PDA

View Full Version : Love, Petalburg Style! (345)

Serebii
23rd October 2004, 3:44 PM
http://www.serebii.net/anime/NextOn/345.jpgLove, Petalburg Style!

Back in Petalburg City, May & Max discover that their parents are having a fight and that their mom thinks Norman is having an affair with the local Nurse Joy. Will May & Max get to the bottom of this>

Visit The Episode Guide (http://www.serebii.net/anime/epiguide/houen/345.shtml)

Discuss

Hales
24th November 2004, 11:21 AM
Okay I was wondering why Norman was so mad at the end of the episode, I know it was mainly because TR upset his fireworks display (romance *sigh*)

I thought he'd be more mad that Ash was alone battling TR without much assistance :)

Sounds like a great episode.

Space Skitty
25th November 2004, 9:00 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this episode in America. I've never seen Caroline get angry before. This episode sounds good!

King Shuckle
4th December 2004, 2:21 AM
My Dub Guesses, Interesting episode. I wonder if it could get banned
The Passion for Joy

Thats All I can think of.

Space Skitty
11th December 2004, 6:46 PM
"The Passion For Joy" does sound good, King Shuckle! Another dub-title I thought of was "Drawing the Caroline" based off of the saying "drawing the line."

I can't wait for this episode! =D

Torkoal Stu
23rd December 2004, 9:29 AM
I wonder if it could get banned

i doubt that because it is not like his was having an affair. but it could be edited because in "showdown in pewter city" in the japenese version both of brocks parents left him to raise his brothers and sisters but 4kids didn't like him having 2 dead beat parents so they say she died so they will probably say that she was just jelous.

Raize
3rd January 2005, 1:37 AM
Same, I don't really think it will be banned. I want to see this episode it doesn't seem half bad I'll be waiting to see this episode of course!

Torkoal Stu
14th January 2005, 10:12 AM
My Dub Guesses, Interesting episode. I wonder if it could get banned
The Passion for Joy

Thats All I can think of.

that sounds good, that most likely what it is gonna be but you will find out sooon! a few weeks

Sequoia
14th January 2005, 10:31 AM
hmmm...its actually an exciting episode, but boring too...who would actually believe Norman loves anyone else???

Shiny May
16th January 2005, 2:10 AM
a good episode, truly great to see how Max and Max are upset about their parents and the Beautifly thing is sweet too !!! :D Slaking really looks great in this episode !! I think Ash really got a strong impression of Slaking now. A good episode, I love the way the mother was mad at the beginning of the episode. Especially when Haruka mentioned Beautifly's name !! :)

ChaosMage
16th January 2005, 9:33 AM
Expected Dub Title: Back to Norman! (Back to Normal, since Norman is a play on Normal, something along these lines in expected)

Medea
12th February 2005, 8:39 PM
Though I am kind of bugged that this is the third episode with the Love...Style in the title, I am looking forward to having this air. I have seen the pictures and read the synopsis, and it sounds like a great episode:D

Jo-Jo
12th February 2005, 9:20 PM
So was Norman actually having an affair with Joy, or was Caroline just mistaken? O_o

Shiny May
12th February 2005, 9:22 PM
Norman was not having an affair, he was arranging fireworks for his wife
Caroline just became jealous I think because of rumors in town. But I'm not sure about that, perhaps some confirmation.
But Norman did not cheat on his wife, Joy was only there for the fireworks

marilldude
13th February 2005, 2:59 AM
I really hope they don't ban this one too. I find it so stupid that this is the third episode where it's like Love...Style. The dubbers must be out of ideas. Stupid dubbers.

Murgatroyd
13th February 2005, 3:29 AM
The dub title has been announced because the episode will be aired soon. That means that it has NOT been, and will not be, banned.

CyberCubed
13th February 2005, 3:51 AM
I really hope they don't ban this one too. I find it so stupid that this is the third episode where it's like Love...Style. The dubbers must be out of ideas. Stupid dubbers.

The episode title puns being redudant became apparent when Johto was being dubbed.

jolteonjak
13th February 2005, 4:49 AM
I'll bite...

There's Love Totodile Style and this one. What's the other one?

Swellow
13th February 2005, 5:36 AM
Love, Pokemon Style when Squirtle Returned in the Silver Convention

jolteonjak
13th February 2005, 8:13 PM
Gotcha...thank you. Yah, that's getting a bit overused. Think they still have time to realize this?

I liked Space Skitty's example of "Drawing the Caroline."

Space Skitty
13th February 2005, 9:33 PM
I liked Space Skitty's example of "Drawing the Caroline."

Thanks! =)

I think the "Love... Style" IS getting a bit overused. But the title won't hurt the quality of the episode any so it'll still be a great episode. I've waiting for this one for months! I'm glad it didn't get banned.

≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈
12th March 2005, 4:37 PM
Wow. This was a pretty good episode, and it more than makes up for last week's, IMO. Great intro for Slaking and Slakoth. Slakoth was pretty darn cute in this episode. Slaking was quite cool when it fought TR, and the music was excellent. Norman and Kenny had great dub voices, IMO, as did Caroline. It's nice to see a family reunion here. It was handled quite well, too.
Fav. quote:
"This could be bad!"
"Brock knows what he's doing!"
"But he calls himself the Love Doctor!"
ROFL! Plus, his first glance at Nurse Joy was hilarious. He went positively crazy!

Overall rating:
9.0 out of 10!!!
A great Before-the-Gym episode. Next week's episode looks pretty promising, too.

SC~ out

CyberCubed
12th March 2005, 4:37 PM
Caroline has to be the best looking mother on the show. I can see where May gets her good looks from, her mother is a knock out!

This episode was pretty good, the "affair" was hilarious. Especially Norman trying to play dumb near the end of the episode, especially with Caroline holding her suitcase.

Ash was really terrible against Team Rocket today, the hell? Seviper and Cacnea were beating Pikachu easily, and Ash even had to retreat a bit. I guess it was to allow Slaking to blast them off.

I was a bit disappointed that May didn't show her parents her ribbons, does she do so in the next ep? They were a bit distracted in this episode, but does May ever show her parents her new pokes, and tell them she's a coordinator?

Also nice to see Max's devotion to his father, and how he's his hero. That was a great line for Max. May seemed to side more with her mother, I also liked how May is still torn on who she wants to win the GYM battle, either Ash or her father.

V Faction
12th March 2005, 4:38 PM
Great episode (was there any doubt?)

-A LOT of voices changes this time.

Caroline: Obvious because Megan left. This is a change I'm glad about, because the previous was just a stale voice.

Norman: Another good change. Much lighter this time. No doubt this was to differentiate him from Prof. Birch.

Vigoroth: Made it sound less... uh.. "Dan Green"ish.

Slakoth: Had a new voice altogether. I rather liked the old one. Other would've have probably hated though.

And I loved the dialouge used. Also, notice how Norman turns all Yami Yugi on us when he gets mad.

Pinky the Mew
12th March 2005, 4:40 PM
This was a very funny episode I 'd never thought that Norman was as thick as Ash. XD!
However, Slaking rocked!! That Gorilla was awsome! It's too bad it's a frustrating pokemon to train in real life. As it is to battle too!

Great episode 9/10!

Torkoal Stu
12th March 2005, 4:42 PM
How were the dub voices?

V Faction
12th March 2005, 4:46 PM
Norman: May, what problem are you talking about?
May: Oh, Dad... euh..
Caroline: Norman!
Both: AH! IT'S MOM!
Norman: Dear, what's wrong? Where are you going with that suitcase?
Caroline: I'm going anywhere but here!
Both: Auh!
Norman: Caroline! ....Well, do you need any help with your luggage?
ALL: AUGH!
Kenny: Listen up! She's leaving!
Norman: ...Right. I'm just wondering where she's going.
Caroline: I just told you, ANYWHERE but here!
Norman: Ok, I guess that means you'll be handling the kitchen detail, Kenny..
ALL: AUGH! HOW CAN YOU BE SO DENSE!
Brock: Not everyone can understand women...
Kenny: What do I have to do!? Draw you a map!?
Norman: Ok! That could be helpful.

Pinky the Mew
12th March 2005, 4:48 PM
The dubs were great and accurate to the characters personally and appearance.
However I did noticed something.... Meowth's voice during his day-dreams sounded like another charater completly this time! Does the players voice do other characters as well?

CyberCubed
12th March 2005, 4:48 PM
I noticed a mistake in this episode. Why did Caroline and Norman say to Brock "it's nice meeting you again?".

Brock NEVER met Norman and Caroline face to face before. When Brock rejoined the group this was already after Ash and May left Petalburg and picked up Max.

Sharpshooter
12th March 2005, 4:54 PM
According to Dogasu, the dub version used digital paint to edit Norman's blushing in the pokémon center, which shows that even though they didn't ban it, 4kids still were very strict on the supposed "adultery" aspect of it.

Frost
12th March 2005, 4:55 PM
Is it just me or did Caroline say "Good lord" sometime around the battle with Team Rocket? Maybe "Good word?" I didn't hear her clearly during that line.

And you could see that they were dancing around the issue of flat-out saying Norman was "having an affair," and it was really obvious, but otherwise, the episode fared well.

V Faction
12th March 2005, 4:57 PM
According to Dogasu, the dub version used digital paint to edit Norman's blushing in the pokémon center, which shows that even though they didn't ban it, 4kids still were very strict on the supposed "adultery" aspect of it.
Jeeze, as if we didn't pick that up with all the "You didn't!" and "How could you!" and "Doctor Loooove!" lines. Really, what did people expect? To have them come right out and say they thought Norman was getting his groove on with Nurse Joy?

Nothing against Dogasu though, I guess. 'Spose he's just doing his thing.

CyberCubed
12th March 2005, 4:59 PM
In the Japanese version did anyone outright say "Norman is having an affair" and the like?

Hopefully Dogasu will have his episode comparison up as soon as possible, it'll be interesting to see what kind of dialouge changes there were. But from what I can tell it seems minimal.

The Big Al
12th March 2005, 5:03 PM
Last week's epi was so bad I turned it off and watched the Maury show when they reaired it. (I told you to was horrible.)

This more than made for it. I'm glad they didn't ban this, it one of the few times I'm glad I'm wrong.

Anyone else notice the medical cross on Nurse Joy's cap was yellow instead of Aqua?

I especially loved when Norman didn't get why Caroline was so angry. Nothing like Marathon face faults.

8.7 out of 10

Gravy
12th March 2005, 5:07 PM
Heh, and as I recall, quite a few people were going around saying that this episode would go completely untouched concerning the 'affair'.
I'd point at them and say "I told ya so!" for their incorrect assumption, but I'm not that kinda guy~
Kinda odd how crap like the Cramp Twins can have this sort of stuff mentioned on more than one occassion, yet Pokémon can't...*shrugs* Pfft, censors. Go figure, ne?

Overall, it still sounds like it was handled pretty well despite the changes. The conversation that V Faction posted had me in stitches. I actually wouldn't mind getting up at 8 in the morning to watch this if most of the episode followed suit.

The Big Al
12th March 2005, 5:24 PM
Not to mention earlier in the series they were allowed to do things that they can't now. I swear, there is some evil out to destroy anime. It must be stopped.

CyberCubed
12th March 2005, 5:48 PM
Pokemon also used to be 4kids' only anime, so they had a lot more time to work on it then they do now.

Medea
12th March 2005, 6:13 PM
Is it just me or did Caroline say "Good lord" sometime around the battle with Team Rocket? Maybe "Good word?" I didn't hear her clearly during that line.
Yes I did notice that too...Hmm, I wonder! I'll have to check on that.
Well anyways, I still liked this episode!

Space Skitty
12th March 2005, 6:27 PM
This episode was great! I really liked it a lot. It had so many funny parts on it. Norman isn't too bright, eh? Max must've gotten his cleverness from his mother. XD Speaking of which, I'm glad Caroline got some recognizition as a character on this episode. She could've been just known as "Norman's wife" or "May & Max's mother" but the writers actually gave her more of a role then just that. That's a good thing; she's a cool character. I think Norman & Caroline deserve to be on more episodes in the future. Overall, this was a great episode.

Dogasu
12th March 2005, 7:12 PM
I'm about halfway through with my comparison. I'm going to go grab some lunch and then be back to finish the rest of it.

The only reason it's taking as long as it is is because dialogue edits always take me the longest to record.

onix lord
12th March 2005, 7:18 PM
I liked this episode alot! Slaking is awesome when it's awake! The battle between Norman and Ash is definitley gonna be one worth watching.

Revolutionary Destiny
12th March 2005, 8:02 PM
Well, I was watching this episode with captions (like I always do with new episodes) and according to the captions, Caroline did "Good Lord." I thought it was very interesting since in cartoons, they usually don't say stuff like "Oh my God" or anything else using the lord's name.

Anyways, it was really funny when Norman was playing dumb at the pokemon center ("Do you want me to draw you a map?" "Ok, that would be helpful!"). I also thought it was sort of weird how calmly Ash told Norman that Team Rocket were trying to steal his pokemon. Usually in a situation like that, he says it in a really angry tone. One thing that confused me was how Norman and Caroline knew Brock before this episode since the last time we were at Norman's gym, the only people traveling were Ash and May (then later on, Max). Maybe May and Max introduced him in an off-screen videophone conversation? I also liked this Team Rocket quote:

Meowth (referring to Jessie and James): "They're dumb and dumber. What does that make me?"
Jessie and James: "Dumber-er"

One of the best episodes: 10/10

Geodude
12th March 2005, 8:34 PM
Why is everyone asking how Norman and Caroline knew Brock? PokeStar, you just answered your own question. Sure, on their first time through Petalburg, Brock wasn't with them, he caught up to them later. So Brock obviously had to do some tracking. Isn't it logical then, that he would have stopped at significant locations along the way and ask if they'd seen Ash? No doubt the Petalburg Gym was one of those spots.

Pokeballs
13th March 2005, 1:36 AM
Yes, i believe they mentioned Brock stopping by Petalburg Gym before he met up w/ Ash again. I think Brock even said so in "You Can Never Taillow."

The Big Al
13th March 2005, 2:23 AM
Another priceless quote

Kenny: She's gonna blow!

XD

Professor Ivy
13th March 2005, 4:17 AM

Yeah i like this esopdose day. I though Naroman, voice voiced different caroline no.
and my fave. quote.

Ash: Yeah there steal you pokemon norman. :386-s:

Professor Ivy
13th March 2005, 4:18 AM

Yeah i like this esopdose day. I though Naroman, voice voiced different caroline no.
and my fave. quote.

Ash: Yeah there steal you pokemon norman. :386-s:

wobbanut
13th March 2005, 10:42 PM
I think it was kind of interesting how the episode kept dancing around the "A" word (affair). They kept in enough drama, but I had no doubt that affairs would be a very touchy subject for a kid show. I like the way the dub handled things, though. They touched enough on what was supposedly going on and how such a thing would feel without using the dreaded word affair.

The ending was definitely the best part of the episode. Norman and Caroline were really so sweet during that part. :) I also liked Team Rocket going over "stupid/stupider/stupidest". :) The episode could have easily made my list of top favorites, if it hadn't been for one very obvious flaw: BROCK WASN'T IN "There's No Place Like Hoenn"!!! It's not the first time that kind of mistake's been made, either! Otherwise, it was an excellent episode.

9.9/10

PDL
13th March 2005, 11:23 PM
oh yes, TR's "dumb/dumber/dumberer/dumbest" diolouge was amusing... as was Norman trying to play completely clueless

all in all, it was a great episode...

MayAsh1987
14th March 2005, 3:50 AM
I really enjoyed this episode. I like the way Norman played dumb with Caroline when he doesn't get the hint she's leaving, that was funny to me. In a way, Norman kind acted like Ash to me. The way doesn't get what's going on. My favorite part in that episode was when Max was telling how his dad was his hero. That really touched me, and I felt emotional because that is how I really look up to my papi.

Almighty Zard
14th March 2005, 4:03 AM
man i missed the second half of the episode, and was really looking forward to what Max said about the upcoming gym battle. did he say anything about ash not standing a chance or what.

Heracross
14th March 2005, 4:23 AM
This was a pretty good episode. It had planty of comedy as well as some romance, which really goes without saying given the dub title.:P

Speaking of the dub, it wasn't bad. They didn't keep as much original music as I had hoped (big surprise), but they did keep it when the Rocket-dan send out their pokémon and try to capture Namakero, Yarukimono, and Kekkingu, and when Senri gets mad at them and sends them flying with Kekkingu, so at least some of it was retained.

The best part of the episode was when they kept bringing up Norman around Caroline, or saying things that reminded her of him, and then Kenny would run around frantically and try to change the subject.XD

Kamex
15th March 2005, 4:19 AM
Ah, this was a good episode. But the whole thing about beating around the bush on just coming out directly and saying "affair" was strange. If I hadn't known anything about the supposed "affair" in this episode, I might have been confused at first. But it's nice that they didn't totally change that part of the plot.

Norman's ignorance of Caroline leaving was funny. And it looks like his voice became lighter. From mostly Yami-ish to mostly Yugi-ish (I think someone said that already).

Speaking of voices changing, I don't think anybody mentioned this yet. But did anybody else besides me notice, in the beginning of the episode, when Ash was walking into the Pokemon Center, that his voice was a little different? It was a bit lower, I think. Well, it was only temporary, but...

I'll give this episode an 8/10.

Edit: Oh, and Caroline's voice ended up being even better than Megan Hollingshead's version of it. Now let's just cross our fingers for Cassidy...

Pika Hikari KT
17th March 2005, 4:03 AM
Click the link to my LJ and scroll down until you find an entry titled 'Goku vs. Chi-Chi--Pokémon Style!' There's my recap of the episode.(Okay, there's my shameless LJ plug, moving right along...) I thought Slakoth sounded SO KAWAII it wasn't funny. Slaking's voice was alright. I had a bit of trouble writing the review 'cause of the affair thing, but I worked it in anyway.^_^; Next week's episode should be a blast to watch! 6/10 for this eppie.

Pokemon Fan
17th March 2005, 4:56 AM
*terribly inaccurate information deleted, see next post*

<><><>

On another note, I wonder if the anime is following the games a bit in regards to Seviper's Poison Tail. In the games it has a basic mid range power like most moves, but it also varies a bit like Present. It can be fairy weak, all the way up to the strongest Poison Attack of all (even stronger than Sludge Bomb). Certainly the strength of this attack varies wildly between and even within episodes, so I bet that the one that blew apart the wall was one of the stronger Poison Tail levels. As James said in that scene, "I don't know what just happened but I'll go with it!" or something like that.

And yeah, Ash's voice sounded deeper several times in the episode, which is all well and good I say. It sounded a bit more mature that way, like it should.

Dogasu
17th March 2005, 6:22 AM
In "You never can Taillow" Brock SPECIFICALLY says he stopped by Petalburg and visited with May and Max's parents, who then showed him where to go to catch up with the group. There was NO dub error, just ACTUAL CONTINUITY.

Really? Because when I broke out my DVD with this episode on it, this is what I found:

Ash: "So Brock, what are you doing out here? I thought you were gonna go home."
Brock: "I did go home and everything's fine, so I decided to come back out. Then Professor Birch told me you were headed to Rustboro City, so I decided to come out here and see if I could find ya."

Takeshi says the same thing in the Japanese version.

Pokemon Fan
17th March 2005, 4:22 PM
Really? Because when I broke out my DVD with this episode on it, this is what I found:

Ash: "So Brock, what are you doing out here? I thought you were gonna go home."
Brock: "I did go home and everything's fine, so I decided to come back out. Then Professor Birch told me you were headed to Rustboro City, so I decided to come out here and see if I could find ya."

Takeshi says the same thing in the Japanese version.
*recoils in terrible shame and embarrassment, shrinks into dark corner, circles ground with finger and whimpers for a while*

Ahem, I actually started having doubts this morning and watched the episode myself on DVD, being horrified to find out the truth. Alas, sharper people than I have already caught this terrible error. It's very odd, I was so certain and normally my memory is right on. I must have gotten mixed up with what Nicolai told them in his episode.

Ah well, mistakes happen, thank you for pointing it out. ^_^

Robert
18th March 2005, 9:20 PM
This was a good episode. I liked how they were able to keep some drama and romance with some really good humor. Norman's voice... I think it's a bit too high... And I'm not a huge fan of the dub title... Sounds kind of dirty to me... 0__o Oh well, still a great episode. ^__^

Yama~
18th March 2005, 11:58 PM
Wow, for having missed the episodes the past few weeks thanks ta other stuff, I really enjoyed this! ^_^ The whole 'affair' thing was cleverly delt with- I was glad to see some real human emotion in Pokemon, as opposed to the characteristic 'we must all be happy and/or lame because this is a kids show!' Okay, so maybe I haven't TOTALLY given up on the new writers. ^_^;

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this before, though- Brock was going on and on to Norman in the PKMN center about how he was supposed to be faithful to his wife and how he made a promise to her and stuff... and then he asks Joy's opinion.

Did she not say "^_^;;; Awkward!" right before he was pulled away?

Because I sure thought she did. XD And I was laughing pretty hard. Cute dialogue in this ep, for sure.

On a side note, this episode made me want a hug from a Vigaroth. o_o When Max walked up to it and hugged it, I was like "ME NEXT! ;_;" Hehe.

Oh, and:

Edit: Oh, and Caroline's voice ended up being even better than Megan Hollingshead's version of it. Now let's just cross our fingers for Cassidy...

If they change Cassidy's voice I will CRY. C. R. Y. @_@; They could change eeeevery single other voice Megan has done, but they CAN'T change Cassidy's. That's just... too much. -.o; *pathetic* XD;

Korobooshi Kojiro
19th March 2005, 2:14 AM
Yeah, Ash's voice did sound weird at some parts. Its getting more deeper I think, but it was weird when he told Norman that TR was stealing his Pokemon. He sounded like a tattletale.

And, waht's upi with Kenny! He just appeared, they didn't really telll us who he was, we just know he works for Norman. And he dissapears in the next episode.

And did Slakoth keep his Japanese voice, it sonded like he went "Ke Kero".

And Caroline definately said "Good Lord". And to that reply about Posion Tail, it has a high critical hit ratio.

Jesse GS the II
20th March 2005, 7:31 PM
Well, I was concerned that 4Kids was really going to dumb down this mature, sophisticated, verges-on-the-point-of-something-I'd-write story premise. Much to my surprise, they didn't screw it up too much. I think even someone who hadn't seen the Japanese version in advance would still be able to tell that Kenny suspected Norman of cheating on Caroline. Still, it seems kind of paranoid of 4Kids to edit the scene where Norman blushes.

Other dub gripes include the script and acting. Some of the lines - and their delivery - were golden ("Do I have to draw you a map?" "Sure, if you think that'd help") while other scenes felt like they really needed an American rewrite (the "Dumb, Dumber, and Dumber-er" discussion, for instance). But one thing that pleased me - Slakoth, Vigoroth, and Slaking all sound almost identical to their Japanese equivalents. Nice to see 4Kids actually try to match voices on occasion.

So yeah, an interesting angle to take. What I like about the "Advance Generation" episodes is that they take existing characters from the video games and try to see how they can mix them up with the personalities they're given. The whole "potential affair" angle here was a nice spin on Norman and Caroline, and a good way to showcase both characters effectively. I look forward to seeing the next episode - well, I've seen the Japanese version, but I look forward to critiquing the dub, anyway (there's already one scene in "Balance of Power" that I know 4Kids destroyed without even having seen it).

Wolf Goddess
21st March 2005, 12:41 AM
And Caroline definately said "Good Lord". And to that reply about Posion Tail, it has a high critical hit ratio.

I was SHOCKED to hear her say that. That one bit, Ash did sound like a tattletale. Norman sounded...homosexual, and Nurse Joy's voice was annoyingly squeaky.

vulpix
31st March 2005, 8:34 PM
this was a really cute episode.

Sharpshooter
1st April 2005, 8:45 AM
Not bad a episode, funny again like the previous one, but a bit too lovey dovey lol. May and Max, as kids, should be embarressed their parents are celebrating their love with the anniversary, not excited!

I'm glad Ash didn't get involved in the love-mess, it doesn't suit his dense nature, instead stayed home with the pokémon. Although it does appear Norman is as equally dense as Ash is lol.

How did Brock know who Norman, Caroline and Kenny were? He's never even met them before!

Oh by the way I can confirm from the UK version(which is the same as the American version) there was no blushing scene here from Norman when he was talking to Nurse Joy. Some of you were questioning whether it was just US/4Kids edit like the badge case was.

Jo-Jo
1st April 2005, 8:53 AM
Wow, so many great lines in this episode... I see the "dumber-er" and "do I have to draw you a map?!" exchange has already been covered, but for some reason I cackled the most at this part:

Brock: "It means that I have to find out what's going on! This is a job for the original Love Doctor, and I'm sorry, but that means me. Nyai~!" *runs off*

Kenny: "Oh, no, we have to do something!"

Max: "I'm sure he'll be fine..."

Kenny: "But he just said 'Love Doctor'!"

*beat*

May, Max and Kenny: "Let's go!" *run after Brock*

Anyway, I don't have a problem with what the dubbers did with the episode. The suspected Norman/Joy affair was still perfectly clear, it's just that nobody ever stated it out loud on-screen.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior
1st April 2005, 7:20 PM
but they hinted about the possibility of an affair tho

Slaking looks just like my dad! and im not lying!!

it was a good ep

Norman is my fave gymleader!! but wehave to wait AGES for the next ep to air in UK land

Torkoal Stu
1st April 2005, 8:14 PM
I MISSED THIS EP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! But when is it reapeted?

Blazing Charmander
1st April 2005, 9:02 PM
This was a great episode overall. One of my favourites ever. When I first heard about it, it didn't sound too thrilling but when I saw it today, I changed my mind completely.

4Kids did a great job with this episode. It's probably one of their best dubbed episodes of this series. How they handled the affair storyline was very mature and they added some very funny quotes.

The part where Norman was acting dumb to Caroline leaving was just hilarious. I never saw that side of his character before. I also liked the Team Rocket's Dumb, Dumber and Dumber-er quote.

My favourite scene of this episode was probably where Team Rocket destroyed Norman's firework plans and he got really angry.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Sharpshooter
1st April 2005, 9:19 PM
I MISSED THIS EP! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! But when is it reapeted?

Sky Mix: Monday 4th April - 9:55am

Although check tomorrow morning at 10:00am on Sky Mix. My guide wont confirm what the episode is, but there's a good chance that might be it, considering Sky usually repeat the new episodes the day after.

Torkoal Stu
1st April 2005, 9:33 PM
Sky Mix: Monday 4th April - 9:55am

Although check tomorrow morning at 10:00am on Sky Mix. My guide wont confirm what the episode is, but there's a good chance that might be it, considering Sky usually repeat the new episodes the day after.

Thanks. But tomorow is Gulpin it down! I checked on my digital tv.guide which comes with normal sky.

Factory Head Noland
4th April 2005, 12:12 PM
This episode was on today, I missed it when it was on last.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was frustrating when no one would tell May, Max and Brock what was going on. I really liked seeing Vigoroth again and seeing Slakoth and Slaking. Man, Slaking slayed Team Rocket with it's Focus Punch! It was so cool, I can't wait for the Gym Battle next episode!

Overall 9.1/10.0

Lupin
4th April 2005, 12:46 PM
This episode was on today, I missed it when it was on last.

I really enjoyed this episode, it was frustrating when no one would tell May, Max and Brock what was going on. I really liked seeing Vigoroth again and seeing Slakoth and Slaking. Man, Slaking slayed Team Rocket with it's Focus Punch! It was so cool, I can't wait for the Gym Battle next episode!

Overall 9.1/10.0

Ditto, shame we have to wait for a while though before we see it. Sky Mix are repeating the episodes from last week again. I'm guessing its so we don't overtake the Americans.

Medea
31st May 2005, 4:09 AM
I just saw this episode again and...Bwahahaha! I still love this episode (beyond the crappy title)...The funniest part was when Brock referred himself as the "Love Doctor"...priceless!

Geki
16th August 2005, 12:16 AM
What a good episode, I enjoyed it more then the battle. Everything was good about it, but my favorite part was when everyone was in the Kitchen and May kept mentioning things that annoyed Caroline, like May having a Beautifly.

9/10

ShinyManafi
25th December 2006, 4:50 AM
This was a pretty good episode, I didn't know what was going on until about halfway through with Caroline and Norman

Battra
4th June 2007, 10:43 PM
Very heartwarming episode nice to see Norman put a lot of investment into celebrating their anniversary. It was funny seeing Brock try to fix the problem between Caroline & Norman and then getting distracted by Nurse Joy.

Eagledawn
17th May 2008, 1:25 AM
This episode was pretty sweet. It showed Norman's sensitive side. It was funny when he was acting totally oblivious to Caroline's anger (the map part). Brock was hilarious in this episode, too. It was good that the whole affair thing was suggested but not stated, for this episode is a bit mature.

Sharks Shouldn't Fly
19th June 2008, 7:46 PM
This was one of the few Hoenn episodes I actually liked. : D
But I seriously thought that Norman was cheating on Caroline for most of the episode. XD

Firegirl89
29th October 2008, 1:07 AM
lol this was probably one of my most fave episodes. Really interesting to say the least and a bit weird in some parts but interesting. I'm saying interesting way too much.

Tadashi
29th October 2008, 6:39 AM
I was actually surprised at this episode, because Caroline suspected that Norman was comitting adultery o_o Not that they said adultery... but we've never had that kind of thing before.

Needless to say, I loved the episode ^_____^ Even I had my doubts, that's how well-done the dialogue was! I loved the end, with all those Beautifly. Aww~ I'm glad Caroline had nothing to worry about after all ^_^

Igottapoo
11th January 2009, 6:44 AM
This was a rather humorous one. Silly May and Max blowing things out of proportion.

(s.i.e)
28th January 2009, 1:01 PM
this episode had some funny moments in it, i think a 7/10 should be nice.

Littlemyuu
11th March 2009, 3:01 AM
I like this episode, May's dad is my fave gym leader

Ash-kid
18th December 2009, 1:24 PM
Norman was very crafty...

And i loved to see his Slaking, it was so powerfull!

8/10

Lorde
24th December 2009, 7:33 AM
WOW! A possible affair in the Pokemon anime?

It would've been hectic if it were only true. I like that they added something so mature to the series. Even if it wasn't true and Norman wanted to surprise Caroline, you have to admit it wasn't something that kids should be learning at such a young age.

For that tasty bit of real life drama, a 9/10

NES
3rd March 2010, 9:25 AM
Haha it was hilarious they hinted Norman as a cheater, it was one of these absolutely fun episodes of Hoenn.

Sure it might be an humor younger kids might not get, but at least at the end it turned out to be a confusion and all. Joy happens to be an expert in fireworks and stuff.

Foremanalencia
19th April 2010, 11:16 AM
I am looking for a film I saw online and now can't remember the name of - the plot involved a woman, possibly British, traveling to Italy and the relationships she finds both before and after World War I. Any possibilities?

Willow's Tara
8th May 2010, 7:40 AM
This episode is quite interesting, a bit mature. I thought they would dumb it down before this episode happened when someone mentioned it once.

Of course it was a misunderstanding but for alot of people we do know exactly what was going on, Caroline suspected Norman of cheating on her with Nurse Joy. It's funny how Norman did not understand what they were talking about when they kept saying "Are you that Dense!" it's like Ash who doesn't seem to get it.
It was sweet though at the end when Norman had surprised her.

Also how did Brock know Caroline and Kenny? Ash probably told him about the battle but how could he know them?

KGB13
16th August 2010, 11:45 AM
This was quite an interesting episode.

I like how they went the mature route in this one with the whole Norman cheating with Nurse Joy thing, that's pretty edgy for pokemon. It was pretty funny and the ending was very nice.

Good episode.

Caseydia
22nd November 2010, 1:51 AM
I don't understand the reason for this episode. All they had to do was show May and Max coming home, see both of their parents and get the gym battle started already. They didn't need to show useless misunderstandings about nothing from which Caroline should have just asked her husband what was going on. This is why people break up over stupid things.

G50
4th March 2011, 6:49 AM
This episode was ok... It was a very odd episode. It was interesting how they thought Norman was cheating, he definitely was doing some very suspicious acts for awhile. It was great to see a Slowking for the 1st time. It was funny to see Caroline become so mad every time Beautifly was mentioned. The fireworks were very cool. It was interesting to see Max and May really blowing the situation out of proportions.

31/100

UnbelievableUrsula
6th March 2012, 7:54 PM
No communication is what my parents downfall lead to too. I just felt that both could have opened their mouths instead of opening it to other people causing worse things to happen. Stuff like this is where kids shouldn't been invloved. It's not their fault. Even though this is a kids show, the fact of the matter is that it's real. Excuse my ranting, it just hurts sometimes.

Vernikova
10th July 2012, 2:47 AM
A funny episode. Norma's supposed affair was handled rather well with the dub and it would've been a fun thing to watch the fallout if it was true. Of course, that would never happen on this show but it would've been funny.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine
27th September 2012, 10:17 PM
This is one of the better episodes of the 7th season. The idea of Norman having an affair makes me giddy. Would be even funnier if "Beautifly" were bleeped at certain moments.

7threst
29th September 2012, 7:08 PM
I thought this whole misconceived idea of this "secret-affair" going on between Nurse Joy and Norman was hilarious. I also loved the humor at this part and how Norman because infuriated when Team Rocket destroyed the original fireworks installation. A really solid prequel to the next gym battle.

Painkiller2001
5th November 2014, 6:46 AM
I swear, I heard Caroline say "Good Lord!" at one point. I'm not crazy! It's there!
I liked how it was made to seem like Norman was cheating on Caroline with Nurse Joy. Glad it was all just a misunderstanding, though, since that's not really something such a young audience should be learning about in this kind of show.

Lorde
3rd December 2014, 3:38 AM
I screamed when Norman blushed and winked at Nurse Joy. I totally understood why Caroline would be bothered that he was spending so much time with another woman. I liked the part where we saw Norman's Slakoth, Vigoroth and Slaking hanging out in their enclosure as well as seeing the Beautifly-shaped fireworks at the end of the episode.