretty darn close.

Heracross
11th December 2004, 5:53 PM
Poochyena could still be alive, pokémon aren't like normal animals after all. The pikachu Vitcor had was at least 20 years old. It would still be pretty unlikely that they would be reunited, but it's not necessarily dead. Anyway, this episode was pretty good, Timmy's dad was really cool for letting him go to the contest like that. It was also cool seing his mother give in and let him have pokémon after she remembered how much she missed Poochyena. It seemed a lot more emotional in the original version though, the music they played was really sad. The contest battles were really good too, Jessie seems to do better each time, but she just never catches a break.:p I was dissappointed but not surprised that the only music 4Kids kept in the entire episode was during Jessie's battle with Timmy. Even though I really like that music it's just not enough to make up for the rest of the episode. I also really liked how they used Ready Go! for the battle between May and Timmy, but of course they didn't keep it in the dub because it had Japanese words in it.

Korobooshi Kojiro
11th December 2004, 7:09 PM
This episodes was okay, but I like the first part of the Contest Arca better then the actual contest, but trust me, the latest contest is really cool! (Don't wanna spoil it)

Chris
11th December 2004, 7:34 PM
Skitty maybe a super but don't even think Pikachu would still be standing after that kind of punishment. Not mention Pikachu has been around for years and uis very well trained. Skitty's been around for a half dozen episodes and takes a Focus Punch, deflects another, and then take two Hyper Beams. Like I said, even Pikachu would be a shadow on a wall after that.

I like the redone Kanto gym-leader music they played during Jessie's and Timmy's battle. It was probably the best piece of music the entire episode.

Other than that, I remember Johto and this comes pretty darn close.
Would you quit your *****ing? :\ She didn't have it easy. She got lucky that Assist worked in her favor most of the time and the two were close to beating eachother. The way the battle worked was nicely done. Gust blowing away Hyper Beam, then String Shot wrapping around the projectile Focus Punch and destroying it (makes sense too, considering if the opponent attacks during Focus Punch then it fails), then Ember destroying all the Will-o-Wisp flames, and then Silver Wind blowing being destroyed by Psychic. They didn't give it to her on that. It came down to the luck of the draw between Blizzard and Hyper Beam.

Since I missed the episode, anyone wanna confirm to me if the karaoke of Ready Go! was playing during the battle?

psisam
11th December 2004, 7:40 PM
I thought it was ok but I don't know how a skitty could beat a dusclops.

V Faction
11th December 2004, 7:48 PM
She didn't have it easy. She got lucky that Assist worked in her favor most of the time and the two were close to beating eachother.
If you ask me, using luck isn't an accurate display of determining the ease of a battle. Random luck is just that, random luck, not an example of proving your skills whilst in a pickle nor an example of blowing the whole match. If you're talking in general about the battle, that it wasn't easy to face-off against Dusclops, then I agree, because almost every battle works like that.

The way the battle worked was nicely done. Gust blowing away Hyper Beam, then String Shot wrapping around the projectile Focus Punch and destroying it (makes sense too, considering if the opponent attacks during Focus Punch then it fails), then Ember destroying all the Will-o-Wisp flames, and then Silver Wind blowing being destroyed by Psychic.
Only if the user takes damage does Focus Punch fail. String Shot would not have be useful in stopping Dusclops from using Focus Punch, but it was helpful in the way it was used to cease the attack itself. Still, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when the likes of Gust, String Shot, and Ember can stop powerful attacks like Hyper Beam, Focus Punch, and Will-O-Wisp. However, Silver Wind and Blizzard were a lot more appropriate.

I can put that all aside though. The one true thing that disturbed me was how Skitty could survive attacks that calculate in the 100+ range. Focus Punch alone would've set its points back a pretty penny. The only reason for all of that I can come up with is because of Dusclops's low attack power, but still...

Since I missed the episode, anyone wanna confirm to me if the karaoke of Ready Go! was playing during the battle?
Reports say that it wasn't included.

Chris
11th December 2004, 7:48 PM
Simple. It didn't use Normal attacks, nor is this the game where the battle would be in Dusclops' favor due to its defenses. o_O

The thing is that Skitty destroyed Focus Punch with style and did it quite fast. Most people would try having their Pokémon dodge attacks of the sort, thus resulting in loss of points when it has some sort of effect on the defensive Pokémon.

And really can you guys really complain about it? We were treated to great looking battles during these Contests.

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 8:01 PM
I firmly believe if Beautifly was used in this contest instead of Skitty, it either would have lost, or performed a strategic battle with whirlwind and string shot.

May's Skitty is just a "Super Skitty", seemingly blessed with stats that make it stronger than most evolved forms.

Granted I did enjoy the battle, and I don't see how people thought it was as bad as a Johto filler, but the battle was a little cheap, because of well..."Super Skitty" resisting two direct Hyper Beams, Focus Punches, and then having lucky Assist and Blizzard working just at the right time to win.

It's just a Super Skitty, you can't really debate it.

Chris
11th December 2004, 8:11 PM
Remember that the attacks didn't hit Skitty. And don't worry about Assist and Blizzard. There's going to be times where they don't work exactly as planned.

V Faction
11th December 2004, 8:15 PM
Remember that the attacks didn't hit Skitty.
Huh? Cyber's right, Focus Punch and 2 Hyper Beams hit Skitty head on.

The Big Al
11th December 2004, 8:19 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not buying the super Skitty bit. It's more powerful than Pikachu and yet it's been around for 1/50 the time. Even a well trained Skitty can't take one physical hit of that magnitude, let alone 3 and half.

I don't see why you two defend the undefendable.

Chris
11th December 2004, 8:22 PM
I was referring to the part where the battle started to pick up in her favor, although Skitty was hit by one Focus Punch and one Hyper Beams During the first portion, Skitty did take abit of a defensive stance for the first Focus Punch. One of Dusclops' Hyper Beams did hit but then the next one was blown away. Then the body picks up.

Chris
11th December 2004, 8:24 PM
I'm sorry but I'm not buying the super Skitty bit. It's more powerful than Pikachu and yet it's been around for 1/50 the time. Even a well trained Skitty can't take one physical hit of that magnitude, let alone 3 and half.

I don't see why you two defend the undefendable.
And it's because you constantly ***** about the un*****able. Regular battles are not the same as Contests. Contests don't exactly rely on attacks to have full power. And we could see Dusclops' Hyper Beams were no where near as strong as say a Gyarados' considering those normally cause explosions.

V Faction
11th December 2004, 8:27 PM
Skitty did take abit of a defensive stance for the first Focus Punch.
...If you call a defensive stance just standing there, heh...

Ditzy_Blonde
11th December 2004, 8:29 PM
And lets not forget that the power of attacks are scalled down for contests. Remember in the Dustox/Beautifly contests episode, when the trainer told his dustox to lower the power of his psybeam? Well, same thing can apply.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
11th December 2004, 8:30 PM
I'm with you Al, no Skitty can survive that sort of thing. My Skitty, at Lv. 15, was critically injured by a Lv. 5 Pidgey. Skitty's Defenses are so low that there's no way it can survive even one of those attacks. Normally, Skitty are cute, but this one is just too godly in this contest. And, while regular battles may not have the power of regular ones, that doesn't mean that they have it easier. Hyper Beam is still powerful enough to 2HKO. And Skitty shouldn't have been able to take a Focus Punch from a Tyrogue, let alone a Dusclops(although the Attack power difference is not that high, really:p).

SC~ out

Chris
11th December 2004, 8:33 PM
Had Skitty taken the attack head on, it would've been knocked backwards considering it was attacked the moment it came out. But that doesn't seem to be the case:
http://myuu.munkki.net/images/skitty.jpg

Ditzy_Blonde
11th December 2004, 8:34 PM
O_o What? Your Skitty must have been pretty weak if that happened. I only train Skitty's in the game, and all of them can hold their own if given the right moveset.

Chris
11th December 2004, 8:36 PM
I'm with you Al, no Skitty can survive that sort of thing. My Skitty, at Lv. 15, was critically injured by a Lv. 5 Pidgey. Skitty's Defenses are so low that there's no way it can survive even one of those attacks. Normally, Skitty are cute, but this one is just too godly in this contest. And, while regular battles may not have the power of regular ones, that doesn't mean that they have it easier. Hyper Beam is still powerful enough to 2HKO. And Skitty shouldn't have been able to take a Focus Punch from a Tyrogue, let alone a Dusclops(although the Attack power difference is not that high, really:p).

SC~ out
Ugh. Game stats have no place in the anime. Were it true, every attack done by everyone against Dusclops would've done very little to it.

CyberCubed
11th December 2004, 8:37 PM

While I agree Skitty should have been knocked out at least by the second Hyper beam, why are you comparing it to your Skitty in the games? If you Lvl 15 Skitty was fainted by a Level 5 Pidgey, perhaps yours has crap DV's and a bad Nature. May's Super Skitty seems to be stronger than a Delcatty in some ways. If it knew Thunderbot and Flamethrower as well it'd be godly in the anime.

V Faction
11th December 2004, 8:50 PM
Had Skitty taken the attack head on, it would've been knocked backwards considering it was attacked the moment it came out. But that doesn't seem to be the case:
http://myuu.munkki.net/images/skitty.jpg

But it was taken head on. It didn't have time to react, because, as you said, the attack was administered as soon as they popped out of their Poke Balls. May didn't even command a "Brace yourself!" type of maneuver.

Even Will-O-Wisp looked like it did more damage to Skitty than Focus Punch.

Chris
11th December 2004, 8:54 PM
Thing is that had Skitty actually really taken a severe blow from the attack, it'd have flown backwards considering the direction it came out of its ball. Seemed more like it was using its head (no pun intended >_>) to lessen the blow.

The reason for Will-o-Wisp doing more damage was because it was little damage piling up considering the amount of ghostly fireballs there were that were surrounding Skitty.

V Faction
11th December 2004, 8:56 PM
Thing is that had Skitty actually really taken a severe blow from the attack, it'd have flown backwards considering the direction it came out of its ball. Seemed more like it was using its head (no pun intended >_>) to lessen the blow.

The reason for Will-o-Wisp doing more damage was because it was little damage piling up considering the amount of ghostly fireballs there were that were surrounding Skitty.

*Sigh*

Yeah, because if it doesn't fly backwards then its clearly unphased by a 300 power attack! Even the points don't lie!

*Jumps off cliff*

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
11th December 2004, 9:56 PM

SC~ out
NOT KOed. There's a difference<<;;. BTW, FYI, my Skitty's IVS are ALL between 17 and 23(level too low to determine it exactly), except for Speed, which is higher, but that's irrelevant. And, as far as I know, it being the Box Skitty doesn't make it weaker than your hand captured Skitty. Any Skitty will be severely injured by a Hyper Beam, anime or ingame, and two will take it out without effort. Maybe if it were a Delcatty, there'd be different odds, but as Skitty..........Nope, not gonna work. Even if by some miracle it had survived, Focus Punch would've taken it down. I'm just saying that the anime makes stuff too easy for lil Skitty, and that they needed to put some more effort into this Contest.

SC~ out

The Big Al
11th December 2004, 9:58 PM
And it's because you constantly ***** about the un*****able. Regular battles are not the same as Contests. Contests don't exactly rely on attacks to have full power. And we could see Dusclops' Hyper Beams were no where near as strong as say a Gyarados' considering those normally cause explosions.

I'll "b****" if want to. You're just being unreasonable. Althrough Dusclops isn't an offensive power house, it's attack power is far greater than Skitty's defenses. I also didn't see any attempt to defend against the first Focus Punch. Also, Dusclops blew away Roselia (a very well trained Roselia I might add) with two or three attacks that weren't nearly as strong as the attacks used on Skitty. Yet Skitty was not only still conscious but had the energy to execute two Blizzard attacks.

Psychic Venusaur
12th December 2004, 12:12 AM
Skitty beating Dusclops really ticked me off. I was hoping the whole time that Timmy and Dusclops would win. I don't understand how Skitty won. It really is a super Skitty. All that onslaught and it was still standing?

How could a Skitty's gust blow away a Dusclops' Hyper Beam?

What also annoys me is how May used Beautifly and Skitty in Pokemon Contests before Torchic. Right now, Torchic isn't getting much attention.

I liked how Timmy's mom saw the light. That poor Poochyena...

Jessie was going prety good. 28.5 in the first round, more than anyone else. She did that without cheating too. I wish she didn't go all berserk later on. I wish Jessie could actually win a contest, without cheating too.

I'm sure whatever that Blastoise did was better than juggling three orange balls slowly with a tail and an unsuccessful Blizzard. Although it did seem sort of like just a Rain Dance or something.

In this episode and the previous one, there were three different Poochyena.

I still loved this episode, but I wish Dusclops won 9/10

The Big Al
12th December 2004, 1:35 AM
THANK YOU, at least some people agree with me.

I almost forgot all the great acts that should have out done Skitty but didn't. Why did they give that blasted kitten an unreasonable bout of luck? I'm glad May gets her clock thoroughly cleaned in the next contest.

Chris
12th December 2004, 2:04 AM
If it'll make you whiners feel better, she loses in the next contest and her Combusken participates in a Contest. e_e

Kamex
12th December 2004, 2:09 AM
I agree that Skitty's win over Dusclops was strange, but it's not like small weak-looking Pokemon haven't suddenly defeated large, powerhouse opponents before in the anime, and I'm not just talking about Pikachu.

Jessie, I mean Jesslana :D did very well in this contest, and she didn't cheat once. But she lost.

It's weird how Dusclops kept using Will 'o Wisp, in this episode and the last, but it never actually hit and burned the opponent, if I'm not mistaken.

I rate this episode 7/10.

Phantom_Bugsy
12th December 2004, 2:12 AM
OH MY GOD. I loved this ep.

Serious eye candy in the form of a troubled boy ONCE AGAIN. I love it.

<3's Kimimaro-sama (or..."Timmy", wtf...dumb name, cute boy. Like usual.)

Heracross
12th December 2004, 2:13 AM
It's weird how Dusclops kept using Will 'o Wisp, in this episode and the last, but it never actually hit and burned the opponent, if I'm not mistaken.

It did hit Skitty a few times, but the effect of the attack was never mentioned. We were pretty much left to assume that it just did damage like any other attack.

Princess May
12th December 2004, 2:17 AM
That was a pretty cool contest. Skitty is one tough cookie!

I'm glad May gets her clock thoroughly cleaned in the next contest.

wow, you must be a SERIOUS May hater to say that.

The Big Al
12th December 2004, 3:12 AM
wow, you must be a SERIOUS May hater to say that.
Wow, you just noticed that? Here I've been trying to make opinions crystal clear for everyone.

EDIT: Back on topic, did that first Blizzard on Dusclops actually fail or was it the fact that Dusclops has such thick skin that it didn't care.

V Faction
12th December 2004, 3:29 AM
Wow, you just noticed that? Here I've been trying to make opinions crystal clear for everyone.

EDIT: Back on topic, did that first Blizzard on Dusclops actually fail or was it the fact that Dusclops has such thick skin that it didn't care.
It failed.

Kamex
12th December 2004, 3:29 AM
It did hit Skitty a few times, but the effect of the attack was never mentioned. We were pretty much left to assume that it just did damage like any other attack.
Oh. Well they should have shown Will o' Wisp burning someone at least once so they could show the viewers that that's what it's supposed to do. Maybe they'll just show that attack later.

The Big Al
12th December 2004, 3:34 AM
It did hit Dusclops, it just didn't do anything to it. I guess it was a failed attempt. (Note: do not count on uber attacks.)

It would have been funny if Skitty got burned and went bonkers and starting running like crazy because of the burn.

KreKitten
12th December 2004, 3:49 AM
wow you guys sure know how to argue...well in my opion skitty shouldnt have been in the 2nd round anyways let alone win it....that juggling thing bored me, the battle bored me, i miss beautifly ::sigh::

but i was ok with that cause my jess did soooooooo good! omg i was so amazed, and without cheating, i knew she had it in her! yup my mama would make a good coridenator(sorry sorry) would she? :D why must they always go back to their old fearful selfs :(

Phantom_Bugsy
12th December 2004, 3:54 AM
I really DO think she should have lost, because that would have let "Timmy" win. *his name is KIMIMARO. Why the butchering I ask? WHY?!* It would have been better to see him win and even better show his mom he can do something. ^_^

On a side note, his dad IS hot. Seriously. XD

Princess May
12th December 2004, 4:29 AM

I knew that u were a May hater but must u be so rude!

anyway...i also was really impressed by how good of a coordinator Jessie was. But what i found kinda strange was that in almost every contest pikachu blasts team rocket through the roof. i mean cant security or something remove them without damaging the building. O_o

Chris
12th December 2004, 4:34 AM
Actually if you look at the way the first Blizzard was used, it pretty much failed the moment it was about to touch Dusclops. Proof enough that Skitty has yet to master Blizzard. Infact, the first Blizzard was rather weak looking compared to the second one.

CyberCubed
12th December 2004, 5:02 AM
May should have lost this one but won the other one in the future. Although I haven't seen the other one to really say they should be switched.

Cloud Strife
12th December 2004, 7:52 AM
Okay, 2 things, I am starting to not hate Contests anymore (just people who dare say it is just as complex or important as battling. And, THIS EPISODE WAS TERRIBLE.
I am not sure it was this one (I think it was) that said the Dance like a Butterfree, Sting like a Beedrill one, but it is "FLOAT like a butterfly sting like a bee. WTF, get it right, damn you.
Go shoot yourself if you think Skitty should have made it to the finals over the Charizard, or for that matter anyone, it messed up on a Blizzard, and then juggled THREE balls slowly, WOW.
Jessie got screwed, She should have fought May, here is how the seeding works idiots in Japan who created this episode
1 vs 4
2 vs 3
Not 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4, WHF is wrong with you idiots, you have soccer tournys over there, someone at TV Tokyo must have known how seeding works.
Timmy got majorly screwed, I am watching the entire battle thinking, well, I know from the people on Serebii that everytime May enters a contest with a Pokemon for the first time she loses (I would like to say thank you to the person who told me that, thanks to your ignorance, I was surprised at the end of this episode) than she ends up winning. If a LV 75 Dusclops hits a LV 100 Skitty with 2 Hyperbeams, Skitty is gone. This was sickening, worst was how the FP was taken out, SS would not do crap to stop FP. May does have things way too easy.
Anyway, for following a somewhat good episode, and being the penacle of suckage (almost, the Torkoal capture episode was worse) in Hoenn, I give this piece of crap dubbed and in Japanese a 2/10

Togemon
12th December 2004, 8:21 AM
Bleh... the only things I liked about this episode was Jessie doing really good and the backstory about Timmy/family. I thought it would have been good for his mother to see him win. Plus, I thought the battle was cheap, and I dislike Drew and Skitty very much. 4/10.

The Big Al
12th December 2004, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I don't get that at all. Every single tournament pits the best against the worst.

I'm just amazed that Dusclops didn't even use his big guns and clobbered Dustox and Roselia with relative ease. Then he used his most powerful attacks on Skitty and it's still in the fight. That's wrong.

frednmethod
12th December 2004, 4:48 PM
Yeah, even though I'm a huge May fan, I agree that the battle was kinda stupid.

But hey, the first two contests and the upcoming contests (3 uptil now in japan) are MUCH better.

Yellow
12th December 2004, 7:29 PM
I liked this contest episode more then the last one in Fallarbor Town. I thought May was going to lose when she kept on telling Skitty to learn Blizzard.

Chris
12th December 2004, 7:56 PM
Okay, 2 things, I am starting to not hate Contests anymore (just people who dare say it is just as complex or important as battling. And, THIS EPISODE WAS TERRIBLE.
I am not sure it was this one (I think it was) that said the Dance like a Butterfree, Sting like a Beedrill one, but it is "FLOAT like a butterfly sting like a bee. WTF, get it right, damn you.
Go shoot yourself if you think Skitty should have made it to the finals over the Charizard, or for that matter anyone, it messed up on a Blizzard, and then juggled THREE balls slowly, WOW.
Jessie got screwed, She should have fought May, here is how the seeding works idiots in Japan who created this episode
1 vs 4
2 vs 3
Not 1 vs 3 and 2 vs 4, WHF is wrong with you idiots, you have soccer tournys over there, someone at TV Tokyo must have known how seeding works.
Timmy got majorly screwed, I am watching the entire battle thinking, well, I know from the people on Serebii that everytime May enters a contest with a Pokemon for the first time she loses (I would like to say thank you to the person who told me that, thanks to your ignorance, I was surprised at the end of this episode) than she ends up winning. If a LV 75 Dusclops hits a LV 100 Skitty with 2 Hyperbeams, Skitty is gone. This was sickening, worst was how the FP was taken out, SS would not do crap to stop FP. May does have things way too easy.
Anyway, for following a somewhat good episode, and being the penacle of suckage (almost, the Torkoal capture episode was worse) in Hoenn, I give this piece of crap dubbed and in Japanese a 2/10
*sigh* Why the hell would Haruka lose in every Contest she entered? And ONCE AGAIN, the games stats have NO INFLUENCE on the anime. Did you not notice Dusclops wasn't the beefy tank it is in the games?

You guys keep forgetting that in Contest battles, beating the crap out of the opponent is NOT the only way to win. You have to use style while using the right attacks. Skitty used stylish, yet strategic attacks to counter Dusclops' attacks. Dusclops attacks simply just required it to stand perfectly still and just fire off its attacks. Notice how its Hyper Beams and Focus Punches didn't drain much in points from Haruka. Plus she even countered a Focus Punch by having Skitty smack it with its tail.

Get over it, guys. This isn't the games where you can throw your statistics into it. We've seen a small Pokémon trash a much larger one PLENTY of times. I simply cannot understand how in the world an episode like this is so much worse than some others to you guys. e_e

Indigo
13th December 2004, 12:19 AM
I'm sorry, May fans, Contest fans, protectors of the onslaught of criticism. But this episode was downright C-H-E-A-P.

--Skitty never screwed up Blizzard, and now it does? That's a teeny bit unfair to May, even though she really isn't my favorite character.
--Skitty really should've been done by the first two Hyper Beams. Pikachu would've been ready to collapse when put under that kind of pressure. Add that to the Focus Punches and Psychics Skitty endured...it just wasn't right.
--Skitty's failed Blizzard in the first round definitely should've screwed May. In a competition with that many people who've trained that hard, there isn't any room for failures. But by the magic of the writers...
--Timmy should've won. His story was phenomenal, his desire, his connection...all SO beyond one-shot characters. And yet he ends up losing to mopey May and super Skitty. Please excuse the negative alliteration.

Now, the good stuff.

--Ash was neutral. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :D
--Timmy was so much better than your run-of-the-mill character. Loved him.
--Jessie(Jesslana...Where the hell did that come from? :p) was AWESOME! Her display took some talent to produce. I want to see Jessie win a contest, but of course that isn't happening. On a side-note, why does she always have to disguise herself in contests? No one but Ash and Co. know who she is, and if she's just trying to win a contest fairly like she was, they have nothing on her.

All in all, the episode was pretty bad. The Big Al, I'm beginning to agree with you on the fact that May has it way too easy. This episode was cheap beyond reason. 4.5/10

Pokemon Fan
13th December 2004, 12:49 AM
Wow, I'm siding with a detractor for once (though I still can't comprehend how Cloud Strife found the Torkoal capture episode to be bad, let alone WORSE then this).

Before going on with my criticisms, I should note one thing that I feel in unjust in detracting this episode, the Hyper Beams. To me it didn't look at all like Skitty was hit directly by them, more like it was dodging and just got hit by the edge of the beam (like when one gets a cut from a bullet nearly hitting them). Thus it makes sense Skitty took little damage from that. However, it would have helped if they had showed Skitty trying to dodge rather than reusing the same scene of it getting hit.

More pros:

I liked how they showed the many uses of Psychic (i.e it can manipulate matter and energy and fire as a blast of energy), and Jessie's appeal was beautiful.

The story of why the mother hated the thought of her son being close to Pokemon was fairly touching, if scant on details.

HOWEVER.

I found May's appeal to be very disappointing. Skitty's juggling was so simple and plain, it should have shown more energy. It is super cute though so it must have won over the judges just on looks. At least they had May get the lowest score of those who passed, but the way it was shown May shouldn't have passed, unless all the others that didn't were really bad (and from what we saw it was hard to tell).

While I can understand the Hyper Beams, I do not see how Skitty took so little damage from a Focus Punch right in the face, unless its head has some armor playing or something that we don't know about. It does look like it has a thick skull, but still the attack was so direct and seemed to hit it quite hard (though it looked weak compared to other Focus Punches we've seen) and yet it took away so few points. They should have had it take away and lot and then just cut out or have Skitty dodge most other attacks it was hit by in the battle.

The Hyper Beams were incredibly weak, I can't recall ever seeing ones before that were so small and did so little damage to the surrounding area (just look at the Hyper Beam used by Dusclops in the sixth movie for comparison.)

Everyone's powers seemed just so screwed up against each other, and without any explanations. If they had explained strange effects more like they usually do this would have been better.

The most awful thing is that they could have had Skitty win the battle well if the writers had simply had May use one of those clever strategies the writers are usually so good at. Heck, knocking the Will-O-Wisp back into Dusclops was a good start. They could have made it so Dusclops was badly Burned and all its attacks became much weaker because of it (a bit like in the games and believable for the anime). Instead we get a bunch of random saves from Assist (some made sense, some didn't) and an incredibly powerful Blizzard.

Finally, the animation wasn't much to look at. The attacks were generally simplistic in design and the Pokemon moved little during the battles. Normally this wouldn't be absolutely horrible, but here they made the poor battles even worse.

It had so much potential with its story and all but the poorly done battles and Skitty's appeal ruined it... If I had to say there was a bad Hoenn episode then this would be it simply given how much one expects from a Contest episode.

*is sad, but knows this episode is a big exception to the rule*

Geodude
13th December 2004, 12:52 AM
--Skitty never screwed up Blizzard, and now it does? That's a teeny bit unfair to May, even though she really isn't my favorite character.
Um, never? Two times previously is a bit of a small sample size, don't you think? -_- And at least it shuts up the annoying people who were complaining in the Delcatty ep thread about Skitty having learned Blizzard too quickly.

--Skitty really should've been done by the first two Hyper Beams. Pikachu would've been ready to collapse when put under that kind of pressure. Add that to the Focus Punches and Psychics Skitty endured...it just wasn't right.
I think Focus Punch did less damage than usual because Dusclops performed it as a ranged attack instead of the direct-contact punch we've seen before.

On a side-note, why does she always have to disguise herself in contests? No one but Ash and Co. know who she is, and if she's just trying to win a contest fairly like she was, they have nothing on her.
You just answered your own question. And did you not notice that Ash only blasted TR off after they tried to steal Dusclops?

Indigo
13th December 2004, 2:34 AM
Um, never? Two times previously is a bit of a small sample size, don't you think? -_-

Yeah, but in the episode it's supposed to shine in? No one told May that it might screw up. She had no idea. Whereas Ash's Pikachu screwed up a few times, and he had a chance to fix it. I don't believe I'm defending May, as I've never defended her before, but I am.

And at least it shuts up the annoying people who were complaining in the Delcatty ep thread about Skitty having learned Blizzard too quickly.

Ah, true. :D

I think Focus Punch did less damage than usual because Dusclops performed it as a ranged attack instead of the direct-contact punch we've seen before.

Even so, it seemed pretty damn unfair to me.

You just answered your own question. And did you not notice that Ash only blasted TR off after they tried to steal Dusclops?

Oh, I forgot about that...I guess that's true.

Cloud Strife
13th December 2004, 3:01 AM
*sigh* Why the hell would Haruka lose in every Contest she entered? And ONCE AGAIN, the games stats have NO INFLUENCE on the anime. Did you not notice Dusclops wasn't the beefy tank it is in the games?

You guys keep forgetting that in Contest battles, beating the crap out of the opponent is NOT the only way to win. You have to use style while using the right attacks. Skitty used stylish, yet strategic attacks to counter Dusclops' attacks. Dusclops attacks simply just required it to stand perfectly still and just fire off its attacks. Notice how its Hyper Beams and Focus Punches didn't drain much in points from Haruka. Plus she even countered a Focus Punch by having Skitty smack it with its tail.

Get over it, guys. This isn't the games where you can throw your statistics into it. We've seen a small Pokémon trash a much larger one PLENTY of times. I simply cannot understand how in the world an episode like this is so much worse than some others to you guys. e_e

Thank you for not answering one single thing in my post while "replying" to it, that is real helpful. Yeah, Pikachu has crushed bigger opponents before, as have ones attacking TR, but that was it before this. This episode was sickenly cheap and terrible. And until you give me a contradiction to one of my reasons, I will assume you secretly agree with me :D.

The Big Al
13th December 2004, 3:13 AM
Restaint used by Pokemon in contests has given as a reason. Yet I saw no restiant in Dusclops vs. Roselia or Dusclops vs. Dustox. Yet Timmy decides to take it easy on May? What logic are you people using.

I'm surprised how many people agreed with me this time.

Indigo
13th December 2004, 3:34 AM
I'm surprised how many people agreed with me this time.

So am I. :p

But it's a nice change, no?

Chris
13th December 2004, 3:47 AM
Thank you for not answering one single thing in my post while "replying" to it, that is real helpful. Yeah, Pikachu has crushed bigger opponents before, as have ones attacking TR, but that was it before this. This episode was sickenly cheap and terrible. And until you give me a contradiction to one of my reasons, I will assume you secretly agree with me :D.
Look at your post again. Not one sentence there had any questions. So there wasn't any answering needed. You were using game statistics to try to back up your claims. I replied with the statement that GAME STATISTICS DO NOT APPLY TO THE ANIME WORLD. I don't care if you compare leveled Pokémon in the games to the anime. There are no levels in the anime. Dusclops was not the overpowered tank in the anime like it is in the games. Your logic was disproven.

And you also proved that there HAS been smaller Pokémon beating larger ones. You were making it sound like this was something shocking and unbelievable, as if it were something that's never happened before.

As for Blizzard, c'mon. No on knew Skitty's Blizzard would fail after it used it consider it didn't use it again in the episode it learned it. No one was able to predict that it hadn't mastered how to use Blizzard.

And yes, Focus Punch got less of an appeal from a long range, especially since it wasn't exactly stylish and it's been outdone by Skitty using its tail to deflect it and using String Shot to disintergrate it.

Kimimaro did not hold back on Haruka. As we see later on, Shuu isn't exactly a top-notch Coordinator that you all assume he is. He's not exactly perfect. Haruka used a Pokémon that no one's fought against that belonged to her. Plus who's to say a newly gained Pokémon is automatically weak? That sure wasn't the case for Treecko or Taillow. Skitty made better appeals than Duslops and used a better strategy. Kimimaro got too caught up in the battle and used straight out power to try to win, unlike when he did before.

Tamer Zack
13th December 2004, 9:23 AM
Timmy is ugly he should of kept his mask on at all time. Pretty much the only good thing in this episode was Dustox and Jessie appeal as for the TC just bad they should of said which 1 of these pokemon is a Hoenn Ice Type.

Pokemon Fan
13th December 2004, 5:00 PM
I think some people's comments and disappointements should be seen from the perspective that many have higher expectations for a Contest episode than a normal episode, and also that many were more let down by this episode because they liked the first part of the two parter so much.

The note about Focus Punch being ranged this time and thus not doing as much damage is a good one, especially since Focus Punch in general in the anime is quite a bit less powerful than in the games (since in the anime it works regardless of being hit or not at the end of the turn).

The problem with the super Skitty theory is that aside from this episode I don't recall Skitty ever doing anything to indicate it was a whole lot stronger than most Skitty with its experience level (having read spoilers for most episodes after this included), nor has anyone remarked on it being unusually powerful. It's certainly not Pikachu-level "special."

Anyway, I say unless there are new points to add we should all nurse our wounds, wait for the next episode and agree to disagree. No one's saying the episode had no good points after all, more that some were more bothered than others by certain aspects of it. Perhaps Drew's final remark settles things best. ^_^

Drew: "Well, just goes to show luck plays a part in any battle."

wobbanut
13th December 2004, 8:00 PM
I really, truly, enjoyed this episode. Seeing Jessie do so well without cheating, even if she didn't make it past round two, was superb. Hey, she even outscored the phantom! :D This episode had me eagerly awaiting the episode where she uses James's Chimecho in a contest (if you've seen the guide or pictures, you'll know why). This was definitely one of her best episodes. It was also great seeing May battle a tough opponent and win, even after a rough start.

Jo-Jo
13th December 2004, 9:08 PM
I haven't seen the episode yet, so will stay out of the whole debate, but I do have a quick question to ask - did May ever find out that Drew had come to watch the tournament, or did he slip off before she could see him? Just curious.

V Faction
13th December 2004, 10:18 PM
The problem with the super Skitty theory is that aside from this episode I don't recall Skitty ever doing anything to indicate it was a whole lot stronger than most Skitty with its experience level (having read spoilers for most episodes after this included), nor has anyone remarked on it being unusually powerful. It's certainly not Pikachu-level "special."

Maybe not directly stated in the Anime, but indirectly we've seen it definitely above average. It beat Ampharos (but honestly it looked poorly trained) and it caught on using Blizzard fairly quick, all at a remarkably low level. True though, after these series of events, we don't see much of Skitty any more, at least not to the level as we've been witnessing it now.

Cloud Strife
14th December 2004, 1:59 AM
1 vs 4
2 vs 3

You could have said something about one of these, since the seeding and screwing up Ali's famous quote were the things that really ruined it for me.

And I only used the Lv as an example to say a much weaker Dusclops than a Skitty will still KO a Skitty quite easy with 2 HB's and a Focus Punch, I am well aware of the anime does not equal game for levels.

Chris
14th December 2004, 2:06 AM
But that's the thing. It shouldn't matter if Focus Punch can KO a Skitty or not. Skitty and Delcatty have HORRIBLE defenses in the games. Game stats don't play much of a role in the anime. The anime's gone around this several times.

The Big Al
14th December 2004, 2:34 AM
But that's the thing. It shouldn't matter if Focus Punch can KO a Skitty or not. Skitty and Delcatty have HORRIBLE defenses in the games. Game stats don't play much of a role in the anime. The anime's gone around this several times.

It shouldn't, at least not to this degree.

Cloud Strife
14th December 2004, 6:21 AM

Not that much, Pikachu gets knocked out by big attacks, Gyarados and others are hard to take down, Dragonite is like a god. They keep it somewhat in like with the game. Not like they have Caterpie's who can beat anything or something like that.

Chris
14th December 2004, 6:52 AM
Not like they have Caterpie's who can beat anything or something like that.
Someone sure forgot that a newly captured Caterpie was able to defeat TWO trained Poison Pokémon with String Shot and Tackle yet had a hard time against a Flying-type. ¬¬

Cloud Strife
14th December 2004, 7:07 AM
Someone sure forgot that a newly captured Caterpie was able to defeat TWO trained Poison Pokémon with String Shot and Tackle yet had a hard time against a Flying-type. ¬¬

TR have been beat by everything except Magikrap, so that does not count. Exactly, it could not beat Pidgeotto, I am not sure what you got confused there, but you did

Chris
14th December 2004, 9:40 AM
Doesn't count? This was BEFORE the Rocket Gang became bumbling idiots who ALWAYS lose. Caterpie had not been trained yet, yet it beat two Poison-types (when Bug was weak to Poison at the time) that were trained well enough to beat Pidgeotto yet lost to Caterpie who had a hard time against Pidgeotto.

The point is that that event was the first time something so small pummeled Pokémon bigger and stronger than it and that Skitty against Dusclops shouldn't be some shocker that you're all making it out to be.

The Big Al
14th December 2004, 12:07 PM
String Shot had covered their bodies so that they couldn't defend themselves. Then Caterpie began running to build up speed and Tackled under them to sent them flying. He didn't knock them out but they couldn't baattle because they were covered in String Shot. Also, Caterpie was weriously worn out after the battle.

Gravy
14th December 2004, 1:19 PM
String Shot had covered their bodies so that they couldn't defend themselves. Then Caterpie began running to build up speed and Tackled under them to sent them flying. He didn't knock them out but they couldn't baattle because they were covered in String Shot. Also, Caterpie was weriously worn out after the battle.
Well, of course, thats strategy for you. It was pretty weak when sent into battle, so it had to rely on some quick thinking to get it through, and it worked wonders.
After having Koffing impact its craium at that speed, I'm willing to bet that at least Ekans was Ko'd in that (awesome, awesome, AWESOME) battle. And of course, it most likely worked vice versa for Koffing~
Caterpie was seriously worn out before battle too. Fleeing for its very life and being headbutted by a Pidgeotto diving at full speed before impacting a tree with its head can't have done much for it~
*ahem* I needed to reply to a Caterpie-based comment as all...

As for the Contest match itself, I personally think it wasn't as good as it could have been.
I expected Skitty to feeze the Hyber Beams using its newly aqquired Blizzard, then slide along the bridge formed by the frozen beam attack, whilst launching a volley of Embers and Silver Winds via its Assist. If something like that would have happened, it would have been a whole lot better~ Even with the limited attacks Skitty has at this time, there was SO much the writers could've done with them. Shame really, but whats done is done I suppose. All the contest episodes after this are a lot better anyways~
As for Skitty's appeal in the first round. Well, I suppose juggling demonstrates coordination of the hand-eye kind or something, and thats what was so impressive about it? *shrugs* They could've had Skitty freeze the juggling balls to make it look prettier rather than just have it juggle x.x

~*Aurora Wish*~
17th December 2004, 5:53 AM
I didn't like that flashback of Timmy's mom crying because the butler took away her Poocheyena. But the contest was great!

Akane
18th December 2004, 7:51 PM
I thought this epsiode was great also. ^^ May did a great job at the end. At first she was losing, but she came back at top. Also I liked when it shows a flashback when Mrs. Grim was a kid. She got her Poocheyena taking away. I said to myself "That is why she didn't like Pokemon." I was wondering that. That was nice. But anyway May won another ribbon. So great.

Pokemon Fan
19th December 2004, 10:56 PM
I think a basic consensus here would be simply that the battle could have been MUCH better than it was. I don't think that many here would object to Skitty winning if it had done so in a bit more of a believable way, anime wise.

Take the Caterpie incident. For one thing it caught Ekans and Koffing completely off guard as they weren't expecting it to even defend itself. Secondly they didn't launch Poison attacks at it, just rushed at it madly. Thirdly, Caterpie took no more damage after its battle with Pidgeoto, it's likely it would have been beaten had a hit landed on it. Finally, they made it semi-clear Ash's Caterpie wasn't ordinary, the pokedex stating it was evolving more quickly than any Caterpie ever recorded before.

P.S. Though many seem to be neglecting my former point that Skitty was not hit directly by the Hyper Beams, they appeared to only graze it. Not to mention the Hyper Beams were quite small and weak looking.

ShinyEspeon
4th January 2005, 1:28 PM
It was a really good episode
=3

Shiny May
6th January 2005, 11:12 AM
a nice ep. the skitty vs dusclops contest battle was good imo. It was sad to see that May's score was kinda low (24. something or something like that!) Sad how she looked but I liked the expression on her face when she heard she was going to be in the finals.

Super Gullwing
8th January 2005, 2:53 AM
Truley one of my favorite eppisodes:)

NAUH! I Bet Noboby Knows why! XDD!

Chris
15th January 2005, 4:18 PM
Finally saw the episode in English. God, 4Kids must love finding things they need to edit in an episode that doesn't require edits. They changed the Pokéball on Kimimaro's pen into a red ball with white stripes..FOR NO REASON! XD

Super Gullwing
16th January 2005, 3:33 AM
I love that eppie <3

Kanta-chan
16th January 2005, 10:47 PM
Yesh, I saw the beginning and was really upset about Drew's Roselia.... But it was funny how Ash asked about it in a mocky voice. =P

Saw this epie.... Yesterday maybe? Or was it Friday? *shrugs* Meh, horrible memory, but this episode made me feel really sorry for Timmy. =\ I know how he feels. *nod nod* My mom locks me in my room to make me study too.... *sigh*

I'm just wondering why would his mother even take away Poekmon from her son? I mean, if her childhood was bad, wouldn't she make Timmy's childhood better than her own? O_o;;

Pokemon Fan
21st January 2005, 1:28 AM
I'm just wondering why would his mother even take away Poekmon from her son? I mean, if her childhood was bad, wouldn't she make Timmy's childhood better than her own? O_o;;
*enters psychologist mode* Like some people with bad childhoods she believed what they experienced was the norm, or even what was supposed to happen. She thought all children were destiend to be heartbroken by losing their Pokemon, so why allow them to interact at all?

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
21st January 2005, 1:36 AM
Truley one of my favorite eppisodes:)

NAUH! I Bet Noboby Knows why! XDD!
I sure don't know why. I loathed this episode. It was truly a failure to all that is animé. How can you possibly like this atrocious excuse for an episode(that's not rhetorical, I really wanna hear how)?

SC~ out

PlayAtari2600
26th January 2005, 8:39 PM
It was a pretty good episode, and I liked the fact that it was a continuing storyline. This season is giving us more of them, and that's a big plus. But overall, it was a good episode. And without a doubt it was one of the most viewed episodes in a long time, given the number of people writing reviews alone for this episode.

Super Gullwing
26th January 2005, 9:07 PM
I sure don't know why. I loathed this episode. It was truly a failure to all that is animé. How can you possibly like this atrocious excuse for an episode(that's not rhetorical, I really wanna hear how)?

SC~ out
What do you mean? Whats wrong with this eppie?

The Big Al
26th January 2005, 11:27 PM
May's uber cheap win for one. It was badly written and I lst all respect I had for May as a Character during the Fallarbor contest.

Mrs. Grim still sounds like my grandmother. Mu grandmother (God rest her soul) actually wanted my Mom to get rich or marry a rich guy to leach off of. Then my mom married an auto worker and threw that out he window.

I'm glad she did. (Being here and all because of it.)

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
25th March 2005, 11:39 AM
i love this episode

but the poor poochyena!!!!! it cried but no one cares about tht fat **** of a mutter

but dusclops is powerful!

MaskedManAbsolkid
25th March 2005, 11:46 AM
The Poochyena bit was so upsetting! I liked this episode because the contest episodes rock! (Weird thing is, my two cats were watching Skitty battling)

25th March 2005, 12:10 PM
maybe skitty gave your cats an idea Absolkid

my baby brother looooves pokemon we sit down and watch it everytime!!!

MaskedManAbsolkid
25th March 2005, 12:14 PM
maybe skitty gave your cats an idea Absolkid

No, they're not gonna doubleslap me :p They were watching Skitty every time it appeared on the TV.

Anyway, Jessie's choice of how to do an appeal was great (poison sting +something + Psybeam)

25th March 2005, 12:16 PM
the something was whirl wind!

or maybe there going to doubleslap eachother

MaskedManAbsolkid
25th March 2005, 12:28 PM
Lol! Oh yeah, I remember now, Whirlwind!
I can't remember the Phantom's real name! What was it?

Torkoal Stu
25th March 2005, 2:29 PM
The Poochena made my cry to but The battle was so cool!

Dustox:Best Contest Ever! Did you see those combos? Did Jessie cheat?

Skitty:Not so good! May is so thick! I was like use Assist all of the battle well I WAS when she was losing!

Dusclops:Great! Great! Cool! Great! He was so cool but his attacks seemed too powerful.

I loved it when James kept saying Jessie and Meowth kept saying stuff like your gonna blow our cover! But the last Blizzard was so predicable!

But 9/10! We didn't get too see May other battles why?

Factory Head Noland
25th March 2005, 3:36 PM
I really liked May's appeal, it was a good but I can't believe that Blizzard kept on failing. The battle between Timmy and Jessie was so cool, the music was great!
May VS Timmy was quite good but the music was just normal background music, not the kind of music you use for an exciting battle! Exciting music and it would have been great.

Mysty
30th March 2005, 1:55 AM
I like this episode. It's spoofing one of my favorite things of all: Phantom of the Opera. I could have done with a dropped chandelier, but otherwise it was freaking cool. This was the first time I 've watched the show in a few years too.

Also, a better dub name for "timmy" would have been Erik. The phantom's actual name.

Timmy: YOU WILL CURSE THE DAY YOU DID NOT DO, ALL THAT THE PHANTOM ASKED OF YOU!!!!!!!

vulpix
31st March 2005, 8:32 PM
May wins her second ribben and thats all i have to say.

zim
26th May 2005, 7:01 PM
Its was bad May used the same attack many times:(

WindyNight
28th May 2005, 5:08 AM
That was also one of my favourite episodes...It was pretty good. Although May truely relied on LUCK in the final battle with Timmy.
Overall, I give a rating - 8/10 for the episode...^^

Geki
16th August 2005, 2:40 AM
I didn't like the contest much at all, it was pretty dull. May got annoying with Assist, it was overused. Dusclops was pretty cool, I wish Timmy could have won.

4/10

Champion Jared 14
2nd September 2005, 8:54 PM
This was a terrible episode in my opinion. The strangest thing to me was that although Dusclops has weak attack power, Skitty should have been down for the count after that 1st hyper beam. Come on. After a powerful focus punch hitting its mark, that alone shuld have taken it out,especially due to its weakness to fighting moves. And still survives after 2 hyper beams and a willow-wisp? Timmy should've won this match instead.

Shigeru
19th February 2006, 4:41 AM
I particularly remember this episode as the only one of May's contest that did not fall prey to my personal jinx (for some reason, I am unable to watch May's contests fully). Quite an impressive contest, and it had a ghost in it! (hee, hee). In response to Champion Jared 14, yeah, it is a little unrealistic in game terms, but you have to consider that real life is different from video gaming (eg. real life has no levels like RPGs do).

ShinyManafi
27th January 2007, 7:46 AM
A really good episode, one of the better ones IMO. Dusclops appearance was great!

Battra
4th June 2007, 10:18 PM
Some excellent battles in this episode, May and Timmy did quite well and congrats to May for wining her 2nd ribbon she deserves it, As for Jessie she has the potential to become a good coordinator if she wasn't so stuck up and would quit Team Rocket to work honestly.

uber gon
5th February 2008, 4:03 AM
I thought May's appeal and final battle made A LOT of sense.

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:27 AM
The battle was weird. How can Skitty beat a Dusclops? Meh oh well. Nice character development here.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 11:46 AM
this qwas one of the better episodes if you ask me, i liked it.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 5:09 PM
It was a good episode, Dusclops was really cool

Ash-kid
8th December 2009, 5:41 PM
This contest wasn't so good, i didn't like it.
Dusclops was pretty weak vs Skitty, it wasn't impressive as i thought before....

Lorde
30th December 2009, 1:06 AM
Dusclops appearing in a sunny town like Verdenturf was not what I would've liked. Maybe if it had debuted somewhere spookier.

I didn't like the way Timmy handled his Dusclops or the Contest. Dusclope seemed really poorly trained since even a weak little Skitty beat it.

Not my favorite Contest but it gets a 5/10

saar
6th July 2010, 1:44 PM
Dusclops VS Skitty was a good battle. May had a hard time, but Skitty and May have managed to win as usuall. A move of Skitty during thr battle has been deleted from the English version, I think.

KGB13
2nd August 2010, 7:37 PM
Good episode.

I liked Dusclops and his trainer (forgot his name), his outfit and mask were really cool. I also like that his dad was helping him out with his dream, that was nice.

Dusclop vs Skitty was also a good battle, I was surprised Skitty pulled the win.

I enjoyed this one.

G50
3rd March 2011, 6:09 AM
This episode was good. The Dusclops vs Skitty battle was really cool. I'm glad May and Skitty won their 2nd contest ribbon. Jessie finally got passed the 1st round of the contest, and without cheating. It was interesting how Skitty was able to endure all of those powerful attacks and still pull off the win. I'm glad Mrs. Grim finally changed her ways when it came to Timmy and Pokemon.

73/100

Vernikova
4th July 2012, 8:21 PM
That final contest battle. That was bad. Ignoring its existence, this episode was pretty bad. Due to the battle.

7threst
29th September 2012, 3:14 PM
This battle was alright in some ways. I was also quite shocked in how powerful Skitty was against Dusclops, but even so, I did enjoy the battle aside from that. My perception of Skitty was that it was probably the weakest Pokémon May ever had, but that changed in some ways after that.

Brownie
15th March 2013, 8:50 PM
Disguise Da Limit

…May did not deserve this ribbon. At all. This episode picks up from where Disaster of Disguise left off, with Timmy’s backstory having been established. We get to the appeals…and it is a mess. While Timmy’s appeal was impressive, May’s was just a messed up Blizzard and juggling balls with her tail. How much worse were the other appeals to the point where she was able to make it? But that’s not even the worst of it. We then get to the battle of May’s Skitty vs Timmy’s Dusclops, where Skitty’s defenses increased to 999. To keep it short, Skitty miraculously manages to withstand many powerful attacks from Dusclops, and somehow wins, because Arceus really hates Timmy (who really deserved to win). The whole plotline was setting up for Timmy to win, with even his mother now supporting him when she didn’t before, his dad lying to help him achieve his dream, etc., and they just hand it to May, who could get ANOTHER ribbon ANYWHERE ELSE.

I actually LIKED Timmy, shame he got screwed over, though.

AquaMilotic
29th November 2013, 1:50 AM
Hmm... This is one of the more interestinc contest plots in my opinion. Like I said when reviewing the previous episode, I like how Timmy has the backstory with his parents, and how strong Timmy still manages to be. And of course Jessie participates too, always funny. A grade? 7/10.

PokemontrainerY
6th December 2013, 5:18 PM
"Disguise Da Limit"? Seriously? Man, what a lame title. I think this episode's dub title is one of the worst dub titles ever created.

Anyways, after the 'Disguise Disaster' with Timmy in the last episode, the Verdentur Pokémon Contest finally begins! Everyone performs their contest appeals....and none of the appeals were good, except Timmy's. It's hard to belive that May made it to the second round with that boring appeal with her Skitty's messed-up Blizzard and juggling balls with her tail by using Doubleslap. Then there was the battle between May's Skitty and Timmy's Duscolps, where Skitty magically gets a huge defence boost. Then May's Skitty gets hit by many strong attacks like Focus Punch, Hyper Beam, Will-O-Wisp from Dusclops. After that many powerful attack Skitty sholud've fainted. . .but NO, it Still Manages to stand!! On top of that, Skitty defeats Dusclops by using Assist over and over! Whoa, even with Timmy's mother supporting him (which she didn’t do before), his dad lying to help him enter the Pokémon Contest. . .Timmy lost! Honestly, I think this time Timmy deserved that Ribbon, not May. Geez, what a bad climax for such a good character and story.

Overall, this episode is one of my least favorite episodes from the Hoenn saga. I didn't enjoy watching it.

Painkiller2001
4th November 2014, 5:04 AM
>most of this thread
Wow, what does it take to impress people around here... -_-

Anyway, I thought this was a god contest battle.
Glad May got her second ribbon. :)