PDA

View Full Version : A Double Dilemma (344)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:43 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/344.jpgA Double Dilemma!

Heading back to Petalburg City, Ash & Co. get swamped by people fawning over May & Max, the children of their town gym leader. However nearby, Team Rocket are posing as the family and causing trouble. Will they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/344.shtml)

Discuss

King Shuckle
4th December 2004, 2:16 AM
My Predicted Titles:
False Family Affair
The Fake Family Face-Off!
Punk'd, Pokemon Style!
There's No Place Like Home

Hales
4th December 2004, 2:26 AM
My Predicted Titles:
False Family Affair
The Fake Family Face-Off!
Punk'd, Pokemon Style!
There's No Place Like Home
They did a version of 'There's No Place Like Home' already with 'No Place Like Hoenn' way back in Pokemon Advanced... so I don't think they'll use that one.

But the first two are awesome titles... The Fake Family Face-off! a favourite though :D

The Big Al
7th December 2004, 3:05 AM
How about "The Worst Episode in the History of the Anime".

I'm already hating this episode. It's the episode that made me into an anti-May fan.
-1/10
:@

Chris
7th December 2004, 3:37 AM
Oh grow up. Give some good reasonings as to why this episode was bad.

"Tunnel Vision" is the worst one. :|

Meowth and Wobbuffet dressed as Haruka and Masato were hilarious. The battles were neatly done, especially Grovyle against Golduck. I thought the whole decleration of Haruka being the victor because of Torchic knocking Satoshi out was hilarious. Especially when she started shouting for Torchic to use "Hinoko" (Ember) rapidly in a chibi-ized style. XD

The Big Al
7th December 2004, 3:42 AM
I'm entitled to my opinions. I don't have to defend them to you.

Chris
7th December 2004, 4:08 AM
Opinions only matter when you have something to back them up. Just flat out saying something's stupid without any justified reasoning is called bashing.

Hales
7th December 2004, 8:26 AM
Was it because May unfairly beat Ash? because I didn't find that fair either... but then I'm slightly biased to Ash because I adore him :D

I on the other hand am looking forward to this episode, I like the idea of seeing Ash torched by mistake :)

Chris
7th December 2004, 8:31 AM
Technically she didn't win. The woman only declared her as the winner because she was biased towards the daughter of Senri. Even Masato pointed out that she was supposed to knock out Subame rather than Satoshi. XD

Hales
7th December 2004, 8:43 AM
I had an idea that was what it was... :) Taillow dodged the attack right?

I read the summary and even I thought Max was unhappy with that 'win' but wasn't he disgruntled over May getting all the attention anyway?

MaskedManAbsolkid
7th December 2004, 11:51 AM
The picture of Meowth and Wobbuffet as May and Max looked funny! If Ash didn't realise it was Team Rocket, it'd be really weird.

The Big Al
7th December 2004, 12:12 PM
Were the people of that town on something. How could they explain how May shrunk and Max grew and turned blue?

Yes, the battle is the straw that broke the Camerupts back for me. If I was Ash I would told the locals shut their collective traps and let me do my job. Preying on a trainer who has a bunch of tired Pokemon, he was tired, and then could here himself think with all the shouting. May should have known better. It was dishonorable for Ash and May. After that, I had no respect for May.

BlueV2
7th December 2004, 12:16 PM
It's pokemon...the people NEVER notice when someone changes skin color...plus their only 14 or 15...they arn't adults so stop treating them like they are.

Crystal Latios
7th December 2004, 12:30 PM
Yes, you are right. Honestly, It was weird for me. People couldn`t see, that "Max" has blue skin XD and "May" is very small and has cat ears. But how Slow said, its a pokemon and people just don`t see some things.

Chris
7th December 2004, 12:36 PM
I found it hilarious how the group started to notice that "Masato" was shouting "Sonansu" when the town's people didn't. XD

And seriously, Satoshi doesn't have a hot headed temper. So the town declared her as the winner when he got knocked out by Ember. So what? You make it sound like they stayed in favor of Haruka the whole episode. They were fans of Senri's whole family. They were biased. It's not Haruka's fault. The town then recognized Sato--okay, rather Pikachu's feats when they beat the Rocket Gang. The town is filled with fanboy idiots. No need to hate Haruka just cause the town's extremely biased.

Were it a REAL battle judged by a League Rep., the battle would have kept going since Taillow was still able to battle.

Hales
7th December 2004, 2:05 PM
Why oh why did I cause mass grief and frustration by mentioning the battle *cringes*

Sorry!

So if the battle continued who would have won? of course knowing that poor Ash was exhausted and having a raging headache from screaming biased Norman fans? ;)

Chris
7th December 2004, 7:29 PM
Considering Taillow wasn't tired and Haruka most likely had Torchic waste a bit of energy doing that huge Ember, I'm sure Taillow would've won. Especially since it was winning in the first place.

The Big Al
7th December 2004, 9:37 PM
I don't see why Ash didin't force the issue that the battle wasn't over. Considering how he went through a lot to get some matches, he was a real wuss on this one.

Hales
7th December 2004, 9:44 PM
Ash was tired and had a headache (kind of not hard to with screaming Norman fans around)... I think that was the real reason! :)

Chris
7th December 2004, 9:47 PM
I don't see why Ash didin't force the issue that the battle wasn't over. Considering how he went through a lot to get some matches, he was a real wuss on this one.
Do you actually think they were going to listen if he went on outrage on them? e_e

BlueV2
7th December 2004, 9:55 PM
I don't see why Ash didin't force the issue that the battle wasn't over. Considering how he went through a lot to get some matches, he was a real wuss on this one. It's a city full of the family fanatics...not a snowball's chance in hell they were going to let him go on. Still, just let her have the one victory...she has a diffrent path from what Satoshi has...so the challenges are going to be diffrent.

Yellow
8th December 2004, 4:32 AM
I have a feeling that I'm going to hate May after this episode. I can't believe she basically cheated against Ash and didn't even say it was un-fair.

Chris
8th December 2004, 5:18 AM
Oh for god's sake. He's not overcompetetive like you guys make him out to be. She didn't cheat. She only won because the judge was overbiased of Haruka. The match wasn't an official one. He knows Haruka doesn't get that many victories so it was best to let her be happy about her training for once. Get over it, people. :|

Geodude
8th December 2004, 5:19 AM
I have a feeling that I'm going to hate May after this episode. I can't believe she basically cheated against Ash and didn't even say it was un-fair.

What's so hard to believe? If he did, it would have been his word vs the word of an angry mob of fanboys. The smart move was to keep his mouth shut.

Hales
8th December 2004, 7:35 AM
Okay I just want to laugh here... I feel really sorry for Edward Elric...

In point form (not that I've seen this episode)

-Ash didn't get beaten because Taillow was still able to fight
-May 'wins'
-Mob goes nuts because they're Norman fans
-Ash - well he's got a humongous headache from screaming fans so it's kind of hard for him to put to much of a fight :)

Plus didn't TR butt in not long after that battle?

When I first read the summary I thought it was unfair, but I love hearing the opinions of other people who've seen it in Japanese and I except their word.

Plus it's only an anime so you know *shrug* ;)

Geodude
8th December 2004, 7:51 AM
I feel really sorry for Edward Elric...

What about me? I'm on his side...

*feels neglected*

Hales
8th December 2004, 7:56 AM
What about me? I'm on his side...

*feels neglected*
I'm sorry Geodude... I feel bad for you too! :)

Now don't give me the guilt trip... you are totally not neglected... heck don't I ask you many stupid questions? :)

The Big Al
8th December 2004, 11:55 AM
That match shouldn't even have occured in the first place. May should have known better. Ash was tired, his Pokemon were tired, and crowd would sooner tear him apart than let him win. Real trainers (a co-ordinators) know you don't kick another trainer when they're down. They've shown that throughout the series and then throw it out the window to give her a mega-cheap win. That's the number one reason I don't like May and I don't like this episode.

frednmethod
8th December 2004, 5:33 PM
Sure, the match was unfair, but that wasn't because of May, it was because of the mob.

Geodude
8th December 2004, 6:33 PM
Yeah the battle wasn't May's idea, it was the crowd's. They wanted to see the daughter of their favorite Gym Leader in action.

The Big Al
8th December 2004, 10:49 PM
I think Ash and May should have been smart enough to decline. They should have known it would be unfair and that any judging would be biased. Maybe Brock should have judged as he had no real preference over one or the other. Still, I think May should have been declared the loser for having her Pokemon attack the opposing trainer instead of the opposing Pokemon. That was one of the cheapest is not THE cheapest battle in Pokemon history. That battle was Ash's but that blasted crowd couldn't be mature enough to let it run it's course.

Nameless
9th December 2004, 12:43 AM
I think Ash and May should have been smart enough to decline. They should have known it would be unfair and that any judging would be biased. Maybe Brock should have judged as he had no real preference over one or the other. Still, I think May should have been declared the loser for having her Pokemon attack the opposing trainer instead of the opposing Pokemon. That was one of the cheapest is not THE cheapest battle in Pokemon history. That battle was Ash's but that blasted crowd couldn't be mature enough to let it run it's course.

With all those fanatic fans? They would get teared apart by the mob.

Chris
9th December 2004, 2:35 AM
Get.over.it.

You know Satoshi was gonna win. We knew he was gonna win. He knew he was gonna win. He's not overcompetetive. Leave it be. He was being mature about it and letting them think what they want. You can't change someone's opinion if they're completely biased. It's not like the battle had any significant effect.

For christ's sake, calm down and get over it. So she won; big deal. She's not bragging about it. It hasn't been brought up since it happened. No worries about it.

The Big Al
9th December 2004, 2:43 AM
This episode's moral
Discetrion is the better part of valor and important to not looking like you need to be covered in A1.

Still -1/10
I hate mobs, cheap battles, and nutcase fans, you don't agree with me, deal.

Geodude
9th December 2004, 1:29 PM
If May had directly TOLD Torchic to include Ash in the attack, you might have a case. But she did not.

Chatsy
9th December 2004, 2:44 PM
May couldn't have turned down the battle against Ash.
She had her Dad's honor to think about. What wouldn't the mob think about her, and her dad, if she turned down a battle? Besides, May was so worked up over all that ego boosting-ness from the mob, that she just wanted to prove herself. And the more the crowd cheered, the more she got worked up. Pretty much similar to when Ash gets overconfident.
And Ash couldn't exactly turn down the battle either. He had his own honor to think about. He battled, and won, against numerous of trainers, and if he turned down a battle against May, then he would've been labeled as a frightened trainer, who doesn't dare to battle against the daughter of the Petalburg city's gym leader.
The fact that the crowd prefered to lie to themselves, and only make things happen to their likings, is just not something you can do about.
May didn't control the crowd. May had nothing to do with their obsessions. And May couldn't help that she, a young naive girl, ended up believing what the crowd said. She isn't exactly the pessimistic type. Not in these kind of occasions anyway.
But if you have to blame anyone for this infair battle, then blame the mob.

The Big Al
9th December 2004, 2:52 PM
I hate the mob mentality. It drains the intellegence out of otherwise reasonable people.

frednmethod
12th December 2004, 4:52 PM
I hate the mob mentality.

Yeah, mob-psychology is one of the worst things you can get yourself into, but there pretty much nothing you can do about it, even if you are normally reasonable. Hence the loss of Ash.

And like Geodude said, May never commanded Torchic to attack Ash, it just happened. Ash was mature enough to not let May down infront of the mob. Good judgement and overall funny episode.

Chris
12th December 2004, 7:58 PM
Plus in case any of you who are still flaming Haruka for that one, assuming she was at fault for Satoshi losing, just remember that Taillow saw the huge Ember fireball and flew up before the attack hit it, making Satoshi the new target. >_>

The Big Al
13th December 2004, 3:09 AM
The wall of flame would have gone right past Tailow and BBQ'ed Ash anyway. I don't see why he didn't dodge. He was like a deer caught in head lights.

Chris
13th December 2004, 3:34 AM
It went like this:

http://myuu.munkki.net/images/idol.jpg
First Ember attack hit the two of them. Notice how close the two are together.

http://myuu.munkki.net/images/idol2.jpg
Second Ember at full power and used repeatedly. Before this shot, Taillow flew up right before the flames hit.

Remember, Satoshi was tired. Taillow was not. Plus considering how fast the attack came in, Satoshi's fatigue wouldn't have allowed him to move in time.

The Big Al
13th December 2004, 5:49 AM
Why didn't May notice this? You'd think even she would notice that Tailow wasn't there.

Nameless
13th December 2004, 6:03 AM
Wasn't May going nuts with Torchic? She was like "gogogogogogogogogo"

Geodude
13th December 2004, 6:14 AM
Why didn't May notice this? You'd think even she would notice that Tailow wasn't there.
And that would've helped how? -_- The attack would already be in progress, there'd be nothing she could do. Think a little, huh?

Wasn't May going nuts with Torchic? She was like "gogogogogogogogogo"
Actually, what she said was: "Hinoko-hinoko-hinoko-hinoko-hinoko-hinoko!" (Hinoko = Ember.) She was just getting overexcited because of the crowd egging her on.

Chris
13th December 2004, 6:23 AM
Cause it dodged in the LAST MINUTE. She can't stop Ember if it's right there and Taillow just dodged. o_O

Hales
13th December 2004, 6:06 PM
We're still going with this argument? :)

I like the pictures that showed that Ash didn't stand a chance in heck of escaping from the Ember.

I also stand by my feeling sorry for Satoshi!

Gaadi
8th February 2005, 7:40 PM
If you all say May cheated, Then you must hate ash too, Ash used a charizard against a chikorita sometimes.

Lupin
8th February 2005, 7:55 PM
If you all say May cheated, Then you must hate ash too, Ash used a charizard against a chikorita sometimes.

That was a one off. And I think Ash was just trying to teach her a lesson.

Robert
9th March 2005, 9:55 PM
This was a good episode. It had some good humor and some good battles. I found it a bit strange that the May and Max disguises were convincing. Even in comparison to other disguises on the show, they seemed to be pushing it a lil'... Oh well. I liked the episode.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
9th March 2005, 10:43 PM
Meowth and Wobuffet weren't convincing in the SLIGHTEST. People really are getting stupider on the show. It's near impossible for a girl to actually shrink 2-3 feet, as any moron should know.
X.x;;. Chibi May overload! I can't even count how many times that Chibi picture popped up >.>. I hate it, now.
Those town people were downright snobs. You can be a fan without killing anyone who isn't. I'm quite glad Ash beat those little boys in the park.

Overall rating:
7.9 out of 10!!
A standard filler, IMO. I hope next week's is a bit better, however.

SC~ out

Heracross
11th March 2005, 3:32 AM
This was a very decent episode. Dub-wise I was extremely surprised how much original music was kept.o_O All the music during the battles was kept in-tact.:o The part when Satoshi is battling the kid with the Golduck, the battle between Satoshi and Haruka, and even when Musashi let out her Habunake, all kept their original scores. First "Gulpin it Down" and now this- I am definately liking this trend.^_^ I do wish they had kept the ending music the same, but I'm not going to complain much about that since the rest of the episode was handled so well.

Overall, it was a very humerous episode, and I enjoyed it a lot. The ending reminded me of "Showdown in Dark City" especially in the original version. Everyone is giving out compliments left and right, but they're really talking about Pikachu, not Satoshi.XD Satoshi even falls down behind Pikachu just like in said episode.

PDL
11th March 2005, 3:33 AM
I found the townsfolk quite amusing, they were so caught up in the norman craze that they lost their common sense and got lost in Norman-mania

and that sort of thing can always lead to something funny, even on this particular message board... Mob mentality can be both funny, but annoying at the same time :)

Medea
11th March 2005, 4:07 AM
Hehehehehe...:D very laughable throughout the whole episode!

Jesse GS the II
11th March 2005, 10:36 PM
Well, now that I've compared the Japanese version to the American version, all I can say is: holy crap, 4Kids actually KEPT the instrumental Japanese theme when Pikachu zaps Jessie and James' balloon! I never thought I'd hear that song on American TV!

In regards to the episode itself, it was pretty entertaining. Some nice high quality animation in several spots (it's nice to see crowds actually move as they cheer). I don't know what people are getting so worked up about in regards to the battle between May and Ash - Rose called it unfairly and the North Petalburgians kept screwing with Ash's head anyway, so it's obvious they were trying to make Ash lose and get May caught up in the moment. Jessie and James' Caroline and Norman disguises were actually really convincing - can't say the same for Meowth and Wobbuffet, but it just proves that the people of North Petalburg are a bunch of Norman-happy sheep who'll believe anything their shepherd tells them (regardless of whether or not it's really him, apparently).

In watching the Japanese episodes lately, I've tried to predict what certain dub lines will be in advance. Sadly, my two predictions for Ash - "Hey, do I go to your workplaces and boo?" and "I'll never understand this city" - never came true. Oh well, still a nice prologue to the next gym battle overall.

P.S. Chibi May = teh cuteness.

Blackcat88
11th March 2005, 10:39 PM
if someone was keeping track(and i bet someone is), then i would definetly advise them to put this episode in their list of "How Stupid are the People of the Pokemon World?". i think, if anything, the fact that the dude who said "yeah, i've known May and Max for a good deal of my adult life, and that's them!" while pointing to what's obviously a Wobuffet and a Meowth (dressed in drag, he he :) ) is what annoyed me the most. lordy are those people stupid.

and as stated before, the cheap battle and the mob got on my nerves too, but since i can't do anything about it, i won't dwell on it. But my god......don't these people have something to do other than drool over Norman? he was like their freaking god!

Sebok
11th March 2005, 11:21 PM
I might be the only one who noticed, but this is one of the few episodes where Team Rocket show they know what "the twerps" names are. The only question is, if they know their names, why don't they use them? "The Twerps" thing is getting kidna boring and unoriginal, doncha think?

Kamex
12th March 2005, 12:52 AM
Well...this episode, if any, would be a filler. But it was funny, I guess.

I agree that those townspeople were pretty dense to fall for Meowth & Wobbufet's costumes, but that was sort of funny.

Weird how everyone suddenly loves Norman...I mean, how much different than other gym leaders is he? He's not that big of a deal...

Although he's pretty cool. ^_^

Meh...this episode didn't attract my attention as much as I wanted it to, but it was okay. I'll give it yet another 7/10.

V Faction
12th March 2005, 4:41 AM
Well, now that I've compared the Japanese version to the American version, all I can say is: holy crap, 4Kids actually KEPT the instrumental Japanese theme when Pikachu zaps Jessie and James' balloon! I never thought I'd hear that song on American TV!
*scratches head* You mean Advance Adventure? They play that all the time...

aura500
12th March 2005, 4:47 AM
This was a good episode, the first bad ash had with grovle was great. but the only thing that disapointed me was when ash lost to may, if he had only trained taillow more. I will give it 8/10.

PDL
12th March 2005, 5:27 AM
technically, Taillow didn't even get hit by Torchic's attacks... if anything, it was landing more hits on Torchic (despite the taunts that Ash recieved from the crowd)

besides, even if Taillow did manage to defeat Torchic (fair and square mind you) chances are that Rose would have still declared May the winner by some false technicalliy of something...

Jesse GS the II
12th March 2005, 6:57 AM
*scratches head* You mean Advance Adventure? They play that all the time...

Well, I've never heard it before...of course, I've only seen about six dubbed episodes from Seasons 6 and 7, so that might be a contributing factor. Still, with the knowledge I had, it surprised me.

Squeaky Yugi
12th March 2005, 9:25 PM
The townspeople actually believed that all Max could say was "Wobba"? Isn't Wobuffett's Japanese name "Sonase" literally translating to "That's right" Meaning it would have been more believable in Japan. Still, a Max who always agrees with his sister? How could they not be suspicious? Also, in my opinion, the North Petalbugrites, ians, ese, whatevers, desevred to be ripped off if they could fall for a blue Max, and a May who's suddenly without her "maturing"

Almighty Zard
13th March 2005, 12:12 AM
I've got to say that i just saw this episode yesterday, and boy was it just plain weird, The way those boys were acting was uncalled for, and i am personally glad they got the snot kicked out of them. Overall until the Ash/May battle the episode was good, but after that it went down hill.

Neo Flygon
13th March 2005, 12:12 AM
Don't the people of North Petalburg get that Norman has to be challenged and lose occasionally. If Norman always wins then no one has the Balance Badge, and if no one has said badge how is there gonna be a Hoenn League Tournament. This is precisely why I prefer the Pocket-Monster Special Manga,
because in it people can actually use their brain

Professor Ivy
13th March 2005, 4:34 AM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/344.jpgPapa Is Idol!? False Gym Leader?!

Heading back to Petalburg City, Ash & Co. get swamped by people fawning over May & Max, the children of their town gym leader. However nearby, Team Rocket are posing as the family and causing trouble. Will they be stopped?

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/344.shtml)

Discuss
I never saw this epoisde because of 'District 11' offical name of it is
"FVA District 11 Music Performance Assessment" yeah it long to say.
So How was the epoisde?

Jesse GS the II
13th March 2005, 4:42 AM
Why don't you just read the reviews?

wobbanut
13th March 2005, 10:34 PM
OH. MY. GOD. This was the freakin' most hilarious episode of the season!!! :D There were so many great highlights of the episode:

-- May and Max becoming the first twerps other than Ash to be named by Team Rocket (I can't believe James is still the only one not to call a twerp by name)
-- May's "I'm winning I'm winning I'm winning I'm winning I'm winning..." :D I know in the original Japanese she just kept saying "ember", but I think it works better that she just did that once in the episode. Although I'm not a big fan of chibi, I think the chibi May the second time was cute. :)
-- The dumb-as-a-post neighbor that couldn't tell "May" and "Max" apart from the real thing. :D
-- Pikachu getting the accolades instead of Ash. Wow, that was a flashback to the old days ("The Purr-fect Hero").
-- Ash getting roasted. :D Okay, so that caused the infamous I-hate-May flamewar last year on this forum, which I remember all too well, but that was hilarious.

This episode was good enough to vault it into #4 on my all-time favorite episodes list (between "Dues and Don'ts" and "Address Unown". Not bad for an episode that got BBQ'd on the forum last year.

10/10

The_Mighty_Medicham
15th March 2005, 9:23 PM
Does anyone else think it was weird how Torchic used Ember but then it turned into something that looked suspiciously like Flamethrower?

Almighty Zard
16th March 2005, 5:40 AM
Does anyone else think it was weird how Torchic used Ember but then it turned into something that looked suspiciously like Flamethrower?

She used ember so much that the ember fire balls kinda ended merging into the flamethrower like stream.

Pokemon Fan
17th March 2005, 4:14 AM
Don't the people of North Petalburg get that Norman has to be challenged and lose occasionally. If Norman always wins then no one has the Balance Badge, and if no one has said badge how is there gonna be a Hoenn League Tournament. This is precisely why I prefer the Pocket-Monster Special Manga,
because in it people can actually use their brain
In it's defense it should be noted these townspeople were viewed as wierd and stupid by the other characters too. It was all really making fun of how crazy people can get over celebraties. Note how May cries out "This looks nothing like me!"

I liked Max's note near the beginning of the episode where he tells the others that the crowd doesn't really care about May or him, they just get attention because they're Norman's children.

The guy who "lived next door to the Norman family for most of his adult life" was obviously a pathetic fanboy who didn't know the family well at all. Norman probably filed a lawsuit or something to make him move away. There is a reason all these fans stay miles away from where Norman actually lives after all. ^_^

Sushi
20th March 2005, 12:05 AM
This episode was really good, in both, dub and original, versions. Wobbuffet dressed up as Max was just hilarious. And I liked the battle between Grovyle and Golduck, even if it was a bit short. It's always cool to see Grovyle battling =)
Grovyle's dub voice was giving me the creeps though ^^"

Silver Ryu
20th March 2005, 1:01 AM
And the moral of the story is...HERO WORSHIP MAKES YOU STUPID!!!

Anyone with half a brain can tell that those were Meowth and Wobbuffet! What were these people on? 0_o Well, it was funny.

Sharpshooter
31st March 2005, 8:40 AM
Yes people, it was a good episode because it was funny and had lots of humor in it, which is what I've been saying is the key ingredient to making these filler episodes like this one stand out.

In any case, I was hoping Ash would knock the stuffing out of all those trainers and he did, nice one! Shame no one ever gives him recognition, but that's what makes him a good character many respects, reminds of the good Kanto days where Ash was always the underdog, nice to see he still has some of that about him. May got a little bit lucky in her battle, although give credit to her torchic, that ember attack has really come of age since it was last used.

So because of the fact Norman's famous, and Ash is nobody in Petalburg, should make his upcomming match a good one.

DarkWobbuffet
31st March 2005, 9:31 AM
Pretty funny stuff in this episode. There's nothing more random then an angry mob, just watch most Simpsons or Fairly Oddparents episodes. XD

I really gotta appluade Ash and his team for beating all those trainers that attacked him. Despite the losses he's had during this arc, he's shown himself to be a lot tougher then he used to be in the early days.

James and Jessie pulled an excellent job looking like Norman and Caroline, and Meowth and Wobbuffet dressed as Haruka-san and Masato was hilarious.

Lotta Ash-bashing in this episode, but otherwise a good one.

Jo-Jo
31st March 2005, 11:29 AM
This episode was HILARIOUS! XD Although it did rather annoy me that the townspeoples never got their comeuppance. So sue me, I'm vindictive. ;) What really struck me, though, is how much Ash has changed over the course of the series. Can you imagine how he would have reacted if this ep had occurred during Kanto? O_o

vulpix
31st March 2005, 8:21 PM
now this episode had alot of humor in it.ithe #1 funniest thing in this episode it when tha towns people thought that Meowth was May and Wabaffet was Max.i mean come on.

Factory Head Noland
1st April 2005, 10:40 AM
This is one of the best episodes ever, it is just so funny. I loved it when Team Rocket dressed up as Norman, Caroline, May and Max.
I loved the battling aswell and when as soon as Ash was winning the crowd would boo at him.
Grovyle VS Golduck was great, Ash sure whooped that trainer's a*s! And all the other trainers!
Advanced Adventure was in this episode! Pikachu defeating Team Rocket with Quick Attack was good to see.
I think the crowds were funny, they would run all over town looking for the family, lol.

Overall 10/10, this episode is one of the best!

Torkoal Stu
4th April 2005, 7:35 PM
I love this ep. It was funny, cool and enteraining. But all thought this episode one word poped into my head OBBSESSION! Did anyone else think that? But Grovlye vs Golduck was cool. And heres a cool quote.

James(dressed as norman):Meowth stop running like a girl!
Meowth(dressed as may):I can't help it I knew I should of been Max!

lol I laughed forever when I heard that. Also i loved it when they couldn't tell Meowth and May apart and Max and Wobby apart. lol. A very good ep.

9/10!

Emma Iveli
28th May 2005, 1:28 AM
Note: I missed it when it first came out and missed again on it Friday encore it only now aired again.

I liked it, one of the funnier ones. I really loved Chibib-May so Kawaii! Does anyone have a pic of it?

WindyNight
28th May 2005, 2:21 AM
I love that episode. It's SO funny..
I like May's expressions in that episode...^^

Jonouchi
28th May 2005, 4:04 AM
I thought this was a poor episode. The battle between Ash and May was unfair and cheap, They couldn't remember EXACTLY what may and max looked like (despite the fact that they know them quite well), and is it just me, or did those kids who battled Ash plan this all along, because this felt as if they were up to something, don't you think? Overall, I didn't like the episode, because I hate people being booed/hated for no reason whatsoever, and I hate cheap and unfair battles, and don't ask why. Although Chibi May was kinda cute

4/10

I'm sorry, but this is not one of my favorite Hoenn episodes. I'm honest about my reviews and my opinions and I'm keeping them

Geki
16th August 2005, 2:42 AM
I liked the episode, mainly because May actually used her Torchic. It was a pitty that it was such a cheap fight, they neglect Taillow so much. Seeing Chibi May was pretty cool, but seeing the Imposter Team Rocket was even better.

8/10

Transducer
18th August 2005, 7:22 AM
Lol all the fans were idiots. Anyways I didn't like this ep much because of the way the people treated Ash while praising May and Max a lot. But in the end, it was Pikachu who got all the compliments while Ash got none. But meh, he was mature enough to keep quiet \=

Anyways I give this ep 6/10

Enigma
3rd September 2005, 12:44 AM
Is it just me, or is the show getting darker? I mean, in this episode, Ash is forced to battle endlessly, fight against one of his friends, and in that battle, he loses because he is torched in the face. Then, I also noticed a reporter yelled "What the Pokemon?" Pokemon substituting a curse word.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
7th September 2005, 9:20 PM
Lol all the fans were idiots. Anyways I didn't like this ep much because of the way the people treated Ash while praising May and Max a lot. But in the end, it was Pikachu who got all the compliments while Ash got none. But meh, he was mature enough to keep quiet \=

Anyways I give this ep 6/10

I agree with you on how they treated Ash. I think it was worse than Meg Griffin's treatment on Family Guy, not to mention blasphemous, especially beacuse Ash finished Top 16 in Indigo, Top 8 in Johto (and later Hoenn), and won the f&cking Orange League! I say he's as good as the New England Patriots, notice that his outfit has some, if not all of the team colors of the Patriots. And Ash has the most popular Pokemon, Pikachu.

As for rating, 6.75 out of 10.

CyberCubed
7th September 2005, 9:25 PM
This was an excellent episode. Some people just don't understand the point in "fanboys" which were what these townspeople were. This episode was meant to be humourous, not serious, which is why the battle wasn't taken seriously.

Too bad they don't make more episodes like this.

Shadowcat
9th September 2005, 5:31 AM
Excellent Episode. Though Wobbuffet was a funny Max. Overall an excellent and funny episode. Well, good things don't last forever Team Rocket. May Meowth was scary.

Dr. Sun
9th September 2005, 10:41 PM
I really enjoyed seeing Ash mop the floor with every single trainer in Petalburg City, myself. It just shows that Torkoal probably got plenty of action against worthy opponents, since it was as pooped out as the rest of Ash's pokemon. It was a distinct pleasure to see those arrogant snobs get the wind taken out of their sails; they were even worse than the worst examples of Princess Diana fans...

I really would have liked to see them about to lynch Ash for winning a Balance Badge in the next episode, only to have Norman tell them off for being unfair and unsportsmanlike. THAT would have shut them up.

P.S.: I'm sorry if I've offended anyone who likes Princess Diana. I have nothing against Diana herself, just some of her most obsessive fans.

P.P.S.: The way they treated Ash in this episode is completely different from the way everyone treats Meg on Family Guy. Meg actually deserves everything that happens to her. Ash doesn't.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
10th September 2005, 1:51 AM
I really enjoyed seeing Ash mop the floor with every single trainer in Petalburg City, myself. It just shows that Torkoal probably got plenty of action against worthy opponents, since it was as pooped out as the rest of Ash's pokemon. It was a distinct pleasure to see those arrogant snobs get the wind taken out of their sails; they were even worse than the worst examples of Princess Diana fans...

I really would have liked to see them about to lynch Ash for winning a Balance Badge in the next episode, only to have Norman tell them off for being unfair and unsportsmanlike. THAT would have shut them up.

P.S.: I'm sorry if I've offended anyone who likes Princess Diana. I have nothing against Diana herself, just some of her most obsessive fans.

P.P.S.: The way they treated Ash in this episode is completely different from the way everyone treats Meg on Family Guy. Meg actually deserves everything that happens to her. Ash doesn't.

Did I also mention that how they treated Ash was FUKKING BLASPHEMOUS?

Kabuto
17th February 2006, 11:25 PM
This episode was the worst Advanced Episode if not the worst Pokemon episode EVER. The May fight was pathetic and cheap. Ash never had his revenge on May in a battle even though he was given the perfect oppurtunity in "The Bicker the Better". It showed that May is/was a terrible trainer. Pretty pathetic even though I like May's character. I hated all of the Petalburg residents because they were idiots. Team Rocket's disguise was rather rubbish also. I'm so glad Torchic evolved, I was just about sick of it up to this point. 1/10 for me. So much build up on Petalburg city for this awful episode, a love episode, and a mediocre gym match.

Ashy Boy
8th June 2006, 12:36 PM
I feel really sorry for Ash for being constantly tormented by the locals of Petalburg (especially the reporter) simply because they only care about their idol Norman. WHAT A JOKE!!!!

Anaya
26th June 2006, 7:22 AM
Err this episode made me so mad! They were picking on Ash! But at least they got what they deserved and got their butts kicked!

Lord Ike
25th August 2006, 6:47 PM
I WISHED THIS EPISODE WAS NEVER CREATED! Okay yeah sure this episode started off okay up until Ash completely destroyed all of those trainers. It wasn't a fair fight because those trainers eavesdropping on a conversation that Ash had with Brock which they had no part in! So they go and challenge him which was all right since his party was at full health. However all he was doing was accepting challenges and trying his hardest, what was so snobby about that oh I know nothing. So while he was being crowded by new trainers that battled him, they old ones would just go over to the pokemon Center heal their pokemon and challenge him again! Then of course the first two trainers go into town square and lie about him saying he was mean and stuff. So then of course the townspeople force May to go battle him which was also bad since May competes in contests not battles. So Ash has a party of tired Pokemon while May has a team of healthy Pokemon. Then in a rigged match it's Tailow VS Torchic. So then May and unfair battle for the following reasons,
1. Torchic used Ember on Ash which should mean disqualification.
2. All Ash's Pokémon were tired from the literally hundreds of battles.
3. The crowd was booing him and breaking his concentration.
If only Brock was the referee, then the fight would have been fair and May would be disqualified. Then Team steals a pokemon again and in the end Pikachu blasts them off with a thunderbolt. So then for once the citizens actually give compliments but wait. When Ash says thanks they get mad at him saying the compliments were for Pikachu saying that it was strong and he was lazy and had nothing to do with it however he's the freakin trainer!

The only part that was good about this episode was that Jessie and James were in good disguises. This episode gets my vote for worst episode ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-INFINITY/10

Caseydia
23rd January 2007, 7:36 PM
This episode was just great all the way though. I haven't seen an angry mob on the show for a while, so this was entertaining. 10/10

AshfanGirl20
27th January 2007, 8:58 AM
I hate....Hate....Hate this episode.....May accepting the win was just as bad as the crowd booing Ash. Ash would have freakin won if that stupid crowd hadn't bood him and May cheated, gurr. The only fun thing about this episode was seeing Ash battle a lot and teaming with his Pokemon. Also seeing Team Rocket dressed as May and Max and her parents were funny. But yah I hate this episode, one of the reasons why I'm an anti May fan. Forgot about this one for a while than that other episode the Biker the Bitter aired mad me hate May more. Bah...I'm done, rant out.

pokeguru
3rd October 2008, 7:10 AM
The reason those fans of Norm, Carol, may and Max insulted Ash is because, in reality, they really like him. Or am I wrong?

Tadashi
9th October 2008, 2:58 AM
I crack up when I think that Meowth and Wobbuffet were dressed as May and Max, respectively. What I didn't enjoy was Ash getting booed every time he got a hit on May's Pokemon D:

Funny episode all the same ^^

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 7:04 AM
Not a very good episode. Just a filler that made no sense. It was cool to see Jessia and James dressed like that, though,

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 12:48 PM
it was fun to see how team rocket were dressed like the family of may, i had to luagh when i first saw that.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 3:12 AM
Wobby as Max and Meowth as May...thats just so funny

Shinnie-tan
7th June 2009, 4:12 PM
Rewatching this episode was something...special. Hilarious, yes but I still wanted to whack the crazy fans over the head with something heavy. Although the crazy lady gave the win to May, Ash really showed his stuff in his episode by defeating legions of trainers with the same pokemon over and over- seriously, although it was a bad situation for him, you can't deny he was all sorts of awesome. The fact that he still hand Taillow fresh for battling was even more awesome, showing that he had been slaughtering trainer after trainer with only four pokemon and those pokemon didn't even get hurt during the battles, just worn out.

A pity it was never acknowledged but hey, awesome nevertheless. Kanto!Ash--hell, Johto!Ash wouldn't have been able to have done that without snapping in a fit of anger or allowing his head to be messed up during the battle due to the taunts of the crowds.

A little surprised and disappointed the whole incident was brushed off though- I can understand Ash, since he's all cheerful and forgiving like that but when they walked away with May saying nothing and Max not even prodding her to apologise was a bit of a downer. Oh well, an amusing episode either way.

danparker
21st August 2009, 6:29 AM
I remember this episode 4 years ago. It was cool and funny. The way Ash was made into a jerk, even though it wasn't true. And Meowth and Wobuffet's disguise were hilarious. I say there was "Confusion and Delay" in this episode.

CyberCubed
30th September 2009, 7:16 AM
I randomly rewatched this ep, absolutely hilarious. LMAO @ the people who get upset that the townspeople were anti-Ash.

Great episode with tons of humor.

Ash-kid
16th December 2009, 4:59 PM
I loved the battle between Grovyle and Golduck.

and all the people hated Ash, he was so angry...

6/10

NES
3rd March 2010, 8:50 AM
Wonderful episode, i know i shouldn't care but how in the world they can mistake May for a Meowth, and same for Max. It was part of the fun though.

The townsfolk are insane! They really love Norman and their family, i never seen a town so mean at Ash, it was hilarious they kept sending out pokemon to battle him, he was wore out at his battle against May, it was fun how she got carried away too!

Willow's Tara
8th May 2010, 7:23 AM
I vote Petalburg as the town with the most dumbest people in the anime world.
Seriously how in the world could they even think Meowth/Wobbafeut wasn't May/Max, they really need glasses.

As for the hating ground I am so glad Ash pwned every last one of those trainers. They deserved everything they get. Obivously they don't know the Gym rules, anyone is allowed to challenge any Gym leader they want (Aleast Norman wasn't like Erika, although those people acted like Erika's people). Those people deserved to get tricked by TR and pwned by Ash.

saar
5th July 2010, 11:15 AM
It was actually a Team Rocket episode and I love them. Usually, but this one wasn't that good.
The most screentime went to Ash and May's problems, and that's why Team Rocket haven't got the screentime they were supposed to get. But Petalburg city is very nice.

KGB13
9th August 2010, 8:19 AM
I liked how everyone was battling Ash and how the whole city was full of crazed Norman fans, it was too funny!

This was really a great episode.

Sayho1234
25th September 2010, 8:58 AM
LMAO, this episode was absolutely hilarious from beginning to end :p. I have no idea why it's rated so low?

Lorde
16th November 2010, 10:12 PM
Amazing episode to be honest, even if it did seem like Filler at first. While everyone was on their way to Petalburg City, they suddenly stopped at North Petalburg City and we got to see the people in the city act like paparazzi and start interviewing May and Max since apparently, their father was famous? Well, he sort of is, in Petalburg City though. I loved seeing Team Rocket pose as Norman, Caroline, May and Max since Meowth was dressed as May and Wobbuffet was Max lol. It was funnier that people thought they were the genuine article too. We got to see Ash battle against some of the people there and then May and Max caught up to Team Rocket and saw that Meowth and Wobbuffet dressed as them which was funny to see. I think this was a comedic relief episode, and it really did the trick. 8/10.

RocketTwurpSLR
20th February 2011, 12:32 AM
i absolutlly love this epiosose mainly becuse when i first watched it when i was 12 i laughed all the way through the epiosode for the whole 22 minutes plus the adverts in between. BLOOMING TRio makes me laugh

G50
4th March 2011, 6:43 AM
This episode was ok... The disguises TR used of Norman, Caroline, Max and May were all really bizarre... Grovyle against Golduck was a really cool battle. It was so bizarre how no one could tell those disguises were fake. This episode was really hilarious, so many funny moments.

32/100

CliveKoopa
11th September 2011, 1:12 PM
This episode was great and funny. I was a bit annoyed at all those locals though. Ash should have cared more for his pokemon also refusing to battle trainer after traiiner telling them point-blank that his pokemon need rest. I thought it was very irresponsible of those trainers to force Ash into repeated battles when his pokemon were clearly exhausted.

Caseydia
16th November 2011, 11:13 PM
I hope an episode like this doesn't get put in Best Wishes when we get to the last gym. Screwing Ash has been the writers strong points since all this began, so something like this is good for training but not for the weakling who's Pokemon barely battles.

Bulba the Great!
5th April 2012, 4:17 AM
"D. Dunstan" the reporter, eh? I wonder who voiced him? :P

VERY enjoyable episode. I thoroughly enjoyed Ash vs. everybody. That needs to happen more often.

Vernikova
8th July 2012, 2:28 AM
It was a funny episode but it wasn't amazing or anything. It's certainly an improvement over the last couple of episodes. The town's people were pretty annoying but I did find May's match against Ash to be pretty humorous if nothing else.

TheSirPeras
16th July 2012, 1:11 AM
This was definitely an amusing and funny episode. Ash really made this episode quite funny with all those battles, and TR disguised looked pretty real if it wasn't for Wobbufett, Meowth, and their eyes XD

Sayho1234
10th September 2012, 4:23 PM
This episode was Team Rocket at their trolling best XD.

7threst
29th September 2012, 6:58 PM
This episode was hilarious with all these "fanboys" going all over Ash and Brock and worshipping May and Max. I also really enjoyed Team Rocket in masquerading as the Norman's. This episode was meant as comical relief and it surely did that in my opinion.

MidnightMelody
8th January 2013, 1:48 AM
This was a fun episode. Those silly fans lol

moneylesswario
13th January 2013, 3:37 PM
This episode sucked, ro be honest, the fanboys were annoying as hell, so was May.

CyberCubed
13th January 2013, 3:48 PM
This episode sucked, ro be honest, the fanboys were annoying as hell, so was May.

This episode was hilarious, its called having a sense of humor. Watching Ash prove all those fanboys wrong with his battle skills was great.

moneylesswario
13th January 2013, 4:36 PM
I have a sense of humor, this was just unfunny. It was great to see him prove them wrong, but they WOULD NOT shut up, Ash had to sudfer while the others got off scot free.

~marioluigifan05

CyberCubed
13th January 2013, 4:41 PM
I have a sense of humor, this was just unfunny. It was great to see him prove them wrong, but they WOULD NOT shut up, Ash had to sudfer while the others got off scot free.

~marioluigifan05

Again, it's called dramatic irony. We knew Ash was a strong trainer and the townspeople were nuts.

Look at the reviews in this thread before yours, everyone else found it funny because we understood what the point was.

moneylesswario
13th January 2013, 4:47 PM
I saw just as many who hated it as those wgo enjoyed it.

Its not funny to see the innocent get punished without redemption or anything.

Another thing: TR disguises were probably some of the worst in the series, they didnteven try

~marioluigifan05

CyberCubed
13th January 2013, 4:49 PM

Another thing: TR disguises were probably some of the worst in the series, they didnteven try

~marioluigifan05

You're joking, right? If this is the episode where TR dressed up as May's family it was hilarious.

And if you think these disguises were bad you haven't seen their terrible ones in many other fillers.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)
13th January 2013, 4:49 PM

~marioluigifan05

When did team rocket every try with there diguises? plus why would they? ash wouldn't have noticed them regardless

Also.. did you just sign your post? :}

moneylesswario
13th January 2013, 4:57 PM
The disguises were FUNNY, but not convincing. They use much worse ones later on, but at the time this aired, they were almost unrivaled in terms of convincability (I cant spell).

They tried back in OI.

~marioluigifan05

CyberCubed
13th January 2013, 6:00 PM
The disguises were FUNNY, but not convincing. They use much worse ones later on, but at the time this aired, they were almost unrivaled in terms of convincability (I cant spell).

They tried back in OI.

~marioluigifan05

Jessie and James looked exactly like Norman and Caroline.

moneylesswario
13th January 2013, 8:47 PM
Jessie and James looked exactly like Norman and Caroline.

I was referring to Meowth and Wobbuffet, those were awful.

~marioluigifan05

CyberCubed
13th January 2013, 9:05 PM
I was referring to Meowth and Wobbuffet, those were awful.

~marioluigifan05

It's supposed to be funny. Meowth and Wobbufett looking like May and Max was amusing.

Meowth also dressed as many other short people and girls in the show. It's quite funny to see it pulled off.

Brownie
15th March 2013, 9:00 PM
A Double Dilemma

I really was looking forward to this episode when I read the summary…I really was. But then I watched it…

This episode begins with Ash and co. arriving at a town filled with annoying May and Max fanboys/girls. It starts off okay, with May and Max being piled on by the crowd, but then once Ash shows his badges and announces that he wants to challenge Norman, it all goes downhill from there. What follows is 15+ minutes of Ash torture. This kinda reminds me of the Avatar Day episode from Avatar: The Last Airbender (which is the main reason I wanted to watch it so badly), but whereas the Avatar Day episode was funny, and had a good ending, this was the exact opposite. Most of the humor in this episode derives from Ash bashing, which is one of the lowest forms of comedy. Avatar Day had Aang bashing, too (sort of), but at least it was explained. In this episode, there's no rhyme or reason.

Meanwhile, Team Rocket (and Wobbuffet) disguises themselves as the Maple family. The human disguises are decent, but the Pokemon disguises aren’t. It wouldn’t be so bad if FANBOYS/GIRLS could recognize them, but no, they don’t. Anyway, back to Ash. The whole town decides that he’s not worthy of battling their “pwecious” Norman (wouldn’t fanboys/girls want to see their idol ‘crush’ Ash?), so one guy with a Golduck challenges him, and loses. Then a bunch of other people challenge him, and also lose. The old lady then gets MAY to challenge him, and since most of his Pokemon are tired out (and they won’t even give him the time to heal them), he is forced to use Taillow. Ash is doing good, but then May spams Torchic’s Ember, and it hits…Ash. This declares May the winner, which is stupid.

To finally put an end to this episode, Team Rocket gets exposed, Ash has Pikachu beat them, and it looks like the townspeople have finally gained respect for him…but then they praise Pikachu, and STILL brush Ash off. What happens next? Like in most other episodes, they just head off to the next town, without even so much as an apology from EITHER May and/or any of the townspeople.

Worst. Episode. Ever!

Who the Pokemon greenlit this episode (reference to a lame line from the same episode)? This is a disgrace – to BOTH Pokemon AND Avatar: The Last Airbender!

Side note: Isn't it ironic that the episode with the initials "ADD" is the one I can't sit through?

Painkiller2001
5th November 2014, 6:30 AM
Just like in 'Will The Real Professor Oak Please Stand Up?', Jessie and James pull off a really good imitation of Norman and Caroline. :)

Something I found odd about this episode was that they were in North Petalburg City, but the announcer said at the end that they were on their way to Petalburg City.
Technically, they were already there, Mr. Announcer.

Also, are people really getting upset at the battle earlier in the episode? A battle that wasn't meant to be taken that seriously?