PDA

View Full Version : Exploud and Clear! (342)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:40 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/342.jpgExploud and Clear!

Accidently finding a trainer's disobedient Loudred, Ash is challenged to a battle. He uses his Treecko in a long battle against the Loudred...but when things are starting to get tough, both Loudred and Treecko evolve. Will this battle of strength come to a climatic end?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/342.shtml)

Discuss

Yellow
14th November 2004, 8:18 PM
This episode will be legendary since Ash's Treecko evolves into Grovyle and the Loudred that was on Dewford Island evolves in Exploud as well. It isn't really a long time until it airs in the US, and I can't wait to see this episode.

Geodude
14th November 2004, 8:20 PM
That Loudred is NOT the same one from Dewford. No clue where you got that idea from.

Gravy
14th November 2004, 8:30 PM
That Loudred is NOT the same one from Dewford. No clue where you got that idea from.
*nods* True that, true that. The big giveaway being that they both sound different to each other. Although, I suppose it would've been a nice touch.

Anyways, this episode is awesome and is definatly one to look forward to. Some top-notch animation is used in the battle scenes, making for a more than awesome duel between Grovlye and Exploud as they battle it out near the waterfall. The Treecko vs. Loudred battle is also excellent. I'm glad they used their best animation team for this episode, as they have a somewhat distinctive style that stands out from most other episodes. Love the use of the thick black lines for close-ups.

Shiny May
6th January 2005, 1:49 PM
a good ep. The animations were good, i Liked how both Treecko and Loudred evolved at the same time. Also sad how the Loudred/Exploud disobedient its trainer. Grovyle looked great and you can clearly see it's got the same attitude of Treecko. Like how they did that !!
I also liked the thick black lines when there were close-ups. It made it look better !!
A fantastic episode, 9/10

Alfonso
6th January 2005, 11:45 PM
Just a thought, but I wonder what they'll use in place of Maemuki Rokketto-Dan, which was played in this episode. (When TR were trying to catch Expload, I believe. By using a cork-firing... thing.) Team Rocket Forever, perhaps?

...Nah, it wouldn't fit. An English version of Maemuki Roketto-Dan, perhaps? :p (Yeah, you can just see THAT happening. :P)

Raize
9th January 2005, 5:18 AM
Heh.

Another episode I'm waiting to see a lot it's the eppy something very special happens to like my Fav of Ash's Pokemon! The battle seems intense and a good one. It's not fair away now! It's coming.

vulpix
12th February 2005, 7:26 PM
it was great how treeko evolved in this episode!i was waiting for one of ash's pokemon evolved.think about it how long has it been since one of ash's pokemon evolve.i can say it has been a long long time!!!!

Space Skitty
13th February 2005, 9:46 PM
You can count on Treecko to evolve with a blast! The battle between Treecko/Grovyle & Loudred/Exploud was quite a long and tough battle. I can't wait to see it in America!

SeraphimWarrior13
19th February 2005, 4:15 PM
I just saw Grovyle use Leaf Blade on this episode and it's exactly how I pictured it! This was an awesome episode!

Torkoal Stu
19th February 2005, 4:22 PM
How was Grovyle's dub voice!

V Faction
19th February 2005, 4:29 PM
How was Grovyle's dub voice!
The same as before, but adjusted to Grovyle's personality. It would get down right mean at certain points.

The Big Al
19th February 2005, 4:33 PM
A great episode. Nothing like two Pokemon with bad attitudes fighting. Everyone's favorite raptor has hit the states.

Juputoru
19th February 2005, 4:33 PM
-I didn't particularly like Grovyle's dub voice; it sounds too noisy(It makes many noises in the original as well, but not only is it quieter, but it just plain sounds better, since most of its noises are "Jrrrr! Jrrr!"s, kind of like growls. Plus it doesn't seem to make as many of htem when its fighting...) On the other hand, it sounds better than the first Grovyle we heard...still, I can't see why they couldn't have kept its original call. After all, it IS pretty much just growling, and they haven't had problems with that before...
-Amazing how Exploud and Grovyle can make their calls without moving their mouths(or, in Grovyle's case, without even *opening* its mouth)...X_x
-Exploud's voice fits; it's loud and noisy, like it ought to be.
-I only caught the end of the ep. Meh.

V Faction
19th February 2005, 4:34 PM
Also, no complaints from me for this Episode. It was great in the Original and it was great in the Dub.

V Faction
19th February 2005, 4:36 PM
-I didn't particularly like Grovyle's dub voice; it sounds too noisy(It makes many noises in the original as well, but not only is it quieter, but it just plain sounds better, since most of its noises are "Jrrrr! Jrrr!"s, kind of like growls. Plus it doesn't seem to make as many of htem when its fighting...) On the other hand, it sounds better than the first Grovyle we heard...still, I can't see why they couldn't have kept its original call. After all, it IS pretty much just growling, and they haven't had problems with that before...
This coming from you. I don't know if I should applaud.

Blaziken Trainer
19th February 2005, 4:37 PM
Great Episode, but I hated grovyles voice

frednmethod
19th February 2005, 4:38 PM
Does anyone think this episode would have been slightly better if they showed Grovyle winning the battle with Exploud at the end? I really wish they show the end of battles without cutting them off, cuz I really wanna know who won. They've been doing that for a fair few times. (like Pikachu vs Nicolai's Mudkip, Torkoal against Ludicolo in the next episode etc)

Blaziken Trainer
19th February 2005, 4:39 PM
Does anyone think this episode would have been slightly better if they showed Grovyle winning the battle with Exploud at the end? I really wish they show the end of battles without cutting them off, cuz I really wanna know who won. They've been doing that for a fair few times. (like Pikachu vs Nicolai's Mudkip, Torkoal against Ludicolo in the next episode etc)

Yeah, that would be nice. I think Grovyle won.

CyberCubed
19th February 2005, 4:41 PM
"Exploud and Clear" was a great episode. The animation in it was superb, a nice step up from last weeks animation.

Grovyle looks awesome, I just need to get used to it's voice. And I always thought Exploud was one of the coolest new R/S pokemon just by looks. They also confirmed that pokemon's personalities change when they evolve.

Team Rocket also had a disturbing scheme in this episode with "plugging up ever hole".

The battles were pretty good, and I hope this trainer returns in the Hoenn league. Leaf blade looks pretty cool in motion.

Puffs
19th February 2005, 4:43 PM
I loved this episode, Exploud & Grovyle were very detailed. Did anybody catch the answer to trainer's choice?

V Faction
19th February 2005, 4:47 PM
I loved this episode, Exploud & Grovyle were very detailed. Did anybody catch the answer to trainer's choice?
Medicham. Won by having no weaknesses to Numel.

Robert
19th February 2005, 5:02 PM
It was a great episode. There were some pretty funny lines and the battles were exciting. Grovyle's voice is okay, but I kinda miss Treeko... Oh well.

Pinky the Mew
19th February 2005, 6:09 PM
Exellent battle! Superb.
What I can't grasp is why the size changed on Grovyle. The last Grovyle was just above the 5 foot range. But Ash's Groyle was more accurate to the game ( 2ft. 11in tall) What's the deal here?

Iv'e also noticed way back when Ponyta was first sighted that it too was waay too big. It was soupposed to be 3ft. tall . The size of a Shetland pony. But I can understand that reason for the size change.

Changing the size of Grovyle had no reasoning for it at all. They should have kept the first Grovyle the offical size in the first place.

Goodness knows why Team rocket ever tries to capture pokemon anymore their running out of ideas, seriously.

Tamer Zack
19th February 2005, 6:49 PM
This was a good episode the best part was when Corphish ran up the tree and knock Ash off.

Wing
19th February 2005, 7:44 PM
Why do I get the feeling they changed it from Gai to Guy for no good reason? >_>

Anyway, I've been waiting for this episode for a good long while (Even before the Dub title for it was released) and my waiting paid off big time. Exploud was cool, and Grovyle was just everything I expected it to be, and so much more. Grovyle looked totally awesome when it used Leaf Blade. Like poetry in motion.

Anyway. Since the cornerstone of any good review is balancing what you liked with what you didn't like, there are two things the irked me. The first is that they kept the old Grovyle's voice. (I was REALLY pulling for him getting a deeper voice. Ah well. I was wrong on Zangoose, and I'm wrong on this. >_>) The second is that the episode ended without the battle reaching a climax. Those kinds of episodes are good IN MODERATION. But this is what, the 2nd one this season? The last one was in Zigzag Zangoose, and that wasn't really a long time ago.

But oh well. All in all this was a great episode. Sadly, we're probably not gonna see Grovyle get another good battle until Ash vs. Norman. (Which is what, a month from now?)

Anyway. 9.5/10. This easily would've been a 10 if they had just made Grovyle's voice a bit deeper. But I'll adjust easily.

Geki
19th February 2005, 7:55 PM
This episode was AWESOME. Seeing Grovyle VS Exploud in battle, was undescribable. I hope Grovyle continues to be this tough and cool.

MidnightScott
19th February 2005, 8:01 PM
I'm watching it right now and its broing (I recorded it)
They need to stop having so many episodes where u have to wait for a gym battle...Can't wait until the Kyogre VS. Groudon Episode, it will be sweet!

-Scott-;229;

Yamato-san
19th February 2005, 8:24 PM
I saw the Japanese version a couple of weeks ago. I would say "finally saw" because I'd been anticipating this episode ever since it was announced in Japan, but considering I managed to see it before the dub's premiere, I won't XP

Anyway, what to say about this ep that hasn't been said already? Forgive me for sounding bias, but just for being the episode where Juptle evolved should be enough to give it a 10/10. Hell, you could make this episode seem like a typical Joutoish filler in which they help another woman Takeshi falls for with her Pokemon problems, Juptle evolves during another typical Rocket fight at the end of the episode, and this would still be good. But instead of doing that, they made this episode even better and more special for the situation by doing the opposite of what I just said. Kimori evolves into Juptle very early on in the episode, and in the heat of a rather intense non-Rocket battle. A weekly filler character's there, sure, but they made the character actually seem a bit interesting compared to others (and personally, I was surprised how masculine Gai sounded when I first saw the Japanese version. And here I was thinking he'd be another wuss). And even Rocket Dan get some uniqueness points for having personal conflicts about attempting to snatch the Pokemon of the week, as well as getting offed before they had a chance to say their motto XD. I would agree that the battle at the end cutting off irked me as well, but that aside, I'd say this was overall one of the best episodes ever.

Sasuke
19th February 2005, 8:35 PM
Overall I liked this episode. Grovyle and Exploud were cool. The battles were good. The only downside was Groyvle's voice. I expected it deeper and more powerful. What I got was some sort of weird voice. Exploud's voice was awsome though.

Heracross
19th February 2005, 8:36 PM
Well, I slept through the first half, so I don't have any comment about that part of the dub. I was very dissappointed with what I did see though. The only music I heard which they kept the same was when Juputoru and Bakuongu start fighting by the waterfall. I guess last week's ep got my hopes up by keeping so much of the original score. Whoever is in charge of the music over at 4Kids really needs some ritalin because s/he was all over the place. With the exception of the one I mentioned above, I don't think a single piece played for more than seven seconds before going on to another one.>_<

Music aside, this episode was awesome. A great way to intoduce Juputoru by having it evolve in that battle. I really liked how they animated the battle as well, the thick black lines really helped accentuate the intensity and tension of it.

Although it didn't do much in this episode, I thought Heigani was great. I don't know how it sounded in the dub, but it was absolutely hilarious when it was talking to Kimori. "Hei Hei Hei!" XD As for Juputoru's dub voice, it was alright. It wasn't bad, but it didn't really seem to fit him that well.

Space Skitty
19th February 2005, 8:52 PM
I thought this was a good episode. The battle was intense and Corphish was hilarious! XD My only complaint is Grovyle's voice. It sounded... odd... O.o; I think Grovyle should've had a cooler more firmer voice. Exploud's voice was great, though.

meggirl63
19th February 2005, 10:50 PM
This was an ok episode.........

Medea
19th February 2005, 10:52 PM
Agreed! This episode was alright. However, I was happy to see Treecko evolve into Grovyle.

Psychic Venusaur
20th February 2005, 12:14 AM
It was funny when they said Guy's (Gai's) name. Seemed sort of like they were being rude.

I like how the Carvahna on the Rocket bazooka was a Sharpedo later on.

I thought this episode was really cool. I agree about the thick lines. It worked especially good with Ursaring a while back.

The battles were cool. Exploud was cool. I enjoyed this ep. a lot. I', o.k. with Grovyle's voice, but I hope Ash's Swellow in the future sounds different from Vito's, since it sounded very similar to Grovyle.

In the past four episodes, the new characters have all had new voices. I commend 4Kids for that.

9/10, I loved it.

Destiny Bond
20th February 2005, 1:04 AM
Good episode. Grovyle's voice sort of took me by surprise but I can get used to it. In fact, I think it really fits it. I just thought that the Pound attack looks more like a Vine Whip/Slam attack but I guess everything can't go the way I see it. I really enjoyed Leaf Blade as well. Exploud looks really awesome too and I love its violent nature.

Oh, and I loved it when Ash interrupted Team Rocket and decided to blast them off right away with Exploud. Finally, Ash is doing things the "right way."

Kamex
20th February 2005, 1:05 AM
I don't know what is it with you guys. If you read all the posts before this one, probably more than half of them said they didn't like Grovyle's dub voice. I liked it last time, and I like it now. It seems to be perfect for it IMO, and I myself have fun using it. I guess I'm the first one here to like it that much. :/

Anyway, this episode had esspecially nice animation, as previously mentioned, and that's always a good thing. The thick lines made each attack that much more powerful.

Once again, Ash interupted Team Rocket's motto. As always, that was funny.

Corphish's mouth in the beginning of the episode wasn't moving at all, I believe, yet Corphish was talking quite a bit. Ah well, it's not like it's a big deal, and it happened before. But this time it was more than usual.

Meowth's fantasy was more interesting this time, for some reason. It was longer and more detailed. And when Giovanni was talking in Meowth's voice, it faded back to reality, showing Meowth still talking, lol.

Of all the few times 4Kids changed a character's name for the dub, this might have been one of the better times, since 'Gai' sounds so much like the English word 'guy', but whatever. I'd better not complain about them keeping a name for the dub.

This was a cool episode, I'll give it a 9/10.

cold_katanagirl
20th February 2005, 1:14 AM
Was the dude's name Gai or Guy? I hate either name.... Especially Guy. Who the hell names their kid "Guy"? That name... Annoys me now. -_-

Uh... So Groyvle finally evolved, dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun. Uh, yeah it was a good episode. I've missed a lot of them so it was nice to see something.

But, why the heck did they cut out the battle at the end? I'm getting tired of them doing that... -_-

ParselTongue
20th February 2005, 1:37 AM
Grovyle looked great, his voice seemed odd to me also. Best part of the show was Corphish falling on Ash's head. One thing I loved was ash calling team Rockets motto old and blasting them off instantly.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
20th February 2005, 2:34 AM
Wow! This was a pretty good episode. Grovyle's voice bugged me at first, but I got used to it. I liked Exploud drinking out of a waterfall, that was funny. TR did some funny faces here, especially when Meowth mentioned Loudred. The animation was tons better than the Ursaring one, that was just utterly terrible. Exploud's voice was excellent. Grovyle looked quite cool, as well. Gai was a better filler character than the other recent ones, as there was some history behind him. Whismur was cute^^.

Overall rating:
9.8 out of 10!!!
Definitely one of the better Evolution episodes. Hope the later ones will be this good.

SC~ out

Kamex
20th February 2005, 3:02 AM
The animation was tons better than the Ursaring one, that was just utterly terrible.
It wasn't that bad... :/

Anyway, I forgot to say that they should have had a flashback of Charizard, concerning Loudred's/Exploud's disobediance. Or at least they should have mentioned it. Funny, it took Ash a heck of a lot longer to re-bond with Charizard than it took Gai to do so with his Pokemon. I guess that's because Gai saved Exploud out of caring for it a lot sooner than Ash did to Charizard (Gai pushed Exploud out of the way of James' cork-canon/Ash warmed Charizard up in "Charizard Chills!", after it froze from Tad's Poliwrath's Ice beam, not to mention Ash's Primeape, and how it was saved).

Also, I think lately James' voice has been getting a bit closer to his normal old ways. It wasn't as silly, especially during the motto. But it was very subtle, so maybe I was imagining things out of my hopes and dreams. :/

Edit: Max: It was a joke, please don't hurt me! (lol)

jolteonjak
20th February 2005, 7:44 PM
Why is Ash so dumb?

They start glowing (Loudred and Treecko). "Uhhh...what's going on?"

Come on! His Pokemon evolved before you'd think you tell by now. His stupidity is what's getting old.

Other than that, yay for the evolution finally. Though it totally gives away who Ash will use in Norman's gym battle.

pokemon_trainer_matt
20th February 2005, 7:53 PM
:(:(:(:(:( i missed the episode but i saw it thanx to serebii on the picture thing, i hope grovyle evolves into a sceptile

Pokemon Fan
20th February 2005, 9:21 PM
Why is Ash so dumb?

They start glowing (Loudred and Treecko). "Uhhh...what's going on?"

Come on! His Pokemon evolved before you'd think you tell by now. His stupidity is what's getting old.
The other trainer didn't seem to realize it either at first. Pokemon glow when performing certain attacks, and sometimes when powering up as well, so it's reasonable it would be confusing at times. Still, I agree it is a bit tiring having them act like they have no clue at all what is happening. I much prefer the times they've said things like "is it evolving?" or "I think it's evolving."

they kept the old Grovyle's voice. (I was REALLY pulling for him getting a deeper voice. Ah well. I was wrong on Zangoose, and I'm wrong on this.
I thought it was fairly different (and better) than the old Grovyle voice. And really, a low voice wouldn't suit the lithe Grovyle (it really didn't suit Zangoose).

As much as I would have liked a more animalistic call like Charizard or what Grovyle's Japanese voice is like (I haven't heard it personally), Ash's Grovyle's strikes me as a "good" dub voice as it retained personality.

Exploud's voice on the other hand... it was so annoyingly repetitive, had virutally no emotion and its tone varied very little.

On another note, I'd like it if they'd have Grovyle start using Slam. The attack is basically identical to Pound but more powerful and it'd be nice to see Grovyle advance in that way. But then again attacks don't exactly have power levels in the anime like in the games.

wobbanut
20th February 2005, 9:41 PM
I liked this episode a lot. It was definitely an improvement over last week's disappointing episode (I saw the Gulpin episode a second time and I'm still underwhelmed). It was great to see Treecko evolve, and I bet a lot of his bad attitude at the beginning stemmed from the previous episode. It made for interesting viewing.

The best part of all, though, had to be the last act. As much as I love Team Rocket's motto, Ash's interruption and Team Rocket's reaction were just plain hilarious. :D I liked James wondering if he meant they're getting old or the motto is. LOL The motto's certainly not old to me. :D

Edited to correct myself, I just watched the episode again yesterday. :p

Amber
20th February 2005, 10:18 PM
Yay! it is about time! Treecko evolved! Yahoo! this was one of the best episodes I have ever seen!

Geodude
21st February 2005, 7:08 AM
http://www.geoscreens.com/ash/ag66hitbycorphish.jpg

http://www.geoscreens.com/ash/ag66falling.jpg

http://www.geoscreens.com/ash/ag66hitbycorphishagain.jpg

It had a lot of funny expressions, too.

Torkoal Stu
21st February 2005, 7:11 AM
It had a lot of funny expressions, too.

lol! that is one of the funnest pic ever!

EDIT FROM DOGASU: There's no need to quote all the pictures that you did. It just makes it annoying for all those dial-up users.

Pinky the Mew
21st February 2005, 6:29 PM
You know what bugged me was that Ash didn't bother to mention any of his own pokemon. And thier disobeidient problems(Primape/Charizard). He IS the most experienced trainer there (not counting Brock). He acted as if this was a new learning experience. Pretty stupid and frustrating to me.

Puffs
21st February 2005, 11:25 PM
True, Ash could've mentioned all his disobedient pokemon. Charmeleon/Charizard, Primeape, Haunter, Snorlax, Totodile. I though Grovyle was using Vine Whip when it used Pound.

Geodude
22nd February 2005, 12:55 AM
Heh...you should know very well that the Treecko line can't learn Vine Whip. :-p

This (http://members.shaw.ca/geodudesounds/ash/firstleafblade.wav) is the scene from this ep in Japanese where Grovyle first used Leaf Blade to cut off a new twig for itself. If you've never heard its Japanese voice, listen to this, and compare it to the dub voice.

Puffs
22nd February 2005, 2:05 AM
I new Grovyle can't learn Vine Whip, thats why I was so confused until they said it was Pound.

Jesse GS the II
23rd February 2005, 8:17 PM
Though I haven't seen the dub yet, I just saw the Japanese version of this one - and I must say, there was some fine direction in this episode. I love the use of darker outlines whenever a close-up is used, it makes the art look a lot more interesting. And the facial expressions in this one were great too. I want to know who directed this one (and "Poetry Commotion", since that one seemed to have the same style of animation as this did).

Since the dub reruns on Friday, I'll be able to compare it then.

Chris
23rd February 2005, 9:26 PM
Guys, Juputoru wasn't the disobediant one. o_O It listened quite well to Satoshi. It just wanted to fight abit more. Nothing among the lines of Lizardon.

Bakuongu, however, had the disobeiance issues.

As for Ash wondering what was going on..4Kids dumbed that one down. Satoshi clearly said "Kore wa..?!" during the evolution, meaning he knew exactly what was going on. Everyone but Masato and Haruka knew that the two Pokémon were evolving.

Geodude
24th February 2005, 12:13 AM
Yeah Grovyle refused to get back in its Pokeball and went up in that tree, but only in order to look for Exploud, not to disobey.

Jesse GS the II
25th February 2005, 9:34 PM
Well, now that I've seen the dub, I can honestly say that I REALLY prefer the Japanese version of this entire show. Few things I noticed:

- Grovyle's voice SUCKS compared to Juptoru's
- 4Kids can't tolerate silence in the least (the whole scene where Exploud and Gai reconcile totally lost its emotion)
- When Gai jumps into the path of the corks that Jessie and James shoot at Exploud, 4Kids removed the three that hit him in the back. Point, please?
- Jessie and James' puns are even less tolerable now that I've heard their original dialogue ("Explain Exploud"; "Stick a cork in it"; "A Pokémon poised precariously on a precipice", which Kojiru never even SAID in the Japanese version; etc.)

Apparently, once you've had Japanese, you can never go back.

V Faction
25th February 2005, 10:45 PM
Apparently, once you've had Japanese, you can never go back.
Boy how I pity you.

Swellow
25th February 2005, 10:58 PM
Just saw this Episode. It will take some time to get used to Grovyle's voice even though I heard it way back in What You Seed is What you Get. I liked Exploud a lot very Touching with Guy. Also introduced part of a Game element in the Trading when if you only have a certain number of badges A Pokemon up to that level can obey you but if it's over that The pokemon might disobey you. Leaf Blade looks awesome, Funny that Ash was the only one that didn't seem to notice their would be at least 1 change. Furthermore was that the Loudred from the Dewford Island Arc or another one.

Ethereal
25th February 2005, 11:04 PM
Hm, just saw the ep, too. I liked it. Then again, I am biased because Exploud is one of my FAVORITE Pokemon. Both Exploud and Grovyle's dub voices are EXACTLY what I expected them to be, so I'm not disappointed in the least. I found Meowth's vision of Giovanni with the Exploud to be funnier than usual. I always find them to be funny, becuase they're always so retarded, but it was especially funny this time. The only thing against this ep is that I...HATE....TREECKO'S FAMILY LINE!!! I just wish Ash had a different Pokemon evolve, because I can't stand the Grass starter's family of this gen.

4/5...Lost a point due to Treecko/Grovyle being in it...And having TOO much screen time...

Trendy_boy87
24th March 2005, 7:50 PM
A Pokemon up to that level can obey you but if it's over that The pokemon might disobey you.

urm anime doesnt follow the games somtime pokemon just disobey look at ash and primape and ash and charizard

just because it doesnt obey doesnt mean you have to have the correct badges it was simply down to it evolution that it went crazy and then it wouldnt obey because it wanted to beat grovyle by it self

Sharpshooter
29th March 2005, 9:04 AM
......Umm the match?! What happened in the end?! That's the second time they've done that in the Hoenn region. They made it such a good battle originally, with both pokémon evolving and whatnot and then decided to completely abandoned it? It's like watching Tyson versus Lewis with all the pre-match hype and then have your cable operator disconnect it at round two.

Nice episode, expecting/hoping Grovyle's voice would sound the same as it had done in "What you seed is what you get!", and it did, so no mix up there then.

I like the no-nonsense approach also from Ash when they met Team Rocket, "Huh! OLD!!" and then Pikachu blasts them away lol, nice :p

Gravy
29th March 2005, 1:04 PM
I think this is the first episode of Advanced Challenge I've actually bothered to wake up at 7:30 in the morning to watch. Go me? Yes indeed.
Overall, I think the episode classes as one of my favourites of the series. We have a rather interesting plotline, some seriously tough looking pokémon, excellent animation and drawing style, all topped of with a considerable dosage of humour provided by the ever amusing Team Rocket. And it wasn't a filler either. Hooray.

Not to be a typically predictable jerkass or anything (as I assume I usually tend to be), but god-damn, I just couldn't stand Grovyle's voice at all. I really tried my best to like it, I really did. Gritted my teeth, dug my ears clean, sat close to the TV to get a good listen, the whole 'try my best' drill. Oh lored, how I tried. But, I just hated it. Hate with a capital 'H' even. I'm sorry, but with a voice like that, I don't understand how anyone could take Ash's Grovyle seriously. It just sounds terribly stupid and goofy. I just couldn't get that badass vibe off of him at all. BLAH.

....many appologies to all who had to sit through and read that rather short little rant.
All in all, good episode, 10/10

Blazing Charmander
29th March 2005, 2:34 PM
Great episode. One of the best in Hoenn. Treecko finally evolved into Grovyle and there was a great battle with humor on the side to top it all up. A real shame that we didn't see the winner. Did that with the Nicolai V Ash battle too.

It was funny when Team Rocket appeared and Ash started arguing about the motto being old with them coming back at how using Pikachu is old. Good stuff. I also actually found Meowth's boss daydream funny this time. They're starting to grow on me. The other one that got me laughing was the Bagon one. Exploud looked funny just standing there as an alarm clock.

Overall Rating: 9/10

♥Princess Ketchum♥
29th March 2005, 3:09 PM
it was a totally cool episode today and i glad treecko is grovyle now and i rate it
10/10

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
29th March 2005, 3:12 PM
PERFECT EP

but not as good as gulpin it down

look at my sig for the reveiw

Factory Head Noland
30th March 2005, 12:20 PM
I thought this episode was quite good, it could have been a bit more exciting with the battle and all.
Treecko evolved really fast! I'm gonna miss it...it looked so cool...oh well, now we got Grovyle! It's Leaf Blade attack is really something.
I loved the flashbacks of when Team Rocket were attacked by the Loudred at Dewford Island, they were so funny.

I was actually a really funny episode like when James said "Usually I say you gotta catch 'em all but not this time."

Overall: 7.1/10

Torkoal Stu
30th March 2005, 5:41 PM
This ep was good but a few things.

1)Exploud was NEVER ment to smile! It was ugly at that point! Agree?

2)Grovlye's legs looked wierd at times but his voice was the same as lass time I thought it would be different.

3)I wanted to see who won!

4)Well I thought Gai was a girl before I saw this ep! lol!

5)The battle was COOL and GOOD!

Overall 9/10 A good ep!

xyzman123
6th May 2005, 3:52 AM
Was this the one where Treecko evolved to Grovyle? One step closer to my favorite Pokemon.

Infinite Master Sceptile
26th May 2005, 2:02 PM
I just saw this episode yesterday in the afternoon. I was amazed! Who drew this episode, and what others have they done? The facial expressions on the Pokemon were so cool. And Exploud looks so cool! It even made me start to like Grovyle a little as a real character. Grovey sure has had a lot of character development. He has a lot of dimension. The only other characters that have had development are Corphish, May, and Drew. The others are flat and dull. Yay for Exploud!

Mudkip Master
11th June 2005, 3:41 AM
I loved this episode I would have liked to see the battle between Exploud and Grovyle

thed3
19th July 2005, 11:05 PM
Seen the episode yesterday. It had very good graphics and the battle scenes were awesome!!! One thing I could not stand was Grovyles voice!!! UGGHHH what a horrible sounding voice it has...when I first heard it I was like that is SO not Grovyle's voice... He kinda sounded like a nerd with a lot of growling on the side.

Exploud was cool... ugly... but still cool since it used Hyper Voice

Oh yeah and Gai, Guy however you spell it, his voice was damn low for a guy/kid that age... And him getting hit by corks and that 'saving' Exploud...oh please.... Gai should just go off and soak those corks for looking like a girl

Oh yeah and I had two revelations I learned that Grovyle is said Grow-vile...I said it like Grow-vee-ul... And the pokemon choice thing...I learned that Numel is said Numb-el and not Noo-mel... Stupid names with so many ways to say them...

Sora
6th September 2005, 12:33 AM
Wow, touchy feely. Not really the best, but a nice welcome back Snagger to the world of the pokemon cartoon

Shadowcat
9th September 2005, 5:20 AM
Well this episode's the one that is coming to Singapore tomorrow, Singapore Time, Saturday. It looks nice, Exploud and Grovyle.Treecko and Loudred both evolving in battle seemed a bit too much. Though it's quite a good one. I love the cool moves Grovyle does.

Ashy Boy
29th July 2006, 4:45 PM
Team Rocket felt really vain when Ash called them old.

bhrettzerda053
9th August 2008, 12:06 AM
I may not have seen Ash's Treecko evolve in this episode, at least I even see Grovyle on the succeeding episodes.

Torpoleon
5th October 2008, 3:48 PM
Both pokemon evolved at the same time!You don't see that everyday...

Tadashi
9th October 2008, 3:11 AM
Now this episode, I remember clearly. A double evolution, disobediant raging Exploud... who incidentally is one of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon... awesome ^^

Team Rocket also had a disturbing scheme in this episode with "plugging up ever hole".

Agreed. That does have a double entendre to it, but I can guarantee that this scheme is completely shadowed by one of Meowth's more recent... er, fantasies. *shot*

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 6:59 AM
Good episode. It was really cool to see 2 Pokemon evolve at the same time :)

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 12:55 PM
two pokemon evolved at the same time it doesn't happen often, it was fun to watch this episode.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 3:08 AM
it was so great to saw 2 Pokemon evolve at the same time, Grovyle is so cute ^_^;

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 1:26 PM
Great battles, great evolutions.

Especially the battle of Loudred vs Treecko, what a battle.

9/10

Lorde
9th January 2010, 11:11 AM
Well Treecko finally evolved, that pretty much made this episode epic in it's own right haha. Glad that we got two evolutions in one episode, even if one was just a COTD's Pokemon evolving. That doesn't happen too often, at least not anymore. I noticed that the battle itself was dull around the edge though; the same could be said about most battles in the AG period. Anyway, Treecko's evolution was still a sight to see. 7/10.

Willow's Tara
8th May 2010, 6:39 AM
Kira- Both May's and Jessie's Wurmple evovled at the same time. But yeah in the Sinnoh is a bit rare now.

Both evolutions was interesting. Exploud reminds me of Charizard in a way. I wonder if that Loudred was the same one on Dewford Island that everyone kept waking up.

saar
5th July 2010, 11:02 AM
The best non-gym episode I remember in AG.:)
I'd wanted to see the end of the battle between Grovyle and Exploud. Too bad it didn't come to end. As a Treecko and Loudred, Treecko would have lost eventully in the battle.

KGB13
11th August 2010, 3:20 AM
I was really glad that Treecko evolved, Grovyle is awesome.

I'm also glad that Loudred evolved too, the only thing I was unhappy about was how they didn't finish the battle, it could have been really good.

Overall, this was a good episode.

G50
4th March 2011, 6:27 AM
This episode was good. It was cool to see an Exploud for the 1st time. It was great to see Loudred and Grovyle evolve at the same time. I'm glad Grovyle keeps using a stick in its mouth, and learned Leaf Blade after evolving. The battle between Treecko and Loudred was cool, as well as the Grovyle vs Exploud battle. It was sad to see Exploud ignoring its trainer after evolving, but glad eventually it started listening.

67/100

OnceUponATime
19th December 2011, 12:04 AM
The battle between Treecko and Loudred was interesting. I liked the double evolution, but then when I saw Exploud, I was kind of in awe... it was really weird! I didn't like Exploud in the first place and I really don't like it now! Hahaha. Anyways, Grovyle is always good and so is Leaf Blade. Good episode!

Vernikova
6th July 2012, 2:46 PM
Not a bad episode. Treeko evolving into Grovyle was disappointing for me since I dislike Grovyle's design. I guess Treeko's bad attitude was because it was on the verge of evolution or something. Exploud is an uninteresting Pokemon and that's all I have to say about that thing.

TheSirPeras
14th July 2012, 1:48 AM
Great episode! Really liked the double evolution, Grovyle has a cool personality and attitude, I liked how they made Exploud look all tough and badass and then when it was smiling it looked so innocent :D
10/10 definitely :)

7threst
29th September 2012, 4:05 PM
Well, both Exploud and Grovyle are some pretty strong Pokémon and I loved to see Treeko evolving after a while. I think the battle and humor was great and I certainly loved the continuation (for the most part) of Treeko's personality and Grovyle.

Painkiller2001
5th November 2014, 5:40 AM
With how Treecko was behaving at the beginning along with how raring to to go it was to battle, I had a feeling an evolution was coming. Wasn't expecting a double evolution!
Glad Ash's Treecko evolved in to Grovyle. I've always liked Ash's Grovyle better than others for some reason. :)