PDA

View Full Version : True Blue Swablu! (340)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:37 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/340.jpgTrue Blue Swablu!

After a terrible storm, May finds an injured Swablu. She decides to nurse it back to health...however it cannot fly so May decides to teach it to. Will she succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/340.shtml)

Discuss

Shiny May
26th October 2004, 9:54 AM
also a nice episode. It was good to see the way May was involved with this Swablu and took care of it. A touching episode.
And I thought she was going to catch Swablu but she didn't. I could say that was a disappointment

Space Skitty
2nd November 2004, 12:53 AM
Yeah, it was a shame May didn't keep Swablu. May did so much for it... Truly a great episode! It shows how caring May is.

frednmethod
13th December 2004, 3:34 PM
The episode was very touching and we got to know about May's kind and caring spirit, hence the japanese title, 'Spirit of May'.

I wonder what the May-haters can criticize about May in this episode.
But then again... they always seem to find something to criticize about her.

Chatsy
13th December 2004, 4:35 PM
They can probably criticize about her for not catching Swablu.
Probably along the lines "OMG SHE S SO STOOPID!! SEH DIDNT CATCH SWABLUE, SEH S A CRP TRAINAR!!!11"
XD

Nah, I loved this episode. May finally showed her dedication to Pokémon, which is a huge change from the start, where she didn't even care for Pokémon much. The fact that she bonded so greatly with a Pokémon she didn't even own, is so lovely.
And I loved the scene where Ash and Pikachu made a demonstration about how to fly XD
"Fly Ash, Fly!"

Chris
13th December 2004, 7:40 PM
I too loved the scene where Satoshi and Pikachu tried teaching Swablu to fly. But then again..Ready Go! is playing in the background, so it makes any scene enjoyable. XD

I also loved Torchic's method of waking everyone up when Swablu used Sing earlier. XDD

Eileen
2nd January 2005, 11:17 PM
I saw this episode earlier and it was touching.... except May didn't catch Swablu at the end. ~_~

Gryphon Turboclaw
3rd January 2005, 4:20 AM
I just hope that this great---going by what I read in the guide---ep doesn't get sabotaged by a poor dub.

Suffice it to say, this is one of those eps that demonstrates resoundingly that May is much, much, more than a mere Misty replacement. Every time I think about this ep, I find myself thinking back to the Larvitar mini-arc(particularly Misty's backbiting towards Ash regarding Larvitar), and of how radically different TBS was from its Johto version with regards to how the human characters handled things.

Shiny May
4th January 2005, 1:24 PM
I just saw it and I have to say I like the background music when May is taking care of Swablu. The music is so sweet !!
Also funny how Ash and Pikachu want to show Swablu how to fly and Torchic's wake up method is cool too
The end was really sad when May did intend on catching Swablu when Swablu's family was gone and then the family appeared again! May looked so sad and Max too
Great ep 9/10

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
5th February 2005, 4:40 PM
Swablu was so adorable!!! I loved its voice, too. Poor little thing, being injured by a flaming tree. Plus, the Boss fantasy was actually good, and I saw an avatar in it(ending)^^. The music was great when May was taking care of Swablu, and the ending was pretty emotional. I almost thought the dub added May catching Swablu:D. Plus, this episode was really funny!!! Magic Powder. LOL. The Flying Game was hilarious, too. And, Torchic's wake up peck was sooooo funny!!!! ROFL at that!!

Overall rating:
9.7 out of 10!!!!
A real gem of an episode. This is probably one of the best fillers invented.

SC~ out

CyberCubed
5th February 2005, 4:41 PM
Ah, this has to be one of my favorite fillers of the season so far. This is how fillers SHOULD be written, where even though nothing changes the main storyline, there's still plenty of character development and it's worth watching.

When I first heard about this episode I really wanted May to catch Swablu, it would have been an excellent addition to her team. And the part where she was almost going to catch it at the end was like "OH NOEZ! Why did those Altaria have to show up at that exact moment!?"

Not to mention Brock was also used well in this episode, and wasn't cast aside like in the other recent episodes. Swablu's Sing had the same rhythm as Jigglypuff's. :D

The scenes where May was sleeping next to Swablu were sweet, as well as the scene where Max revealed one of her old crushes. I guess this episode was made to have May feel how it is to release a Pokemon...without actually capturing it.

Very good ep.

EmberStar the Blaziken
5th February 2005, 4:42 PM
I didn't see a point. It was just another Filler. How does this effect the series?

V Faction
5th February 2005, 4:43 PM
-The music at the beginning, when the lightning struck, could've been better. It just didn't really fit the perilous situation. Thankfully though, the Good-bye music at the end redeemed it, as it was a piece from MSB! And that's always touching music.

-My head did hurt and my throat did get soar a little in this episode. All those high-pitched voice Pokemon, augh! I truely feel sorry who has to do their voices. Be sure to gargle!

-The Ranger's voice was odd, yet creepily similar to his Nuzleaf. I wouldn't want to meet him a dark alley.

Brock: Hate to say it guys, but we are good and lost.
All: What?!!
Ash: Not again....
May: Aaauuuhh!, we're getting pretty good at being lost...
Max: So why don't we just turn around and retrace our steps?
Brock: ...then we'll be lost going backwards...

-I was surprised to see the gang get heart-broken at the mention of lunch.

-Medicine Cabinet Lombre :D

CyberCubed
5th February 2005, 4:47 PM
I didn't see a point. It was just another Filler. How does this effect the series?

It doesn't effect the series, that's why I said it's a good "filler". It's an episode with good character development with a near capture at the end, it was a lot more than "just" a filler.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
5th February 2005, 4:47 PM
If the animé consisted only of really important episodes, like evolutions, contests, Gyms, and captures, we'd be looking at roughly 40 episodes for all of Hoenn!!!! This episode was meant to showcase Swablu, and to give May some character development. Plus, it was quite well thought out, so it was enjoyable to watch. Beating around the bush stretches out the animé a while, which is good. Don't complain.

SC~ out

Tamer Zack
5th February 2005, 4:58 PM
This episode was a bit boring but it was funny seeing Ash wanted to fly with that Secret Powder.

Indigo
5th February 2005, 5:00 PM
Whoa...I was really touched by this episode. Really touched.

--Swablu was pronounced weirdly, I think. It should have been SWA-blu instead of swa-BLU. But that's the way I pronounced it, anyway. It irked me at the beginning, but then it kind of grew on me. The pronounciation sounded sort of French, so I learned to like it. =P

--Interesting voice for the ranger. But it wasn't the normal one, so I'm good. XP

--Torchic's wake-up method = HILARIOUS.

--Ash was excellent in this episode. In fact, all the characters were. They all seemed to have a significance in the storyline today: May as the heroine, Ash as the comic relief, Max as the proud little brother, and Brock as the mentor. Very nice chemistry, like I always say with these characters. But today it was just really phenomenal.

--The music choice was really great. When Swablu flew out of the smoke like that, I was thinking to myself, "Play the Advance theme, play the Advance theme..." and they did! Not only that, but the higher octave of the music where Ash is being rejuvinated by the Pokémon in Mewtwo Strikes Back when May says goodbye...that was just perfect. Nice work, 4Kids.

--We got to see Ash without his hat or jacket. WHOO! :D

And finally, this note goes out to May. She has proven to me that she is in a whole different realm than Misty, and she is a completely different person. She is not a replacement of any kind, but rather a fresh new face who is really great to see. She really proved today that she is an excellent Pokémon trainer. She was really unselfish when she said that Swablu should go with its friends. Had Ash been in that position, he would've done the same, but there's just something about May that made me think about her in a whole new light. She really can't be compared to anyone anymore. She's really her own character. I just have to say that by her caring actions in this episode, she's proven to us that she really does love Pokémon and cares about them deeply, even if they aren't hers. That's a great trait to have. And I say this freely now: because of this episode, I no longer hold anything against May. I still like Misty, but May has taken the place as my favorite female character. Congratulations May: you were awesome today.

I give this episode a huge 10/10. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me think about a character a completely different way. And May saying "I love you" at the end just clinched it for me. The only thing I regret is Ash not having gone up to her and said something about her making the right choice. That would've showed some character development for him, too, but I don't care much. This episode belonged to May, and she owned it. More power to her.

Ralts Master
5th February 2005, 5:35 PM
May should've caught Swablu... it's a very "May" kind of Pokemon...

Medea
5th February 2005, 5:42 PM
I really liked this episode. Swablu is such a cute pokemon. Such a shame that May didn't catch it.
But even more so, I kinda got bugged that Swablu's sing attack sounded an awful like Jigglypuff's attack. As I've reminded myself earlier, I remembered hearing Chansey's sing attack in the episode Ignorance is Blissey and it didn't sound like Jigglypuff's.
...I don't know maybe its just me!

squirtle_squad_leader
5th February 2005, 6:22 PM
--Swablu was pronounced weirdly, I think. It should have been SWA-blu instead of swa-BLU. But that's the way I pronounced it, anyway. It irked me at the beginning, but then it kind of grew on me. The pronounciation sounded sort of French, so I learned to like it. =P

I thought so, too.

It doesn't effect the series, that's why I said it's a good "filler". It's an episode with good character development with a near capture at the end, it was a lot more than "just" a filler.

I agree. Completely. I'm really liking Advanced Challenge, and this was it at it's filler finest.

Heracross
5th February 2005, 6:33 PM
-The music at the beginning, when the lightning struck, could've been better. It just didn't really fit the perilous situation.

Yes, in the original there was actually no music for much of the scene, and when the music finally came in, it was much more fitting. It gave it a much more ominous and tense atmosphere.

Anyway, this was definately a good filler. Of course everyone wanted May to catch Swablu, but in the end it taught her an important lesson to be able to let it go.

Team Rocket's Boss sequence was great in this episode. I like how Meowth referred to Butch and Cassidy as the boss's lazy underlings.XD Looks like Giovanni had a bit too much coffee too.:p

I wish they had kept more of the original music, especially Ready Go!, but it was a given that they would take that out.

jolteonjak
5th February 2005, 7:23 PM
Personally I thought it kinda sucked...very bored with it. Though it was nice to see Beautifly and Taillow being used.

Space Skitty
5th February 2005, 7:38 PM
I thought this was a great episode! Couldn't all fillers be so fantastic? Swablu was super cute. I loved how May handled everything in this episode, she was such a true friend to Swablu in the end. Torchic, Ash, & Pikachu were all very funny! XD Oh, and the Magic Powder cracked me up, especially when Ash wanted to use it! XDXDXD The ending was pretty sad... Overall 10/10! I only wish I could rate it higher! :D

Akane
5th February 2005, 7:38 PM
This was a great filler epsiode! I loved it! I knew that May would not have a Swablu. It was right for her to let it go to its friends and family. She took great care of it. ^^ Ash was really funny in this one. There is a qoute(it is not exact, but close)

Ash: Now it is our turn Pikachu!
Pikachu: Pika!
Max: Umm...Ash, "The Magic Powder" is not real. It is fake.
Ash: No way! It seems real to me when Swablu was flying!
Pikachu blushed (embarrassed) XD

That was funny. And when Ash and Pikachu was in wings. Ash called this "The Flying Game". And Meowth's dream was actually great this time. So yep this was a awesome epsiode. ^^

eppie-chan
5th February 2005, 7:42 PM
I thuoght the ep was great as well. The ending was a litle sad, reminded me of when Ash had to let his Butterfree go. I'd give it a 10 too. :)

Frost
5th February 2005, 7:52 PM
I thought this was much better than last week's episode. Like it's been said, this was a great character-driven episode that gave a lot of character development to May and showed off why these four characters have the best chemistry of any of the various group formations throughout the series. Everybody had a role in this episode, unlike earlier days were Brock and Misty would just stand around doing nothing.

There were some great comedy spots (Torchic, Ash being stupid, Butch and Cassidy bowing to Giovanni's feet in the Fantasy of the Day, etc.), nice touches of drama with May staying up at night and the ending sequence. If I didn't read spoilers I would have figured that May would catch Swablu in this episode and I was really surprised when the show faked us out. Even the music was pretty good.

I was kind of thrown off by the characters pronouncing Swablu as "Swa-BLUE," especially when Ash said it in the episode's title, but I guess the emphasis could go toward either syllable of the name... very typical birdie-Pokemon voice, but it was still cute.

I'd give the episode around an 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Revolutionary Destiny
5th February 2005, 8:07 PM
This is one of the best filler episodes I have ever seen. Comedy (mainly coming from Ash being his dense self again but with Max and his line about May having a crush on someone from school) but plenty of character development with May. It's really amazing seeing as how in the beginning of Hoenn, she could care less about getting a pokemon. And amazingly, Brock wasn't cast off to the side, was semi-important (helping May taking care of Swablu), and acted mature (most likely because there were no girls he could flirt with. The writers need to do this more often!). This episode deserves a 10/10.

Heracross
5th February 2005, 8:13 PM
Yeah, I forgot that Brock actually did something useful in this episode. Definately a plus since he hardly has an important role anymore aside from cooking.=/

Chris
5th February 2005, 8:23 PM
No Ready Go!? Wow. That totally kills the mood of trying to teach Chiruto how to fly. :\

Heracross
5th February 2005, 8:32 PM
Yeah, and the music they did have at that point in the dub was pretty boring. I didn't really expect them to keep Ready Go! though since they took it out of the last contest episode.=/ Probably objected to the Japanese lyrics.

AJW73
5th February 2005, 9:58 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but I didn't like the way Max was blubbering at the end. They may have well just added some snot running out of his nose. In fact, I don't think anyone has snotted on Pokemon yet.

Heracross
5th February 2005, 11:21 PM
Give him a break, he's only eight.:P Smaller children are generally more emotional.

Pokemon Fan
6th February 2005, 12:27 AM
Give him a break, he's only eight.:P Smaller children are generally more emotional.
It could have even been related to him remembering how he had to let Jirachi go. Either way, it's a realistic portrayal to show Max as having less control over his emotions than the older kids. Despite his intelligence he isn't as mature. He'll demonstrate this quality several more times in the future I hear.

<><><>

Otherwise my thoughts are the same as most here. I loved that Taillow and Beautifly got in on the action, and Swablu was truly adorable. And I haven't seen Ash this goofy funny in a long time. At the same time he showed his growing maturity and wisdom, by remarking how any great breeder has to make good-tasting medicine. Usually it would be Brock to say something like that. Pikachu also had more personality in this episode than it has for a while.

But what I want to know is what Max was about to say May did. Did the nature of his final garbled sylables give any hint to it? It went something like this:

Max: "Once my sister puts her mind to something there's no stopping her. Once she had a crush on this boy and she act- *hand clamped on mouth*
May: "I was such a child back then!" *laughs nervously*

The dialogue was really quite good on all sides in this episode, especially Ash and Pikachu's scenes during the flight training and "magic powder." The ranger's last remark was rather deep:

Ranger: "Now that's what I call conflicted." *as he watches TR blast off after they yelled something that seemed to conflict with a previous belief statement*

Assuming I heard everything right. ^_^

Robert
6th February 2005, 12:49 AM
This episode was okay. We've seen the "Try to teach a Pokemon to do something through strange methods" thing like two hundred fifty-five times now... So it was pretty boring most of the episode.

But,I loved the ending... I thought May was about to keep Swablu... Even though we've also seen the "Saying good-bye to a friend that flies off into the sunset" routine two hundred fifty-five times, I still find myself finding off a tear. Also, the music when May was caring for Swablu was pretty. It was funny when Max brought up May's past crush. :) Not the best episode ever, but far from bad.

Silver Ryu
6th February 2005, 1:07 AM
The fantasy of the day was one of the only ones that actually made me laugh. (The part with Butch and Cassidy groveling at Giovonni's feet, and the part where he was leading a bunch of Rockets.) Swablu was cute!

PDL
6th February 2005, 1:58 AM
pretty good episode... these types of episodes need to appear more often though :D

V Faction
6th February 2005, 3:21 AM
Yeah, and the music they did have at that point in the dub was pretty boring. I didn't really expect them to keep Ready Go! though since they took it out of the last contest episode.=/ Probably objected to the Japanese lyrics.
Ah, I look forward to next weeks objective music input. No, I do. Seriously. Really!

The Big Al
6th February 2005, 3:26 AM
They dug through the recycle for this one. Every cliche was used. At least we get to see some growth in May. However, I do believe that Swablu would have gone with her. Seriously unlikely but it would be interesting for them to meat again in the future (like Ash did withy Lapras).

Wow, I made a post about May without insulting her.

Heracross
6th February 2005, 3:32 AM
Ah, I look forward to next weeks objective music input. No, I do. Seriously. Really!
Eh? I really can't tell if you're being serious or not. ^^;

Puffs
6th February 2005, 4:41 AM
yes, they should've had a flashback to Max & Jirachi at the end. Character development:
May: Caring
Torchic: Impulsive
Ash: Dimwitted

There are only two points the movies were ever connected to the anime. 1, in Kanto when Mewtwo beat Gary then burst out of the gym. 2, when Ash recalled seeing Lugia in the Orange Islands.

cornstarch
6th February 2005, 5:00 AM
No Ready Go!? Wow. That totally kills the mood of trying to teach Chiruto how to fly. :\

Why must you use Japanese names?

cold_katanagirl
6th February 2005, 5:03 AM
...Isn't it kinda obvious who's name it is? -_-

Uh, anyway. I didn't catch the "emotional" ending because I wanted to play Tales of Symphonia. About to beat it and all...

But, it was pretty good I guess. I wasn't incredibly impressed or anything... Nice character devolpment though.

So I'll give this... an 8.9/10. Just because Team Rocket annoyed me... A lot for some reason.

meggirl63
6th February 2005, 6:13 AM
The fantasy of the day was one of the only ones that actually made me laugh. (The part with Butch and Cassidy groveling at Giovonni's feet, and the part where he was leading a bunch of Rockets.) Swablu was cute!

Yeah, that made me laugh! Oh, I liked the part where Max mentioned that May had a crush on a boy at school.

Chris
6th February 2005, 10:04 AM
yes, they should've had a flashback to Max & Jirachi at the end. Character development:
May: Caring
Torchic: Impulsive
Ash: Dimwitted

There are only two points the movies were ever connected to the anime. 1, in Kanto when Mewtwo beat Gary then burst out of the gym. 2, when Ash recalled seeing Lugia in the Orange Islands.
False. The TV SERIES connected to the first movie. That was all. There were no other connections considering nearly all anime movies take place in a different storyline from their TV series'.

Alfonso
6th February 2005, 1:07 PM

Because he does. -_- He's taken the time to get to know all/most of the Japanese Pokemon and Pokemon Human Character names and also feels more comfortable using them.

There's a thread in the Pokemon Anime forum called 'English/Japanese Reference Thread' with a list of all Pokemon's Japanese names. Feel free to take a look if you find your poor little head exploding with all the geeky and weird Japanese name usage. That's all you really can do, because several people have already moaned their heads off to Ed, with no results. Yay! I might start using the Japanese names myself.

V Faction
6th February 2005, 4:22 PM
Yay! I might start using the Japanese names myself.
Yeah, me too!

..Well okay, not really.

Eh? I really can't tell if you're being serious or not. ^^;
About Half and Half. I don't like the fact that you look at what they don't have rather than what they use, but a little ball of curiousity in the back of mind my can't help but wonder what was different each new episode, and that's what I need you for.

Of course, comments...

...like Ed's right now, I'm not too fond of either.

Geodude
6th February 2005, 7:17 PM
I thought the little interaction between Pikachu and Torchic when they first heard Swablu's cries was cute. You could almost hear the conversation:

Torchic: "Did you hear that too?"
Pikachu: "Yeah, you wanna come with me and check it out?"
Torchic: "Okay!"

Geki
6th February 2005, 8:44 PM
This wasn't so bad of an episode either. I really wish May kept that Swablu since it would of been so great for her. Is it me or is much like Bye Bye Butterfree? I mean, May helps Swablu fly, Ash helps Butterfree find a Mate. Swablu learns to fly and goes back with it's flock, Butterfree finds a mate and leaves to go breed. They both cry in the end to while they let them go.

Puffs
6th February 2005, 9:01 PM
didn't Ash, Misty & Brock recall seeing Lugia in the Orange Island in the Whirl Cup Lugia episodes?

Chris
6th February 2005, 9:04 PM
Of course, comments...

...like Ed's right now, I'm not too fond of either.
Sorry, but it's actually the truth. The song was meant to give the viewers a sense of cheerfulness and hope for Chiruto to fly. Considering the message that Ready Go! has, it makes it more enjoyable. I'll rip a clip of that and stick it into my topic just for reference. :P

V Faction
6th February 2005, 9:57 PM
Sorry, but it's actually the truth. The song was meant to give the viewers a sense of cheerfulness and hope for Chiruto to fly. Considering the message that Ready Go! has, it makes it more enjoyable. I'll rip a clip of that and stick it into my topic just for reference. :P
I guess I'll have to bite my tongue for now. They had good music at other times, so does that change your thought?

Heracross
6th February 2005, 11:59 PM
About Half and Half. I don't like the fact that you look at what they don't have rather than what they use, but a little ball of curiousity in the back of mind my can't help but wonder what was different each new episode, and that's what I need you for.
Heh, guess I'll have to work on that a bit. I am glad to be of some use though, I was afraid people would be tired of my little music rants by now.XP

It just saddens me that they feel the need to change so much of it in the dub these days, although for the record this episode had pretty good music compared to a lot of dub episodes recently. For example I was really afraid they would just use some boring background music in the scene where May was taking care of Swablu, but I thought the piece they chose to use instead was nice. Same thing goes for the piece from the first movie they used at the end, although I wish they had continued playing it instead of cutting to that other thing.

Eh, there I go again.>_>; Can't even reply to something without analyzing the music.XD

V Faction
7th February 2005, 12:47 AM
Well then, perhaps we can make it more constructive. Next time we view an Episode, gives us a rundown of all the music that was kept, so we can go "Ah, songs and tunes from the land of the rising sun."

Shouldn't be too difficult, seeing as apparently the original music is few and far between. ^_^

Chris
7th February 2005, 1:02 AM
Seeing as how I haven't seen the dub, I'm not giving any other opinions on it and the rest of the music. :P I'll give a more thought out explanation when I catch it on Friday. Just telling my opinion on the original scenario and that it's more of a shame that they didn't use it, rather than a bashing.

Heracross
7th February 2005, 1:04 AM
Well then, perhaps we can make it more constructive. Next time we view an Episode, gives us a rundown of all the music that was kept, so we can go "Ah, songs and tunes from the land of the rising sun."

Shouldn't be too difficult, seeing as apparently the original music is few and far between. ^_^
Alright, I see what you mean now. That's no problem at all. As you said, it shouldn't be too difficult as they keep very little of the original score lately.

Alfonso
7th February 2005, 1:11 AM
Alright, I see what you mean now. That's no problem at all. As you said, it shouldn't be too difficult as they keep very little of the original score lately.

What? You mean that 4Kids were lying when they said that the Japanese version didn't use music that much? *gasp* :O

Yeah. XD 4Kids was clearly smoking pot when writing that. I'd like to know what they were thinking they changing some of the music... I'm pretty damn certain that the peeps over in Japan wouldn't be stupid enough to be the ones who put that crappy 'music' in the battle between May and The Phantom. That stuff just sucked.

Geodude
7th February 2005, 2:02 AM
Am I the only one here who's barely bothered at all by the music, and never notices the changes?

Thriller
7th February 2005, 2:32 AM
I didnt see the whole episode.

How did Torchic wake everyone up?

From what I did see I saw something I thought 4Kids refused to do. THEY KEPT JESSIES HAIR PURPLE! From all the other AG eps I've seen her hair was red.

Oh by the way, everytime I switch it to channel 33 (WPIX in Bahamas) Its frozen in Swablu's head. I couldn't watch Taxi last night :@

Pokemon Fan
7th February 2005, 2:41 AM
False. The TV SERIES connected to the first movie. That was all. There were no other connections considering nearly all anime movies take place in a different storyline from their TV series'.
How so? The storyline seems identical to me.

Do you actually know what was said by Ash and James regarding Lugia and the Orange Islands? As I recall a summary of it mentioning their lines about seeing Lugia LONG before the episodes were ever dubbed. I'm tired of people saying this was only in the dub without providing any evidence (even Dogasu hasn't as far as I know).

What do you think of the exact same type of fireworks appearing in the Millennium Festival in the sixth movie as in the episode about fire works that came shortly before the sixth movie premiered?

Never mind minor characters like Professor Ivy and Liza appearing in the movies... I understand that the movies generally don't effect the series but they certainly take place in the same storyline, just as a number of actual episodes don't effect the series and are never mentioned again. ^_^

How did Torchic wake everyone up?
With loving Peck attacks to the nose of course! ^_^

From what I did see I saw something I thought 4Kids refused to do. THEY KEPT JESSIES HAIR PURPLE! From all the other AG eps I've seen her hair was red.
Huh? I thought her hair had been purple for some time now (except in the Deoxys movie).

Frost
7th February 2005, 2:44 AM
Am I the only one here who's barely bothered at all by the music, and never notices the changes?

Seriously, I almost never even notice the background music at all unless I'm specifically listening for it, but then it's pretty easy to distinguish the dub/original scores (even without seeing the originals, which I haven't) because 4Kids always adds generic happy music. When I was watching Destiny Deoxys and Jirachi Wish Maker, though, I had to sit there and actually FIGURE OUT that there was moments of silence, and that's why they felt so different from ordinary episodes.

Heracross
7th February 2005, 3:57 AM
Well for me personally, the music makes a lot of difference in how much I enjoy an episode (or a movie for that matter). And as a result, 4Kids music changes really ruin the show. There are some episodes that I simply can't watch the dub version because the soundtrack has been so horribly mutilated (A Togepi Mirage is probably the worst instance of this). I really love the music of pokémon and it pains me to see such great stuff taken out for the dub. T_T

wobbanut
7th February 2005, 9:03 PM
This episode shot up there to one of my favorites for the season. May was really excellent in this episode, and I felt so bad that she didn't get swablu. Is that the first time a twerp asked a pokemon to come along, but it ended up not coming along? That was really different. Also, this must be the first time we heard another pokemon use sing, because I've certainly never heard anyone but Jigglypuff sound like Jigglypuff when they sing. :D That was freaky.

Also, was swablu's voice dubbed? It sounded EXACTLY like Torchic (who's obviously dubbed), but it didn't say its name. Between Torchic and Jigglypuff, that swablu was a real imitator. :D

EDIT: I forgot something else great about this episode: a classic Dumb Ash moment! It's been so long since we've had one of those. :)

Gravy
7th February 2005, 9:10 PM
Also, was swablu's voice dubbed? It sounded EXACTLY like Torchic (who's obviously dubbed), but it didn't say its name. Between Torchic and Jigglypuff, that swablu was a real imitator. :D
Yeah, it was dubbed. Which actually surprised me a little, as I heard it retains its original voice in the Wish Maker film.
I agree though, it did sound exactly like Torchic. It seems a lot of the cute little pokémon seem to have similar voice in the dub these days~

Puffs
7th February 2005, 9:12 PM
Apparantly, all pokemon who use sing, use the same song for their Sing attack. Swablu, Jigglypuff, has Lapras ever used sing in the anime?

V Faction
7th February 2005, 10:42 PM
These high-pitched squeaking Pokemon are becoming as rampant as the deep-voice ones. Man was I pleased to hear Lombre sound like a duck (sort of) in the previous episode.

Chris
7th February 2005, 10:48 PM
Lombre wasn't bad actually. Although I'm hopefull they don't use the same damn Ludicolo voice later on that they used in "Gotta Dance." x_X It is becoming common that we're hearing high-pitched voices along with deep-voiced Pokémon that sound like a 34 year old dubbed them.

And it seems 4Kids is rather inconsistant about alot of things in Hoenn. One moment they use an original voice, the next they feel they have to dub it. Such as Stantler going from keeping the original voice to it appearing in Hoenn and having some, beefy deep voice that says "Stantler!" rather than making animal noises. o_O;

Geodude
8th February 2005, 12:31 AM
What I found odd was that in the very beginning of the ep, when all the Swablu and Altaria were cringing due to the storm, it sounded like they kept their Japanese voices. A chorus of "Chii, chii, chii" can be distinctly heard. Yet when Swablu was found, it had a dubbed voice.

Chris
8th February 2005, 12:33 AM
Guess that would make Chiruto the second Pokémon to have two different voices in the same episode (Habunake being the first)?

V Faction
8th February 2005, 1:26 AM
Lombre wasn't bad actually. Although I'm hopefull they don't use the same damn Ludicolo voice later on that they used in "Gotta Dance." x_X
Ludicolo's voice is my most favorite Pokemon voice in the whole dern thing. Don't be knockin' Bea Arthur.

It is becoming common that we're hearing high-pitched voices along with deep-voiced Pokémon that sound like a 34 year old dubbed them.
Yes, I know.

And it seems 4Kids is rather inconsistant about alot of things in Hoenn.
I'd have to disagree with you there. If anything, they've been quite consistent with the voices they choose (even if they suck). Dusclops kept its Jirachi: Wish Maker voice. Zangoose, Swampert, and Kirlia all had their dubbed voices in a flash back. And during the little Pokemon World opener before Destiny Deoxys, we got to hear some REALLY old Kanto Pokemon voices, like Tentacool, Primeape, Haunter, and Golem.

Chris
8th February 2005, 1:30 AM
I'd have to disagree with you there. If anything, they've been quite consistent with the voices they choose (even if they suck). Dusclops kept its Jirachi: Wish Maker voice. Zangoose, Swampert, and Kirlia all had their dubbed voices in a flash back. And during the little Pokemon World opener before Destiny Deoxys, we got to hear some REALLY old Kanto Pokemon voices, like Tentacool, Primeape, Haunter, and Golem.
What I meant was that they're inconsistant when it comes to keeping voices. One moment they'll use the Japanese voice, then the next it'll be dubbed for no particular reason. o_o Heck, nearly all of the Johto Pokémon that had the same names or simply made noises kept their voices back in the Johto arc. But now it seems 4Kids is against that.

V Faction
8th February 2005, 1:39 AM
What I meant was that they're inconsistant when it comes to keeping voices. One moment they'll use the Japanese voice, then the next it'll be dubbed for no particular reason. o_o Heck, nearly all of the Johto Pokémon that had the same names or simply made noises kept their voices back in the Johto arc. But now it seems 4Kids is against that.
How can I cushion this then... Creative decisions? More active involvement? Pure idiocy? (I'd like to not think so...)

My two guess are:
A. If the voice tickles their tastes, it's kept. Mostly roars and weird noises and things like that. Or fitting ones (Nya~Nya). When a voice comes along that's not quite what they think is right, and there's quite a few people involved I'm sure, they replace. And that leads into the whole opinions argument.

or...

B. They use a dart board.

I'm not sure why they'd be flip-flopping though. I can't really think of a recent voice that's done that. Well, aside from Seviper and Swablu. Those seem more intentional though. There's Slugma of course, but that's a joke.

Chris
8th February 2005, 1:51 AM
According to the third movie commentary, they mentioned that they'd keep anything that had the same name or made a sound that was more like an animal would make simply because it was easier to get away with rather than having to dub it. Obviously that's not the case if they've gone and begun to dub over most of the Pokémon that appear in Hoenn. :s

V Faction
8th February 2005, 2:09 AM
According to the third movie commentary, they mentioned that they'd keep anything that had the same name or made a sound that was more like an animal would make simply because it was easier to get away with rather than having to dub it. Obviously that's not the case if they've gone and begun to dub over most of the Pokémon that appear in Hoenn. :s
Third movie? You and I both know that was some time ago. Things change. New people, positions, bosses.

EDIT: And that also still hold some truth. Solrock is the perfect example.

But then again, I'm sure you're thinking of Zangoose already... :P

Chris
8th February 2005, 3:21 AM
Yeah, it was indeed some time. But I guess it all comes down to the fact that 4Kids can't really make up their minds when it comes to voices and music. XP

Kamex
9th February 2005, 1:32 AM
Er, before I start my review, I'd like to apologize for making it three days late (I never seemed to have the time until now).

-I noticed Swablu's voice being dubbed, at least when it was singing Jigglypuff's 'Sing' tune.

-May getting to know a knew Pokemon and learning how to let go, that was nice. I guess that would count as character development.

-Magic Powder. Heh, that was interesting. And Brock called it a little white lie. Isn't he supposed to set a good example for the younger guys? Just kidding, I thought that was funny, too.

-The whole 'dumb Ash' scene, as some of you called it, was funny. Nice way to ease up the tension. Well, there wasn't really any tension, but it was still funny.

-Torchic's pecking/waking thing was also nice.

All this stuff about 4Kids changing the music into other music, or more often adding music where there wasn't any, gets me curious. Too bad I don't know where to access the original Japanese episodes. Except Japan. But I can't go there, esspecially for just that one reason.

That's it. Not a particularly exciting episode, but it was cool. Anything else I may have wanted to mention was probably already mentioned, so, I'll leave it at that.

I rate this episode 7/10.

vulpix
12th February 2005, 12:09 AM
Swablu should of stayed
with May, but all well.
It was a great episode
anyway!

Kamex
12th February 2005, 2:36 AM
I forgot to mention that I liked the Pokemon Ranger's voice. It's new, once again. Looks like 4Kids is getting more varied voices for their characters. Let's see if they do that with tomorrow's new episode.

If they have a new character, of course.

Lindsay
12th February 2005, 4:01 AM
This may have been filler but as per Hoenn's usual style it's good filler! May got to shine some more in helping that cute lil Swablu to recover and fly. She also almost got to keep it but didn't~which is okay with me. Ya could really see an feel her sadness at not getting to keep it which was cool.

Lombre's introduction to the rest of the PKMN was kinda weak but then Lombre sucks anyway. Team Idiots stupid daydream lovefest got fastfowarded past so no harm done there. Even Torchic got some action by pecking everyone to wake them up hehe!

4 / 5

Only real downside was how they pronounced Swablu. What was 4Kids thinking?

Amadeus Windfall
27th March 2005, 8:33 AM
I loved this episode... I didn't see the whole thing, but at the end, I was on the verge of tears as Swablu left. That music worked much better here than in the movie, and the way May said "I love you," really was emotional. A great episode, in my opinion.

Blazing Charmander
27th March 2005, 12:02 PM
Darn it. Stupid clocks going forward. I woke up this morning and looked at my clock which said 7:20AM. Then I remembered that the clocks had gone forward 1 hour. So unfortunately, I missed this one. I'll have to watch the rerun on Sky Mix tomorrow at 9.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
27th March 2005, 12:57 PM
i missed half of it but i taped it! thanx for sky+!

i hated this ep

went by to fastr and why didnt may catch it?

Factory Head Noland
27th March 2005, 5:20 PM
I saw this episode this morning and I actually really liked it, it was really funny like when Ash and Pikachu wanted to fly with the "magic powder", lol.
Swablu was really cute, I'm glad it got over it's fear of flying.
....Advanced Adventure was in this episode!! :D
It was so sad when Swablu had agreed to go with the gang but then all the other Swablu and Altaria came back so it went...IMO it should have gone along with May.

Overall 7.5/10

Amadeus Windfall
27th March 2005, 10:26 PM
Oh, by the way, I think what May did was right. To catch Swablu would've been a bad thing to do- it would be cruel to Swablu. So many people are saying they wished May had caught Swablu, but I bet that if she had, they'd be moaning about how mean she is.

Sharpshooter
27th March 2005, 10:28 PM
Shame, Swablu would have really suited May, but it seems most of the main characters are restricted to only one flying type these days.

Episode was good, because I like Swablu's, and particularly Altaria's as well (shame we didn't get to see more of them as well lol). Good episode involving a relationship with human and pokémon here aswell, although I think the "Rescue Ralts! Hurry Max! was probably better. I'm not sure why May cried in the end, wasn't that close to her, certainly not to the extent of Ash and Butterfree anyway, although in any case I still would have rather she kept it.

Torkoal Stu
28th March 2005, 5:50 PM
I loved this ep! I loved it when she said at the end "Love you" and the music I was almost crying. Max was funny all though this ep with the crush thing and he was crying at the end. May should of caught it but Its was a real May charecter development moment though.

10/10 This is one of my Fav eps ever.

thed3
19th July 2005, 11:12 PM
Seen a bit of this episode the other day.... Lot's of May acting sweet...tis a pity that she didn't keep the Swablu. Ahhh and I missed the scene where Ash was trying to teach Swablu how to fly... It would have been cool seeing some Beautifly and Swablu interaction.

Also I doubt anybody would be saying that it would be cruel for May to keep the Swablu... It's not as if it didn't want to stay with May.

Lil Brother
19th July 2005, 11:21 PM
This was a great ep. Anything with stupid Ash these days is great. XD

9/10

Blaziken master
26th July 2005, 4:58 PM
Was the music that was used while May is looking after swablu used in the japanese version.They should really keep most of the lyricless music pieces because it makes the episode feel fresh and exciting

Espeon Of The Mist
30th July 2005, 8:51 PM
This is one of my favorite episodes, filler or not.

- Torchic was so funny! "TOORRRR.... CHIC CHIC CHIC CHIC CHIC!" (peck peck peck..)

- I always thought May look weird with her head... thing on, and now, seeing her with it off, I t'ink she's cute.

- Ash thought it wasreal flying powder... XD

- Lost going backwards...

- On a side note, my parakeet liked it when Swablu said "BLUUU!" He chirped every time.

WindyNight
31st July 2005, 3:37 AM
That just has to be a great episode....I almost cried at the end of the episode..
It has a quite touching storyline...
And yea, I like how Torchic woke everyone up...
Overall, I give a rating 9/10 for the episode...^^

pikadon92
27th August 2005, 11:37 AM
LOL, I really can't believe that Ash & pikachu really wanted the 'magic' powder to fly. XD
But how did the ranger know that there are slablues and alterias at the pond? Coinscidence?

SugarFairy
27th August 2005, 3:39 PM
i thought this episode was funny and sad... i'm just woundering though... how would it be crul if she cought swablu Amadeus Windfall?

XyronTheFalcon
27th August 2005, 3:45 PM
Hehehe!!!I see you started to post,hey Sugarfairy?

On TOPIC:We only got to watch it tpday in Singapore!!!It was kinda stupid,I mean They all agree on having Swablu in thier group when the Altaria apper!!Although I give it 8/10 for comedy(Ash believing and wanting the speacial Beautifly magic powder!!!!)HAHAHAHA!!!!

Pokemon Fan
31st August 2005, 4:24 PM
i thought this episode was funny and sad... i'm just woundering though... how would it be crul if she cought swablu Amadeus Windfall?
I think Amadeus only meant it would have been cruel if the Altaria returned and May still sucked Swablu into a Poke Ball. No one's saying it would have been cruel for May to catch it if Swablu's family had not shown up.

Shigeru
19th February 2006, 4:30 AM
Wow! May doesn't have to rescue Ash from a haunted mansion to look good (Luigi's Mansion reference; I still think May gets as much credit as Luigi from the Mario games, which is not very much). It's seeing May's sweet personality unfold itself that makes her look a lot more beautiful. And yeah, Swablu would have made a good match with May, but heck, it would have been cruel to separate it from its family, and that's not in her character. Ash's magic powder comment had special significance for me because it reminded me of my brother and how he got tricked into thinking a Shy Guy picture was real (Good times). The only negative thing I can say is that I preferred the original Japanese title (even though it still sounds like a Super Mario 64 Star title like most of the Japanese titles). Nonetheless, this is one reason I have a crush on May, and I sure wish she got more credit in the show.

cryztalwing
20th March 2006, 11:55 PM
This is best episode every made so for. I be supress if they maid one better than this one...

alyssa
28th June 2006, 3:52 AM
i like he episode but i sad that may didnt caught swablu

ShinyManafi
30th January 2007, 12:39 AM
Wow, May was so close to that Swablu....

She might have actually taken Sawblu if the Altaria were there ;)

penngrade6
16th April 2007, 8:09 PM
It's nice to see that May has changed over the course of the series. She started off disliking Pokemon but now she's caring and nurturing them. This episode proves it. It was sweet to see May taking care of the Swablu, it show's how caring she is.

Ashy Boy
2nd May 2007, 9:01 AM
The animation made the Pokemon (especially Swablu & Torchic) look adorable.

bhrettzerda053
9th August 2008, 12:18 AM
This episode is so sad. May had to leave Swablu with the flock in the end of it.

pokefreak7653
30th October 2008, 3:36 AM
I was just wondering if anybody else noticed that mays hair was alot shorter In this episode

Tadashi
30th October 2008, 5:21 PM
I was a bit surprised when May didn't catch that Swablu. They would've done well together. Ah well, I don't mind. It was real good character development for May and really gave us a sense of how caring she can be ^_^

Shadow-saur
9th November 2008, 8:15 PM
it's really annoying when they spend the whole episode developing a bond and have to say goodbye in the end. especially when it's a cutie like swablu

milenadrg
11th November 2008, 8:14 PM
I think she now has Swablu in her team(evoloved)

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 6:41 AM
It's a shame that May didn't get to keep the Swablu. Heart warming episode.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 1:03 PM
the whole episode they developed a bond and in the end they leave each other, i wasn't expecting that.

Littlemyuu
5th March 2009, 7:01 PM
I hoped May catch the Swablu...shame she dint...

Lorde
3rd December 2009, 11:07 AM
This episode was so sad now that I look back on it. It didn't seem real in a way since it was more dramatic than previous AG episodes. I was sad that the Swablu flew away with the others at the end of the episode; I wanted May to catch it after all the time they spent together. It would've been a great addition to her team but the chance was missed. Pretty deep, 5/10.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 12:03 PM
Swablu was very poor, too bad it left...
And it was great how Ash and co help it...6/10

Willow's Tara
8th May 2010, 2:42 AM
It's a shame that she didn't catch the Swablu, it would have made an interesting addition to her team (Could have been like Lapras, travel across Hoenn and at the end Swablu is reunited with it's flock).
It was a sad episode when she had to sya bye.

deokishisu.123
3rd June 2010, 4:59 AM
*fears he maybe necroposting again*

i just have one question...
what was max going to say before may covered his mouth? if you know, pm me.

KGB13
14th August 2010, 12:24 AM
Man, I really thought May was going to get that Swablu, it would have fit with her perfectly and would have probably done well in contest.

Nice episode.

AquaMilotic
1st December 2010, 3:21 AM
A great episode.

Something I'll never forget was "Egyptian Mummie Swablu".

I really miss Jigglypuff, it was great to hear the song again. And Swablu is even cuter than Jigglypuff!

Milotic

G50
3rd March 2011, 6:21 AM
This episode was ok. It was cool to see Swablu for the 1st time. I really like the new look of Sing attack. It was cool to see May help Swablu out, take care of it and really have a bond with it. It was interesting to see Ash and Pikachu trying to show Swablu how to fly. It was funny how Torchic woke everyone up after Swablu used Sing to put them to sleep.

37/100

hever
4th March 2011, 12:11 AM
;_; Yet another goodbye episode. How sad?

7/10

CliveKoopa
10th September 2011, 11:51 PM
Swablu stole Jigglypuff's song, lol. Jigglypuff should sue Swablu. Weird how every pokemon that uses Sing seems to have the exact same song. Even that other Jigglypuff in a later episode sings the same song.

Anyway this was a great May episode.

Bulba the Great!
3rd April 2012, 12:36 AM
I lol'd when Ash, Brock and Max all walked out of one door with towels over their shoulders and told May she could shower. Does that mean...they shower together?

It was also nice to see Treecko training against Mudkip in the montage. Proof that training does actually occur, on occasion, and that Brock actually uses his Pokemon.

Vernikova
5th July 2012, 3:43 AM
The park ranger said that it could take a while for Swablu to recover from its trauma and it ended up taking a few hours. Well, I guess they had to rap it up somehow. I didn't really enjoy this episode but I didn't dislike it either. It just seemed like a standard episode to me.

Caseydia
5th July 2012, 5:53 PM
I was watching this on the Hub yesterday and was still pissed about this not being a capture. Swablu was one of the Pokemon I saw May to go perfectly with her. That and Clamperl because of it's beauty.

7threst
29th September 2012, 3:41 PM
I think - that even for a filler - this had some major character development for May. She really shown she can be a great trainer and coordinator. I think the whole thing surrounding here and the Swablu was great and I also enjoyed the humorous part with Torchic trying to wake May and the rest up.

CliveKoopa
4th May 2014, 9:41 PM
I don't consider an episode that has major character development filler. This episode is far from filler.

Painkiller2001
5th November 2014, 5:11 AM
So apparently Sing has the exact same rhythm now?
Really hoped May was going to keep that Swablu, she bonded really well with it. :)

Lorde
28th November 2014, 5:26 AM
I thought that Swablu covered in bandages was adorable and I thought Meowth's boss fantasy was great if only because Butch and Cassidy appeared in it. Anyway, seeing May bond with Swablu and act all motherly made me smile and thought that Ash trying to help Swablu fly was really cute as well. Seeing Altaria return for her child was heartwarming.